Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• mlpntrmlpntr Member Posts: 61
    Had the same problem on my 95 and it was a bad computer. Do you get a check engine light?
  • telfordtelford Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the help-I will give it a try!!!!
  • jessie23jessie23 Member Posts: 3
    no engine light on, i had that problem awhile ago n had a computer chip replaced under warranty
  • redbaronsredbarons Member Posts: 4
    :( Have a 99 Winstar with approx. 90,000 miles & the check engine light is on ( again ) code states - Left & Right Bank TOO LEAN !! Ran Fuel Injector cleaner through and reset the light . Everything went great for quite a while ( almost forgot all about it ) but now it is back again . Car runs fine , smooth & same power !! Anyone have any problems with engine light with a TOO LEAN CODE ?? What did you do ? Seems that a cleaner should do the job ...
  • aaron01aaron01 Member Posts: 3
    hey Wayne,I finally decided to get online to research for answers to the same problems you are having with my 2000 ford windstar sel-speedometer,ometer,air conditioning,not sure on cruise,but I also replaced #10 fuse on drivers side and fuse immediately blows no time for a relay to get hot,I was just wondering if you were able to fix your problem any helpful information would be greatly appreciated,the windstar sel is a cool looking and comfortable van but after replacing transmission already and now this I am considering selling mine and it is way too hot with no ac right now,very frustrating problem and i just cant seem to figure it out,thanks for any help,Aaron
  • littlemomlittlemom Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with my 2001 windstar. It turned out to be a problem with the intake manifold. The bolts holding the manifold down had loosened over time, allowing air to come in. Watch the intake manifold while having some on press on the accelerator. If the manifold cover moves, it is allowing air to come in and will cause the check engine light problem you are getting. Hope this suggestion helps. :)
  • wojo2wojo2 Member Posts: 13
    You would think but not the case. There was a tech bulletin released on the too lean and too rich codes. Replace your MAF sensor. It's very easy to do. It's right behind the air filter houseing and is in line with the air intake. It's the thing with the wire harness attached.
    Have the computer checked. It's behind te glove compartment.
  • aprendizaprendiz Member Posts: 17
    I have the master lighting warning on, have not manual and dont know even what it mean. Any info? How to fix?
    Thanks
    What do you mean by master lighting?
    May be I'm wrong, but is the name as found in other Ford owner manual. It's a warning icon, like a "lamp on" with an "!" inside.
    Ah, that would be the master cylinder. Your brake light.
    First, check to see that your emergency brake is released. Next check the brake fluid level. If everything there is fine then change the brake pads (if needed). Next to check would be the brake lines and master cylinder. You maywant to have a technician check the brakes, brake lines, and master cylinder unless you have done it before.
    No it's not Brake icon, brake is red one and I know it. My unknow light is lightly yelow and it is in the right lower corner of the instrument cluster (windstar 2001). In a Taurus 2003 owners manual is referred as Master Lighting switch but my lights and sw seems to work properly.
    Thanks for the help
  • basem37basem37 Member Posts: 4
    hi i have problem with my windstar 2001 LX. the airbag light and ENGINE LIGHT is not on all the time. when i turn on the start key only these lights is not on. can anyone help me please with this problem. and please can anyone tell me is the 2001 ford windstar LX is good car or no. i just bought this car from 2 month ago and i'm scare if this car give me problems later. thanks
  • mikandjenmikandjen Member Posts: 2
    we had been having this problem as well. took it to a local shop who sent us to an electrical shop. they thought it was in the cluster as well.So we took to the dealer. turns out there was a stuck (broken) vaulve in the master cyl. that was causing fluid to drip onto the wiring causing everything to short out. Seems that they had seen it before as it took less than two hours to find and fix. $230 total with tax.
    Brake lights!! I have no brake lights at all! Any wiring around for a windstar 2001?
    Any fuse chart? or at least fuse code for stop light fuse?
    Thanks in adv
    Fuse and switch are ok. There is any relay in this system?, any wiring?
    Thanks
  • mrjjpmrjjp Member Posts: 1
    Every so often when I shut off my Windstar the cooling fans stay running and will never shut off. I disconnect the negitive cable from the battery and re-connect and it keeps running.. No one can resolve this.... Help???????????
  • matilematile Member Posts: 1
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. I believe this solution also solved our Fuse #10 repeatedly blowing (takes out odometer, speedometer, air conditioning, and ABS light comes on). We followed your advice and replaced the brake pressure switch with the redesigned switch (SW-6351 XW7Z-9F924-BA Brake Repair Kit) and so far the fuse has not blown. This part cost about $25.00 through the Ford dealer.
  • remi96remi96 Member Posts: 5
    Its at the dealer now. first they replaced the coil assembly, the van was misfiring, thats all fixed now. they reprogrammed my computer or updated it... now they are checking the transmission. Oh boy am I ever sorry I bought a Ford Windstar.. never again. only 30,000 and I can't tell you how many things have been fixed or replaced.Its irrelevant that I have my own extended warranty and a great plan too.. its annoying and I dont trust the van at all. :lemon:
  • bclaytonbclayton Member Posts: 2
    My speed control just QUIT, anyone delt with this problem?
    TIA Bill
    I recently brought in my van to the dealer (30,000 miles) cuz it was misfiring, and at 38 mph + it was shuttering. They replaced the coil assembly, updated my computer, now the other problem they say is the torque converter. they have to take everything apart for my extended warranty company to get more info on what they will approve. If the torque converter is replaced, does that mean the whole tranny needs to be done or what.. totally confused and annoyed that this is in the shop AGAIN. :confuse:
  • pepper4pepper4 Member Posts: 10
    Hi

When you first start the van it will run rough for 30 seconds and runs fine and idles fine then and i do not get a check engine light. The van has 114,000 miles on it.

pepper4
    Chances are that the torgue converter is clogged with bits of metal due to a damaged piston. You will likely need a complete overhaul. Mine has been through 3 and is a 1995 with 130k. First one was at 50K.
    thats great news, well before i go on my 2nd round, i will dump this and get something and not a ford thats for sure
  • aceladyacelady Member Posts: 10
    I have finally gotten to the point that I have cut a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light because I am tired of it flashing at me. I think it does it just to mock me.

The code says there is a misfire on one of the injectors, the injectors have all been replaced within the last two months, as has the alternator. I've also replaced the spark plugs and the wires.

Any ideas? My van is a '96 GL and I really do like the ride, am not crazy about the gas mileage, but it serves me fine ;):):)
  • bclaytonbclayton Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I recently had a similar problem with the kids 2003 van, Check engine light was flashing, took it to Auto Zone and they checked it on there hand held computer. It said check wires, plugs, coil, injectors.I replaced wires, plugs and coil and had same code show up. Finally took it to dealer who checked the injector, which were ok. They did a compression test and found a broken exhaust valve spring on #3 cylinder. This caused the engine to run rough. Replaced the spring now everything is all right.
  • frozennorthfrozennorth Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone; its my first post here but I was very active on CarTrackers until it went dead. I have read a few replies for this problem and I think it has been answered but I will add my 2 cents. The heating/air conditioning switches have small vacuum lines going to them and some of these lines go into engine compartment. The default situation when one of these lines develops a hole or leak of some kind is DEFROST only. So to fix, one must carefully examine all these lines to find the break. You may wish to start at the 3 dash switches. Escapes me right now how this panel is removed. A helpful hint-did someone just finish working in the engine compartment? Anyways, glad to be abord. SHADETREE 98 Windstar with potential ABS/Trac Control module problem
  • my3girlsmy3girls Member Posts: 1
    The ABS light is coming on intermittently. My local garage says it's a relay. They used to be able to replace relays but now it's a whole part replacement. Anyone have any ideas? I'm told it's safe to drive even with the light on.
    Could be arelay but these wonderful vans are famous for the ABS light (among other things. Ther is an issue with a ground wire that causes the ABS light to come on and Ford offers a fix kit for $10.00. Save your money.
    It's safe to drive with the ABS not working as long as you remember how to brake a car before ABS was a feature.
    Driving for a year with CEL on was very, very bad. You probably needed an injector. Check the oil and smell it for gas.
    Chances are you blew the engine.
    Mine has been going on and off for two years and i dont see any reason to spend anymore money than I already have on this car. i dont see any difference in the braking either ;)
    so your saying your speedometer,o-dometer,air cond,abs light was all disfunctional and your valve was stuck causing fluid to leak on a wire and short everything out,no offense but either your disfunctional or an all day sucker cause whats the chances of a wire being exposed without its protection on,and leaking fluid on that same exposed wire,theres a sucker born every minute you either work for Ford or just trying to be funny,thanks for the humor,if your serious you got took because this is definately a relay problem or brake switch prob of some sort which is much easier and cheaper fix,two hours to find it took them maybe two minutes incase you havent noticed alot of these people have this prob,while you where waiting for your vehicle for the other hour and 58 minutes,they where ordering lunch,ON YOU!!!!!!!!!Ford Windstar-SUCKS NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!useless van good for its looks and thats it
    Hi.. i have the airbag and engine light is not on when i start the car so i check my car on the computer and it's show code and i need to know how to fix it if anybody knows please thanks
    code : B2499 (COURTESY LAMP OUTPUT Failure) :cry:
    Could be a fuse or the bulbs.
    OK, it's 12:17 in the afternoon. I've had 3 hours sleep (just woke up) because from 9pm until 9am I was changing a fuel injector on a 95 Windstar 3.8L. All I want to know is who designed this stupid van? Not only do you have to remove the alternator and bracket. To do that you have to remove the serpentine belt. Then you have to remove the throttle body. Oh, the serpentine belt was so much fun even with the special tool. Well, to remove the throttle body you have to remove 4 bolts that you can't get to unless you are a 1/2 inch tall elf. Then once you get all of that off you have to remove the fuel pressure regulator. Yeah, that was a treat. Then you can't even lift the plenum all the way off because there is something blocking it that you can't remove. Oh, and to get to all of that you have to take off the antenna and wiper arms so you can remove the upper and lower cowl. So I was stuck with not being able to get the plenum all the way off and had to change the injector with about a 1/2 inch clearance. Try and remove the clip with that much space. So now the injector is in and it's time to put it all back togather. It was much easier taking it apart.
    I will never change another injector in this stupid van. I will pay someone $500 to do it for me just to save myself the blood(and lots of it), sweat, and tears. I even had the man helping but his arms were too big to reach some of the bolts. He's 250lbs. Even my arms (and I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs) were slightly too big (that's where the blood came from). So unless you are a very small 5 year old with an genius knowledge of cars I would suggest paying the shop.
    12 hours for ONE lowsy fuel injector.
    :confuse: i don't know i see many people dosne't like ford. but the same time i see too many people have ford cars. and i know ford not a cheap cars . so i don't know who should i beleieve people have ford and they love it or people hate ford :confuse: :confuse:
    let me tell you something about Fords-the f-150,mustang and a few other are decent but my 2000 windstar,I paid $8,600 beginning of year and had to put a new tranny,battery,now this speedometer,odometer,ac,abs light-disfunctional probs,the van looks and rides good but if you want a Ford,I got one for you cheap $6500 will buy it and Ive got well over $10,000 in it and thats recently so if you want a Ford Windstar with a new tranny buy mine ,BEFORE IT GOES OUT AGAIN!!!!!!
  • karneticskarnetics Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 windstar 8.0L. It is doing the same thing..
  • karneticskarnetics Member Posts: 2
    Here is my problem.. I was driving along with no problems.. Car is in great shape, new plugs, wires, and had coolant system work done 2 days before. All of the sudden my van just stop all warning lights came on. When I check under the hood, I notice I had no coolant. I check for any leaks and did not find any. I put water in the coolant jug and the car just drunk it up. I waited for about 4 hours for the car to cool and tried to start it.. It started but it was ruff and smoking out the exhaust pipe. I added one full jugg of coolant and then a half of jugg. I started the car again, it started, and didnt sound as ruff, but it was still smoking out the back.. None of my warning lights were on. But I did here the sound of oil bubbling within the head where the rockerarms are located.

Anybody know what could be going wrong??
    I'm assuming the smoke was white?
    Sounds like a blown head gasket. Don't drive it or you'll blow the engine. Take it to Ford and tell them to fix it under the recall.
  • shadow281shadow281 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone i'm new here, i am from Houston Texas, I have a 1998 Ford Windstar Van and i have read several of your complaints and they all sound eerily familiar, what did i get myself into buying a Ford? My new problem is that it goes in reverse, and it will go in drive, but it feels as if the parking brake is stuck or something, the rear driver's side wheel isn't turning, i hardly ever use the parking brake, and i have ABS, so why do the brakes appear to be locked? Has anyone else ever encountered this?
  • racwizardracwizard Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am trying to replace my alternator on my 1998 winstar 3.8 and I can't Juggle the bel;t on what else do I have to loosen
  • aceladyacelady Member Posts: 10
    What years are included in the recall?

My van sucks the coolant, but as long as I keep the overflow tank filled we are fine. It seems like it sucks more down running the heat than the air.

There are no noticable leaks and I have checked.
  • kellypmk1kellypmk1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same symptoms on my 98 Windstar and your instructions worked great. FYI for anybody else: The FORD part number is: F68Z-19986-AA. Paid $26.95 from the dealer here in AZ.

Thanks again for the info.

Pete
  • dude10dude10 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Windstar LX Deluxe, 3.8 liter engine, with 22,000 miles on it (not a typo, 22,000 miles). It has been fine since new, but I noticed recently that the car will not redline. It gets to about 4200 rpm then it kind of stutters until you let off the gas. I do not remember this from anytime before. Is it a problem or just some kind of governor?
    It probably just wants you to drive it more often. I haven't checked to see if mine red lines but since it's a 95 I don't think i want to take that risk.
    Why are you trying to red line it anyway?
  • deathtoforddeathtoford Member Posts: 1
    I am having some vibration issues with the transmission in my 99 windstar

When I approach 60km/h the vibration starts and at 70km/h the vibration gets worse but if I go faster to 80km/h or above the vibration goes away. Also, when I get to 70km/h with the vibration happening I hit OD OFF, the transmission shifts and the vibration goes away. If I drive around for a while the vibration will come back at about 70km/h with OD OFF. Also when I am driving with the OD ON and the vibration starts I hit OD OFF and nothing happens but most of the time when I do hit OD OFF the problem goes away. What am I looking at here, the torque convertor? or is the 4th gear the problem?

The transmission fluid is fine, changed 5000km ago

Thank you, DTF
This discussion has been closed.