Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

Comments

• kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Fed,

That won't work... the 323i had smaller rotors than the 330's, 328's, and I think even the 325's. If you go to tirerack and put in the 330, only one sixteen inch wheel shows up. If you put in the 323, there are 9 choices.

When I got my 330Ci, I wanted to go with a 16" winter setup. At that time, there was also only one 16" wheel that would fit over the rotors (ATA brand if I remember correctly). It was different from the one that's currently there so there may be other choices available elsewhere.
    If you decide to go with 17's, I would probably try to find a set of the 7-spoke BMW wheels that came on the sport-pack 323's and 325's. They're 8" wide and will support either 225's or 235's on all corners. There was a guy who used to hang around these boards (braveheart1) who did a lot of track work and swore by his 235 setup.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You're right, I didn't even think about the rotors being bigger on the later E46's.

BTW, the rotors would have been "ATE", not "ATA." Other than that grievous error, you're completely correct. :blush:
    Grieve no more... I was talking about the brand of the 16" wheels that fit over the rotors... but I think I got it wrong anyway... ASA, not ATA, was the brand, I believe.
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    My apologies for being away from the boards (its tax time of year!)
    And thanks for the generous responses and opinions to my questions about the wheel size and tire for summer sport driving.

It sounds like finding the right size 16" wheel is a challenge ... I do have 17" x 7 now - what would be the adv/disadv of using the 7" width vs the 17x8" widths ?
    And what size tire would fit the wheels?
    One fellow told me that 17s would be great with 225s ... but I don't know what wheel width he was considering....

I hate the idea of going to a tire store and buying what they want to sell me vs what I determine I need! But I need to define those needs better!
    Comments/ help????
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I hate the idea of going to a tire store and buying what they want to sell me vs what I determine I need! But I need to define those needs better!
    Comments/ help????

I strongly suggest calling Tire Rack and speaking with one of their sales advisors. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than one in twenty tire store salespeople know anything about selecting the right tire for a true performance car. I've used Tire Rack exclusively since 1992 with zero complaints.
    Call 'em.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I agree... call Tire Rack! They're extremely helpful and will be able to tell you your options.
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks for the endorsements. I will talk to Tire Rack.

It appears that the recommended wheel sizes for my 330ci are 8 x 8.5, with a less expensive but recommended alternative as 7 x 8.5 [not staggered, same sizes all around]... my stock wheels are 7 x 7.0. the larger wheels would be for summer driving schools and around town use.

Anybody have experience with these?
  • kathyc2kathyc2 Member Posts: 159
    Love my 2002 325 manual convertible. I've had it for 2 years, and haven't driven it much in snow- live in Northern IN. My son will be needing the Gran Prix I've been driving in the winter. Will snow tires make it similar to getting around in snow as my front wheel car?
    I'd really rather not add a 3rd vehicle. My division doesn't always get plowed out early, and I would be need to drive thru a few inches of snow on a semi-regular basis. Any one out there who has experience doing this? Suggestions?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    There's a discussion called BMW 3 Series Tires & Wheels -- hit the link above for BMW 3-series & run down the list of topics until you find it. It contains several hundred posts & what you'll find is that good cold-weather tires on a RWD car make a world of difference -- all good.

Buy the tires & a set of cheap wheels for use in the winter.

Enjoy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good suggestion, cdnpinhead, I moved the posts here. :)
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "Will snow tires make it similar to getting around in snow as my front wheel car? "

Better.
    Help! I'm feeling like a dumb blonde here, never a clue there was all this difference in tires. Obviously, my mechanic is no help, since he just told me I have all season tires on my 325 convertible now. I also have the sport package on it.
    Currently I have Bridgestone Turanza E30 225 45ZR17 91W, which Tire Rack lists as summer touring tires. These tires do need to be replaced because of tread wear, so I have to get some kind of new tires now.
    Do I buy summer tires now and then winter tires when it snows, or would replacing them w/ all season get me thru the snow?
    I love the way the car handles now. Would the all season reduce the crisp handling? I wouldn't say I drive it hard, but I do like to take the curvy, twisty roads.
    I wouldn't mind feeling every bump on the road a little less ;-)
    It would be nice to not have to find room in my garage to store extra tires, and ask someone with a pick-up to transport them for me twice a year.
    I've never really driven this car in the winter, but on the couple occasions I got caught in unexpected snow, it wasn't fun. Situation has changed, and I want to make the car my year round primary vehicle now.
    Any help from you guru's is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    It depends on where you live and just how often and how much snow/ice you expect to drive through.
    Northern Indiana. It's not unusual to have to drive thru 3-4 inches, since the county doesn't always get around real early. Also, my drive is sloped, not steep but sloped enough to notice it. I've driven my Gran Prix 7 years in this weather and only had a couple problems. Looking for something that will get me close to that snow-ability.
    I thought if I get all-season and they don't cut it, I could always then go w/ winter after the snow starts. But I don't know how much handling I would loose w/ an all season over a summer tire in the summer months?
    The summer tires you currently have are not known for high performance. They are designed for a smooth and quiet ride (and they're one of the best tires in that category).

If you go with a high-performance all-season, your handling will actually improve, but you'll sacrifice some quietness. All-season tires are basically a year-round compromise - they aren't the best at anything, but they are solid performers in all areas.

As for actual snow traction, I've gotten by with all-seasons during our infrequent snow storms here in Seattle, but they are not confident in the snow. If you are careful and don't try to go up/down too steep hills, you will be OK. Probably.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    but... when did you get this car? If you had it last year, did you drive it on the summer tires in the winter?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I've had the 325 for 2 years. I have my Gran Prix that I would drive in the winter, and the Bimmer in the summer. My son is going to be needing the GP this winter, and I don't want to add a third car. So, I'm seeing what I need to do the make the 325 a year round car. Getting caught in an unexpected snow storm on the interstate last Thanksgiving was not fun! But it sounds like with the correct tires I'll be okay.
    I'm heading out to the tire store, and hope with what I've learned here and what they tell me, I'll be able to make a good choice.

Thanks all.
    You really should check Tire Rack.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I only live about 40 minutes from Tire Rack headquarters, so I went there and they put me in a set of Turanga Serenity. So far, they feel very good on the car, a lot quieter than what I had before.

Hope they work on the white stuff this winter.
    A good choice; they should work fine.

• mmcviemmcvie Member Posts: 1
    I'm very close to purchasing a 335xi.. However the model in stock has the Sport Package with the optional 18" Performance wheel/tires. While I love the looks of this wheel, I live in Colorado and a "summer only" tire is not for me. And as you all know, they don't make an 18" RFT all-season. So I would have to go with Non-RFT All Season and carry a sealant/inflator kit. My gut tells me to go with the 17" all season tire/wheel package that's standard with the Sport Package. Can anyone tell me if the 18" wheel has any other benefits (other than it's looks or cornering) that would warrant going with it? Thanks
    Can anyone tell me if the 18" wheel has any other benefits (other than it's looks or cornering) that would warrant going with it? Thanks

If the car isn't going to see the track or autocross course I would go with the 17" wheels. You might also find the ride to be a bit more compliant and the 17" wheels will be less prone to damage from potholes and such.

• gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I put a set of snows on my '04 325i for the first time this winter (Dunlop WinterSport). Good thing, too, as we had a much snowier season than the first years that I owned the car.

I would have to say that my 325 with the full set of snow tires was better in the snow than my previous Audi A4 with all-wheel drive and the OEM all-season tires.

Just my experience. I also had them mounted at a shop that stores my alternate set of tires, so I just take the car there twice a year to have them swapped. Unfortunately, the price seems to go up every time, but for now it beats trying to store them at home.
  • gogonowgogonow Member Posts: 5
    Hi!
    Was really educated by the folks on this site.
    THANKS!

Like JingleJill...have a 2003 BMW 330ci (sports package with 17 ZR) and...in south Texas....Austin.....between this website and tirerack.com....did TONS of reading and research....settled on the GENERAL Exclaim UHP....380/91W/AA/A ratings.....got them for $80 each.....plus a a $50 dollar rebate back from Continental/General.......for 360$ at my door....50 bucks to come via rebate....and add $80 for 4 installed......ANYWAY, replaced OEM MIcheline Pilots.....car only has 35K......

The GENERAL tires are awesome!!!!!!!! Like JingleJill...we obviously have no snow....HOTTER than heck....and then when there is the occasional ICE....we stay home because of the steep hills......

The tires HUG the road and are super quiet in their first 2500K......should be relative to the 35K Michelins, right!!!!

We drive aggressively of twisty roads here every day....it holds the road like we are riding on rails.

Had previously replaced the back 2 with Michelins....for 210$ EACH!!!!!......so at 80 bucks each AND THE VERY HIGH RATINGS FROM USERS AT the TIRERACK site.....figure at $80 dollars each.....we can afford to have them wear out early!

Here is a separate question for SHIPO and the braintrust.....at what spec would you replace your rear rotors? Have multiple maintenance or extended warranties on this car.....dealer replaced pads last week but NOT the rotors!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERTISE!

Signed,
    the student
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    He replaced the pads and not the rotors? :confuse: That's the first I've heard of a dealer doing that.

FWIW, rotors for your car aren't all that expensive, however, unless you start feeling a pulsing in the brake pedal I'd leave them alone and run them until they're gone.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for your note! All of the work was covered by warranty. Here is what the invoice said..."rear rotors at 20.0 and 20.85MM and rear sensors were touching the rotors. Front breaks at 6MM. Removed and replaced the rear brake pads and sensor."

What the service rep could not tell me....what is the minimum on the rotor before they'll replace it! He did not know and I was late so I had to leave ASAP. Was wondering if they were trying to avoid doing work that is covered by my extended maintenance plan. Can NOT find minimum rotor specs any where!

HMMMMMMMMMMMM!

THANKS!
    :)
    I don't have the number off-hand, however, the minimum thickness is stamped on all rotors.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Will check it out!

Thanks again for your valuable contribution to this site!

Cheers from AUSTIN!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Yes the speed limiter is increased to 150 MPH if that means anything to you. I will be pickig up my 335xi Coupe in Gernmay in August and went with the 18s in addition to the Sports Package. I will get another set of 17" rims (prolly style 188s you are referring to with winter RFTs). There has also been some discussion that going with the 18s also gets an oil cooler added but not positive about this since some say they all come with oil coolers now.
    Was wondering if they were trying to avoid doing work that is covered by my extended maintenance plan. Can NOT find minimum rotor specs any where!

I wouldn't sweat it- especially if you aren't going to track the car. In my experience most 3 and 5 Series BMWs will only need new rotors every other pad change. That's been the case since the first E3s back in the '60s. The M cars and SUVs are another matter.

Good point roadburner! Driving on the winding and hilly roads here is fun but no track time for this car. THANKS!
    No problem, just glad to help. Enjoy your 3er!

• rmossrmoss Member Posts: 23
    I had the same issue yesterday with my rear brakes. Min spec is 18.4 mm, mine were at 19.3 mm. Dealer did not replace them.
  • len89117len89117 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 335 coupe with the 19" tires and sport package. I know people have a lot of issues with the 18' wheels, but the 19"s seem to have different ratings from Tire Rack. The only RFT replacement for them are Pirellis (which cost more and are consumer rated lower)). So I am wondering if the 19" Bridgestones wear as quickly as the 18"s and if anyone can recommend better rubber for me down the road?

Thanks
    not sure if GENERAL makes a tire for you but...the ones we put on our 330ci (sports package)...ARE AWESOME! great cornering, etc....just bought some GENREALSfor our Mercedes 430.....replaced OEM Michelins on both.....Great price and terrific feel and low noise....for a convertible!.....good luck
  • lmankofflmankoff Member Posts: 2
    I was talking to a ex BMW service rep and he told me that you had to replace your wheels in order to move to tires other than run flats. Is that true? I've heard troubling stories about RFTs (I have an 07 328i with 15k miles on it) and I'm thinking the RFTs may be a real liability... especially if I have to replace the wheels!!! :cry:
    No, it isn't even remotely true that you need to replace the wheels. If you feel like putting the poor ignorant soul on the spot, ask him or her to put it into writing, and then when he/she does, inform them that you're sending it to BMW. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • lmankofflmankoff Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Shipo - didn't make sense to me... is there a good all-round replacement? I live in Texas and really don't drive my vundercar hard at all but do want a tire that will do it justice and get more miles than 20k... thanks for you quick response!
    :D
    Geez, lots of options there. I'd personally go with either a Michelin or a Yokohama performance all-season tire. That said, there are lots and lots of folks who would chose Pirelli, Sumotomo, Toyo, Falken, Goodyear, General...

Go to TireRack.com and look up your car and then play with the filters to see a significant number of tires that will fit. ;-)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    Wow was I shocked. My 2007 328xi with all-weather RFTs was in the shop to replace faulty O2 sensors and the dealer lent me an 2007 328xi coupe with sport package and high performance tires. I live in New England and my car usually does very well in the snow. The ride home in the loaner coupe on dry pavement was terrific but overnight we received 3 inches of snow. The ride to work that morning was scary. The tires which had plenty of tread were terrible in the snow. Needless to say stopping distances were awful and despite the AWD the car floated from side to side going down poorly plowed roads at a cautious 25 to 30MPH. Even a small hill was a challenge. I was amazed that even with AWD just how bad performance tires really are in snow.

IDOC
  • hemanthhhemanthh Member Posts: 40
    Yeah,

I drove through the snow this morning on Mass Pike too. My 2006 330xi which I bought last month has replacement tires. The drive was NOT fun. All wheel drive, my as*.

I had more comfort riding in snow on my 97 Honda Prelude with year old performance tires from Tire rack. And Prelude is a front wheel drive, not all wheel.
    It has been said here many times that AWD, while offering good acceleration in slippery conditions, is no substitute for equipping a car with proper tires. While I might agree that an AWD equipped BMW with all-season rubber will make a passable winter time driver, short of living up in the mountains, I would MUCH prefer to drive a properly shod (i.e. with winter tires) RWD BMW during the winter months. That said, if I did in fact live up in them-thar-hills, I'd probably opt for AWD and winter rubber.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    "While I might agree that an AWD equipped BMW with all-season rubber will make a passable winter time driver..."

I live in a hilly part of CT where we get plenty of snowy/icy days. I also frequent the Green Mountains of VT to ski; Stratton and Okemo this weekend :). My 328xi with all-season Conti RFTs (now with 38K miles) is more than "passable" under winter conditions, its very good. It is far better than was my FWD Maxima with 4 snow tires. I'm sure that my 328xi with snow tires x 4 would be best of all but the down sides of expense, inconvenience of switching twice per year and a noisy rough ride make them undesirable. Based on my actual recent experience where I do agree with you is that performance tires, even on AWD, are awful!

IDOC
    "My 328xi with all-season Conti RFTs (now with 38K miles) is more than "passable" under winter conditions, its very good. It is far better than was my FWD Maxima with 4 snow tires."

While that may well be, I'd bet that a 328i with four winter tires would perform as well as or better than your all-season shod 328xi when in the white stuff in every driving metric except acceleration.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Why? Have you actually driven both or is this theoretical? As I said my FWD Maxima with snows x 4 was definitely not as good as my 328xi with all-season rubber especially when it comes to traction. To be specific there are several hills with stop lights at which in wintery conditions my Maxima would really struggle and the 328xi has absolutely no problem. So why would a RWD BMW with snows do better?? Frankly, I doubt it would. But I suppose this example of better traction equates to better acceleration. Additionally, you alluded to lateral acceleration when you said "every driving metric except acceleration" but honestly here I detect no advantage either way. Perhaps this in a small sense is apples to oranges but the Maxima with snows and the AWD BMW with all-seasons seem to handle twisties (and stopping) about the same. Admittedly, I try not to test the limits to avoid as Lynyrd Skynyrd said :"...oak tree your in my way." ;)
    While that may well be, I'd bet that a 328i with four winter tires would perform as well as or better than your all-season shod 328xi when in the white stuff in every driving metric except acceleration.

Agreed!

"Why? Have you actually driven both or is this theoretical?"

Those two particular cars? No.

That said, back when I worked for MB-USA, I was afforded the opportunity to drive an All-Season shod AWD and Winter tire equipped RWD version of the E-Class in a controlled environment (i.e on a track) in wintery conditions. Apart from the theoretical logic of the RWD performing better in turns and in braking due to it weighing less, having better Front-to-Rear weight balance, and having tires with more grip both laterally and linearly; the drives on the track handsomely underscore the true apples to apples difference.

As I said before, the AWD car with all season tires did in fact accelerate better (and by extension climb steep hills better), however, in the braking department, the winter tire shod RWD car stopped in a significantly shorter distance from any given speed (like forty feet shorter from 50 mph). That leaves turning; this is an area that showed mixed results with the RWD car handily besting the AWD car in all but the off-camber turn test (where the AWD was the victor by a narrow margin).

In addition, there was test between two versions of the E-Class and two versions of the Audi A6 that was published by Car & Driver a few years ago that quantifies what I've written with hard facts. If you're interested you might want to take a peek in their archives for the article.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • sammybmwsammybmw Member Posts: 19
    I just like to add, that AWD is not a requirement for Winter Driving. So why do so many people that live in the snow belt, want to pay the extra almost 2 grand ... many disadvantages like increased weight, decreased gas mileage, more noise, less balance, and less reliability. Is it really worth it? I frankly think AWD is oversold to the public, not just in BMW, but by many manufacturers. Forget most all season tires as useful in the winter, gets some snows and go light on the accelerator. I see more people in awd, fwd, and rwd drive cars just spinning their tires in the snow like they were testing on a dynamo. Maybe America should wean themselves off AWD as it has SUV's to save on gas. I'm obviously not a big fan off all these cross over AWD vehicles either, heavier and a little higher than cars of equal interior and luggage volume. The cross over awd vehicles are huge compromises, they just don't do anything really well.
    Very interesting and I'm sure all true. Nevertheless, in the real world of day to day driving, not on a test track but in the hills of New England, given my needs to climb steep driveways and other assorted hills the tremendous traction advantage of AWD even with all-season rubber out ways all the "measurable" (but of dubious real world value) advantages of RWD with snow tires. Perhaps if I lived in the flat land of say wintery Chicago I would opt for RWD with snow tires. But you see I must get up those hills and driveways which was often hard with even FWD and snow tires. Since one must prioritize, as a trade-off I am willing to drive slower than perhaps I could with a RWD or FWD vehicle equipped with snows tires for the advantage that is most important to me: linear traction. ;)
This discussion has been closed.