Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Did you ask the mechanic exactly how he discovered the gaskets were leaking air? Not that he's obligated to tell you, but air+vacuum leaks aren't easily pinpointed just by reading codes. Also, if you had an intake leak bad enough to cause pinging you would also have some idle problems. Hunting up and down at a stoplight, etc. When you go for that second opinion, make sure you communicate the first mechanics recommendation and ask the second if he can verify the leak. The other stuff sounded pretty straightforward, but you might be able to get it done cheaper elsewhere. Good luck, driveability problems can be tough.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    The only thing I have had to get fixed on my 00 was an air/gasket leak that sounds a lot like the one mentioned. The way I knew there was a problem was the emissions light came on because it was messing with the air/fuel mixture. If this is the same problem then the light should come on.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Thanks for your reply. I apologize for taking so long to get back. I'm glad the reflash was no big deal then. I've been reading the other posts, sounds like our around town mileage is fairly normal at approximately 17.5 mpg. We are currently on our first trip with the van, we drove about 375 miles yesterday and still have just a little under a 1/4 tank left, according to the gauge anyway. I can't wait to fill it up today to see what the highway mileage is. It should be over 20 mpg.

Over than the crosswind induced sway and it being a little underpowered in the mountains, I was pleased with how well it handled the demands of traveling with two small children. I'm not much of a minivan fan, but it may win me over yet. :)
    Speaking of sway - Does anyone know where I can get a sway bar for this van? I've tried all of our local parts stores and even directly contacted a couple of manufacturers, nobody seems to make one for this van.
    Yep, 17 to 18 seems right. You are in for a little shock when you go to fill the van up since it is a 26 gallon tank. At a quarter tank you have about 6 gallons left so at 1.50 a gallon it will be about $30 to fill it up now but let it get way down and it costs a bundle. But then again it is about average so no matter what van you drive it is not cheap to really fill a fairly empty tank.
    We use our van for Greyhound Adoption events and we are responsible for what we call our store. It is all the things we use to sell things to make some money for the group. We go to PA, WV and some long trips in VA and it is full. I mean up to the ceiling. I tried to figure the load once and I came up with about 600 to 700 pounds of "stuff". 200 HP is enough to get it up the mountains of PA and WV with some shifting to third on the long ( 2 to 3 mile) climbs and it handles fairly well. After all, it is not a Z4. All in all a good van. Hope you enjoy it.
    Oh yeah, I was a little shocked on the first fill up! Our last car, a '95 Cougar, only took about $18 to fill up. But I drive a 1 ton, so $60 fill ups are routine. I haven't actually crunched the numbers, but 377.8 miles on 18.132 gallons will give me a little under 21 mpg, I can live with that.

I guess my comments on the van being underpowered shows my point of perspective. Obviously the mountains are no trouble for the truck, but even the Cougar had the 4.6L V-8. We had to cross Mont Eagle twice, going and coming back. The Cougar would never even downshift, in fact would even moderately accelerate going up without downshifting. But, considering the Cougar probably outhorsepowered the van by a good 50 to 75 hp and the van outweighs the Cougar probably by 750lbs, maybe even 1k, it did a really good job.

The boys really handled the nine hour trip really well and I think we have the van to thank for that. :) And you know, I still have my sanity!!
  • ramouramou Member Posts: 84
    I saw a 1999 or 2000 Windstar the other day with running boards that had the light that's usually on it. Does anyone have running boards on their Windstar? It looked good and I would've tried to ask the driver where he got it from except he was way ahead of me in traffic. Does this have to be a dealer installed item or could it be after market?
  • hungnguyenhungnguyen Member Posts: 1
    I bought it brand new and Here is the problem I have with my Windstar

1. Knocking when accelerated.. Fixed under warranty
    2. recalled
    3. Driver Sliding door leaking it's been fix 4 time (as of today) .. Thank Beach Ford to fix it free but I just wonder if it's defect and need to do some about it...
    4. Gas when drive city was a problem.. ONLY 12/14 mpg/gal... I talked to Ford service dept but they seem it's normal..

I want to trade for Japanese minivan but the value was soooo low... I don't think I ever want to buy American Car anymore because the value was so low.
  • chucksmithchucksmith Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Windstar SEL with 11,000 mi.that really is a fine car and I love it, but, the brakes grunt. The dealer has worked on this problem and they did solve it for a few miles, but they are back to their old grunts. Anybody else have this problem? Did you get it fixed?
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Did your Windstar get new pads and rotors trued or replaced? I have had this done on a Focus and a Windstar. Both times the replacements solved the noise problems. Also don't "baby" the brakes during break in.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    FORD claims to have installed a "new" transmission 4F50N in 2001 and newer Windstars. Is this a modified version of the earlier or a "new" transmission ? Has anyone had problems with 2001 and newer transmissions /
  • bmw4me2bmw4me2 Member Posts: 54
    I had a 2001 Windstar LX and the transmission went bad at about 45,000 miles. It first started to downshift very hard and then was slipping on acceleration.
  • kate48kate48 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought an 2002 Windstar lx, At first it was only getting 15.5 mpg then when we had to run the air conditioner all the time the mileage went to 14.8 mpg. A few weeks ago our local chevron changed hands and the mileage went way down to 12.5. I don't know if it is their gas or if my mileage is just going down. The beginning mileage was still a lot less than what others on the message board are getting. We went to Sacramento Sunday and gassed up there so I'm waiting to see what happens. Any ideas on why I'm getting less.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check your tire pressure lately? Noticed any other driveability issues (brake smells, lack of pep, etc.?).

Steve, Host
  • jay238jay238 Member Posts: 13
    is there ANYONE with a 1995 windstar that they are happy with or have had minimal repairs? Not ALL of them were doomed for failure, right? i bought a new 1995 and the only thing done to it was the head gasket recall -no other repairs. tons of city driving and lots of cargo hauling and people around the country, now with 176,000 miles and runs really well! I'm actually happy with my 1995 Windstar....it's been put too good use!
    Anyone knows exactly how many gallons a 99 Windstar tank holds? The book says 26 gallon, My wife drives it and fills it up but she fills up dollar amount not gallon,she doesn't care about gallon, only dollar, she doesn't let it go to empty so I never know how much it holds. Also does everyone knows how to re-program the Transmission, it's actually simple. The transmission memorizes the consumer's driving habit and that memory is stored by the Battery but it gets errassed when the battery is disconnected. this is good to do if you buy a used one and you don't know anything about the last owner's driving habit, if u suddenly start driving the van different than how it's used to being driven, then you'll probably get a bad gas mileage. I did this when I bought my 99 Windstar with 65,000 miles about a month ago. It's like reprogramming your transmission to adjust to "your" driving habits. Turn off all the electronics in the car before you do this, including the radio and the A/C,cell phone plug...etc then disconnect the battery for "at least" one minute then reconnect it. Start the car and let it run for at least another minute, then drive it and the transmission will memorize your driving habits within a few hundred miles. So remember that everytime you disconnect the battery, the memory is errassed.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I may have to kill you.....

No, seriously that's great. Ford treated us like dirt through a tranny rebuild (known defect), timing chain cover gasket, valve cover gasket, head gasket (they eventually admitted fault there and paid us back), electrical failure that stopped all the power windows and interior lights - all in a 5,000 mile span. That's when I ran.

Now maybe if I took it from there I'd have hit a smooth coupel of years but I guess I'll never know and corporate Ford's attitude was abysmal. They treated us like dogs.

There has been another guy in here who had a friend with a 95 Windstar approaching 200,000 miles (didn't quite make it) so you aren't alone. Yours must have been built on a Wednesday...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I had a 95 with 135K on it till a fella ran a red light and totaled it about three years ago. It was good and I would still have it if not for the accident. Head gasket and a few minor problems. No tranny trouble. As FEZO said, it must have been built on a Wednesday. I had a 99 SE but sold it (no problems--long story) for a 2000 SEL and had a gasket for something to do with emissions go (under extended warranty) but other than that still fine. I have had it for a little over a year now.
    The transmission will make a "clunk" when shifting out of drive into neutral. And, there is a growl and vibration in the steering when turning the wheels sitting still with the engine idling. All fluids are up to spec. No obvious mechanical problems that would be visible. Anyone else had these issues and is there a fix?

I did a search, but only turned up one result with the tranny clunk and no responses.
    I do not think you have any problems. The vibration is simply the power steering having to work extra hard to move the wheels since it takes more power to do it. As to the clunk, all my windstars (95, 99, 00) make this sound. Do not think you have a problem, unless these are both really, really bad.
  • jay238jay238 Member Posts: 13
    The steering wheel on my 95 vibrates a little while turning the wheels at a stop, but more noticeable is a whining/growling noise while doing it. Most likely, that is my power steering pump that is about to die.........ahh well i'll just keep on driving until it gets unbearable or fails.
    Ford steering pumps are notoriously noisy. But that's more of an annoyance than a real problem. Just keep an eye on your fluid levels and you're probably OK
    The clunk in the tranny I figured was probably fairly normal, but an annoyance. The growl in the power steering pump does concern me. I've never had one make that noise before. It's a completely different setup, but the Superduties have had some problems with their PS pumps going out. They all made a growling noise prior to kicking the bucket.

Oh well, I guess that's what extended warranties are for.
  • dlarkinsdlarkins Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same blinking light problem in my van. After many attempts at repair, I have given up. The dealership could never figure it out. As for the leaky intake gasket, replacing it made a huge difference in the pinging and poor acceleration. Of course, it took the dealership 3 attempts to finally diagnose the problem. Currently my van in in the shop having the front struts and the transmission replaced. Thank goodness for the Ford EXP warranty...it has more than paid for itself. Tie rods have been replaced twice( gee ya think bad struts had anything to do with that?)rack has been replaced , tranny has been rebuilt twice (finally being replaced), a/c switches have been replaced(took care of the rear air coming on mysteriously)rear wiper has been replaced(kept falling off), the main light control has been replaced(took care of the headlights going off at inopportune times), the power steering pump has been replaced twice and the air intake valve controller has been replaced. All of this on a vehicle with less than 75K miles at 4 years...WOW...think next vehicle will be Japanese...I've had it with American made cars and the manufacturers refusal to own up to problems!!!
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Yes, you have have more than your share of problems. I think that your dealership is your biggest problem. For a dealership to give up when they can't solve/fix a problem is unacceptable and this should have been taken up with Ford at the highest levels. A bad dealer will only create more problem than they can solve. Good Luck.
    Sorry to hear about your (( Windstar problems, I have a 99 LX with 68K miles, I must agree with Justforfun2, I said the same thing he said before I even read his post which is that I think that your biggest problem is the dealer you're taking it to, there's no reason why a Transmission should be rebuilt twice then replaced on a car that has less than 75K miles on it, that's rediculous, they either never even opened the transmission in the first 2 times or they're just ripping you off, and I think most people on this post will agree with me, also your power steering pump was replaced twice....something is not right, you're definetly having electrical problems of some sort and unless they're effecting your mechanical parts then I don't know what to tell you, keep us posted and maybe try another dealer.Good luck
    just wanted to remind everyone with not to forget the schedule maintenance stuff, it's extreemly important for that engine, such as Transmission service (DON'T FLUSH THE RADIATOR COMPLETELY, JUST CHANGE THE FLUID IN THE PAN AND THE FILTER), radiator and engine block flush, PCV valve, belts and hoses, air filter, fuel filter. refer to your owner manual for additional stuff.ALSO READ MY PRIOR POST ABOUT RE-PROGRAMMING THE TRANSMISION.
  • mted23mted23 Member Posts: 16
    After reading several posts here and trying higher octane gas, fuel injector cleaner etc I had the computer reprogramed yesterday. Funny thing is the ping may be worse than before the reprogram. I guess now we look at the intake gasket? Any other suggestions?
  • tylerapextylerapex Member Posts: 14
    I had a 2000 SE and just traded in....I couldn't take the problems anymore. I've had to have the speed sensor on the transmission replaced, the fuel pump replaced (because the gas gauge broke), the idle valve replaced (van kept stalling with idle), power door lock on driver's side randomly worked (never did fix that), and the pinging problem you mentioned. I took it to the dealer for the pinging problem and they were able to use the OBD-II computer to diagnose the problem. They said the intake gasket needed to be replaced and wanted over $500 to do it. I did find a Quality Care authorized Ford Service Center NOT associated with a dealer in my area that does work for much cheaper so I'd try to find one of those. I never got it replaced so I can't tell if that actually fixed the problem or not. Sorry.
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    I've disconnected the battery to reprogram my transmission but it never seemed to work.

Just to clarify, does the Windstar have 4 or 5 gears? (I have 2000 SE) I always thought it was 5 gears (including overdrive), but I'm starting to think it is 4 gears. And that the 3rd to 4th shift that I think I'm seeing is something with the differential locking and unlocking.

I say this because I now have a 4 speed automatic Elantra GT that does this. The shift from 3rd into 3.5 changes the RPMs just slighty, then another shift into the real 4th gear. I know the Elantra is only 4 gears including the overdrive gear (being the 4th gear itself). I just thought the Windstar was 4 gears plus a 5th overdrive gear.
    It is a four speed, overdrive is the fourth gear. The "shift" you feel between third and fourth gear is the torque convertor lock up.
    What is it that you're trying to program? I've posted last week about this. The programming is simply the Transmission memorizing the driver's driving habits and adjusting to it. If you've been driving the van for a while before disconnecting the battery then you're not going to notice any difference because your driving habits are the same and they've been memorized. It's not going to shift any different that you would notice but it simply adjusts to your foot pressure and movement on the gas pedal so the transmission can adjust it's shifting. it takes a few hundred miles for the tranny to memorizes your driving habits sort of like it has to memorize a pattern. that's difficult to do if you and someone else drive the van. make sure all electronics are off before you do this and just drive the van as you would normal. Disconnect the battery for 60 seconds, reconnect it, start it up and let it run for 60 seconds, then drive the car.If you never disconnect the battery, the transmission would still adjust to your driving habits but it takes longer, so it's easier just to disconnect the battery if you just bought a used van so you can start with a fresh memory.
    I have an Windstar but this is a Non-Windstar question. my sister has a 95 Chrysler Lebaron with the 3.0 V6 engine. The transmission oil was changed twice in the past 4 month but it keeps turning black. Does anyone know what's causing it to turn black?
  • akishakish Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for copies of the above mentioned TSB's for 1995 Ford Windstar. Please email to andrew.kish@exxonmobil.com or post and let me know that you have it. Thanks,

Andy Kish
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    We have a 2000 SEL. When the A/C has been running for awhile, the cabin starts to smell like exhaust. The dealer caulked some seams (Ford's recommendation) but there was no effect.

I suspect that the smell is coming into the cabin from the rear compressor. It is very pungent and may have something to do with the catalytic converter on very hot (100+) days.

The automatic doors also fail on hot days, and there is a large “clunk” when shifting from R to D. I have been told these problems are endemic to the Windstar.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
  • kate2002kate2002 Member Posts: 4
    I wrote last month that my 2002 Ford Windstar gas mileage was going down. I bought it in March and it was getting 15.8, the dealer told me it would get 22. It has been getting worse the past few weeks and its down to 11.5. I took it in and had the oil changed, replace the air filter and had the brakes checked, they were just fine. Any suggestions?
    Sorry, but our guesses would be just that: guesswork. There are a hundred things that can cause bad gas mileage. It needs to be diagnosed by a mechanic; it's just not something you can do over the internet. Are there any other symptoms that have gone along with the bad MPG?
  • kate2002kate2002 Member Posts: 4
    When I wrote the first time the host said that low tires can effect the mileage. We checked the air pressure and it was 32, which is the norm for all our other cars for that size of tire. but when we looked closely at the tire it said 44psi so we raised it to 40 last night. Now its just wait and see. It runs real smooth, no other problems.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The number stamped on the sidewalls is the maximum pressure that the tire maker says is allowable.

The car manufacturer makes its own recommendation and tries to balance safety, handling, economy etc. The recommended pressure will be on a placard that's usually in your glove box or on the A pillar.

I don't recommend deviating a whole lot from Ford's recommended pressure, the Explorer fiasco notwithstanding.

More fuel economy tips here.

Steve, Host
  • coachripcoachrip Member Posts: 3
    In reply to the post "is there ANYONE with a 1995 windstar that they are happy with or have had minimal repairs? Not ALL of them were doomed for failure, right? i bought a new 1995 and the only thing done to it was the head gasket recall -no other repairs. tons of city driving and lots of cargo hauling and people around the country, now with 176,000 miles and runs really well! I'm actually happy with my 1995 Windstar....it's been put too good use!"

I bought a 95 LX in 96 one year old with 20, ooo miles, and had the head gasket redone by the dealer. I loved, .........that's loved, ....past tense, that van and had planned on driving it for about 150,000 miles.....................Always had it serviced, etc, ........at 90,000 miles, ......water pump is going, A/C is gone, had the switch replaced once, ........took three years to find the sensor that was keeping the interior lights on, warning bell ringing, until over 10 miles an hour, head gasket is blown AGAIN, transmission is slipping, .......

I used to bleed ford blue, ............but I'm no longer blue, .......shopping for Honda or toyota.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I have my 2002 Ford Windstar LX Deluxe. No major problems, and now over 18,000 miles. Some minor things, fuse problems (not a big deal), check engine light came up, but dealer says the computer just had to be 're-programmed', 2 bulbs replaced; but everything else seems fine.

Last month, my rear wiper got out of track, and when engaged, it turns a little and then goes down, hanging from the window. I must tell you that I'm taking good care of this car, and never use the wipers while it has weight on it (as snow, etc.)

I noticed that many Windstars have this problem. Driving on the road makes me feel that almost 40-50% Windstars don't have the rear wiper in place. That's why it's interesting to me that Ford will make no changes to the new upcoming Freestar and Monterey. I was sure that would be changed, with a stronger, more stable motor.

Any comments?
    I've noticed that too on a lot of Winstars- rear wiper dangling down the back door. Don't worry, though, Ford will fix it by 2010. They usually take about 10 years to fix a problem.
  • mted23mted23 Member Posts: 16
    Two weeks ago I posted that I had the computer reprogrammed to cure a pinging problem. It was actually worse after the reprogram. Two days later it was had to start and idle was real rough. The engine light finally came on. Took it to a different Ford dealer. The computer showed several codes. They replaced upper and lower intake gaskets, fuel regulator among other things. This repair cost $625 of which $525 was covered by an extended warranty. (Max Care from Carmax) The van is now running fine. Ping is gone for now. It did however just stall while going 35mph with no warning. It did start right up and has been fine for about 200 miles through some long traffic delays and high tempatures. Hopefully it will last 100,000 miles. Who knows. I won't buy another Freestar/Windstar.
    I had the same problem with my 99 rear wipers. All I did was unscrew the nut, repositioned the wiper arm, re-screw on the nut and it works great now. i guess the wipers arm just comes off the threaded track with time and vibration. Mine took me less than 2 minutes to re-adjust. if u take the wiper arm off and run the rear wipers, you'll see that the motor turns back and forth correctly. I also just got back from a 1990 mile trip in the mountain (from Florida to Tennessee in 6 days) the van drove great with 5 people and luggage up in the mountain with 70,000 miles. the best gas mileage was 24 MPG, the worst was 15 mpg driving around the Smokey Mountains (a lot of uphill driving and driving in 2nd gear). it didn't use any oil, coolant or transmission fluid knock on wood.
    I spoke with a transmission shop specialist and he agreed with me that he sees a lot of Windstars and Taurus come in his shop but his explanation was that this van can be driven around town forever and the transmission will never break down, until you take it out on the highway and drive it at 70 or 80mph for couple of hours. He said that some part inside the tranny( can't remeber what he called it) doesn't get exercised enough if the car is always driven in town but when u take it out on the highway, that part gets so hot and it melts and when u go to slow down to get off the exit or whatever, the transmission doesn't go anywhere. So my advice is to drive the van on the highway for extended periods periodically to prevent that from happening. I guess this part needs to be exercised often so it doesn't break down, that's why he said that it will drive in town forever without failing. he sees it mostly in lower mileage engines. I hope this didn't confuse anyone
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    There are sometimes which the Radio reception quality is very poor, and everything I'm doing just adding noise (zzzzzzzzz...) like when I'm signaling, or flashing high-beams, sometimes even just by turning the steering wheel, and of course if something is plugged into the power outlet (like cell phone charger).

Is there any way to improve the quality of the Radio? (Ford still does not offer digital satellite radio, and I don't know if those offer better quality, they only provide you with a bigger range (coast to coast) to listen to some stations).
    Hey I feel your pain, we just returned from a trip in the Smokey mountains and I would scan the radio for a station and it would just go thru the entire dial without picking up a single station. Thank god that I have an in-dash factory CD player. The reason is that the antena in my 99 Windstar is built in the rear right side glass, it looks like the letter "Z", and it's of the same material as the rear defroster wires, it's so cheap and you'll never be able to pick up anything, that's why u hear busing everytime u turn on anything electrical, because the signal runs thru the electrical system causing that humming or busing. I thought about installing an external antena, that means disconecting the existing antena cable from the back of the radio and running another antena cable to an external antena on the fender or so, which I guess I would have to drill in the metal to mount it. Doesn't sound like a big job but I'm seriously thinking about it. Actually we're lucky because some of the Crown Victorias have the antena built in the rear glass along with the defroster wire, meaning that everytime u turn on your rear defroster, u would get straight static until u turn it off. I know this for a fact because my dad had a Crown Victoria that did this, it sucks. Ford Radios just plain suck
    Between my parents and the cars I've owned, I've had personal experience with four Town Cars, one F-150, one F-350, a Cougar and a Windstar. Granted none of them could compare to a high end aftermarket system, but none of them were crap. The only one I have any buzzing in is my F-350. The passenger side window makes a slight hissing in the radio. I would be willing to bet it is a grounding problem. I have similar trouble in the past with GM cars. It almost always turned out to be a broken ground somewhere.

As far as reception goes, I'll agree the mast would do better, but the inglass antenna is a cleaner installation. I've been to the Smokies on several occasions. I remember having the same problems as you. When you get down between the mountains you won't get any stations.
    I agree with Mullins. Poor radio reception in the mountains is normal. And a buzzing proportional to another electrical device is usually a bad ground or a bad radio noise supressor. The radio itself probably isn't at fault. Ford sound systems are pretty much on par with the rest of the industry.
  • bk3187bk3187 Member Posts: 2
    I have seen a few postings on stalling and dying, but have not seen any identification of cause. Please post if you know the solution, TSB, or recall info.

My 2001 Windstar intermittantly fails to start or dies after being restarted a few minutes after driving. The problem usually happens on a hot day and has occurred 3 times in the last month (as described below).
    1. extended highway driving on a HOT day. Stopped at a rest area. Car failed to maintain sufficeint RPMs to keep running when restarted 20 min. later. Let the car sit for about 45 minutes with the hood up. Started and continued fine.
    2. Round town driving on a hot day. Wife stopped at a shop and returned 15 minutes later. Symptoms as above...Car successfully start 1 hour later.
    3. Round town driving of 15 mile on a warm day. Return to vehicle and it will not run. Returned 3 hours later and everything worked fine.

Other (seemingly unrelated) issues:
    + Placing cargo in the rear causes the vehicle to believe a door is open even if the cargo is away from the door. This causes a light to stay on and prevents the auto-lock from engaging when starting. Also prevents lights from coming on when stopping the car.
    + Engine intermittently hunts (surges) when at idle.

Thanks for the comments. I got 225K miles out of my Aerostar...I am at 50K on the Windstar and it looks like I will need to replace it. The family is not too keen on being stranded.

Any suggestions or comments? Experience with Ford?
This discussion has been closed.