Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    my abs light is on and sometimes it goes off....when it is off and i speed up to 75 to 80 it goes on...what is that...my brakes seem fine.

ABS light on our '97 was on one time, the cause was just low brake fluid.
  • echo1echo1 Posts: 1
    Hi,

My van did the same thing and usually in cold weather. Turned out that I had water in my gas and I put some HEAT treatment in with my gas to get the water out of the gas and I don't have that problem.

Hope this helps.

Echo1
  • removing excessive carbon is easier than poping the heads off, when the engine is hot take a water spray bottle rev the engine as you spray fine mist of water into the throttle body that will lossen any carbon that is excessive might have to pull the plugs to blow or wipe off carbon flakes if it is missing, most pinging problems are from dirty injectors, good to add injector cleaner now and again.
  • I'm wondering what the serial number is on the intakes, sometimes they experiment with different designs and get customer feedback lol complaints
    is it just one style of intake for those years? 98, 99, 2000.
  • sadxxxsadxxx Posts: 1
    Quite interesting. I also have a 96 windstar GL and my horn stopped working yesterday. Also at the same time, the speed control does not work anymore. There are many posts about this particular issue (i.e. horn+speed control). Most of them blame a faulty ground connection , which is common to both but I have yet to see someone confirming that or, at least, point us to the wire that should be checked.

good luck
  • LOL boy that was a dumb dealer LOL.
    You can check the voltage drain by removing the negative terminal and remove fuses and see if you have small spark when touching the terminal to the post, gives you an idea where the drain is, or you can use a test lite as well between the battery post and the negitive terminal and pull one fuse out at a time.
  • is thier a part number for this steel shift piston in the transmission any one have it handy?
  • tomstartomstar Posts: 5
    I had the same prob. The ABS lite would come on intermittently. Took to Ford dealer, they ran a $50 diagnostic and THEN checked the brake fluid level and said that was the problem. Why didn't they check that first .. duh...uh! My lesson is to you free ... check the brake fluid level and see if that is you prob.
  • tomstartomstar Posts: 5
    My front driver power seat, '97 Windstar, is moving sluggish and seems to be "slipping" when I move forward or backward. I have to "assist" the movement with my body. Up/down, tilt seems OK. Is there a belt or chain I can change and how hard/complicated is this to do to fix the problem. I don't think it is the motor. I have not had the seat out yet to examine.
  • I've just found this great site and have read many of the postings, most do not shine a postive light on the windstar. Now I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who loves their van like I do? And does anyone have high mileage with little problems? Mine just turned 100,000 miles. My family is planning a trip to MI next month. Read the posting on the chimes and pinging. I'll try the wd40 and fuel inj cleaner and let you know if it works for me... :shades:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    We did until we were told recently that a couple gaskets are leaking and repair cost is about $1500. We will see how long it lasts with the leaks, they do not seem that bad right now. We have 93,000 miles on our 1997. It is becoming a limited use vehicle for us, so we will not be racking up many miles in the future.

Of course this forum is for "Ford Windstar Problems" so naturally that is what you are going to read about.
  • nancypnancyp Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 96 WINDSTAR VAN I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH 2 THINGS. THE VAN IS MISSING A LITTLE. NOT ALL THE TIME. MY DASHBOARD LOW WATER LIGHT WILL START CLICKING ON AND OFF AND MY SPEEDOMETER JUST GOES HAYWIRE, (AFTER IT REACHES ABOUT 45 IT JUST GOES UP TO 80 AND THEN BACK TO 45 BACK AND FORTH.) SOMEONE TOLD ME IT COULD NEED NEW PLUG WIRES, BUT THEN SOMEONE ELSE SAID IF IT IS NOT MISSING ALL THE TIME THAT IT IS NOT THE PLUG WIRES. THE DASH ALSO HAS A FRYING NOISE IN IT WHEN THE SPEEDOMETER IS GOING CRAZY. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • rossross Posts: 17
    My 96 did this and they replaced the speedo head. About $500 if I remember. Bad thing is, after about 40k more miles, it is going to go out again and then they wanted $900 to repair and said it would go out again in another 40k miles. I declined. I use my watch and mile marker signs if I want to know my speed. :lemon:
  • Hello, I have a 1996 Windstar, and recently the trac off light started to flash. It does not flash all the time, just once in awhile. We have only had the van for around 3 weeks and the first time that this happened was after I had washed it. But it seems like if it is flashing, and I shut the van off and restart it, the light disappears(usually). In the owners manual it says that the traction control is malfuncationing, but it does not do it all the time. I hoping that someone can give me a clue of what it might be, or if someone else has had the same problem. Thanks :confuse: :confuse:
  • boyingtonboyington Posts: 1
    The car looks right ... to me anyway and seems to be in fine working condition drives nice etc... has just over 100,000 miles on it... I am buying it for my small antique bizz...
    How do I tell the dealer I want to have it looked over by a mechanic? or can I send a mechanic there to look at it ?
    I see that in the past there were some problems...
    what do you all think good price for a good car ... or bad idea?
  • grandpa3grandpa3 Posts: 3
    We have a 2001 windstar and at 40-45 miles per hour it runs rough. If we speed up or slow down it returns to normal running condition. When we started it today the check engine light stayed on. We had the code reader put on it and it gave us a misfire code for cylinder 6. They said we needed to change the plugs, which we promptly purchased and installed. It is now running rough even at an idle and the check engine light remains on. Changing the plugs only made it worse. What should we look at next?
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    For my money, around $2500 would be a good price regardless of book value
  • We are doing the head gaskets on a 3.0 litre, the main problem was the thermostat, had stuck closed, overheating the head gaskets and producing a leak, the head gasket seems to be a poor quality as the sealing material on the gasket was eaten away, the most diffulcult part was getting the exhaust manifold bolts out, they seem to have been tighten to 150 lbs LOL we needed a 1/2 rachet and on a few a johnson bar, Also we had one snag yesterday the head bolt kit was the wrong one, its listed wrong on the after market gasket set as well for the recommoned bolt kit. We have to check around today, not much luck for sundays. I'll update the right kit later. :sick:
  • 99vanman99vanman Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Windstar SE and the speed control stopped working. Anyone have a idea on where to look for the problem to fix it. Also passenger front door and passenger sliding door automatic locks don't work. Any ideas on these problems let me know.
    Thanks !!!
  • I have a 99 windstar and the air condition, speedometer,and odometer just stopped working not to mention the ABS light is on. I have no clue what happened or how it did. It was working the night before and now it is not. I have taken tried to reset the computer and this did not fix the problem. I have checked all the fuses and they are all working. Please help this is my only vehicle and I am at witts endI can't afford another car nor a ticket because I can't tell how fast the car is going. :sick:
This discussion has been closed.