Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• mrmaumrmau Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, I have a 95 Windstar with DTC PO171 & PO174 (System (adaptive fuel) too lean Bank 1 & 2). When I start the engine it surges. I changed the fuel filter but it didn't make a difference. Anyone have any advice? TIA!
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Vacuum leak. Look for defective PCV valve grommet or hose, check all vacuum lines. If all ok, find a shop with a smoke machine to check for intake manifold gasket leaks.
  • hemi392hemi392 Member Posts: 3
    My friend has a 1998 Windstar with 3.8l engine. It was running badly, so we ran diagnostics and got error codes 0340 (cam position sensor), and 0302 (cylinder #2 misfire).

A new cam position sensor fixed up the 0340 right away, but the 0302 remains. I did a search on this forum, and it seems this may just be an indicator of worse problems. Is this likely to be a head gasket (or cracked head?!?), or should I just try a new spark plug?

It runs very rough, has no power, and is barely driveable as it is. Although I'm new to Windstar repairs, I'm handy with a wrench. I just don't have the background to know if this is something I can fix, or a major problem. Maybe even a common problem? Thank you in advance!

Hemi392
  • ritak0ritak0 Member Posts: 3
    Help!
    I have had my 2000 SEL Windstar at the Ford dealership many times because the Power Slidings Doors open and close by themselves. Thankfully it has never happened while driving. The only way to deal with it is to lock the doors while the sliding door is in motion-after that I can hear it clicking and trying to open. AnThe problem is especially bad when it is damp outside. I have almost gotten squeezed by the door closing on me. Has anybody had this problem?
    I worked on the van today. While I was at it, I checked the oil and it was clean (no water). Checked the radiator, and it is also clean (no oil). It has not been overheating, and the temp has not been fluctuating.

I changed the #2 spark plug, and the problem stays the same. The old plug was not a pretty brown ash, but was not wet or fowled either. I started the engine and unplugged the #2 spark plug wire at the coil, and there was no RPM change. I hooked up a "test" spark plug, and there was no spark. Tried the test plug right at the coil, still no spark. Maybe this is an electrical problem, and not a head gasket or something worse? If there is no spark coming from the #2 coil tower, where do I look next? Thank you!

Hemi392
  • omegasomegas Member Posts: 2
    My wifes 2000 w/s did the same thing today. Big clunk and nothing left but reverse.......now what? :sick: :sick:
  • gordo1gordo1 Member Posts: 4
    Many thanks for the advice. I will try it out for sure.

G
    Turned out to be a bad coil. Put in a new coil, and it runs great again.

Hemi392
  • scotts5scotts5 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2001 Windstar. Occasionally on very hot days the van won't start again until the engine has cooled for about 30 minutes. The dealer has not been able to find anything. Where you ever able to find a solution? We are tired of getting stranded as well. Thanks.
  • kgregg1kgregg1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 98' with the same rev and stalling symptoms when turning a corner or suddenly deaccelerating from a low speed.

Unfortunately, we have learned to live with it. In our case it does not stall often and only during hot weather when the A/C is on. If you found a solution I would be interested in hearing about it.
  • kgregg1kgregg1 Member Posts: 7
    Check the transmission fluid level. I bought our 98' used and noticed the shudder at highway speeds usually going up inclines and also when going through rainstorms on the highway (extra loading on drivetrain from puddling). I found the tranmission fluid was past the top mark on the dip stick. I changed the fluid and refilled to the proper level and the shudder ceased.
  • jody7jody7 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to save a little money...I too have problems with my emission light and have been advised to change to fuel filter. Can anybody give me good clear directions? Not to engine smart so please be patient. Thanks!
  • wojo2wojo2 Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone, I have owned a 1995 and I currently own a 1998 WS. I had the '95 from May of 1994 to March of 1999. I traded it in on a1998 Canadian market WS. The '95 had
    152,000 miles on it. You might say I drove a lot. The van was crashed at 8,000 miles into a light post during a downpour. The repairs basically replaced the front end. Still drove like a champ. At about 44,000 miles my dealership(North Bros) rebuilt the transmission, ran excellent.

Then I took it in for service at 72,000 miles and , oh well they replaced ththe headgaskets.Best of all they gave me for FREE the front struts and even replaced the swivel bearing that the strut attaches to that was bad.

The strangest thing happened at 102,000 miles. I put a tankful of Sunoco gasohol and the next day the car turned into a pos. I took it to the dealer again and $2,000 later I had
    2 fuel injectors replaced. My question is: what did they do? The car ran fantastic until
    I traded it in on my '98.

In all that time I only had 3 sets of tires on it, no front bearings or tie rods NOTHING like
    the POS problems you have had.

I purchased my '98 with about 15,000 miles on it. In 129,000 miles I have really had no
    serious problems. At 22,000 the right rear brake cylinder froze. Fixed under warranty.
    I did the usual replacements of the fan belt at about 85,000 miles and a tuneup with
    plugs, wires and fuel filter just before I moved a 1,000 miles away. I towed a 2,000
    pound trailer and got 20 to 22 mpg while towing it
    :blush::blush::D
    At 99,2000 the alternator died and the outer tie rods were replaced under my 100,000
    mile warranty. Also replaced was the driver's side window frame, a weld broke. I finally
    replaced the front pads and the rotors at about 117,000 miles, the rears at 124,000.
    I also need to get new inner tie rods and front bearings.

So in my driving 266,000 miles on my 2 WS I really have had no repeated problems
    Oops! I didn't check my paperwork. The right front bearing was also replaced at 99,232 miles. Also I replaced the front brakes and rotors at 77,000 miles. Just this morning my
    cupholder bottom broke and the cel is on with the engine running a bit rough.But, it might be the gas I put in earlier this morning :confuse: I still like my Canadian market Windstar :blush:
  • revans3revans3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Fodr Windstar. While driving my inside
    lights keep coming on and off. What could this be.
    All the doors are shut!!!
    Thanks
  • lilabatchlilabatch Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am having Problems with my 1999 Windstar. I have the check engine light on and I got it check at checkers test and they tell me that the light is on due to an error. The error is "Lean Bank 1 & 2" I am not sure what to do to fix it but I am about ready to leave Hawaii and I know Matson will not ship it with that there. Please advise ASAP.
  • lilabatchlilabatch Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am having Problems with my 1999 Windstar. I have the check engine light on and I got it check at checkers test and they tell me that the light is on due to an error. The error is "Lean Bank 1 & 2" I am not sure what to do to fix it but I am about ready to leave Hawaii and I know Matson will not ship it with that there. Please advise ASAP.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    alcan, "Ford Windstar problems" #1975, 8 Aug 2005 9:53 am

If no problems, check fuel pressure. Could also be a restricted fuel filter.
  • tremblaytremblay Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 1996 Windstar and the garage told me that they have to change the heater box at a cost of $1700.00. What is the name of your mechanic or do you know what was wrong and how he fixed it?
  • bong1bong1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I'm Bong. I have a windstar 2000 too. I've got the same problem with you. I replaced the fuse #10 and it blew right away but I noticed the odometer went on for few seconds. Do you know the specific name of the switch or ID number so I can also purchase it and do it myself? and to Shanmal can you please teach me the exact location of that switch so I can locate it without mistake? Sorry I dont have a repair manual :confuse: . Thanks in advance.
  • bong1bong1 Member Posts: 2
    I already found the exact location! It really is leaking fluid. I tried to dry it thinking that it was just a spill out from a recent refill but after few minutes its wet again. I hope somebody could help me know the exact name of that part to replace and how to do the replacement properly. does it have a tread so i can remove it and retread/tighten the new one? do i need to remove the air filter assembly to have ease on accessing it? :confuse:
  • brent3brent3 Member Posts: 1
    I am a newbie looking for help with my 2002 windstar and the keypad master code. I have been told or read that there may be a place or two where the factory hides the vehicles master code for the keypad on the drivers door. can anyopne confirm and offer help where to look?
    Is there a generic code that will reset the door? where should i go to get the help needed? dealership? factory? any help would be awesome and a real time saver. thanks Brent3
  • lindab2lindab2 Member Posts: 1
    Here what ford and transmission people don’t want ford owners to find out: with the ford van they put a poor clutch fans in which draw power from the trans each time it shifts after you hit a certain speed it stop . Unhook the clutch fan and drive it if it stop put new in cost around $25.00 for fan

Then do not tell anyone and you could by one cheep. Mine 2000 books a 4,500 and I paid 400 + 25f or fan. goo luck hope this works
  • skidrowe1skidrowe1 Member Posts: 1
    My front window wipers have started acting funny, they work while it rains afterwards they will not shut off. I have to pull over and ensure they are in the off pos. shut off engine and re start and they stay off till needed next time. does anybody have any ideal on what to trouble shoot, how to fix this problem :confuse:
    any and all help would be great, The dealers take a chunk out off a single income familys wallet!
  • jstanaitisjstanaitis Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new heater core that fits inside my 1995 Windstar for $55.00, and installed it. It wasn't bad..took approx. 2 hours..I bought it at AUTOZONE..here in Daytona , Florida.
  • jstanaitisjstanaitis Member Posts: 2
    I need to replace my wiring harness. It got very hot near the air filter..It melted the wiring..the asbestos shield slipped down when they worked on my transmission.Where can I find a replacement? I can go to the auto dealer and order one but they are $385.00, can I find a another source? Joseph
    Did you ever get this problem to stop?
    Do you know whether Ford ever found the fix for this?
    Thanks.
  • ecko13ecko13 Member Posts: 1
    The zip tie trick worked in getting the air to the top (ceiling) vents but I'm still getting nothing but hot air in the rear of the van. Obviously thats fine in the winter time but its mid august and we're getting 90 degree temp.. Any ideas on how to fix the rear A/C?
  • kdog1962kdog1962 Member Posts: 3
    Engine Stalls1996 ford Windstar GL 3.8L Engine runs fine for a while and then engine stalls Seems to happen after car gets to operating temperature. If you let the vehicle sit for a while maybe 45 minutes It will start right up and run for a good while before it stalls again. I changed the fuel pump but it did not fix the problem. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Kdog1962, you might also want to post about your problem in the Idle and Stalling Problems: All Vehicles discussion. The members there might have some ideas for you.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• 98windstar3898windstar38 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a CEL on my 98 windstar 3.8. From the posts on this great forum I went up to Autozone and they showed the problem to be 0340 so I got a new sensor and installed it. Great! CEL went out Drove it for a while maybe 5-7 miles and the light came back on after shutting of and restarting the car. Went back to Autozone and check it out same problem P0340 the CPS. He reset it thinking that might help and it did until I drove another mile or two... I think it was doing fine until the engine got to operating temp and then went out. I've read here and other places that the sensor and the thing it sits on can get all eaten up. Looking at mine it looked great. Autozone only suggested reseting the ECM, or possibly a bad sensor?? Not sure how that could be as it's just a magnet right? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Jason
    My cel is on so I checked it at AutoZone. It came up as a code for the # 1 cylinder
    not firing right. Now what is the BEST solution? Replace the plug or what. The car still
    runs good. :confuse:
  • jedclampettjedclampett Member Posts: 1
    I repaired the problem with my 1999 Windstar and it is running fine now. I just need to know how to reset the check engine light. Can someone please advise me?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    One way is to disconnect the battery for about an hour.
  • ho11yw00dho11yw00d Member Posts: 5
    I know that at my local parts store they will retrieve trouble codes for you in the parking lot and allow you clear them yourself. That's how I clear mine.
    My 1998 ford windstar just cracked out a tooth in the ring gear and has a cracked tooth on the starter pinion. Wow. What a bummer. Is it really that hard to design the ring gear and starter so that the easily replaced starter is the "expendable" component and the ring gear is more duarble? I find myself in the position where I need to replace both on the 3.8L six.

How difficult is the ring replacement? Wouldn't it be great if the ring gear was replaceable in thirds or perhaps quadrants (without breaking apart the engine/trans)?

I really want to cry. The car had been sitting for a few days and I just hit the starter and the engine didn't even crank a few degrees. It felt as though the starter cracked through the teeth on the ring gear just as soon as it spun out to the end of the shaft. The starter teeth are still in place but one is definately cracked. My only advice to the masses: have a ford?--keep a spare ford handy, you'll need it sooner or later. :cry:
    I had a very similar problem in my 98 3.8. I replaced all 6 spark plugs.(back 3 are VERY difficult but it can be done from the underside.) No improvement. I turned my attention to the fuel side and replaced the $75 second cyl fuel injector. Whamo. No more rough running at operating temp. If you have a diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) from the check engine light, you should obtain the exact verbage behind the codes and start from there.
    Me second cylinder misfire was a bad $75 fuel injector. Though spark plugs are cheaper. I would start with those. If you are a 9?-98 3.8L you can reach the number one cylinder spark plug from the passenger wheel well.
  • galchingalchin Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there's been a recall of this blend door actuator (though I imagine not)? I have the same problem with my '99 Windstar; there's a cyclical clicking sound behind the radio and temp controls when the temp is on cold. When I turn the controls up to the hottest setting the clicking stops, and when I turn them back the clicking starts in again. I guess I can't complain too much since I haven't had any major problems. Just this and the tie end rods are going...oh, and the power door on the passenger side is dead as well...
  • brotherbrentbrotherbrent Member Posts: 1
    I have had new plugs wires sensors everything checked and still not fixed anyone have any ideas. we took to autozone and had mis fire in cyl. 6, the problem is the oil light flashing when we come to a stop then rough idle and missing on take off
  • scrodenscroden Member Posts: 1
    I'm had the same problem with my vechicle. Were you able to get some answers from Ford as why this is a know problem.

Thanks.
  • bljonesbljones Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delay in updating everyone on my wife's Windstar problem. The dealer had her van for almost 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do and who should pay. The dealer had sent transmission fluid samples to one of Ford's labs in the US for analysis and had 2 or 3 technicians from the Windstar assembly plant in Oakville come to the dealership to help work on the problem. After all of the hassle and being stuck in a Focus rental car, Ford finally agreed to replace the transmission and the cost would be shared between Ford and the dealer. We have had the van back for a couple of weeks and it is currently running like new. Hopefully this will be the last of our problems with this van until it is returned at the end of its lease in January.
  • gglmngglmn Member Posts: 1
    Having same ABS problem with my 95. How was your's fixed? :cry:
    Does anyone know how to cheaply replace the passenger side mirror glass. I cracked it scraping ice off during the winter.

Thanks Ho11yw00d. I will try it soon. :D
    You're welcome, wojo2. Also, remember that the car has only three coils-the right and left bank cylinders spark off of the same coil. The passenger mirror is an assembly. :(
  • kuleszakrewkuleszakrew Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what this problem is. We are having the same problem.
  • bgtgbgtg Member Posts: 1
    I had the head gasket replaced on my '95 windstar at 83,000 miles.(As most of us 95ers know-Ford extended the warranty to 7 years or 100,000 miles). Now the van has 128,000 miles on it and apparently has blown the head gasket again!!!!!!! Has anyone else had a 2nd head gasket failure? And this one only lasted 45,000 miles! Since ford extended the warranty on the head gaskets to 100,000 miles, dont you think they should make good on it again at only 45,000 miles? Anyone that has dealt with this issue let me know what you did and if you got any help from ford. Thanks bg :(
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Since ford extended the warranty on the head gaskets to 100,000 miles, dont you think they should make good on it again at only 45,000 miles?

Sorry but no, I don't think you should expect Ford to warranty the vehicle to 128,000 mi and 10-11 years. I wish they would give me 100,000 mi warranty on my 97 with 94K mi and leaking gaskets (not head gasket) that they want $1700 to repair.
  • voorttivoortti Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Could anyone help troubleshoot. It appears my 1995 Windstar A/C is always on in any othe position than 0, when nothing is on.

I had an accident in 1995, and it is possible they connected wires wrong at the dash where the main lever is. Can this be the problem? and does anyone have a picture of how the wires should be?

Or could it be with the clutch? How do I Identify if it is the clutch?

A/C is nice, but not necessary unless it is hot. I can heat the car by keeping the temp adjusment sufficiently high, but A/C on the car seems to consume more fuel.

WOuld appreciate any help. I am in no Ford country in Europe, and do not think there is an easy fix here.

Rgds & thanx in advance

Voortti
This discussion has been closed.