Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bluetooth and the 3-Series

carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
edited July 2014 in BMW
Recently, when making a call, I am unable to hang up. Either the car shows a call in progress and although I haven't continued, the radio either will work or not. I am unable to hang up with the car's Bluetooth system or from my phone itself. I've had to turn off my cell pone to hang up.

Anyone else with the same or similar problem?

Comments

• screwbluetoothscrewbluetooth Member Posts: 10
    I've got the same problem. It happens infrequently (maybe 1 out of every 30 calls). I use TMobile. My system works 95% of the time, so I am ok with it.
  • stevenycstevenyc Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for my question but it is Bluetooth related...

I just leased an X3 (not yet received) and I need to get a new phone to take advantage of the Bluetooth. Anyone know if the TMobile SDA works in X3's or any BMW's for that matter. I am currently on TMobile and would like to stay with them. Or how about the Razr?
  • handelhandel Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 330xi and the Bluetooth connection with a Verizon Razr has worked just fine. About 5% of the time I cannot get a connection, but when it works, the interface with the car radio, the transmission over the speaker system, and the ability to control volume and connection from the steering wheel are impressive and elegant.
  • ank2ank2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into a 2006 325i and want the Bluetooth connection feature. I was wondering whether you can get Bluetooth without BMW Assist, in particular does it come on a car with iDrive/no Assist?
  • planbplanb Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone attempted to use the hands free phone via bluetooth connection with a Blackberry 8700c?

I have an '06 330i and have had terrific experience with the Motorola Razr (except on rare occasions when phone calls won't hang up), but may move my phone to my bberry. The 8700c is listed by BMW as a compatible phone on the web-site, but I was curious for any experience.

In particular, how does the voice command work for dialing numbers work when there are several numbers plugged into each name on the blackberry for office, home, mobile, etc.? With the Razr, each entry is saved separate (i.e., "Joe Work" and "Joe Cell") so it is not a problem, i.e., you simply say "Joe Work or "Joe Cell." It would be a less attractive function to have bluetooth with the bberry if I couldn't call up names by voice command.

Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Got my '06 back from the dealer after BMW Assist link needed fixing. Now my phone is no longer paired. It was done originally by the dealer when I took delivery of the car. I can't find anything on how to pair in any of the six of so manuals I have.

Help.....how do I pair the phone?

Thanks!
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    Once the dealer downloaded software to update the system or to fix a problem, all previous settings were erased. This happened to me when I brought the car in to update the transmission software which led to the Bluetooth phone not working afterward. You can either bring the car back for the dealer to pair again or follow the instruction in the booklet on phone in the manual packet. It is not that hard as it gives you step by step instructions.
    "...follow the instruction in the book on phone...."

Well, that's the problem, with all the manuals I received with the car, there was no phone manual. In the main manual it is ridiculous that there were no instructions on how to pair the phone. The BMW website is helpful except where it mentions that the 3-series and X3's require a pass code and to check the manual. This is not the case except for older models than the E90. I found that out AFTER going back to the dealer this morning.

Conclusion: the (main) car manual and website should help make this process as easy as it ultimately is.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I think it is becoming quite ridiculous as far as manuals go for the new BMWs. I just went back to check and indeed there is a manual on phones with an old-fashioned telephone booth picture on the cover. As I counted, there are four thick manual/information booklets and four thinner ones. The one on phone set-up is the thin one. If you don't have it, you may want to ask the dealer to get you one. I have found I have to refer back to instructions for so many things. The holder for all these manuals is so big that one has to leave it in the trunk for storage!
    Do any '06 3-series owners with Bluetooth subscribe to Verizon? If so, does your car's phonebook download on your BMW?

I'm thinking of switching providers and wonder if the BMW's Bluetooth is compatible with Verizon in retaining all of its features.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    It's a feature of the phone, not the car. Anyone with Verizon service can't transfer the phonebook via Bluetooth, as Verizon has disabled that feature. If you can use a cable, it will work.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ummmmm....my Verizon Motorola Q transeferred my phone book on the phone with no issues whatsoever via bluetooth. No need for any cable.

Sound quality is great, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    It's a feature of the phone, not the car. Anyone with Verizon service can't transfer the phonebook via Bluetooth, as Verizon has disabled that feature. If you can use a cable.....

Do you have Verizon and therefore this problem?
    It shouldn't be a problem with either Verizon, or the car. The phone book should download when it pairs with the 3 series via blue tooth.

I know for a fact it works with both the Motorola Razr and the Q, because I've done it. I don't know if other brands of blue tooth phones have issues, though.
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    Not True.
    I have Motorola V710 & phone book transfers flawless!
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    What's all this then? Verizon wireless Users Sue Over Disabled Bluetooth

I'm glad it's working for some, but it doesn't work for all. I guess it depends on how the car implements the phonebook transfer; mine does it as a file transfer, which Verizon Wireless has disabled.

So, I guess my initial statement of "It's a function of the phone, not the car" was incorrect. :blush:
    What's all this then? Verizon wireless Users Sue Over Disabled Bluetooth

I'm glad it's working for some, but it doesn't work for all. I guess it depends on how the car implements the phone book transfer; mine does it as a file transfer, which Verizon Wireless has disabled.

This is why I inquired how a Verizon phone is functioning with the BMW's Bluetooth in downloading the phonebook.
    Looks like that story was written over a year and a half ago. It also sounds like it's focused on the v710. Since "barry's" v710 downloads the names an phone numbers, it sounds like the issues were resolved with that phone, too.

I think Verizon must have done a "turn about". All the capabilities of my Razr and Q are fully functional via bluetooth and work with my 330i....that includes phone book downloads when I paired them.

Not sure of this, but I would imagine all bluetooth phones download via file transfer to get the phone book and names. No hard wire connection is needed. I change/add/delete names and phone numbers and it's updated whenever I start my car with the phone in my pocket.

In short, bluetooth capable Motorola phones on the Verizon network are fully functional with the 3 Series.
  • mozgifixmozgifix Member Posts: 6
    where can i find ''' pass code to pair my bluetooth phone?
    it says go to the owner manual...
    appreciate your help
    where can i find ''' pass code to pair my bluetooth phone?

I assume you have an '06 3 series? If so, I had the need recently to re-pair my phone after a service visit. Do you have iDrive? If so, put in the password of your choice on your phone and scroll to the select password selection on the car, push select and it'll find your phone when the phone is on seek handsfree device mode.
  • mozgifixmozgifix Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for reply, carnaught. I have z4 (no nav) and when i start the car and enable discovery on my cell phone the car finds the phone. After that I need to enter the pass code (should be in my owner manual but I don't see it anywhere!) and here I have hard stop! Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    The pass code was set by you, correct? If so, just enter the one you designated originally....or designate a new one.
    I have z4 (no nav) and when i start the car and enable discovery on my cell phone the car finds the phone. After that I need to enter the pass code (should be in my owner manual but I don't see it anywhere!) and here I have hard stop! Any suggestions?
    Thanks

You have a Z4 and not a 3-Series? Hmmm, then I don't know. Did you try going to the BMW website?
  • uuyrwdsuuyrwds Member Posts: 6
    I currently have Cingular service and my Motorola v551 seems to be great as far as bluetooth compatibility, but I am upgrading my phone and Cingular only has the Razr from Motorola. I checked the list from BMW and they seem to recommend mostly Motorola products, Razr included. The problem is that Cingular does not recommend Motorola, but rather rates Nokia highest. I want to get a Nokia 6102i, but BMW advises against it. Does anyone have any experience with Nokia products and the 325? I also don't like the way the Razr looks. Thanks guys.
    currently have Cingular service and my Motorola v551 seems to be great as far as Bluetooth compatibility, but I am upgrading my phone and Cingular only has the Razr from Motorola. I checked the list from BMW and they seem to recommend mostly Motorola products, Razr included. The problem is that Cingular does not recommend Motorola, but rather rates Nokia highest. I want to get a Nokia 6102i, but BMW advises against it. Does anyone have any experience with Nokia products and the 325? I also don't like the way the Razr looks. Thanks guys.

I similarly have the same combination, namely the 3-series, Cingular and the v551. My problem is not with the phone itself, but with my local Cingular service. With my complaints to Cingular, they have recommended the Razr. Does their Nokia have Bluetooth? The Motorola works so well with my BMW, I hate to change brands, but I may change cell phone providers.
    The Nokia does have bluetooth, but there aren't any Nokias on the BMW recommended bluetooth list. My Cingular service is great, so I won't change providers. I just need to find a bluetooth phone not on the BMW list that other members have had success with. BMW won't back up any complaints with bluetooth service on the 325 unless you buy a phone off of their list of phones which have proven to work in sinc with the BMW bluetooth service. The rep I spoke with suggested the message boards as a way of communicating with other BMW owners who may have had success sincing a phone not on their list.
  • bmwtxgalbmwtxgal Member Posts: 11
    Oh yes, I have had the same exact problem. I actually turned off the engine, got out of my car, and could see that the connection was still showing on my radio display. After I walked away, it went off.

It's happened maybe twice since I had my car. I have Cingular and I wasn't sure if it was my phone or the car, so I didn't bother to ask.

I've also had a problem with it connecting at all on occasion. Turned my phone on and off but still no connection.

My guess is it's just a quirk, could be the cell provider, phone, or car. I love the feature anyway! :)
  • bmwtxgalbmwtxgal Member Posts: 11
    The Bluetooth feature comes with the Premium package, along with the premium leather seats and HomeLink system. You don't have to have iDrive or BMW Assist.
  • imran62781imran62781 Member Posts: 26
    anybody know if you need a regular headphone jack or a RCA to connect to the AUX port in the 3 series? I am trying to connect my shuffle. thanks!!
  • imran62781imran62781 Member Posts: 26
    anybody know if you need a regular headphone jack or a RCA to connect to the AUX port in the 3 series? I am trying to connect my shuffle. thanks!!
  • citskcitsk Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2006 BMW 3 series in December. I've a Motorola razor phone and had initial problems with sync-ing. It would only sync 50% of the time. I took the car back to BMW. They had it two days and claimed it was working perfectly.

I've been through every fault finding trick that t mobile and motorola suggest. I've since spent three months using different cell phones in my car - all seem to syn perfectly when I use them with the exception of motorola phones. I've now had 3 new razors - replaced by T mobile and also Motorola. I'm still having the same problems.

Has anyone seen or heard of this problem. BMW implied that there are issues with Motorola phones
  • daveptllcdaveptllc Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2007 3 series and a Razr from Sprint. The phone pairs-up fine and receives calls without problem but when making calls I can only hear them through the radio about 50% of the time. Usually it then works if I hang up and repeat the call. It is an annoyance that I live with. The dealer said that BMW has only confirmed compatability with Razrs from Verizon and that each cell carrier's Razr is different. Hope that helps.
  • 07bimmer07bimmer Member Posts: 2
    I jsut recently bought a 328xi with bluetooth. The phone works great with the Razor and the Cingular service. The only problem that I am encountering is trying to voice dial by name. The car will not let me record a name and my voice library did not transfer from my phone to my car. Is anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Is your phonebook on a sim card, or on the phone... Only entried recorded directly on the phone will work.. Info from the sim card doesn't transfer..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm asking about a different phone service as I have to leave Cingular.

Will a Sprint Razr phone be compatible with the 3-series Bluetooth? Can the Razr's phone book be downloaded by the 3-series' Bluetooth?
    I didn't like the Razr as a phone in general. It kept fading in and out and was annoying. I got a different Motorola that wasn't on the compatible list and it worked. I would ask your new carrier if you could try the phone for 30 days just to be sure. I returned my Razr after 24 hours.
  • donnabgood1donnabgood1 Member Posts: 39
    here's a cool article I thought I'd post here, about bluetooth and technogly. enjoy. :)

Cell phone chats totally out of this world
    Mark Morford

Friday, May 11, 2007

So there I was, happily cruising along Interstate 80 coming down from the Sierra and doing about 85 mph just like almost everyone else except a few rusty old Tercels and some creaky motor homes and, of course, the slew of cold-hearted, machinelike CHP officers waiting calmly for me at the speed trap just up ahead. But never mind that now.

My car calmly reported an outside May temperature of a scant 35 degrees, and the surrounding mountains were still licked by a soft glaze of snow, and I believe I was blasting a terribly cool song from the incredible new Kings of Leon CD, just one of a 200-song super road-trip megamix I had compiled a few days prior from the roughly 6,017 songs stored on my MacBook Pro, which I had then effortlessly transferred to a tiny, shiny Cupertino-designed slab of black plastic and silicon roughly the size of a pack of Camel Reds, a device that can easily hold every song I would ever want to listen to, and it was plugged into a tiny socket somewhere in my glove box, and all was good with the world, when just then the steering wheel rang.

Or, to be more specific, my cell phone rang, but the sound came straight through the car's stereo system, which centered the sound right in front of my face, which made it feel like it was coming from the steering wheel because, well, this is apparently how it works, my tiny Motorola SLVR magically communicating with the car via invisible brain-melting Bluetooth waves. Hence, whenever I'm driving and I get a phone call, the entire interior of the car rings sweetly and I press a little button on the steering wheel and speak directly toward the steering wheel, where the little microphone is, and it's both amazing and cool and still more than a little weird.

So then. The steering wheel rang. The Kings fell silent. The iPod waited calmly. I pressed the answer button and heard a long-distance voice say, "Hello," and suddenly the world collapsed and time and space and distance lost almost all meaning as roughly 500 different technological marvels fell into place in the span of roughly 1.2 seconds.

It was my friend J, calling from Costa Rica. She was, at that very moment, lounging on a hammock somewhere in the tropical sunshine, deep in the jungle, curious monkeys nearby and large iguanas crawling over the railing and something resembling warm, tropical bliss in her voice, and we had a simply lovely and yet wonderfully surreal conversation, me up there racing through the frosted pinecone mountains and her swaying blissfully in her balmy lounge nearly 3,000 miles away.

Is this not astounding? Is this not as dazzling as gods on fire? Is this not something over which to pause and into which to peer and say, "Oh my God, would you look, just look at what we have wrought?" As the saying goes, sometimes you just gotta stop and smell the tech evolution.

Perhaps you are not all that impressed. Perhaps I am not making myself clear: My friend was in the jungle, in Costa Rica, speaking into a tiny hunk of cellular plastic the size of a pack of gum. I was in a car speeding through the cold California mountains, nothing around me but pine trees and pavement, speaking into the steering wheel. There were no wires. There were no horses with saddlebags full of scrawled letters. There was no carrier pigeon nor transcontinental transport ship nor weary royal messenger exhausted from the three-week trudge through the desert. There was only this irrefutable sense of effortless, everyday magic.

And therein lies the kicker: It was all so normal, so automatic and obvious and casual, you'd think it was always like this, that what we were experiencing wasn't the result of roughly 50,000 years of intellectual evolution and $8 gazillion dollars' worth of tech innovation combined with stratospheric leaps of human ingenuity and greed and capitalism and our never-ending need to keep ourselves connected no matter what.

Kicker No. 2: As we spoke, as our voices traversed the planet and bounced around the galaxy, somehow our bodies did not immediately dissolve and evaporate into the divine ether, somehow, multifaceted bilateral planes of reality did not collapse inward and blast us back into stardust despite how we're so effortlessly manipulating time and space these days. Amazing, if you think about it.

Here's my question, to which we all already know the answer: Are we sufficiently awed by our own technology? Are we adequately amazed on a day-to-day basis by what we have accomplished and with what sort of easy surreal craziness the world has been compressed and codified and reshuffled? Verily, we are not.

And, of course, you can utter this same sentiment about just about anything: nature, God, deep space, the ocean, Cate Blanchett's astonishing porcelain skin. I know. By and large, humans are not nearly sufficiently awed by the world around them, and if we were, well, we'd never actually have time to live our lives because of all the standing around with our mouths agape in a perpetual state of wow.

Of course, the cool thing is not to be the slightest bit fazed by any of it. This is the mark of the hip and the jaded and the technologically cynical, the young geeks and hot MySpacers and rabid BlackBerry addicts who see this insane wonderful world of communicative magic as so obvious and preemptively lame that they get to mock it even as they use it because, hey, it's just technology. It's, like, supposed to be our servant. This is one option.

Or, perhaps, you take the opposite extreme and see rapid tech advancement as something so dazzling and powerful that you believe -- as many supergeek intellectuals, philosophers and scientists do -- that our species is on the brink of an "event horizon" known as the singularity, that moment when the cognitive power of our technology outpaces our meek little brains and artificial intelligence overtakes human reckoning and we all either take a giant leap forward into glorious bitchin' sci-fi utopia, or the whole world collapses into smoking chaotic gizmo hell. Or, you know, both.

You may, as usual, choose your poison. Me, I prefer to try and reside in those moments like the one described above, where the tech world presents itself as friendly and clear and even a mite beautiful, where all the waste and greed inherent in all those support systems fall away, and you're able, just for a moment, to taste something resembling true wonder.

It's that moment when your known reality snaps its boundaries like an evolutionary bra strap as time and space backflip and somersault and tongue kiss in the clouds, and you get that fleeting tickle to the spiritual id that all might not be lost after all. It can be, well, sort of nice. Powerful, even. Right until, of course, you hang up.
    I can't remember the passkey I chose with my old phone. Does anyone know how to reset the passkey? Is it something I can do and how? Is it something the dealer can do? Thanks.
    I believe that depending on your cell phone, the car will give you a passcode (1234?) during the pairing process.
    No, I must have changed my passkey . I wish I knew how to reset it. I have been up for two days trying every combination of numbers I know that I might have used.
  • pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Anyone try to pair one of the new Verizon phones?

I'm looking at the Pearl and wondering if anyone got it working?

My girlfriend was in a 335 and told me she got her Q' working and my friend got his RAZR working. I'm planning on buying a new phone and don't like the Voyager as it's so big as I like small phones.

I also have a Cingular phone (Samsung Blackjack) unlocked running T-mobile. I wonder if it will work. Last time I was at the dealer the damn phone wouldn't turn on its bluetooth! I use this for work so I would like it to work as well.
  • hopefallhopefall Member Posts: 12
    I'm taking delivery of my 328i next week. I skipped the Premium, as I prefer the 'ette seats for durability. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with adding an aftermarket bluetooth set-up. The steering wheel controls are already in place.

Thanks!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If you're getting a new 328, it's prewired for BMW bluetooth. You just have to buy the module, microphone and bracket, get it installed, then take the car to the BMW dealership so the it can be "activated/enabled."

It's still expensive. It will probably be at least $800 total for all parts and shipping and the dealer may or may not activate it for free. It's cheaper than the premium package, but since you were factory ordering, you could have ordered the bluetooth/BMW Assist package for $750. The bluetooth kit below doesn't include BMW Assist.

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw-3-series-20062008-e90-index-36.html

The car is also prewired for BMW Assist, but then you will need to add a few hundred more in parts and more labor to install.

Or for about $100 you could get this:

http://supertooth.net/HelpService/interactive_voice_demo.html
    Okay everyone, the black jack will load the address book. Not sure if it's because it's a smartphone? The bluetooth works, but not as cool as with some other phones as no address book. Still need to buy a new phone that works with Verizon! So at least my non-business phone will work in my car.
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    Just got my 08 335i convertible--

I use verizon service and it appears I cannot have a smartphone that pairs with the 335 and gets my slingbox (remote cable TV thru internet).

anybody pair a Mot Q9m -a smartphone that does get internet in a 335?

Or, has anybody paired a Blackberry smartphone thru Verizon

TIA
    Oops. I meant that my Blackjack would not load the address book.

Also I'm thinking about a new smartphone that works. Want the blackberry but it's not on the list. So need to find someone with one so I can see if it works. Otherwise it's back to another razr that I know does work.
  • silverbullet12silverbullet12 Member Posts: 6
    There is a website wireless4bmw.com that lists the compatible phones for BMW. Also, please be aware that the new Razor from AT&T has some software issues. It will pair and work until you shut the car off and then it will pick up and drop the pairing constantly or wont automatically pair at all.
    Thanks!

Has anyone used a smart phone and gotten their "outlook" addresses to sync up? Or just their phone addresses?

Also, I see on my razr with sw 1.0F.03 I don't get all my contacts. Might be that I have too many and might be over the limit of allowable for the addresss book. I need to check that one out.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I have. I have the Samsung ACE and it's NOT on the list of compatible phones, but I paired it up and dumped all of my Outlook Contacts successfully - works great.
    Z
    Also, please be aware that the new Razor from AT&T has some software issues. It will pair and work until you shut the car off and then it will pick up and drop the pairing constantly or wont automatically pair at all.

Not so at all in my experience.
This discussion has been closed.