Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• amanda78amanda78 Member Posts: 1
    Have you found a fix for this yet? My 01 LS has the same problem. I have been troubleshooting this for months and I think the "theft deterrent" relay is causing it.
  • gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    I got a recall notice for my 2000 Impala. Don't have the notice any more but the invoice says "all 2000-2002 and certain 2003 impala and monte carlos equipped with a 3.8 (RPO L-36-VIV code R) engines may have a condition in which engine coolant may leak at the upper intake manifold throttle body gasket, or at the upper intake manifold to the lower intake manifold gasket. This condition may result in a low engine coolant level and higher engine operating temperatures" I think the fix was to replace the gasket. My car had 68K on it when it was fixed under warranty,
  • jayman31jayman31 Member Posts: 1
    I need help.....Anyone ever hear sloshing noises in dash area? After sitting for a minute or two and then revving the engine you can hear what sounds like water flowing in the dash area, and it is affected by the engine revving. Kind of like the engine revs blow the water out but after 1-2 minutes it accumulates again. Chevy says the problems area popping up in 03-04s I believe and engineers are working on it. It does not affect the interior of the car yet or I would smell it but I don't. Anyone else have this problem?
  • tazwolftazwolf Member Posts: 2
    i am new to this site but have a 2001 impala that is now leaking coolant at the intake. everyone tells me they have this problem but can't get anything from the dealer. the vin for the car is 2G1WF52E319285162. it has the 3400 in it. any help would be great. thanks. the dealer is saying $1100 to fix the problem. the car has 82000 miles on it after our last trip.
  • tim2000tim2000 Member Posts: 1
    I think that's a setting you can change. On my 2000 I depress the radio button with "dsp" on it, and then scroll through the choices. This is the same "place" to acknowledge an oil change.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I had that problem last year at about 92k miles. My local car repair shop charged me $700 for the fix, and GM/Chevy did not re-imburse me. Said it was not related to any other recalls.

Take it to a general repair shop, not the dealer. The car is probably out of warranty by now anyway, and the quality of the work done is about the same, just less money for you to spend.

I had the problem repaired at about 92,000 miles, and I am currently at 109,000 miles (mycar is a 2000 model). Good luck with your repair, hopefully this is the only major repair you will need with your car as they seem to be pretty solid.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    You have the wrong engine for the recall (3.4 instead of 3.8). Your VIN shows no open recalls, and no previous history that could be used as leverage for goodwill assistance. You are beyond (mileage wise) any dealership's ability to help. $1100 sounds a bit high to seal the intake, but my labor rate is pretty low. A higher labor rate would make a big difference as the parts cost is not much. Be sure you're getting all fresh coolant and an oil/filter change in that deal.

I like a black car, but prefer the indigo blue on the Impalas.
  • tazwolftazwolf Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help. yea i called GM and they said if they did issue a recall then I could get reimbursed at that time. I guess that is what you get when your family works for GM and some are retired from there. Is it ok to switch at that time to regular coolant besides using the dexcool again?
  • owlbarboowlbarbo Member Posts: 1
    I cant seem to get my 62 impala to start,I've replaced the starter ,alternator, ignitiog switch and battery,and it wont even make a sound,is there something i am missing or overlooking?every once in a while it will make a clicking sound as if the battery is dead but its brand new.could it be the distributer or voltage regulator
    I believe antifreeze will work, just be sure to get the old stuff flushed out well. Mixing dexcool and antifreeze is bad voodoo.
  • theo4theo4 Member Posts: 1
    I went through a puddle and now I got problems my top speed is 45km/h then the car will start to act like it is not getting fuel and then die and will restart and now the engine light is on so if anyone has some advice that would be great
  • arbyarby Member Posts: 8
    You said '62?!! Cool. Sounds to me like you have a loose or corroded battery cable or lead oxide inside the terminal clamps. First be sure the battery posts and the inside of the cable terminals are clean and shiney. install the cables and tighten them. if there is any appearance of corrosion coming out of the cable near either end replace them. Follow all the main cables to their ends and be sure connections are tight. Hope this helps. Arby
  • 2000impalals2000impalals Member Posts: 4
    When we bought our Impala it had 7 miles on it and the water pump failed. It was because of the engine coolant leak. There is a recall on the 2000 but I am not sure about 2001.
    When we bought our Impala be got the cassette/CD player also. They told us with the option that we could never change it out because everything, to include starting the car, is controlled through the stereo. That is where the main brain is. I would ask the dealer before doing that!
    Brad,

I responded to anothers question just like this one. Chevy did pay for mine. I had to pay up front and then call Chevy and fax the bill to them and they reimbursed me in full. Did you get it fixed yet? I went ahead and got mine fixed. Well the faulty they fixed they replaced with another faulty part. It cracked in half on me last weekend. Thank god I was pulling into my driveway when it happened because I wouldn't be typing this right now if I hadn't! I lost total control of my steering. They had to flat bed my car to the dealership to fix it! My suggestion is they will pay for it, but don't not get it fixed if they don't. It will break.
  • klucasklucas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Impala with 40,000k on it and have just developed a low coolant problem and my mechanic thinks this is the problem and asked me to find out if there is a fix or recall that would help with this. The last six digits on my VIN are 184945 - does anyone know if this car is covered?
    you are not involved in any recalls. (wrong engine for the coolant one) You're not too far out of warranty, it might be worth a try to go back to your selling dealer and see if they would goodwill the repair or do a 50/50 split.
  • mikesaulmikesaul Member Posts: 3
    Just discovered this forum and, WOW. Great information abounds.

I have an '01 Impala just passed 100K miles. Been a wonderful car for 3 years. Had 30K when bought used.

About my issues, in the past year I hae had the following services done: Coolant system flush and pressure test (about 10 months ago) and a fuel system cleaning (about 6 months ago).

Recently, in the past 3 months or so, I have noticed a coolant odor when parking in my garage. Also, the coolant low light has come on a couple of times.

Also, in the past couple of months, the Check Engine light has been on and off intermittently. The shop we had do the fuel system cleaning says it is a "false code" and just needs reset. It has now come on and stays on. The code is P1406 and refers to EGR Valve Pintle Position Error. We haven't had, until the past week or so, any rough starting, idling, etc. Our fuel mileage sits around 21 city/23-24 hwy, but the past week saw it drop to 18/20.

Since we are approaching our annual Emissions test, I am wondering if this is something a shop should deal with, or if it is something I could handle. I have read other places that the 1406 code may not necessarily mean the EGR Valve is bad, but no clear discussions of what the root cause of that code might be. Some have said a possible vacuum leak, and others have said a fuel leak. Any suggestions on how to test this?
  • mikesaulmikesaul Member Posts: 3
    Concerning whether either outlet is "hot", mine are both hot at all times. I did have problems with the "tightness", or lack thereof, of the sockets. Both seem to be a bit loose, and the plugs for my cell phones and for my travel cooer have to be pushed in regularly to maintain good contact.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    "The code is P1406"

P1406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Performance

Try removing the EGR valve and checking for carbon buildup on the pintle and seat. If so, aerosol air intake cleaner and an old toothbrush will sometimes clean it up.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    79,400 miles and the dealer says the popping noise is two sources:
    (1) The Wheel bearing have failed and need to be replaces. Says extended warranty will cover as it is VERY expensive. (??)
    (2) The Engine shims have to be replaced AGAIN. They were installed about 9 months ago but they say warranty does not cover this. GM issued a notice how to correct the noise by installing shims for the engine cradle but they didn't issue parts numbers etc and so it is not covered by warranty. Since they are doing the other work, they will install shims AGAIN for $30.

Glad I have the extended warranty! Shame it doesn't cover replacing the front AND rear ROTORS ever 30-35 K miles.

BTW my 2001 Impala with 79,000 miles is worth $4200 trade-in at Honda Dealer; and about $5100 at CarMax. Only cost $24000 new. Meanwhile, the Honda folks are moaning about how their vehicles are hard to buy used since they are worth only 2 - 3 K less than new! $5100 for a 2001 in good shape. Car lots are filled with them.

How much should front wheel bearings cost if out of pocket on an Impala?
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I wanted to thank you and two others who commented on this issue. After copying the page in the manual, the oil change place replaced the 5W30 weight with 10W30. Also, asked me what cap reads, which is 10W30. I live in Chicago area and we are having 60 to 70 degree days, so 5W30 made no sense.
  • kosmo1kosmo1 Member Posts: 1
    I too am havin the same problem. Happened last year arond XMAS bought a new battery. Now happenedin borad daylight at 73Fdegrees. I have an add on terminal on the Positive for y HAM radio. I wonder if that isn't my problem also., It's real wierd you can run the radio the FAN the lights whatever but turn the key and a slight click and all lights go out etc. But NO CRANK. Go ride with someone whose car works, and come back after lunch and problem is GONE!
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    I guess not as my ' 04 LS with 25k just had it replaced yesterday.
    Also have that odd water gushing type noise in the dash, but usually only in the morning.
  • csancsan Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem - just started within the past week and I came to this site looking for help too. I have an 03 and it has only 33K miles on it. Have you learned anything else??
  • luvdaimpalaluvdaimpala Member Posts: 2
    I had to take my 2000 ls to have the gasket repalced since i was leaking radiator fluid. I had the same syptoms as yourself. It sounds like you may have the same problem many of us have had. Since my undrstanding is there was a recall, but i purchassed mine used from a friend of the family so I never recieved official notification, but none the less, I had the gasket replaced and no more problem.
  • missourihoneymissourihoney Member Posts: 1
    Chevy Impala 2000 with passlock 2

I HATE this anti-theft system.. it protects cars from their owners. A real theif could

steal it..
    I need help. Is anyone out there that can help? My poor daughetr got this car for

her birthday from my ex husband her dad.. I gave a friend the directions to put a

cd changer in it. Well he detered from the directions and cause the ignition to

lock up.. Now I need to know how to unlock it or how I can maybe bypass the

passlock 2 sysytem so that the ignition will unlock... I would like to completly

disarm passlock 2 for good...Please can anyone help.. you would be our hero... We

dont have the hundreds of Dollars GM would want to take us for on this... Thanks

in advanced , Lisa..... Missourihoney@msn.com
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Glad I had extended warranty! The wheel bearings are sealed into the hub and the assembly costs $330 each! Tax and labor for two puts it at around $900!. Mechanic said there was nothing I could have done to prevent it, just happens.

Good news, rotors were in good shape and were able to be turned again. Just needed new pads.

Engine shims redone .
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Anyne know what's involved in fixing this? While backing into garage I caught door frame and broke my mirror. I epoxied the outer shell back on, but the inner arm that actually holds the mirror also snapped, not able to get a clean shot at it to epoxy it together.

Any tricks out there for this, or do I need to bite the bullet and get a new one, with 103k miles on the car would rather not.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I see impala mirrors on Ebay for about $50, but they need to be painted to match. if the cost is reasonable to you and you buy one for $50 on ebay, maybe you could disassemble the new unit from the shell and put the mechanicals into your shell to save the poainting cost.

Either way, $50 on ebay isnt too bad for a new mirror.
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Just may be the way to go.
  • solaradvocatesolaradvocate Member Posts: 1
    My wife had the same problem with a '95 Geo Prizm. It was the starter motor.
  • dwilmadwilma Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Impala. About a week ago the day time running lights were not working. As I was confused about this I pulled on the headlight switch in the car and I had no headlights at all. The parking lights work and also the bright lights work, but nothing else. My husband has been a mechanic for 20 years and he has been working on this problem all week. He change the BCM ( I think that is the name of the computer) and the pull switch on the inside of the car and still no lights.

Has any one else had a similar problem? What can we do to fix this problem!!!
  • charlief1charlief1 Member Posts: 10
    On my 2002 LS at around 16000 miles dealer replaced instrument cluster due to noisy tachometer and did the lube fix to the ISS. When I got the car back there was a rattle on left side of dash that only occurs at certain temperatures (30-50 F)and can be cured by giving a good rap to the bottom of dash on left side. Could this be due to something done wrong on the ISS fix or the instrument cluster replacement?

Now at 33000 miles and just weeks left on warranty the tach noise is back, I still have the rattle at various times and I have a new problem: a squeak that seems to be coming from engine compartment on right side. The squeaking seems to go away after driving car a few miles but also doesn't occur at all if someone is sitting in passenger seat in front. Makes me think it may be suspension related. A bushing?

Anyhow, I will be trying to get some resolution to these items at dealer in next couple of weeks but wanted to see if anyone in forum has any experience with any of these problems.

Other than the various noises the car has been excellent in all other respects.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi,

I got my '04 Impala in December, base model. Really enjoying it.

However, I found that whenever I go in or out (especially out) of a driveway, the front of the car will hit the pavement unless I go extremely slow. When it first happened, I thought it was because the tires needed air (which they did). This didn't happen in other Impalas I rented or test drove.

After adding air, the problem lessened somewhat. However, it hasn't gone away completely. It's scary to have to go very slow backing out of the parking space of my doctor's office, onto a busy street. You need to go slow not to hit the car on the pavement, but the quick oncoming cars necessitate your needed to leave fast.

I spoke to the mechanic I have seen for the last 13 years (fear of going to the dealer) and he told me that Impalas have a low profile. He said what I am hitting is the air deflector, and not to worry. He said to go slow, and try to exit/enter steeper driveways at an angle.

Anyone else have this issue? Have you solved it? :confuse:

Thanks so much for your help!
  • hchu1hchu1 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 LS, I believe all Impalas are like this. You either have to take the air deflector off or learn to drive slow in and out of driveways. Think of the air deflector as a warning strip, it's just plastic and the noise tells you to slow down to prevent you from doing real damage to other areas above it. It's annoying, but it is really good for you. :)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Just confirming post #1135, the air deflector like on most cars catches air and directs it to the bottom of the radiator for cooling.......the 2000 - 2004 Impala's is a bit low and it is not a concern, just an annoyance.......Chevy changed the design on the 2005 Impala deflector, it is a couple inches shorter and on more of an angle, less likely to scrape going in and out of driveways......in winter driving when there is more then 4" on snow on the road it acts like a snow plow which really becomes annoying...
  • 2klsowner2klsowner Member Posts: 1
    You're the only person on the internet who has even suggested a knowledge of how to top off the power steering fluid. I have been a "shade tree" mechanic for 30+ years and I CAN'T FIND THE RESERVOIR FOR POWER STEERING FLUID ON MY 2000 LS -- Boy does that make me feel stupid!! I have looked in every nook and cranny of the engine compartment and still can't find where to add PS fluid. CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY CLUES?? I have the original owner's manual and it says "passenger side near the rear of the engine compartment". If that's a clue, it's a lousy one. HELP!!
  • gena38485gena38485 Member Posts: 1
    i am new to this, but, here goes. my 2001 impala ls has a problem no one can figure out. the "traction active" light comes on and i feel a "pressure" against my brake pedal. it happens when i am stopping from a slow speed or am taking off at a slow speed. the traction control and abs lights intermittently come on, and i am sure that i don't have tire slippage. there is also a sound that goes with it. it sounds like a motor running or a pump running. i hear this sound when i feel the pressure in my brake pedal. took to the dealer and they said i needed a speed sensor. replaced that one as well as the other side. still have the problem and it seems to be getting worse.
  • pablo270pablo270 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2000 Chevy Impala, and have the exact same problem with water on the right floor when it rains. I went through the same procedure as you also. I had a windshield replaced by a glass dealer, and at some point after that, the leaks started. I took the car back to the glass dealer and he told me it was common for leaves and debris to plug up the water drains. He took off the fender well and the plastic cowl assembly that is between the hood and windshield. He assured me that it was now fixed. I took the car home and ran the garden hose on the roof and let the water flow down the windshield. Within a few seconds, water was running out onto the floor inside the car. I immediately called the glass guy and he told me he did everything he knew to do, and he would refund my money for the work he did. My question to you is, did you ever get anyone to figure out why the water was leaking into your car? Thanks
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    The air deflector does not direct air to cool the bottom of the radiator, but rather it forms an area of lower air pressure behind it which is filled by air flowing through the radiator above, thus causing a higher volume of air to flow through the radiator resulting in more efficient cooling. This counteracts the area of higher air pressure which forms under the front bumper area which partially passes through the front wheels. Notice how the front wheels are dirty with brake dust from the air flow going from inside the wheel to the outside, while the back wheels are always cleaner because the air flow through them is from the outside of the wheel to the inside.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    That makes sense.....the 2005 Impala deflector is much shorter and on an angle, how does that afect the air pressure behind the rad? Its half the size of the previous deflector......it definetly eliminates the scraping going over curbs anyway.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for the info!

The irony is that I had a choice between getting a 1SC (more options than 1SB) right away or having an '05 built. They don't make the Impala 1SC package anymore, it also has sedan sport pkg. I wanted the more options over the Onstar. Always pros and cons to every decision. I do love this car, though!

Thanks for all the info. :shades:
  • emonteemonte Member Posts: 4
    Hey all - new member. I have a 2000 Impala with about 96K miles - obviously, I drive a lot. I have just starting experiencing a hard idle with inevitable engine failure (random) and also a hard shift when the automatic goes into 2nd gear. I also sense, at times, there is engine failure which corrects itself at high speeds (interstate driving).

I did find some TBS announcements online but wanted to learn more about specific parts and if someone had a fix. :sick: link title
  • sgitlinsgitlin Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, all!

I just purchased this car (used) with 13990 miles from the same dealer of my previous new car (2000 Malibu - 6 cyl base model) - recently totalled in a rear-ender.

One thing that has surprised me is the ride quality which seems harsher than the Malibu - I feel every little bump in the road. Dealer says this is normal for this car and Pontiac GrandAm. It is the base model so the sport suspension should not apply. True?? Tires are the Uniroyal Tigers-Paw.

Most postings I've read seem to comment positively on the smoothness of the ride. I'm not feeling vibrations in the steering (steering seems tight and positive), but in the entire car.

No, I did not test drive the car. Was happy with the Malibu and felt this would be even better. Price was $11550. CarFax said OK. Car came off a one owner 3 year lease.

Also, first thing dealer had to do was cut the rotors - brakes pulsated.

Any suggestions, please?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    There was a recall on many Impalas related to a fuel regulator, which might be the cause of some of your stalling/hesitation issues...mine got a little hesitant to start about the time I got the recall notice, and once I got the recall repair performed, the problem went away.

I also had some hard shifting problems maybe a year or so ago, and as I recall there was some type of module that had to be replaced in the transmittion which solved the problem (seems like that cost @ $500).
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I wouldn't be concerned. If there was no deflector there, I would be.
  • jopuvajopuva Member Posts: 4
    My engine starts fine in the morning when it is cold. However, during the rest of the day, it konks out on the first attempt to start it but will then run on the second try. Anyone have this experience and what was the solution? (2001 base, 3.8 liter engine, 65,000 miles)

Thanks!
  • emonteemonte Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I did have the fuel regulator replaced due to recall - and hoped that would solve the problem - but it hasn't. I have never had a start up problem. Each time the engine shuts off - I can restart the car instantly. (knock on wood)

I'll check the transmittion module - thanks for the tip.
  • charlotteswebcharlottesweb Member Posts: 1
    help please--when I purchased my 2001 Impala the cigarette lighter/charger/adapter--whatever its called--in the front did not work but since I am not a smoker and the charger in the back did work did not concern me overly. problem is now that charger in the back does not work either. my husband has looked at fuses and nothing is bad. not sure where else to look and sure do not want to take it to the dealer and pay some outrageous fee to have it be something small we could have done. thank you in advance for any suggestions you can give us.
This discussion has been closed.