Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Climate Control Problems

2»

Comments

• marqevansmarqevans Member Posts: 29
    It is 7degrees out and the heat is barely working. I have the blower on maximum and I can hear it roaring but very little air is coming out of the floor or the top vents. Air only comes out of the lower vents in back. In addition I noticed that the temperature guage stays on "C" and does not rise half way to " H" like it normaly does. Are the problems related?
  • greenparkjetgreenparkjet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 windstar, there is a white control directly behind the ash tray screwed to the duct has a wire plug in it andf a shaft going in the duct,it has a flapping noise. what is this item called and do it need replacing. thanks for any help
  • rwarrinerrwarriner Member Posts: 3
    what is the name/part number of the electric switch that changes the vent to allow heat to the front. It is a white plastic unit that has plastic gears inside. mine are worn off and no longer turns the shaft that extends in the vent system. Is located directly behind the hvac slide switches. May be an actuator of some kind. Need to order a new one. putting sae # in part search comes up "nothing found".
    TIA
    Ray
  • joschaejoschae Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the solution to this problem? I have a 2002 Ford Windstar that has the exact same issue and it's super annoying on hot days!!!
  • plesliepleslie Member Posts: 2
    Yes. There is a small motor located behind and below the radio area that directs the air to the various ducts (defrost, vents etc). Look around the edmonds forums and you will find answers on the issue. Basically one of the plastic gears was stripped. I bought the part at my local auto parts store for around 40 bucks. It is a [non-permissible content removed] to get at (I had to get my skinny 14 year old to get at some of the screws but is not hard to replace other than that. Good luck
  • sellersissellersis Member Posts: 1
    :):) Post #54 by slion75 was dead on! I knocked a small hole in the plastic housing and lifted the door up manually. Immediately had heat. Covered hole with duct tape. The only problem it didnt fix was a slight knocking sound caused by the temp control that causes the door to flap up and down slightly. I did learn however if you back the temp down just a tad that the knocking sound goes away. But atleast we have heat!!!!!

Great, free fix! Thanks a million!
  • my_ford1my_ford1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you help me with the name of the part, it's location, and how to replacei it please.

On my 2003 Windstar SEL while using the A/C MAX or VENT setting to blow out the front vents in the dash, it stops as soon as I start to go up hill.
    It will begin to blowing out the windshield defroster vent, or the floor vent (stays the temp I set it to, I fixed that problem already in December) until I tap on the brakes while doing 75 MPH, or start going down hill, is when it will only begin to blow out the proper front dash vent (what I have it set to).

What, Where, and How do I fix yet another problem with this van. "89000 miles and 3 warranty transmissions later" CAN YOU HELP? :confuse:
    My vent problem was with a unit mounted under the dash behind a black plastic cowling. The unit is white and removes easily. My local ford dealer had one in stock, $65. Easy replacement. Hope this helps. Ours had 80k miles. Since have gotten rid of van...needed 4x4. Ray
  • rmilam1rmilam1 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    was the white part behind the radio
    it was back behind the radio but within the duct work of the hvac. I couldhear mine actuating but because the gears were worn down it would not open or close vents. Didnt have to mess with the radio to get to it. Matter of removing several screws in cowling and the unit itself. 10 minutes to take out and put in.
  • airbrat7airbrat7 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1362844,parttype,10721

It's the Blend Door Actuator. There are also youtube videos that help with replacing it, very helpful.
  • 19meo6519meo65 Member Posts: 1
    I took the box I left the rod in I turned it and it urns a door but not to make the come out of the vents ,,before posting please make sure you know what your saying is true and correct
  • windstardadwindstardad Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem where it would switch from defrost to vent to floor. Here is a short video on what to look for. I found a cracked vacuum line was my problem
  • windstardadwindstardad Member Posts: 2
  • wecomeonewecomeone Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    im new to this site and im writing from sweden.
    I own a 2000 ford windstar 3.0 . Having problems with the heat too.

But im not sure what may be the problem, I cant get no heat. or I can get a litle heat, first i thought that i had air in the system after i replaced the thermostat.

But now im not sure anymore. I have bleeded the system and I now cant see any sign of air in the system.

so now im thinking of the thing you guys talking about... blend door actuator.. ?
    but how can I know if that is broken? what are the symtoms of a broken blend door actuator?

sometimes I have a little more heat but not enough. but most of the time no heat...

any suggestions?

• lotek78lotek78 Member Posts: 1
    hello . I have the 1998 windstar and my air only blows on defrost; I know for a fact its not the door actuator; can anyone help? what else would it be?
  • tanyaetanyae Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 1995 ford Windstar and recently I started having problems with the ac. It consist of front and rear ac but something weird happen now it blows cold air from the back but the front vents blow warm air and its killing me. Can someone help me please!!!!!!!