Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• salbeaglesalbeagle Member Posts: 2
    Gary,

My suggestion would be to buy a K&N oil filter, and while you are at it get a K&N air filter too. Factory oil filters are usually no better than Fram or Purolator filters. K&N are the best you can get at a reasonable cost.
    The K&N airfilter, besides being of a higher quality has a lifetime guarantee as long as you clean it periodically (wait for a special at a parts store where you get the cleaning kit for free with your purchase).
    Since we're on the topic of do-it-yourself basic maintenance, has anybody else had luck with Amsoil? I used it in my 4Runner and improved my gas mileage by 2 mpg overall. Once my new 06 Xterra is due for its first change, I'll probably use Amsoil again and see if I get similar results.
    One other question for 05 and 06 owners: Do you hear a nasal-sounding whine underneath the exhaust noise upon startup and acceleration? It's most prounounced from a standstill through third gear on my automatic. I'm a bit worried that it could be a alternator problem, or worse yet, a bad torque convertor. The only reason I'm not freaking out is that 92% of the torque gets applied in the first 2500 RPMs, and the noise may just be a biproduct of the gear ratios, & etc. Of course the worthless mechanics at the dealership say that it's "normal." Thoughts?
  • lj1983lj1983 Member Posts: 3
    got a question for ya...where did you hear that 92% of the torque comes in during the first 2500 rpms? i know the old VG33 make 90% of it's torque at 2000 rpms, and i've read in a couple places that the 05+ pathfinder engine makes 80% of it's torque at 2k rpms.... it's been difficult to find any definite info about the VQ40 in the new X

also, about the OR. you can't get step rails from the factory, i believe the rest of the 'utility' package comes standard with the off-road edition. they got rid of the steps, because most people take them off to go off-road. if your interested in buying them though, there's a couple xterra-specific places around the 'net...and i'm sure there'll be people there who will sell it cheap.

also, about the OR, it might interest you to know that the off-road model, and the manuals come with the D44 axle, which is alittle stronger than the axles found on the automatics
  • vspecvspec Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine the day after they got it off the truck for $500 under invoice (dealer price). Plus I got to keep all the rebates. You can find the invoice pricing on edmund's website and price out the equipment. My Xterra is a 2006 OFF ROAD 4x4 AT. Total was Invoice - $500, then -$1000 Nissan Incentive & -$500 recent college grad rebate. Good luck and deal only with the internet/fleet sales dept, less haggling and BS.
  • mgoosemgoose Member Posts: 11
    I see on Jet Chips website that they offer a computer chip upgade for the 06 Xterra. Has anyone done this on their Xterra? They claim 15-17 horsepower gain. mgoose :blush:
  • randyr1randyr1 Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone is towing with this vehicle? Would like to tow a 19 ft. boat that is about 3,000 lbs. on the trailer, fully loaded (about 250 - 300 lbs. tongue weight). I am curious how the Xterra would handle this load, stability wise, stopping, accelerating, transmission shifting (any jumping back and forth between gears), squatting from the tongue weight, etc.

Not really interested in how the older Xterra models (i.e. 2004 & older) tow. Thank you.
  • carcrazy16carcrazy16 Member Posts: 2
    Ya know? I do not know how the Xterra drives in the snow, that is one of my biggest questions. My mom has an 2005 Murano and we took a trip over the mountains and the AWD worked great :) . I ecspecially found the slip indicater helpful to let you know if your slipping when you don't know it. Anyways, how does the Xterra perform in snowy/icey conditions? :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of shots of the 2006 Xterra.

Interactive Video Tour

Steve, Host
  • carcrazy16carcrazy16 Member Posts: 2
    That interactive tour was fun and awesome. :) Very informitive. :) Thanks for sharing!
  • randrewsrandrews Member Posts: 2
    Just got an Xterran and love it, handles great on and off road, on dry, wet, or snowy terrain. I started hearing a humming coming from the rear of the car. Took it in and when I did the took the read pumpkin apart (where the rear axel and drive shaft meet from my understanding) and the gear oil in there was black. They are replacing the rear end of my car as we speak. Has this happened to anyone else, or has anyone ever heard of this problem, and is it reoccurring? Thanks, Ryan
  • randrewsrandrews Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2006 Xterra and love it. It is great on, and off road in any conditions, it is great in snow and mud. I have had a problem that I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing, I had a humming noise in the rear of my car when going between 40 and 60. I took it in and they said that when they took the pumpkin (from my understanding where the drive shaft meets the rear axle) off the rear axle and the gear oil was charred. The are replacing the whole rear end free of charge for me. Has anyone else has this problem or heard of it? It is recurring? I have less than 4000 miles on my car and I'm surprised that I'm already having problems.
  • vmontalvovmontalvo Member Posts: 1
    hi, sometimes when im driving my 00 xterra the gauges go down, thats the sppeddometer, rpm , temp and sometimes the fuel gauge,thats for a long time then it goes ok , sometimes when i put the signal lights, the gauges go carazu uo and down, did somebody know why?
    vic
  • cfarley1cfarley1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with excessive rear tire wear on the 06 Xterra? Ours has 7000 miles and the rear tires are bald.
  • tx05tx05 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Xterra SE with the Rocford Fosgate premium audio system. The system goes up to a max volume of 31, but anytime I play it higher than 18 the audio cuts off. Nissan has attempted to fix it, but has not been successful. They are now telling me it's not their problem because it is operating how it was designed to. Does anyone else out there with this model have the same problem? Can you play your system louder than a volume of 18?
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Its a known problem, a few owners I know went through it. Have the dealer check the circuit board located under the dash. It basically controls the functions you mentioned. Not too expensive to fix.
  • tx05tx05 Member Posts: 2
    I know you posted this awhile back, but do you ever play your volume on your system greater than 18? If so, do you have a problem with it cutting the audio off?
  • akmvolvobetterakmvolvobetter Member Posts: 6
    Take your foot off the brake and stop burning rubber on take off. :confuse: 7000 miles for bald tires sounds like heavy operator influence.
  • kuzymankuzyman Member Posts: 1
    My CD Changer sent me a nice little error code when I tried to play my fav music. I got err code 3. I cannot find out what this means. I am new and would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks
  • tokastyletokastyle Member Posts: 2
    I have been waiting for a comparison like this. I'm debating between the two myself. C&D did a very similar one a few months back but they included the Jeep Cheorkee, and Hummer H3. In the C&D test Xterra was #1 and the FJ took 3rd behind the Grand Cherokee #2. I think I would be able to get an Xterra for a little cheaper (leftover 05) but I think long-term an 07' FJ will hold its value better. Does anyone know what the aftermarket support is like on the FJ vs Xterra? I know Tacomas and 4Runners typically have better aftermarket support than Frontiers and Pathfinders, but the Xterra is built on the Titan platform so I think down the line a lift kit for the xterra might be easier and cheaper. Does anyone know how similar the FJ platform is to the 4runner or Tacoma?
  • chris903chris903 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to get to the antenna on a 2004 Nissan Xterra in install the FM Modulator for the Sirius Satellite Radio? Do you get to it from under the hood or by going through the glove box or what?
  • willsgirlwillsgirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 SE, less than 5000 miles. I recently started hearing a squeaking or chirping noise in the back of the Xterra. Took it to the dealer, they said they could not find anything. Now, the noise is getting worse. I'm taking it back on Monday, but has anyone experienced this. It's coming from the rear of the truck and I hear it when I drive over 30 mph. Stops when I apply the break.
  • brianj1brianj1 Member Posts: 7
    Im trying to decide which way to go 06 Xterra or the 07 FJ and would appreciate some comments. Thanks.
    Check out the new Nissan Xterra vs. Toyota FJ Cruiser discussion.

Steve, Host
  • brianj1brianj1 Member Posts: 7
    Let us know what they find if anything, thanks.
  • matthattan1587matthattan1587 Member Posts: 53
    Hey I am looking into buying a new SUV to replace my 04 Honda Accord. The Accord has been great, but I would like to change things up and buy a small/midsize suv that has more power than my 4 cylinder 160 hp Accord and handles like a car. I am considering 5 SUVs: Nissan Xterra, Toyota Rav 4, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Ford Explorer. So far I have only driven the base model Xterra and loved the way it drove, but would like to add more accesories. The power from the 265 hp is great and I like how Nissan designed its interior and exterior. I am looking into the SE model in Night Armor with an optional Grille/Brush guard. Is the Xterra the way to go or should I look elsewhere? I am worried about the gas mileage of the Xterra as well. Please let me know with you guys think!
    -MM
  • chris903chris903 Member Posts: 2
    I have been experiencing the same thing with my 2004 Xterra but have not had a chance to take it in yet. Please let me know if they find out what the problem is. Thanks.
  • ikastunikastun Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,
    Whenever I pass over a speedbump at a very slow speed (let's say at walking speed), with an empty vehicle, I can almost feel the xterra going down its full suspension travel, and if I happen to be carrying some cargo back there (let's say a midsize suitcase), or just by having somebody sitting in the backseat, the suspension goes all the way down and a "clunk" can be heard.

I've taken the xterra to the dealership, and they said the suspension looked normal, and that eveything tested fine according to the specs.

Has anyone experienced this same behavior?
    This is a 2005 Off-road xterra,

regards

-elpastor
  • yoohooyoohoo Member Posts: 1
    Where do i buy TX or CT. I'm looking to buy an xterra. I will be moving to Connecticut in July and would like to know if it would be cheaper to buy in Austin, TX where i currently live or buy in New Haven, CT. thanks
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Does anyone know what Nissan is planning on doing/updating on the 2007 models?
  • rsd01rsd01 Member Posts: 1
    The plastic frame where the first aid kit on my xterra was loose and causing the squeaking. I simply gave it a whack and knocked it back in. No more squeaking.
  • ttwoeyttwoey Member Posts: 1
    OK SO maybe you guys can help me, my a/c is leaking in the truck..i've removed the glove box and the "big black thing" behind the glove box has condensation on it, and and leaks out when i make a turn.
    please advise! is there a condensation hose off somewhere? where would i find it? ARGGHHH

anybody know where i can get a good manual for the xterra that can show me step by step where to look?

i've looked up behind the "big black box" and haven't seen any dampness....i've taken my radio out and see noting, what am i missing??

thansk in advance
    2002 xterra v-6 4x4 SE/LE
  • azbill1azbill1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy an SUV and do not know what to buy. I've been looking at the 4Runner and have now seen the XTerra is a much better priced vehicle in the 2003-04 models. I am looking for a used SUV. I want to tow a 2,000-2,500 lb tent trailer which will have to climb out of the phoenix metro valley through the mountains to go camping. Does anyone have experience with towing with this truck. Will this trucks power and braking capacity (6% downhill grades in AZ for up to 8 miles) work for my needs?
  • marcobcmarcobc Member Posts: 1
    Hi Elpastor.

The clunk you hear is probably the truck frame hitting the rubber bushing on the axle. I've discovered that my 06 X does the same thing but unfortunately I am loading it with 4 bodies and 250 lbs of weekend backpacks. It bottoms out everywhere. This is not good. My Cherokee never did that. I've phoned around and no one sells aftermarket air suspension bags for Xterras yet. One supplier did tell me that they have rec'd several calls from X owners with the same problem.

Not certain what I will do. Anyone got any advice?

Marcobc
  • prepsoneprepsone Member Posts: 1
    HI We just got an 2006 xterra S last january, WE LOVE IT, gas millage the first 3000 milles, was about 17 to 18 mpg, but now it is about 19 to 20 mpg on the highway, there was 3 trims levels in 2005 and 4 in 2006, and there are x,s,off road and se and you can get all in 4 wheel drive and stick or auto, I used to have and ford f150 V8, it seems that the xterra is faster that the ford by alot, the power is there all the way to red line, for my opinion the tranny shifts a little soft for my teaste but i'm a sport car kind of guy, the xterra has 9500 miles now and more to go. we recomend the xterra over any small and mid size suv out there!!!!!

P.S. I test drove the jeep liverty and did not like it at all because is smaller, less powerfill engine and the suspension is hard, if you sit on the back seat you'll be all over that seat, like if you where on the back seat of a school bus!!!!
    Check out the new interactive Vehicle Tour of the Nissan Xterra. Especially good interior shots.
  • eapkingeapking Member Posts: 3
    Have an original V6 3.3L,170hp Xterra 2WD. I'd like to start towing 2 horses. I'm estimating around 4000-4500 lbs. Top rating is 5000 lbs. Been towing one horse a few times a year. No problems (I know of). I've been warned that I need a transmission fluid cooler (which I'm fairly sure it doesn't have). Have checked around and it sounds like I can get one after-market. That's all fine, but does anyone have concerns over this low 170HP? I think the later X's beefed up the HP quite a bit. Also have been advised to get brakes run through to trailer, which I'm planning as well. The vehicle came with nothing related to towing, not even the hitch, which I added a year or so back. Hate to invest any more $$ in towing for this thing if it doesn't have the guts.

Help anyone? Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Report your XTerra mileage here.

tidester, host
    yeah, that's one of the issues with the new xterras, the rear suspension doesn't have enough uptravel before it hits the bump-stops. Timbren makes a rubber bumpstop that fits, or you can put a shackle lift on it to increase the spacing.
    there are two things i can think of...one, there is a TSB about the rear suspension squeaking...mention it to them, or look it up and bring it in to them.

the other....it might not be suspension. the hood on alot of xterras...the rubber stops which hold the hood up off the body aren't tall enough. they either need to be 'unscrewed' or extended somehow.....don't think this affects you, as you say it's 'rear suspension'....but check it. i know it sounds odd, but it really sounds like a suspension squeak.
  • bmanjeepbmanjeep Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has any problems with the computer on their xterra. I own a 2005 that I bought new and have 15000 miles on the odometer. One day last week it would not start. The dome lights were flashing, the rear wiper was starting and stopping, and there was a clicking sound in the dash. I had it towed to the dealership and they repalced the controller assembly and everything now works fine. There was no warning; it just stopped working. I am a little apprehensive about taking it on any of the trips I have planned this summer. Everything was covered under warranty and the dealership was very helpful.
    Just bought a new Xterra and want to know if anyone else can help clear this up. I'm not talking about "MPGs," I'm talking about actual fuel capacity. In the manual it says the Xterra has a 21.1 gallon tank, but in the two times I've let the fuel gauge get to E I've only been able to get 16 gallons in the tank??? Now I know that there is usually 2 or 2.5 gallons left in the tank when it gets to E, but that doesn't explain the other 2.5 or 3 gallons??? Is there actually 5 gallons left at E??? Does the gas pump cut off early with 2-3 gallons left to go??? Has anyone else noticed this??? Perplexed :confuse:
  • 56bartman56bartman Member Posts: 8
    When will the new model be available?

Does anyone know what changes are in store for the new one?

Thanks
  • exergyexergy Member Posts: 1
    I fill 87 gasoline into the tank to maximum level, until the store fuel pump nozzle cutoff valve activates.

I then drive until the amber/yellow low fuel warning light comes on. The tank gets filled up and the pump readout shows, on average, ~18.5 gallons filled into the tank. There is a clear deficit of approximately 2.6 gallons in my specific Xterra package, which is a 2-wheel drive SE.

I am a technical person...Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M with interests in solid fuels, combustion, and heat transfer.

That's whacked, yo! Nissan made a mistake. The fuel level indicator displays erroneous values. It needs to be recalibrated at the factory and the replacements installed on our vehicles.

Incidentally, I evidently have corrosion spots on the surface of my roof rack. I can not scrub them off. Anyone with similar defects?

I hate this part: I like to drive fast. The new generation Xterra's have the same spec. engine and transmission as the 350Z. In 3rd gear and with VDC (traction control off) I can have alot of fun driving with 285 ft-lb of torque available (up to 60 mph), but the damn engine management system cuts my power down to increase engine reliability, or really save the engine.

The 2005-2006 Xterra's engine and automatic transmission computers reduce RPMs, lower shift points, reduces engine power by leaning the air-to-fuel mixture, i.e. allow less gas to be sprayed into air manifold.

So, I have to reset the engine computer by unplugging the A/T ECU fuse or just disconnet the negative battery cable.

My wishes:

Reputable companys to manufacture a durable, high performance torque converter (high strength impeller shaft/tuned stall speed); A/T transmission cooling system (liquid or finned surface); a low air pressure boost, high performance supercharger (only reduce MPG by 1-3MPG for 50-75hp/ft-lb increase); high performance engine and transmission managment computer system; larger brakes; and rigid, laterally stiffening cross-members to keep vehicle from rolling over.

I want designed, optimized, simulated, and tested products; not tuner fabrication work.
  • mgoosemgoose Member Posts: 11
    Jet chip offers a computer upgrade for the Xterra claim 14-17 horsepower gain . This may be an answer to your problem. Mgoose
  • autoodysseyautoodyssey Member Posts: 10
    I am about to purchase a used Xterra, an S 4x4, with about 20,000 miles. I am wondering if I should purchase the Nissan extended warranty for about $1,175. Goes to six years or 100,000 miles.

Lee
  • autoodysseyautoodyssey Member Posts: 10
    One reason I am thinking of getting of getting the extended warranty is because the warning light showing low tire pressure came on while I was trying out the vehicle. I added enough air to all of the tires, but after over 100 miles it still stayed on. The dealer is looking at it now.

Lee
  • xtaticxtatic Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same mind boggling dilema that you have described.When I same same,I mean exact figures.I bought a 06 Xterra about 3 weeks ago and trying to find my average MPG,I fill it up run it until the amber 'E' light pops up then fill it back up.It took 16 gallons on 3 occasions to refill.I know that the fuel tank has a 21.1 gallon capacity,so that must either mean there is a 5 gallon reserve (which I doubt)or something is wrong with the calibration of the fuel guage.I'm gong to call Nissan directly and get some more insight on this.
    Have you found any answers yet? ">
    nothing yet, I wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with this 1st before I have to take time off from work to deal with it. What I'm thinking about is when I get down to E again, to get a 5 gallon gas tank and syphon it out and see how much I pull out. I'm wondering if I really have a 21 gallon tank, I'm thinking that maybe it's actually a 19 gallon tank. If you read in the manual it says that the tank is APPROXIMATELY 21.1 gallons, and that it may be "less."
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • sewerman357sewerman357 Member Posts: 1
    i recently purchased a 04 Xterra. The vehicle pulls to the right. After 3 different times by the dealer to fix, problems still exists. Given numerous answers why, but still pulls. Anyone have this problem, and if so, please respond back. I am trying to return vehicle to dealer because of this issue. Thanks.