Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I have full hard doors on my 02 TJ. I have been considering getting full (or maybe just half) soft doors. I like the idea of doorless, but it is a pain to get the hard doors back on if it rains. Plus, my fiancee doesn't like the idea of no doors on the highway.

Has anyone used soft doors? Thoughts, comments, opinions......
  • Options
    tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I don't post much but I thought I would give an update on what changes have occurred with "Goldzilla." After much shopping and pricing I made the plunge and put in Yukon 4.56 gears. They seem like the perfect ratio for the 4 speed auto. Before the gears I could not pull any grade in OD, so I had to disable OD. Doing that, the revs were too high because I now was only using 3 of my 4 gears. That worked for a while but I wanted a more permanent solution. I got some wild prices when shopping but I found a recommendation for a shop on a local jeep board. They did the install, with a new carrier only needed in the rear, for a little over $900. I did not go with a locker but only had then reinstall my factory limited slip. I really don't go off road at this point and if I ever do I think I will be fine without a locker. Before the new gears my speedo was off about 8% to the low side and now after the gears it was off 12% to the high side. When I was going 70 mph it showed I was going much faster. I ordered a new speedo gear at the local Jeep garage (about $20). I got a 39 tooth gear which the charts said I would need. Everyone said this is a very simple mod so I attempted it myself. No problem! 15 minutes later and my speedo is reading perfect as verified by my GPS. So, if anyone decides to go with 4.56 gears and they have 33" tires get a 39 tooth speedo gear and all will be fine. Hey tsjay, wish Ross Allen a belated birthday.
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Got the Jeep out of the shop today and everything seems to be alright.

The service guy who drove it home last night could not believe how well it rode and handled. I tried to talk him into going swb, but he has a GC that he seems to like.

Time for my yearly wash and wax. The service guy thought my Jeep was black instead of sienna until he got inside and saw the paint. Kind of dirty, but it is dry and dusty down here.

Picked the Jeep up a year ago today and the mileage is 6850. With the 31 inch tires the odometer is off so I figure over 7000 real miles.
    Didn't want to put that many miles on a year, but it just happened.

Still a happy camper.
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Tluke:

Tom, it was good to hear from you. Hope you're gonna post more often, and maybe even come back to Gill's for a little chatting?

Toady:

Happy Anniversary! Glad you got the Jeep back for the anniversary. Hope everything is OK now.

Yeah, 7000 miles a year on a vechicle is terrible! Geez, you're gonna wear it out in twenty or thirty years that way!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Any help out there on a visor organizer/thingamajiggy. Most I have seen are too big for the smaller Wrangler visors?

Thanks,

David
  • Options
    Sorry, Pal, but I haven't seen anything like what you are looking for. If I do, I will pass it on.

Tom

• Options
    shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I use the little cubby between the front seats. It's not convenient for finding little things, but I never expected, nor wanted, convenience when I bought my TJ. :)

Let us know if you do find anything (checked JC Whitney?). I'd love to have something to hide those darned orange and yellow stickers that they slapped all over my visors.
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I keep the console between the seats locked, which makes it inconvenient to access when the Wrangler is running.

Checked JCWhitney, ACME, Performance and a few others. Nothing turned up.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This comes up in other topics, like Badge/emblem removal techniques. Seems like most of them are silkscreened these days, and the only easy way to get rid of them is to cover them up with new fabric.

You may want to try the consumer section of sema.org for supplies of sunglasses holders and the like for your visor.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    another option on the Wrangler is to swap them. The stickers are still there but you only see them when the visors are down (which isn't very helpful often given their small size and usefulness).

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/cosmetic.htm#visors

-twylie
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Unless you use a Tuffy steel security insert, locking the console will only ensure more damage if your Jeep does get broken into. The glove box and console lid are easily forced with a screwdriver and expensive to replace.

The best plan is not to leave anything in the Jeep that you can't afford to lose and to leave the glove box and console lid open, so that the lack of valuables is apparent.
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Mac24,

Have you heard anything about any break-in to the factory lockable storage? I have also seen steel lockable storage units but wonder if they will make a lot of noise compared to the factory plastic lockable storage.

Jim
  • Options
    I know of two people that have had the factory center console and glove box broken into, and I've read of many others on various forums.

I have a Clarion sub in my center console, which leaves no storage room there. However, I'm seriously thinking of getting the replacement glove box.

I've only heard of noise being a problem with the overhead drop-down c/b console.

To me, Tuffy products seem to be well made, strong, but a little expensive. Check them out here:
    www.tuffyproducts.com
  • Options
    Got my hi lift jack mounted tonight. Used a couple 2" conduit "mini clamps" mounted to the veritcal portion of the roll bars at the back of the cargo area. This has the jack out of the way and well secured. It will also be out of the weather when the top is on in the winter.

Tom

• Options
    There is a trailride in Elijay on Sat 5/3 if you're interested in joining us. Nothing too tough; your Jeep would do fine. If you're interested email me and let me know or you can just show up at the WalMart in Elijay around 10:30. One of the guys is coming from Lagrange, so we're getting a bit of a late start. Small group, maybe 5 of us total. All good guys. It will be a fun day.

-twylie
  • Options
    jon67cj5jon67cj5 Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed some great members' posts here. I'm seeing a lot of people calling their Jeep a "she". "She" runs like a top; "she's" a beauty and so on. Whatz up with that? Well, to each his own but I'm here to tell ya, my Jeep Wrangler is a "HE".

"He's" too rugged and butch to be called anything else, just like "his" owner. He's a fire engine red 95'er and he runs like a rocket! Ordered it new from the factory, then fully chromed it out. Came with hard top, got a soft top on eBay. I wouldn't part with this truck for anything. I will always own my blazin' red buddy. He's lasted longer than most relationships. After 82,000 miles, I've done everything with this truck; ate in it, slept in it, hauled my diving gear, towed with it and a thing or two I can't mention here.

I guarantee you, it will still be on the road when it has one million miles on it and it will look as new as it did when it rolled out of the factory. My 67 CJ5 is kinda jealous, but "he" also gets my attention...LOL!

Have I hugged my Jeep lately? You better believe it; and with a kiss to top "him" off! Call your Jeep what you want, but don't call my truck a "she"!
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Great post! It had me laughing and noddin' my head in agreement. :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    jon67cj5jon67cj5 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate that you took my post in the manner it was meant. I didn't want anyone miffed about it and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. Who started that mess about a man's truck being a "she" anyhow? Might be ok for a pink Pinto, but not my Jeep. Maybe I'm a non-conformist or I just like masculine things. With all that steel, chrome, rubber and oil, don't know how my Jeep could be anything other than a "man machine". To take what I give out, it'd have to be a "he"...lol!

Have a (O|||||O) day!
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I've found a 97 Wrangler here in SoCal with 83,000 miles (my 99 Civic has 87,000). With a TJ of this age and mileage, what kinds of things should I look for to see if it would be worthwhile to purchase?

It is the base Wrangler with the 2.5l I-4 and a 5 speed. How well does this setup handle?

I have a 2000 JGC, and am wanting something that I can actually take offroad without having the wife get upset. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    Finally got around to waxing the "Wolf". I don't wax much so this is a big thing for me, LOL. Also have a pic of my license frame.

Stephen
  • Options
    Looks GOOD! Hope "he" ain't always that clean, though. Stephen, you DO take Wolf offroad, don't ya? It is psycologically damaging to a Jeep to keep it on pavement all the time.

Tom

• Options
    Jon:

Well, glad you are happy having a male Jeep, but I am totally happy that I have a girl Jeep. :)

Thelma Jane is my pride and joy, and don't think she ain't rugged, just cause she's a girl.

BTW, she is single, so if ya wanna bring your Jeep by here sometime....

Tom

• Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom,

I have been keeping Red Ryder on the pavement. I'm doing a little consulting job in Chicago. Have to take the Bishop Ford freeway for about 15 miles. Did it today both ways in the rain. I don't know if RR can be psycologically damaged by this, but the driver sure can.

Terry
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Maybe Johnny Cash could have a different song - maybe A Boy Named Jeep or some such! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    to venture off-road but sure will this summer! :-)

Hopelessly remodeling in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • Options
    surfer454surfer454 Member Posts: 26
    Hi -
    I'm new to this group, and I have a couple of questions:
    1) Is it possible to order a new wrangler with a soft top and then get a hard top later? Mostly, is the wiring in place for the rear wiper and defroster anyway? I talked to Jeep customer service and they couldn't answer my question.
    2) Disk vs Antilock brakes: Anyone see stopping distances posted? Advantages/disadvantages? My new Jeep will probably see more highway than dirt, just some beach driving
    3) Since I plan to do more road driving than off-road, would a Rubicon be overkill. I mean am I better off going with the 3.07 gears as opposed to 4.11? Is any that heavy duty equipment on the Rubicon less suited for highway travel.

Hope to be driving without doors and a roof soon!

Thanks,
    surfer454
  • Options
    Welcome!

I think it makes more sense to get the hard top and add the soft top later, if ya don't want to spend the bucks for the dual top option and think you will want a hard top at some point. The best deal you could ever get is the dual top option, though (to get original equipment quality, I mean). It would be cheaper to get the factory hard top with the Jeep, though, and then add a soft top later, if you don't go the dual top route.

If you are not going to offroad much, the Rubicon would be more Jeep than you need. You will be spending about 5K more than you would for a sport.

I have a Sport with a five speed and the 3.73 gears. This works out well for the street and for wheelin'.

Don't know about the stopping distance with and without disc brakes all around. From all I can gather, the four disc brake option is much better, though, than the standard set up.

Good luck in getting yourself just the right Jeep for your situation.

Tom

• Options
    1: Yes you can, but the wiring and switches aren't there. They can be added later though. However, as Tom said, the dual top option is excellent value.

2: ABS will not increase your stopping distance on a dry surface. Unless you are highly skilled in the art of cadence braking it will reduce your stopping distance in wet or slippery conditions when compared to a non ABS Jeep. What it will do in all highway conditions is allow you maximum possible braking efficiency while allowing you to steer at the same time.

3: The Rubicon is a fine vehicle that is designed to excel at one specialized form of off-roading.......rock climbing. None of its features are especially beneficial in mud, sand, or on trails. Its best features for 'all round' off-road use are the locking diffs. I can't give you any figures, but some Ruby owners are reporting disappointing on-road performance, both acceleration and fuel consumption.

There are no 'bad' Wrangler choices, but some are better suited for specific applications than others.

:-)
  • Options
    Good to hear from ya, Terry! Geez, would be nice if ya posted a little more often. :)

Hey, bring "Red" down here and we'll hit Turkey Bay sometime. If you have no real wheelin' experience, we'll stick to the easier stuff. I am barely past that stage anyway.

Wheelin' in a Jeep is the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on!

Tom

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I posted yesterday, but I think my post got lost with the great pictures. :)

I'm looking at a 97 Wranger with the 2.5 I-4 and a 5 speed manual. I plan on taking it to a mechanic for an inspection, but are there particular areas I should focus on or do additiona research to make sure this will be a good one?

The body and engine look like they are in good shape, but I am concerned about any hidden gotchas.

It doesn't have the hard top, just the soft top. Where would one go to get a hard top, other than Mopar? Are the wiring kits expensive?

-Paul
  • Options
    Nothing out of the ordinary to check, but look for off road damage underneath, and check the fluids. The transfer case uses ATF, which is red when it's fresh. Any other color might give you cause to wonder about the previous owner's maintenance schedules.

Ten minutes on Google.com will give you a bunch of the many aftermarket suppliers of hardtops and accessories.
  • Options
    shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    My jeep is a she since it gets only a little less attention than the other she's in my life (Wife, Daughter, Mother, Black Lab). I guess I'm a bit of a gentleman, so I treat her like a lady. A very tough lady, but a lady none-the-less.

BTW - I saves on the psycho-therapy if its a she; makes her easier to kiss. ;)

SHE does have the ABS and it is great, especially if you are doing any driving in traffic. I was not a believer, but after two saves (rain and ice) I am a convert. The only disadvantage that I see is heavy-duty off-roading, but you can always pull the fuse.
  • Options
    xairxair Member Posts: 13
    I hope this is not a stupid question, but if you take your stock doors off and don't have any side mirrors is that illegal to drive that way?

I am looking forward to that when my Rubicon gets here and starting wondering if I would have to add some kit to be legal. What does everyone else do just go without the side mirrors? Anyone got a ticket for it? Sorry if this is a stupid question just not sure never owned a jeep before.

Thanks,
    Xair
  • Options
    It varies from state to state, county to county. It's not common, but people certainly have got tickets.

Personally, I doubt you'd be stopped for it.......... but it's the kind of thing that gets tacked on after you've been stopped for something else!

It's fairly easy to relocate the mirrors with a pair of brackets from many of the aftermarket companies.
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    The check engine light came on about 190 miles after they "fixed" it last week. Back in the shop on Monday. Third trip in the past month to the shop.

Not so happy a camper.
  • Options
    Bummer! What in the world is going on with that Jeep? Hope they get it solved this time!

Keep us posted.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today? (Well, at least not KICKED it!)
  • Options
    tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    The Malfunction indicator light on my dash came on once, about a year ago when I got a tank of cheap gas at a truckstop. I checked the owner's manual and it said the gas cap could be loose or poor quality gas could be the cause. I was worried and thought about taking her to the dealer but the engine ran fine, so I drove till it was below empty and refilled with good quality Mid-grade Unleaded and Voila! No more light. And I checked the gas cap several times,it looked fine. No more bargain go juice for me! Tjray
  • Options
    I had a response typed out for ya, and when I was ready to submit it, my window died. :(

I was gonna tell ya just about the same thing Mac 24 did, though.

I will only add that some of those mirror mover accessories work better than others, but I don't know which ones are which. I don't have to have side mirrors, so I just do without them when Thelma Jane is topless and doorless.

You should get some opinions on the different ones before you buy.

Tom

• Options
    xairxair Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know off hand if North Carolina requires them or not? I looked at some of those kits and some do look kind of cheesy...

Thanks for the help guys..
  • Options
    I can't help you on the mirrors in NC thing, but if you do decide to add mirror movers, be careful removing the torx bolts. If you can, use a manual impact driver to "pop" them free. It may help to take an exacto knife to the paint around them first as well. When you put the mirror movers on over the hinge, use some real hex head bolts. I've made it a practive to never replace a torx bolt unless absolutely necessary. I figure eventually, I'll be rid of them! :)

I waited too long to pack for wheeling and had our power go out and set me back a couple of hours... Running down my checklist by latern was no fun.

-twylie
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks to me like you have to have them on the doors, at least on the driver's side.

19A NCAC 03D .0540 MIRRORS

1. Mirrors shall not be approved if:

(g) Vehicles manufactured, assembled, or first sold after January 1, 1966 are not equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the driver’s side.
    (h) All vehicles must have driver side outside mirror and inside rear view mirror with the exception of a truck. A truck must have both driver and passenger outside mirrors or driver side and rear inside mirror.

DMV Regulations Manual (pdf file)

Hope this helps; usual disclaimers....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    Thanks for the invite. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I did not get home from a business trip until late last night. Now Little League baseball all day (2 boys).

Sigh. Maybe some day I can come and play with you guys!

#8711 of 8738 kelleyo - Sat. by twylie May 01, 2003 (5:39 am)
    There is a trailride in Elijay on Sat 5/3 if you're interested in joining us. Nothing too tough; your Jeep would do fine. If you're interested email me and let me know or you can just show up at the WalMart in Elijay around 10:30. One of the guys is coming from Lagrange, so we're getting a bit of a late start. Small group, maybe 5 of us total. All good guys. It will be a fun day.

-twylie
  • Options
    Well, shoot! Loaded up Thelma Jane, got Ross Allen in there, gassed up the Jeep, bought my ice and snacks, and headed for Turkey Bay. Then, I turned around about 15 miles from home and came back.

Thelma Jane is topless and doorless, and it was just too darned cold driving along at 50 to 60 MPH. Have an hour and fifteen minute drive to Turkey Bay, and I didn't think I wanted to go that far under the conditions. It looked awful cloudy anyway, and I SURE didn't want to get rained on with the temperature being only in the 50's.

Guess Thelma Jane, Ross Allen, and I will just explore some of the local strip mine lands this afternoon, so there will still be some Jeepin' in the agenda today.

Tom

• Options
    If anyone is looking for ideas for how to mount their hi lift jack, check out my album at Gill's.

I saw posts in other forums where people had mounted their hi lifts horizontally between the upright posts of the roll bars back near the tailgate. I thought that seemed like a great idea, so that's how I mounted mine.

Check out my album on the subject at http://www.itsajeep.org

Just click on photo gallery at the top of the home page, and then click on "tsjay" in the blue letters. There are other ways to get to my pics once you are in the photo gallery, if you don't see those blue letters.

Tom

• Options
    Hey, it has turned out to be a PERFECT day weatherwise! Should have gone on this AM to TB.

:(

Oh well, that's the way it goes, I guess.

Tom

• Options
    Didn't mean to ignore ya, guy. WELCOME!

Keep us posted on your search for a Jeep. I don't have any words of wisdom in regards to your question, but I do wish ya good luck.

Tom

• Options
    Sorry you couldn't make it; we had a good time. I'll make sure you're invited on any future trips we make up in that area. Turned out to be a great day. Just 4 of use went out and I was the only one not lifted. I took a buddy of mine to ride shotgun and he was amazed at what Jeeps would do. With the exception of one obstacle, I made everything on one attempt. However, the one that got me, really got me. I tried the line I thought was good, but I just didn't have enough clearance. Everyone else in the group was lifted anywhere from 2-5". I earned the nickname "noisemaker" or something equally amusing. I tried 4 times to make it up a tough section and could NOT find the right line without hanging up my diff, center skid, or something else. I finally backed down and took a line about 2' to the left and was able to make it by dragging what sounded like everything under my Jeep across the rocky ledge. At one point in this section, I was off camber and uphill enough to start losing air out of my drivers rear tire at the bead. Bang, bang, clang, clang and I was up and over with only moderate drama. My buddy videotaped it from outside the Jeep, so we should have some good footage.

This trail had changed pretty dramatically since I was there last fall. Some previously tough spots were easier, but many modest stretches were far more challenging. The skid plates I've added in the last 6 months paid for themselves in a big way today. I got some good drags and kisses on every single one of them. At the end of the day, it felt pretty good to go everywhere the other "big" Jeeps went.

Others in the group:
    97 TJ - Rockcrawler long arm w/33" ATs
    98 TJ - 4" Full Traction lift w/35" BFG MT's
    00 TJ - budget boost w/31" trXus

-twylie
  • Options
    With 2 kids in Travel Baseball and the fact that I travel during the week it is very hard to get away (the wifey would kill me). Since my cabin is near your wheeling locale (my place is in Morganton on lake Blue Ridge) I need to come with you guys on a weekend where I am at the cabin alone (happens occasionally)...
    My neighborhood ALTA team stopped inviting me to be on the team since I could never play in the matches...

Some day my kids will be all grown up and then I can play again (bittersweet thought eh?)
    I appreciate the invites. Keep it up and some day the planets may line up in my favor and I will come along!
  • Options
    always been my second car. Now my lease is up on my Lincoln LS. I have decided to turn it in and drive my TJ as my primary at least through the summer. I think the best new car deals occur around Labor day each year...

What should I get as my new second car?

Recommendations welcome!