Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• dbtcbarbdbtcbarb Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying an XTerra 2001. Is everybody satisfied with the safety and reliability of their X?
  • xeroxero Member Posts: 5
    Other than the person who posted above you...
    Yes. I have a 2001 and would only replace it with maybe a 2002! Hopefully Nissan will take care of what sounds like a rare example with bcollins3. If you read these posts for a week you will see we are more than happy, we are sick.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Don't remember hearing about any braking problems but a couple of people have complained about pulling to the right. Don't know if there was ever a definitive answer.
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    I'm convinced that the pulling to the right (or left) is due to poor tire construction. Mine used to pull one way or the other and I had the tires balanced and aligned probably 5 or 6 times with little help. However, after I ignored it and drove another 5000 miles (currently at almost 13000) and broke in the tires thoroughly, the pulling faded. There isn't any sign of uneven wear, suggesting a good alignment (which means that I didn't just drive in a mal-aligned state and wear the tires into alignment).

Also, there is I believe one tire that goes out of balance when it heats up (warps out of shape). When I first start driving at 70 MPH when its cold, there is absolutely no vibration. But once it warms up, I feel a slight vibration appear. The vibration is either in the steering wheel or the floor of the truck depending on how I've rotated the tires.

There is a small chance that it could be a rim and not a tire, but I'm hoping its just a tire.

Oh well, guess I'll just tough it out until I need new tires and replace them with better ones...
    BTW, I have a 2000 X meaning I have the BF Goodrich Long Trails.
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 X as well. I would like to know what exactly the recall was and why? Thanks!
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Q:How can you tell you have more power?
    A: Only by stomping on the gas.

Q:Why did your milage drop?
    A:'Cuz you're stomping on the gas.
    uhh...yeah. Nice.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    mmmm.. things only turn blue when its cold here in canuck-land.

Don't know about muddy snow, but I know you shouldn't eat yellow snow.
    ok.. if you got them in the back, what do you put on the front ??
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the recall info. I'll have to look into it.
  • naturallyguardnaturallyguard Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2001 Xterra SE and I absolutely love it! People keep saying oh that's a soccor Mom car and I tell them !! I used to drive a mini van. This is not EVEN CLOSE! There haven't been any problems with it yet..my insurance is dirt cheap so I am one happy camper
  • naturallyguardnaturallyguard Member Posts: 2
    Someone tell me ..My 2001 X-terra was painted Salsa Red. The dealer told me that this was an error and that this was a color they are using on the "other" nissians. He said the other red was very bright..Mine seems to be a sort of candy apple. There are very very few Xs around here and I haven't seen any this color..Someone tell me was this BS or so oddball Xterra
    Salsa was/is a color that Nissan did paint the Xterra in limited quantities. In fact, if you checkout Edmund's Review of the 2001 Xterra, one of the colors listed is Salsa (though the color listed doesn't even come close to matching the real color -- true for all of the colors listed). I even saw one on the road once. The dealer was completely BSing you as do most dealers trying to make a sale.
  • annyeoannyeo Member Posts: 2
    So I guess if my X is a soccer mom's car then all I need is the kids and the balls. Oh, wait, I just found where I can buy the balls. Maybe I can find a big weiner for the tail hitch. Sheesh. Who thinks of these things?
    balls, big weiner, and one hell of a rack... boy, they do grow things weird in California ??
    I was driving the X. The road was clear and I must have glanced away for a second and the next thing I knew, there was a huge pile of cardboard right in front of the X and before I could brake or swerve, the X rode up onto the cardboard with the driver's side wheels and then rolled onto its side. It was clearly my fault. Speed was probably a factor. Although the fact that we were all laughing hysterically at how spastic I was with the R/C Xterra's controls may have had something to do with it. :-)
    got me.
    ;-{
    did the mini airbag deploy ? Check the ABS !!
  • xterricalxterrical Member Posts: 5
    Hats off to likexterra!!! Many thanks for providing the solution to the most dreaded "dashboard" vibration that has pressed on my last nerve for months now. I actually had a service appointment scheduled this week to have my dealer look into it along with performing the A/T shift cable lock plate recall work. After reading your post, I spent $2.43 on a bag of zip ties and presto, my problem is gone! I was dreading the thought of the dealer possibly having to tear into my dash to search for said vibration. Now I can get back to the business of enjoying my X!
    No the mini-airbag did not deploy. Warranty claim?

We did have to use the mini-Hi-Lift jack to lift the corner of the rocking chair while an R/C Chevy Avalanche used its mini-winch to pull the X out from under. Careful winching got it onto all 4 wheels again. I would also note that the X obviously has stock tires, The Avalanche has Super Swampers. Fortunately, no one was hurt, only the cats were terrorized.
    If the 2001 R/C will have the supercharge volts we are all waiting for, but rumors are it will come with the new titanium faced remote controls, and tires from Mattel.

On a different note, got the rear deflector for the X, seems to keep the muck off, but the roads haven't been overly wet to compare. Its a relatively easy install, requires an extra pair of hands, and a little guts for drilling holes. Nissan Canada sucks again cuz they don't bother to give us the template and proper screws for the install.
  • parksrparksr Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased an Xterra XE w/three packages, side molding, mud guards, floor mats, and tow packages in Raleigh, NC. Two days earlier, I had and Xterrable experience at BRAD FARRAH NISSAN. Sales mgr. did not honor agreed on price and pulled a "bait and switch" by saying price did not include tow hitch. Have written Better Business Bureau, Nissan Consumer Affairs, and the VP of Marketing and Sales for Nissan North America. I warn you again, Don't Deal with BRAD FARRAH NISSAN!!!!
  • xing1xing1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a tight 2001 blk xterra SE. Now I need to pimp it out with some accessories. Any good web pages out there. thanxxx
  • milleraymilleray Member Posts: 3
    This is one of the better sites in my opinion www.xterraownersclub.com there are tons of links to others sites dealing Xterras. Its almost cult like, excepted no shaved heads. Enjoy
  • xing1xing1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks "milleray". I'll be sure to check it out as soon as i stop driving my X around.
  • astro21astro21 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buyin and Xterra XE 2WD with the three packages and would like to know the following info:
    1. I am going to offer the dealer 2% over edmund's invoice which totals 23,78.53. Is that unrealistic.

2. The financing for maxima is so good 6.9% interest. What kind of financing have you gotten throught the nissan dealers? I have decent credit.

Thank you and any other advice is welcomed!
    first time buyer here
    Why offer over invoice?- No matter what you offer they will come back higher. You can raise a low offer but you can't lower a high one.
    The Maxima has low financing because they aren't selling. Call around to Credit Unions in your area. Most are open to anyone now. They tend to have the lowest rates.
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    i wouldn't think about paying that much for a 2WD...i picked up my Just Blue '01 X w/ 3 pack and side molding, mud flaps, yada yada yada for $23,300!!! that's for a 4x4. by the way, my dog has been pretty terrorized w/ my R/C...the tires do suck though, especially when they keep gettin bit by a 12lb Westie!!
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    actually he's about 22 lbs... DOH!!
    my 2 > 85lb boys run as soon as I put my R/C on the ground.....
    That's odd. I thought cats ran and dogs attacked. Are you all sure you have dogs?

:-) :-) :-)

Kidding, kidding, don't bite.
  • staridestaride Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me if you've had any problems changing the oil on your Xterra? I'll be buying one tomorrow.
  • neusslneussl Member Posts: 28
    Oil change is easy; in fact it holds just about 3 quarts w/o filter and only about 3 and a half quarts with filter change.
  • staridestaride Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, I had read another site where the person felt it was hard to get at the filter to change the oil. I will be buying my car from an internet quote at 1.5% above invoice price. If the deal goes well, I will let you all know.
  • dawgfan89dawgfan89 Member Posts: 1
    XSE,

What type paint did you use for your silver R/C? I have the silver ice Xterra so I would like to paint my R/C to match instead of the yellow! Would model paint work you think?

Thanks!
    Too damn polite, but at least they run to the real X.

The hardest part to changing the oil is removing the skid plate to get to it.. maybe a little more trouble than a car, but no biggie..
  • likexterralikexterra Member Posts: 17
    Yep, it's easy. Heck, with the ground clearance under there it's a breeze.
    Make a note, here's how to change the oil easily...

There are 6 bolts holding the skid plate (splash guard) in place. Remove all but the center rear one. The center rear need only be loosened a few turns, the plate is notched to slide off of it, this way you don't have to juggle the plate in mid-air.
    There are 6 plastic pins holding the rubber side flaps to the plate, ignore them. Pull the flaps from the frame by popping the large grommet that hold each to the frame.
    There ya go, filter is right there at the bottom, oil drain is another foot or so back at the bottom too.

Brent
  • xterricalxterrical Member Posts: 5
    All you guys seem to be having a blast with the Xterra R/C's. I have looked at 2 Targets here (NC) and they don't have them. Does anyone know if any stores other than Target carry the mini-X's?

I looked at www.tycorc.com in hopes of ordering one direct, but didn't see them at all there. Also, do they only come in yellow? I have a Denim Blue '00 XE and would like a mini-me to match :)
    To date, I've only read people being lucky at target... in yellow.
    A can of model paint should correct the color match, I think some have mentioned using tubes of color match paint for their X to paint the R/C.. but not sure on it..
    So is this the updated board since it was shut down a while back?

I can't believe no one has posted for two days.
  • wmtroutwmtrout Member Posts: 2
    This new format sucks!
  • vykervyker Member Posts: 1
    Folks,

This is the first time I have used this board, so please be patient. I have a 2000 Xterra XE 4x4 and it runs great.
    However I here a lot about a R/C that people are buying.
    My questions are... Where do you buy it? What is it? What is its main purpose? Also what is a ballpark figure for purchasing the item.

Also I am thinking of using a synthetic, rather than 10W30 oil. Any thoughts on switching ?

I live in South Texas if that makes a difference on what type of oil to use.

Thanks.
    I would have to agree with wmtrout...this format does suck. It somehow makes navigation harder and it's harder on the eyes. Anyway, can't really complain about something you're not paying for so I'll just shut up now.

vyker, the R/C can be purchased only at Target stores. To date, no one that I know of has reported seeing them at any other store. In fact, we were talking about the R/C just a few posts up. Scroll up a few posts and you'll see several posts covering the R/C topic.

Several people, myself included, use synthetic rather than standard oil in the X. I have noticed that with synthetic the clunking noise that comes from the engine for a few seconds on cold starts is no longer there. Dealer told me that no harm would come to the X if standard oil were to be used and the clunking is normal, but I'd rather not take a chance with extra wear and tear.

Good Luck

P.S. -- If you choose spell check and decide to reedit the message some more, READ THROUGH AGAIN because the stupid spell checker replaces words it does not know with the default words in the drop down boxes without asking. I really hate this thing now.
    R/C Xterra is a small, radio-controlled Xterra truck that looks just like the full-size ones.

You play with it. You crash it into things. You terrify animals and small humans with it. They cost about $40 at Target stores. Buy one. You will like it.
    I think I finally saw your X in Columbia yesterday (Saturday) waiting at the light on Little Patuxant (can never remember how to spell it) to make a left on Broken Land Pkwy towards the mall. I'm not 100% sure it was your X or who was driving it (it was raining), but it was a denim blue X with oversized 32" tires. Let me know if this was you. I went passed your X and made a right on Broken Land towards Rte. 29 -- I drive a silver ice X with grill guard, tail light guard, hella 500 driving lights on guard, and deeply tinted windows.

I can't believe the drop off of posts since the format was changed. It's annoying, but it isn't worth staying away from!
    My wife went to the mall yesterday. I'm the only DB X w/ 32s that I know of, though Allen/Xterrafiles says he saw one on the beltway a couple weeks ago. He was on his way to BWI from VA and I was headed the other way to work and I saw him just after the 270 exit. He said he saw me too, but I was driving the Civic. He said it was a blue X with big tires, so maybe I'm not alone. I did pick up a blue X as I merged on from 29 that was never far from me around the beltway due to traffic, but it didn't have big tires.

I don't suppose you caught the tags on the one you saw, mine are OFFROAD, can't miss 'em :)

Brent
    There are no checkboxes beside the posts anymore. It used to be every time I launched the shortcut to the board it automatically took me to the last post I had seen, even if I hadn't updated my placemarks. I'm not quite sure how, but I'm sure it's a cookie. Not sure if the new board will behave the same way. Not enough posts to roll over to a new page yet I think.

Brent
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    I haven't figured out the new system yet, and I can't find the placemarks anymore either. Actually, my bookmark still takes me to the old style boards and it has some different posts that never showed up on this board. I didn't even know there was a new board until I re-searched for Xterra when no new posts came up for two days on the old one. I'm going to miss being able to save posts through the placemarks... maybe this is something they'll add back sometime in the future?
    I noticed the lack of placemarks too. I've been reading the same posts for a couple of days now, scrolling through till I get to the end. I don't like the look of this new board. Is the old one still around? I haven't been able to get to it. Why do we always have to "fix" things that aren't broken?