Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    So, essentially after swithching out of 4wd prior to going in reverse, you are safely in 2wd and can take turns etc on dry pavement without damage- but your hubs are still locked and will reduce gas mileage etc.? And you should do the 3' reverse when done going in/out of 4wd.

Do I have that right?
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Yeah...
    Thanks a million.

It's nice to have a vehicle that some people actually have some love and passion for, and therefor actually know something about.

There are not a lot of vehicles with that kind of following. Thank god I don't have a mini-van!

I'm waiting to get some pix of my X back- I'll post them with a link.

Have a great day.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    According to Nissan, you CAN shift from 2WD to 4WD while moving at speeds up to (I believe) 25 mph. I am talking about the first time you go into 4WD, and not when you might be shifting back and forth after the hubs have already locked.

Since no one's mentioned it yet, be aware that if you do this, you will hear a significant clunking noise as the transfer case engages and the hubs lock. Personally, I dislike such noises and always stop before shifting.
    ....and thank you!

Just put on the bug defector- looks great, they have saved the hood paint on some other vehicles I've owned from rocks etc. The deflector really looks great on the X.

Also got some tail-light guards- interesting installation procedure, but they really look good too.
    if you look at the "02 X:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/46806/article.html

It looks like the leading edge on the front bumper is now plastic over the metal bumper rather than the painted metal like on the '01.

I have to say- I like the metal bumper up front- a lot more resistant to damage that will require replacement parts. I like that there is a metal bumper in the rear as well.

Just noticing...

I started on this board close to 2 years ago, and has always been a good source of information without getting flamed.
    The bug deflector is a good move ( should be called a hood protector since it does next to nothing when it comes to bugs ) Other minor add-ons that I found worth it; the rear window deflector, window visors and switching headlight bulbs to piaa's 9004's, then you can go from there.. center console, racks, bins etc.
    If anyone is curious on a few of my how-to's, my site is in my profile.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Yeah, I think you can shift in 4wd the first time while still moving at a moderte speed, but I hate the sound it makes. Nasty griding sound. I usually creep along at like 5mp and shift into 4wd for the first time. After that I have shifted in and out of 4wd at speeds up to about 40 mph or so with no problem. Very smooth transition.

If you need 4 wheel low, at a dead stop (don't forget to stop and put the transmission in park or N before shifting into low range - neutral is preferable) you'll still get a bit of a grind. That's normal tho. Every 4x4 I have ever owned makes a grinding sound when putting it into 4 wheel low. So don't be alarmed. Just remember to NEVER shift from 4hi to 4low without following the directions on the visor.
    I checked out your site- sweet X!

I like the little things like the mag-lite holder etc.

Where did you get the "Winter Front"? Or is that a hand made mod?

Sorry about the double post above- don't know what happened.

Best regards-
    Yeah, I think you can shift in 4wd the first time while still moving at a moderte speed, but I hate the sound it makes. Nasty griding sound. I usually creep along at like 5mp and shift into 4wd for the first time. After that I have shifted in and out of 4wd at speeds up to about 40 mph or so with no problem. Very smooth transition.

If you need 4 wheel low, at a dead stop (don't forget to stop and put the transmission in park or N before shifting into low range - neutral is preferable) you'll still get a bit of a grind. That's normal tho. Every 4x4 I have ever owned makes a grinding sound when putting it into 4 wheel low. So don't be alarmed. Just remember to NEVER shift from 4hi to 4low without following the directions on the visor.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    Wow...did little ol' me with my 4wd question get this big ol' discussion going? (ha, ha) Thanks for all the info, everybody! Yeah, I'm a little timid first time out because I don't want to mess it up and not know what I'm doing. Don't think I'm ready to try going through mud.
    Unfortunately, I can't make the off-road road trip but if it's a nice place for 4wd greenhorns like myself, please give me any instructions on where to head out there and more specific directions. Outside of Front Royal isn't too long a ways for me to go. Is removing the step rails a pain? Any secrets to doing it?
    Look under the X.. 2 arms from the rails to the body.. take the bolts out from the body and you're done. Little hint, after removing the rails, put the bolts back in. Makes it easier putting the rails on later instead of trying to dig dirt out of the holes.

BTW.. the X looks better Dirty...
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Does the Xterra even have sway (antisway) bars?

If so, can you disconnect them easily for off road?
    radiogirl: email me at bskohler@eudoramail.com and I'll send you some directions to the off-road trails.

The x does have antisway bars, both front and rear. Most folks just fashion their own disconnects for the rear with polyeurethane bushings. You'll gain a little bit more wheel travel, but not major. Disconnecting the front is a bit more difficult, and of course, should only be done by experienced off-roaders. Body roll is greatly increased.

Removing the step rails is a must for any kind of moderate off-roading. Not so much because they might get bent or dinged up, but because I've seen more than one person get them stuffed into the front wheel pretty badly. Also they just make it easier to get hung up on something.
    "...Disconnecting the front is a bit more difficult, and of course, should only be done by experienced off-roaders. Body roll is greatly increased."

I guess that is why they do it. (Except instead of body roll, it is called "articulation" when off roading.)
    Yeah. But by body roll I mean the X feels a little too "tippy" for me. Articulation is increased, but the X feels like the roof is going to come over on you. Takes some getting used to.
    Same thing with revolvers. I had a Jeep Cherokee with revolvers and the whole thing felt like it was going to tip over all the time.
    Someone here was not familiar with the Gold Rush color... here it is on my new '01 SE 5sp. Sorry I'm in the pix. They were taken in Duluth MN, the bottom one is overlooking Lake Superior. Nice spot.

Take a look...

http://www.mouseparty.com/X_1.jpg

• msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Gold Rush looks nice! I saw a nice Alpine Green SE in Florida this weekend for 23,300.

Xcanuk,

Thanks for the tip on the step rails. If I can weke-up early I might join cygnusx1 and crew this weekend.

cygnusx1, which rest-stop are you meeting at again?
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    John,
    That is a very nice color/Xterra. And you got a more than sweet deal on it. I hope I can get something close to that. I still want to see good pics with silver ice and black. I am still in a toss up with colors, I want something classy, looks good clean and dirty, or something that makes a statement. Not the yellow, just not my fancy! But I will be back in Sept, so I will seal a deal then. I am still talking with the dealer right now because there is nothing else I can do.
    Thanks- I love the gold.

I think the "Mineral Blue" is a really cool color too. It has no metallic flake and is sort of a gray-blue- very "UTE" looking.

Silver, in my opinion is too common (but nice).
    Black is good- but shows dirt and scratches- my wife has a black Eclipse.

I vote "no" on yellow too. Like it now- but probably would be tired of it before I was tired of the X.

Hmmmm. Have fun!
    I posted a bunch of Xterra photos.

Many of the new '02 and some '01's of different colors for "embassy"...

They are in a directory that you can click and view...

There are some good '02 pix.

http://www.mouseparty.com/xterra/

Hope they are useful.

• xterracopxterracop Member Posts: 14
    Here are some pics of my super black marine. It gets dirty easier but looks soooooo sweet when clean. Plus as canuk said they look better dirty.

http://www.angelfire.com/il3/pwh/page4.html

At my site.. under Mt Washington, there are a few line up pics.

I still say Black is Best.
    Black does rock.

No offense meant in my comment of why I didn't choose it.
    My wife thought I was nuts for picking ANYTHING BUT Black!
    Let's face it- The X looks cool in any color.
    You all have some nice X's that is for sure. The pictures are more than great and I really appreciate all the help you have posted. Since I do not have much to do besides play with my wife and go to the embassy to work, I look forward to checking this everyday. Talk with you all later, I have to go to the Embassy to work!
    Again, Black, Gold, and Silver are still my preferences and the pics that I saw re-enforce that idea!
    out here, Jason
    Originally I wanted yellow, to me, it shows the lines of the X off the best. I work with insulation, Fiberglass is yellow, good tie in for the truck... wife wanted Black. As it turned out, the only manual ( which was more important )they had coming in was black so the wife thinks she won, and now doesn't mind all the xtra's I add to it. ( I'm further ahead ).
    Hindsight.. glad I ended up with black.. dirt and all.. I think I would have gotten tired of driving a bright yelllow X... but that's just me.
    Black looks menacing, is classy and is so nice when clean. Every auto I ever owned was/is black except my X (Just Blue).

I am really in love with the Alpine Green and Mineral Blue colors. Seem to see many Just Blue X's on the roads. Just curious...does anyone know if there were more Just Blue X's manufactured than other colors?
    But I think we got limited on colors as well in 00. White (rare) Red, Green, Black, & Yellow. Finally saw Blue last week ( maybe 01 ).. and one Bronze.. but out of state plates.
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Actually, I'm under the impression that more Silver Ice Xterras were produced than any other color. I can't vouch for the veracity of that though. I read somewhere that Solar Yellow was supposed to be more limited than it ended up being - it might actually be 2nd most popular. Again, I'm relying on memory, and that's not always the best idea. :o) I rarely see Just Blues around here though; I think I've only seen one. That's kinda strange considering I'm in the state where "Everyone's blood runs Kentucky blue." Heh.

xcanuk - I missed the package today, but I'll be at home tomorrow to get it. :o)

Mindie
    The dealer has a marketshare breakdown by color.

I saw it- but didn't memorize it. It is on a card that you view options when ordering.

Silver was way out in front, with Black in second... from there I can't remember.
  • badgerx1badgerx1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone
    I have been watching this board for months and really appreciate the info as I am preparing to purchase a new X. I am waiting to see the prices for the new 2002's. I am hoping that they will not be too much higher than the 2001. I have noticed that the 2001's have come down to below invoice. Is there any chance that the 2002 will be had for a similar price, or are they going to go for sticker due to popularity? If anyone has a good feel for the market I would appreciate it >:)
    '02 prices will not be discounted. Nissan is counting on this vehicle to move quickly. With all the awesome enhancements over prior years, do you think they will need to lower prices?

'01 prices are sweet now, but I would still wait for the '02 if I were in the market now.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    I really, really liked the Mineral Blue and the Just Blue colors. I ended up with the Just Blue and after seeing a Mineral Blue SE on the highway a couple of weeks ago, I believe I made the right choice, given the color match with the trim, etc. In the Wash. DC area, I don't think the yellow has been a big deal, except maybe for beach aficionados or the really young folks (under 25). We're on a kind of conservative mindset in this area, where everybody wants their house to look like a Georgian Colonial on the outside and then a California contemporary on the inside! Anyway, I've seen many silver, black and green in this area, along with the blue. Still haven't seen a salsa one on the road...I think it looks more cranberry than salsa, but is still very nice. A couple of gold rush ones but never seen a khaki one, though I would think that to be a good color for dirt vs. clean vs. fade-factor. I don't think I'd go for that new blue, Shock Blue, is it? The blue equivalent of the yellow....too bright for me to stare at for ten years. I got some Southwestern design seat covers for my front seats and they look very nice with the Just Blue color. Yeah, that dusk/grey/whatever interior doesn't exactly mesh, but from the street, the seat covers look nice and help me indulge myself in my cowgirl-wannabe fantasies!! I think I lived in Santa Fe in another life.....! I'm also getting the wind/rain shields for the windows; I found a set for all four windows for about $60.00 on xterraparts.com, which is a parts dealer in Texas. Autosport Catalog has the front pair for about $40, the back pair for about$30 or so. Of course, they carry them for all makes, but the xterraparts.com seems best. Anybody ever dealt with them? Any problems on ordering or service?
    I have bought items from them- quick delivery, no problems. Very professional.

Also- I have seen Khaki- it is a brown version of mineral blue. Looks almost FLESH tone. Very NON metallic.

The Khaki has a sort of Forest Service truck appeal.

Don't order one without seeing it in person first. Does not look like pictures in brochure.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Xterra was built to be a rugged, off-road-worthy sport-ute that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, fits in any size garage, and doesn't look like a geek-mobile in the process. I would say mission accomplished."

From the June report of our Long-Term Road Test of the 2000 Nissan Xterra SE.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

That is a quote that says it all.
    Well I went to visit my wife in Rio for the weekend and man, I cannot wait to retire there! Not only do you get a bang for your buck but you get...RIO DE JANEIRO! Lol, what is not to like about that beautiful country that has it all! I am still in limbo about the colors (black, silver and now gold rush). As well as the '02 4x2 SE or the '01 4x4 SE. I will probably be getting the '01 because I am with a sort of budget, but really like what they have done with the '02 upgrades and a part of me is willing to sacrafice a 4x4 for a 4x2 (just to get the upgrades). Do you all think it is worth the downgrade in muscle power, coming for someone that will be living in NY for 3 years? I am divided because I like that safety in the snow and the possiblity to learn to off-road. I guess it may all come down to, "what am I going to be doing with it, huh?" Talk with you all later, tchaou from Brazil...Jason
    Get the 4x4.

That is really what the X is about.

I'd look at your budget from there.

If I was getting a 2wd vehicle- it would NOT be rear wheel drive like the X. If you are going for 2wd get the Escape/Tribute- it is FRONT drive in non-4wd models.

Just my opinion...
  • woohahwoohah Member Posts: 14
    I am thinking about buying a new or used X. Are there any problems with this vehicle I should be aware of.

Thanks,
  • badgerx1badgerx1 Member Posts: 4
    hey all
    Does anyone know the exact date the new 2002's will be available? I'm chompin at the bit here!
    but I was thinking the opposite. I have a 92 Civic, and now a 97 Jeep Wrangler, and I was thinking (before buying the jeep) that "my next car will definitely have rear wheel drive". Well, I did it. I like Hondas and the Civic, and fwd is good in the snow, but I still like the feel of rwd the other 98% of the time here in North Central Massachusetts.
    Sasquatch you are right. I had my Minnesota winter thinking cap on!

Let me re-phrase- if "I" were to buy a 2 wheel drive vehicle it would have front wheel drive since I am often in snow and bad road conditions here in the Land of 10,000 really chilly flakes.

In a dryer area there may be reasons to stick with rear wheel drive.

Thanks!
    There aren't all that many rear wheel drive cars available anymore.

You have your trucks and suv's. You have the Camaro/TransAm/Mustang. You have the Corvette/CrownVic/Caddys/Viper. That is about all I can think of for American cars. What about the Plymouth Prowler? (Do they still make that?)

Otherwise, you have the Miata and a bunch of real expensive luxury/exotic type cars. The Nissan 240Z was a standout, but that is gone.

I must be missing something, but for the most part, the Miata is the closest to an affordable, sporty rwd car left.
    Isn't a 4x4 cheaper than a 4x2 (on insurance) due to the safety factors that a 4x4 will give you? How are the winters in NY? As I will be in Newburgh for about 3 years, starting September 01, so I want to be well prepared.
    Insurance on my 4x4's has always been higher. Reason being that they assume you're going to drive it off a cliff out in the mountains somewhere. 4wd isn't considered a safety feature the way ABS and air bags are.
    I agree on the insurance being higher on 4x4...vehicle value is hiogher/cost of repair in heavy front-end damage higher- causing higher rates.
    with the added safety options of the '02 it sounds better for me. The airbags and all, even though I am taking the risk of getting stuck in snow with the 4x2. I am also looking at having a family down the road, so I have to think about them and their safety! I guess if the snow it too bad then I will just stay home. What are some "home remidies" if you do not have 4x4 and you need to get around in things like that? Load your back down or what? I will not be doing much off roading especially the kind that I hear many of you all doing. Just never have gotten into that. Just the little things like camping and such.
    I can't name one extra safety option the 02 has that the 00 or 01... unless there is another generation of airbags ?? The 4wd is you're best option for getting around safely when ever snow is concerned.. don't automatically think of 4x4 with offroad solely...many more advantages.

If you do want to keep the rear end traction on a 4x2.. use salt bags, new bags come in tough plastic and last without spilling all over the place... usable traction if you are in a bind.
    bags of sand (can be used UNDER tires for traction as well)

cement blocks

good tires

tire studs

chains

chains are probably the best option and can make a pony car climb trees in the winter.
    I have not read about any safety enhancements on the '02 at all (and I've looked).

I believe the changes are cosmetic.

J