Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    There's no such thing as "H" codes. If you mean "P" codes, here ya go:
    P0133 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1
    Either they didn't re-connect one of the O2 sensor wiring harnesses, one of the sensors got damaged, or Murphy was around and decided to nuke the sensor. Your call.
    "What should I look for?"

The phone number of the shop which did the repair and your invoice.
  • drenningdrenning Member Posts: 1
    2000 windstar se with 51000 miles, the right side power door will only open app 12 to 14 inches by using the power switch, will close properly. If you manually open the power door, it will open the whole way. Also some times when coming to a stop or slowing down for a turn, the transmission will down shift and act like it is skipping or missing the lower gear, making a clunking noise.

Anyone having the same problems, and what has been done to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
  • mattman3mattman3 Member Posts: 1
    Been there done that, along with many other issues on my 2000 Windstar. Just had ABS module replaced and now a week later it looks like the Blend Door Actuator problem has come up on my Windstar. I'll never buy another Ford.
  • musicalvanmanmusicalvanman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My 2001 SE has the turnsignal arrows in the side mirrors. The passenger side arrow is continually lit at about 1/2 brightness. The drivers side is working OK. I've checked all the bulbs, turnsignals etc all seems to be OK. This is the 3rd time this has happened, the last 2 times it's disappeared itself. When I do use the the passenger side turnsignal it does blink, but otherwise is on whenever the headlights are on.

All help and suggestions appreciated.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Gang,

My 2000 SEL (89,000) just returned from the shop. It required a new engine program to address spark knocking; a new ABS control mod and valve ASY to get rid of the ABS light; and a new crankshaft and bearings to address an engine knocking issue. While they were there they replaced the spark plugs.

Total Cost: 56.70 for the spark plugs.

The Ford ESP Premium is the best extended warranty in the market place.

That $850 investment had paid for itself about 5 fold; plus I always get a free rental!

Highly recommend it for Windstar owners.
  • ccwebbccwebb Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 windstar SEL just started acting up. The running lights won't turn off (intermittent). Took it to the dealer, who can't find any problems. So far, it has only happened at home, but I am sure it will strand me somewhere with a dead battery. Anyone else having this problem? Suggestions? Other than buy a Honda? This is our third Ford, and I will NEVER buy one again. :mad:
  • marjsmith03marjsmith03 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed alot of posts about the front coil springs. Anything about the rear springs out there? My 2000 Windstar has the same squeeking noise everyone is talking about. My husband took apart some stuff to grease it up. While doing this, he took off the spring and noticed that it was broke in two. We don't know how long it has been like this. I noticed there was a post about the front coil spring. I haven't found anything on the rear. Anyone else have this problem or know anything about it? I called to find out price, and they said a total of about $400 to get both replaced.
  • mebrownmebrown Member Posts: 1
    I have partial lighting on instrument cluster and no lighting now in climate control area of 1998 Windstar LX. Is it possible to fix at home or do I need to take it to a garage. any help appreciated
  • debbie10debbie10 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I had a brake problem took to mechanic replaced front brakes and rotors said fine, still had same problem 537.00 later, feels like I have no brakes, the ABS is kicking in as soon as I hit brakes I guess, feels as if I must hit petal to metal to stop yet all brakes fine. Had code ABS light but goes off and mechanic said no code reading. He suggests I disconnect ABS, sounds scary. He says sensor is 1000,00. I had the ABS sensor on wheel replaced 2 years ago. He says this is computer maybe??? Anyone have this problem ?
  • chico0957chico0957 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 windstar that did the same thing at a stop sign. loud clunk than only reverse. problem was rear sun gear in tranny, at a cost of 1928.00. sorry, but no easy way around this one.
  • howievikihowieviki Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 is doing the same thing. Seems to have something to do with when it has been raining. I have difficulty getting it to start then it wants to die at low idle. Once it's been running a while the problem goes away. My engine light does not come on, just the battery light when it starts to sputter and die. Did you figure out what's causing your problem? Autozone has pulled my codes for free. My problem is I didn't get the engine light coming on so I don't think I have any codes to pull.
  • karmannkarmann Member Posts: 2
    Try the cold start solenoid. Just had ours replaced. $150 part. 10 minutes to replace.
  • karmannkarmann Member Posts: 2
    You can add me to the club. I've been in twice for the same problem. There is a TSB out on the problem from ford. I wa also in the 96 windstar head gasket club too. I'm now have over 4000.00 of negative equity into this vehicle and should of bought a truck with the last $4000.00 I got from ford for my 96' windstar when I traded it. I still owe $13,000 on a $8,000 vehicle and doubt I will make it to 100,000 miles without another $4000.00 in repairs.
  • hamiltsdhamiltsd Member Posts: 5
    Did this really work? I just got done replacing both o2 sensors because of what the codes said at Autozone. The guy cleared the codes to turn of the cel that has been on for longer than I can remember. Everything was good until I started the van and "sputter, sputter, sputter", lights flashing, "cough, cough". Once I pressed the accelerator and raised the rpm to about 2000 rpm then it finally settled down. Every time the check engine light comes on with this van it usually costs me $700-$1000 so I had hoped to diagnose this problem myself.
  • hatewinstarhatewinstar Member Posts: 1
    I spent 1500 last year to fix the problem... now it come back again the 3rd time... any clues?
  • lindab1lindab1 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have less than 40,000 miles on my windstar. It runs normal when cold but after running for about 25 miles will start to "drag" like you're not pressing the gas and and then will "catch-up" and run normal until you have to stop. My fuel and air filters have been replaced, the transmission people have looked at it, "no problem there" along with the mech. There is sometimes a popping noise like back fire but from under the hood. So, the plugs have been replaced. It's been put on a machine, but no codes are coming up. No one can figure out what the problem is. Is there anyone out in the world wide web that has had this problem and knows how to fix it. I still owe 3 yrs on this thing and will "flip-flop" if I trade in. Please help!!!!
  • nennay31nennay31 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 windstar. 1 week ago it went into the shop for 2 O2 sensors replaced and the E MC computer to be reprogrammed. Got it back Oct.25. On Oct 26 It went back to the shop because it was running hot and engine light came on. That was the Thermostat Replaced and radiator flush done. Got it back same day. TODAY running fine until i turned down my street, 1500 feet from house, and the van started running rough and very difficult to keep running, took it (immediatly) back to mechanic. After running preliminary tests, He thinks it is CYLINDERS 2 and 3 have either slipped or crashed. At this point, we don't know where to turn, Could this be a bad mechanic(error), or the vehicle? We are at over $600 in repairs in just one week, and now faced with SO MUCH MORE!!! Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
  • ckrileyckriley Member Posts: 1
    have two codes pop up po171 and po174. also odometer & speedometer don't work and abs light is on all happend at same time except check engine light which came on a few weeks later. also the heater doesnt work it blows but no heat and only defrost vents work. The back controls make heat blow in the back vents
  • hamiltsdhamiltsd Member Posts: 5
    I wish. It is such an intermittent problem that will never happen when I take it to the dealer or trusted mechanic.
  • trieshardtrieshard Member Posts: 1
    i often have a hard time getting my van out of park. it is getting worse any ideaas?
  • nennay31nennay31 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, nennay31 here. Update on the 2000 Windstar with many problems. Found out that the #2 piston is lying in the oil pan (a fine place to be?!) Not good. So with a balance still owed on it, I am shopping for a new van. As many complaints as there are here, any sugggestions for a NEW van. I am leaning toward the '05 Kia Sedona... looks good, good warrenty and payments are easy on wallet!
  • fabdulfabdul Member Posts: 5
    My Windstar has less than 98000 miles on it. The problem is when ever i turn a corner, it shuts off. It will crank straight away but will always die out on a corner. Please help. No dealer, mechanic or computer reading can locate the problem.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
  • See post #1888. (Air Bypass Valve) You can do it yourself. I had this done twice over 100k and always fixed the problem. Dealer should know that. I think there is a TBS on it.
    I cannot remember and will be trying that. Thanks
    Where would i find this TBS? Thanks Floyd
  • gpitchergpitcher Member Posts: 1
    Yep, I'm in the same boat. My first gasket went at around 80k, and it took the engine w/ it. Ford put in a reman short block and it's been fine up until a few weeks ago when it went again at 160k. Since there are so many other things wrong with this van, including a broken steering wheel bushing, a transmission that's been giving me problems for the past 3 years, broken seats, etc., etc., etc., I think I'm just going to donate it.
  • vls2vls2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Windstar broke down 400 miles from home because the torque converter failed. The car had 65,000 miles on it and had just had its 60,000mile check up where they changes transmission oil and replaced seals. So much for Ford maintenance. The total charge for replacing the torque converter and valve body cover was $1995. This for a car that is worth between $5000 and $6000. I'll never buy another Ford. In my opinion the Japanese cars are well worth the extra money you pay up front not to have these problems. It is too bad for the American worker and Ford shareholders, but after 45 years of buying American, I have to give up on American automobiles
  • lakeshowlakeshow Member Posts: 4
    There's a thumping noise that starts when I turn the ac lever to the heat side. As soon as its all the way to the cold side the sound stops. Which sucks cause it's getting cold and my wife and kids need heat. We dont hear the thumping until we switch over to heat!!! Any suggestions.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The documents linked under Section 4: Leaking Front Cover and Intake Manifold Gaskets in V-6 Engines at http://www.flamingfords.info/ indicate that Ford paid for free replacement of "front cover gasket" on some 96-97 models with the 3.8 L engine, but apparently not for the Windstar. What is going on? How can they say it is defective if it is on a Mustang but not on a Windstar with the same engine?

BTW, is the front cover gasket the same thing as timing cover gasket?
  • avw4mudavw4mud Member Posts: 3
    Have you checked the 02 sensors. These affect the air mixture in the fuel injection and cause the engine to run badly if they are slow or bad. 40 k miles is unusual, but not unheard of.. I think there are several. Also check the EGR valve.
    Does anyone know if a one time heavy exposure to antifreeze can cause an oxygen sensor to turn green if the engine is never started again after the exposure.
  • jmcartierjmcartier Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2003 windstar. It is one of 2 things. A blend door actuator, or a cracked blend door. Mine was just an actuator. The actuator is only about $50 from the dealer, if it needs a blend door you have to buy a heater box for about $1000.
    I spoke with a ford technician, and he said if you have a cracked blend door, it can be repaired by removing the actuator and placing a hose clamp at the base of the door. Though not the best fix, it will work and probablly get you through winter. I have done some research and this seems to be a common problem. Ford has way over complicated this system. much more than it has to be. I hope this helps. This is the first Ford I have ever owned. I have only had Toyotas up till now. And really wanted a Sienna, but could not afford one. I have owned my Windstar for 6 weeks and it has been back to the Dealer 4 times for warranty repairs. (Blend door actuator, Right Rear window motor, interior lights flicker sometimes and Transmission shifts not smooth) Dealer says trans is shifting normally. These vans are also known for steering racks, p/s pumps, and other issues. Figured I would give Ford a try with this one. Hope this one won't burn me.

Justin
  • Sorry, It's a TSB tech service bulletin. Dealer should have them. But, the item replaced was the Air Bypass Valve. Small and tubular 3inches long by 1inch diameter, it sits on top of engine a little to right of center and toward the back. Mine is silver in color. It ran around $300, most of which was diagnostics and labor. Next time I will do it myself or have my mechanic do it. There are other possible items, vacuum lines, computer reprogramming, and throttle positioning sensor. But, I think this is a commom problem on the Windstar.

Good Luck
    Yes.
  • windbagwindbag Member Posts: 1
    Our van is possessed, in the middle of the night it will start honking, and one of us has to run and press the alarm button, all hours, and when your in a store, at school, 3 hrs. after you've driven it, It will just start honking...It seems to be getting worse, Used to be once every few weeks, and now it has happened at least 5 times in the last two days,
    We've changed the battery in the remote.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    windbag
  • fordloserfordloser Member Posts: 9
    Add me to your list. 99 Windstar-we were lucky to buy the entended warranty which covered the intake manifold gasket. Now we are dealing with transmission problems.
  • jessie3jessie3 Member Posts: 6
    hey there. The THIRD window motor cost me about $225.00 and so far its been okay.. keep your fingers crossed...... :mad:
  • jessie3jessie3 Member Posts: 6
    Recently I have heard a sort of ticking noise from the wheels when I speed up . Along with that, maybe not related, is that the ABS n brake light come on intermittently. I had someone look at the van and they couldn't find why the ABS lights kept coming on but said my "speed sensor" was bad-that would explain the noise.... should I be taking that in to the dealer immediately for repair????????????????? :confuse: :cry:
    Thanks. You have been a great help. The problem is no more.
    Thanks once again
  • datillmansdatillmans Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem? I have to turn the car off after making sure the wipers are in the off position. When I restart the car the wipers stay off until the next time I need to use them. Help!
  • datillmansdatillmans Member Posts: 2
    I am having identical problems, The power locks work on the rear sliding doors but not on the front doors, the driver side window no longer works, the rear power vent windows stopped working for the longest but now they work again. Sounds like wires are loose somewhere, need help!
  • munchkinmommunchkinmom Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have trouble w/their '01 van regarding the driver's side window motor dying? I don't have the resources to leave it to the dealer to fix. I have gotten a replacment motor and gotten the door apart, but can't get the motor out...it seems there is a rivet or something holding it in place...I can't get it off without tapping it out? Has anyone done this or have any ideas? Thanks! :cry:
  • thompsonfamilythompsonfamily Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have a 200 ford windstar. This summer all of a sudden the window would not roll back up after I went to get the mail one day! I took it to a dealer friend of mine and he got it back up but said that I needed a new motor in it. I took it to the dealership and they wanted 1,000 $$ to replace the motor and time (of Course) I went and got another quote from a small repair shop. He fixed it for 200$. Make sure that you check around first. He said that it is from the cold weather and then the rain here in Montana. He also said to allow the window to roll completley down and then back up again when you roll the window down that way the teeth on the motor get used all the way around the thing.
  • ssauerssauer Member Posts: 1
    When ours did this it was part of the cruise control mechnism.
  • barry61barry61 Member Posts: 1
    I had that. The lock feed was broken and I had to remove, with the door closed, the door panel from the inside. I then was able to unlock and fix it. Do note that it will require some pressure to jar the door enough to get at some screws. Or search a junkyard and get a panel that matches yours and just cut away.
  • Your welcome fabdul, glad it is fixed.

Rugmankc
    I had the same problem on the passenger side. Take a drill and drill out the rivets. Use a punch to knock them if you need to. Afterward, invest in a cheap rivet gun and pop in the new motor after putting it in place.
  • windstarquestwindstarquest Member Posts: 2
    I bought this good looking Ford windstar V6 3.8L from a dealer on the condition AS IS.
    Unfortunately I bought the van
    without consulting someone else (expert) because the price was so attractive. The only obvious things I noticed that were wrong was that the ABS
    light and the brake lights were on. ANY suggestions ?
    I thought I could have it fixed by a local repair shop. The brakes were actually working fine and the tranny was shifting smooth.
    Few days after we got the van, it started stalling on the road for no apparent reason, specially after a stop or a traffic light (low rpms?).

I brought it to a local repair shop for complete diagnostic. I was informed that a brake valve (available only at the dealer), a tune-up with new wireset, a new drivebelt and a new air filter would take care of the problems. Estimated cost: ~$700.
    Obviously, I only paid for the diagnostic (~$86) and decided to take care of it myself using a Haynes manual. I bought some tools and the parts (except for the brake valve) and within a day, following the instructions in the manual, I completed the work (saving over $400).

While exploring the engine, here is what I discovered:
    The coolant had a strange color (dirty?) and seemed contaminated and the engine oil seemed to have lost its viscoity (I changed the oil recently!) and appear black. However, I have not noticed a drop in the level of the coolant tank since I bought the car. What could the problem be?

Someone told me that they might have put a stop leak in the coolant just so that they could sell it and maybe there is this "famous headgasket problem" with the car (I am nervous about this). Is there a way to easily find out if that is the case, specially for a novice like me? Does anyone know of the least expensive way to replace them if that is the case? Are there recall on the 1998? I read the recall on the 1995. I can not find any apparent leak from the exhaust.

Also the other day, the oil pressure light started flickering but then dissappeared.

If you have any suggestions or ideas or have experienced such problems (as minor as it might seem to be), PLEASE do not hesitate to reply.

Your help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.