Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• debs797debs797 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the update on the Head Gasket! I have 2001 Xterra SE, bought new w/28,000 miles. I had my first brakes replaced at 9,000 miles, then again at 16,000, and the 3rd set at 24,000. Also rear door leaks, frame seems bent or off center-rides down a straight road crooked (to the right).Replaced sunroof, horn 4 times, carpeting in the front, and rubber run around the driver window (it still rattles).

I too have an engine noise upon excelleration, and the catal-converter seems to be very loud.

I have taken it into service 5 times in 13 months, and have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, NC Attorney Generals Office, and the BBB Autoline (which is required by NC). But beware--the Autoline and the Lemon Law are very different. Autoline will arbuitrate for you (with a neutral person), but replacement of a vehicle requires deductions for warrantys, taxes, interest, and mileage, which could just be "fair market value", which you could get just trading in. The Lemon Law, however, will replace and includ all interest from the first service, taxes, warranties paid for and any extras you may have incurred.

I am awaiting an arbitration now, after a meeting with the GM of the Dealership(who states that these items are only cosmetic, and I do not have a fighting chance in h$%#). But, now I am determined, mainly because I never had 1 problem with the GM car I traded in that had 140,000 miles on it. I believe that my vehicle was made on a Friday afternoon at 4:30p.m.

If anyone has dealt with an arbitration or the Lemon Law, I would like suggestions...thanks.
  • sammy121sammy121 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an `02 Xterra XE (V6) with a 5-speed in October. So far everything has been fine. The only thing I'm finding a little peculiar is that in 5th gear, at highway speeds (~65 mph), the engine runs at 3000 rpm. At top gear I would expect it to run a bit lower. I asked the service manager at the dealer and he claimed that 3000 rpm at that speed is normal. I'm just curious to know if anyone else owns an Xterra (3.3L) with a 5 speed and experiences the same thing. I have a friend who owns a 2000 Xterra (V6) with an automatic transmission and her truck only seems to run at 2000 rpm at that speed. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • holiday3holiday3 Member Posts: 12
    I just took my X in again (fourth time) today and because I went to Consumer Affairs and this is my fourth time, they gave me a rental car. They don't normally do this, but they do have a form called the "Goodwill" form for giving you a rental car for all your troubles. I think you did get a lemon. How did you realize your truck was leaking coolant? Puddles, or calcium deposit stains? I think your problems are definately serious enough for them to consider! Those are major problems!
  • grem336grem336 Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 2002 Xterra in June. The vehicle pulls to the right. I can change lanes without even touching the wheel. If you hit the brakes and your hands aren't on the wheel, the wheel will turn sharply to the right. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have taken it to the garage 5 times and now am in the process of using the lemon law. I have spoken with other Xterra owners (at gas stations, etc) but could really use input on this from other Xterra owners. This is something I would like to print and bring with me to the arbitration. I have taken this vehicle to 3 other garages and have been told there is a steering, suspension or braking problem with the truck. Anyone else out there with the same problem. Everyone I spoke with who owns an Xterra claims to have a right pull problem.
    My Xterra pulls slightly to the right. Not anything as bad as yours. Sounds like a bad alignment but I guess it's more than that. I will be going to get an alignment for mine soon. If it doesn't correct the problem, I will let you know.
    To Holiday 3. Thanks for the information. Just for your info. There is a tech bulletin on the pulling. It didn't correct mine but it may correct yours. Tech bulletin #01-083. Good luck with yours.
  • sammy121sammy121 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 Xterra pulled slightly to the right when I first got it. Nothing serious, but it was a little annoying after a few hundred miles. I brought it back and had an alignment done. It seems to still pull very slightly, but nothing that I'm worried about.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    You are running at the right rev's for a manual, AT's are geared differently and lower than manuals. About 500 less is a good guess if I remember right, I have already tested this on a road trip, pacing with a bud with an AT. Doesn't seem to effect MPG that much though.

Nice to see this board active again.
    Thanks for the information. Where do I find these tech bulletins?
    I got the tech bulletin # from the Nissan Service Manager. I called Nissan to verify the #. Also, there is a website. I have it at home. I think it is called Alldata. You can verify the tech bulletin but you have to pay to get a copy of it from that site. Nissan and the dealerships will not give you a copy or let you see one. The tech bulletin for pulling actually started with the Nissan truck - Frontier - on the 2000 model.
    Thanks for your information on the pulling. I now have 3 messages - 4 including mine - with pulling problems. Deb797 had the pulling problem in her message posted prior to mine. Anyone else out there with the same?
    Sorry I corrected last message. The website is Alldata.com This will give you tech bulletin info.
    If you are looking for something to print out

Go over to www.xterraownersclub.com
    do a search for "pulling to the right" in the tire, wheels and suspensuion forum and a few good threads will show up.

I couldn't link the threads directly due to the length of them
    Thanks for info. I will check that site out. Dealership can't seem to fix the problem. I am looking for more backup for arbitration than the 3 independent mechanic reports that I have. Hope that site gives me a little bit more. Thanks again
    Donna - The dealer is telling me I have no leak. It obviously is leaking since you can trace the dye. Please let me know how you realized you were leaking coolant? What tests did they perform to actually take it in and replace the manifold and head gasket? I am ready to go to arbitration. Any details you could give me will help. I am completely frustrated. Thanks for your help!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    TSB summaries are available at the www.nhtsa.dot.gov site and in The Edmunds Maintenance Guide in addition to alldata.com. Getting the full text is trickier - sometimes your service manager will make a copy for you.

Steve, Host

• debs797debs797 Member Posts: 2
    I am also preparing for arbitration. Let me know how it goes. How many miles on your X? Someone here also dealt with Concord Nissan with a bad experience. Let me know...I think I also need to check my head gasket and back bumper for rust.
    Thanks Steve. My mechanic is looking into getting that bulletin printed for me.
  • dmf2dmf2 Member Posts: 5
    Holly- I believe every time I had a problem my truck's temperature gauge went to H (I also smelled a foul odor). The first time I took it in, they told me the truck over heated and that the intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced. This last time when they replaced the head gasket, again the temperature gauge went to H, check engine soon light went on. I brought it to another Nissan dealer and they told me that it was leaking coolant and that the head gasket needed to be replaced. They ended up giving me a story that they couldn't work on if for another two weeks and that I should bring it back to where I bought the truck. I did and they took two weeks to fix. Did you try bringing it to another dealer to check it out? You won't believe this, my truck is in the shop again today (I just got it back last week)Since they replaced the Head Gasket every time I come to a stop and step on the gas there is a hesitation/pull, its just not right. Today after having the truck all day they called at 4:00pm to ask if I could leave the truck there another day. They claim they been talking to Nissan all day and can't seem to find what is causing this. They need to speak with Nissan again tomorrow. I've just about had it. I started filling out the paper work for the CT lemon law. I think now I have a pretty good shot at receiving a full refund. In the two years I've had this truck its been in the shop off and on for 32 days. Sorry I don't know exactly what tests they performed. Is your check engine light going on at all? Over heating?
    Thanks for replying. Actually, my head gasket never overheated. Whatever leak there is, it is tiny. So, they did what they could for now to test for a leak. We will check again for traces of dye in a couple thousand miles. You will probably most likey be able to get a refund. It sounds like you got a lemon. It is wierd, I have never had problems with my other 2 Nissans I have owned. I am convinced there are just lemons out there with every brand of car. It is too bad. Good luck though! By the way, I am from CT. Where do you live?
    The problem with my Xterra started below 2,000 miles. I now have 7,000 and the problem is just getting worse. I don't think they can keep these things in alignment. Nissan used the an older style recirculating ball steering system in the Xterra. If this system has a bad valve or leaks in anyway, it has a tendency to cause a drift in the vehicle. Thats why other SUVs have rack & pinion (not sure on that spelling). I will let you know how I make out with arbitration. They still haven't set a date yet, but I have filed the papers.
  • dmf2dmf2 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Stratford. What part of CT are you from? On a side note, the truck went in on Thursday and as of today Monday they still have it. They called Friday saying they've been on the phone all day with Nissan in California and can't seem to find out what is causing the truck to hesitate when you step on that gas. I will let you know what happens with the Lemon Law.
  • 1234567max1234567max Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I own a 2000 chevy suburban and its great, but I want to buy a 2001 Xterra XE V6 4x4 for my son. So anyone that has this car can you tell me any problems that have occured and whether you would recommend it for a first time driver. How does the 4x4 work and is it a lever or button. How much should I expect to pay for this car with low mileage (under 25,000). Thanks for help
    I was raised in Canton CT. It is west of Hartford. Let us know what happens with the lemon law! It puzzles me how their own mechanics can't figure out problems and they need to call into Nissan. If you took the vehicle into a regular Nissan mechanic, I bet they could figure out the problem. Who knows. I feel bad for you!
  • jktottenjktotten Member Posts: 13
    I am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and can give me some advice. My 2001 XTerra is about to come out of it's 60,000km warranty period. It's only 2 year old and I'm noticing little tiny small rust specs all over the rear lift gate panel, and along both the passenger and driver's side doors (near the base). These specs can be removed by just scratching them with your finger so they are just sitting on top of the paint currently.

When I complained to the dealership about this happening, they tell me that it's environmental, and that it's a normal driving condition for this to occur. It's something along the lines of picking up metal flecks from the road as I drive. They suggest that I need to wash the truck specially once a year and apply this plato like substance all over the body to remove these little metal flecks. So Nissan doesn't cover this, but they do admit by not removing these flecks over the long haul it will damage the body of the vehicle.

I have heard a second story ("unofficially") indicating that following transportation of new vehicles they are suppose to do some sort of treatment process to the brakes (I'm not sure why). If this process isn't done correctly the side-effect is that the brakes release small metal chips that heat up and will stick to the panels of the truck and begin to rust on the surface.

Does anyone have a similar problem on their XTerra? Could someone verify if this "unofficial" story might actually be true, and that I should work harder to get Nissan to do something about this. Has anyone heard of this 1 year maintenenace that we're suppose to do?

I have owned previous new vehicles in the past and I have never seen this on a 2 year old vehicle. I'd love to hear your responses as soon as possible since my warranty is coming up quickly and I have limited time to address this.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm not sure of the cause, but new cars frequently have little rust spots on them; supposedly from rail shipment (aka "rail dust"). They are on the surface and are easily removed with a $10 clay bar (the silly putty/playdough stuff). Mothers is one brand. My guess is that's all you're seeing here, although some people have complained about "hot" flecks melting into their paint from brake pads.

Steve, Host
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    Yes, the metal flakes come from the air.
    It happens to all cars and is very difficult to get rid of.
    Take a look at white cars in your area and you will notice the same thing.
    A detail shop can help take it off with a clay bar.
    First off, if it is the flakes, the clay bar does work. A number of owners had to go through it and had good results.
    Just for extra info, a few X's have had issues with rust on the hatch, more like pin sized spots in the indent by the hatch window, depending on the dealer, some have actually had it repainted under warrenty, without involving Nissan Canada.
  • jktottenjktotten Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info. on the rust. I tried the clay that the dealership gave me and it worked like a charm so I'm assuming it is just environmental and possibly brake dust also.

XCanuk, it's interesting you mentioned the pin sized spots on the rear hatch though. I actually have a spot rusting from my metal on the rear that the dealership has agreed to repair under warranty. I think they must be aware of this problem because they are going to repaint the entire rear panel including lifting the rear glass to do it properly, so I may have been one of those people affected.
    That is why I mentioned it, some dealers blame everything on the flakes, some own up to the real rust. (2 seperate issues).
    A few owners in Ontario had to go to one particular dealer to get it repaired under warrenty, while their own dealer refused to cover it. You found a good dealer.
  • what2buywhat2buy Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I recently test drove the X and liked it, but I can't seem to find any crash test info on the vehicle. Anyone know how it performed? We're also deciding whether to save a little money and buy the 2002 or get the 2003 because of the side airbag option that the 2002 doesn't offer. And the biggest question of all...are you happy with your car choice? Should we buy one? Help!
  • norcalsurfrnorcalsurfr Member Posts: 14
    My factory tires have worn out on '00 X and I'm looking for some good A/T tires any suggestions??

Has anyone tried the BFG A/T TA KO yet?? I noticed they don't come in 265/70/R15 (as the original BFG Longtrail) but are available in 235/75/R15.
    I'm a month shy of having my X for 3 years and still have nothing bad to say about it. Good workhorse, if you are ready for a SUV, and the bad mpg that goes with it, the X is a good pick. Its does great for a daily driver and on long hauls, load up and go. No regrets here.

I've got BFG A/T K/O's.. (31x10.5x15), I was happy with them on other trucks, and still like them now. Slightly more aggressive without being loud, nicer handling over the LongTrails. I didn't mind the longtrails for road use, but the A/T's are still a nice improvement. BTW 31" will fit a 2000 with some minor trimming in the front mud flap area (very easy to do and no one will notice)
    *** being in a snow & ice belt, I do not like A/T's for winter, but I also seem to be one of the few that doesn't not like them in winter, most do. I have a second set of Winter Deulers for winters.
    Thanks for the tire info.

I've also been very happy with my X, up until now that is...50K miles and now I have a tranny problem. At about 25K I started having trouble getting into gear when it was cold (sitting overnight in the garage), the problem continued to get worse and no service center was able to duplicate the problem (I've heard that one before). So I finally got so sick of hearing that one that I made them prove to me that it couldn't be duplicated and low and behold they witnessed the same problem I've been complaining about for a year and a half.

They diagnosed it with a pressure plate problem and with some negotiating I got them to cover it under warrenty. I got a new clutch disc and pressure plate, the problem went away but now I have some concerning new problems. Loss of torque, whinny noise in the transfer case, squishy clutch and the list goes on.

It's going back in tomorrow, the kooks at the dealership want to take another crack at it. We'll see how it goes.
    Mine is standard as well, I find getting it into 1st (sometimes second) a little knotchy when parked overnight in the freeze, goes away once warmed up right. Same thing used to happen on my 4runner, so I'm not questioning it yet.

I did have a more exagerated problem once, turned out that my rubber mats slipped foreward just enough and was blocking my clutch engage point... d'oh ;)
    Yeh, it went away once the vehicle warmed up, aobut 20 miles or so of driving, but it wasn't knotchy it just wouldn't go into gear, it was like pushing against a brick wall.

So I dropped it off this morning and now they're saying it might be a clogged fuel/air system. Wright! so I bring it in one day and it's fine, sit's on their lot for two days and now it's a fuel system (which they are eagerly trying to pin on me)

Can you tell I'm a little bitter about this. I expected some minor problems with a brand new design but every time it goes in for something it takes and act of God to get it fixed. Just like when my auto locking hubs wouldn't disengage, it took months to get it fixed.

I love the truck but Nissan has got to work on their customer service.
    I found my original dealer where I bought my X to be a bunch of monkeys (after the first oil change)

Found a new one, and they have been super, covered all my concerns and even gave me an extra 15% discount on parts. Difference is like night & day..
    I brought it to another dealer and they said I needed major tranny work after those kooks messed with it and it was gonna cost $$$ and there was some loophole that got them out of covering it under warranty, because it wasn't considered defective from the factory or some crap like that.

So after a lot of fighting and short of a costly law suit and still getting no where I sold my X :( and bought a Pathfinder. Soo disapointed with it, it's way to cushy, auto tranny, crappy tires, and not nearly as rugged...I'm afraid to haul my garbage or drive over a curb with it. Well that was a hard learning experience I guess.

So if anyones interested I already listed it for sale.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    anyone here take their X offroad? Does it require mods to do so, or does it have decent offroad abilities in stock form?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

In stock form, the X is very capable in the dirt and medium trails.. up to a certain point, its not an extreme machine. Don't go alone, take off the step rails (weak & easily damaged), be extra careful if you have 17" rims.

Like anything else, there is room for improvement, and can be a building process.
    Better Tires with more agressive thread, slight lift with AAL's, Cranking T-bars... or you can go full out with suspension/body lifts, ARB bumpers.. the list goes on.
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Hi, I currently drive a '98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport 4r 4x4 w/55k, and I'm thinking about trading it in. I have several vehicles on my list, and the Xterra is one of them. I'm primarily looking for a '00 to '02 model, low miles, and preferably a 5 speed, but I can go either way. I was wondering what info you guys might have on one of these baby's, and what all I should look for when I find one, and during test drive. Any problems, and TSBs that you know of. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
    check here for recalls
    http://www.nissanusa.com/HomePageStatic
    select owning >recall info > and input year
    nothing major in my book

Its a solid truck, mpg not the greatest, but average for a mid-sized SUV. Mine has been problem free for 3 years.

Here a link for one that might fit the ticket

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=122289081- &dealer_id=&search_type=used&make=NISSAN&model=XT- ERRA&transmission=&distance=10&address=45458&adva- nced=n&certified=n&max_mileage=&max_price=&min_pr- ice=&end_year=2004&start_year=2000&body_style=&ad- vcd_on=n&color=&car_year=2000

if the link is too long.. search autotrader
    2000 SE Model 27500 Miles $17,350 Price seems good, but I'm not used to U.S. $$
  • carguy71carguy71 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone read about or know what accounts for the extra 10hp the '03 V6 has vs. previous model years? Is it a revised intake manifold, or maybe exhaust system differences? Revised computer software?
    I looked at some '03s the other night, and noticed they had 180 horses? Is that correct? Are you saying that ALL previous years have 170? Or just the '02s? I honestly don't like the general front styling of the new ones, I'd rather have a an '00 or an '01 with the more squarish front end. Also, I was dissappointed at the milage ratings for that thing. A Mercury Mountaineer with V8 and AWD gets 21, and that thing with a V6 just gets 20? I also find it hilarious that the Murano has the 245 horse 3.5 V6 and it gets 26 mpg. Why don't they make an engine similar for the Xterra? I know the Xterra is more truck and the Murano more car, but hey, c'mon. A good mix of the two might make them sell better.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Stay away, very far away from the Xterra. I lived a nightmare with a lemon that Nissan would not replace. I only logged 16,000 miles in two years because the X lived at the dealership for weeks on end. They gave me a Flinstone Mobile (Ford Escort) for a long-term loaner only because I went after them legally. They also gave me three whole extra months on the warranty. WHOOOOPIE!!!!!

Nissan replaced the engine and the transmission (two separate occasions) only after I contacted the Maryland State's Attorney. The state wrote Nissan a lemon letter and they FINALLY did the work. The work took months because Nissan had to send an engineer to the dealership and order the parts from Tennessee.

Everything mentioned in the other posts is correct. The underbody rails rust and Nissan says it is "environmental"?

Nissan of America in California will "say" they are working with the dealer to resolve issues; when, in fact, they are doing nothing. They already have your money.

Nissan employs recent college grads who are trained to tell you anything. They eventually get sick of the job and leave Nissan. I made friends with one ex-worker and we still talk. The real story is once the truck is sold, it is YOUR problem in Nissan's eyes.

Disclaimer: I seem to be one of the only people who had the engine "blow-up" two weeks into ownership. Read the other posts and look for common problems such as underbody rust, bad transmissions, paint peeling and poor alignments that cannot be rectified.

Many like Xcanuk have great experiences. It is when problems arise and how the manufacturer handles them that you really learn what to expect. Expect nothing from Nissan of America and you will be fine.

Lucky for Nissan, most of their vehicles never need major service.

If you purchase the X, the tranny problems, the sluggish fuel sucking engine, the leaky flip-top sunroof and the lousy General Grabber tires may be the least of your worries. In my humble opinion, there are many better SUVs for the same money. There are also many manufacturers who care about customer service and customer retention.
    Thank you for the info. Just reading that makes me cringe. I think I mentioned that I have a '98 Sidekick Sport, and the rear end went out in it at 34k, but it was 3 months out of warranty. That was in June of '01. I kept trying to get the local dealer (40 minutes away, I drove the thing there and back) and got nothing, no loaner, no promise, no service. Told me to take it back home. I told them if it broke down on me on the way back over the mountain, I would make them pay for my damn tow bill. A month later that dealership closed without explanation. I had been to them many times before and gotten great service, because it seemed my car really liked service. I didn't mind it when it was under warranty. Anyway, I called Suzuki in CA once a week for a month. I called the next closest dealership (hour away) and they got me in touch with a Suzuki rep. That rep said since the other dealership was closer, I'd have to get another rep. When I got the other rep (two weeks later) we had arranged to meet at the dealership closest to me on the morning it closed its doors. Then, I had to wait even longer. What ended up happening is I had to haul the car 2 hours away to another dealer (the 2nd closest in this guy's region) which presented me with a $200 tow bill (reimbursed by insurance) and was told the repair was going to cost $3500. Suzuki paid parts and replaced the entire guts of the rear end. I had to pay $160 for the labor to get it done. I know a little bit about how you feel. I did without my car from June to late September that year, 3 months. Luckily, my dad had a truck I could borrow in that time. What do you think of the Isuzu Rodeo? That would be my next choice. I'm looking at an '01 with moonroof, leather, and 5 speed. Its funny that the Xterra is actually rated by Consumer Reports +18% above the "industry standard" of 0%. It's right up there with the Forester, CRV, and the RAV4.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Sounds like another nightmare! You will not have much better luck if you get an X with problems.

Forgot to list in the last post that the X left me stranded twice, once on a busy interstate, when the fuel tank read 1/2 full when it was really EMPTY. Nissan did not come to tow the vehicle and on both occasions, the truck sat in the shop waiting for a new fuel float mechanism..another common problem in "XTerrables."

The only thing that works with Nissan is arbitration which I see a lot of fellow posters are discussing. It works and takes HOURS out of your busy day!!! That is what Nissan counts on!

The Forester is fantastic, but ugly and bland-looking. Our neighbors swear by Suburus and claim they are trouble free. My mother has the Forester and loves it. No problems at all and it is awesome in the snow. Very functional and affordable..just blah looking. It looks like a mini UPS truck.

The CRV and RAV 4 are ok, but not really off-road vehicles like the X. Was never really impressed with either model. Do not know much about the Rodeo.

My mechanics tell me the new Ford Explorer ('02 to present) is the best SUV going for the money. Pat Goss, Producer of the Motor Week Television show and host of Gosse's Garage Radio Show, also loves this truck along with the new Ford Expedition. If price is your driver, then the Explorer is your best bet.

Some Explorers list for around the same price as the X. Wholesalers everywhere want the '02 model and are paying premiums because they know they will resell easily. I am not saying Ford is any better at rectifying issues, but every article lists the Explorer as one of the premier SUVs.

Still have my '96 Ford Explorer: no major problems (always had the GoodYear tires - not Firestone), no repairs (knock on wood), great off-road, great in the snow, no rust, better than the X on fuel consumption and now payment free :-) My mechanic tells me the Explorer has another 100,000 left before it dies if I choose to keep it. It will be out of style before it needs to goto the junk yard.

Maybe the Americans have something on the Japanese in this one case? Emphasis on the "ONE." I still feel Nissan makes good models of other vehicles including the Altima and the new Z. Drove the Z and got a Jaguar instead because Nissan still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. BTW - what a difference in service. Simply no comparison.

Hope this helps you with a decision.
    I read some other posts that you'd left, mentioning that you'd gotten an X-Type. How is that? I liked them from the get go, just not much of a car person. Can't afford 2 cars at present. I've looked at the explorers, but they are still a bit out of reach. I like the overall look of the previous generation better, the new ones look too much like a van, especially with that 3rd seat. Not that its a bad thing, just I would rather try and avoid it. I actually found a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and fell in love with it, and was going to get a pretty good deal on it, but something made me back off. It was super nice, 44k, leather, V8 and AWD. I drove a '98 Limited Explorer a while back that was equiped the same, loved it. I've wanted something with more power for so long. However, with that big V8, and my heavy foot, I can picture me sitting at the gas pump too often, so I'm looking at the Rodeo now, and it just seems more like me. I think I will probably have a while longer to look around, I jumped the gun on the Mountaineer, and the dealership had the thing priced WAY below book, and offered me 500 more than book on my trade in. I never drove it, just looked at it. I want to make sure I look around before I start driving, because once I drive and fall for something, my name will go on the dotted line. Also, the Rodeo I'm looking at is a year newer and with less milage, and has the moon roof. I also looked at another '00 Mountaineer, same as the other, except had moonroof, and was the Monterey edition. It had 38k but was 2k more than the other one, at $17,900. I have had to knock several off my list, so its narrowing it down pretty well. The Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute appear to be complete junk, the Xterrable with it's problems, others aren't fuel efficient, others too small. I'm going to continue to look, and hopefully at the first of the week, weather pending, I'll be able to drive some.
  • carguy71carguy71 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, all previous model years prior to '03 had 170hp, instead of the 180 that is being claimed for '03. I believe I've found that the difference for '03 is a revised exhaust system and some computer retuning, but am still looking for feedback on that.

One other thing to keep in mind on boards like this is usually the people who post are very passionate about their vehicle experiences, so you tend to get extremes. I have a few friends that have had nothing but wonderful experiences with their Xterras, as have many of the other people who have posted here. So, though I feel very badly that msiseng has had such a horrible experience and only hope that it is resolved quickly, there are many other stories of just the opposite viewpoint. Usually the overall population's experience is somewhere in the middle.