Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Rubicon? (You SAID suggestions welcome!)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • kwhitesellkwhitesell Member Posts: 2
    I am currently a college student in NC - I drive a 91 Honda Crx to keep my monthly expenses down. (ie gas insurance) I have always loved the Jeep Wrangler look especially the Sahara. I am graduating and I don't want the stereotypical SUV look and I am not a 4 door sedan type of guy - The question - how do Saharas fare in the cold climate of Pittsburgh or Detroit as I might be going to grad school in these areas.

Kevin
    Not sure what you mean by your question relating to a Sahara and cold climates, but the Jeep heaters work fine, and Jeeps are good in snow, as long as you take it easy and remember that you are in a short wheel base, high center of gravity vehicle.

Welcome to the board, Kevin.

You will love a Jeep! No other vehicle is even close to a Jeep for "fun."

Tom

P.S. Gas insurance? Man, I know the price of gas is high, but I never heard of anyone insuring their gas before! Probably a good idea at today's prices. :)
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    My soft-top Sahara keeps us plenty warm during the Winter months in Atlanta. While the Winters here are much shorter, and a lot milder than Pittsburgh or Detroit, we do have stretches of cold weather. I've never felt like my Sahara's heater was insufficient. The heater keeps us all very warm -- front seat and back.

Maybe you should consider getting a Sahara with the dual-top option, if you're nervous about the cold weather. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about cold weather or snow accumulation. I definitely wouldn't let weather concerns keep you from buying a Jeep. There are plenty of people in colder regions of the coutntry who drive Jeeps Wranglers!

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! You've earned a Sahara!

Laura
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    Why not grab a MINI. That way you can have the off-road capabilities of your Jeep and the on-road enjoyment of an excellent little car. When the weather is bad, you can park your MINI under your Jeep! ;)
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    I'd go for it! I had a Jeep all through grad school and since there was little time for the "social activities" that I had known as an undergraduate, 5 minutes in the Jeep more than made up for it!

Be sure that you can afford a new vehicle and its maintenance/insurance while in school. Maybe go with a late used model?

Good luck and congrats on getting a degree!
  • oregontj03oregontj03 Member Posts: 7
    I have a few questions about my new Wrangler. Does anyone know if bigger tires, or a suspension lift would void the warranty? I'm thinking about 33's with a 2.5 skyjacker lift. Second, does anyone have a tornado fuel saver? I've heard alot of great things about them, was just wondering how they were for jeeps.
    Thanks,
    OregonTJ03
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Where, on the infomercial? I think it's snake oil:

The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life

If they're so great, why don't they stick them on at the factory, etc.?

Steve, Host
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    First off, I don't think a 2" lift will clear 33's. You may want to consider adding spring spacers or going with the 4" lift.

Here is a pic of showing 2" lift with 1.5 spring spacers and 33x10.50's

It really depends on your dealer as to the warranty. I had a 01 sport with a 4" Skyjacker lift and 33's and I had a few warranty issues and the dealer didn't question it at all. I have a 03 sport ordered and when I was placing the order, the dealer said he wanted to see it as soon as I made some mods. Just call your dealer and ask.
    What Kevin (2001wrangler) said. You might physically get the 33s to clear with only 2.5" of lift, but you would most likely not be able to disconnect your front sway bar for wheelin without getting a rub. I assume you are gonna wheel that Jeep? If not, then you would be OK with the set up you have in mind, probably.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Do a little research on how much it costs vehicle manufacturers annually in penalties for high fuel consumption (CAFE regs, guzzler tax etc.) Consider how much it would cost said manufacturers to produce a Tornado or similar device (pennies at most). Finally, do the math.
    :-)
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Following your line of thought on CAFE and vehicle MPG, I've often wondered why more manufactureres don't offer synthetic oil from the factory for that same reason. Without fail, I've gotten anywhere from .75 to 1.5 MPG gains using synthetic fluids on every vehicle I've run Mobil1 or Redline in. Seems if you could get your CAFE even .5 MPG, the cost savings would pay for the syn fluids from the showroom. I can see where the cost might not be as significant (or even negative) on cars that have full maintenance built in to the price, since they'd have to pay for syn on all service visits, but I ran the numbers on my cars and the $ saved in improved mileage offset the higher cost of synthetic oil and that's with my paying retail price for fluids.

There must be somethign I'm missing there.

-twylie
    Jeep Buds, today is Cinco de Mayo, and that means Kevin's (2001Wrangler's) Jeep is being born today!

Yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!

Uh oh, Kev, what about that username???? Don't think that's legal to call yourself 2001wrangler when you are driving a 2003 Wrangler. IRS might think you're evading taxes or something. :)

Congrats, Kev!!!

Tom

• kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I would love a Rubi but would have to trade Pepe'. Not gonna do it (Pepe' is all paid for and I have sunk too much cash into him that I would never get back). I am gonna keep Pepe' until there is nothing but Iron Oxide.

A Mini would be cool cept I am 6'4" about 250..

My thoughts have now run the gambit from Subaru WRX SI, to used Porsche Boxter or Corvette Z06, to another lincoln LS to an Audi S4.

I like the Audi and Subaru since they both drive all 4 wheels :)
    I am gonna drive Pepe' as my main ride for a couple of months (therefore saving up a nice down payment!)and then decide.
    I don't know the answer for sure, but I would guess that it's because the numbers don't gell.

Certainly, the idea of factoring a lubricant into the fuel consumption equation is not new. Look at how the recommended viscosity numbers are getting lower and lower.

It's my guess that the cost of dino oil for the initial fill is far less than the cost of synthetic. Bulk buying does a lot to reduce the dollar cost, but it will do nothing to reduce the price differential between the two. Synthetic is just so much more expensive to produce. I'd guess that synthetic is dollars more expensive, rather than pennies, which is a lot when applied to production costs.

Just my two cents.

:-)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm not in the new/used car market but I'm always looking...;) Vehicles I've admired lately include the BMW 330i Performance Package(still too pricey for me:(), Land Rover Discovery, Liberty Renegade, Mitsu EVO, Mustang Mach 1, Nissan Murano, Subaru WRX STI, and the new hot Volvo 300 hp AWD V70 R wagon. Oh yeah, I also love that wacky Neon SRT-4. 5.5s 0-60 and under $20,000. The thing is, I still love my ti and TJ. Shoot, I can stick a chip, upgraded speakers, and ellipsoid headlights in my ti for under $1000. As for the TJ, I can fit Cibie E-Code headlamps, decent speakers/CD changer, a sailcloth top and a rear locker for less than $1500. If I buy something new I'll suffer more than $2500 in depreciation in the first couple of months. That said, if I ever hit the jackpot I'm getting the Mach 1, an M Coupe, an X5 4.6is and a Rubicon. My philosophy is that you can never have too many cars or too much horsepower...:)
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    Unless the consumer demands it or it is necessary to differntiate the vehicle, the mfg. will have no incentive to put it in. This often used to justify govt. intrusion into the marketplace (seat belts, ABS, emissions, etc.). The debate on how efficient this is is fodder for debate.
    The WRX is a blast, I can only imagine what the SI will be like! It is definately the best bang for your buck if you like curves. The best curves for the vette are in the body work, they seem more like straight away cars.

The Porsche will get you more attention than the Subie, but there is a certain thrill in blasting away unsuspecting boy racers at the light. Yeah Mr. Mustang 5.0, that is the rear of Subaru dissappearing before you!

Call me a kid, but it is pretty neat!
  • xairxair Member Posts: 13
    My Rubicon hit E status today, still on track for a 5/8/2003 ship date. Can't wait!

Xair
    You've got a good list of ideas and others suggestions. The only new car I've driven lately that impressed me was the G35 Coupe. Less refined than I expected but really well balanced and quick. For the money, it's a great combination of speed and comfort. Room might be an issue given your height. It wasn't a problem for me, but I'm only 6'1". If my wife ever decides to give up her SC400, the G Coupe is the likely replacement for now.

I would think the Boxster will feel super cramped to you unless the top is down. It's a fun car to drive though. I spent a weekend driving a friends Speed Yellow '99 around Richmond and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great fun in the fall.

When my Exploder needs to be put down, I'll proabably go with a sport sedan for my next vehicle. I'll probably look for a couple year old 540i Sport with the extended warranty and drive it until it's out of warranty. I think Bimmers are great fun to drive, but I don't want to pay the maintenance tab.

mac24 - yeah, that's the only answer. I'm sure my thought isn't original. It would be interesting to see the numbers though.

-twylie
  • kwhitesellkwhitesell Member Posts: 2
    Well for my grad gift for myself I will be purchasing the 03-04 Sahara. Any tips on transmissions (Good or bad)?

Kevin
    My dealer called me this morning at 9am and my Jeep had cleared paint and was going to the assembly line, so it should be sitting there complete right now. It is set to be go to delivery tomorrow, so I hope to have it by the end of the week since I am only 4 hours from the plant :)

Tom - Since I am not driving the 03 yet, I think this username is still OK.
    Personal preference really. Neither is bad, though the current four speed auto is relatively unproven.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    It'll be interesting hearing your impressions of your new 03' vs your 01'. I know that not a lot of changes have been made but I think the changes that have been made have been good ones.

Stephen
  • skwirl60646skwirl60646 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    New yj owner -- '95, 4.0 auto, no ac.

Owner's manual says oil pressure reading should range between 40-65. Mine starts out right at upper limit and then tends to drift downward towards 50.

Bought it last week, the ride home the needle stayed right in the middle @ 40. Took it in for a new complete exhaust system and now the oil pressure gauge readings are higher.

Any thoughts appeciated.

& thank you for this board. Been a lurker for a couple months agter getting bit by the wrangler bug. Learned plenty.
    JackJ
    Welcome! Glad you broke the ice and posted, and CONGRATS on getting that Jeep!

Factory oil pressure gauges are not known for super accuracy. If you are worried about your oil pressure, you might take it somewhere where they have an accurate gauge and let them check it for you.

Oil pressure will vary with the oil temperature. It is common to have a higher pressure reading after a cold start, until the oil warms up and its viscosity goes down. There will also be some variation in oil pressure as the engine RPMs go up or down. You will have higher pressure at higher RPMs.

You might notice a pressure change after installing a new oil filter, especially if it is a different brand. Some filters are more restrictive than others.

Not a mechanic, so someone else should jump in here and give you additional info on this.

Tom

• redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Hi all -

My 2002 TJ is showing some signs of wear. Flares are fading, paint is chipping off door handles and paint has chipped all the way off of left side of clip where the soft top sail panels drip edge grabs. Are these covered by the warranty?
  • skwirl60646skwirl60646 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the reply.

Glad to be a member of the board. 1st time jeep owner. I remember a long lost old buddy, had a jeep, said it was like a Harley w/ 4 whls. Real Americana but you have to work to keep 'em up.

This board is a real buddy too.
    JackJ
    This topic comes up about every year or so and we never resolve it. What's nice is that it is up to the driver. The five speed will give you more control over the engine and for many of us is more fun since it must be driven. However, if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic, it can be a pain for some to have to keep stirring the gears. Also, some prefer an automatic for off-roading/rock crawling (your clutch foot can get tired pretty quickly).

Good luck and congrats on graduating!
    I would think the warranty should cover those defects (especially the faded flares and the paint chipping off the door handles).

I am waiting til near the end of my warranty, and then I will try to get some new flares from DC under warranty, fully expecting the new ones to also fade in time.

I have heard of a cool trick to bring back the color on the flares. They say you can use a heat gun on the flares to get them nice and black again. Haven't tried it myself, but once I get the new flares and they have also faded, then I will give that method a try.

Tom

• redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Thanks - that is not a bad idea, waiting until the end of warranty. The only problem is that my jeep is yellow and the gray looks terrible against it. I'll just make them replace them again!
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    I've never regretted getting the 5 speed manual transmission! Just give them both a try.

Laura
    Hey, Edmunds buds, you are all welcome to email me any time, and my email addy is public in my profile.

But... PLEASE put something in the message header that lets me know who you are. I think I deleted an email from wheelsdown, because I didn't know who it was from.

Fortunately, he re-sent it and put something in the header so that I knew it was from him.

Put your edmunds username or something in the header that tips me off that it is from one of you guys.

Tom

• xairxair Member Posts: 13
    Dealer emailed me today, Ruby is in F status
    (paint) should be shipped on Thursday! The wait is killing me, just hope all is well when it gets here.

Xair
    Good to see you checking back in here. Don't be a stranger!

-twylie
    That's FANTASTIC! Man, and not long ago you were wondering if there was problem with your order, and you didn't even know if you would get your Jeep or not. I'm really happy for ya, X!

Tom

• surfer454surfer454 Member Posts: 26
    These are two features that I wanted in my new jeep. I located a sport that has everything that I want except these two. Can the dealer install these before I take delivery or are they options they have to be installed at the factory?

I found another sport that was almost correct, but it didn't have trac lock or disk brakes. That seems like too much to give up.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    I'm sure the dealer can add cruise control before you take delivery, I remember that being an option before I took delivery of mine.

Maybe I'm still half-asleep here, but what do you mean by Sentry? I've seen that term used on Buicks for their auto on/off headlights and then used by others in reference to a security system.

-Pete
    Hi Pete/all -
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the theft deterrent system. From what I read in the Wrangler documentation, this Sentry system somehow immobilizes the engine unless the correct key is put into the ignition.

Any thoughts on this?

If I could get these two installed then I think I'll take the Jeep. I'm concerned about ordering a new one, since the sales guy said they couldn't guarantee the incentives (financing/$1K rebate) would be around when I take delivery. This also leads me to wonder why the incentives aren't locked in when you order instead of when you take delivery? The way it is now, a new wrangler could cost you an extra $1K.

Bill
    The incentives ARE locked in when you order! That salesman is trying to get you to take a Jeep from inventory so they can move it, it sounds to me like.

Man, if you can stand the wait, and if it's not too late to order an 03, then I would suggest you order from the factory and get EXACTLY what you want.

I am about as impatient as anyone you will ever meet, but I ordered my Thelma Jane, and I am VERY glad that I did. It's the first time I ever ordered from the factory.

Did ya know that you get your name right on the window sticker when you order from the factory? It says "This vehicle built especailly for ______."

The dealership's name goes in that blank when the vehicle is not ordered by an individual.

Ok, that's not a biggie, but it IS kinda neat.

Tom

Congrats!! I can definately sympathize with you...my Jeep went to KZ status late yesterday which means that it has been released by the plant and invoiced. Hopefully it was shipped out today and I could be driving it tomorrow or Friday!!
    Hey, gotta name for that Jeep yet???

Since he was born on Cinco de Mayo, how about "Benito?" (Benito Juarez was the president of Mexico at the time they kicked the butts of the French army.)

Just an idea. (not necessarily a good one)

Tom

Tom -
    Thanks for your feedback. It inspired me to call jeep HQ. As it turns out, when you order a jeep you get whichever incentive is better - the one on the day that you order (goes into computer) or the day that you take delivery. That's good news. I'm going to talk to a different dealer since he was either BS'ing me or both he and his manager doesn't understand how this works. Either case is unacceptable!

PS - I went to your website and read thru the trials that you went to get Thelma Jane. Worth it in the end? seems so.
  • britt73britt73 Member Posts: 1
    I've skimmed this disucssion and didn't find a concrete answer to my question, so please forgive me if it's been answered already.

I will be buying a used Wrangler within a month. Did the new 2 ply soft top on the 01's and newer reduce wind noise on the road enough for that to be a factor in my purchase? I don't expect a TJ to be a 'quiet' ride, but if the 2 ply top really helps reduce some of the wind noise on the highway, then I'll rule out anything before 01. I'd rather not have to get my 3 year old a megaphone to talk to me when we're driving.

Thanks!
    The change to the newer top was in '01. It changed to a 4 ply material. It made a pretty big difference. We were about to buy an '00 off the lot and ordered an '01. In hindsight, I'm really glad we did. FWIW, I think DC has chnaged the top material again to a 3 ply? for the '03's. Supposedly as quiet, but easier to fold up.

-twylie
    Twylie is correct. However, in my opinion, the majority of the noise associated with the soft top is supplied by soft door tops. If you have the full hard doors I don't think you'll notice much difference between the early and late soft tops.
    Was it worth it?

YES, YES, A MILLION TIMES YES!

I have NEVER had a vehicle that has been such a JOY to own! I have never had a vehicle that has kept me all excited about owning it for almost two and a half years! I only wish I had gotten into Jeeps years before I did.

Tom

P.S. Bill, if you order a Jeep from the factory, or if you buy from inventory, be sure to get the Dana 44 rear end, unless you are totally sure that you will never want to put big tires (33" or larger) or a locker in the rear. A Dana 44 will handle larger tires and a locker without your being constantly afraid that you will snap an axle shaft. I am so glad that I read posts in here and learned about the Dana 44 before I ordered Thelma Jane!

If they still have the same package as they did in 01, the "AAS" package gets ya the 30" tires, canyon style wheels, and a Dana 44 rear end. That is a REALLY good package!

As was said, the 01s came out with the better tops. I don't have a soft top, but I have heard that there is a WORLD of difference in the wind noise between the new tops and the old ones.

Also, at some point there was a change to the distributorless ignition, and my 01 has it. I don't know if the 2000s had it or not, but I THINK they did.

There was a change DURING the 2000 model year from the AX-15 manual tranny to the NV3550. Some 00s had the AX-15 and the later ones had the NV3550. Not sure how the two trannies compare, but I don't think the AX-15s were bad, and I'm not sure the NV3550s are better.

Tom

?
    The distributorless ignition tsjay mentioned was introduced in 2000. Supposedly more reliable and waterproof than a conventional setup. I hit all the boots and leads coming out of it with silicone to be safe. The downside of this setup as I see it is that you'll have to replace the entire frame rail that attaches onto the plugs if it goes south. I'd wager it's not a cheap replacement part.

-twylie