Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    True, but then again, I don't think Honda really cares what your personal hopes or expectations are for the life span of your engine. I'm sure they have some bench run, extrapolated MTBF rating for each engine model they produce, and from their perspective, that is the engines mean expected life.

But, what I'm sure the dealer rep. meant was more along the lines of that you merely replace when/if it needs replacing, and their is no predefined service interval for the timing chain. Just as you would other major engine components.

I've had timing chains last several 100,00's of miles, and I've also had them go in far less then 100,000 (my Datsun pickup chewed through one in only about 78,000 miles).
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    You are correct. Just as long as it reaches 36,000 miles, they will be happy to fix your chain and resulting damage at 36,001 miles :(:) (at prevailing rates of course)

For me that is the catch 22 with the fiber belt. Every time you do it, at 105k intervals it is like a tune up!
  • aviator48570aviator48570 Member Posts: 9
    I am in the market for a new 2007 Honda Civic LX, and was wondering if someone could give me a little insight in how the oil filter is oriented under the engine. I spent a little time looking for it this evening before a test drive, but didn't take too much time. The salesman at the dealership had no idea...it was his first week, and I knew more about this car than he did! Is the filter vertically upright, or is it a side-mounted job? Also, is the filter positioned above any wiring or pipes that might be in the path of drainage that I should be aware of (2001 Chevy Caveliers have this problem...)? Thanks ahead of time for the info! I'm excited about getting a new Civic!
  • raykramarraykramar Member Posts: 8
    I don't know about the new design, but if they keep to honda's standard it will be in the middle of the engine and quite difficult to get to. The 2001's is not much fun to get to, but it can be done and there are no wiring or pipes that will effect the drainage.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    I've never had any difficulties with any timing chain. A mitsubishi-powered dodge went thru timing chain GUIDES like clockwork, but never a chain issue. I much prefer a chain over a belt any day.

And if you think Honda oil filters are a bear, try the upside down mounted Toyota filters.....right above the exhaust downpipe....
  • aviator48570aviator48570 Member Posts: 9
    I just closed the deal the other day on my new '07 Civic, and found the oil filter to be only about a foot and a half away from the front bumper under the center of the engine, right next to the oil pan drain bolt. I don't think Honda could have made it any easier when they redesigned the Civic. Thanks for the input!
    ...and they even label the oil drain plug with an arrow pointing to it! Unfortunately the drain plug faces the rear and is a bit difficult to reach, especially if the car has been lowered (as mine).

Moving it to the front of the pan would get them nominated for a Serviceablity Genius award.

But the filter is a piece of cake. Truly the easiest I have seen in many many years (and I've been doing my own oil changes for about 30 years.)
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    I went over the inside of my car with Armor All and it doesn't seem to do as good of a job compared to my last car. The dash material on the Civic EX is harder and bumpier and doesn't shine like my Golf used to. Does anyone use anything different? I would like something to clean off the dust.
  • magee2magee2 Member Posts: 4
    :D Hi Everybody,

My name is Tracy and I have owned my 2002 Civic LX since 11/02. I love it. I am concerned though on what I really need to begin replacing: spark plugs, etc.

I met other owners who said to simply change oil/filter.
    I think it is time for me to do more preventive maintenance. I wish to keep for another 5 years+...

Appreciate your experience and advice - approx. 77K miles.

Replaced battery, tires, and simple oil/filter changes, light bulbs,and tire rotation regularly.

Thanks.
    Tracy (NJ) ;)
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You should be following the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

You didn't mention transmission fluid change.
    armorall is worthless, it is best at separating you from your money.....

a damp cloth will clean the dash. if you insist on using a chemical, something like Endust (the kind used for electronics equipment cleaning (TV, stereo, etc)) will work quite well, not hurt the plastics and more importantly, not leave any gooey silicones behind to attract dust.

a dash is not supposed to be shiny. clean, yes, shiny, no.
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the reply. I bought Meguiar's Quick Interior Mist and it works great.
  • philaznguyphilaznguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, there:

I think my dealer accidentally or mistakenly reset the minder system without actually performing any service.

This is what happened. I had my car in today for a checkup on the bottom of the car because this morning I hit a ply of floor wood at a high speed on a highway. After the dealer check the car and told me everything is fine, I drove away. Out of curiosity, I turned the maintenance minder to show the oil life. To my big surprise, it was reset to 100%. I knew for fact that it should be 90% or lower since just a few days ago I have just checked. It seems the dealer reset the minder for some reason.

This is a new car, and I have just had my first oil change plus tire rotation when "A 1" shows up on the display. The same dealer did the scheduled maintenances and reset the minder.

Now, I am terrified that if the dealer indeed reset the minder system. If they did, why? And, more importantly, would this mess up my whole minder system, not just oil change and tire rotation, but all other things? How would I change this back if possible?

I am so frustrated and angry now with the dealer.

Thank you a bunch in advance!
  • dgl318dgl318 Member Posts: 3
    At last, Honda has made it a lot easier to change the oil filter. I know with my 2003 Civic, to reset the maintenance minder you had to press and hold the trip-odometer button for 10 seconds while turning the key to on. The 2007 Civic minder has to be reset by a qualified Honda Technician. Has anybody cracked the case and found out how to do this yourself??
  • ras314ras314 Member Posts: 43
    From the civic Coup 2007 Owner's Manual, starting at page 211:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.

2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life indicator is displayed.

3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) will blink.

4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item code(s) will disappear, and the engine oil life will reset to "100".

The step from 3 to 4 is confusing to me. Do you release the button, then press again for 5 seconds or do you simply hold it for another 5 seconds?
    Once it starts blinking, release the button and re-press and hold until it goes to 100%.

Basically each time the say "Press", it is a "new" Press. Their tech writers need a bit of slapping about.
    I've checked and re-checked my owners' manual and it doesn't mention anything about that...very strange indeed, but thanks a ton!!... I'll try it and see if it works

Cheers
  • riceburner1riceburner1 Member Posts: 5
    Are there any lube points on the chassis if so where are they.

Thanks for any help.
  • fa773nang37fa773nang37 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I'm having a problem I have a 2005 Honda Civic si and my "maintenace reguired" light is on I did a full service on it because it reached 30K but I can't reset the light and I don't want to pay a 100 bucks to get it fixed, I just want to know whats the best way and cheapest way to get it fixed.
  • scrockettscrockett Member Posts: 2
    The oil change light is reading 15% and the oil was just changed today. What's the problem?
  • scrockettscrockett Member Posts: 2
    The oil change light is reading 15% and the oil was changed today. What's the problem?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Somebody forgot to reset the OLM.
  • imindimind Member Posts: 1
    greetings,

i was fortunate enough to have been given a '97 civic ls from my mother who had it maintained regularly at our local honda dealership. she had a 'tune up' at 175,000 miles and it is now at around 195,000 miles. i've been changing the oil myself but have noticed the gas mileage has been getting worse and worse. as a student, my financial situation is pretty dismal, and i was wondering if i'm able to do any more maintenance on her beyond mere oil changes. sure, this will depend on how much i know about cars, which is very little, but am no 'slouch' and can follow directions well enough, and am more concerned about not having the necessary tools or equipment to proplerly maintain her. so, to get to the meat of this post, is it realistic for me to maintain her by myself? does honda, or anyone else, publish any guides on doing this? can you offer any suggestions as to how to improve her gas mileage?

thank you in advance,
    kevin
  • perlsterperlster Member Posts: 9
    Bizarre as it is, I found only one mention of an "air cleaner element" in the owner's manual for my 2007 civic. I couldn't find any diagram that even specified its location or any instructions for changing it. :confuse:
    Most to all maintenance/repair items are fully covered in the specific shop manual.
  • macko2000macko2000 Member Posts: 2
    For some reason my Civic LX is only pulling in about 300m a tank when is should be getting around 385. does anyone have any suggestions, I change the oil every 3000miles with 5w 20 fully sythetic oil, I replaced the air filter at 15000, miles, and for some reason I just cant seem to get the appropriate gas milage, and its draining my wallet!!
    For starters, 1. do the OCI to the OLM if your car is equipt, or the OEM OCI recommendation. For example, I do not have an OLM on the 04 Honda. The OEM OCI recommendation is 10,000 miles. 2. Same goes for the air filter change interval. You are literally increasing your maintenance cost exponentially with no performance benefit. 3. Run the recommended high speed T/P (35 psi) mentioned in your owners manual. 4. Given the fact that you lose a min of 1 mpg equipt with an automatic transmission, MPG given the set of conditions you run, are really governed between the head sets.

So for example, your oil change interval cost 3.33 x's more than it has to (as a min). I change oil and oil filter at 20,000 (Mobil One 5w20) So to me that is 6.67 X more costly. I dont wish to change peoples' notions' about this, but changing the oil at the 3,000 mile intervals , actually according to UOA'a "INCREASES" engine wear.

The car gets 38-42 mpg during the course of grueling daily commutes. If I use the fuel lamp buzzer as the metric, that would translate to between 10-11.5 gasl or 380-483 miles. If I for some reason I wanted to run it to within .5 gals left in the tank (12.7 gals) that range is between 483-533 miles.
  • macko2000macko2000 Member Posts: 2
    not to sound like a retard but what is OCI and OLM?
    First off, who says that your LX should get any particular mileage on any given tank of gas? FWIW, I've seen reports of folks getting as low as the mid 200s and as high as 700+ miles (although I'm not sure I believe that claim).

Regarding you use of synthetic oil, the fact is that you are seriously wasting your money as even the cheapest of cheap 5W-20 oils will work just as well in your car as any synthetic. Why? Because you are only going 3,000 miles per oil change. At that OCI rate, I seriously doubt that using synthetic oil will allow your engine to last even one mile longer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    OLM = Oil Life Monitor
    OCI = Oil Change Interval
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Was your air filter dirty at 15k? I can go 25k or so before it shows any dirt. I use only oem filters.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Under normal driving conditions, an air filter only needs to be changed every 24K miles. However, if you drive in excessively dusty conditions, it should be changed more often.

As to an oil change interval, I know what Honda, as well as other manufacturers, say regarding extending the oil change interval to 10K miles. But, I think this is ludicrous. If you drive like most normal human beings, that is quite a bit of stop and go city driving inter dispersed with highway driving, I would never, ever go 10K miles between oil changes. I've been inside too many engines with extended oil change intervals, and it's not pretty. Sludge build up, worn valve guides, worn piston rings, and on and on.

On the other hand, I've seen the internals of engines, Honda engines included, where owner's changed oil every 3K miles or 3 months, and the engine looks like it did when it came off of the production line. It's your investment, but I wouldn't consider extending an oil change to 10K miles - never.
    I don't have a shop manual - c'mon, somebody must know ...where can I find instructions to change it?
    While you may believe that 3,000 mile OCIs are appropriate, Used Oil Analysis (UOA) proves that if high quality oil is used (especially Group IV synthetics), such a short OCI is a simple waste of money and won't allow your engine to operate even one mile more than if you had followed the manufacturer's recommendation (or even gone well beyond them in the case of using synthetic oil).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Can't say I do not remember the whole macro and of course micor situations that triggered that set of attitudes which pull one to change oil at 3,000 miles and in some cases LESS!! That was the 1950's 60's, 70's. to mid 80's.

I have at least 3 vehicles that used as a min 15,000 mile intervals with 250,000, 146,000, 72,000 miles. Two of these engines required value adjustments so the wear and absolute cleaniness has been verified by dealer mechanics. I run another (non Honda) on (after the dismal warranty period) on 20,000 to 25,000 mile OCI's and again the wear and cleaniness was verified at 100,000 miles by the guru doing the timing belt and water pump interval and inspection of a sometimes problematic (fleetwide) intake and EGR, all pronounced good to go! In fact he looked at me quizzically and pointed to the all critical camshaft lobes and saw original tool markings and had that look..."so what is the big deal?" I run the Honda on 20,000 mile intervals, changing the filter at the oem recommendation of 20,000 miles. Again it gets 38-42 mpg in a daily grueling commute, the internals are totally clean. My target for this vehicle is a min of 4 timing belt changes (105,000 miles) or a min of 450,000 miles.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I'm not 10k brave,but thanks to Shipo and Ruking,I'm up to 6k. Use only Mobil 1 synthetic. If you top up your own oil and change your own air filter, you are in better touch with your engine.
  • mishaamishaa Member Posts: 6
    If you don't use crap oil, you don't get sludge. Use good oil (not necessarily synthetic) and change it according to when your manual says, and everything will be fine.

The guys who designed your car put quite a bit of time and money into making sure you don't spend more than you have on maintenance, and they know better when oil needs change...
    Right on!!..I couldn't agree more. The oil companies, the car manufacturers, etc. have probably been brain-washing us for years. We have been lead to believe for ever that oil should be changed every 3000 miles or 3 months. So, when somebody thinks outside the box and does some real scientific investigation into it, the naysayers jump all over it.... Change really should not be such a fearful thing..
  • sniders16sniders16 Member Posts: 1
    I recall the dealer saying not to use synthetics. I was thinking about going to the deal to get it changed. I really want to take good care of this car, It is my first. The manual did not mention anything. I am at about 6,500 miles and the dash final told me to change it. I do almost all highway driving. So far I love this car. I get almost 300 miles between fill ups.

thanks for the advice.
    Most major name brand synthetic oils meet or exceed Honda's specifications. I just had my first change on my 2007 EX/AT sedan and told the dealer I wanter synthetic. They said no problem, they use Mobile 1 in all their Honda models, if an owner requests it, and it exceeds all Honda manufacturer requirements.

They did mention that the oil life indicator in the civic, which calculates the oil life using a formula, is not specifically calibrated for synthetic oils, which often have a higher mileage figure for oil changes. The civic owners manual, and my dealer, said they still recommend using the oil minder to guide you when to change the oil, even though Mobile's recommendations may be different from what the oil minder ends up recommending.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    here is my two bits - i don't feel that regular oil holds up over about 3 - 4000 miles. i don't feel that an oil filter can handle 10,000 miles (even if synthetic oil can - which i doubt) so...

i change oil every 5000 miles with synthetic and the filter - both of which can handle 5000 miles - everyone is happy. the maintenance minder is happy (if you reset it) - and therefore honda is happy. the engine is happy. i don't have to do mathematical gymnastics to remember to change the oil every 3000 miles - i'm happy.

btw - i change the oil myself so i know absolutely what is going in and i can afford to put in synthetic that way.

anybody know if mobil one or castrol syntec is better?

also - nothing personal - but for the guy who wants to know where the airbox is to change the air filter - if you can't figure this out by just looking, you don't belong under the hood. (i assume you mean engine intake air filter - not cabin air filter - that's a different can of worms)
    "here is my two bits - i don't feel that regular oil holds up over about 3 - 4000 miles. i don't feel that an oil filter can handle 10,000 miles (even if synthetic oil can - which i doubt) so..."

Fortunately for the rest of us, we don't have to be restraned by your doubts. I rely on scientific evidence (i.e. UOAs) to determine what kind of mileage an oil and filter can or cannot handle as far as mileage, and there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that changing your oil before 10,000 miles will make your engine last even one mile further than if you went 10,000 or maybe even 15,000 miles (assuming the UOAs come back showing that kind of mileage is doable).

"i change oil every 5000 miles with synthetic and the filter - both of which can handle 5000 miles - everyone is happy. the maintenance minder is happy (if you reset it) - and therefore honda is happy. the engine is happy. i don't have to do mathematical gymnastics to remember to change the oil every 3000 miles - i'm happy."

Scientific Used Oil Analysis proves quite convincingly that 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic oil are an absolute waste of time, money, and resources.

"anybody know if mobil one or castrol syntec is better?"

For your application? There's no difference. In fact, with the OCI that you're using, you'll do just as well by using a conventional oil like Havoline or any Honda/Ford approved 5W-20.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I recall the dealer saying not to use synthetics. I was thinking about going to the deal to get it changed. I really want to take good care of this car, It is my first. The manual did not mention anything.

Actually on page 233 of my 2008 manual, it has a section on Synthetic Oil and says it can be used. It says to still follow the change intervals on the information display.

My Honda dealer didn't have synthetic oil when I first started going to them 5 years ago, but they said I could bring it in and they would pour it in when they did the servicing. So I buy what I want and I don't have to pay any dealer mark-up on the oil itself.
    still waiting ... Where is it? How is it changed?
    Do you mean the cabin air filter element (the cabin ACC pollen filter)? If so, it is in the glove box.

(copied from wiki.answers.com):

1. Open the glove box and look in the top corners of the back wall. There should be a button or flexible area which you can pull in on each side. ( The box will fall open so be sure to empty it first!)

2. Behind the glove box you will see the fan housing and directly above that is the air filter tray. Find the tabs which allow you to remove the air filter and pull straight back towards you. The old filter lifts right out.

3. Insert the new filter (there should be arrows on the filter and on the tray indicating air flow direction). There is a raised lip on the inside of the tray. Make sure that the last rib on each end of the filter hooks over this lip to keep the filter expanded so air doesn't just blow around it.

4. Slide the filter tray back into place until it clicks.

5. Raise the glove box back into place. You will probably have to push the buttons in the corners again to get the box closed.
    Bizarre as it is, I found only one mention of an "air cleaner element" in the owner's manual for my 2007 civic. I couldn't find any diagram that even specified its location or any instructions for changing it.

What the manual refers to as an air cleaner element is more commonly referred to as an engine air filter.

It is located near the battery. You'll see a box with four clips. Two on front, two on the right. Unlatch each clip. Lift the top of the box up and pull it forward and up out of the way. You will see the air filter.

Simply remove the air filter, drop the new one in place. Replace the box securely and latch all 4 clips and you're done.
  • robert8robert8 Member Posts: 13
    I have an 07 Civic LX purchased 11/07 currently at 15,200 miles. I had an oil change today at the dealer who "suggested" the following also needs to be done, Oil system flush ($125), front and rear brake service ($114), balance all four tires ($70) and replace cabin filters ($106). This is my first Honda, but I have never had the oil flushed on any of my previous model vehicles. The tires were rotated previously, do they need balancing at 15k? Should I do the brake service (??). I will buy the cabin air filters online for about $25-30 each and replace myself. I believe it takes two? Any thoughts on the other things mentioned. Thanks all, love the forums and my Civic.
    I will buy the cabin air filters online for about $25-30 each and replace myself. I believe it takes two? Any thoughts on the other things mentioned.

It sounds like a scam to me. The only thing that you mentioned that is a part of the Civic maintenance is the cabin air filters. If it's time to change those you will see a #2 on your maintenance minder. Although you may change it at 15,000 miles according to the following:

"Replace dust and pollen filter
    If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km)."

What do they mean by brake service? Are they changing any pads? If so, usually the front pads need changing way before the rear pads. $114 is a low price for a dealership to change all 4 wheels, so I bet they're not doing much for "brake service".

You can get your tires balanced for a lot less at a tire place, if you thought they needed it---for example if they're wearing unevenly. But again, tire balancing is not a standard procedure for Civic maintenance and neither is oil system flush.

If you have a different Honda dealer in your area, I'd suggest taking it to them for future maintenance. The Honda dealer that I use, always just does exactly what the manual says and never asks to do anything additional. If they're already hitting you up additional maintenance at 15,000 miles it could be a sign that they'll get a lot worse as you need to do more maintenance.
    The good news and bad news: they offer ala carte services. If you continue to do business with this dealership, I would at the VERY minimum go to YOUR Honda's owners manual. Resist the urge to classify yourself in the severe category unless you are the NYC taxicab and stop and go all night pizza delivery person!!! Next go to to FREE owner's web site. If you really want to be in the technical know, purchase the shop manual (100? I forget how much mine was) and see what the MINIUMUM requirements are and stick to that. Realistically if you are half way savy, you can do a lot of the requirements yourself. If you are at all handy, you can be good to go to the 105,000 mile major tune. Balance of tires are can be a judgement call. Some tire vendors will do it free or at least a lot cheaper, especially if you use them to buy future (or in your past) tires. Rotation also!? Stick with the 10,000 miles rotation recommendation. With a cabin filter at 12-15 dollars it might be worth your while to learn how to change it.

A Honda if not ill treated/driven can go its WHOLE life without a oil systems flush. Unless you are an habitual brake abuser, you can look forward to app 100,000 on your brake pads and rotors.
    Uhhh, don't walk, RUN away from that dealership. And while you're at it, you might comment that you're going to pay a visit to the Better Business Bureau. Said another way, the idiot that recommended those services for your new car is a crook.

Best Regards,
    Shipo