Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• bones14bones14 Member Posts: 2
    He Bobcat bob,

I guess I better buy an Xterra now before they make it look like that ugly new Frontier..... the supercharger would be great... but realize you need to feed it premium grade and you will get about a 10% reduction in gas mileage!.........I still wonder if the new Frontier is selling well.....to my eye, it's has a bit of Aztek in it's blood...
  • srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    So when will the '02 models hit the market. I was planning on buying Monday but given that the new engine will be stronger, maybe I should wait a month or two.
    Does anyone know if there are any rebates or incentives for the X? I was looking at a Nissan dealer web site and they had a blurb about "up to $1500 cash back..." but I didn't see anything like that on the Nissan site or here at Edmunds.
    Thanks
    S
  • avatar13avatar13 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on buying an XE Xterra in the next several months and have been doing some research. I heard an interesting story from a relative of a friend of mine that works at a local Nissan dealership. He quoted me a price of 25k for a 4x4 V6 XE automatic without packages, saying the MSRP is 26k. This didn't seem right to me because every price I've seen has been much much lower, even Nissan's site says the MSRP would be 23k. I thought perhaps he gave me a quote for an SE which would be about right but he said no that was for the XE and says lots of their customers get upset with them because they have researched the same prices I have. Has anyone else encountered this?
    Whats the best ite to find quality X addon's? I read above about the Viper alarm and I'm also interested in getting a bike carrier for my bikes.
    Thanks
    S
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    There was a thread on another board a few weeks ago, you got the list of '02 X updates right.. the news came from a guy working at the plant. But I'm having too much fun with my old :) X, that I can't imagine waiting for the newer model. Besides, the X, likes everything else, will always have the slightly more improved model down the road.. you could wait forever thinking you want the newest, you just have to jump out and buy at some point.

As far as add-ons.. ( the other fun part of the X ) You can always start at www.xterrastore.com (my fav. ) or www.xterraparts.com , depending where you live. ( distance and shipping ) After that, I've got a few local car shops that get the rest that I want. I've added a bit to mine.. you can see some of it at in my album http://briefcase.yahoo.com/x_canuk or now I'm starting a small site at http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk ( but its not complete.

• milleraymilleray Member Posts: 3
    I leave for awhile and the site changes. I DO NOT like the changes. I use to beable to type in Xterra and get the postings for "just" the Xterra. Now I type in Xterra and I get a whole bunch of crap, from Subarus to pick-ups, what gives. If this is how the site is going to stay then I am not so sure this is where to be for info on the Xterra. Not pleased. :( I think XOC is better anyways.
  • tjbrownx2tjbrownx2 Member Posts: 8
    The best price we had for a 01 x was $23,500 + tax. We bought a 01 XE with auto,4x4,utility and power, mud flaps, floor mats. a couple weeks back I posted Canadian Deals our X (just cleared customs yesterday) was bought for $21,000 (U.S.) no down payment and dash switch and importing included. all we had to do was pay NY sales tax and registration fees @$1,800. We bought at Autoline Nissan in Niagra Falls Canada it was pain free and as I said before would recomend to any one close enough to make the trip worth while.

xcanuk Is the engine block heater, floor mats and mud flaps just a canadian package? They were listed as options at U.S. dealers and here at edmunds. Is there a site for canadian invoice pricing? I have not been able to find any and the straight exchange rate does not work.
    For more information about Canadian prices and set ups.. you can start here: http://www1.sympatico.ca/Contents/Automotive/newautos.html You can get prices and equipement listings etc. Or go over the the Canadian Nissan site. http://www.nissancanada.com/eng/cars/xterra/index.html

We Canadians were on the short side of the stick, we had only "one" X for 2000.. which was more or less an XE 3 pak 4x4, -the fogs, but + block heater, Cdn Flaps, matts, Low Washer fluid light, daylight running lights, and a few other odd things.. like a winter package.. heavier battery etc ( not sure ) No options, unless you wanted to pay extra for rims from a PF since we only got steel wheels. The only thing we got to pick was colour & tranny. We had one and only one price to deal with.

This year 01, we have both XE & SE, both 4x4's only, and I think there still are no packages, but we get more than what is included in your XE 3 pak again.

• xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    what is that cut down tray in your pics??
  • climber2climber2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on getting a better horn for the 2001 Xterra?

And is the replacement/installation easy?
    In quest for more space and useable storage, I realized the pass seat is a good place, but hard to get at. I recycled to top tool tray from a plastic tool box I had around, cut off the top part that held the handle, and voila.. one instant drawer with easy access. I keep my traction aids in there, which is perfect since the tray is plastic.
    The easiest and cheepest way to improve the horn, is to add another high tone Fiamm ( same make as the original, but the original is low tone ) maybe $15.00 or so. Install is realatively easy, unplug the existing one, either splice into the existing wire, or make a fork with electric connectors.. Connect the wire(s) to the horn(s). There is only one wire to play with, the ground is made with the horns. If you don't want to play with modifying brackets, the second horn fits nicely lower down, almost at the bottom of the rad on the right (pass.) side. Just a matter of pulling out the bolt and installing the bracket that comes with the new horn. One note.. pick the location of the new horn first.. so you know how much wire you need.
    well, this time tomorrow I should have my 01 X SE....I can't wait. Now i just need to plan my first Xcursion...just fyi...I got a decent deal...the SE cost me a little more than I had planned because the X I choose also had the tow hitch and the auto-dimming mirror. The total for the SE 4x4, auto, mats, splash guards, tow hitch, microfilter came to $25700. Like I said a little more than I was planning but I decide I'd rather get the hitch now than have to do it later....

can't wait.....
    Great.. good luck with it.. ( now you have to get the matching R/C)
    I crashed my R/C plane after 5 seconds of glorious flight....maybe I could keep that one in working order a little longer...

looking forward to fun in my X.....
  • shirl3shirl3 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen the new gold rush color? What do you think?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    My mom just bought an '01 SE, auto with about every option. She paid too much as usual, but she REALLY likes it.

After 13 years of Chevy Blazers, she is boggled at the tight construction. :-)

Hers is blue and it is one of the nicest colors I have seen on ANY vehicle.
    just blue or denim blue??? i have a Just Blue and i love the color too!! not too many of them around..
    It must be the denim blue. It is muted, almost a "colonial" blue. Definately not bright or dark.

Sorry, hope that helps.
    Once you go black, you never go back.. but then again, black isn't a color is it ?
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    So it turns out I get better city mileage than highway. Kinda amusing... though my hubby won't think so when he sees my credit card bill. I was only getting between 14.5 and 15.2 miles/gal. But I was also cruising between 71 and 76. Heck, when the speed limit up in MI is 70, you have to go over 75 in the right lane just to keep up! The X was great on the 6 hour trip up there and back though. It really is a better highway ride than I expected from a truck.

Mindie
    I saw a 00 Xterra used that was a beautiful color blue...I thought it was the Just Blue but wasn't sure...I was planning on getting that but then saw the demin blue and it was just a little too dark for me....wound up getting Red more or less because of the options on it but it's looks pretty good in red....no yellow's to be found anywhere...
    It arrives tomorrow night!
    S
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    I saw the Gold Rush color on a Frontier Crew Cab and liked it a lot. I assume it's the same color as on the X.

I think the '00 color was Denim Blue only and the '01s are Just Blue and I forget the name of the other blue.
  • shirl3shirl3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks silverxglider! My husband and I pick up our new gold rush SE on Friday and I was a little nervous about the color. I found a dealer website that has great photos of many of the colors including gold rush and now I am really excited about it.
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    I'm about to buy an X and was comparing XE and SE
    models, and the salesperson threw me a curve, regarding suspension. I was told that the SE and
    XE sport package include sport suspension. Is this
    true? I can't remember reading anything about this
    even though I must have 3 brochures at home. And, if so, what's the difference? I don't know that it will change my mind, but I was just curious. The other blue, by the way, is Mineral Blue and it's butt ugly. (at least that's what I think)
    Well, color certainly is a matter of opinion isn't it. :-)
    I haven't heard anyone mention different shocks or suspension between X's.. could the dealer be wrong...mmmm.. I thought salespeople were always right. BTW.. I'm still wonder about the heated mirrors my saleman promised me, along with the cass..CD..radio on the XE.. and the....
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    Now that's an option I really wish the Xterra had. There's nothing worse than trying to see if there's a car next to you through mirrors that are covered with ice. The worst is when you come out of the automatic car wash when it's freezing out and literally seeing the mirrors freeze over within seconds as you're looking through them. Happened to me one day. I had to look over my shoulder to make sure the coast was clear before pulling over to scrape the mirrors.
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    Well,that's what I thought, but she said it with such confidence, I started to wonder. Since I've been reading this board and researching the vehicle since at least June, I thought it was something I would've come across. The ride was definitely different though. Has anyone noticed a big difference in the ride between wheel sizes? Or could the SE have been over inflated? Just curious, I think I'll opt for the SE anyway and therefore won't get the choice.
    I wasn't sure about taking my X through an automatic wash. Does anyone have trouble with the auto washes (fitting in them, getting everything clean, etc)? I've been hand washing my X out in the cold, wearing rubber kitchen gloves to keep my hands from freezing. I had to buy a long handled brush to clean the top - I'm too short to reach everything, even when I stand on the side rails and hang over as far as I can reach. Any opinions on the occasional auto wash?

Mindie
  • unxperiencedunxperienced Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering an xterra for my next SUV and was wondering if anyone has caught a glimpse of the 2002? Unlike some, I kind of like the Frontier's body style that is rumored to be on the new X. Any sneak peaks out there?
    We have a product here, I'm pretty sure it is state side as well.. Frost Buster.. Spray on, and watch the ice film vanish. I put it in small bottles with a pump spray ( the bottles from eyeglass cleaners are perfect ), and it gets rid of the road grim as well.
    I don't really wash the X during winter.. not worth it with the daily road spray, but I did invest in a power washer. 5 Minutes, the truck is 90% clean, the grit is off, maybe a slight haze is left ( that is the 10% not clean ), put it in the garage to dry. Hands never touch water. I don't trust any car wash, too many bars and deflectors etc on the X.
  • parksrparksr Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone noticed the joints (welds)on the TOW HITCH being "runny" like they are soft paint or glue? Maybe it is a sealer. My Xterra was purchased in early December. RLP
    Well, about 5:30 today, the 2001 X arrived at my door....a beautiful thing. Wouldn't ya know...I'm hopping to get in and go for a spin and my 2 yr old say..."but Dad, I want to watch a movie...". Any other time she would love to get in the car and go for a ride...Oh well, I had to wait for the video to finish but it was worth it. I did remove the gear rack though, given I'm not going to use it much right now and at least I can see a little sunshine thru the sunroof...

looking forward to some fun....
    But I'm glad Dogs don't watch videos :)
  • mikado462mikado462 Member Posts: 10
    My local dealer didn't have a single "X" in stock to even test drive.

I am 6'4" tall and weigh 300lbs. So I'm concerned if there is ample head room, leg room, and side to side room as I test drove an Explorer and a 4Runner and found that my head was hitting the headliner and I was rubbing shoulders with the passenger.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Have you looked at the Ford Excursion?

Seriously though, I'm 6'2";220 and I pretty much fill up the Xterra,
    You might be pushing it.
    funny thing this got mentioned...i was in the car wash last night (automatic) and after the guy lining me up w/ the track, i was going through, rubby dubby w/ the soap, and water. getting my baby clean...and i notice the steering wheel is going right...i tried correcting it, and believe it or not, my X slipped off the track!!! so i had to manually drive through. i did take my time going through the wind tunnel though...
    the one thing i hate about going to the car wash is that w/ the front push bar, the water ALWAYS comes up and blows into the windshield when i'm driving!!! its pretty annoying
    I am a long torsoed 6' and over 300lbs. I sit pretty tight in my Mom's X. I think I'd get used to it, it's not *that* confining, but it's not the most comfortable either.

Only way to know is to test drive one! :-)
  • cj40cj40 Member Posts: 7
    Just completed a trip from the Arkansas Ozarks to Naples,Fl. over to Houston, TX and back to Arkansas, (3000 miles).. The 2001 XE 3 pak performed perfectly, gave a good ride although I did buy some back support cushions when I got to FL, they helped alot for the long ride.
    One thing I did later on into the trip was switch the overdrive on and off when entering onto the highway ramps, passing and climbing the hills and mountains in AR. It gave the X the needed power to feel comfortable doing those things.I rough figured about 18 mi./gal, not really good but I knew that when I bought it but had heard this engine won't die (170 hp 6 cyl), so I'm not complaining. Many places we stopped for gas people would remark how nice the X looked, it's the Silver Ice color.Hope Y'ALL enjoy yours as much as we have ours.
    P.S My 8'6" spinning rods fit perfectly wedged between the rear seats, even got my flyrod in there without taking it apart.
    For the X-games in Vermont ( Feb 2-3-4 ) I'll be there, its not a real X gathering, but a few of us are showing up. A good way to nip the Feb blahs with a little fun.
  • mikado462mikado462 Member Posts: 10
    I guess I'll either wait till the dealer gets some X's in or I'll have to visit an auto show somewhere and check it out.

I have a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD and there's so much room in this baby that I could darn near hold a party in it. So I'm obviously spoiled and certainly don't want to be too confined in my next vehicle.
    its been a while since the last post on this board, and i wanted to wake you guys up!!!!
    anyway, today i put a new toy on my X...my fiancee's ready to kill me!! i got a set of Pilot driving lights! the ones specially made for trucks. they are so damn bright, i can't wait to start blinding people tonight!!! does anyone have them on their trucks?? and if so, do the cops give you any crap for them??? lemme know...
    More toys.. more toys.. I've got the piaa's, bright enough for me, cops will nail you when they feel like it.. the most I got pulled for was having my fogs still on as I pulled off an unlite highway. I had my hand on the switch when he pulled me over, but he was nice enough to give me a warning.
    Some areas require to have them covered within city limits. I never did, and I think it is required here.. at the time I ran 5 100W KC Daylighters and 2 sets of fogs on my 4runner. I used to love pulling up next to someone on a dark highway and then hitting the lights.. the road glowed ahead.
    Remember I had to trim my mud flaps for the Winter Duelers? Well, the 265/75/R15s must be even larger than I thought because I just noticed that a trip that has been 102 miles for quite a while just registered as only 99 miles on the odometer. Do bigger tires also mean I'm actually going faster than the speedometer says? This subject always confuses me.

Stephen King wrote a very creepy short story (the name escapes me) about a woman who every weekend drove from point A to point B. She became obsessed with finding the shortest, fastest route. As she became more and more intent on this quest, her odo was showing fewer and fewer miles for the exact same trip and at the end of each trip, there were strange, never-before-seen-on-earth creatures smooshed dead in the grill of her car.

This is a story, not autobiography. Really. :)

But the Duelers are really great.
    Lets see.. wheels turn faster the smaller they are, therefore the bigger the wheel, the less distance it has to travel, unless its icy.. then you tires spin a hell of a lot fast... except for us cuz we have duelers..:) .... ok.. now I'm confused....
    But the end answer.. you are going a little faster than will be indicated, but a very small margin... look at the bonus.. you just extended your guarantee.

As far as the story.. sounds like Montreal in rush hour...but you only stop for the real big squishies
  • moboskimoboski Member Posts: 1
    Since damaging a wheel on my 2001 Xterra SE, Nissan still has been unable to get a replacement wheel. The new SE has a 16" wheel compared with 15" for the 2000 model. Even up to yesterday the wheel is not itemized on their parts computer system, so my Nissan dealer cannot order a wheel.

Has anyone useful phone-numbers for Nissan Headquarters? 1-800-NISSAN2 or nnaconsumeraffairs@nissan-usa.com are unable/unwilling to deal with my problem.
  • tibertiber Member Posts: 3
    Greetings X Titans. I'm newbie here and marvel at your knowledge,wit, and helpfulness. I have read all 496 posts from Part IX, intend to read earlier posts, and intend to check out XOC. My question didn't come up in Part IX, so wanted to get input. I note somewhere around post #93 a discussion began about 4x4 vs 4x2, LSD, etc. Gonzo7 and 2xterras gave a pretty intense lesson on this issue. Still, I am from south Florida which means (a) I don't know how to vote, (b) it's flat, (c) there's no snow, and (d) there's not even any offroad since it's all pavement. The only time I need power, torque, traction, etc. is at a boat ramp. That would be maybe 20-30 times a year, if I'm lucky. (1)All other things being equal, would I have better success pulling a boat out with 4WD than 2WD? Doesn't seem practical to spend extra on purchase and maintenance for a 4x4 (as opposed to 4x2) for so few episodes where I would need it (though I recognize, as my X (with boat and trailer attached) is skidding down the ramp, about to take a swim, all that practicality goes out the window). (2) Am I fooling myself to think that an X even has that much power? Assume boat, engine, and trailer weigh 3,000 pounds and it's an "average" boat ramp. (3) Anyone have real life experience with this? Don't want a pickup as bed space is a waste of space to me. Don't want another SUV because the X has me smitten. If the X won't pull a boat out of the water, I'll buy a POS pickup but still drive the X. (4) I have time to wait. Would it be better to wait till the 2002s come out with the alleged promise of more power? Not sure I care for a Frontier-type nose though. (5) Would a R/C X pull my R/C boat out? Thanks for the entertainment (reading the old posts), and many thanks for your input.
    I can't really answer your questions because I've never towed anything heavier than my head and I'm not too good at that either...:)

Seriously though, I've had 4x4s for years and I don't think it costs that much more to maintain one, as opposed to a 4x2. Yes, they're a bit heavier because of the extra 4wd stuff, but they're pretty trouble-free other than routine diff and transfer case fluid changes, if ever. Of course, you're right, they are more expensive to buy.
    Having never gone offroad in my life, I was looking forward to the experience. Went out with a friend of mine who has a Wrangler and found some good snowy hills and mud to play in. Four hours (and several small scratches and lots of mud) later, I'm counting down until the next trip! The X handled quite well. The Wrangler's only advantage was being significantly shorter than the X. I think my friends were surprised by the X's performance, even though they kept calling it the "Yuppie-mobile." I'll post a link to some pictures if I ever finish the roll of film and take it in to be developed. By the way, if you don't already have some, the Motorola walkie-talkies are great for multiple truck/car excursions, as well as on the ski slopes or out on the lake. We love 'em!

Mindie