Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• jlpicard1jlpicard1 Member Posts: 3
    If you do the following, your dealer may have little choice but to help you!!

For the 3 years I have owned my 1999 Windstar, the vehicle has pinged incessantly, "grunted" on start-up and been plagued with electrical problems. All responses from the dealer, until yesterday, were "it's normal", or "cannot duplicate". With my warranty running out soon I wanted things fixed before I had to pay. I looked right here on the Edmund's site and pulled up the TSBs on 1999 Windstars. There are 240 of them! 240 bulletins from Ford to their dealers regarding problems that have been reported on 1999 Windstars! I looked through all 240 TSBs writing down the numbers and dates of the TSBs relating to the problems I was having. I then made a list of the problems I was having and the TSBs(with dates) which were issued by Ford regarding the problems I reported. I gave the list to the service manager when I dropped my vehicle off. On the repair order, next to each problem I reported, the service manager noted "customer has TSBs written down"! When they called me at the end of the day (the van had always been there for days previously) the "cannot duplicates" and "it's normals" were addressed and parts were ordered to perform additional repairs(per TSB)!

This post may be premature as it's only been 24 hours since pick up, but so far no pinging for the first time in 3 years!(6+TSBs), no electrical problems(2+ TSBs) and parts are on order to fix my "grunting"(3+ TSBs)!

Sorry for the long post, but the moral of the story is, if you go in with the TSBs written down, they cannot deny the problem exists, and if they cannot deny it, they may feel they have little choice other than to hopefully fix it!

Good luck!
  • jlpicard1jlpicard1 Member Posts: 3
    12-13 mpg is what my 1999 LX gets when my wife does lots of super short trips around town (especially during winter or during summer with the A/C on). I do not have bad injectors and nothing is clogged! I get low-mid 20's on the highway. You can boost mpg by using synthetic oil and switching to a K&N air filter. Best prices on K&N air filters are at

www.performanceint'l.com.

Keep us posted on your progress!
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    My 95 Windstar was totaled several months ago. Fellow in a pickup ran a red light. Anyway, I was happy with it. Had 135k on it and I really looked forward to a few more years of service. Anyway, I went back to my Ford dealer and found a 99 SE at a really nice price. However, I did go to NHTSA site, went to the recall area and found 5 of them and had them fixed prior to my accepting the car. Three were minor and two were critical. There were also some TSBs but many of them were for specific cars that were manufactured during certain times and there were some with as few as 50 per TSB. Some of them seemed to be almost repeats of others.
  • bobmay35bobmay35 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Windstar that I purchased used a year ago Aug 2000. I now have 50,000 miles on it and have been having transmission problems. I took it to my dealer and one of the bearings disenagrated and evidently destroyed the whole transmission. It had to be rebuilt at a cost of over $2100. I call this premature failure and probably caused by defective material used for the bearings.

I contacted Ford but they like to do the two step around the problem. The dealership is fine it is the people in Detroit that are a problem.

I also learned that Ford is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. I now understand why. They sell junk that they know is defective.
  • bobmay35bobmay35 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Windstar that I bought used Aug 2000. It has 50,000 miles on it now and the transmission had to be completely overhauled because it appears a bearing in it disenagrated and destroyed it. It cost over $2100 to get it fixed. I call this premature failure and wonder how many others have had the same problem.

I contacted Ford, after a run around they will not take any responsiblity for the problem. I now know why they are not a member of the Better Business Bureau.
  • budd85budd85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 windstar with 42,000...I bought used with 29,000 in 1999. It die on me this past weekend...I thought it was the alternator...After having my mechanic take a look he replaced the alternator...2x...Still no good...He advice taking it to a ford dealer....To make a long story short there was A SHORT IN THE WIRING HARNESS THAT CAUSE TOO MUCH AMPERAGE TO THE ALTERNATOR AND CAUSE THE OTHER 2 ALTERNATOR TO BURN OUT...SO ANOTHER ALTERNATOR WAS PUT IN.ALSO THE BATTERY HAD TO BE REPLACED..
    THE FORD PEOPLE CANNOT GIVE ME AN EXPLAINATION AS WHY THIS CAN HAPPEN......COST $1100. DID ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM????? I'M NOT SURE IF I SHOULD KEEP THIS VAN..
    Things break or go bad. My 95 had a ground wire corrode and snap off at 100k. Rare, but one of those things. It never really let me down. I even had the head gasket replaced under the extended warranty and had a loaner van to use. It is regrettable it cost what it did but now that it is fixed why sell it? You just invested more money in it. If you luck is like mine you would sell it and then nothing would go wrong for the next five years. One rule of repars them I have used is if repair bills over a year equate to a new car payment them it is time to sell. My wife has a 94 Probe GT that needs repairs once in a while but I average only about $50 a month on it, not including the expensive routine maintance every 30K. It have 115K on it now. If it starts to drain you sell it. It really sounds like a rare event. I have not seen the issue on any thread. Good luck
  • jsiedhoffjsiedhoff Member Posts: 18
    In my previous posts, I told an ongoing saga of my 2000 Windstar which I was able to get Ford to replace. After two months of fighting with Ford, I was put in a 2002 with an extended warranty at no extra charge. Well, both sliding doors are rattling EXTREMELY loud and I am not happy. This should not happen on a brand new vehicle with less than 1,000 miles on it. Our 2000 problems started with a rattling door also but it was only the right side. This two model year newer van is worse!! Has anyone else had problems of any kind with their 2002? Please let me know.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    The time has come for Ford and I to part ways...

Hello everyone. My name is Pat. And I am a 95 Windstar owner (soon, a NEVER AGAIN Ford owner).

I bought this vehicle from my sister-in-law and her husband in 1998 when it had 35000 miles on it. Since that time I have had the transmission replaced three times. I have had the motor replaced two times. Each time I kept thinking that this can't happen again. It did. I paid for additional services (like inner tie rods, outer tie rods, new brakes after a rust through failure at 65 MPH that nearly killed my wife and children, new blower motor, new tires, et. al.) thinking that after these major failures, the vehicle should last longer. It just does not want to - not for me anyway. NO ONE has serviced my vehicle other than Apple Valley (MN) Ford. I have been through three service managers and two Ford Customer Service Representatives. I tried the "be sweet like sugar; not bitter like vinegar" route. I tried the squeaky wheel route. I have begged, pleaded, negotiated, and squandered to have Ford replace the vehicle under the buy-back option implemented in March 2000 that ran for (about) six months. But my van didn't break down in this window (the 2nd engine blew in January 2001, therefore, I was not eligible). Nor would the Ford CSR make an exception.

And so, it begins again. Now the engine is knocking UNBELIEVABLY hard. Just over 10000 miles since you put the last motor in. I can't speculate on what is wrong. The last time I did a self diagnosis I was told that the oil in my coolant reservoir was not possible because the coolant from the engine tested out with no trace of oil.

This is the second Ford vehicle that I have owned in the last 10 years that you do not seem to be able to fix. Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I have fought the battles. You have worn me down. Not even talking to the executive offices helped. Bottom line, you are losing this customer. Too bad, too; judging by the recent performance of your company.

The local technical college is going to get a free 95 Windstar with 86000 miles on it. I'll take the tax write off; while it is still running anyway. I'll sleep at night knowing that I did not sell it to another "uneducated" mini-van buyer. My mother brought me up better than that.

Good-bye Ford.
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • slbaron24slbaron24 Member Posts: 5
    PLEASE READ....Do you own a '95 Windstar nearing 135K miles?..My '95 W/S has 135K miles on it and the speedometer is going wacky. When I'm following traffic (going about 65MPH), the speedo says I'm going between 90-120MPH! The speedometer is also making a lot of noise. The only thing it could be is the speedo-head. The dealership is playing games with me because they said that they haven't heard of this problem. They told me it would be $80 just to tell me what is wrong with it. ((I didn't believe them because I had already changed out the speedometer. I went and got a speedometer out of the junkyard (because a new one goes for $500, yes $500!!!) This speedometer worked fine for about 5,000 miles, than it too, started doing the same thing the original speedometer was doing....)) Since I knew I was getting jerked around, I asked for Ford's main #. When I called Ford, the CSR I spoke with said that he had heard a lot of complaints of the same kind. He also told me that Ford wasn't paying for it, but to save my receipt, so just in case in the future, that, if there would be a recall, I would get my $ back. There is a TSB on a "wavy and sticking speedometer" already, but I for some reason they still want me to pay to fix it...This doesn't make any sense to me.....Anyway, IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE CALL THIS PHONE # (800)392-3673. This is Ford's main #. The CSR told me if there are enough complaints that they would have to issue a recall!!! It is too much of a coinsidence that 2 speedometers have the exact same problem. This tells me that there must be a lot more out there. (Sorry so long!)
  • pandboypandboy Member Posts: 28
    My 96 Winstar only has 36000 miles. I bought new. It had a series of small problems occurred just out of warranty. Two rear view mirrors fell out at 40th month. Started about 1 year ago, "Check engine", "brake" and "ABS" went on and off randomly, I knew that were related to sensor or associated electrics and disregarded. 9 months ago, the speedometer started a wacky problem, whenever I drove over 40 MPH, the speedometer shows all over the map, ranging from 50-120 mph. At the same time, a loud humming noise came along. AS long as I drove below 40 mph, I am fine. The dearler wanted charge over $100 to "look into" the problem. I refused to pay the ripoff. I am wondering any other people has the same problem. I called the Ford CSR, there is no recall on this problem in the near future. This is the first big3 car I ever own. I had Camry and Cressida before, never had such headaches.
  • sel3sel3 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2000 SEL and we drive on some very rough roads. I have done three things that have reduced 95% of the door rattling noises.

1 - Ensure the door's front rubber bumpers are in place. I lost one and I thought the door was going to fall off the van.

2 - Ensure the door is properly aligned. My dealer never got is right, so I did it myself.

3 - Take some black felt with a sticky backing and fit is inside the two slots on each door (top and bottom) that receive the two plastic tabs on the door jam. It is best to use a large piece of felt and make several adjustments and cut away the excess.

I know you should not have to do this, but if you are as picky as I am, the dealer will mostly likely not fix the problem. It is a poor design.
  • nevadamom1nevadamom1 Member Posts: 7
    I know how you feel Wholigan, we just got rid of our 95 Windstar. We were on vacation when it (again) developed problems, we barely made it into Boise. We were stranded 6 days with no car waiting for it to be repaired. The problem this time: a mass flow sensor went, 02 sensor went, which plugged the catalytic converters. Luckily the catalytic converters were covered by warranty (We had 78K on it). What took so long was the dealer had to send away for the part. The "deathstar" had just been in the shop a month earlier for a bad ABS sensor and a timing chain gasket cover leak.
    I decided while we were stranded in Boise that when we got home we were getting rid of it. After a blown head gasket, a bad gauge cluster,interior trim falling off, and what happened this summer, we were luckier than many other 95 windstar "victims" out there.
  • jmoore207jmoore207 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 98 Ford Windstar from a "reputable" dealer in Kennesaw, Ga. It has 52,000 miles on it. I made a trip to NC and back and realized what a mistake I made, it has been in the shhop for 2 weeks now, I haven't owned it a month yet. I got the extended powertrain which is a good thing since they had to replace the transmission. Also, wrong are the air idle control valve (stalling), they had to replace the the throttle body and my rear heat wasn't working, I am supposed to get it back today and not sure what they are going to stick me with (bill). I have had the van less than 30 days what recourse do I have? I know the transmission will be at least $100 (deductible), I am not sure what they will charge for the other stuff. my e-mail is jmoore207@hotmail.com if anyone has any info that may help me, please respond fast. I feel like driving it through the showroom floor!!!
  • jmoore207jmoore207 Member Posts: 3
    Foolow up to previous post. I just got the damage and the dealer ate almost all of it. I was charged $100 for the deductible. I am still getting rid of this p.o.s. soon. By the way if you are in the Atlanta area and want a new or used Lincoln/Mercury check out Pugmire in Kennesaw. I have to say they were great. Tney ate about $1200. The guy I dealt with was Tommy Sugg. I can't put down everything Ford makes but stay away from the Windstar!!!!!!
  • bloemiebloemie Member Posts: 8
    I own a 95 Windstar with 65,000 mi. I have had all the usual problems such as the speedometer, head gasket and finally the transmission. It seems the FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON went out in the tranny and the repair cost $ 1620.

There was a TSB issued in 1994 (1 yr before I bought the car) that stated that the aluminum forward clutch pistons were failing and if they did they were to be replaced by a STEEL version. I will be in small claims court next week. My question is: Are there any of you windstar ownwers out there who have succesfully collected on this issue ? It is technically a breach of the warrenty of mechantabillity because they sold the car with a known latent defect.
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 32
    I had a very similiar problem in my 98 last Spring. It was the speed sensor. The Ford dealer knew what the problem was right away when I explained the symptoms.
  • rjdlsrjdls Member Posts: 1
    At 37,000 miles, accelator broke and had it fixed. A year and a month after it broke again at 67,000 miles. Anybody had so same headache I had. I would not think accelerator cable should break so often?

At the same time at 67,000, I need to change the front wheel because the welding in the joins is leaking air. I do not know about you guys but this may be the last I will own a FORD!
  • slbaron24slbaron24 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I have a '95 Windstar which is doing the exact same problem. Isn't it VERY agitating. Anyway, the dealer told me the same thing ($100+ to look at). The thing that is bothering me a lot is that there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the Windstars for a "waving and sticking speedometer" (see alldata.com). Doesn't this mean that they know there is a problem with them? The only thing I figure the problem to be is a bad speedometer head. Changing it is not the problem for me, because I can do it myself. The real BIG problem I have is that the part costs around $500.00 (yes, $500.00!!!). The whole instrument cluster has to be replaced, because it comes as one unit. (like Ford didn't know what they were doing...:( ) My first post is the one before yours (#713), feel free to read it. I'm hoping that we can get all the people with this problem together and fight Ford together...strength in #s... I'm sure there are a lot of people with the same problem. Also, feel free to e-mail me if you want..sslbaron24@earthlink.net....It's about time these big automakers stand behind their mistakes!!!
    My 95 was totaled by a pickup at a light with 135K on it. Air bags and seat belts work. I must have been lucky because except for the head gasket it never let me down. I had some problems with the speedometer head at 35K (replaced)and a few electronic gremlins with the sliding door (lights inside stayed on when the door was closed) but other than that it was a good van. After 100K a ground wire rusted through and the van would not start. It was in my garage when it happened so I was able to fix it. I had the rotors ground at 65K and replaced at 110k but that is not really all that bad. Other than that just change the oil and filter. No transmission trouble, no AC (front and rear) trouble, etc. Now then, I was fanatical about making sure the major services were done on time. I replaced it with a 99 SE and am happy with it so far.
  • pandboypandboy Member Posts: 28
    Penguin: Do you remember how much did you paid for the repairment, I have not so far fixed any problems yet as listed in messege #713. Luckily, I only drive less to miles to work. This certainly is my only Ford for my lifetime.
  • kevwhkevwh Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a 1999 Ford Windstar since March of this year. After one month of ownership, I noticed a pinging noise coming from the engine anytime I accelerated in the least bit. I tried putting in 93 octane gas, but that didn't work. I also added various brands of gasoline additives that are supposed to eliminate engine pings, and those haven't worked either. I noticed someone posted earlier that there is a TSB from Ford on this. Does anyone know what this TSB number/date is or what the problem might be? My Ford dealership says this is a known problem with Windstars, and there is no fix for it. I can't believe that to be true. My transmission also shifts into gears very hard, but I can live with that. This pinging noise, though, is extremely annoying. My van has 38,500 miles on it, and I have an extended warranty, which I'm positive I will be using a lot. I certainly appreciate any help with the pinging.
  • rascar66rascar66 Member Posts: 3
    It took me eleven months to get my pinging problem solved, but it is solved. First of all, KEVWH, the TSB which is the "Factory Fix" is TSB 00-21-8, dated 10/09/00. This work was done to my car and it did not work. In the end the Dealer had to totally replace the PCM. They can re-boot, re-program, re-calibrate the PCM but only the replacement worked. I live in SE NC and the dealer[car had 19k on it when I bought it] was reasonable to work with. I spent much time right here on Edmunds.com educating myself to all the difficulties others were having with the "pinging 99's." Then once I had a fat file of documentation I let the Dealer know that I knew what was going on. That helped immensely.
    Do NOT switch to high test gas - it tends to carbon up the engine which becomes yet another problem. Stay with a Major Brand Regular - like AMOCO, for example. There is a recall on 99 WS Trans also. Try #00B51 that may be the number. Seems like your Dealer Service Dept is not well motivated to help. If thats the case try another Ford Dealer if convenient.
    My beloved Ford dealer charged $32.oo for the speed sensor and 3 hours @ 60/hr to replace it.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Either the sliding door contacts may be dirty or the switch built into the tailgate latch. For the sliding door contacts, look in the doorframe, you should see four silver circles that make contact with four plungers built into the door. Try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. You might want to try that first. With the switch in the tailgate, spray some contact cleaner into the latch mechanism.
    I had the same problem with my 95. The contacts were dirty. I cleaned them every few months and had no trouble. It was totaled a few months ago and I picked up a 99 SE. The contacts were dirty and I cleaned them up. So far no trouble with it.
  • rkarrayrkarray Member Posts: 1
    2000 Windstar on acceleration has grunting noise. Does anyone know the TSB Number in relation to this problem which I read here happened on the 99 model.
    I cleaned the contacts on the sliding door and sprayed contact cleaner on the liftgate latches, but it stills dings. Interesting though, when it is cold, and it has been in the 20's at night here, it doesn't ding. It seems it just does it when the temperature is warmer. Also, I can drive with the indicator saying the door is ajar and then sometimes, it just goes out after a few miles. Oh well. It's a Ford.
  • soooeysoooey Member Posts: 2
    I have owned this 99 WS since May of 99. Presently has about 65K miles. So far we have replaced ball joints at about 25K, several sensors, complete front brakes and now the latest..... about 3 months ago, the engine light came on. At that time the dealer did not know if it was the sensor or a real problem. They replaced the sensor costing me over $200. This past weekend the light comes back on, now they tell me the top end needs to be replaced. Is this code for the gasket problem of earlier years? "They want to make me a deal and have Ford cover 80% of the cost since I always get my service at the dealer". Estimate is $200.00 to me. I figure it should be covered by the sensor I replaced 3 months ago!

I too have fought with them over the pinging issue, but had not found this site until today. I have printed several of the posts and will take them with me when we get the van back...Thanks for the ammunition. Dave
  • kevwhkevwh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, rascar66, for the in-depth information about my pinging problem. It made me feel armed and ready to do battle with my dealership! I called the service manager and explained my pinging problem, again, and gave him the TSB on it. He looked up the history of my van, and, shockingly, this TSB had not been performed on my van, even though I purchased it from them many months after this "fix" was issued. I took them my van a couple of days later to get this fix performed, and, of course, TSB 00-21-8 didn't work, just as you said. The pinging is still there, although it's not as pronounced as before, but it is still loud enough to annoy me. I told the service manager if this TSB fix didn't work, then he needed to replace the PCM. He didn't commit to doing that, but now that they have no other rabbits to pull from their very shallow hat, I'm hoping they'll go ahead and replace it. If they refuse, I'm going to look for another dealership. Thanks again for the information, and I'll keep you updated on my very frustrating, but necessary, journey.
  • foundonroaddeafoundonroaddea Member Posts: 10
    I am back after 9 relatively good months. I have a 95 windstar with a replaced head gasket(12-00), a new engine(4-01) and now the transmission is shot. What to do? I have been trying to check on the history of the 95 Windstar and the Transmission problem, but only finding a random number of entries. How popular is this problem? Do I have a foot to stand on if I complain to Ford? We are looking at purchasing a new vehicle, and I can't even believe I considered a newer Windstar.....not gonna happen. If you know of anyone who has more info on the Transmission problem, please let me know. Thanks
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    One of the problem areas with the 95 Windstar was the transmission. There was a forward (clutch?) piston which at that time was made of aluminum and had a tendency to fracture and fail. It was replaced in the 96 Windstar with a stainless steel piston and the transmission has proven to be more reliable.
  • bloemiebloemie Member Posts: 8
    Paula (Foundonroadea)

The 95 transmission has a whole history of failure. It usually is a forward clutch failure. I took the local dealership to small claims court over the fact that ford knew that this part would fail when they sold me the car. A TSB was issued in 94 to replace the aluminum part with a steel part as mentioned in the last post. The case was promptly bumped it up to civil court and action is pending. One good site to get info is www.magma.ca/~jheinze . Hope your dealeship supports you better than mine did.
    kevwh, you may not think your WS pings very loudly now, but wait till next spring when you drive with the AC on. Then you will really hear pinging.
    So, stick to your guns on the PCM replacement. Make CERTAIN that they know that you know what you are talking about - that PCM replacement is not just a frivolous shot in the dark by you. Actual cost to FoMoCo/Dealer for both the replacement and the re-programming of the PCM is not much over $100, as I recall.
    I recommend that you keep a journal on you v. FoMoCo on this issue - its important.
    Good luck and keep us all posted.
  • dwatts1dwatts1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 95 here in Canada in 97, and for the most part, have had pretty good luck with it. Until recently. I guess 1st real problem was a speedometer. On the highway, it would jump around like crazy at 110 kph. Resolution - replace speedometer, of which I now have to refer to a sticker on the door, and add it to the existing odometer for my complete mileage on the vehicle. 2nd third and fourth problems have just arisen. 2nd problem, transmission. Seemed like the shifts were getting harder, and then one day, 1st was real jumpy, and 3rd was none existant. Bill for rebuild - $2300 Canadian. When they returned my vehicle, a note on the bill stated that the brakes required replacement. Take it to a local mechanic, and the rear drums are screwed, but says they'll last another 15-20k. Bill $290 Canadian. When I drop off the van for the brakes, I returned home to see a leak on my new driveway. Call the mechanic back, and ask him to look for leaks. He calls back 5 minutes later and says the water pump is shot. Takes off the water pump, and the housing for the timing chain is shot. When it rains it pours. Bill for the latest venture has run me another $1200 Canadian. Probably the last Windstar I own. The issue I have with it all is that the vehicle is paid for, and I don't want to have to get into a monthly payment just yet.
    Well, I have spoken with the dealer about the transmission. They did the diagnostic ($135). Yup the transmission is shot. Will cost another $2900 to put in a rebuilt one. How do we find out if it is the forward clutch piston? I ask the dealer this... well, we can't find out until we tear down the transmission...($1800). Back to square one. We are doomed if we do and doomed if we don't. Anyone know more than me about this? Please share!
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    Ok, you paid $135 for a diagnostic and they were able to tell you the transmission is shot. Why is the transmission shot? What did they do for $135?
    How were they able to determine the transmission required replacement in lieu of a rebuild or repair? It seems reasonable that they should have some idea what is wrong to be able to determine the transmission requires a replacement in lieu of a repair. Is $1800 the cost to repair your existing tranny or just to tear it down? I ask that question because it seems very close to the price dwatts1 indicated he paid to have his tranny rebuilt in Canada (post 740).
  • soooeysoooey Member Posts: 2
    Just got off the phone with the Service rep. My Van is ready for pick up. They replaced the intake manifolds. He told me this is the 3rd they have done with one more scheduled. Ford Engineering is involved. They seem to be handling this well. The dealership made the
    contact to Ford, got me a loaner car and is getting 80% coverage on the repair from Ford. He told me if this becomes a "Program" then Ford will reimburse me the 20% .... I told him about what I read about the 2000 manifold change, he is looking into it. He also said he would verify that my Van has the latest PCM code for the pinging issue. He is very much aware of it...

Will keep you all posted.

Dave
  • tuneuptuneup Member Posts: 1
    I am also one the cursed Winstupid owners. Previously, I successfully drove the heck out of my 89 Mercury Sable. Anyway it seemed that it was a good idea at the time.

The head gasket failed on me this fall and I now have a new engine (6 months before the 7 year warranty period was over). Before this I was shopping for a new van because it was a bit stress full to have the engine and transmission woes hanging over me. Having reduced it mainly to the transmission I am wondering if anyone has taken it into the shop to do a preemptive strike on the forward clutch piston. How much did you spend? Everything seems to be working fine now. The resale value is so low now I'm inclined to try to deal with this.
    Jvirginia, in answer to your question, we have no idea what the $135 covered. We assume they put the car on the computer and it came back with -transmission troubles. The dealer was able to tell us that there were metal shavings in the burnt transmission fluid. I never thought to ask if they were aluminum or steel shaving... a simple magnet would tell us, but how do we find out now? The $1800 is just the tear down cost. The cost of the rebuilt engine is $2900. Anyone have any suggestions.
  • excelent3excelent3 Member Posts: 197
    Purchased Aug of 2000. Has had 3 recalls since. Poorest paint job I have ever seen. We are Fords attempt to "win us back" as a valued customer. Our '95 Taurus LX wagon blew two headgaskets. Ford purchased it back for $6300 + $3000 coupon and 0.9% interest for 5 years. It was a good deal at the time. Took delivery on the Windstar, first thing I noticed was all the small particles of hair and dirt in the paint. Left year quater panel had a piece as big as a pencil eraser! They offered to paint it. I said I did'nt want it. They said I would lose the 0.9% rate if I didn't purchase by following Monday. They put us in a corner, found out later I could have got the rate on a different unit, because they could'nt deliver a satisfactory product. It goes on further with problems with service dept. Never, EVER, will I buy a Ford again. Purchased a new Kia Sedona minivan totally loaded for $22,995 last month....no comparison...great van...great warranty for the money and a first rate paint job!
  • mike01075mike01075 Member Posts: 3
    Man, I thought I did my homework. Looking up safety specs., reliability, Consumer Reports, ect. I never thought I would have the problems that I do now. I just bought a 2000 Windstar LX with 34,000 miles on it and had problems since day one of purchase. I bought it in December and it has been in the Garage more than in my driveway. I recently had the motor replaced @ a Ford Dealership due to the "pinging" heard around the world as well as a Tranny replacement. Transmission works fine now, but the pinging is still there after 80 miles on the new motor with the smell of oil burning while at a stop light with the heat on. I traded in my 1992 buick LeSabre w/ 162k miles with no problems for these headaches? I have printed out some related TSB's and will bring them to the dealer with my Winstar. Any other "real" advice would be great.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    All these posts make me nervous about holding on to my 97 Windstar with 62K miles on it. The only two problems I have right now is a passenger power window that is toast and a speedometer that makes all kinds of noise.

Occassionally the tranny makes hard shifts during stopping/starting maneuvers when the engine is cold. But that never happens when the engine is warm.

I've put this van through the ringer, as I've been pulling my camper for the past 5 seasons. My current camper is about 2400 lbs, and the HP and torque of the 3.8L engine is excellent.

Still debating on trading it in on a pickup truck, maybe even the new Avalanche. But like someone else posted, it's tough to go back to that monthly payment once you've paid a vehicle off.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Midlife-

Keep in mind that I have 95WS with three replacement motors (52500, 75000, 85000). Having said that...

I have found it VERY interesting that the bulk of comments/issues/postings surrounding the Ford WS have been suprisingly LIGHT for 1997. Obviously the 95/96's had problems... Then starting again in 98, a bunch of electrical problems came forward - with occasional tranny and engine/head gasket posts.

Regardless, here is some food for thought. I have been fortunate in that Ford has paid for all the motor replacements. One theme that has run true on this board: if you are out of the warranty, you are out of luck! I have worked with folks that have had their motor blow right where you are now (just over the 60000 extended plan) and Ford, quite literally, will not work with them. At all. No flexibility. I am certain that this is at least partially due to the recent performance of FMC in the last year. To admit yet another design problem at Ford would be disastrous (yes, the 3.8L has design issues). I really do find it pretty amazing that you have been pulling a trailer and have NOT had problems!

Its all risk/reward. Personally, I keep thinking that the van should last (at least) another three years because they keep putting new motors in mine! Well, lets say that tie rods, brakes, and electrical gremlins have also been problematic for me.

Sooooo, I am rolling the dice once again. I know that I will be purchasing a new vehicle this fall. That means I risk another eight months of engine, transmission, or other catastrophic failure. If the engine fails, I am covered. If anything else fails, I lose the bet... Trade in for this thing is terrible. I have not asked lately, however, given my vehicle history and the current glut of used cars (the 0% thing really hurt trade in values), it can't be all that good. Edmunds says I should be able to sell it for $6000. Given my current tax bracket, I can donate it to a local technical college and take the $1680 as a write off. Any trade-in above $1680 would be that much less I have to borrow. It is just amazing to me that a vehicle that stickered for 25000 7 years ago is now worth (probably) 3000 to a dealer. This is why if I buy any vehicle other than a truck, I am buying a non-american manufacturer. The depreciation alone is just not worth it to people that want to KEEP ther cars as long as they possibly can.

One last thought... If the van has been good luck to this point, it just might stay that way.

My advise: If you like to gamble, keep your van another year. Take the money that would have been for a car payment and SAVE it for a down payment. Otherwise - get rid of it.
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • mike01075mike01075 Member Posts: 3
    Well, the dealer found nothing wrong with the speedometer (driving around the lot) but looks like this van will see it's third motor in 1 month. What does it take to get these things to stop nocking, besides shutting them off? Smells like the Lemon law to me... it sucks because I really like everything else about the van.
    To mike01075 & soooey. If your dealer has not REPLACED your PCM yet and re-programmed the new one likely your pinging will continue, new motors or not. Based upon the experience with my 99WS the factory fix [replacing intake manifold components] does not work. They need to chemically remove all carbon deposits then replace and reprogram the PCM. Anything else is smoke & mirrors. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    I also used my '96 WS to tow a boat trailer. I did it for 4.5 years with no trouble. My '96 head gasket problems did not arise until approx 80k miles. When I traded the vehicle at 96k, it still only had a seeping gasket.

The thing I find odd about the entire head gasket design problem is: Ford claims that the design changes they made in the '97 and later years have solved the problem. If that is true, why are they not using the new head gasket design engines as replacements when repairing/replacing failed '95 & '96 engines? For instance, wholigan says he is on his third replacement engine in his '95 WS. Why??? If the gasket design change has solved the problem why do his replacement engines keep failing? And the same question can be asked of the 3.8l engines in the Taurus and other Ford/Mercury models which use that engine. The changes Ford made do not impact or preclude using the newer designed engine as a replacement in the older model cars. They will fit and mate up transmissions and accessories. So, why do they continue to fail? Because the fix helps but does not solve the problem. And, to admit this would require Ford accepting additional responsibility and liability for the later year engine failures. And financially, this would crush the company.

I own 2 other Ford cars, a 1988 Taurus, 3.0l engine and a 1995 Ford Thunderbird, 4.6l engine. I am satisfied with both of those vehicles. Stay away from the Ford 3.8l engines. (And I would also avoid the new 3.9l engine)
    I guess I need to catch up. My 95 was totaled at 135k after many years of hard, and I mean hard, running. I would still have it but for the red light runner. Anyway, I have replaced it with a 99 SE. Very nice but I do hear a light ping. Nothing really serious or loud--just a light ping. Is what is being talked about or is it a heavy, really loud ping? Thanks,
    Now my '98 passenger power window won't work. The dinging of the door chime has stopped for the moment. Can't figure that out. Sprayed contact cleaner on the door contacts and about a week later, the chiming stopped. Now the power window. It's always something with the Windstar.
  • elarszelarsz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Windstar 3.8L V6 with 97,000 miles. Was in at the Ford Dealer getting new plugs and wires, (because of the high miles), when they told me that the "water jackets" were leaking into the engine. I have had no white smoke or over-heating in fact the van runs fine. I marked the level of the coolant overflow tank and check it weekly for change (its been a month now, the level is still at the pencil mark) I have changed the oil twice at 150 mile intervals and have not seen any coolant or foam in the oil, no engine lights either. What else should I look for? I have a feeling the Dealer is full of it.
This discussion has been closed.