Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Rattles and Noises

Comments

• pj_columbiapj_columbia Member Posts: 12
    This might be a bit naive - but are your sunglasses in the sunglasses holder? Mine rattled a bit before I realized it was the sunglasses. I've had my TSX for a little over 5k miles and noticed no other strange noises. Hope you've got an easy fix!
  • tsxowner1tsxowner1 Member Posts: 1
    Is your car automatic or stick-shift?

Mine is sitck-shift and I have a similar problem. It happens (in the morning when the car was first started, but occasionally during the middle of the day, too) when I back my car from a parking space and and the noise starts during the first several feet while in the first gear. The noise seems emitting from somewhenre under the stick shift (or from the engine compartment).

The noise sounds like the transmission gears are engaging with one another. Went to the dealer twice and unfortunately they couldn't duplicate the problem. The technician, based on my description, indicated that problem could be just the ABS adjusting itself, which is normal.

I am still unconvinced because the noise sounds like coming from the gears of the transmission. .
  • rumansrumans Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like the ABS self test to me. My Infiniti did it and my 04 Accord does it.
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    It sounds like the ABS to me too, mine does it every time right after I start moving.
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    I had an Acura Integra 7 years ago and had a similar noise. I took it to the dealer who said it was ABS re-filling the brake fluid reservoir and said it was "normal". I find it interesting that Acura/Honda continue to use an ABS system which emit similar noise 7 years later. I've owned a Nissan Maxima and a BMW 325i since that Acura and both makes (which had ABS) did not make similar noise from its ABS unit (granted both had other problems but that's another story).
  • rumansrumans Member Posts: 13
    My Infiniti, when I had it, also made the noise. It was louder in the Infiniti.
    My 98 VW Passat made the ABS noise as well. I haven't noticed it in my wife's 2003 Highlander, but I don't drive that very much.
  • npanticnpantic Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I had the same problem. I bought my TSX last December and this spring they exchanged whole bottom part of the driver's seat. I started to hear the noise again few weeks ago :( I guess I will have to take it in again. That sux.

Panta
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    In my 05 TSX I am still getting that annoying rattle that is coming from the area around the front passenger side....it is either coming from the dash area or perhaps the door....have tried everything it get it to stop....took it to the dealer once so far...they said they tighten the handle on the glove box and also tighten a clip up in the side curtain airbag area in the A pillar....still the noise remains....
    What is really annoying is that when you take it in for service they also use the same old line "we cannot duplicate the problem" or my case the noise....I live in a warm climate so cold weather does not come into the equation. Most cracks and creeks don't really bother me.....and this one is not really noticeable in the afternoon....but in the morning on my way to work (about 5 am) the rattling is REALLY annoying to say the least...even if my radio is turned up....on smooth roads it's okay...like the roads that have recently been re-paved...but older roads...look out....rattle....rattle....rattle....Since there is more traffic noise when I head home from work that is problaby why I don't notice it as much.....
    If anyone has any input to this problem I sure would appreciate it....plus any possible fixes....at this point I will try everything....I will take it back to the dealer but until then I hope I can figure it out.......
    Thanks to all in advance..
    I've got the same rattle and the dealer has failed once thus far to fix it. Unfortunately, if you read back through this forum, you'll see that several other people have reported the same thing without much in the way of resolution.
  • dbhoakdbhoak Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any resolutions to the rattling problem? I have a 05 TSX/man and I hit a bump on the freeway and I'm now getting this rattling from the dash on the driver side and center. If the road surface is smooth the car is quiet however, on a course surface the rattle sound is quite pronounce. I have not been to the dealer yet. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
  • sac2sac2 Member Posts: 1
    Dealer replaced the glovebox lock assembly and wrapped the in dash wiring
    harness. No more rattles !
  • dbhoakdbhoak Member Posts: 7
    Hey mldj98
    Thank you for the tip, I'll check it out.
  • docydocy Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problemin my 2004 TSX with 29K miles, but mine happens when I release the accelarator at 30-60mph. Also, I have noticed a soft rattle from the engine when car is in drive but not moving. I took it to the dealer today, since it's still under warranty and they sort of refused to accept that it was a problem. They sat me in a 2005 model and tried to convince me that ALL TSX's have engine noise. I'll see what their conclusions are tom.
  • normanclnormancl Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my TSX in June 04 and have been dealing with the issues of rattles in the door pillars by the seat beat adjusters and a rattle in the area of the steering wheel column. I've taken the car into Acura of Portland - Oregon many times since taking ownership and it still has the same rattles. I found it strange when I would take my car in, they would give me a loaner TSX and they would do the same thing. The last time my service guy said they tested the TSX's on the lot and their loaner TSX's; they all did the same thing. My TSX will be going back to the dealership...again this week. I am ready to see what another dealership can do with it. Anyone else having the same issues? :confuse:
  • mt56mt56 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 TSX, 3500 miles on it, and it has started to make this squeaking noise, which appears to come from the trunk area. It usually only happens when my car is not level - either the trunk is higher than the rest of the car (when I am on a decline) or the trunk is lower than the rest of the car (when I am on an incline), and I am in the process of turning. Has anyone encountered this? Also, this started when the weather got cold, although I live in Texas. It doesn't get THAT cold.
  • mt56mt56 Member Posts: 15
    My windshield (right side) makes a popping noise. It started when it got cold. I've brought it into the dealership, but of course, my car didn't make the noise that ONE day. I told them there was a TSB out about it (because that's what I've read on the forum) and that the problem is probably misplaced windshield clips, but they can't seem to find it. I still hear this annoying sound. Help!
  • hi5kidhi5kid Member Posts: 12
    MT56,
    I am also starting to get a popping/creaking sound from passenger side A-pillar/windshield area when driving over uneven road surfaces. I plan to bring to my dealer at my first oil change in a month or so. It seemed to begin as the weather got colder but it doesn't happen all the time. The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't develop the popping sound when it is raining/wet outside. As far as TSB, you can do a search on the net. I m not sure I can give you the link on this forum, but the closest bulletin I found was Acura 2004 TSX Model year, TSB #04042, Date 12/17/2004, listed as rattle from A-Pillar.

What is the year of your TSX? How many miles on your car when popping began?

Let us know how you do with your dealer since I will going through the same issue soon. :)
  • frescagodfrescagod Member Posts: 6
    I had a sort of cracking noise coming from the left A-pillar, but I don't know if I would call it "popping." And yes, it wouldn't be present if rain was coming down (how convenient was it that I bought my '05 TSX when it was pouring out???)

I went and bought a can of silicone spray, attached the little straw/hose thing, sprayed it underneath the rubber molding, and the cracking noise completely disappeared. It has been 2 months now, and no problems.
  • hi5kidhi5kid Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the tip. I also have a 05 TSX. It sounds like the same problem (snap, crackle, pop!!). I thought it was possibly due to drying out of the windshield seal and the cracking noise was cause by rubbing/friction between the glass and rubber seal. The rain would temporarily lubricate the seal surface and the noise would stop. Anyway, once the pouring rain stops here on the west coast, I will try some silicone spray. I assumed you sprayed under the A-pillar seal between rubber and glass.
    :shades:
  • kplinhkplinh Member Posts: 1
    I have the same noi se problem on my 2005 TSX (10K)
    Dealership states that this is common with any TSX.
    Did the dealership replace the tranny ?
  • ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    I've been reading other boards and some people are reporting squeaks from the drivers seat (maybe the seat rails). Has anyone here noticed it? If so, how has your dealer dealt with the situation?
  • zacrizacri Member Posts: 5
    Funny you should ask. My wife just pointed out to me that the driver's seat of our '06 TSX is a little squeaky. I hadn't noticed it before, but of course now that she pointed it out to me I notice it! I wish she hadn't said anything!

I haven't done anything to try and fix it. I only hear it when I go around sharp curves. Let me know if you come up with a solution. Turning up the radio seems to help.
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    Do you mean the seat squeaks from the back? I think that I can faintly hear a spring or two.

Otherwise, I actually had the driver's seat track replaced under warranty because I could feel it move slightly when cornering hard. I didn't hear it squeak, but if you can feel it move a little the track needs to be replaced. It fixed my problem.
  • uknyukny Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Carbon Grey TSX, with 50,000 miles. The car has been back to the Dealership on a regular basis. Sunroof at about 15,000 miles had a major rattle, I fixed it by wedging a quarter between the roof and metal frame, the dealership fixed the problem with foam insulation, they kept my quarter however.The drivers side seat track was replaced, when braking the seat shifted slightly. My front and rear windshield were replaced, the laminate broke down causing a blurry effect, I thought I was going blind for 3 months. The replacemant windshield had a rattle for 3 months, the dealer eventually fixed it, after I located the area of the problem. I have a vibration when the road surface changes, this problem the Dealer cannot fix. I now have a loose screw running wild somewhere in the dashboard. Low mileage loaners are sometimes in worst shape than mine. I am still on my first jar of touch up paint however.The car is a dream to drive, I would definately consider buying another one, if indeed they increased the horsepower slightly....
  • shailaragsshailarags Member Posts: 2
    I've got my 2006 TSX in December, the dealer said its the 61st TSX made for 2006 year. Anyway, started noticing the annoying seat sqeaks within a month from the drivers seat. The dealer removed seat and fixed it again after applying some lubricant.
    It was quite for probably 2 weeks and after that both the drivers and passenger's seats sqeak now. Its so annoying. I just turn up the volume to escape from this creepy sound.

I've 3500 miles on the car and planning to take the car for its first service soon. Hopefully this time the dealer fixes all these sqeaking problems.
  • presleypresley Member Posts: 6
    We have a brand new 2006 Acura TSX. Everything seems okay except sometimes, going from Park to either Drive or Reverse, we hear a small metallic "cranking" sound when we shift gear. Especially, if we are parked on an Incline. We also have a 2003 Honda Accord LX and we noticed that sometimes, going from Park to Drive or Reverse, there is a metallic cranking sound (similar to the Acura's). Is that sound normal? It doesn't happen all the time. Since I don't know much about cars, I thought I would ask in case I need to take the car in for check-up. Thanks for your help!
  • tsx2006tsx2006 Member Posts: 2
    I also have experience what you are talking about, but it does not happen all the time. I made an appointment with service to see why it is doing that. I will post services response to this problem.

If anyone else have this problem please let us know.
  • gemini3gemini3 Member Posts: 2
    I TOO HAVE NOTICED THIS PROBLEM AND MY TSX IS ONLY A MONTH OLD. PLEASE ADVISE, ANY SOLUTIONS??
  • tsx2006tsx2006 Member Posts: 2
    I just returned from service and the Service Adviser said that this is a normal in all Acura's and Honda Accords, especially if its park uphill. I'm so relief….
    :)
  • presleypresley Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info!
  • hbranschhbransch Member Posts: 8
    Wife's 06 TSX new in March, 5000mi - currently in for service fixing the driver's seat squeak and trying to track down the sunroof rattle. Will post any updates on what they found or solved. Glad we have a forum to collectively voice these issues.
    -H
  • shailaragsshailarags Member Posts: 2
    My car is fixed now.I took it to the dealer 4 weeks back. Dealer said that the seat base was not an original Acura part and was some other companie's part. He ordered the part and kept the car for one week to fix the problem.

The loaner was a TL for one full week. I enjoyed the TL's acceleration alot. Anyway, after I got my TSX the seat sqeaks problem is gone. Now its all quiet in the car and I dont need to worry abt any sqeaks in the corners.
  • thomatlthomatl Member Posts: 7
    Gee, I thought I was being over-sensitive when I immediately noticed on my new '06 that the driver's seat squeaks and the sunroof rattles with the slightest flex of the vehicle.

Appreciate your updates and will do the same after mine goes to service.
  • tsxmodstsxmods Member Posts: 7
    Found possible fix for the squeak problem. Fixed mine in 2 minutes. Loosen all 4 bolts, no need to remove them. Pick up on the back of the seat and push it toward the front of the car. While holding the seat, tighten down the rear bolts, let go of the seat and move to the front and tighten those down. FIXED !!

Talked to a Acura shop tech, he said that just about all of them with this problem was solved like this according to the TSB.

Hope this helps!!
  • devore420devore420 Member Posts: 30
    My guess is that this will work for a while, but it will come back. Have you seen the TSB on this? It involves them actually reshaping the floor of the car under the seat to allow more room so the metal seat frame doesn't rub against the floor - in addition to doing the steps you just talked about.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Acura/1147417200000_1148022000000_06-018/
  • ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    Are you still visiting this forum? If so, did you ever get the popping/creaking sound near the passenger side A-pillar/windshield area fixed? Was Acura able to fix it? I bought a 2007 TSX in February 2007 and it has the very same sound coming from the very same place. It is so irritating. I took it in on March 30th and they put some felt between the passenger side A-pillar and the dashboard and the noise stopped. Unfortunately it came back exactly 1 month later and is as loud as ever. Its going in for a 2nd "fix" on Monday, but I have little faith that they can fix it once and for all. It is really stressful listening to that on my 40 mile commute after working all day! If they can't fix it after3 or 4 trys, I'm going to ask them to buy the car back under the Calif. Lemon Law even though I love the way the car drives - transmission in particular is awsome!

Anyhow, if your noise problem was solved please let me know how they did it. Thanks!
  • tbedrontbedron Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2006 TSX and I just bought a 2008 TSX. Both cars have the same popping noise you have. Both cars developed the noises within the first 1000 miles. Unbelieveable. (WHY ON EARTH DID I BUY A SECOND TSX???)

The dealer (two different ones) have told me, basically, that I am crazy. So I fixed it myself in the 2006. I put a small wooden wedge in between the A pillar and dash, in the same spot your dealer did.

In my 2008, I am still working on it to get it right. This time I am using small rubber washers, but I don't think they're thick enough. Need something about a hal inch thick.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT 1) I was dumb enough to buy another one, and 2) there is such a lack of support from the dealers, and 3) that this is a $30,000 car. My 15 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee rattled less. (but was a piece of crap mechanically.)I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ACURA. Buyer beware.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    i own a 06 tsx that developed the rattle at about 18,500 miles. I mentioned it to the service advisor the last time I took my car for service. they made some adjustments and no more rattles (knock-on-wood) It now has 23,600 miles and I love it. WILL BUY ANOTHER ACURA. VERY QUIET CAR EXCEPT WHEN I HAVE MY MUSIC ON.
  • allen981allen981 Member Posts: 1
    Had an '04 with so many rattles, they rebuilt the right front door, and still couldn't fix it. It had clutch problems, electrical problems, and ultimately I used the Lemon Law to negotiate a brand new '05 replacement.

Couldn't believe Honda could screw up twice but they did. More rattles, brake problems, a sunroof that cracked and had to be replaced, electrical problems...11 stays in the shop, not counting normal maintenance.

Never again...just got rid of it for a Mazda 6.

:mad:
    sorry to hear you had so many problems with your tsx. my o6 is still excellant with no rattles (knock-on-wood) now 11 months old with almost 29,000 miles. mazda does have excellant cars also-we had a 1991 mx-6 gt 5spd. when we sold it almost two years ago it had 250,000 miles with the original turbo, engine, transmission, clutch and ran excellant. the new owner repainted it, put in new seat covers but nothing mechanically had to be done. still driving it. almost bought a mazda-speed 6 but the dealer was terrible.
  • cgr1cgr1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,

I have owned Hondas and Acuras for a long time. I have a 2004 TSX, and have discovered that the brake rotors become warped because of moisture, so much that when you brake at over 50 mph, the front end rattles and shakes as if it has a real suspension problem.

I have spoken to 2 dealers and they say it is a common problem, on many Acuras. I called Honda HQ and explained the problem to 2 customer complaint reps, but they do not acknowledge that it is a problem.

I see it as a problem that needs a recall and I am campaigning for it. Normally you get a brake job when the pads wear out. In this case, the pads are still very good...my Acura service rep measured mine and I had 40% left, but still I had the shaking an rattling. The rotors warp before the pads wear out and you are left to get a new brake job prior to wearing out the pads. This is real new to me.

I have advised Honda that I plan to get the word out, since I understand that several of the Acuras now suffer from this problem.

I have been a Honda and Acura customer for over 20 years and this is the first issue that has got me so upset..there is nothing mentioned of this problem on the Acura troubleshooting website, there is no current recall, and the reps that I spoke to seem to dismiss this as not a problem!! This is not the attitude I expect from Honda, so I am reacting!!

Do you know of anyone who has this problem??? Let's get a campaign going on this. I think Honda should do a recall!!

Hope I can get some agreement.

CGR
    The rotors on my 06 tsx, bought new 11/17/06, warped at about 43,500 miles. The dealer fixed them free. (under warranty) in April. My car now has 55,000+miles. I heard bmw's have that problem with warped rotors. The rotors are my 03 hyundai elantra GT warped at about 48,000 miles. The dealer fixed them and put on new brake pads for free.
  • stones3131stones3131 Member Posts: 21
    I had this post in another section of the TSX forum, so I figured I'd post it here too.

My '09 TSX is about 2 weeks old and I noticed a rattling sound coming from the front.

I hear this sound when I am accelerating and reach anywhere from 15-25mph. Once I go past 25mph it goes away.

Does anyone else hear this sound or know what it could possibly be? I took the car to the dealer last week and they said they drove the car for 3 miles and didn't hear anything.

I went back to the dealer yesterday and had the tech drive with me and he heard rattle too. His first question was if I was using premium fuel and I told him I was not. He said he'd take a look at the underneath of the car, but he knew the rattle was due to me using regular gas.

Is this really true? I got this car on 6/24/08, have put fuel (87-regular) in it twice and already there's an odd rattle coming from the engine because I'm not using premium?

And the kicker is right before I went to the dealer I filled the tank up with regular too. So now I have to wait to fill up again to see if this sound goes away.

Also, should I try buying one of those octane boost things from Pep Boys or something?

My co-worker, her daughter, and her son all have ’08 TSX’s and they use regular and they don’t hear a thing. I might just go to another Acura dealer to get their opinion.
    I am replying to my own thread. It's now been over a month since my original post and sure enough I still hear this rattle. Truth be told, the first two full ups of gas I had was used with 87 octane, but the three fill ups since have all been premium. I went to another Acura dealership and the tech drove my car and he heard the rattle, then he drove the two "loaner" TSX's and he heard the same sound in them. I too drove one of the "loaners" and kinda/sorta heard the sound.

Is this really a characteristic of the '09 TSX? Will the rattle eventually go away as I keep putting premium gas in? If this is truly a characteristic of the car I'm wondering why other people are posting...
  • phycsphycs Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my 2009 TSX on Oct 2nd, 2008 and after around 4 weeks I had noticed that rattling sound (or a knocking/pinging noise) coming from the front just like tones3131 mentioned. After my hearing on roads over and over again more than 1 week, I think this rattle could be tachometer related but not speedometer related. I can hear the sound when I am accelerating and the tachometer reading reaches between 2000-2500 RPM and that doesn’t matter what my speedometer says in the same time. I would have to listen very carefully to recognize the noise on highway but it does exist… :(

I had made a service appointment and am going to stop by my dealership this Tuesday. See if they can figure out what is happening in my car. I will keep you guys posted.
    Any update on what happened at the dealership? I'd be curious to know what it is. Here's a site I've been checking on recently and there's some good information on it. One of the people who posted is a tech at Acura.

It's 3 pages of posts, but each one is interesting.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684180&page=3
    They haven't contact me. This is REALLY a good customer service I would be satisfied with from Acura. :mad: :lemon:
    Who is they-the dealer or acura client services.
    the dealer