Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xsexse Member Posts: 66
    if considering other suv's - i should'nt think poor gas mileage would be a 'con' since they all are in the same range.

i also bought my xterra price independent (it came down to it and the rx300). i think the rx is fantastic for what it is, but the xterra is SO much more practical, tough, rugged and simple (in a good way).
    my complaints are:
    1. needs more giddyup from a naturally aspirated engine
    2. seats are thinly padded cheapo's

it asks for nothing and does everything. isn't that what you want your suv to do? keep that in mind when take test drives.
    for example, the RX was so nice, carlike inside- it was just unrealistic to use it as an suv. mtbiking, camping, fishing, etc can be pretty messy activities and i didn't want to buy an suv to have another thing to worry about. know what i mean? also, the cargo area was small and the sloping rear hatch meant my dog was uncomfortable sitting back there- inefficent use of space.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    I think the "giddyup" is fine in the X. If I wanted a faster vehicle, I'd have bought a sports car or a something with a V8.

Seats - mine are king as far as comfort goes.

My only complaint about the X is that Nissan puts such crappy tires on it. First thing off the X were the General Grabber AW's. I have a Frontier and they came off that truck pretty quckly too. Probably a cost cutting measure, same as there being no lock on the passenger side door.
  • mmangahasmmangahas Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info regarding 4WD on dry roads. But I still have more questions (forgive my ignorance). I understand what xcanuk said about the inside wheels turning slower during a turn, but isn't that the case in 2WD mode as well? Also, my X has limited slip differential... does that help the situation at all?
    I noticed that the back of my X gets dirty very quickly. Has anyone bought and installed the rear wind deflector? Does it help to reduce the accumulation of dirt on the back? How much did it cost to get installed?
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    after wanting one for a long, long time! Being a newbie, I have a few questions for the board, one: do you have to wait 3,ooo miles for the first oil change? or can I do it more quicky? I'd like to move to a synthetic, but I don't want to cause any trouble with the break-in process. two: i got an automatic, my first in years, and I don't know anything about overdrive. Do you ever not use it? What is it exactly? and how does it affect gas mileage and performance? About the K&N filter? Is it worth getting? And if so, when would be the time to install one? And BTW, thanks everyone for so many interesting conversations and information, I learned much by reading this board, and it convinced me that I made the right choice.
  • cletusecletuse Member Posts: 14
    More ?'s on 4WD:

Yes the wheel are turning/moving at different speeds in 2WD as well, but they are not locked into the differential.

Newbie:

You don't have to wait for 3K to change the oil. On my first X , I switched at 1,500 to Mobil 1. On my second X I waited 'till 2,500 (Mobil 1 again). No particular reason. There are prevaling theories that the oil should be changed early on to eliminate metal filings/pieces/shavings from the oil pan.
    On the A/T the overdrive is automatically engaged everytime you start the engine. To disengage press the button on the inside left of the shifter. I only disengage for steep climbs in the mountains.

And props to both of you for a fine choice in an SUV.

rob in Santa Fe
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    the binding effects the front wheels a bit more because of the turning action.. you're only ignorant if you don't ask.. ;) once the hubs are unlocked and out of 4wheel drive, the front wheels turn independantly. If you are real curious, the next time your x is on a lift, try spinning your tires by hand.

I've got the rear deflector on, it helps to various degrees, if you have the basket and front deflector off, ( my winter mode ) it works great, with them on, still better than before. I installed it myself, it just takes time, patience and guts to drill..I'm glad I did it myself because I took a few extra precautions..(sealing the holes etc) that I'm sure the dealer wouldn't do.

Oil change.. dido cletuse.. K&N filter, no gain in mpg, the X seems to have a touch more pep, you can put one in at any time. From what I know about auto overdrive, its worth keeping it off when driving in city traffic to stop false shifts. My X is a stick, but its something I do with my wife's car.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    The front differential allows the inner and outer wheels to turn at different speeds whenever necessary going around turns when you're in 4WD. The rear diff does the same all the time. The binding you feel in 4WD on dry roads comes from the fact that when the X is in 4WD, the front and rear axles are forced to turn at the same speed no matter what. This is because the X does not have a center differential.

The limited slip is supposed to sense wheel slip in the rear in a low traction situation and try to correct it by sending some torque to the wheel with traction instead of sending all torque to the one that is slipping. The jury is still out on how effective the LSD is in the X, though.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Does anyone hear a "tin" sound in the back of their X's? Sounds like a tin ladder clanging around or wire coat hangers banging together in a closet. Is this typical of the X?

On the tire issue, I agree! The stock tires suck for off-roading or even for driving in snow. Nissan could do much better.

The seats also are life preservers, at best. Overall, you cannot buy a better truck for the dollar. Just have to pay for aftermarket modifications to make it a viable and comfortable on/off-road vehicle.

You could pay thousands more for a Pathfinder, but why?
    not sure if its the sound, but do you have the cargo cover open or closed when you drive? I found on a few occasions, when the cargo cover is not fully retracted back, the slack will cause a slight knocking.
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    I feel like it is too tall..can I get a shorter one? Who does this ?? I feel like I am driving a bus..and with Solar yellow..geeze..

YOWSA..this thing is EATING gas..any tips? I have a 4x4 6 cyl manual SE

Annie
  • tperrastperras Member Posts: 2
    My Xterra was back to the dealer twice within the first two weeks of ownership. Both times the problem seemed to be a short in the electrical harness behind the instrument cluster. A fuse popped, the instruments shut down and the vehicle began to hesitate. Anybody else have a similar problem? Is this a sign of future electrical problems?

Thanks,
    I've noticed some complaints here about the cheap tires which come with the Xterra. Has anyone here replaced their tires yet? How many miles should I expect them to last? Can anyone recommend a tire to replace the original equipment?
    Yes, get rid of the Genral Grabbers and get a set of BFG A/T ko tires. They are the best at providing great traction in snow, mud, gravel, etc and the on-road ride is about the same as the stock tire. They are about the best all around tire. Mud Terrrains willobviously be better in the mud, but are loud and bumpy on the highway. The BFG AT ko will also last you 60-80 thousand miles. The Generals will go about 25-30 before they are shot.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I have the BFG Long Trail stock tires. I'm perfectly happy with them for everything except big mud and snow. I haven't yet gone seriously off road. I have snows on now but plan to put the BFGs back on in spring. When they die, I'll probably get Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts.

A couple of people have cut the manual shifter down themselves and put new shift knobs on. Xcanuk may be one?

No electrical problems here.

Eating gas? Stop driving. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I try to keep speed down to around 55-60 mph and tire pressure at 30 psi. I drive pretty gently. I have a 5sp XE 3 pack and get 19-20mpg on mainly two lane roads.
    I really don't want to bust your balloon, ( and this is just my opinion ) but you are off with the A/T's. The A/T's are great tires, I'll start with that. But they are just as bad in the snow, maybe?? a very slight edge over the generals, but not much. They won't last twice as long, a bit longer because of the deeper thread, I got 80kilometers (miles?) out of my first set, they don't shed water on ashaplt driving as well the long trails. Will decrease you mpg a bit as well.

I would recommend them and will give it high marks if you want a great on road and off road tire. Although, I regret that 80% of the X's don't make it to offroad, it might be overkill.
    I've driven with A/T's for 10 years, even tried them on my X of a month of winter and moved to duelers. I don't follow all the hype to them, mainly because for most X drivers, this is their first 4x4 and have nothing to compare to. With that being said.. I've still have my Long trails for daily driving, my set of A/T's for when I head for a week-end of trail riding, and my duelers for winter... 3 sets of rims and a good floor jack.

Damn.. I miss not having the old feature when a post sneaks in.. sorry for repeating silverglider

I didn't cut the shifter, just changed the knobs and lowered the boot, it only looks shorter. I know it looks like it sticks out like a sore... but it works out to a nice level. I did shave about -1/2" by installing a knob with a tiltable head.
    WOW!

You must spend a lot of time changing tires! The stock tires are the first modification anyone should make. Where did you buy your extra rims and for how much? Are they 16" rims?

The General Grabbers are a pitiful excuse for molding rubber, in my humble opinion. Nissan must have done this to save money? The Grabbers are fine for the dry road if anyone reading this does absolutely no off-roading and does not drive in rain or the snow!

I looked at the Michelin ATs which are also rated high. Will probably get the BFG A/T ko tires because I already have them on another SUV and people in the MAXC have spoken so highly of them for both on/off-roading.

I think the strange "tin" sound is the spare tire chain hitting the spare tire rim, as many on The MAXC Board have indicated. Could also be the cargo cover as someone here indicated? Will report once the culprit is located as others (on other boards) are experiencing the same issue.
    I don't "follow all the hype" about BFG AT ko's either. I just think if you want an all around awesome tire, they are it. They are king in the snow I go through and waaaaaaay better than the Generals. Also , the ko tires are a lot different from previous BFG AT's. I had duelers on a previous vehicle and felt like I was taking my life in my hands on wet pavement. Tires I guess are a very subjective thing, but there's a pretty strong consensus out there that the BFG AT ko's are one of the best all around off-road/highway tires. If you use 3 sets of tires, then great, but the majority of us want to put our $$$$ into one set of tires that will last. My previous set of BFG AT's went 78,000 miles and I only rotated them once.

Also, just for anyone's info....BFG doesn't actuallly make tires anymore. They stopped about a decade ago. BFG's are made by Michelin, that's why Michelin's AT is comparable to the BFG AT.
    Here's some consumer comments on BFGs.....

http://www.carreview.com/reviews/tires/product_1108.shtml

are the 2 best all-terrain tires out there. bfgoodrich is overrated, imo. they are not as good off road or on road.
    both the pirelli and yokohama are smoother on road, have more control. off road, they shed snow and mud better than the bfg at.
    the bfg are noisy, slippery on wet pavement and comparable off road.
    i am still on my original tires, but when i replace its going to be either the pirelli or yokohama- whichever happens to be cheaper at the moment.
  • xterawanterxterawanter Member Posts: 7
    I have a question in reference to stock off roading. Is there anyone out there who has not made any mods to their X and how has the off roading performance been? I have a Super Black X 3 pack XE with Auto trans. Thanks.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    I've asked this question of someone already, but am curious to find out what others have been paying in the Mid-Atlantic area. After fiddling around with some numbers, I'm wondering how a $22,000 out-the-door price (+/- a couple of hundred)will work for an XE or SE. I want auto tran & 4wd. Any (hopefully kind) words from the posters?
    i, as well as many others, have gone and regularly go off road on the stock tires.
    they are not ideal, but they do the job. if you are thinking of serious 'off roading' (for the sake of 'off roading' and not to 'get somewhere') then you may want to invest in new tires.

i drove some trails in a downpour and they turned to mud. the stock tires sucked. i had to keep up some speed to shed enough mud to get some traction. its noisy with all that mud flicking up into the wheelwells but i made it ok. but i def. am getting all terrain tires for the future. if you do most of your driving on pavement, then i wouldnt change the tires.

xcanuk- didnt mean to contradict your post on bfg atko's.
    everyone should check out the tires, other opinions on them. people have differing experiences in diff. areas. i think xcanuk's opinion should be taken seriously, as i believe he experiences many harsh conditions up north.
    I think it's difficult to determine if $22,000 is a good price without more information. Are you comparing an XE 3-pack to an SE? The way I determined a good price is to look at Edmund's TMV price, and see what that price is relative to invoice. I felt comfortable with that pricing strategy.
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    xwanter,
    i just went last weekend offroading w/ MAXC in PA. the trails were about 4-6 inches deep with snow. i have the stock Grabbers on my '01 XE. i did just fine. except for getting stuck on a big hill once...there were about 5 X's w/ stock tires, either the grabbers or the long trails (01 vs 00) and we all did just fine.

radiogirl,
    i think 22k is rediculously low for any X w/ auto tranny. where do you live?? i'm in NJ, and i keep seeing ads for an '01 SE auto, on special for like $22,999...but they're just trying to move stock. they said they have 90 at similar savings...check NJ area dealers out...
    As far as price, you not only have to look at the out the door price, and the X set up.. but all the other factors.. trade in, interest rates charged..the list goes on. I think we can only compare ballpark prices. An X can cost $1000. more, but the dealer gives you $2000 more on a trade in..etc.
    As far as the tire debate.. I'm not knocking the A/T's, If you are more of a paved roadie, they might be overkill. You didn't condradict me Xse, Long Trails do get mucked up, I meant shedding water on paved roads.
    As far as having extra rims & tires, the 3rd set are from my 4runner.. the rims fit, but have a different offset and are 15x8's. ( equiv. to the AR767 some are running with ) I have AR Outlaws for my Long Trails, and the X steel rims for my duelers ( calcium build up usually trashes rims here ) swapping tires only takes 15 minutes
    xwanter,
    i just went last weekend offroading w/ MAXC in PA. the trails were about 4-6 inches deep with snow. i have the stock Grabbers on my '01 XE. i did just fine. except for getting stuck on a big hill once...there were about 5 X's w/ stock tires, either the grabbers or the long trails (01 vs 00) and we all did just fine.

radiogirl,
    i think 22k is rediculously low for any X w/ auto tranny. where do you live?? i'm in NJ, and i keep seeing ads for an '01 SE auto, on special for like $22,999...but they're just trying to move stock. they said they have 90 at similar savings...check NJ area dealers out...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2000 Nissan Xterra SE

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I live outside of Wash D.C, I got my 01 SE 4x4 auto trans for 25K out the door (including destination and taxes and tags). $22,000 is rediculously low and any ad that claims that is either talking about a 4cly engine or it's a bait and switch. Try looking at Carmax (www.carmax.com). They have new vehicle dealerships and I bout my X at Nissan Carmax outside of Baltimore. Their no haggle price was around 24,800 for a loaded SE. XE's are about 24,000 even, plus tax, tags, etc. Plus they gave me waaaay more for my trade than any regular dealer around D.C would.
    Glad to see you joined the ranks! Also, glad you got the SE! You received a good price. Happy to see you did not pay the silly "processing fees" that the Virginia dealers charge! The price you received lost the dealer over $400.00. They must really want to sell vehicles or did they make-up the money on the trade?

With the '01, SE, Auto, did they include mud flaps, a microfilter, carpeted floor mats, and the auto-dimming mirror in that price? With all these options, $24,600.00 is the best price I have seen without a trade...

Only thing you have left is to change the pathetic tires!

The NJ prices are 23K without taxes, tags or destination and the NJ "handling" fee; read the fine print.
    I'm in the DC metro area. The only thing to do, i suppose, is increase my downpayment then, unless someone really wants to move one. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and then see what they may offer. Maybe $22k and taxes? Not in a rush to buy but am trying to feel the waters. Has anybody had experience with buying clubs (United Buying Service, BJ's, Costco, etc.) and are they worth using? I have no trade in...my car is about to lose its transmission and to replace it would be $1500, more than Kelly BB worth of car, which is about $600. Car is 12 yrs old and 173k miles on it (routine preventive maintenance got me this far). I do media relations for my workplace so maybe that may hold some sway, even just a little. When I bought my current car brand-new, the dealership owner cut about $3000 off the sticker and being a young pup, I was amazed at the ease of doing business after getting haggled and talked-down to at so many other places. I asked around later and was told it was a good price for the car. Wish it were that easy again!!
    Got the Solar Yellow SE 4x4 6 cyl. 2001...Love it..but hate the tall shift..

Got 300 miles on a tank of GAS..YIKES..it better get better..how many gallons of gas does the tank on the SE hold? Gotta do my math..Annie
    I thought someone found a new twist with all the flags.. mmm the only maple leaf in a field or red white & blue eh..
    Unless you are real careful with the gas pedal and cruising speed, the X sucks gas, but its one line with every other creature of this nature.
    I have a friend who works at a Nissan dealership in ALexandria. He said there's no way you're gonna get a 2001 XE 4x4 with auto trans for 22K. If that's as high as you'll go, then consider dropping the 4 wheel drive and auto tranny. A base XE stick shift without 4wd will go for around that price. Otherwise, like I said earlier, try either the new Carmax Nissan dealer in Baltimore, or try any carmax and get a used 2000. UBS and taht type of buying system is ok, but in the end you really don't get any better of a deal then you would if you haggled. Basically you're just saving the hassle of haggling. That's why I went to carmax. Same thing really. Good luck!
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Geez, you're doing better than I ever have with gas. I've never seen mine get above 270 miles before I refill (and that's with the light on for several miles). I wouldn't count on it getting much better...

All the gas I have to put in my X used to bother me, especially when I first got it and was so accustomed to getting 450 miles/tank with my Accord. But now I don't care. I just want to drive my X. :o)
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    this is what they had to say:

"Overview: The Nissan Xterra appeared as a 2000 model in the summer of 1999. Based on Nissan's Frontier pickup, it was intentionally made to be a rugged, basic, trucklike SUV. Hence the name. It sported a large cargo area but a fairly light load capacity. Highs included a good off-roading capability and towing capacity. But the ride, handling, braking, and fuel economy were mundane or worse. The front seats weren't very supportive and were rather low. The rear seating area was spacious although the seats themselves were thinly padded. The Xterra was a useful size but not the right choice for people who value comfort, quietness, or refinement."
    i'm jealous of you guys!! i want my american flag!!!
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    thought I'd weigh in here on the cost thing since
    I just got mine last week, paid 24,900 including
    destination, with micro-filter, mats, splash guards
    and mirror, got a deflector on the hood, too. I thought I got a GREAT deal, since invoice is 24000
    thats for an SE with auto & 4wd. At least here in
    chi-town. After all, the Xterra is a much sought after vehicle, I don't think many dealers around here feel they need to go below invoice to sell one. Anyway, got what I wanted, felt pretty good about the price, and now I'm gonna go out to drive it in some snow! Great weather here, by the way.
  • beanikbeanik Member Posts: 4
    I Do not (yet) own an Xterra, but have spent the last month researching the X since some dirty rat stole the Jeep. From what I have seen almost every X owner LOVES their vehicle and has fun with them. The only problem most mention is Gas mileage. This was holding us back from deciding what SUV to focus on until we compared the X to others with the same frame and engine. Turns out that 16/19 mpg is pretty standard. This makes me think that most of us are just hoping for the gas mileage of a Sentra and the power of a truck. I think we'll make the trade off and take the X cuz if the worst thing about it is that it gets the same gas mileage as the 4Runner, Pathfinder, and Explorer etc.. Then for the price they're asking this ROCKS!
    Whoo hoo, my hitch just arrived in the mail. Now, if only the snow would melt and the ground would dry out so I can get under the X and install it.... :-(
    I figured I got 15.75 miles per gallon on my first tank..50% hwy at 60 MPH and 50% town...

I love it..

how many miles can I got when the E light goes on? I could get 25 more on the Camry..

Annie
    It not so much the snow.. as the temp outside. If you want numb hands, install a cold hitch. Might sound stupid, but keep the hitch inside until you are ready.. warm metal is easier to work with than cold, park your X in the sun.. and go for it. Since we are coming off a grit winter, you might want to clean and spray the bolts you are taking off with liquid wrench, go have a coffee.. then start.
    Thanks to all who posted the cost comparisons on the XE and SE pricings. Since the last car I bought was $12,000 in 1988 (an '89 Mustang) and the owner of the dealership chopped off $3,000, I suppose I'm due for a bit of sticker shock when shopping now, esp. for such a different vehicle. When I tallyed how much the 'stang cost me per month by having it all these years, it came to $94.00 a month!! Not having any sons, Dad made sure sis and I knew how to keep our cars running with lots of preventive maintenance. Before we could get our driver's licenses we had to show him that we knew how to change a tire, in case we got stuck in the middle of nowhere (remember, this was before even those high-falutin' attached-to-the-car, brick-sized cell phones were around). Since then I've learned how to change my oil (though doing it in the driveway in November converted me to having my mechanic do it now), gap my plugs and other little things. And I must say, having had a wonderful mechanic to whom everybody in our family has taken cars means a lot, especially for a woman. If you ladies need a mechanic, I'd advise you to ask other women, not men, as it can be a very different story between a man's recommendation and a woman's experience w/the same mechanic. Every once in a while, if a job on the car was big, I'd get a little "long-time customer discount" on the bill. A super guy and despite the fact that he's now 30 miles away from me, I'll be taking my X to him (whenever I get it). Peace of mind is worth it.
  • chettt99chettt99 Member Posts: 10
    Have 900 miles on my new SE and I'm down a little on the dip stick. What's your experience with this v6 engine? They recommend changing at 3750 miles. Is this soon enough, especially for the first change? Anyone out there use Penn's 5w30 and if so,have you had good luck with it? Based on your own experience what do you recommend? Thanks.
    On any new vehicle is is recommended to change the oil at $1,500 miles to remove the metal shavings in the oil pan. Would also be a great idea to switch to Mobil One oil to preserve the engine! Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and many others have found this to be superior oil. It may cost more up-front, but it is worth it to save wear-and-tear on your engine.

Regarding the dipstick, better get that checked. It does not seem to be standard. How much has it dropped?

Does anyone's 4wd seem to grab and almost stall when driving under 5 - 10 mph? Seems to have no problem over 10 mph. I heard this is standard on the X, but am beginning to wonder?
    A little loss can be normal, break in etc, but minimal, maybe the oil wasn't at the right level to start with. The dip stick is a little funky, make sure its put in all the way.
    msiseng: I have no idea what you are asking.. the engine stalls using 4x4 under 10mph ? ( on a manual or auto )... I've crawled in 4wheel with no problems.
    I came home and noticed my fog light covers are gone..! Could they have "fallen" off? Why would anyone take them..?

Ughh..wonder how much to replace..

Annie
    What kind of automated car washes work on the X?

Annie
    the touchless car washes work- others are at your risk, although they may be fine.

25 miles with the E light on sounds about right- i think yhe reserve is 3 gallons

someone probably stole the covers, unless they were installed improperly. are you sure they were ever there? if not, if you just got the truck, maybe the dealer will replace them.