Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Transmission Problems

Comments

• dseacedseace Member Posts: 1
    This probably isn't going to make anyone feel any better but maybe volvo will hear and heed an obvious problem. I bought a 2001 V70 XC (geartronic trans) because of the design, options, safety and reputation for getting 250K miles or many more without serious problems. It had over 90K miles which according to all the previous Volvo owners (of older vehicles) was not a problem. It tested OK but after an extended drive - several hours - I noticed a transmission possible slipping and slight vibration. Had the fluid changed by Volvo and checked and nothing was obvious. In less than 1000 miles the trans got worse and finally would barely move from a stopped position, had all kinds of shift problems and would not go into 5th gear. I have the dealer to thank for a more than fair agreement to swap the amount paid for the Volvo on any other car in his inventory. I'm going to have to know that this is a better transmission than I've been hearing about before I buy another or recommend Volvo to any of my friends. I loved the car :) but it wouldn't be much fun just sitting in my driveway in it. :sick: Do you think this is a problem with mostly the geartronic trans?
  • mkeamymkeamy Member Posts: 1
    I recently traded in my 2003 xc-70 with 51000 miles. was intermittently missing the shift from first to second and spinning up. My independent mechanic told me this was not uncommon, and that the new replacement transmissions had not been redesigned and had a variety of similar problems. I called Volvo prior to deciding to trade; a sympathetic fellow thee told me that there were no known automatic transmission problems in that era... Goodbye Volvo! Somewhere on line I saw that a volvo mechanic said that the shif solenoids become "sticky" and can be rebuilt, but that it costs about $2000 to do. I have never found anybody on any site who has had any luck with computer upgrades for these shifting problems. I hear people with xc-90's are beginning to experience similar problems. I have friends with v-70's with manua transmissions who have no problems, so maybe that's the way to go if you just have to have a volvo wagon...
  • 35divg235divg2 Member Posts: 15
    My transmission failed the day I took the car to the dealer for its 60K mile service. The dealer felt sorry for me and discounted the part and labor, so I'm out USD $3600. I'm very disappointed because I treat the car very well, drive moderately and have all the services at the dealer. The transmission should not fail at 60K miles. There are too many instances of this issue to let it go.

I'm interested in heading up a complaint group to Volvo NA and cc the AG in NJ, where Volvo NA has it office; and my AG in MO. I will establish a website, soon, and track complaints. Is there an interest in this? Any advice?

More to follow....Lee 35divg2@gmail.com
  • renewalstanrenewalstan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 XC70 and my transmission was just replaced at 102k and $4700 LATER. The transmission shop notified me that a software update was due as well for $295 from the dealer for the transmission. Now that all of that was done my XC70 runs worst than before the new trans & SW were done. I took it back to the Trans shop and drove it with the owner and he's dismayed at the whole thing. Just like the other forums mentioned between 1st & 2nd a hard shift at a cold start and then between 2nd & 3rd the rpm's race up like a miss in the shifting and then drop back down again? The trans shop says it seems like a SW issue and is concerned that it may tear up his new transmission under warranty. Has Volvo NA responded to anyone about these issues? Please let me know? And yes, I would be willing to get involved with creating a solution to fix this problem or to cause enough waves to get answers from Volvo.
  • davesn1davesn1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm very interested. I posted a few months back...

I'm planning on buying an extended warranty in the next few days and taking it in to the dealer shortly after. Same issues as everyone else - intermittent transmission issues between 1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd - exactly as described above.

Funny, I just realized someone I know from work also has an XC 70 - only 1 year newer than ours (which is 2001)... I asked her if she's had transmission problems and she said "funny you should ask - I just had it replaced under warranty 2 days ago!!!"

We just bought the car w/ 56,000 on it in October - now up to 61,000 - things come and go, but when they come they seem to be getting progressively worse. We want to solve this ASAP and it seems as if the warranty will take care of us for the next for years at least (and perhaps by then Volvo will have fessed up to some sort of across the board failure)...
  • steph5147steph5147 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased my 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T in April of 2005. Car had 32k miles on it at the time of purchase. I had Stillman Volvo in West Chester, PA give the car a complete look over before I bought it.

Still under the original warranty, less than two months later, I brought it to Stillman Volvo again to have service on vibrating when braking and transmission problems (clunking/jerking when switching gears). The fixed the vibrating problem, and said they checked the transmission problem and there was nothing wrong with it.

Invoice # VOCS131212 states: (.30) hrs - When going from reverse to drive there is a clunk, also when going from brake to gas. Technician identified neutral control activating and banging and heard axle ping. Technician checked vehicle for diagnostic codes. None stored. Performed TCM upgrade to remove neutral control. Applied adhesive to hug/axle interface (1hr)

In driving the car over the next few months, nothing changed. I still had a jerk when shifting from gear to gear. I mentioned it on my next oil change at Volvo and the service manager said it was just checked and there was nothing wrong with it. He said "It may be the way you drive, I should hold try leaving your foot on the break a little longer when switching gears."

So I believed it may be me. And let it go even though it was still a problem.

On April 3, 2006 I brought my car into Stillman Volvo again for Inspection. The other day I noticed a Recall 155 (.30 hrs) on invoice #VOCS147881 which states "This vehicle is subject to recall 155. Technician performed an ETM software upgrade to improve drivability. Recall 155 completed"

I wasn't told anything about this when I went and I wasn't charged since it was still under warranty. Being a woman, since it said it was something to improve the driveability of my car I figured it was fine. Until now, I've read the problems people have had with this upgrade and Volvo may just do it so that your car lasts long enough to outlive the warranty before it breaks and you are responsible for payment. I'm concerned now that even if I can fix this transmission that this will cause a problem and cost me more money.

On October 30, 2006 I brought my car to Stillman Volvo once again because not only was I having the transmission problem, but my engine light was on. I took it in and on invoice #VOCS159332 it states - "Check engine light is on, check codes ECM 4801/checked 02 sensor. First time fault / cleared codes and RESET CATALYTIC CONVERTOR" (.50hrs) @$49.98. When I returned to pickup the car the engine light was still on. The service guy told me they checked it and nothing is wrong. He actually showed me how to make the engine light go off by pulling/pushing on one of the buttons in the dash where the speedometer is.

On Friday, June 1, 2007 while driving down highway 291W my car failed to accelerate. I glided to pull over and tried to hit the gas. It felt like I was in neutral, so I tried reverse and nothing. My car now was not able to move at all.

After having it towed ($150) to Stillman Volvo they told me they couldn't look at it until Monday. Opening at 7am, I waited until 10am to call. No one had looked at it yet. I sent an email to the service department at 2:00pm, and at 2:25pm I received a response saying they didn't want to call me until they got proper diagnosis.

After not having a car now for 5 days Paul (service manager) called me this afternoon at 4pm to tell me it was an internal problem with the transmission and it needed to be replaced for $3,400 with a refurbished transmission.

After expressing my dissatisfaction with the outcome and how they never fixed the problem while under warranty. He disagreed and said my only option was to pay the $3,400 and have them replace it. I did tell him that under no circumstances should I have to pay #1 for a refurbished transmission at a rate of $3,400 #2 due to the fact they never fixed the problem when originally brought to their attention.

I have read up on Volvo transmission problems all night now and I wish I would have done so before purchase. How is Volvo not being held responsible for endangering people on the road by installing faulty transmissions and trying to cover it up with petty upgrades to prolong the use until warranties expire? The majority of these vehicles with the same problem as mine are only several years old with between 35k-60k miles on them? For a $30-$50k car that projects itself as such a high end, reliable, safe car don't you think that is stretching it?
  • tater70tater70 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like we all have the same problems. We should take action. Anyone know a good lawyer?
  • ainsworth1ainsworth1 Member Posts: 2
    We bought the 2001 XC70 in January. It had 60K miles on it and was in fantastic shape. Immediately after purchase, slippage began. After reading this forum I am blown away that Volvo has not upgraded a "computer" issue. Honestly, unless it is an actual mechanical thing, if it were a software issue, it wouldn't take anything for them to update the software until it works correctly!
  • alastairsalastairs Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I bought my 2001 XC70 Last year with 75,000KM and drove it to PV, Mexico from Whistler, BC, Canada. One part of the journey I drove it for 27 hours straight doing 2,600KMs it was wonderful. I was getting over 700kms to a tank on regular fuel drving between 80-130kph on the high way. I thought the car was a dream, wonderful and I was very happy with all aspects of it. Even the AC seemed to keep up when it was 44C outside!
    After doing 12,000kms, I was home and things started to go wrong. The transmission did everything everyone else is reporting here. I had all the upgrades to the software and changed the tranny fluid. It is terrible, my local dealers shop foreman said these cars have a problem with the solenoids and if I wanted to change the tranny it would be close to $7,000 with taxes. Well I chose just to keep on driving it and so far I am at 107K and it is still sliding and slipping but because its tiptronic I use the shifter to lock it in gear at certain times. One of these days it is going to self destruct and then I am hooped. This car also has the drivers door lock stop locking and instead pops up again when trying to lock.
    The trunk lock decided to lock itself while I was traveling and not unlock. I had to crawl in the back door remove all the luggage, take out the rear panel and pull the plug out to stop it from locking. The drivers window goes up automatically and then starts to go down again when it reaches two inches from the top unless I hit the button twice.
    The power sunroof sometimes stays open and even though I pull the fuses and check it makes no difference. Then suddenly it seems to work again.
    The power steering fluid started to foam up and sometimes when it gets hot it just wines. Most of the time it is fine.
    The power breaks for some strange reason on occasion start to make a hissing noise like a loss of vacuum and then that problem goes away.
    The stereo periodically makes a clicking noise like the tape is switching from side A to B and back again, even if there is no tape in it.
    The head lights have burnt out like they are free. The dealer has been good to replace them for free.
    This is my forth Volvo in a row, I am so disappointed that I will never buy another Volvo and I have sworn an OATH that I will never by any automobile that has been even looked at by Ford, since Ford took over Volvo they have turned to garbage. So my dreams of owning an Aston Martin, or a Jaguar XJR Supercharger have gone out of the window too as Ford owns them also.
    I love the way the car drives, it is a dream, but to spend all this money for a Lemon :lemon: and then have the prospect of spending another $10,000 in repairs, well I am going to just ride it out till it breaks.
    Now I own an advertising agency and have actually thought of putting an ad together with a lemon and my car in the middle of it. Or maybe I ought to have the car wrapped so it looks like a lemon. I wonder how long it would be before I hear from Volvo North America to solve these problems.......
    My next vehicle is going to be a Lexus as everyone I know who has one has not spent a dime on them since they bought them. :)
  • ronbo1ronbo1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello.......what is the status of your action with Volvo and Mo AG? I live in Boonville, MO and my transmission on my 01 v70 w/ 60k just went out!!! Failed shifts a couple of times then nothing but slippage. Unreal!! Can you advise of where you are now or ended up? Thanks for your assistance...........ronbo
    Ours still experiences intermittent transmission failure. I've been planning to purchase an extended warranty from Volvo to cover a transmission replacement as well as take care of any other possible unforeseen problems to come.

The car was due for a new timing belt and brakes - so we took it to our mechanic. I had told him about the transmission in the past, though he never felt it since it was intermittent. This time though he felt it. He said we needed a new transmission, but first suggested we change the transmission fluid since Volvo will want to do it anyway. He said the fluid was uber black.

After that, it drove like a dream for 1 week... then it started up again. Drove down to the dealership that day. Dropped $2,700 on an extended warranty rather than the $4000+ for the transmission replacement. We'll be taking the car in sometime in the next couple weeks to start the process of getting a new transmission. The software has been updated, the transmission fluid changed - hoping we won't have to endure too much wrangling with them - we intend to be firm so that it is taken care of immediately instead of having to deal with quick fixes and hemming and hawing you might expect.

Will try to remember to update once the work is done.
  • c_sterc_ster Member Posts: 3
    Much like everyone else on this forum - our 2001 Volvo XC70's transmission is failing. We bought the car used - drove it ~5k miles - and it started to fail. We took it to Turner Volvo (Sacramento) and they informed us that our car did not participate in the recall/software upgrade. We left the car there for a day - and the next day (and for the next several weeks) the car was back to its old self - surefooted and confidence inspiring. We were delighted! [Turner did not charge us and they were very polite/helpful... But interestingly, the woman who answered the phone in the service department interrupted me when I told her my XC70 was misbehaving, she said "I bet it is the transmission!?!"] About six weeks ago, we started noticing the transmission "bump" as it down-shifted from 2nd to 1st as we neared a stop sign. (And then it happened again a few more times). Then the slipping started - Usually between 15-20 miles an hour as we drive in traffic or travel slowly through our suburban neighborhood. The transmission fails to catch (like the clutch is depressed on a manual car) and then suddenly - the gear catches and the car jumps/bangs/feels like its been rear-ended. I am going to call Turner in the morning and I am dreading it after reading this site/forum. :cry:

I hope they treat us fairly! Any words of wisdom for us?
    I suggest we participate in a little "viral" marketing to get Volvo's attention. In your hometown, post your frustrations in the "Rant & Rave" section of www.craigslist.com (do it for a few weeks in a row). Maybe we can get Ford/Volvo to feel the neg publicity pain and their conscience will get the better of them and they will take accountability of this obvious design flaw. I might work...">
    Is there such a thing as a "good lawyer?" Shouldn't we instead try to find nastiest mo-fooker around?
  • dla3dla3 Member Posts: 1
    Help!
    I want to remove the center drive shaft off of my 98 v70xc.
    I have removed all the bolts from the front and the back.
    The shaft has come out of the transmission, but it will not come out of the rear, though the bolts are out.
    Has anyone removed one of those shaft to drive the car as a front wheel drive only?
    Thank you for any help you provide.
    D :surprise: ">
  • lwyantlwyant Member Posts: 3
    Hi-

I've been reading these posts, and they describe exactly what's happening with my 2001 XC70- the slipping between 1st and 2nd gears,especially in stop and go traffic, loud clunking that feels like you're getting rearended, the terrible, terrible service from the dealership (in my case, Pacific Coast Volvo) who tells you that nothing's wrong and to just "watch it" and that they can put a new transmission in for $4000. With the truly sucky service I've gotten, I sure don't want to put this kind of money into a car that will continue to have the same transmission problem, according to previous posts from people who've tried this.

Has anyone talked more about a class action suit? This is truly absurd that we're all having the same exact issue, but no one's taking care of it. Based on the failing transmission and the clueless service people, unless Volvo replaced my transmission for free I will never buy another of their cars. Any ideas, or are we all just stuck with this?
    hi-

sadly, no success story here. i had the same software updates, and they didn't help at all for my 2001 xc70.
    hi again-

i just called volvo north america to register a complaint about this same transmission issue and poor service from dealers. if we all call, maybe we can at least get the ball rolling on them investigating a recall on these transmissions. clearly this is a manufacturer's defect, and after reading all of these posts, i think we need to hold volvo accountable for this problem.
  • ossidrub965ossidrub965 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem and I was told that I need a new transmission. I had the software upgrade and then the car was worse. I called Volvo NA and the woman just kept repeating mechanically take it back and have them ride in the car with you. Then she finally just hung up on me. I told the manager at Start Motor Cars in Houston that it was not right that the transmission would just go out a such low mileage. His response was to put it back on the computer to see what codes were showing. I did not want to pay for that since I had already paid him for the upgrade and had had it put on the computer at my mechanic Volvos Only in Houston. They are no new codes for this problem. I told the Start Motors manager that I can't believe that they are not doing anything. I told him that I think that I would like to start a class-action suit on this problem.
    my car has only 79,000 miles and I am not going to replace the transmission on my dollar and it seems that the people who have have had not luck with that solution. My friend has a 2003 and she thinks that it is starting to happen to her vehicle. I am calling Volvo NA registering a complaint.
    Something has to be done and it seems that no one cares. Let all band together and start a movement/....
    I spoke with Volvo NA customer service and registered a complaint. According to the rep if there are enough complaints they might start an investigation. So EVERYONE WITH ISSUES SHOULD CALL 1-800-458-1552 AND FORMALLY REGISTER A COMPLAINT
  • 35divg235divg2 Member Posts: 15
    I apologize to everyone for not being in touch on this issue. My unit was called up for military service shortly after I started this thread. I'm enroute to Kosovo as a peacekeeper, but found time this week to catch up.

I prepared a personal letter to Volvo about my issue and will cc the MO Atty Gen. This was on advice from Army lawyers, who will assist mobilized personnel with consumer issues. It is the subtle approach. I will let everyone know the response. I encourage everyone to flood Volvo with written complaints with a cc to your respective AG's. Also, include copies of this forum to show how widespread this issue is.

Send complaints to:

Ms. Anne Belec
    President and CEO
    Volvo Cars of North America
    1 Premier Place
    Irvine CA 92618

RE: 2001 Volvo V70 T5 VIN XXXXXXXXXX

Dear Ms. Belec:

Take care

Lee
  • campbedcampbed Member Posts: 2
    We have just bought a 2001 V70 2.4 ASR, 71,000 kms on it, all maintenance is up to date, kilometerage has been verified, car is in excellent condition (so far!) and our independent Volvo mechanic has pronounced it to be in excellent condition. I have looked with horror at all the transmission problems that people have been having (of course- after the fact of buying- not enough research on my part).
    I note that almost all of the transmission problems have been on either the XC70 or V70 2.5T models. Has anybody had any (or many) transmission problems with the V70 2.4?
  • garyreedgaryreed Member Posts: 1
    I live in Australia and purchased a new XC70 2.5T in 2001. After 3 years and 50,000 on-road miles, the transmission started shifting badly. After strong negotation, Volvo agreed to do the work at its cost and decided to replace the valve body at rather than the transmission. After another 3 years and 50,000 on-road miles, the transmission started shifting hesitantly then slamming into gear. This time the transmission had to be replaced... at my cost. Over the 6 years I have also replaced engine mounts, the rear sway bars, both front (McPherson) struts at a total cost of ~US$20,000. Also the brake booster is faulty so add another ~US$500 to the next service.

My accountant bought the same year and model. He has just installed his third radiator and his service bill for the past 12 months was ~US$5,000.

Volvo promotes to the market that it builds vehicles to above industry standards. Customers purchase Volvo's cars with its assurances of superior quality. However when we present serious failures such as these, Volvo's behaviour demonstrates a lack of commitment to its promise, and brings into question the honesty of its advertising.
  • milo13milo13 Member Posts: 4
    Take to dealer and get new software down loaded thats your problem
  • dixon1edixon1e Member Posts: 6
    I have been reading this forum for a year and I have experienced the same transmission problems, AND the same service routing BS from Volvo. Here is what really bothers me. How can it be that Volvo service centers are not fully aware of the problem in transmissions? Yet they charge us full dollars to fix what is clearly a design flaw.

Bad news Ford, because this qualifies for the lemon laws, since we can all document the same flaw.

Or even better, look at the class action lawsuits being served on the technology industry for simple things like "scratched glass on an iPod". Yes, I firmly believe a class action is the way to go. Since Ford have decided to take a great brand and drive it into the ground, they should be held to public account.

I am ready to sign on to the class action. I will even take the step of seeking out information on such firms and can follow up with a posting here.
  • dixon1edixon1e Member Posts: 6
    The software update does not solve the problem. I, and many others, are now posting that legal action is necessary against Ford. I have no doubt now that this is unfortunately necessary. They are clearly aware of the problem, they are clearly aware of how much service money they make on a clearly faulty part. This is worse than buying Microsoft Windows and being forced to pay for the updates. Well, almost worse.

Legal action. Time to write the letter to your state Attorney General. Point this person to this forum for review.
  • discostewdiscostew Member Posts: 29
    Please make sure that MY2000 V70Rs are included in this list for any law suit as I believe they are the first model to have the Asin Warner auto 5 speeds. Only 500 came into the country, so they are very rare. I own one and had the same catastrophic tranny failure at 100k. Even after having the dealer do a tranny service at 70k. I contacted Volvo and they offered me $1000 bucks off a new Volvo after I spent $3k to have a new tranny put in my car.

I'm in!
  • vengeanceisvengeanceis Member Posts: 9
    hi,
    nope, no success story from me either

i just thought, i'd post an update for my case, since it's been a year since i joined this forum. :)

2001 XC70, purchased in 2005 at 82Kmiles
    mileage now (2007): 110Kmiles

BAD stuff:
    transmission problem: rough downshifts between 3rd and 2nd gear, with loud metallic clunking. most noticeable in stop-n-go traffic when you accelerate to say 20mph and drop the pedal.
    transmission problem began: at 92K, 1 year ago (car was 4 y.o.)

GOOD stuff (ha-ha ha):
    it still drives same way as a year ago when the problem just began :) (honestly, i expected the tranny break into pieces pretty soon, but it's been almost 20k since then and there is no improvement, although it's not progressing either)
    this problem with rough shifts is very annoying.
    but otherwise the car is perfect (surprise!)

things i've tried:
    i've taken it to 3 Volvo dealers total. all of them scratch their head, and pretend like they see this first time in their life.
    software upgrade - doesn't help
    tranny maintenance (like fluid flush, etc.) - my advice: don't bother, this will not solve the problem. it's better not to touch tranny at all, it's not a serviceable part

so if you got this kind of problem: just relax. you bought a crappy car called Volvo XC70, live with it (i heard though that on XC90 this problem is even worse, because the torque is greater).
    no Volvo dealer is going to help you. beware of their attitude, they are not going to be helpful or friendly about this problem with you.

basically, you've got 2 options: 1) replace tranny for $5k, or 2) drive it until it dies.

there is a 3rd option though: 3) sue Volvo/Ford and make them buy us new cars.
    I've posted before - 2001 XC70 bought in 06' w/ 56,000 miles. Transmission issues began by 57,500.

Bought an extended warranty after the fact (3 years for $2,700) and got the transmission replaced last month.

Car is in great shape otherwise - only has 63,000 miles, but now the issue is knowing the transmission is likely to fail again... after the warranty expires of course.

Though it sure would be interesting if the tranny wore out again before then.
  • jroyalljroyall Member Posts: 7
    what a bunch of crap! i bought a volvo (xc 70 2002) for their reputation of quality just like most people. now at 76k i need a new tranny...$3500-$4000 Can't rebuild them?? no replacement parts?? WHY NOT? at least we are not alone. anyone else have the same problem w/ a 2002 xc70? the first sign was...i felt a rumble as if i was going over rumble strips. a few days later on the way to the Denver air port to fly to DE to get married a service light came on (transmission service urgent) :mad: . next the car became slugish and wouldnt shift in to 5th. all shifting became a struggle. great!!! the last thing i needed was added stress to the whole wedding thing!!! does any one think that after the new tranny is put in that it will just happen all over again in 50k or 70k?? should i try to sell my car or trade it in before it happens again? I dont want some else to go through the same crap, however i cant deal with it happening agian either. any one else having simalar thoughts??
    are 2001 and 2002 xc70 trannys always the same?
  • dendenverdendenver Member Posts: 2
    Seems like I have the same problem alot of you have. My transmission finally went out at 71,000 miles. I took my 2001 V70 AWD Wagon in for service 2 previous times and was told both times that a transmission problem COULD NOT be detected, but now the car is undriveable and they are forced to admit that a new transmission is needed. Was told that Volvo North America would not help with the $4,000 dollars in repairs needed. I have written a letter to Volvo customer service and the CEO Anne Belec and I also logged a complaint with the
    NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. - ODI - Office of Defects Investigation - I haven't heard back from anyone yet, but hopefully with enough people complaining Volvo will be forced to acknowledge that a problem exists. This is not only a defect but a safety issue my transmission went out and I was lurching down the road with cars going 55+mph trying to pass by me and my "reliable & safe" Volvo.
  • dendenverdendenver Member Posts: 2
    I just had my transmission fail with my 2 small children in the car - other cars going 55+ were trying to pass by us as we lurched to the side of the road. Volvo would not acknowledge my 2 previous complaints that I had a transmission problem, slipping, lurching etc. now Volvo is forced to acknowledge problem. I was told Volvo N.A. would not help with $4000 repair cost. I have written a letter to Volvo Customer Service, The CEO Anne Belec, and the NHTSA - ODI Office of Defects Investigation, but I have not heard back from anyone.
    How did you get Volvo to help pay for your repairs ??

Has anyone gone to the media with these stories, this is a defect in the vehicle which is jeopardizing the safety of the driver and passengers ???
    I replaced my tranny in May and now three tranny's later I'm still trying to get rid of mine. You better do it before the miles get too high, mine is 111k, I can't get anything on a trade in value near book value. I also can't sell it with a conscience until it is totally fixed. Good luck, that's my story.
    what else can i do to help on the way to class action?
  • jim1422jim1422 Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that removing the drive shaft to reduce
    the grinding noise . This does not fix the trans problem
    but should let it function as front wheel drive full time.
    Has any one done this and what results did you have .
    It also has slippage problems and rough shifting 140K.
  • miguel0306miguel0306 Member Posts: 1
    Having Transmission problems, transmission service light came on, and car will not move forward. Probably going to have to install new tranny.
  • alexeyalexey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 V70 T5 automatic 104Kmiles. 3rd gear stopped working today. Whenever it's time to shift to 3rd gear the engine revs up but the car doesn't accelerate. If you shift manually, 1-2-4-5 gear work. You just have to shift through 3rd. Any idea what can cause this? Do I need a new transmission all together or is there an easier less expensive fix?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    And I plan on changing the oil in my transmission. I haven't had any problems and don't plan on having any down the road.

The transmission is a mechanical device. Transmissions don't just become defective after 90K+ miles.

Friction and heat is what kills gearboxes, and the non-synthetic oil that comes in these transmissions doesn't last forever.

If you don't change your oil, your gearbox will eventually self-destruct.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I bought a used 2000 V70 auto with low 57,000 mileage in April from an acquaintance – as a second more comfortable alternative to my Subaru Outback.
    Just got in a few minutes ago after being driven 3 miles in a flatbed.
    I tried to accelerate to keep up with another car.
    Volvo didn't like it and I could feel the transmission self-destructing under me. No more Drive or Reverse,
    Well now it's in front of my house AND there is NO WAY in hell I'm gonna pay several thousand dollars for a new tranny.
    I will ask the tranny guy who would replace my families transmissions what he thinks.

This has made me reconsider buying a new Volvo in the future. Only 60,000 miles!!!

I just noticed that there is an ad for a new Volvo C30 in the sidebar. That's pretty funny how it would pop up here.
    Damn spyware.
    I have been talking to my mechanic about this problem and he just says I need a new transmission. This is after he told me that I needed an upgrade in software when the check engine lite came on. I did that and of course the problem just got worse. I went back to the dealership that did the upgrade and they just say you need a new transmission. I told the guy that there might be something wrong with the software and he argued that it was my transmission. Anyway,
    I said that I was going to contact the owner of the dealership about this and now they are on the lookout for me. I have continued to drive the car with the lurching and bucking and also the limp mode. The transmission light came on again and also the check engine light and they my mechanic put it on the computer and the ETC/ECM codes are finally missing and these are on a recall and underwarranty for ten years. I am taking the car in for service this week but I don't trust them and think that I am going to get the dealership saying that I need a transmission because it is such a good money maker. Why replace the transmission with the same thing that is for sure going to fail again and again. Volvo cars is in denial and until there is a class=action suit nothing will be done. Oh by the way my mechanic supposedly told the dealership when they called him that I needed a new transmission and that is after he told me that he has had quite a few people come back from the upgrade with the car bucking and slamming and going into the limp mode. Funny he forgot about all of this when the dealership called him for info.
  • tmaustmaus Member Posts: 2
    First new car I purchased, most expensive car I ever purchased, and the most disappointing car I have ever owned. I have 89K and have the same transimission problems everyone else has. At this point, doesen't sound from this forum there is a viable "fix" for it. What are you people doing with them? using them for a toxic bonfire or target practice? I need to go get a new car but pretty hard to trade in a car that barely manages to drive. Is there some wholesaler that buys them?
    Fix it, ,trade it!. I droped $3500 on a new tranny and it only had a year warenty. On the way to test drive a Subaru i heard a " siren like death noise" from under the car... decesion made, suck it up and trade it in before i get even more pissed off!!! I just bought a band new Subaru Outback 2.5XT fully loaded. All the features of a XC70 and way more fun to drive...also more ground clearance! Good luck.
  • tmaustmaus Member Posts: 2
    how much did they offer you on the trade?
    blue book was 12.5 k, they gave me 11.5 k after some heckeling...i also purchased the 100k mile warenty that covers almost anything and everything . i hade 80k miles on it - 2002xc70. Good luck!
    They offered me $8500 for the car. :sick:
    My car was in perfect working order when the offered me 11.5k. I fixed the tranny, cost me $3500. If your car isnt fixed and they offered you 8.5 go for it, because it will cost them 2500 just for the tranny its self (you cant fix a volvo tanny you must have the whole thing replaced!)not counting 1000 in labor, thus they are actually giving you 12k???
  • bmchughbmchugh Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchaced a 2001 v70xc with, guess what...a transmission problem. Cold it shifts fine but after 30 or so minutes of driving it will start shifting hard and hesitating between 2nd and 3rd and then bang into gear. All softwear upgrades have been done. I have been told by three independent Volvo shops that it is something internal and will have to be replaced. One shop offered to rebuild but couldn't give an accurate quote until he had taken the old one apart. My question to him was, if all the complaints about these transmissions are so similar,why has no dealer/shop figured out what the faulty part/s is and come up with a repair rather than tossing the whole unit. Anybody out there know the weak link?
  • specespece Member Posts: 11
    I've had my used Volvo about 5 months. It has always been slow to engage in 1st or reverse. Now it is slipping between gears. Its most noticeable between 1st and 2nd. Engine revs before 2nd engages. It also has some disturbing down shifts, where after a harder application of the brakes, it will rev before clunking into gear. The dealer says to drive it until it slips when you start from a dead stop. Not very Volvo like advice. I suspect they know this is a problem unit. Whoever suggested legal action, has my vote, but I have no idea where to start.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    What year is your Volvo? What model? How many miles? How long since the last transmission service?