Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    it's an XE. There's no other way to get a manual. You can add options to the XE to make it (almost) like an SE (audio system is an exception, among others), but there's no way to get a manual on an SE.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • smallwolfsmallwolf Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm looking into buying a 2000 Nissan Xterra, but can't figure if the XE is available with automatic AND manual transmission. If I find an automatic, is it an XE, or an SE?

THanks
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I live in Florida and I am amazed that just about every XTerra I look at on any Nissan dealer's lot here in Florida appears to be virtually the same vehicle, except for color: XE, V6, auto, 2 wheel drive with a power package. Hundreds and thousands of them everywhere. SE versions are rare, 4 wheel drive versions very rare and if you want a manual transmission one you better order one because they are nowhere to be found. For somebody like me who would prefer a 4x4 model with a manual transmission, this is really frustrating.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    Try finding an Xterra with the side airbags.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Y'all are!

Xterra is rough, tough and rare -- a bargain SUV (Post-Gazette)

Steve, Host
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    reading all the posts in this thread, which took several weeks, where have all the happy people gone?

For the first year, there was much joy, and comparisons of modifications & experiences, as well as a few tales of woe regarding fuel level readouts and other issues. From about a year ago until now, there are almost no regular posters and the malcontents rule.

Why I care is that my wife's vehicle is about worn out (133K miles), and she prefers something that lets her "sit up high." Besides which, we have beaten the dickens out of the undercarriage of the vehicle she drives now when we take it to Colorado.

The X looks like a good value. This board has shown me that the gas mileage sucks, but until recently, that it's generally a sound vehicle. We may buy one later this year, so I'll continue to watch this board carefully.

Thanks to all who have participated.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • trevgabbtrevgabb Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to buy a used x-terra for my husband. Although our young children won't be in the car often, I am still concerned about safety. When we tested their car seats in the x-terra, the kids sit VERY high and I imagine this would be a safety concern in an accident. Does anyone else have this problem or have children riding in their x-terra?
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    We just moved elsewhere for the most part. (I started on this board and it was loads of fun)

3 years later and my X is still rock solid, nothing more than oil changes and regular maintenance, plus a great relationship with my dealer. (yes.. it is possible)

I still have fun playing with the X and mods, plus the road trips to see other owners are always awesome.. nothing like driving 6 hours to meet people you don't know, and then having them become great friends.

I'll try to drop by a little more often...cheers
  • doubledown1180doubledown1180 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at the Xterra as my first SUV. Just wondering if anyone out there had any thing to let me know about how they handle in the winter. I live in the snow belt of upstate NY.

I've heard some who say that rear wheel drive suv's are torture,but is that the case with this part time 4WD?
    The stock tires were "OK" for the first winter, (bought mine in Feb.), but I would suggest winter tires. No matter what I drove, always changed the winter tires, makes a world of difference.
    Overall, the X drives with control & is very balanced, better than my old 4runner. The key is not to overdrive the truck, its not a tank.
    One of my coworkers has a 2 wheel drive Xterra with an auto transmission and naturally aspirated V6 and his gas mileage is about 15MPG average. This is really bad, and worse than my 95 SE V6 4X4 king cab Nissan pickup with a 3.0 liter engine and 5 speed manual transmission. I get about 17 MPG overall from that one even with very low gearing in the differentials. This means that a 4X4 Xterra with an auto transmission and supercharged engine has got to be a real gas guzzler.
    One of my coworkers has a 2 wheel drive Xterra with an auto transmission and naturally aspirated V6 and his gas mileage is about 15MPG average. This is really bad, and worse than my 95 SE V6 4X4 king cab Nissan pickup with a 3.0 liter engine and 5 speed manual transmission. I get about 17 MPG overall from that one even with very low gearing in the differentials.
    A supercharged 4X4 SE Xterra with all available options retails for $ 32,249. This is rather steep considering you can get a Pathfinder SE 4X4 for the same money with roughly the same equipment.
  • jktottenjktotten Member Posts: 13
    I am one of the people who has a lemon truck (Silver Ice 2001 Xterra XE Canadian), but I won't go through all of those details because I believe this is an unrelated problem to the build quality of the truck...

Very shortly after having the 2 recalls on my truck done, I've noticed a fuel smell in my truck. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or not. I do not smell it coming from the vents, and in fact my windows must be down in order to notice the smell. I also seem to need to be accelerating at higher speed (i.e. over 65km/hr) before I start to notice this.

I've assumed it's related to the fuel shutter valve, but the dealership hasn't indicated this is an issue. I'm also wondering how serious this could become because it does indicate fuel leakage somewhere, yet the dealership has insisted they have checked pumps and lines and find no leaks anywhere.

Has anyone else had this problem after the recall work was done on their truck? (I never had this problem prior to the recall).
    So here's the official word on my fuel smell problem in case anyone is having the same problems. Turns out it's associated to a cracked exhaust manifold and matches to the following Nissan TSB: NTB01038 SUBJECT REGARDING RIGHT HAND EXHAUST MANIFOLD CRACKING.

For those considering an XTerra although they claim my vehicle is not typical, I would think carefully on this before purchasing one. I have had the following problems under warranty so far on my 2001 XTerra XE:

1) improperly installed front bumper.
    2) trim pieces etc. loose.
    3) replaced AAC valve - related to idle on startup (pulls in extra air when engine is cold). Had to gas truck on startup so that it wouldn't stall out.
    4) blown head gasket and leaking coolant.
    5) A/C bearings getting stuck and needing replacement.
    6) cracked exhaust manifold.

And I have a feeling those nice window motors are close to becoming a problem too <sigh>.
    That is a very bad record for a 2001 Nissan vehicle. Hopefully the warranty covers most of these repairs? I am fully convinced that Nissan quality has been going steadily down the toilet since late 1990s. I have a 98 Nissan Maxima which has been practically troublefree, a 95 Nissan truck which has been very good, and I am reading a lot of complaints about new 2003 and 2004 Maximas and even Nissan trucks. Sorry about your bad experience. I am not in a hurry to buy new Nissan buy will hold onto what I have. It seems to be less of a headache that way.
    I see more complaints about Nissans on the web too and would agree, it's possible that with them being so close to bankruptcy in the past they started short cutting somewhere and the quality has suffered.

My truck was made here in the US unlike the Pathfinder made in Japan still (which appears to have less problems) and I wonder if that has any corelation to my problems. If that's the case, Nissan could start to have problems since they are opening more plants in North America and moving their manufacturing of them over. (i.e. 2004 Maxima is now made in the US.)

Unfortunately the most expensive repair which was the A/C was not under warranty, and I have since learned that nissan parts are even more expensive than honda's!

I will be selling my truck and looking elsewhere in the next month or so.
    I've heard of the manifold problem, and just got into the habit of having the dealer check it each time I bring it in for service (regular oil change etc) My dealer finds it strange since they have yet had to change one. For that matter, I barely have them do "their" version of maintenance/inspection boost the price for looking at stuff.
    My only half issue is the rear brake, seems my ebrake likes to jam up and not fully release, easy to notice since my X is manual. They had to replace the rear drum once last year (warranty), happened again a week ago, just cable lock this time.
    I find a good dealer makes all the difference, short version, when my brake started jamming, I needed it fixed fast since I had a road trip planned. My dealer was overbooked, but they got on the phone and fit me into another dealer. They did the job and charged 50$.. I phoned back my original dealer to say thanks, all is good, brake needed lube.. my dealer asks me to hold, comes back with that since my last service was supposed to include a brake inspection, and obviously something was amiss.. they will credit me the amount charge by the other dealer on my next return visit.
    Well the truck has been offically sold, and I've moved over to a Honda CRV (I didn't take the XTerra offroad enough to justify ownership anyway :-) ).

For those considering an XTerra, I do have several friends who purchased and never had a problem with theirs, so I realize mine was one of the problem ones. It's great value for it's money, and I'd loved owning it and driving it. I'll miss it a tonne!
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Just wondering if Nissan is making the Xterra in 2004. There seems to be no mention of a 2004 version of the Xterra ...
    Yup, here's the spy info. for it which will indicate not too many changes upcoming:

The rugged Xterra compact SUV features an optional supercharged 3.3-liter SOHC V6 producing 210 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque. Inside, a 300-watt Rockford Fosgate®-powered audio system with subwoofer is standard on SE and optional on XE V6 models. The 2004 Xterra offers customers several exciting packages including a Dynamic Control Package, SE Rugged Leather Package and a Curtain Side Impact Supplemental Air Bag Package.

Enhancements to the 2004 Xterra:
    ·17-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels standard on SE models
    ·16-inch 4-spoke alloy wheels standard on all XE V6 models
    ·Two new exterior colors &#150; Silver Lightning and Thermal Red
  • chanaveechanavee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Xterra that leaks , or should I say sucks so much dust in to the cabin that I am coated with it every time I take it out on our wonderful Arizona back roads, also known as dirt roads. There is a tremendous amount of dust clinging to everything.
    Up under the fender walls, all around the gas cap (I have to carefully wipe it down not to get dust in the tank)You can hardly see the engine it's covered with a fine powder of dust. On the dash you can not even read the speedometer. The back window has so much dust on it you can't see out. Even the glove box is full of dust. This is from 23 miles on a dirt road. All the other cars in the group were dirty, but none had this dust problem. The dealership is going to replace the weather stripping. Personally I think I have some sorta magnetism thing going on. IS anyone else out there having this problem? Mel
  • ndalalndalal Member Posts: 1
    i'm about to start looking for a used 2000 xterra or so. Anything i should look for when i look for one? I'm going to be selling my Honda civic Hatchback and am looking for more space and towing capabilities. Are all automatic V6 xterra's capable of towing a car(race car) to the track? Help me out! thanks, Neil
    Irrespective of the manufacturer's towing rating of these vehicles, a normally aspirated 3.3 liter V6 will struggle with a 4000 lb trailer/car combo. I have a 95 SE V6 4X4 Nissan pickup with a 5 speed manual and 3.0 liter V6 and I pull a 4000+ lb boat/trailer with it. I only tow the boat short distances to the boat ramp and never exceed 45MPH. I suspect that the truck would not go over 65 MPH with this load. The mileage drops drastically - I guess about 12 MPG when towing this boat. In my opinion, the 5000 lb rating for an auto XTerra or a pickup is somewhat of a joke - do not expect to cruise at 75 MPH with a 5000 lb trailer or go up hills at any reasonable speed.
    This forum appears to reflect the enthusiasm shown by Xterra owners. No new post in a month!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No new post in a month!

They're all out enjoying the snow - but they'll be back any day now as the January thaw develops!

tidester, host
  • oliver18oliver18 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned 2 Nissan xterra 01 and 03 and on both trucks, I've noticed that you start to hydroplane in little water (6ft wide puddles) at around 35-40 MPH. Has anyone else notices this?
    I haven't experienced it but I wonder: it takes only one tenth of a second to traverse 6 feet at 40 mph. Is that long enough to establish hydroplaning - or perhaps the distance is actually greater and you've misjudged it?

tidester, host
  • oliver18oliver18 Member Posts: 2
    your right i may be misjudging the distance of the puddles but it was not a fun feeling like loosing control during rainy days in Fl or Ms.
    An almost related question!
    Will the factory warranty still be honored once you get into a wreck. I only have 10k miles on my 03 xterra when I lost control on an icy road in Wa. I damaged the front end and punctured the radiator. Any info is appreciated.
  • maccmacc Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2000 xterra and need new tires. We get very little snow, but lots of rain. I take the xterra off road some - mainly dirt trail, shallow mud holes and rocky trails, but a majority of driving is on road. What would you recommend? I've read really good things about BFG A/T Ta Ko, but they are bigger than my stock tires and fairly pricey. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    Hi.......I am getting ready to buy an SUV. I am looking at the Toyota Highlander and so far I can't pass up the quality. I really like the Xterra for its sporty looks and thought this would be my next car. In doing some research,the quality just doesn't seem to be there. Any feedback is welcome......JET
    I have had great experience with Michelin LTX M/S on my 95 Nissan SE V6 4X4 pickup. The first set lasted almost 80K miles! Now I am on the second set. These tires give nice smooth ride and perform well in limited off-road applications.
    Blame one part on the stock tires for your hydroplaning, the other part on your driving and not reading the road.
    I now drive on BFG AT KO, great all around tire for most conditions, good upgrade, the increased size (if you go to 31x10.5x15 since you have a 2000) isn't a concern.. very minimal trim is needed in the wheel well (mud flap area) and only you will notice.
    Another good tire, more on road than off road, are the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. Quite a few X owners are picking them at their second choice.
  • bandidobandido Member Posts: 4
    Hola guys, I interested in '04 xterra SC 4x4 supercharge, list price national/MSRP $28,000 willing to putdown up to $5k never finance b4 a new car, never had a credit card so credit not great. There is $1,500.00 rebate or .9% finance. Generaly how much $ i can lower the price down???? up to 24K including the 1500reb or up to 25K including 1500reb or 26k including 1500reb??(plz dont say as much as u can, it wont help) plz someone reply, ty very much...
  • shwoodenshwooden Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Xterra and was curious about the Airaid induction system. Does anyone no if the claims are accurate? Does it increase MPG and horsepower enough to merit the purchase of said system?
    I would like to know if the '04 xterra SE 4x4 supercharge can play mp3 songs...I know this version does have 6 cd changer and i test drive this car and tried to play my mp3 songs but did not played at all. This cd was blank that i burn mp3 songs (about 180 songs)in it. ty much for any respond....
    I have an K&N Air Charger (generally the same). There is a slight increase in power, more on the 2500-3000 rpm range, makes acceleration onto the highway easier, but nothing that will make you drop the hammer while driving. Seemed to have gain 2 mpg during the summer, but lost 2 in the winter (I think there is something in the extra deep cold air and the fuel mix by the X-puter)
    Honestly, happy I installed it, but not sure I would do it again if I had a choice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't know about the MP3's but often the lowest incentive interest rates are only available to those with the best credit score. I'd try the Capital One link on the left and see what kind of internet rate you can get and then see if the dealer will come in at the 1.9%.

Steve, Host
  • se4b4ssse4b4ss Member Posts: 3
    i have searched this forum, but haven't found any definitive answers...i am a long-torsoed 6'3" and 200lbs. will i have enough head/leg room in the 2004 xterra? are there any comfort issues for a person my size?

thanks in advance,
    steve
    Good luck but let's lose the promo in the sign-off!

tidester, host
    check this link....about '04 xterra SE 4x4 supercharger all specification......

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ns?kbb.MA;845910;MA013&010- 40;suv&1320;Nissan;2004%20Xterra&M27M13A13;M27M13&&am- p;Sport_Utility&&nc
    good luck...El Bandido...
  • pheelpheel Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my Xterra for abotu two years now and have about 51,000 miles on it. I have not noticed ANY quality issues. I have only been in the dealership for regular maintainance. The Nissan quality pushed me to purchase a Murano this past weekend.

What particular issues have you heard about?
  • hatesnissanhatesnissan Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Nissan Xterra. I currently have a case against Nissan with the Better Business Bureau. My truck has been falling apart since it had 7011 miles on it.I don't qualify for the "lemon laws" in my state because it has been many separate issues, not a reoccuring problem with one part. At 7011 miles, I had to be towed off the interstate-transfer case had to be rebuilt. Since that incident, I have had the rear swaybar links replaced, the battery replaced, brake recalls, airbag recalls, speakers redone-twice, electrical problems, rear wheel cylinders fixed, both rear shocks just broken right off!!! I drive 10 miles to work and back, I baby my vehicle and still this is an issue! I now have 24,400 miles and wait in terror for the next problem. If anyone has had similar issues, please contact me and help me build my case. I go to arrbitration on March 29th.
  • bearcat1998bearcat1998 Member Posts: 7
    I need some new tires to replace the OEM BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/As on my '02 X (SE 4x4 SC). I'm looking at TireRack, but there isn't much to choose from in the original size (265/65/17) and I was leaning toward the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s which are 265/70/17. Before I ordered I called TireRack and they warned me about possible clearance and calibration issues---I also called my dealer and for what it's worth they recommended I stick with the original size.

Does anyone have experience with going outside the X original tire size or is it something I should stay away from altogether? Maybe 275/60/17 ?
    Also any tire recommendations in general would be appreciated. I'm looking for all-season (some rain, some snow, a little off-road, but most important is tread life and handling). If I have to stick with the original size, I would probably go with the Michelin Cross Terrain, but they're a little pricey.

thanks for any advice,
  • kmillerkmiller Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 white Nissan Xterra. Have any of you experienced rust spots developing on the vehicle, particularly the back hatch? I currently have 50K miles on it, so I'm out of the standard warranty, however, I don't think a vehicle only 2 years old should be rusting. Please let me know if any one else has experienced this problem.
  • cburnsy11cburnsy11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a little new to posting on this board. I'm currently looking at a 2002 Xterra SC Auto,12k miles, aftermarket leather and carbin fiber dash. Asking $22,000 and he seems pretty firm. I have never driven an SC before. Do they all shift a little odd because of the SuperCharger or is it maybe transmission issues. I've owned a 99 Grand Cherokee for a year. With the wonderful Chrysler trans. I'm nervous with any tranny right now? Anybody have experience with the SC Xterra?
    I test drove a 2003 SC crew cab Frontier pickup with an automatic transmission. The transmission shifted fine and I did not notice anything unusual about the shifts. However, the supercharger whine is noticeable when accelerating. Furthermore, supercharged pickups and Xterras require premium fuel and get bad gas mileage (about 12-15 MPG combined) With today's gas prices constantly going up, I would stay away from the supercharged models and go with a normally aspirated V6 which can use regular gas and delivers better fuel economy.
  • rmhunterrmhunter Member Posts: 3
    i am in the same size category as you are and do not have any issues with fit and comfort. i drive 25 miles one way to work almost everyday and have been on some long road trips with no comfort problems....
    Ya....wn