Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL 2006

6sptl6sptl Member Posts: 27
I just upgrade my beloved 2004 6 spd TL for an acura RL with tech package. What a car! It preserves all of the TL's dynamics, except for the furious acceleration (the RL is fast but not furious) while providing probably the most comfortable, quiet and refined ride in the industry. The AWD system is all its hyped to be, particularly in foul weather, making this without a doubt the safest car in the market. The audio system is simply outstanding, the TL's was excellent the RL is unbelievably better in all respects. The adaptative cruise control and collision mitigating braking system in conjunction with the ride and audio turn cruising hundreds of miles on the interstate at high speed into a pleasure rather than a chore. Add to that its austanding handling dynamics and highway power and you have without a doubt by quite a margin the best 6 cylinder AWD luxury sport sedan period. As with other Hondas It is not the star of any single event, but its excellence in all parameters leaves the competition in the dust.

Comments

• aleesalees Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 2005 TL and have driven the 2005 RL model extensively. My feeling, shared by others I've seen on this Board, is that Acura needs to raise the bar when it revises the RL in the next couple of years. The RL is a fine car, but the competition makes it difficult to justify the strange market positioning. It's as though Honda lacks the self-confidence to place itself squarely in the luxury-sport category.

While cabin materials and technology elements are first class, the RL lacks punch and a few obvious additional goodies. If Acura can upgrade the basic concept by providing a larger engine (for example, a 4.2 V8 making around 350hp and 310fp torque) and add to the gearbox so that 6 speeds were available on the auto transmission, that would be a start. Add in heated rear seats with side air bags, and maybe a standard seat-back dual DVD system with Bluetooth headsets and separate rear climate controls, and you'd have a true luxury car with enough performance to make life interesting. It could hit the stands at around $58k, which would be thoroughly competitive and would distance it enough from the TL so that there would be a clear market separation.

The reason I bought the TL is simply that the value for money equation was far greater for the TL than for the RL. Whenever I drove the RL I appreciated its sophistication, but it lacked the punch I wanted. So the TL, netting out at about $14k less than the RL, gave me 80% of what I wanted plus some fun factor that the RL lacked. I can't help but think that the RL gets shopped but ultimately rejected by a lot of people, either for the cheaper TL or for the rear-wheel drive alternatives like the BMW 5-series or the Infiniti M-series.

So come on, Honda! The Acura brand is worth putting some weight behind. Let's see a meaty revision of the RL sometime in 2008.
  • lorenzo2lorenzo2 Member Posts: 16
    06 TL with Nav according to forum buyers is around 32k I paid 40600.00 for a 06 RL. It's a no brainer why I bought the RL. I gave my son my 2003 TL so I'm not a stranger to Honda (owned 4 other Honda's), the RL is second to none for the price.
  • garnetgarnet Member Posts: 7
    "Second to None for the price" how right you are!

In July, purchased new 06 RL for $40,950; sold '96 RL with 80K miles, mint condition, that had been purchased new, to a private party within days, for $7500; bottom line capital expenditure for the lakeshore/toupe steal now beautifying our garage: $33,450. That's right, a Buick price for a spanking new RL, with list of luxury car features standard --GM's worse nightmare.

Consumer Report: Shame! Shame! Shame!

gar
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I was just at the dealer last night getting the MDX oil changed.
    They know I'm looking for a second car, leaning toward the Lexus IS or '07 G35x.
    I like the RL, but dislike the $53,000 pricetag.

They have an '06 RL w/ Nav and Tech packages.
    It was driven by the dealership's owner's wife and has 6,200 miles on it.

It's Silver Metallic on Black, and has extras like wood shift knob and steering wheel, cargo net, all weather mats and a trunk tray.

They're asking $41,000

That a good deal?
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    That may not be a bad price if it has the A-Spec package (i.e.: 18" wheels).

Depending on where you are in the country, a new '06 RL w/ Nav (not A-Spec) should sell for in the $41 - $41.5K range.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Auburn, MA Acura
    RL with Nav & Technology Package, they're asking $53,000 on the sticker and then play games and explain how they'll give me a deal and drop $1,000
    I think I got too good of a deal on the MDX that they're trying to make some money back, LOL

How can they drop $12,000 off of MSRP? That's gotta be way below invoice, right?

I know that the MDX forum shows people claiming to get fully loaded MDXs for $35K-$37K.

Sticker on my fully loaded 06 was $43K and change, and I paid $39k out the door.
    I'm very happy with the deal, but others claim it's not so good.

I wouldn't pay $53K for a loaded RL, but for $41, it would be a no brainer.
  • johnhaydjohnhayd Member Posts: 11
    a good deal on an '06 with tech pack is 45-46k. non tech: about 40-41 is a good deal. check out acurazine.com for more info about what people have paid.
  • rsboregonrsboregon Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a brand new 06 RL with 20 miles for $41.8 in Portland, OR. No tech package. I thought it was a good deal. My sales guy was nice, and I didn't want to continue to negotiate to get a few hundred more off the price.

I have to say that after a week I love the car. I spent weeks comparing to Lexus GS, IS, BMW 3 and 5, and Infiniti M. I read reviews and drove all cars. I have no regrets about my choice now that I have bought and driven the car for a week. I have owned BMW, Porsche, MB, and this is the best car I have ever had. Period. People complain about body looks, or that it looks like an Accord. That doesn't bother me. What matters to me is what it looks and feels like from the inside. And, there it can't be beat, at least not for the money. It handles great for a sedan. The sound system is the best I have ever heard in a car. It doesn't have the depth of the sound stage of my high end tube amp system at home, but it comes pretty darn close with the right disk. The car is very comfortable, and I think it looks superb from the inside. I am still wading through all the possible settings, but the manual is good and the system is pretty intuitive once you figure out the basics. Voice activation is good, and the hands free link for the phone has been great. The fact that there are so many people who would spend $10-12K more for a BMW 5 is a testament to marketing and the willingness to pay for perceived status over function. Their loss. The RL is an underappreciated vehicle in the US.
  • dunde71dunde71 Member Posts: 33
    A 50K dollar car and not even a spare tire. The reason they say is it comes with run flats which are expensive and wear quickly. If you do lot of long distance travel on weekends and get a flat on the highway as you wont find any autoshop open on weekends ... I guess you will have to wait till Monday to get it fixed. Its a nice car with so many high tech gadgets and AWD but I dont understand why they designed it without even a spare which is pretty basic and even an ordinary 20K car has it.
  • tamparltamparl Member Posts: 42
    I traded my 05 TL NAVI for an 06 RL. I cannot be happier.

The TL was very impressive and a different ride, sportier, firmer ride, edgier styling. The TL is an amazing design interior and exterior and in the 30-35K price range my hands down choice. But after 18 months and 16K miles I decided to look at the RL. My disappointment in the TL was with assembly. Rattles, interior materials and assembly issues that cheapen the TL diluted my like of the TL.

I never looked at the RL at 50K. But I read the 06 RLs were selling in the low 40s and my dealer confirmed while on a service call. They made me a great offer on the TL, and the RL was <41K. After driving the RL, I could not walk away. The RL is everything I loved in the TL and so much more. The RL at that price was worth the premium over the TL. Further, the RL assembly is unquestionably better. I like the quieter, more refined ride of the RL over the TL (different animals, and a matter of driving taste). It feels like a premium vehicle and the SHAWD is seamless and balanced.

It surprises me the RL does not sell better. But I like the exclusivity of the RL. TLs seem more popular than Accords lately. I confess I did not consider the RL at 50k, but in the low 40ks, there is nothing else I would consider, comparably equipped. When I saw the repackaging / pricing of RL content in the 07s it made my buying the 06 NOW was a no brainer.
  • vluuvluu Member Posts: 100
    Today, I had my first test drive with the 06 RL. It definitely has a lot of power and handles great. Car is very comfortable and looks like a luxury car inside. I was told that I can basically get the car for invoice with an additional $4000 rebate on top of that. With a MSRP of 50K... I wouldn't even consider, but in the low 40K... it's hard to pass up. It's definitely the best bang for the buck when compared to anything else.

Here's my problem. I had earlier looked and test drove the 2006 TL w/ Nav. When comparing both cars... I think both have plenty of power and handle very well. Yes, the RL is smooth and quiter than the TL. Size wise, the RL is not much roomier or larger. So, when I get the TL w/ nav for 30,600.... is the RL worth about 10K more. That's a lot of $$ to justify for just a little more advancement.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    So, when I get the TL w/ nav for 30,600.... is the RL worth about 10K more. That's a lot of $$ to justify for just a little more advancement.

In my opinion, it's a totally personal opinion and depends on what you're looking for in a car. I have an 05 RL which I love and a friend has an 05 TL which he loves. I've owned mine for two years and have also ridden extensively in his. I wouldn't trade for his and he wouldn't trade for mine. I like the more luxurious feel and ride of my RL and the SH-AWD (I'll never go back to 2 WD), as well as the extra gadgetry. He loves the sportier handling and ride of his TL and could care less about gadgets, other than the Navi which he has.
    Thanks for your reply. I do agree what you had to say about personal opinion. Don't get me wrong... if I had a choice between the RL and TL... and $$ was no object, I would pick the RL hands down. I do want a smooth and luxury car... which the RL is.

My delimea is $$. I'm having a hard time justifying the price. I plan to do another test drive of the RL again. A dealer has offered me the car for a weekend, I think I might take up that offer. Then after the weekend.... if I'm still unsure, I'll know my decision.

thanks again for your input. Btw, if you don't mind me asking...did pay MSRP back 2 years ago?
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Btw, if you don't mind me asking...did pay MSRP back 2 years ago?

Yes, I did. I bought it when it was first introduced and there were no deals to be had anywhere. A lot of people on these boards have said that was stupid. However, I also got full Edmunds trade-in price for my 1999 RL. Nine months after I paid full price people were saying they were getting $6-8000 off MSRP, but the Edmunds price of a 1999 RL had dropped by nearly $8,000. I've owned my RL for over two years now and have never regretted buying my RL or paying full price. It's a dream to drive and I wouldn't trade it for any other car in its class.
    There's nothing wrong with paying MSRP. Personally, if you are happy with what you paid for... that's all that matters. I was thinking about the Lexus ES350 and was willing to pay MSRP, but with all the compliants and transmissions issues.... I had to look for something else. Not willing to pay 40K for a car that could have so many issues.

I'm from the DC/MD/VA area and RL's are greatly discounted, plus there's a good supply at the 3 different Acura dealers. I was told when I went to test drive the RL... that I can get the RL for $4000 below invoice. That would basically come to about $41K + TTL. For me to really pull the trigger now... $40K OTD would be the magic deal.

Thanks again for your input and advice. I will definitely give the 06 RL another test drive. Sometimes, you need to test drive a few times to really get the feel for the car. Who knows... I could be a RL owner sooner than I think?
    I traded an 05 TL Navi for an 06 RL. Agreed, they are different rides, which you have determined. I, personally feel the premium paid on the RL over the TL is made up in build quality and materials over the TL (assuming the ride characteristics appeal to you). The SHAWD is also a hefty bonus and a good hunk of that cost differential. I find the RL build, feel and features satisfy my 'premium' car expectations. Although I love the TL style, enjoyed the sporty nature and agree the features / content are a value....I also found the TL short on premium build quality and materials. Rattles, poor interior fit, plastics not in harmony deter from the TL as an otherwise stellar vehicle. (IMHO) The RL has been much more impressive with interior build, materials and general assembly (made in Japan vs TL made in USA).

For my everyday driving habits, I favor the RL. The TL is more razor sharp, but I am happy to compromise that for the RLs refined feel. The RL is no couch on wheels, and actually surprises me when driving spirited. It is more than competent in it's class.

Now with the TL in the lower 30s, I think it is the best vehicle in that ballpark. The RL in the lower 40s (I paid just under 41K) I also think the RL is the best value in that ballpark. At 50k? .... not so sure.

You have at least 2 decisions to make... 1) you expected ride / style and 2) what your budget is for that type of ride. The 06 RLs are being offered at prices the 07 packaging will not offer...at least initially.
    I traded an 05 TL Navi for an 06 RL. Agreed, they are different rides, which you have determined. I, personally feel the premium paid on the RL over the TL is made up in build quality and materials over the TL (assuming the ride characteristics appeal to you). The SHAWD is also a hefty bonus and a good hunk of that cost differential. I find the RL build, feel and features satisfy my 'premium' car expectations. Although I love the TL style, enjoyed the sporty nature and agree the features / content are a value....I also found the TL short on premium build quality and materials. Rattles, poor interior fit, plastics not in harmony deter from the TL as an otherwise stellar vehicle. (IMHO) The RL has been much more impressive with interior build, materials and general assembly (made in Japan vs TL made in USA).

For my everyday driving habits, I favor the RL. The TL is more razor sharp, but I am happy to compromise that for the RLs refined feel. The RL is no couch on wheels, and actually surprises me when driving spirited. It is more than competent in it's class.

Now with the TL in the lower 30s, I think it is the best vehicle in that ballpark. The RL in the lower 40s (I paid just under 41K) I also think the RL is the best value in that ballpark. At 50k? .... not so sure.

You have at least 2 decisions to make... 1) you expected ride / style and 2) what your budget is for that type of ride. The 06 RLs are being offered at prices the 07 packaging will not offer...at least initially.

Where you that dissatified with the 05 TL, that you had to trade for a 06 RL? I have the budget for an 06 RL, but I'm trying to figure out what the "best bang for the buck". You put it into perspective.... 06 TL is the best price for low 30's and for the RL, it's the best for the low 40's, especially when the car is really listed @ a 50K car. It's a clear case, now to try to get the best deal for the RL.

What ext/int color combo did you choose. Now that the end of the year is coming to an end, color selection is another problem. Although, I'm really leaning toward the nighthawk black pearl. Something really classy with the RL in black.

Thanks for your reply.... seems like another RL owner that is totally satisfied.
    vluu,

I was not that dissatisfied with the TL. I did expect more of it, pertaining to build quality. My choice of the TL with the tight ride characteristics may have been a mistake on my part. But when I bought the TL in 1/05, the RL was selling at 50K, so I did not look at it. On one of my several service visits with the TL I looked at the RL. The sales rep I knew told me he could give me a great deal on the RL and a very good trade on my TL. That motivated me to test drive the RL. Once I did, I was sold and knew the TL had not been the best choice for me. I was fine to spend low 40s on the RL for what it offered me over the TL. My RL is Opulent Blue Pearl over Taupe w/ backup cam.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    tamparl: How did you get a backup camera on an '06 RL? They're not offered on the '06, are they??
  • gcookgcook Member Posts: 33
    Maybe it was a 2007,since 2007 has the backup camera..
    I have an 06RL. The backup cam was offered as a dealer installed accessory on the 06. I got it thrown in as part of my purchase agreement. I do not believe it is compatible with the 05s.

For 07 , I believe it is now factory installed. I love it, very low lux (2 lux?) so it shows well at night with just the backup lights. One note, there is a slight delay in the cam engaging right after starting up the RL (and shifting into Reverse). Although you do not have to answer the OK prompt on the Navi for the camera to display, it does take a 3-5 second boot up of the Navi drive. For those of you that get it in gear before the engine is fully cranked, it may be an issue. It will display a second or two after you shift into R had you not waited for the NAVI to boot. If you typically wait for the OK prompt to display before shifting, then it is no problem and engages instantly when shifting into R. For me, I just back into my parking spaces and my garage so I start off in Drive anyway.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Interesting stuff on the rear camera installed as an option. Thanks.
  • eclipse2eclipse2 Member Posts: 64
    Hi all I just got my RL for 39,500 in NJ Black on ebony car is great!! I have a 2003 TL type s with Nav and this car is about 20 times better but I still love my TL too. I was gonna get the new TL s but they wanted 38,000 for it fo I asked about the RL and I got it for 39,500.... :shades:
    tamparl,

I understand your point about the TL. My reservations about the 06 TL is the ride quality. My current car, 2000 Maxima SE has a similar "sports" ride as does the TL. I think after driving this car for almost 7 years.... I think I am ready for something more comfortable. Although the TL is by far superior in technology and style, I don't believe I will be satisfied with the sports tuned ride. I plan to keep this next car for at least 5 years, so the more and more I think about it... I'm realizing the TL is not the car for me... regardless of the price or style. In the long run, I know I will not be happy with the ride quality.

Wish me luck as I go after the 2006 RL Technology package. I'm going to shoot for a price about 39K before TTL. Who knows, right?
    Hi all I just got my RL for 39,500 in NJ Black on ebony car is great!! I have a 2003 TL type s with Nav and this car is about 20 times better but I still love my TL too. I was gonna get the new TL s but they wanted 38,000 for it fo I asked about the RL and I got it for 39,500....

Did this include... processing + destination? Also, what was the dealer? How did you get down to that deal... email,phone, or right in there to deal?

thanks
    vluu,

It sounds like we are on the same page. I still am impressed with the TLs abilities, but I had to learn to love it. I think I was visually and feature sold on the TL more than I was by the seat of my pants. Then after owning it awhile, I became critical of flaws I would not expect in a premium vehicle. The RL felt right from the moment I test drove it, comfortable and already familiar. It is of course, personal taste. I may be heading to the old fart farm, but 18 months in the TL had me longing for a more refined ride. Still, I find the RL a great performer for it's class and design.

Good luck on the price. Being so late in the year you may be pleasantly surprised. I was surprised with my price almost 2 months ago. I can say that the market you are in does affect the pricing. In Florida Acura does not deal as generously as prices I see people posting in say, NY/NJ or CA. Those markets may be more competitive and can offer lower pricing. But regardless where you are located, close to 10K off an new RL is what I consider a must have!

Got my fingers crossed for ya!
  • eclipse2eclipse2 Member Posts: 64
    I got a few quotes from other dealers was down to about 39,900 I had got my TL from Sussman in 2003 so I just called and told them where I was at with my price and they said if I get it right now 39,500 is the price and that is with destination there was some processing fee but not that much to bring up because I was starting at 39,500 car is great took the wife and kids to dinner and had a nice ride. :D
    tamprl,

Yeah... I haven't own a new car since 2000. My biggest fear is spending 30K+ for a TL and later finding out I am dissapointed

I have looked on autotrader.com and looked at local Acura dealers website... and inventory is still decent. I'm open to 3 colors; black, silver, carbon gray. All the dealers around here have them. Now, it's the price game. I have sent emails to about 4 different Acura dealers... so wanting to hear back. I would prefer to buy before the end of Oct.... since I will may get a better deal since they may want to move the car. Although, it's bad timing for myself... my schedule is booked. Hopefully I can deal by email or over the phone. If so, then all I will have to do is just show up and pick it up.

Does anyone know if Acura will offer a higher rebate on the RL. Right now for Oct.... there's a $4000. Back in Aug/Sept, the rebate was $3OOO. Maybe it will be worth it to wait until end of Nov. I'm in no rush... just waiting for the right deal.
    39,500 is an excellent deal. I would seriously consider pulling the trigger on your deal. For me.... if someone offered me 39K + TTL, I would definitely pull the trigger. I guess it all depends on how much are you willing to wait... if you want to long for maybe saving $500, there's a high risk you won't have much of a color selection or package you are looking for.

Thanks for your advice.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    tamparl,

I have a 2005 TL and thinking of trading for a 2007 RL. Is there a big difference in ride quality or just a minor difference? I like the TL, but find the ride to be a little on the firm side if not harsh. Is there less road noise in the RL? Would appreciate any comments.
    Hey Golfnut5,

I am sure there will be a ton of people arguing the point, but I will share my opinion having owned both.

For me, as much as i appreciate the TLs sporty nature, it was too firm for day to day driving on crappy roads. Only on the smoothest asphalt was the ride also smooth and quiet. I am pretty anal about rattles, and the firm ride of the TL also upset the interior more than I prefer. I found myself dodging all road imperfections and slowing to dead slow for driveways and railroad crossings.

For me, the RL handles this much more to my liking. Much more refined, no creaks, pops or rattles and I cruise over roads I formally crawled by with the TL. The RL is much quieter on most roads. However, the RL is more sporting than dedicated luxury cars (read Lexus) and some tire noise is apparent on coarse, concrete or grooved roads (we have many in Tampa). I suspect this is due to the tires, and Michelins are known for it. I don't think you can totally elimate all tire noise on all road types, but I've read there are alternate tire choices to be made on the RL. Still on smoother roads, the RL is eerily silent. I think the car being much quieter makes occaisional tire noice noticable.

I tend not to crank the stereo as much in the RL, I can hold normal conversations and the voice recognition works better. I even can use voice recognition and HFL with the sunroof open cruising along at 50mph.

Ultimately, it is a matter of opinion if if you feel the RL is THAT much better than the TL. For me it is.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    tamparl,

Thanks for the comments. I drive about 25,000 miles per year in my TL and that is on many crappy roads. I like my TL, fun to drive and awesome power, but looking for something with a softer ride, but still sporty. Sounds like the RL could be that ride. When the 07's hit my local dealer I will take a test drive.
    golfnut,

Let me know how you evaluate the RL. I have been reading a reoccurring theme on RL & TL web boards. It seems there is a trend of TL owners trading into the TL. In fact the 07 TL 'base' model has had the suspension slightly detuned for more comfort (and perhaps to lessen rattles?).

FYI there is no change in the 07 ride characteristics than the 06. The 07 is just packaging in 3 trim levels. 'Base' will be no Navi, no active front lighting and plood instead of real wood. The Technology Package and the Tech + PAX is the same as an 06 Tech + PAX. But the 06 is selling 10K below sticker. You may want to consider....
    I finally pulled the trigger this afternoon for a 2006 RL non-tech package (black/black).... got it for $39,500 + TTL. This included; wheel locks and life time oil changes + Va State inspections. The dealer was Radley Acura in Va. I have to say... this was the best buying experience I have ever had. They truly have a good customer service.

A few days earlier, I went Pohanka Acura and had a terrible experience. Sales people were very pushy and agressive. In the end, Pohanka didn't even have a 2006 new RL to sell me. They keep on trying to sell me a demo and then when I agreed to look at it, they couldn't even find it. This was the 3rd time I gave Pohanka a chance to have my business.... and all 3 times... they seem to "strikeout".

Anyway... thanks for everyone's feedback and information. I have to thank everyone who posted valuable information. If it wasn't for this information, I don't think I would have gotten the offer I was looking for. Thanks!! I pick the car up tomorrow after work and I can't wait to drive it home.
    Congrats vluu! I hope you enjoy your RL as much as I am enjoying mine.

I went to the Tampa Bay Auto Show last night and I can say there was nothing that I would have purchased over the RL in the 40-45K range. Only the Lexus GS intrigued me (IS too small, ES interior does not appeal to me and LS does not look like 70k+). But the GS comparably equipped was 45k+. That trip affirmed my RL purchase. And for those who think the RLs build quality is not as good as some others, I beg to differ. I did a lot of 'door slammin' at the auto show!
    Congrats vluu! I hope you enjoy your RL as much as I am enjoying mine.

Thanks tamparl! Your opinion was extremely helpful. After looking and comparing the GS350, GS300, TL, and ES350..... the RL wins hands down for luxury and price. Still can't believe I got the deal I wanted.... and I bought it! I was going to wait... but the deal was too good to pass up. Don't know if I had waited... the deal and color choice would have been possible.

I just picked up the car tonight (with 15 miles) and the drive home was fantastic. Now... I have to learn so much about how everything works. Very overwhemling... but I'm going to enjoy learning and experiencing everything. :)

Next week, going to consider some of the accessories for the car. My sales person is offering to buy some items at his discount cost. I'll have to compare what his cost is... compared to buying it online. Consiering the deck spoiler, wood steering wheel, wood shift knob, and color mud guards. Any recommendations?
    Accessories are a personal choice. But I highly recommend the backup cam. I got the cam thrown in the deal, and my dealer has mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray and cargo net on all new Acuras they sell. Some dealers charge for those depending on the model. Ultimately you ARE paying for it, it just boils down to how they package the deal. As long as you are happy with the car and you feel the price you paid was fair, then no need to stress over if you could have negotiated any lower. Keep in mind there are people driving 05 RL who paid 50k and an 07 non Navi RL is 45K. Just enjoy the ride! :P
  • acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    Currently drive an 04 TL non-navi; fast and fun but harsh ride. Strongly considering a move up to RL for ride characteristics and satellite traffic. Just posted in the Prices Paid forum (L.A. area fleet manager offered $40,587 + TTL for non-tech 06 RL today--basically invoice less the $4K dealer rebate). Thoughts?

Another couple of little questions for RL owners: the Acura website lists 17" tires (245/50 x 17) while Edmunds claims 18" as standard (245/50 x 18). Which is correct? Also, are the directional headlamps standard on 06 RL non-tech? :confuse:

Looking at the relevant MSRPs, Acura must have deleted some goodies for 07. The 07 RL tech w/o PAX is essentially the same price as the 06 RL non-tech...just trying to get it all figured out. (No interest in PAX or OnStar.) Thanks for any help here. :D
    acurat,

I got the deal, $39,500 the other day (Northern Va). The dealer had about 6 non-tech RL's left. I had gotten some email quotes for $40K. So, $40,587 + TTL isn't bad? I think if you wait to save $500, you might lose out if they sell off all the 2006 RL's. Then you are left with having to go with a 2007, which there is no "$4K" rebate. This is the reason I pulled the trigger. My $39,500 was the best I got thus far, so I had to jump on it. As it turns out.... 2 days later, the dealer is down to only 3 2006 non-tech RL's now.

I noticed that on Edmunds as well. It's a misprint on their specs for the RL non-tech. Yes, you get the AFS standard on the non-tech. I have them on mine and they work great. Plus they have an auto-leveling system that works well too.

Go for the 2006 RL if you can? It will be hard to get that 4K rebate for the 2007's. You would probably have to wait a while to see that again. Only real difference is the rear backup camera... 2006 don't have it. If you really want that... the dealer can install that option for about $600.

Btw.... this is by far the best car I have ever own. It's worth every penny. So much technology and gadgets! Ride is smooth and the car is solid.

Good luck!
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    I'll throw this out in the RL segment.

Does anyone think that the Acura V8 Luxury Coupe seen in another blog is a real possibility or is it just a fairly good chop job. The picture looks like a Mercedes CL with a modified Acura front end. It would be real nice to see Acura return to the Luxury Coupe market, but given their conservative styling and marketing it is doubtful this will happen.

I have always felt that the Legend Coupes of the late 80's and early 90's were very classy automobiles and was sorry to see them go.

Any opinions?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Ultimately, I think it comes down to dollars and cents. The coupe market (especially upmarket) is very small. The population is aging, so as more baby boomers retire, I suppose there is the chance that the demand for 2-door, personal luxury coupes will rise. But note that Toyota has recently decided to axe the Camry Solara coupe, and Honda is evaluating whether to continue the Accord coupe for 2008 and beyond. This is a reflection of the limited demand for such cars.

It seems to make more sense to see Lexus come out with a true 2-door coupe, since they have the resources and global focus to pull this off. The old SC300/400 coupe has been gone for many years now, and the current SC is a high end hardtop convertible with an unusable back seat. But I see Lexus focusing more on an IS coupe to better compete with the BMW 3-series coupe, before they develop a classy CL-type coupe like you asked.

Given the tepid sales of the current RL, I don't see Honda pulling the trigger on a 2-door luxury coupe, with or without a V8. I question whether there is enough sales potential to justify the design, tooling, launch, marketing, and service support that such a new model would represent. But I hope I'm wrong since I am also a fan of 2-door coupes that offer performance, panache, and a useable back seat.
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Cstiles, thanks for the response, I agree with what you're saying but also offer this as an argument for an Acura coupe. At present, by my count, there are BMW3, M/B CLK, Infiniti G35 coupes on the market. Also it is reported that Audi, Cadillac and possibly Lexus will be joining the luxury coupe market. While sales performance is the ultimate criteria I might think that Acura would give the coupe consideration simply to keep pace.

I presently have an aging but reliable 02 MDX and my next vehicle will not be an SUV. I was considering an 08 CTS until I read that they might be producing a coupe in 09 now with the 07 BMW3 being a somewhat larger model (I hate small sport coupes ie:G35) and the possibility of an Acura and Lexus coupe, I'm salivating. Let's hope that us Baby Boomers still carry enough clout to convince auto manufacturers to do it.
  • jeffp2jeffp2 Member Posts: 4
    i bought mine a year ago or so. for the most part, quite pleased. one rattle ... seems to be from the sunroof area. when i close the moonroof, seems to diminsh substantially though. city mpg so so ... 15/16. hiway .. very good .. 25+. not sure why the huge variance.

be curious to hear other owners feedback or general comments.

thanks
  • jeffp2jeffp2 Member Posts: 4
    vluu:

i live in the midwest but my daughter lives in arlington & bought an acura not long ago from radley & says exactly what you do ... loved the experience. her car has been great & no problems. wish there were more dealers like them around!

i've got a black/black 2006 rl myself. love the car. had a couple minor rattles but all else ok. yours still behaving properly?
  • badbuybadbuy Member Posts: 12
    Nice to see that there is at least one acura dealer that is ok. CC Acura is a nightmare. It took Acura two months to even acknowledge the problems. The 2006 "new" acura RL now has lots of problems popping up. So sorry I bought this LEMON from a less than competent dealer.

:lemon: :lemon:
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    personally, i see a hardtop convertible a la c70, eos, 335i/328i on the horizon. Convertibles sell better than coupes lately. For those who want a coupe, keep the top closed...

_Cj
  • dvkimsondvkimson Member Posts: 4
    At a stop on a family trip from Atlanta to Biloxi, my brother in-law, who was driving a Lexus LS430 said:"Did you feel the wind? It kept on blowing my car away!". Supprised, my other brother in-law, who was dring my 06 RL said:"Really? I didn't feel athing". At that time, it striked me that I took everything for granted with my RL. I remember there were some sharp curves on some of Atlanta's highway/exits that scared me before are now just another curve. There were some puddles of water on the road when it rains used to lift and throws my car to the side of the road now lost their power. Couldn't do anything to my RL. So there, Acura RL owners, there are a lots going on around your drives, but you just don't know it. I guess we don't have to know it But just don't take it for granted.
  • vince69vince69 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 RL and I am interested in pairing it with a cell phone using Verizon as my provider. My first choice is the LG VX8300. Anybody had any experience with this particular pairing?
  • mortal1mortal1 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering getting a luxury car, for the adaptive cruise control. As most RLs come with adaptive cruise control, I'd like to ask yall about your experiences with it. Does it make a great deal of difference on long highway/interstate jogs? Is it, in your opinion, a game changer?
  • eddieboyeddie1eddieboyeddie1 Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2006 RL with the teck package, it been good so far, has a rattle on the right side of the dash of which Acura seems not to want to address, went in for one recall with the master cyclinder, vehicle only has 50,000 on it, my only regret is the resale, not good at all, so we'll just keep it, one thing is for sure, I will never buy a new car of this type again since you can get a used one cheap, milage is so so around town, out on the open road it pretty good but not great