Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The 97 model year had an extremely short run, only about 4 months or so. It was replaced by a very early 98 Windstar.

Ford had been losing business due to the lack of a driver's side sliding door. Although the addition would require a major structural redesign, they were able to compensate (so they hoped) by rushing the 98 model year into production, It had a wider driver's door, called the "King Door" The idea was that the wider door, coupled with a drivers seat that could slide forward, would enable you to use the door for access to the rear, similar to a 2 door sedan/coupe.

The 97's are supposed to have been the more reliable of the Windstars. By then, changes were made to the transmission to make it more reliable. The 3.0L engine didn't have the cylinder head gasket problems that the 3.8L engine had either. You can still look forward to electrical problems, not serious, but a royal pita.

I had a 96 Windstar that gave me very good service for about 100,000 miles. It was still going strong when I sold it.
  • aminutzaminutz Member Posts: 2
    I noticed the the 97's don't get mentioned much but didn't realize it was a short model run. Are they actually more reliable or is it just that there are less of them to break? Just to make all of you feel a bit better Here is a Caravan story. My Stepfather's 2000 had the transmission and engine go at the same time. This was his 3rd transmission in this vehicle. Thought you would like to see that its not just the Fords.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    They seem to have incorporated all of the improvements that Ford had made and were basically the same vehicle as prior years so there weren't too many assembly bugs. The major transmission problem at that time was with a forward clutch piston which had originally been made of aluminum and was prone to fracture and fail. For 1996, the piston was replaced by a stainless steel one which cut down drastically on failures. The cooling and head gaskets on the 1996-97 3.8L engines were also revised, cutting down on gasket failures. I had a late-build 1996 and it proved to be a very reliable vehicle, right up to the time that I sold it.

If I remember correctly, the Consumer Reports Frequency of Repair records also showed that year to be more reliable than those preceding or following.
  • bdbomberbdbomber Member Posts: 10
    This van was by far the Worst vehicle I've ever owned . Since we bought it it was taken back 26 times. If I didn't have the extended warranty I would have been bankrupt.I had the tranny fixed 3 times and once relpaced. The door ajar alarm was taken in for bad sensors, switches about 7 times. I talked to both the dealer and Ford reps and they basically said Too Bad! We'll since Ford doesn't stand behind their products I just purchased a japanese made van. Ford has lost another customer!!!
  • mted23mted23 Member Posts: 16
    My wife and I are the new owners of a 2000 Windstar SE. We purchased the vehicle at a Chicago area Carmax. I read through most of the posts here regarding the Windstar. We felt that for the price and safety of the Windstar we could not go wrong. The van has 30,000 miles on it and after researching the VIN went ahead and purchased. We did purchase an extentded warranty to give us peace of mind. We have only had the van for a few days but the initial impression is good. BTW, Carmax was very easy to deal with.
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    I posted a while about a tire shaking problem. At highway speeds while turning, the tires would shimmy even though I held the steering wheel still. It also pulled to the left. I brought it in to a Tires Plus and they diagnosed the problem as a "tight tire bead". I've never heard of this, but I needed new tires anyway, so I purchased new ones. Has anyone ever heard of a "tight tire bead"? They said it's the way the tired was manufactured. The steel bead was wrapped to tight. It's one of those explanations where I'm not sure if it's bull or the truth.
  • roadrascalroadrascal Member Posts: 35
    but they may be right, I'm not sure. I do know that when I took my Windstar into Tires Plus for a tire balance and rotation, the brake rotors warped about a week later. Coincidence? Could be. With 31,000 on the van and the fact that Ford rotors are pretty flimsy maybe not. All I know is that the brakes worked fine until I had TP rotate and balance the tires.... I never had a problem with TP before.
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    Well, my transmission fluid has started to leak! Seems like its coming from somewhere on the driver's side drive shaft. I've added one of those transmission no leak bottles and it has not helped. The leak is relatively small right now, but now my driveway is no longer oil-free! :(

I will be taking it in to the dealer in the very short future. Unfortunately I don't have the extended warranty.

Also, my steering/suspension seems to squeak very loudly on left turns. Seems like around the transmission leak.

Finally, my windshield wiper fluid indicator goes on everytime I use the fluid. I overfilled it when I didn't realize it was still full! I can live with that though.
  • simonrockssimonrocks Member Posts: 1
    :bank 1 stuck open, and same with bank two stuck open. codes P1537 and P1538 check engine light codes. This is the 3.8liter engine. Dealer wants $500 to replace one (there are two but they say its usually only one causing both codes to show). $300 for the part, $200 for labor. The van is idling a bit rough and will occasionally stall when coming to a stop. Runs fine on the highway. Anyone else out there having this problem? Any info on it?
  • bgoldsworthybgoldsworthy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Winstar with 55K, and I really like the way it performs. I have not had much in the way of mechanical problems, other than some front end parts...a little surprised at this...tie rods are getting squeeky and I had an idler arm or something like that replaced under warrenty. Big problem is the gas consumption around town. I do not have a heavy foot, and there is usually no big load, other than maybe a passenger or two. I have been tracking this, and I am getting at best 12 miles per gallon around town. I am now saving gas receipts at the suggestion of the dealer, as they suggested this is not normal. It has been like this since I bought the van two years ago with 16K on it. Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? This is way below what the ratings suggest I should be getting. Not nearly as bad on the highway. How can I fix it?
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    My 2000 Windstar LX gets rotten mileage also. Several reprograms of the computer and changes of electronic modules have helped it slightly. I get about 14-15 around town and not much better on the highway. My 4WD Chevy Tahoe gets better mileage.
  • sudsysudsy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 windstar SEL 3 weeks ago, have 600 miles on it. As I was driving it home I sensed a LOT of noise in the car. Every time I stepped on the accelerator it "sounded" like a rush of air coming in but without the breeze. I traded a 98 limited with 85,000 miles on it and feel they got the better deal. I notified the salesman of this noise and he said maybe something needed to "tighten up", uhuh. When idling and stepping on the gas and letting off you can hear the air intake opening and closing. My biggest question is, should there be insulation on the firewall as there is NONE. The road noise is also very annoying to say the least, so between the two annoyances, a normal level of conversation in the car is nil. The SEL, from my understanding is just a step down from the Limited and the extra price was cosmetic, am I wrong about this? HELP!!!
  • cheesehead5cheesehead5 Member Posts: 1
    This 2000 sel I've owned for just about a year and this last week was the first time I've driven in the snow and first time in a vehicle with trac cont. When the front tires spin apparently the traction control is linked to anti-lock brakes that they feel can some how help to correct the spin. Raised in Wis and driving in snow my whole life I don't need the help. The question I have for anyone out there with this van does this feature sound like some kind of rhythmic grind. Like something is terribly wrong, the ironic thing is when I hear this god awful noise my foot comes off the gas and the tires gain traction anyway. The dealer says this is normal due to the unfortunate placement of the unit right under the drivers feet. Though due to my chronic mistrust of car dealers especially Ford I'm reaching out to you. This is my first Windstar so for comparisons I drove a 2003 and trac cont was silent in comparison.
    Is this sound consistent with this year and model or should I press the issue with the dealer. 6 months left on warranty.
  • gleigh103gleigh103 Member Posts: 1
    I am an unhappy Ford owner. At 44,000 miles and 2.5 years old, my brake rotors had to be replaced because they were to thin. The paint is peeling off my roof rack rails. The power steering rack and pump is leaking that will cost $2000 to replace. Since it is past the warranty period, Ford is unwilling to shoulder any responsibility. I am going to get rid of it as soon as I can. Ford is using inferior materials to save weight and it shows up later on. If you buy a Ford, you should opt for the extended warranty. I recommend a Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey.
  • lareslares Member Posts: 4
    There is a vacuum valve on the left side of the engine: Part number CK-2259 is just to the rear of the alternator (it is easy to see). I don't know what this is called actually but it is controlled by a small vacuum hose on the top, has an electrical connection on the side and a linkage to what appears to be the rear head. It is held on by 2 screws. When the idle drops down, this valve is activated and pulls on the linkage thus preventing the engine from stalling. It took me all of 15 minutes to get it off and $200 from the dealer for a replacement part!! (bunch of thieves - no return or warranty unless their technician would do the work and they want 2-3 work hours) To test the valve with the engine off, disconnect the vacuum hose on the top, push the linkage in and put your finger on the opening for the vacuum hose to create a seal. The linkage should stay in. If it comes out you need a new valve.
  • roadrascalroadrascal Member Posts: 35
    the lower intake manifold is one piece. Our '96 had the same problem, and it was replaced twice under warranty (had an extended warranty). This seems to be a common problem, not only with the 3.8 enigne, but also with the 3.0 24 valve motor that's common with the Taurus, Sable, and others. It's a poor design and most of the time it's caused by carbon buildup that keeps the butterfly valves from closing fully. On our Windstar, the IMRC seals failed (o-rings on the shafts) which should be a $.20 part, but due to Ford's ingenious engineering, the whole lower intake needs to be replaced. I have a small writeup about it on my site under the 'Ford 3.8 headgasket failures' section at www.geocities.com/tekyle2000. See if the dealer can kick in the part for free and you pay the labor.
  • carpool3carpool3 Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2000 Windstar. When it reached the 20M mile mark we have had nothing but trouble. On one particular day the car just would not start. I called roadside assistance and after a few days in the shop the car was returned to me only for the same thing to happen again....and then 3 times over. Ford claims this is all due to minor mechanical problems. However my 5 year old waiting for mom to pick him up at school in 30 degree weather will not understand this..nor does mom want to make him wait due to a car that won't start...... yet we still pay close to $600 a month for!!!!! Finally a new starter was put into the car but I still need to jimmy the steering wheel at times to get it to start. If this isn't enough the rear passenger door sudenly came ajar on me while driving on the highway with my youngest child susseptable to this danger sitting in the back seat. No answer on this yet. I'm very disturbed, wooried for safety and wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems?
  • robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    Am looking at buying a used van for my wife as our lease is up in Jan. Have been considering a 2000 Windstar lx/sel as the used prices seem to have dropped through the floor on these vehicles. Apparently there are a lot coming off lease. I am starting to get concerned about the reliability in relation to transmissions/water pumps etc. I hate spending upwards of 1500.00 for an extended warranty but am thinking that might be almost a necessity with this vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • uicfeuicfe Member Posts: 1
    '99 Windstar LX is a piece of junk. First, the passenger window wouldn't open all the way down - fixed under warranty. Then, the fuel pump died at 40K miles - $500. Front brake rotors too thin - $400. Rear speakers come on/off with every bump. Now, at 57K the transmission is shifting roughly from 1st to 2nd and the O/D light flashes - about $2000, rebuilt.

And to think I bought this thing to safely carry my family around. I've had Honda cars all my life and never had problems. I gave Ford a chance with the minivan, thinking they've learned their lesson regarding quality and because Honda dealers got too arrogant for my taste when we were looking at the Oddysey. I will never give Ford another chance.

• antonio95antonio95 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 LX, and have been reasonably happy with it, although we only have 10k miles so far. We have two minor problems which I wanted to see if anyone else had them as well. While waiting for a red light, with the foot on the brake and the van in drive, we get a surging of the engine that you can feel through the steering wheel, and see the tach jump up 250 to 500 rpms. Doens't happen in Park, only in drive. My other niggling problem is a crunching suspension that "crunches" or clicks into place when starting out, but doesn't happen again until the car has been parked for a while and I start out again. Dealer says they couldn't replicate it, but it is happening with more frequency now. Will take it in in a month or so, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems. Thanks!
  • vezini2003vezini2003 Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I have a three month old 2002 SEL Windstar. My Windstar is starting to have a problem with stalling. The problem occurs after I have driven the car for an hour or so, then turn it off for a short time, then when I re-start the engine, it often stalls. The only way to keep it from stalling is to increase RPM's to around 2K. This is an issue in that when I approach a stop light I have to place the car into neutral and give it some gas to keep it from stalling.

So far the vehicle has been at the dealer a total of five days and they cannot replicate the problem. They did give me a loaner, so they are trying to give me good service.

I sure would appreciate any advice!!! The can't duplicate problem answer is getting sour.

Thanks!

Vezini
  • doobiedoobie Member Posts: 5
    1999 REVERSE SENSOR STOPS WORKING WHEN SHIFTED INTO REVERSE. SLIDING DOOR DOES NOT CATCH PROPERLY AT REAR LATCH THUS DOOR IS NOT FLUSH WITH BODY SIDE.

THESE PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN FIXED BY FORD BEFORE. THE CAR IS NOW OUT OF WARRANTY. I need help.

Please advise.
  • scattershieldscattershield Member Posts: 11
    I have anti-freeze leaking from my front cover. I was told this external leak may become internal?? Has anyone come across this before? The mechanic also said Ford has a goodwill program for certain issues. This one sounds uncommon but would like to hear any thoughts on the leak.
    Thanks, me
  • vvthiruvvthiru Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys,
    I am using Ford Taurus for last 5 years and
    was impressed and satisfied with it's performance and hence decided
    to go in for Ford Windstar as we wanted a van because of our two kids. I got a new 2002 Windstar
    just two weeks back for a very good price. The sales people were desperately trying to impress me
    with the Dual Automatic Power Sliding Door feature with a built-in sensors for child safety.
    I initially went to Frontier Ford at San Jose and had a look at the vehicle and while trying to test the above mentioned jazzy feature my hand got
    stuck in the sliding door and was not at all able to
    pull my hand out and luckily the sale's guy immediately deactivated by jumping into the van pressing a switch. I had to scream for help. My
    right hand little finger was badly hurt and was bleeding. To my shock they did not even carry any
    on-site First Aid kit. I immediately left that premises, saying that I will get back to them later. Couple of days later we went to Capitol Ford again at San Jose and got the new 2002 Windstar as we got a very good deal. Here I did not
    have the courage again to test the feature,so I asked the sales guy to test it for me and it was ok at that time. So I thought, that one particular piece ( where i got hurt ) might be defective and hence got the vehicle. But today,
    while loading my infant into the van, my wife accidently closed the side door where I was and it
    hit my ribs very very hard and the door did not stop or move back ( as it is supposed to do because of safety and sensors ) and I had to struggle my way out. My ribs are still paining as
    I write this post. I want to know whether anybody else has faced this problem and their experience with it. What recourse I can get and from where ?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • psmorganjrpsmorganjr Member Posts: 1
    wthiru - you ask "What recourse I can get and from where ?" I suggest you submit a complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at their web site - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ - - - Then contact a lawyer for advice on recourse.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I had a 95 Windstar. It had the timing cover gasket replaced for coolant leak. Check alldata.com for recalls on your 96. This leak was a common problem on 95's and probably 96's. The internal leak is related to the headgasket leaking internally and slowly killing the engine do to coolant being in the oil. Most of the "good will" programs expired by now. e-mail me if you need more info. I lived with a 95 Windstar bought new and bought back by FORD at age 6.
  • 626dan626dan Member Posts: 1
    Engine Light on my 99 SEL keeps going off. Had O2 sensors replaced and now mass flow sensor. Any other ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of auto parts stores will now pull the codes for free. Or is that how you figured to replace the O2 and MAP sensors?

Steve, Host
  • larynlaryn Member Posts: 1
    I have 75,300 miles on my '96 Windstar. I have found oil in my radiator recovery tank. No water is noticed in the crankcase; Am I heading for trouble with a big repair bill? What are my options.
    Please help. thanks.
    Larry N.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    3.8, right? Unfortunatley, you are looking at a failed engine gasket: either a head or timing cover. Either way, it's about the same amount of labor so you may as well bank on a full upper engine gasket replacement job. The first thing to do: STOP DRIVING IT! NOW! Although you might not see antifreeze in the oil, there could be trace elements in there, or the leak could be about to increase and cause more liquid exchanges. Antifreeze contacting engine bearings will destroy them. Before you plunk down any money for repairs, be certain that you havent heard any ominous knocking or severe pinging recently; this would be a sign that your bearings are already on their way out. Has the vehicle overheated? This is another scary problem that can complicate things. I assume you have had a mechanic determine that there is indeed motor oil in the coolant, and not some other type of sludge? If so, you're looking at about a $500 to $800 repair job. You'll want to purchase a QUALITY (Fel-Pro, etc) upper engine gasket set from a parts store, plus new head and intake bolts. Find a good mechanic who's up to the task, and let him know you want all upper engine gaskets replaced. Insist that he 1.COMPLETELY drains all coolant from the motor before pulling the intake or heads 2. checks the heads+intake for straightness according to Ford specs before reassembly 3. uses YOUR gaskets and bolts you supplied (so he won't be tempted to go with the cheapest line of parts to save $$$) 4. torques all bolts according to specs and using correct procedure 5. changes oil TWICE after reassambly (to remove traces of coolant from the oil). If these steps are followed, you can probably get another 50-75,000 miles out of the van before dealing with the gaskets again. Maybe more, as many of the better aftermarket parts manufacturers have actually reingineered and improved the design of the original Ford gaskets for better longevity. One note: if your mechanic does find coolant in the oil upon intitial inspection, you might want to take a deep breath and decide just how much you really like the van. If the bearings are already contaminated, you're probably looking at a new motor in about a year, which would cost nearly the value of the van. You might be better off selling it as a mechanics special for $800-$1500 and using that money towards downpayment of a newer more reliable vehicle. Good luck!
  • cxbgmailcxbgmail Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 1995 Windstar GL. The one option that it didn't have that I wanted was the center console.

Can anyone point me to (or email me at bgmail@yahoo.com) a picture of a Windstar 1995 center console?

If I can find one in a junk yard, will it be difficult to install? How integral is it with the dash?

Are there any third party options I should consider instead of OEM?

Thanks!
    Try this eBay link for a pic:

"GRAY"Center Console for "95-99" WINDSTAR.

If that doesn't look right, try a search there in the closed auctions for other photos. I don't see any for sell there in the current auctions.

Steve, Host

We purchased a 2000 Windstar SE right after Thanksgiving. We have put about 1500 miles on it and are generally happy. We got a pretty good deal on the van. It had 29,000 miles on it. Based on what I have read on this board and others we purchased the extended warranty. The only problem is the power drivers seat went out this weekend. It will be covered under the warranty. The last tank of gas was 17mpg with about 85% city driving. Does anybody out there have anything good to say about the Windstar?
    Well, I also own a 2000 SE with 60K+ miles on it. My average mpg is about 17, with my worse tank at about 15 and my best I think was 24 (this one was obviously highway).

I really like the look of my van. I have the sprucegreen or whatever it is called. The power from the engine is GREAT! Of course it is the strongest vehicle I've had the opportunity to drive.

My power driver seat has not had any problems, yet.

Might I had that you did yourself a good thing by buying that extended warranty. You don't want to hear about my bad news next...
    My 2000 SE has been fairly troublefree for the 62K or so I have on it. But just last Friday, my transmission stopped working! Reverse works, but drive doesn't. I had mentioned before that my transmission started a slight leak around Novemeber, so I added a bottle of that no leak stuff. It stopped leaking in December.

Anyways, had it towed to my dealer. They estimate about $2300 for parts and labor and will be fixed by this Tuesday! I think that's rather fast, like they are so used to this repair. Oh yeah, I didn't get the extended warranty which probably would have cost me the same as this repair.

I'm also having my engine light that recently turned on checked out. As well as a squeaky noise from the steering/transmission.

Other problems I'm not fixing yet include my wiper fluid light turning on when the tank is not empty or low, my front heater selector doesn't seem to select heat, and my cruise control doesn't work! :(

Anyways, I'll fill in more details of my repair later.
    You could have left the bad news out. Has you trans been serviced until this point? I am glad I bought the extended warranty. Good luck with your reparis.
  • bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    mted23: I've got about 75K on my 2000 SE. The torque converter was replaced just outside the factory warranty (It would shudder and clunk). Fortunately I had just bought an extended warranty (5yr/100k). All the power options (seats, mirrors, side door) still work. Other then the torque converter, the van has been quite reliable. We do alot of highway traveling and get around 19-23 mpg on average.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    All things considered our 3 Stars have been very good. The 95 went 135K till a red light runner hit it. The 99 replaced it but I really just got it cause I needed a van right away and the price was good. We just picked up a 2000 SEL and it is very, very sweet, Only 23k on it and power everything. It is a Ford Certified so it came with a 6/75 power train warranty but I upped to the 6/100K warranty. With all the electronics these days it pays to get the warranty. On servicing the transmission I found that Ford calls for a major transmission service every 30k, not 60 like it used to be. Most people do not do the maintenance on them. The 95 was known for a bad transmission but until mine was hit it was just fine. I pull all the maintenance s required and it does pay for itself. My only concerns are the power doors. I have heard they are a problem with the 2000 but I have three years of coverage so I am not going to worry about it now. It seems it is either all or nothing with the Windstar. They are either all good or all bad. So far all good for me. Oh yes, I get about 22 MPG on average.
  • jingalls1jingalls1 Member Posts: 1
    JUST TO LET ANYONE KNOW THE 98 WINDSTAR IS AN ALL AROUND JUNK. I HAVE READ QUITE A FEW POSTINGS AND HAVE HAD ALOT OF PEOPLE PROBLEMS WITH MY OWN VAN SUCH AS :HARD SHIFTING TRANSMISSION (WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS NORMAL),POWER STEERING PUMP WAS NOISE (WAS TOLD THIS WAS NORMAL ON MOST 98'S, POWER MIRROR SWITCH WAS REPLACED, INTERIOR LIGHTS ALWAYS STAYING ON (HAD ALL SENSORS REPLACED 2 TIMES AND STILL DOES IT OCCASIONALLY. OIL IN THE RADIATOR WAS TOLD IT WAS THE WATER PUMP ( HAD THAT REPLACED ALONG WITH CRACKED INTAKE RETAINING CLIP (PARTS 200.00 LABOR 1000.00) TO END THIS HEADACHE I WENT TO PORTSMOUTH NH USED FORD TO TRADE IT IN FOR A 2000 AND UP WHEN WE CHOSE ONE AND WAS READY TO TRADE IN THE SALESMEN SAID HE WOULD GIVE ME 2800.00 FOR MINE BECAUSE 98 ARE KNOWN FOR HEAD GASKETS AFTER 100K. SO TO ME IT Doesn't LOOK LIKE FORD WANTS TO STAND BEHIND THERE JUNK. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THIS WAS MY FIRST FORD AND WILL BE MY LAST. I GUESS THE SAYING IS TRUE FORD STANDS FOR FOUND ON ROAD DEAD. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ON 98S I'LL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW ABOUT ALL MY ISSUES WITH THEM AND FORD. FORD BLOWS
    Well, it ended up costing me $3600 for the final bill. About 2400 for the transmission repair and another $1000 for additional engine repair. It wasn't bad enough I had a transmission problem, but my engine light turned out to be a crack in my lower intake manifold. This particular repair seems typical of what I have seen posted before.
  • mslmnmslmn Member Posts: 13
    I HAVE A 99 SE WITHOUT ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS SO FAR BUT... A WEEK AGO, WHEN THE REAL COLD WEATHER STARTED IN NJ, THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND HAS BEEN ON. I FOLLOWED EVERYTHING THE MANUAL STATES FOR A PERSON TO DO IN CASE THE LIGHT COMES ON WITHOUT ANY SUCCESS. I HAVE AN APPT. TO CHECK IT OUT, BUT MEANWHILE ANYONE ELSE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM? ANY IDEAS AS TO WHY? ANY RECALLS, THAT I DID NOT HEAR ABOUT?
    THANKS.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    FWIW - Three years on a Ford and cold weather sets in... I would speculate one of the Oxygen Sensors, however, the only REAL way to know is to dump the computer code. Check with your local Auto Parts CHAIN (one of the biggies like NAPA or CHECKER). Some of them will read and interpret the code for you.

Good Luck!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • joebobsterjoebobster Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i would like to share an experience and then ask a couple of questions...

my 99 le has been running perfectly for the last 3.5 years..55k miles ...babied and well taken care of..imagine my surprise when the power steering pump starting grinding and finally gave out....then the engine light went on...the dealer said i needed a new power steering pump ($400) and a new EGR valve ($400) whatever that is...i asked the service guy if this is normal and what i could have done to prevent this...he indicated that service manual recommends changing the power steering fluid at 35k miles, and an induction service for the EGR at 20k miles....i told him i dont recall those items ever being in there, as i have followed it religiously...he insisted it was....SO I CHECKED...and it is not...and i checked the website and it isnt there either...so i confronted him and asked what was going on....he indicated the Ford has TWO SERVICE SCHEDULES....one for those who buy the warranty and one for everyone else....and that if i had BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY that this could have been prevented....I asked to speak to the Service Manager..and he confirmed this....so I then asked the manager if i could expect to replace the power steering pump and EGR every 55k miles...costing me $800...he said no...which i dont understand how he can say that....anyway i called customer service and they said i should submit my paperwork to see if Ford will cover it...since my point is....this is INSANE that this much work will be required for technically a new car...my relative (who used to work at Ford Cust Service) indicated that i would be lucky if Ford picked up half...but i am going to push for more...Ford is not doing that well...and i guarantee this will be the last Ford i own if i continue to have repairs...the 3k dollar savings off the Oddysee certainly doesnt seem like much any more...if this continues...i will have to cut my losses, dump it, cough up, and buy something more reliable, such as the Sienna or Oddysee...anyway here are my questions based on this experience:

1. Can this be True on the dual Warranty Schedules?

2. Why should I have to pre-pay repairs for a $25k vehicle...which is essentially what you are doing when you get the so called extended warranty...just so i can make sure the BRILLIANT ENGINEERS AND MANAGERS AT FORD didnt screw something up along the way? Apparently, according to many GM engineers this is normal, and that this is common among all makes except ..."they dont get the publicity"...yea right..

3. What would a warranty cost to get it on my vehicle?

4. Relative to what I am reading on other posts...how I can i be sure the trans is going?...(before i have to take it in for repairs)...i want to dump this car as soon as this arises..as i dont have $3-$5k to repair it...rather invest that money in a new vehicle)

Thanks for all your help...looking forward to the moderators opinions as well as others...
    We don't have "moderators" here, just hosts, but I'm happy to throw my .02 in :-)

I've not heard of an "extended warranty service schedule" I don't think. There's often two factory service schedules - one for normal driving and one for severe driving.

And most dealers try to talk people into doing more maintenance than the minimum required by the factory schedule; some of the extra service may be a good idea -- other stuff is just a profit center for the service department.

You can also check The Edmunds Maintenance Guide for maintenance schedules - all I see off-hand is biannual inspections of the power steering fluid and nothing about the EGR valve (they do fail though and can cause pinging, etc.).

Before you go back to the dealer, you may want to get another opinion and quote from an independent mechanic. Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Wow, that different-warranty-service-schedule is a load. NO manufacturer recommends steering fluid replacement or EGR service under 50,000 miles! I would certainly take down in writing a factual account of that conversation and let someone higher-up at Ford know about this service manager. I would also recommend looking for a more reputable Ford dealer (or a good independent mechanic, since the van is out of warranty) to do the work, as I wouldnt place much faith in a guy who tells you stuff like that. Regardless, you will most likely have to pay for the repairs out-of-pocket unless a miracle happens with the Ford arbitration department. Your only chance is with the EGR valve, as that could possibly be interpreted as an emmissions-related part (which I believe most manufacturers are federally requires to warranty up to around 60,000 miles? Am I correct on that anybody?) One note about the EGR valve: before having it replaced, make very clear to whomever technician does the repairs that you want to be CERTAIN that the EGR valve is indeed the problem. The reason? Many lazy technicians will read a computer code, for example "EGR valve not closing fully," and immediately start ringing up a bill for a new EGR valve. But the valve itself is rarely the culprit. A rich running condition, a malfunctioning EGR solenoid or vaccuum device, or even oil consumption (which along with running rich can cause carbon buildup in the EGR pintle) can all give a bad EGR code to the main computer. SO make clear to your tech that you want a full diagnostic check, which includes (NOT ONLY!) extracting the error code, doing a full visual inspection of the suspected area (looking for obvious causes like cracked vac lines), and, after removing the offending part, asking himself the tough questions like "is there something else that caused this part's failure?" Let him understand that you do not wish to pay for replacement of parts that aren't faulty, and are willing to pay for a thorough diagnosis in exchange for getting the repair right the first time. Be friendly but firm, take the time to explain your problem and how you think it should be handled, ask for his input, and above all: Find somebody you trust and stick with him!
    As far as the transmission, are you asking about a problem you are having? The best thing you can do for late-model Ford transaxles is change the fluid and filter, according to manual specs, around every 30,000 miles.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    This should be covered by the emissions warranty. Most go for 70k or something like that regardless of the age of the vehicle. I also would find a new dealer.
  • mslmnmslmn Member Posts: 13
    IT END UP BEING THE GASKET! I HAD IT REPLACED AND SO FAR SO GOOD! LET'S SEE WHAT FOLLOWS NEXT. ACCORDING TO THE WARRANTY PREFERRED MECHANIC, MY 1999 VAN WITH ONLY 32K IS IN TOP SHAPE. LET'S KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED.
  • chalupnychalupny Member Posts: 39
    You seemed happy that it was just the gasket! Sounds like you are still under warranty - or had an extended warranty. The check engine light came on in our '99 Windstar SE yesterday. Took it in today and was also told that the intake manifold was losing vacuum because of a leaking gasket. They are replacing the manifold gasket as well as the manifold bolts that have special o-ring seals on them. $440 bucks! Man what a rip-off. This van has 51,000 miles on it and we have taken care of it very well - change the oil every 3000 miles and get the recommended service done. We've had no major problems like transmission problems - but we've had trouble since the van was new. We have had to run premium fuel in the thing since it was new to keep it from knocking. Have had to replace the alternator, the starter, and a few other things. Some of these problems stranded us and we had to have the thing towed. Now this. I like the way the Windstar drives - but I'll never buy a Ford again - ever. I hope to keep this vehicle for another 2 or 3 years, but I don't have a high level of confidence it will go that long befoe something happens that will cost thousands to repair. Live and learn.
  • bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    mslmn: The check engine light on our 2000 se with 77ki miles came on the other day. I had the codes dumped at a local AutoZone. There were 2 codes pointing to the oxygen sensors, bank 1 and bank 2. The tech at the store said it will cause the engine to run either lean or rich, but nothing major. What codes did you get when you brought yours in?
    Just wanted to add that my transmission seemed to have failed without warning. Was driving just fine on the way home, and stopped engaging when I 'went' on a green light at an intersection. It never got stuck or made any wierd noises until it just stopped working.

I suppose that the light leak in transmission fluid just 2 months before could be related.
This discussion has been closed.