Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    Actually, the rotten egg sulfur smell is coming from the catalytic converters. Most new cars make this smell when new and Nissan is especially proned to it. Mine did it too for a couple weeks. Just wait it out and it will eventually disappear.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I went through the new truck burn off, the burning smell did return, mine is a stick, but I'm not burning my clutch.. after this many years, I hope not.. but I do get it from time to time, the only trend I found to the smell is when it is cold out..and after a short drive. It is still a mystery to me why it comes and goes.

Lately, with the falling temps, I also get that burning smell ( not the same burning smell after shutdown ) when I have to crank the heat to max with the fan at a higher setting. It will last for the first few minutes.. then air out.
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 X and just experienced a new sound that just happened. While moving and a slight turn of the steering wheel to the left, a rubbing, grinding kind of sound occurs from the front end. It doesn't happen when you turn to the right. No unusual driving has occured. I drove to point A and when I finished there to come back home is when this horrifying sound came on. I visually inspected the front end the best I could and saw nothing suspicious. Anyone else have this happen or have any clues to what it may be??? Thanks!
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Two thoughts come to mind.

Do you have stock or bigger tires? Is it snowy or muddy where you are? Maybe one tire is rubbing on some crud on the mudflap when you turn the wheel. You wouldn't see this unless the wheel was still turned when you went to check.

The other rubbing, grinding sound I've ever had was when my auto hubs didn't unlock. This was on my old Isuzu Trooper though, not the X.
    Thanks for the reply. The tires and wheels on my X are still stock. My truck is clean and has not been through any snow or mud. The 4 wheel drive has not been engaged at the time either. It just all of a sudden out of nowhere happened. Guess I might have to take it in to Nissan this week if it doesn't clear up. UGGGHHH!
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    If it makes you feel any better, this happened to me just yesterday. It only lasted for about a second, so I thought I had imagined it. Like you, it happened while turning left (and there was a very little dip in the road). Hasn't happened prior or since that one time yesterday. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens often. I too have stock everything and there's no sign of any snow/sleet/slush anywhere here and I hadn't engaged the 4WD since at least a week prior.
  • xinhawaiixinhawaii Member Posts: 3
    thanks for your reply.my car is automatic. i actually talked to a service manager here. he thought maybe it was due to the fact that i use cheveron gas. he said ever since cheveron added techron to their gas he's noticed more complaints about various things and also noted problems with his car. he suggested to use 76.
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    i thought chevron went out of business a LONG time ago??? at least, here in NJ there are NO chevron gas stations. i use Exxon, Amoco, Gulf. I filled up one time at Getty, and i don't know if the gas was not good or what...but my X was driving horribly! i then filled up w/ Amoco 94, and it ran great. i guess you can say that Xterra's (or at least mine) don't like Getty gas!!
    Well, I found out my little rubbing noise. I neglected to look at the right front side of my truck last night because I first thought it was on the left side. But this morning I found out that someone had bumped the right lower front bumper in front of the tire last night as my X sat in a parking lot. This "bump" popped it out of place and snapped a couple of plastic hinges and one of the screws that held it onto the fender. Luckily for me it pretty much snapped back into place and I was able to screw it back into the fender with what was left of the plastic eye the screw went through. It's not quite as flush with the rest of the front fender but is barely noticable. This is the second minor "bump and run" my X has experienced in the 3 months that I have had it. It's Nauseating!!!! People need to learn how to drive and be responsible for their ability not to. Thanks for the replies guys.
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    I've got a Chevron right up the street - I never go there though. Must be a Jersey thing. :o)

I actually try to buy gas anywhere outside of my county, as we have reformulated crap-gas that (though I acknowledge it's better for the environment) costs more and makes my mileage suck even worse.

Mindie
    I too have noticed that Getty, Gulf and Hess gas smells vile and gives worse mileage.
  • srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    In general I don't puchase these things but the dealer mailed me a card saying that I could still buy it during the first 30 days (I didn't buy through the dealer fyi...).. so my question is, does anyone think it's worthwhile to purchase it? What does it actually extend for you?

Just crossed over the 1K mile mark with my new X and luv it...I make frequent stops by the Amoco but thats ok...I just get to admire it from the outside more often this way...

Thanks
    S
    I'll admit I'm ignorant state side, but here we have a year from purchase to add the extension.. maybe a point to check.. you can keep your money in your pocket and then decide.
    How you take care of your X would be the second indicator.. normal care will keep the x running solid.
    I added the extended guar. to my first 4x4.. it did save me from a good bill.. I didn't get it on my other 4x4.. and over 10 years.. it never came into play.. so hind sight.. it would have been a waste of money.
    So you have a half and half chance that it will be worth the money. If you have time to decide.. wait.. then check out if xterrastore is still selling it at their super rate.. last time I heard, he still had the best price.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Just wait-
    You can buy the warranty anytime while your X is still under the original warranty. Don't make the mistake of buying it right away. You can buy it from any dealer. What if your x gets wrecked or stolen? Maybe you'll decide to sell it after a year or two. Then your 750 warranty is useless money spent. Be patient- there is no hurry.
  • david162david162 Member Posts: 1
    those with SE models... is the sunroof worth moving up from the XE model? those with XE, which packages are you happy with or unhappy with? looking to buy 2001 model in next 6 weeks or so.
    thanks.
    as i've stated before, i used to have a VW Passat, w/ a moonroof. i loved it! i swore i'd never buy another car w/o a moon/sun roof. i now drive a 2001 XE, hence, no sunroof. at first i felt a little confined, but i don't miss it now. anyway, it's more of a pain in the rear since it only pops up and doesn't open up. that's my opinion.
    I have an SE. Though it may be one of the most prominent, the sunroof is not the only difference between an SE and a 3-pack XE. It did however end up being one of the things I got the SE for.

I've taken the sunroof inside cover out of my X completely, and I enjoy having the pop-up roof to get some air circulating. I also like the 6 disc in-dash changer, the leather-wrapped steering wheel, the different seat fabric, the (look of the) wheels, and the titanium dash accents. There's also a difference in wheel size (up to 16" from 15" on the XE) which some see as a potential downfall, if you are offroading, because it also means a lower tire profile. I'm sure there are a few other minor differences between the two models that I've forgotten.

Be sure to evaluate all of these factors as you make your decision. I've never regretted going with my SE, but I wasn't too concerned with the ~$1000 price increase either. I think most everyone here will agree that no matter what X you end up getting, you will *love* it. :o)

Mindie
  • tibertiber Member Posts: 3
    Keep checking here. I am in Fort Lauderdale. I have checked Maroone on Federal and Esserman in Pompano and they both offer 4x2 XE w/3 pack for $23,562 (I think; it's $23,5xx, anyway) sticker. Edmunds TMV (with additional options--body side molding, floor mats, tow hitch, splash guards) is $22,694. That's $650 over invoice. I may be buying this weekend so I will let you know how it goes.
    Is everyone gone on end-of-winter-soon vacations or something? I keep expecting some new messages, but to no avail!

Mindie
  • cletusecletuse Member Posts: 14
    I remember you posting on these (and numerous other) boards when you were waiting to get your X (for "X"Mas, right?) Now you're posting and replying as if you've driven yours to the Yukon and back. Right on. Sounds like you've got it good. Ahh, that new car smell...
    rob in Santa Fe
  • kyxkyx Member Posts: 7
    Mindie: This is my first time here and I don't plan on taking a vacation any time soon! Just wondering if you know anybody in the KY area that likes to off road. In Lex, everybody just shines their SUV up and drives to the grocery store.

xinhawaii: Hope the smell clears up for you. Three months later, I still have a strong sulfur smell that occurs inside and outside the truck. I have tried almost every brand of gas in town. Only thing left is to try to get the dealership to do something about the catalytic converter.

everyone: The stink can't run me off! This is still the most enjoyable automobile that I have ever owned. The problem is that it is so fun to drive that I keep racking up the miles!!!
  • sleddinxsleddinx Member Posts: 4
    No way! I think everyone's out enjoying their X's. I sure am. Kyx mentioned racking up the miles. Same here--gotta head for the mountains every weekend and go mushing! I have had absolutely no problems driving my X in the snow (2001 SE 4X4, stock tires), but I admit it's usually just on compact snow and ice with sand. Except for the one time in the SnoPark parking lot when a pickup got stuck right behind where I was parked and dug a huge hole that I had to back into to leave. The X hardly noticed it. Today, however, I was able to save some miles on the X as I got to go dogsledding out my front door for the first time in three winters. The dogs and I had a blast mushing around the neighborhood and along a commuter trail next to the Interstate. I finally took the X out on the streets and went to work two hours late. Great Day! Hope you all are having fun this winter!
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I just bought my X...(2001 SE, 4WD, Auto Dimming Mirror, Mud Guards, Floor Mats, Filter, useless moonroof and stock 16" tires for $24,600 including frieght). The vehicle has minor problems like a warped side mirror and the fuel guage registers 1/3 full when fully filled with gas. I hope Nissan will fix this or I will have to return the vehicle under the lemon law.

Other than these minor issues, the X beats the heck out of my more expensive Ford Explorer. I read all the reviews that stated the X drives like a truck, but, in reality, the Explorer has a far worse ride and costs a lot more. Moreover, Ford SUCKS after you leave the showroom. I hope Nissan is not the same.

Sometimes the 4WD grinds when I try to put it in gear. Does this happen to anyone else?
    If you shift into 4WD while moving, you will hear some noise. I've never heard it because I always come to a full stop first but I think it's a pretty good clunking noise. (I don't want to hear it, that's why I stop.) In any event, it's best to shift swiftly, firmly and smoothly. If you stop between 2 and 4, you may grind the gears.
    BTW - The Edmunds prices are right on the money. In some markets, vehicles cost more due to socio-economic factors. February is a good time to purchase and dealers just want to make their bulk sale hidden incentive Nissan is offering them. Therefore, they are willing to sell for less than invoice and include extras like the bike rack, the cooler and the seat covers.

On a general rule, one has to walk out of a showroom twice to get a deal under invoice. It is also prudent to cut into the dealer's holdback and floorplan charge. This is 3% of the invoice price for Nissans.

Dealers still make $200.00 - $300.00 per car if they make their quotas, so do not feel bad for sticking it to them. My dealer lost almost $700.00 on the deal and I am darn proud of it. He will just get the next person who will pay sticker.

Thank You, Edmunds, for offering such a superior service!
    Silverxglider,

Thanks for the input. I am so used to my Explorer (Exploader) Sport Model that I tried to change into 4WD on the fly. The grinding noise scared the heck out of me. From now on, I will take your advice and stop before changing from 2WD to 4WD. This vehicle is amazing offroad and took one foot of solid of mud like a champ! BTW- My friend was following in a Pathfinder with the more powerful engine and got stuck!
    when going into 4wd the first time.. ( hubs not locked ) I prefer to be at a stand still as well. Once the hubs are locked, its seems to glide if you are shifting into 4wd when you are moving. I also found pushing down on the lever while pulling it back helps as well.
  • anilkyanilky Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just (couple of months back) bought a 2001 XTERRA SE V6 4x4 5M, my first vehicle in US. Well while driving it at 65-70MPH the RPM ranges between 3000-3200. Looks a little strange, is it normal or should I have it checked ??

thanks
  • tjbrownx2tjbrownx2 Member Posts: 8
    anyone change out the factory turers with aftermarket? seams like one of you guys wrote something about putting a changer under the rear seat? How about the factory am/fm cd/cass is that a worthwhile after thought purchase?
    thanks
    With a stick, in 5th, that is the normal range, haven't checked exactly at those speeds, but at 60, I'm just below 3000.
    Cletuse: Yes, I used to be a lowly lurker, but now I am beginning to feel more like an X-pert! It's nice to see that someone notices me every once in awhile. :o) I've had my X for about 8 weeks now, and it's already got 4000 miles on it (3100 from the first month I had it). Add to that a couple of wheelin' trips, and I feel like I am learning a lot about my favorite vehicle ever!

kyx: I'm learning to offroad - I've been up to Henry County a couple of times with a few buddies of mine (one has a Wrangler), and we find some mud pits and other fun stuff to romp in. (You should see my truck right now - we just took a trip up there yesterday, and you know how wet the ground is from all the rain lately! Good thing we had 200 feet of chain and a tractor, or else my X would still be at the bottom of a hill next to a stream. Soggy ground and going uphill doesn't work very well together!) :o) I've heard of a guy in or near Lexington with a Frontier that's always looking for someone to offroad with, though I've never met him. I can find his name and email if you like. My friends and I are planning on going down to Land Between the Lakes sometime this summer with the X, the Wrangler, and a Blazer. I hear the trails there are pretty good. That trip's still in the works right now though.

msiseng: A bunch of us have had the fuel gauge problem. For most it's just a matter of replacing the sending unit. It's a common problem that your dealer should know about. My X is finally going to the dealer tomorrow to have this fixed. As far as the grinding, I sometimes hear clunks when I switch to 4-hi, whether stopped or not. The only time I've heard it "grind" is when I forgot to shift to Neutral before putting it in 4-lo. I haven't made that mistake again though!

Mindie
  • griffen2griffen2 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with a loud whistling noise coming from the front of the sunroof on drivers side. it happens mostly when the wind is blowing from the passenger side and this is not normal wind noise. I removed the basket and the spoiler and still have it. grate full for anyone's help
  • sidney6sidney6 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an Xterra and was told at the time of purchase that leather interiors,i.e. seats and steering wheel, were not available. Four weeks after I bought it, I noticed that two Nissan dealers in Illinois are selling Xterras with full leather trim packages. I asked the salesmen if they were after-market but was told that they were factory installed. Does anyone know what the true status is of this option? The leather was gorgeous and really took the X to the next level.
    The sunroof whistle has been a common occurance. If I were you, I'd check out www.xterraownersclub.com and use the search feature. I can remember it being covered there recently. I didn't pay much attention because I don't have the problem. :o)

The leather is not a factory option. As I know it, leather is always an aftermarket addition put on by the dealer (usually through some local shop). You're probably better off price-wise to find someone locally to install the leather instead of paying the dealer to be the middle man. :o)

Mindie
    i was the guy that replaced the stereo and put in a changer. i got a pioneer DEH4000 i think...w/ in dash cd, and a pioneer 12 disc changer. i mounted the changer on the vertical wall right underneath the passenger rear seat. it's the only place that i could've put it, since i haul pinball machines in my truck every so often. so i couldn't put it on the back of the seat!!! it's a pain in the butt to warn ppl when they get in the back, "watch the cd changer!!!" and i have to remove the seat cushion to change the magazine! i also changed the speakers w/ some slimline pioneer 5x7 and 6x9's. sounds great!!
  • nw_in_xnw_in_x Member Posts: 4
    I bought a set of guards (brush and rear lights) from WAAG last April (2000) and they are starting to rust. I was quite surprised and disappointed. I called Xterraparts.com and they stated that they would exchange the guards or give me my $$$ back.

I don't want to go through this scenario again next winter, so I called WAAG directly (800-492-2452) to see if they have improved the product. I spoke with someone named Nick at WAAG and he stated that it is a steel product and is prone to rust. He stated that they have improved the product, but like any steel product, it must be “taken care of.” (?) I told him that I live in Chicago and it is kind-of tough to “baby” the guards when it is 15 degrees outside. Nick did not have an answer for me other than the product has been improved. I have my doubts.

I’ve had guards before and have never had a problem (but they came with the vehicle). Unfortunately, I do not know the brand of my previous guards.

Anyone know of another brand?
    I've had several bars, brands and types, ( dealer installed and aftermarket ) all of them showed slight rust after 2 years. The worst were the ones with bolt on points for the headlight guards. I did notice rust discoloration after the 1st year, but was able to scrub it off. I thought they would make them tougher by now, but I guess it's not the case. Good luck with it, I'm still searching for which type to get for mine.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Sidney:
    Q:Do you know how a car salesman is lying?
    A: His lips are moving.

Perhaps the Nissan Xterra ads that say "NO LEATHER" in big red letters should have clued you in to the fact that leather is not available from the factory.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    I too just bought an 01 SE 4x4. The gas guage is stuck on 3/4 full. Dealer is replacing the fuel sending unit tomorrow. Pretty much everyone in the xterraowners club with the same problem has had it fixed with a new sending unit. I think only one guy said it ended up being a faulty circuit board + a bad sender. Seems common on 01 X's. No big deal to fix.
  • haasekhaasek Member Posts: 2
    I know there was some discussion earlier about seat discomfort. Now I'm in that same boat. The permanent lumbar is killing my back the more I drive!!! I'm not sure I understood the "support" ideas described earlier. Can someone layout exactly what they've done to "pad" or "support"? I had a Pathfinder before the X and would simply adjust the lumbar to flat. I can't see how adding any padding will flatten the lumbar in the X - but maybe someone can enlighten me.

In any case, do the Pathfinder seats fit in the X??
  • mensymensy Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to buy an SUV in the next few months and I am leaning towards the X-terra, Tribute, Rodeo. Has anyone else cross-shopped these other vehicles? What was your opinion about the Xterra VS competition?

I also have a question regarding cargo space. Consumer Reports said the Xterra has the most cargo space than any other mini-SUV and even has more useable cargo space than midsize-SUV's (like the Pathfinder and Rodeo). Cargo space is a PRIORITY, but I don't want to buy a big-ute (Expedition or Sequoia). My question is, is it a tedious process of folding down the rear seats to expand cargo space? What are the steps involved? Also, when I looked at the Xterra, it didn't seem as if the cargo bay was very large at all, so I was a bit confused that Consumer Reports said it had a "HUGE" cargo area. Any thoughts on this?

In regards to the 4wd, how easy/difficult is it to engage/disengage 4WD? My wife will probably be driving this in the winter, and I want to make sure the procedure of engaging 4WD isn't difficult for her. I am considering an Escape or Tribute since it has AWD all the time, but I think the Xterra is much more reliable and has a bigger cargo space. Any difficulties engaging/disengaging 4WD?
    first off, the back seats are not as much of a pain as most people think. there are two release points under the rear cushions, and the cushions pop out. there is a latch on each seat back, and the seat folds down. i put the cushions between the headrests and front seats. takes 30 seconds. there is a ton of space back there. i've fit pinball machines in there!!
    in so far as 4WD, are you getting a stick or a/t?? i have a stick, and its very easy to go in and out of 4WD. put in neutral, pull 4WD lever. same thing to get into 2Hi.
    you'll find the X has plenty of room, is very comfortable (hadn't gotten any back pain) and rides super! i've only had mine since Oct. 2000, and have 8500 miles on it, so i do spend a lot of time behind the wheel, and i look forward to getting behind it everytime i unlock my doors!! hope the feeling lasts forever!
    I can't speak to the cargo space... I don't really use it like I could.

But, as far as the 4 wheel drive, I can tell you that I have no trouble using it. I have an automatic, and I find 4-high very easy to slip into. 4-low is a little trickier, but still not difficult if you know what you're doing. I do suggest that you and your wife get used to the feel of the shifting *before* you need it though, and read the owner's manual thoroughly so that you know exactly what to do. But like I said, it's not a big hassle - and it doesn't take a lot of muscle.

Concerning the Tribute or the Rodeo - these were only considerations to me long enough to rule them out. I didn't want a "Zoom zoom" truck that's born from a sports car. I wanted a TRUCKY truck that's born from another truck. :o) So, no Tribute for me! I've had friends with Rodeos, and just riding around in them wasn't that great of an experience, so they weren't really on the top of my list either.

As everyone else on this board will agree, the X is the by far the best selection from the trucks you're considering - make the right choice for you!

Mindie
  • amfemcamfemc Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to thank everyone on this board...I found it last week before I went to test drive my new Xterra. The dealer didn't have the one I wanted, so I had to order one, and reading through the hundreds of posts has really enlightened me onto many things to watch out for on my Xterra. I found from one of the posts a long time ago to look for spots underneath the rear for were the undercoating was rubbed off...mine had it too. Thanks whoever directed me to that board to find that!

Reading about everyone else's X also made me very excited about mine coming in, and held me over during the wait. Luckily my dealer found me a new X on Monday, even though I didn't tell him what I wanted until Saturday night. I got a 2001X SE, silver.

So far, I love my new SUV! I am so glad I chose the Xterra, and look forward to many happy years with it :-)

I also know to buy a pack of zip ties -- seems to fix any problem on the Xterra..
    I agree with one of the previous posts. It's a snap folding down the back seats. It's almost a one-hand operation. I can't compare the amount of space with any other vehicle because I didn't look at anything else. I believe at one time the Rodeo had some reliability issues but I know Isuzu made some changes so they might have been solved, but the Rodeo also cost signficantly more than the X. That was a big factor for me.

And 4WD is easy.
    amfemc > good pick, you'll have fun, and you already have the basic X-tool kit with the zip ties.
    4wd has been answered, so I'll hit cargo. I use mine to the brim. The space behind the rear seats is a little shorter than my old 4runner, but the overall space is bigger. With the higher roof line, it makes it easier to load than any other suv ( of this size ). With the seats down, I definitely was able to load a heck of a lot.
    The only thing I miss is small closed storage bins that are usually popular in the back of any other suv, so you have to be a little creative for storing your dialy truck stuff.
    The rack is more than a show piece, so long extension ladders, sport stuff etc fit better than the racks that come of the other generic suv's. You have a great range with moving the crossbars.
  • xterawanterxterawanter Member Posts: 7
    I just got my new x Tuesday and I love it. SO I guess my name shouldnt be exterawanter but exterahaver lol. I have a question though, at about 100 miles the service engine light came on. I looked up in the manual and it said an emision problem was probably the source. I checked the fuel cap and it was tight. I thought I read somewhere earlier in the posts that someone had a similar problem. If so what was needed to correct the problem?

By the way I have a super black 2001 with the 3 pack and the towing package. I opted for the auto since I have bigger feet and the petals seemed a bit close. Any help would be appretiated.
    getting rid of you wife/girlfriend.. unless you mean you're a "X"haver now... geez.. haven't busted anyone in a while. ;)

Light still could be the gas cap.. hard to tell if it was already on tight when you check it.. might have been on the edge. New habit.. close it until it clicks a few times.
    From what I heard, it takes a few start ups for the light to clear and reset.. or you can go to the dealer.. I think the first reset is free. ( maybe safe than sorry and have them do it anyway )
    If you just purchased the vehicle and only have 100 miles of usage, go to the dealer immediately, make them put you in a rental car and have this checked.

If they do not fix this, return the truck under your state's lemon law. Come with a prepared letter to the Better Business Bureau and to Nissan Corporate. Also, report them to www.planetfeedback.com. Believe it or not, this website is awesome! No, I not affiliated with them!

The last thing a dealer wants is a bad reputation or a tarnished record with Internet rating agencies or The Better Business Bureau.

The last thing you want is a beautiful new X with something wrong with the engine!

For those with the seat question: Nissan does not make leather seats at the factory. They will install seats from an aftermarket dealer, but charge you a hefty premium. Go to a custom shop and have a seat made for you. And no, the Pathfinder seat does not fit onto the X seat track without costly modifications.

While you are at the custom shop, it may be prudent to replace the worthless sunroof with a sliding roof and remove the silly storage bin and airfoil!

"Everything you need, nothing you don't." LOL! You do not need the sunroof as it is worthless underneath the storage bin and airfoil. Bad marketing choice for a solid, well-constructed vehicle, in my humble opinion.

What other SUV employs its ABS system in 4WD mode? Answer: NOT MANY!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "What other SUV employs its ABS system in 4WD mode? Answer: NOT MANY!"

Really? AFAIK, many of them do, especially nowadays. These include the MB M-class, Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Pathfinder, Land Rover/Range Rover, Toyota 4Runner, etc.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards