Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Droning/Humming Noise

Comments

• artasartas Member Posts: 18
    Appearantly nothing has been done. I I just recieved several e-mail replies from the dealership, when I question about resolution of the problem in 2008 model. Their answer was - this is the best minivan on the market. Its harmonic resonance and only way to get rid of it is to redesign engine and transmission. Until then its a ghost van - just avoid coasting on speed when engine RPM is 2000-2100.
    PS I have 2005 EX-L with 40.000miles and gave up arguing with honda customer service. I know only one - no more hodas in my family.
    Also if you want e-mail correspodence, I can forward it.
  • cclcalcclcal Member Posts: 20
    thanks for the info. When I asked the sales manager about known issues with the ody he just said he never heard of it and that the ody is the top rated minivan.
    I'm just like...i know blah blah blah.

if you could fwd the emails to me that would be great.

I wonder what I should buy then, i have a great offer of 25500 on the table now but really don't want to deal with this.

thanks again
    :sick: 1. I did online price quote, this was their reply:
    Thanks for the inquiry! The 2008 Odyssey EXL will sell for $30890.00 plus taxes etc. PRINT THESE PRICES AND PRESENT THEM TO THE INTERNET DEPARTMENT ONLY! These prices are subject to any factory price changes and product availability. I do stock similar used vehicles also. Please contact me for more information, a demo drive, trade in appraisals or financing assistance. If my figures are off you prefer to purchase here, I will match any legitimate competitors prices.

2.My reply was:
    Hi,

Thanks for quote. I did some online research and there are a lot complains about humming-vibration on theses cars (2005-2007 models). Have these issues been solved in 2008 model and if it was, what was done to resolve it?

3. Their initial answer was:

The only problem we had with a few 2005 Odysseys was a power steering pump noise which has been corrected long ago. My service dept is not aware of any chronic problems with Odysseys at all. The Odyssey has the most room--best resale value -- one of the safest in crash tests and one of the most satisfying vehicles in customer satisfaction. You cannot get a better van than the Odyssey, stop by and take one for a long demo drive.

PS The steering pump was replayced in my car too.

4. I asked again about droning, there was no replay for a while, then I recieved e-mail from the MANAGER (appearently it was out of competency level of lower level internet salesperson) so my question was not saved. The managers reply was:

Just following-up on your recent Internet inquiry regarding a new Honda at ******** Honda in **********, IL. I had recently sent you an email with pricing regarding the 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL model and was curious if you’re ready to purchase as yet or if you need additional information? The Honda name is by far one of the best there is in the automotive world! I know you’ll be a happy customer! Kindly let me know what I can do to help expedite your purchase process. Please feel free to contact with any concerns and I’ll do my best to answer them for you or perhaps we could get together to discuss your needs in more detail. When you visit the dealership then be sure to ask for “*** *****” so I can answer your questions about your vehicle of interest.

Thanks again and I’ll look forward to your reply,

Internet Sales Manager

5. I again approached with same question, now the higher ranked sales manager (like he didn't get the question in the first place from other salesman:) )

Hi,
    Thanks for the quote again. I still have not received reply to my last question. Before committing for big purchase, I did extensive research. Honda Odyssey is one of the best minivans on the market per consumer reports, so why I am interested in it. I also looked at personal experience reviews by customers, and edmunds is probably the best source for that. There was a substantial amount of customers, complaining of humming-vibration noise in 2005-2007 models, which some attribute to A-pipe, some say it's transmission-engine created harmonic resonance. So before getting into new car, I would like to know weather this problem was resolved, and what was the reason for it.

6. The last reply was :

Appreciate the reply and I undersatnd your research needs to be done.I also know of your concern with the a-pipe as I own an 2006 Odyssey myself for my family.That humming sound,etc.was a recalled item and mine was replaced under warranty.Anyone else should have had the same result.I can't explain it anymore than that at this time without asking a technician.I can do so if needed and elaborate later.Again,appreciate the reply and we can talk next week.

Thanks again and have a great weekend,

Here I stopped my correspondence, since they are trying to beat around the bushes. I deleted the names of people and dealership, but they are in my saved e-mails. Just to add to his last reply - the A-pipe or down pipe was changed in my car too, but that has not changed the humming at all. The worst part is - the resonance is most prominent at highway coasting speeds 65mph. So I just decided to live with it, since honda is incompetent to do anything about it. The only option for me - forget honda brand, go with Toyota siena, Hyunday entourage, I also looked at R class Mercedes - 4 wheel drive diesel model.

Art, the owner of ultimate ghost van - 2005 (new model) Honda Odyssey EX-L
    That's the expected answers. My sales person just told me HOnda is rated #1. I prodded some more, and he just said according to latest CNN report, Honda is cheapest to repair. So I asked about noise/brakes and he just said it's under warranty, we'll take care of you....
    I guess all honda sales/managers read from the same handbook.

I looked at sienna too, too much $$$ for the car, plus dated body style.
    R class - can't find the 320 CDI.
    dunno what else to do...Chrysler T&C scares me.

C
    Try Hyundai, my wifes friend just bought one, they seem to be well priced and significantly improoved in quality (few years ago I wouldn't approach them even with 10 feet pole :), but I can change my opinion ). Rmember always use internet sales deparment - prices are much lower and allow few dealsr so fight for the offer (use e-mails for that. And try to get extended warranty with a new car, but dont pay more than dealership cost (I got one on Honda Civic Hybrid for 900 $).
    Going to check out Dodge caravan, ody, & sienna one more time. No hyundai dealer close by.

thanks for the info
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    My Odyssey has had the droning noise for a long time.

In my case, it only drones when the economy "ECO" light is on, indicating the variable cylinder management has kicked in. When on level ground or maintaining speed on a slight upgrade with the ECO light on, I get the droning. Coasting on a downgrade, however, it goes away.

Mike
  • kathiky1kathiky1 Member Posts: 19
    I just finished reading about 230 postings about the Honda Odyssey. I was troubleshooting a loud roaring sound I can't seem to get rid of (ha, ha). Guess I'm lucky... it just started in the past year or so and I'm driving a 1996 with 190,000 miles!

I've read all the frustrating posts, and feel your pain.However, I want to give some words of encouragement. After 12 yrs of owning this van, I can honestly say it's the best auto purchase I ever made! I have put very little money into it outside of expected maintenance. I was fortunate enough to have some "under warranty" work done at 98,000 due to a recall (I can't remember of what), and the rest was minimal work. I just bought a 2006 HHR to replace my van when it dies and I've already put the HHR back on the market (with only 9800 miles) to get another Odyssey instead! This van has paid for itself and then some! My 16 yr old son made me promise he can drive it and NOT the HHR (and no, it's not 'cause it's a van... it's way too filthy for any chick).

A few later problems I had...

loud metalic vibrating noise near the muffler... I found out one of the noise/insulation pans (parden my non-tech verbage) had rusted and shaken loose. Since there were multiple layers of these "pans" I had it removed.

another loud roaring noise all over the car... I took it in several times thinking it was a muffler going bad, but no. Found out my back tires were unevenly worn and after replacing them, it was better. Still had a bit of noise, and thought is was from the window seals that were getting old.

that bit of noise got louder and louder... that's when I read all the posts here. I'm going to run the 60mph test tomorrow.
  • ranga123ranga123 Member Posts: 4
    I too am having wind noise from the windshield on my 07 Odyssey with barely 4K miles on it. Dealer used an autoglass company to seal the windshield but the noise is still there. I pointed this SB 04078 to the dealer. A tech at another dealer agreed that the service bulletin should be implemented but the service advisor there declined the request saying Honda would kick back the repair reimbursement as the windshield was already sealed. I went back to the original dealer and they and the Honda DPSM insist that wind noise is normal for this van. I disagreed with them. Any thoughts on how to approach this?
  • ranga123ranga123 Member Posts: 4
    My new 07 Odyssey with about 4K miles has this constant noise from the front driver side wheel and makes these clicks when turning sharp right. Interestingly, the click is not there when making sharp left turns. Had two techs at two dealerships test drive the vehicle and both indicated that it was normal for this vehicle. I did not have any of these issues when I test drove the vehicle before purchase. The wheel noise is there on all types of pavements and is fairly constant and is annoying at freeway speeds. A tech even rotated the tire but the noise remains. Dealership is disagreeing with me regarding checking wheel bearings or CV joints/boot etc. Any ideas on what can be done?
  • jameshaydenjameshayden Member Posts: 16
    Forgive me for not readng all 232 posts here but I just started to get that resonance droning on my 42K 2005 EXL. I kept an eye on it for a while and deduced that I only get it when the ECO light comes on (VCM is activated) around 50 to 60 MPH. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a noise cancellation system to compensate for the louder noises created by the change from 6 to 3 cylinders.

Has anyone had any issues with this in relation to the ECO coming on?

For now, I simply tap on the gas to turn off the VCM and the noise disappears.

James
  • ctmom2ctmom2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Odyssey started making a whine or drone noise at about 20K when I would turn the wheel left or right, but not make the noise consistently. On the 3rd trip to dealer, I insisted on the fix. By that time, the noise was louder and persistent even when driving straight on the highway. The mechanics had already told me that there is a power steering problem in the 05's but that it wasn't consistent enough to order recall. I got my new power steering, and the noise is gone.
  • jsoto26jsoto26 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 exl, I added an amp and subwoofer. Everything done by the book. But the sub resonates when the car is iddling, with the doors close. as soon as you open any door on the van it stops. spoke to multiple audio dealers and no one has a clue. very anoying. Please help.
  • daveonlidaveonli Member Posts: 7
    I have 05 Odyssey with 45,500 miles.My first problem was with the brakes,they would grind when they were applied,it felt as if the anit lock brakes were kicking in when there was no need to.I took it to the dealer and they replaced the front pads and rotors for free under warranty.From what i learned the brakes are under sized for a larger vechicle.Next at 45,100 the steering began to act up,it was clear that the steering pump was failing.Back again to the dealer.I left the car so they could check it. I get a call from the service manger stating that the steering pump needs to be replaced at a cost of $550.I told him we both know that the pump is under sized as well for this car and i should not be responsible for the cost.I told them i would call them back.One hour later the manger calls me and says he spoke to the regional manger and they would cover the cost for $450 i would pay the remaining $100 because the warranty was up.I said to do it and thank you.Now i knew i had some noise coming from the car for about a month but i thought maybe the tires were worn and that was the problem,but the noise got louder and after reading all the posts i knew it was the A-pipe.Back to the dealer.They tell me that it is the A-pipe and there is a service bulletin on it.They want $600 and change to fix it and there would be no help from Honda because it is not safety related.I did not do the work. I might have a friend of a friend that works at another dealer so i am waiting to see what happens.As a life long honda fan i must say i am very disappointed and would think twice about buying another Honda.I was looking at buying a Accord coupe but i understand that the Accord's are having there own set of problems.Sooner or later all these issues will catch up to honda and then they won't be able to say how great there vehicles are
    There will be no improovement with exchange of A-pipe (mine was changed without improovement). Just save your bucks. The humming is coming from engine-transmission, just avoid driving at speeds/RPM's when its most noticable (unfortunately some are at highway coasting speed around 65 mph).
    I hope it will not damage anything in the car for the next 60-70k miles (I plan to keep car fro 6-7 years). :sick:
  • hondavan1hondavan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. The noise comes and goes, sometimes it can go on for hours on long trips that we've taken, but other times, exactly when I take it to the dealer, nothing. I have taken it in several times to the dealer and they can't reproduce it. I just took it in today, and again, they said they can't do anything about it unless they can reproduce the noise. Not sure what to do now.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Bad power steering pump.
  • carguy74carguy74 Member Posts: 18
    alright, here is the scoop on the droning noise. the noise is from the a pipe resonating through a mount that is used to mount the pipe to the body. thus vibrating onto the floor of the car and into the cabin. the fix is to replace upgraded a pipe and upgraded(different) mount. but u need to understand that without being able to produce the noise for a factory trained honda technician to verify, any honda dealer cannot just replace parts. the dealer has to send all warranty parts back to honda to get paid for the service. there are also other unknown things that can cause noises similiar to that droning noise. the tech has to be able to verify the faulty part. if the noise cannot be produced, the dealer has no right to just replace what they think is wrong. and if the tech diags the noise wrong, the dealer eats the cost and the tech does not get paid for the job. this is not the dealers choice. it is what honda sets as repair procedure. if the dealer does not follow repair procedures, then there can be a lot of wrong diagnosis of noise problem. squeaks,rattles,harshness, and noises like the droning are very hard to diag. if anyone has never been a mechanic in a dealer....you know exactly what i'm sayin.... if you have had the job done and the noise is still there, then there is something else wrong with the vehicle. and you can be sure, when honda examines the returned part.... the dealer will not get paid. so you see, don't get mad at dealers or honda, it is a very hard thing to make consumers understand.
    :lemon: Sounds like you work for the dealer or honda rep. The problem is - REPLACEMENT OF THE A-PIPE DOES NOT WORK, THE DRONING SOUND PERSISTS. Honda make you think that noise is the pipe, but its just the part which has the same internal freequency the motor and trany has and makes it worse. The design is faulty, and Honda does not want to admit it.
    as a matter of fact, my brother is a honda tech for a dealer in a different town. i know the a pipe thing works for a fact. the problem is that people don't realize that there is alot of things that can cause a noise like that. some vehicle do get fixed by that procedure. but as i said before, if that procedure does not fix the noise, then there is something else wrong. no matter what kinda of vehicle you buy, there will always be some kind of trouble. face it, you will never be able to buy a vehicle that is exactly perfect. as of this point in the auto industry, there is no vehicle trouble free. if you don't like the vehicle you bought, sell it and buy another brand. honda is a great vehicle. we all know that. there is a reason why the big three are going under and honda and toyota is taking over. they must be doing something right or else they would not be where they are at now. if you do research on all the vehicle made on this planet, you will probably find that honda and toyotas have the least problems. if you guys think you have problem with hondas, try buying gm, ford or dodge. then come back and put in your 2 cents. over all, imports are taking over the market. if you compare vehicle for vehicle, hondas and toyotas will always have less trouble than domestic. i've said it before and i'll say it again....you will not find a perfectly made vehicle. sad but that is the truth. and nothing but the truth. not all car manufacturer figure out all the bugs from year to year. if you do not know how everything works on a vehicle, then you are just grabbing for straws by saying the things you say. there are hundreds of moving parts inside an engine and tranny. i just so happen to work on alot of hondas myself. what ever i need to know about hondas, my brother has access to honda info. and one more thing...the a pipe is a service bulletin, you don't have to pay a red cent to get it done. so for those who are willing to try this fix, it won't cost you but a little time. and for those who thinks this is just a excuse, then just sell your vehicle or live with the droning noise. like i said, it will not cost you a penny. this only applies to vehicles that are still under warranty.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    The A-pipe mod only reduces the droning defect noise.

We won a lemon law case because the droning noise was acknowledged 4 times in writing by our dealer. Engine mounts, A-pipe, and exhaust hangers were replaced several times with no 100% success. The drone noise is very apparent in the winter & almost acceptable in the summer.

Our case was an early one just when the TSB was hitting the streets. Corporate quickly caught on and told the dealerships to perform the A-pipe mod & let it go...there is no 100% fix. It is a "normal operating characteristic" of all '05 & '06 Odysseys.
    you may be right, it may reduce the noise. but it can also eliminate the noise. i know some owners of odyssey and talked to owners of odysseys and the people that i know didn't have the problem anymore. it's overall a messed up deal. but like i said, there is no trouble free vehicle. perhaps some built in different places have something defective. or was put together quite not right. whatever the case, it's up to the individual owner to evaluate if he can deal with the noise or not.
    Carguy, don't try to change your tone and cover-up the defective car. I bought honda, because the civic, I had had 220k miles (and I was doing all maintainance job (oil, clutch, water pump, timing belt, exhaust, brakes), since the moment your car is touched by a "professional", other parts start falling apart (do you guys have a "magic" touch ?). That's the reason I bought another Honda, but appearently Honda stopped thinking about quality, since it grew BIG, while domestic brands seem to improove in quality - they need to sell cars too, it's just inertia of disrespect to those brands. And since I payed top dollar (Honda priced 15-20% higher for similarly equipped car (after heavy negotiations over e-mail and phone, since buying a car from the car lot, is being a shark bait). I want top quality, not drive a ghost van, with falling appart power steering, breaking door handles etc. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    man, u have no idea what u are talking about. the truth is, i'm a certified honda factory trained technician that work at a honda dealer. all you know is what said by people and their complaints. i fix all kinds of honda daily. i've fixed more hondas then cars u will ever own in your lifetime. if u want to talk about hondas. you need to know more about them than what u think u know by surfing the net. and if you want proof, you come out to where i live and i'll take you to the dealer i work for and show you what i do everyday for a living. my brother is also a certified factory trained professional honda technician. don't try to tell me what i know and what i don't know about honda. if you feel so strong about hondas that way then you shouldn't buy anymore honda. you are so stuck on the old fashion -my car was fine until the mechanic touched my car-... anyone with half a brain knows that anything mechanical can break down at anytime. whether at a shop or going down the road. i've had cars come in for work and battery dies. load test battery and battery is bad and dumb people like u automatically say " well my car ran fine when i brought it in".. it's uneducated people like u about cars that make things look bad. and yes, we do have a magic touch. if we didn't, then people wouldn't bring their cars to us. typical scenerio for u......ever since they changed my wiper blades.....my lights don't work on my car...... man, you are something else saying professional technicians sabotage customers car.... if we did so, we'd be out of buisness . you, my " i think i know all about hondas" friend, do not know anything important about what is the truth. if you are so caught up in paying top dollar for cars, and demanding top quality, then why don't u design your own car without flaws huh? oh, i forgot, you don't know enough to build your own car. so don't act like just because you paid for the car, it will not have flaws. you need to buy domestic only and you'll see that you will have more problems then your hondas. why u think domestics are falling behind....way behind honda and toyota? why do you think when u try to sell a domestic compared to a honda, the domestic is worth less? why is that huh? why is dodge, gm, ford employees losing so many jobs? (quality) that's right!!!!! i see more newer domestics come into the shop for problems then honda. i don't need to cover up anything because what i said before is the truth. and all i've said is a fact. the droning noise i have fixed before so don't tell me i'm covering up. like i said before.....u don't know jack sshhh when it comes to hondas.... you just think u know things because of the internet..... no use trying to argue with me because i work on these cars everyday for a living. i know what i'm talking about. you are just blowing off at the mouth because you think you know it all..
    you need to go and see all the other problems domestics have before u come back and complain about honda broken handles and steering racks.....you obviously have no respect for auto technicians. when your current vehicle breaks down, i wonder who u are going to blame next. and hope u can fix it yourself, wouldn't want to take it to the professionals to touch because your tranny or engine might fall out while you are going down the road...
    Dude, you need lot's of valium. Calm down, I wish somebody like you would defend me with Honda customer service...
    Here are few ponts: 1. you are defending Honda because you are emplyed by them, thats a big BIAS. 2. My knowledge of mechanical physics, thermodynamics, electricity exceeds far beyound yours high schoold diploma with some training in car mechanics ( read about internal freequencies, resonance etc.). 3. My distrust with mechanics comes from personal experience (different time, different places, different cars - examples : after replacing power steering on dodge caravan I went for alignment to the dealership (top buck for top job ?) and they overtwisted the tie-rod boots, if I would have no clue about it and would not reinspect, I would be back with leaking power steering due to broken boot, which would let dirt get into the rod and break the seals; another story - after working on the A-pipe in the dealership, several plastic clamps wich hold bottom reflector were broken and not replaced - had no energy to go back 50 miles to complain about that, another story - few month old Accord got coolant leakage - mechanic told that raccoon ate through the pipe - what a hungry animal - it has craving for that sweet ethylene glycol, and so on and so on. I don't blame mechanics for not related problems like windshield vipers and car battery (these are old ladies who bring these stories) 4. So, if I pay top buck for the car and it's reputation, I want that reputation, not a ghost sounds at coasting speeds (the cosmetic fix for problem was change in gear ratios, that new models don't drone at 65mph, they do at 75mph - is that the reputable car manufacturer' way? 5. Read previous complains from other people, I am not alone, does that mean anything to you???
    So call Honda Customer support, and tell what's the real problem is, may be they will do some redesigning (it's not a gulfstream jet plain, for god's sake). :P
    alright man, i've cooled down. bottom line is, if you dislike hondas, then you should not buy hondas..... you need to figure out what faults in a vehicle you can live with or not. some are greater than others. some are simple squeaks and rattles, some are drivetrain problems. whatever the case, you will never be able to buy,( even if you buy bmw's,mercedes, or exotic vehicles) they all will have faults. because no vehicle is perfect...period. it doesn't matter if you pay 40,000 dollars for a odyssey, or 75,00 for a skyline gtr. what is you definition of top notch dollars? yours may not be the same as another.... any how, just because i work for honda, doesn't mean i am defending them. i am just stating facts about honda. overall, the honda odyssey is still one of the best buy mini vans on the market. no matter what problems they have. not to mention the resale value of odyssey's.
    and by the way, for your information......i am a ase certified master mechanic....not just some mechanic training....
    That sounds better. My goal by posting here is to inform, like others do here, new customers (or potential customers) about the flaws, since I had no help from customer service at Honda's center, despite it was clearly written on the repair report, done in Honda dealership, after A-pipe was replaced (as well as brakes and power steering), that sound persists and will be waiting from Honda in reaguards of potential fix. Honda customer service ignored that completely, stating that it is within normal operating specifications.
    I bought Honda (actually two of them), because of it's previous quality, and expected that from new models. I just have the fealing, that Honda with growth has sacrificied it's quality for quantity in sales (can't say that about Toyota).
    I hope you can pass some messages, heard here to somebody up in Honda technical center about problems, faced by a lot of customers.
    Good luck in your job, hope you do it honestly.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I have a 2007 with around 4k miles. At low speeds, you can hear a significant "whirring' sort of news, primarily when turning. Sort of a loud whine.

Brought it into the dealer today--they found a leak in the power steering pump and replaced it. On the drive home, the noise was good. In my Ody, the noise was not intermitent...happened every time, so I feel satisified that was the problem and its resolved.

Not thrilled about that occuring, but it was handled promptly and the car was in for maintenance anyway, so...really not a big inconvenience.
  • mooger1mooger1 Member Posts: 14
    had the a- pipe replaced because of the droning noise 8 months ago,noise only got quieter but did not go away completely. Last week went back to dealership and had the front drivers side wheel bearing replaced and the noise is completely gone... thank god. Love this van
  • puduckspuducks Member Posts: 1
    I had a new transmission put in at 55000miles when it was under warranty. about a month ago at about 84000miles I noticed a humming sound in the trans. I realy do not when it started because my wife drives the van. I took it to local transmission shop in Poway california and they said a humming sound is heard at 40-60MPH which is related to the 3rd gear. They said the 3rd gear clutches were rubbing against the outer casing and causing the humming noise. I also noticed that in the 1st, 2nd and 4th gears there is no noise.The shop recommended it would cost $2500 to fix.
    Later I took it to the honda dealer and they said the transmission was OK. I am concerned if I need to do something about it or leave it alone. please comment
    wanted to add to previous post, while driving my van at 40-45 miles an hour there was a constant droning noise, did not want my van used as a research vehicle to try to find the problem, had the y - pipe replaced and the noise only got quieter but did not go away...kept driving it for 8 months hoping someone would really figure what was causing the noise. Went back to the dealer hoping for some new information on the noise and one of the mechanic went with me for a ride. While traveling down the highway we turned the van off and coasted at 40 miles an hour..Noise was still there and the motor and transmission were out of play..We then figured out it had to be coming from the wheels. After taking it into the shop and listening to the wheels as he spun them he figured out the bearing was making the noise..I really do like this van, it drives great,it's comfortable, looks better than a toyota and is decent on gas..
  • poocatpoocat Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone who has had the A-Pipe and the rear engine mount replaced under TSB's 06-050 and 06-083, did this get rid of the droning and vibration at 2100 rpm or was it just a temporary fix and the droning came back after awhile? Some say it resolved the problem and others are saying that it made little difference. My dealer ordered the A-pipe and rear engine mount for me and will change it out for me when the parts arrive.
    i had both the a- pipe replaced and a front wheel bearing replaced and i am happy to say all my noise is gone.....suggestion drive the van between 40 and 60, the speed noise is noticed. On a flat highway turn off the engine and see if the noise is still there while coasting at that speed..You may have the same problem as i did , a noisey wheel bearing. we couldn't believe that was our problem but we are noise free now..We are now feeling alot of vibration in our steering wheel when stopped at a red light. Help anyone with this problem. I know all vehicles have problems, and i love this van but it drives me crazy the money you pay for what you get. We have just gone over the 30,000 mile mark and I'd like to get all the problems worked out before it starts costing me more money.....help anyone with the vibration issue
    I took our van in to the dealer last week and complained about the droning and vibration at idle. The service manager checked it out and ordered the A-pipe and is also replacing the rear engine mount for the vibration at idle. The vibration in ours isn't too bad but at idle and driving you notice it and it drives me nuts. Strange that in Park and I rev the engine to 2100 rpm I don't hear the droning noise. It only happens when you are driving or when there's a load on the engine/transmission. Glad to know that to know that you got your droning noise problem fixed. I'll keep the front bearing fix in mind just in case replacing the A-pipe doesn't work for me. Thanks.
    I just got my van back this afternoon. They replaced the A-pipe and the rear engine mount. The loud droning noise at 2100 rpm is basically gone. It's quiet for a change and we're pretty happy with it. I hope it stays this way. But.....even after replacing the rear engine mount the vibration in the steering wheel is still there, there was no change between the old and new engine mount. Back to square one on this one. At least I got one of my problems fixed.
  • markymark10markymark10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 EX and absolutely hate my ECO (VCM) mode. Would do anything to disable it. IF anyone knows how to, please let me know. Basically, anytime I decelerate the ECO light comes on followed by a resonating droning sound that vibrates throughout the vehicle. Not to mention the continuous shifting in and out of ECO mode to maintain speed. Can't stand this feature, even worse with load. Woudn't have bought this vehicle had I known this performance. Really bad feature, extremely dissapointed.
  • van_infovan_info Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I have an Odyssey 2005 EX that started to hum several months ago. The humming came from the back of the car.

I went to a Honda Dealer in Irving, TX and initially they said it was the tire and hence they rotated and switched the tire.
    Apparently that did not solve the issue.

I read this forum after that first attempt failed and suggested them to check the wheel bearings or the A pipe.
    I took 2 technicians on a ride so that they could hear the humming sound (The humming sound only occur on a smooth road so I took them to a smooth road).
    Having heard the humming, one of the technician told me that it could be the wheel bearing. Hence, they replaced the rears wheel bearing.

So far my Ody has not given me any humming noise anymore. This is my 2nd day though. I will report if the hum comes back again.
  • michal513michal513 Member Posts: 4
    I had an 06 odyssey with this wind noise problem. It got so bad I traded for an 08 Odyssey...big mistake. I not only have the wind noise, I now have bad brakes,
    DONT RECOMEND HONDA ANY MORE.
    great news that you found the source of the humming noise..I was the one that posted the message after i discovered that my noise was coming from the front wheel bearing... I have no more humming at all, and am well pleased with my van..my daughter just bought a new 08 ex-l i sure hope that she has good luck with theirs.
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    Try some of the upgraded aftermarket brakes. It could fix you issues. I saw one company (brakeperformance com) which guarantees its rotors for 2 years or for life, depending on model. The ody is fairly heavy so they work the brakes pretty hard. I may try this company next time my rotors need to be replaced.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    There are success in MDX and Pilot re this droning noise at 2000 RPM or at highway cruising... below is the MDX TSB ... changing the part is about 5 minute job though you have to find the Ody's Part Number.

• iagentiagent Member Posts: 1
    Mine has done this since new. It's sort od a buzzy feel like when a car is in too high of a gear for the given speed. I am over 50k mi and nothing has changed.
    I have an 06 odyssey and started hearing the dronning noise, I had the exhaust part replaced,and then discovered the front wheel bearing was causing the noise. I am now noise free...and we love the van
  • mhierholmhierhol Member Posts: 4
    My curiosity is killing me. Please describe the A-Pipe part referenced in these threads.

Also, I'm looking at purchasing a 2009 Ody EX. Is the droning issue resolved in 2009? Next test drive I will specifically have me or my wife in the back to listen in the 40 - 75 mph range.

Thank you much!
    Mike
    I think the problem is the hanger that holds the a-pipe, when replacing they replace both, the noise is very annoying,however it did not start until we had the van for several months,,maybe 15 months. They replaced the parts,there is a recall notice out. You can find that info in some of the posts. However that repair did not correct my problem,(maybe alittle). I then wait for several months because I did not want my Van to be worked over and over until the real problem could be found. It was then while in for an oil change I mentioned the noise to the mechanic and he discovered a bad wheel bearing in the drivers side front wheel.Noise is gone. We really love our van and enjoy driving it
  • kaesankaesan Member Posts: 3
    how much did you pay to get the front bearing replaced? Do you need to change both sides?
    Do you change rear with front?
  • needfourspeedneedfourspeed Member Posts: 2
    Hi, had a car in and they basically were telling us nothing was wrong. We have an 05'. Did your noise occur at low speeds? My wife's does it at low speeds with no effect when steering wheel is turned. If I had to deal with this on a daily basis (if it were my car) I probably would have been more persistant. But when ever I do drive the car it is annoying. Time to get my butt in gear.

Thanks for any help.
  • needfourspeedneedfourspeed Member Posts: 2
    Hi, we have an 05' odyssey. The droning sound occurs in cold and warmer weather. It sounds like an easy fix. I will look into it.
    Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks