Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• apgroundapground Member Posts: 4
    Thank-you all for the info.Its proving to be very valuable as I'm an owner of a 2000 Impala.The first problem that has happened to me is the Drivers Window switch.Which I'll be replacing on Saturday July 23/05 at a cost of $147.00 Canadian.I replaced my car Battery with an Red-Top Optima Battery I had to plug an special 8 AA Battery unit into my cig plug that kept a 12 volt power supply so my computer settings wouldn't get erased you can pick this unit up at any auto parts place if your going to replace the car battery yourself. later signed apground
  • zalong1zalong1 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if this info is too late, but here's my experience.

I too have a 2001 Impala, with the same transmission slips and braking vibrations.

I have learned to deal with the vibrations. Basically had to keep getting the rotors replaced and this time they were out of warrenty.

As for the transmission, it had to be rebuilt in January, at approx 65,000 miles.
  • pattypkpattypk Member Posts: 1
    Regarding your third problem, I had the same issue with my 2000 Impala- to the tune of $400. I am no mechanic by any means, so the service center told me that the air filter was wearing on the wires that controlled the fuel tank relay. So, they replaced the wires, fixed the relay, and shrink-wrapped the wire assembly. Of course they could of told me anything and gotten away with it....

Hope this is a clue for you! Best of luck!
  • cidecarcidecar Member Posts: 2
    I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered in an earlier thread. Two weeks ago I bought a 2004 Impala with the base 3.4 engine. The car has 20,000 miles and appears to have been serviced regularly. I want to change to synthetic oil. I wonder if some members here might comment. I have generally heard favorable response and only one negative about synthetic oil. I also heard if you do change to synthetic you cannot change back.

Best regards
    Tom Kauffman
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Hi All,

I know this question is a bit out of season, but with it being the end of July, I thought I would do as much Preventative Maintenance before September, October rolls around.

1) My car takes forever to warm up in the winters, especially at idle. Is this a thermostat problem? Is this an easy fix on the Impala LS? Any special precautions i need to take?

Thanks!
  • policespecialpolicespecial Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Police Special with 52,000 miles. On a recent trip the car lost power and would barely run.
    I took it to a dealership(Not Chevy) were I rented a car. I found out from the service manager that the fuel pump pressure was low and that maybe I had gotten some bad gas. They replaced the fuel pump and filter and cleaned the injectors. After those repairs they found the converter clogged. After removing the and replacing the converter they found it was clogged with aluminum flakes.(Where did these come from?)
    This car was not under warranty and these repairs cost me quite a bit of money not to mention the cost of lost time on my trip and rental costs.
    My question is do I have any recourse back to GM on these costs? And how would I go about it? Any help would be appreciated
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    I have a popping noise sometimes in the front end especially when the front tires are turned all the way. Is this the frame popping? It's not the sruts, axle or hubs.
    Is there any known fix? My LS is a 2000 with 75,000 miles.
    I changed to synthetic last year and it seems to use a little more oil now. My friend, a synthetic dealer said there wasn't aproblem switching back to regular oil if you wish, in fact he said if your in a pinch it's even okay to add a quart of regular oil if needed.

I've heard alot about transmission problems (apparently Grand Prix's also have them, got one of those too ugh!) but so far mine's ok....knock on wood
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    At this point I don't think you have any recourse, unless this car has an extended warranty.....I know that the Police Impala's have had problems with the catalytic converters plugging up because they spend a lot of time idling. Even if you had a warranty I don't think GM would recognize your repair costs from an independant garage.
  • slug612slug612 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I have a 2001 Impala w/ 3.4L I had my light come on about a month ago. I had it scanned on a computer and it come up with a Low Bank to Sensor 1. I replaced the #1 sensor upstream from the Cat. It hasnt been running funny or anything really, except within the last couple of days I have had alot of moisture build up on the inside of the windshield. Its been really humid here so I dont know if that has anything to do with the moisture build up? I've had the catalytic converter replaced also. The place that put it on didnt do a very good job and i had to go back to get a leak fixed in the exhaust. About a week later is when the check engine light came on. Can somebody please help!!!!!?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    "I had it scanned on a computer and it come up with a Low Bank to Sensor 1."

No such code. Do you mean: diagnostic trouble code #P0131, O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)? If so, you need to find out why the O2 sensor voltage is low. Could be a defective sensor, wiring or connector problem, or an engine driveability problem such as a vacuum leak from an intake manifold gasket or cracked/split vacuum hose. The scan tool hasn't been made yet that can tell that a sensor is defective, only that the sensor circuit voltage is out of range.
  • cidecarcidecar Member Posts: 2
    Have been doing my own brakes for years. I just bought a 2004 Impala 3.4. I am taking the factory brake pads off all four wheels and replacing them with the cheapest soft pads from NAPA. I would rather put new pads in every 30,000 miles than replace the rotors and, it's not much of a job. I have owned many four wheel drive vehicles and replacing the rotors is time consuming and expensive. Not to mention there is a lot more to take apart than your typical front drive car. I service my transmissions by power flushing them. I may have to have a shop do it on the Impala but it will keep the tranny lasting longer. We have an older Explorer and had a Ranger pick-up. With these two you can disconnect a transmission line at the Radiator and they will pump themselves out. All you do is add the same amount of new fluid as what is being pumped and pretty soon you have a clean tranny! I don't know if GM can do that but I'm going to find out. If anyone knows that answer please post or reply to this. Good luck with your car.
    "I don't know if GM can do that but I'm going to find out. If anyone knows that answer please post or reply to this."

Yes. It's an automatic transaxle with a rad mounted cooler. Nothing special.
  • 1954boomer1954boomer Member Posts: 6
    Hi Garypen,

No, not necessarily. The noise can occur at any time for no apparent reason. I thought it might get better as the weather got warmer (less expansion and contraction with hot and cold), but even in the summer it happens. It seems to be getting worse. Unless it gets totally unbearable, however, I don't think I am going to invest a lot of money and time by having the dealer take the dash apart to fix the problem. The weird thing is, I have owned the car for almost three years, and the problem didn't materialize until the past year. You would think that the problem would have been there since day one.

Thanks for your interest!

Frank :D
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering, where is the fuel filter located in a 2000 LS with the 3.8L V6?
  • 76637663 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer tells me I'm the only one having this problem. 2005 Imapala LS, 8500 miles. But it has been doing the same thing intermittently since 1000 miles or so. The dealer put in a recorder since no faults were showing on the computer. The recorder has been activated twice and nothing shows. The dealer doesn't know what to do. I suggested the lemon law be invoked.
    Fuel filter is located below where you put the gas into the car. Look up under the rear drivers side fender up towards the gas filler pipe you will see it.
  • happyfellerhappyfeller Member Posts: 6
    I have had my car into the dealer now for 2 weeks and it will create the problems I have when I drive it. It is still at the dealers so I cannot offer any new info.
  • spikeyspikey Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 2003 chevy impala former police cruiser,
    I cannot get the courtesy lights to turn on when doors are open . i tried the survillance switch and reconnected one cut wire purple. the daytime running ligths come on ok, but the courtes lights still remain
    unlit ,bulbs ok . Ant Suggestions ?
  • wbwatkinswbwatkins Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this forum and after searching haven't found this problem....

I have a '01 LS that has been nearly 100% problem free until recently when it became very sluggish. It has no pick when under-stress.. by that I mean if you punch it, it just sits there, where as a slow steady foot will bring it up to speed, but not without hesitation. Once at highway speed it acelerates better, but only if nudged slowly- There doesn't seem to be any strange noise from the engine. It starts just fine, idles around 1500 (a bit high?). Reving while in Park sounds normal. My initial thought was transmission, but am now leaning more twoard fuel system. The problem appeared all at once, which is why I thought trasmission- I am very open to suggestions and do not want to take it to a mechanic without a better idea of what the problem might be.
    Could be the catalytic converter is clogged. That should be under warranty. My 2001 just had it replaced two months ago. It was sluggish and did not accelerate well.
  • wbwatkinswbwatkins Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion.. Is there a way to test for this? No matter what the problem ends up being, it's certainly not under warranty. I'm just about to roll 100k :)
    Engine at operating temp, install a vacuum gauge and check manifold vacuum at idle. Should be around 18"-20" Hg. Bring the engine up to 2,500 r.p.m. for 15 seconds. Gauge will typically drop then recover to a higher value than at idle. If after 15 seconds the reading is even 1" Hg lower than at idle, there's an exhaust system restriction.
  • drewcrewdrewcrew Member Posts: 1
    Okay, here's my quick story. Same exact problem, only be prepared that it get's worse. I tok mine into the dealer at 78,000 miles and was told this is a government recall and is under warranty. Did not pay for anything other than freight since dealer did not have in stock and was going to takle a week to get in. Hope this helps.
  • ladyimpalaladyimpala Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem, told me 2 weeks ago it was the battery. Guess what I was stranded again same problem lights, radio, horn all works as reported to dealer the first time before the new battery and now it happen again. Nothing when the key was turned on. Any luck with your problems?
  • walsh4walsh4 Member Posts: 1
    My '02 just became sluggish very recently. Under hard acceleration, it won't go above about 4000 rpm before it just kind of cuts out (kind of like it's bouncing off a rev limiter). Idles normal and cruises on highway okay as others have said previously. Couple of weeks ago, high voltage warning light came on just after starting the engine. I shut it off and on, and haven't had that problem since. Not sure if related to sluggishness or not? Would be nice if it's under the same waranty drewcrew mentioned ...
  • ladyimpalaladyimpala Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get this problem solved? I am having the same trouble. Had to have it towed and they said it was the battery. Two weeks here I am again stranded with the same description of what is going on? Seems like my dealership doesnot have too much interest in helping me correct the problem. Could it be the BCM? Thanks
  • rockybalboyarockybalboya Member Posts: 1
    hi i am a 2000 impala i just bought it today and the headlights will not work on dim i dont know what it is i know alot about cars my dad is a machanic but we cant figure it out so if you do please tell me
    First thing check to see if the bulbs are burned out. (rare for both to be burned out-but possible) find out from the place of purchase if you can get the previous owners name, that might help.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi,
    I'm going to be moving and the parking spot will be near a bunch of big trees. A future neighbor told me that he gets tree sap onto his car a lot. It rains a little most days and that gets rid of a lot, but i want to protect my new Impala.

Would a car cover help? about how much would one cost?

thanks so much. I'll let you guys know about my car shipping experience--the car is scheduled for pickup this coming week.
  • greenonegreenone Member Posts: 5
    Was it covered because the mileage was low enough or was this a recall that would be covered regardless of mileage? I just had the same problem with my 2001LS with 95K miles and the dealer replaced the converter, but never mentioned any government recall. Should I contact the dealer regarding this?
  • jbravo761jbravo761 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem. The Passloc security system needs to be replaced. If you take it to a GM dealer, it will cost roughly 400 bucks. The sensor is bad, so the vehicle thinks it is being stolen. Hence, the reason it won't start.
  • tweety6tweety6 Member Posts: 2
    hi,
    i have the same problem on my 2004 chevy impala too. i only had my car for 8 months and it is out of factory warranty. i called the chevy customer service about it and they told me that if it is a factory problem then they would pay half of it and i had to pay the other half
    to get it fix. i have extended warranty too and they told me that it doesn't cover the windshield leak so i am having problems just like you. if you find out what to do with your leak please let me know too.

tweety6
  • tweety6tweety6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi i have a 2004 chevy impala and i was wondering if anybody else have the same problem i do. i called alot of places to find out what i can do about the windshield leaking and everybody i have talk too said that there is nothing i can do. i only had my car for 8 months and when i got the car it had 32,000 miles on it. now it has 37,000 miles on it and the factory warranty is 36,000 miles. i talk to the chevy customer service and they told me that they would pay half and i have to pay the other have to get it fix. i don't think that is right that i should have to pay half to get it fix because it is not my fault that it leaks. i also called the dealer where i bought my car from and told them about the leak. the dealer was really rude to me and told me that he had complaints about the chevy impala's leaking and the GM should fix it. i need help on what to do because my mom is really mad about the car and the dealer that sold me the car. i forgot to tell u that when i talked to the chevy customer service i told them that it was leaking and she said by the windshield but i didn't tell where it was leaking. it only leaks when it rains really hard and now my car stinks because the carpet is ruined.

thanks tweety6
  • hchu1hchu1 Member Posts: 17
    You should contact Chevrolet's District office and talk to a customer service person who is not connected with a dealership. Stick to the facts of your problem, you can also go to another dealership for second opinions. Lastly, if you don't get satisfaction or at least a reasonable explanation of what your options are, contact your local Better Business Bureau. The BBB has a relationship with all the major auto manufacturers and you can request a arbitration hearing. Similar to going to court, you present your case and Chevrolet presents their side and the Arbitrator decides what should happen. I believe this should cost you nothing, but your time. If the Arbitrator finds in your favor they may direct you get service at any dealership not just the one you bought it from. In fact, better to get it from someone else, you already had a bad experience once why go back?

Also, let the District office know about your complaint about the dealership you bought your car from separately from your immediate problem. They are really two separate issues. The following is a number you can contact Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020. Ask for the District Office nearest you, if it is close by a visit might not hurt. Good Luck. P.S. Check your state's Lemon Law, if worse comes to worse it may apply :) .
  • jvelandriajvelandria Member Posts: 2
    It all started when my fuse for the door locks kept blowing out then out of nowhere i came home went back out to my car to leave and no power no interior lights,no radio, nothing just put a new battery in 2 months ago. when i disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, it starts back up now it flashes security/battery/service engine soon i can hear a ticking noise coming from the passager side fuse box and the interior light will flicker sometimes it s getting to the point that it wont start with disconnecting the battery and letting it reset itself then i'm lucky if it starts today out of nowhere the fob horn was going on and off about 15 mins apart. any suggestions would be helpful cant get it to the dealer until next week
    :cry: :confuse:
    At this moment, it has been at the dealrship for 3 1/2 weeks and still reason for the problem. Unfortunately, it won't happen for them. So I now have a loaner car from them until this can be figured out. Hopefully by Christmas. I am thinking that it may be the coil but who knows. When the problem happens, it does not put a code into the diagnostic memory. Now we wait. Let me know if you find something out. Good luck.
  • mean1mean1 Member Posts: 15
    Here's a new one on me...my 2004 Impala has 11,000 miles and the brakes were pulsating and I'm guessing it's warped front rotors already. But to my surprise it was the rear rotors and the problem was caused by rust. The car had been sitting on the dealer's lot for so long that the rear rotors had rust spots on them. Evidently the rust spots penetrated the rotors and it was so deep they couldn't cut it out.They had to give me new rotors ( and brake pads) because they couldn't turn down the old rotors any more. Did anyone ever hear of a problem like this? I recall that the dealer invoice said the car came to them in December 2003 and I bought it in May 2004. I could see rust on the rear rotors but I figured it was just surface rust. Of course the warranty covered this repair: I hope it lasts.
  • mniebomniebo Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 impala is getting irritating it has the 3.8 V6 and when you accelerate at a normal speed it jerks or surges like it doesn't want to shift out of a gear usualy it is after it shifts into the higher gears for steady speed and it acts up more on hot days than any other can any one give me a solution it is currently in the shop. if you get on the gas it goes fine.

It has 74000 miles and the converter has been changed under warranty
  • simonswusimonswu Member Posts: 5
    2001 Impala base 3.4L. 45K.
    A couple of days after a trip of about 1500 miles, I just saw a big puddle of oil on the garage floor right beneath the engine. (I'm sure it's some kind of oil, not coolant). Before the trip, it had an oil/filter change and 15-point inspection, everything was fine. Now the oil stick level is a bit lower, the coolant level is just right.

The car got a coolant leak 8 months ago, leaking from both head gaskets, according to dealer. The dealer replaced the gaskets, and changed engine oil as they mentioned the oil got contaminated by coolant. That time I learnt there is a notorious problem with GM gaskets.

Could the leak this time related to the previous one?
    :cry:
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    Thanks to whoever (whomever?) suggested fuel system cleaner for clearing an EGR valve. The check engine light came on and when I ran the code it came back EGR in closed position. I priced a new one from the dealer, $235.00, Yikes! I remembered seeing on this forum something about running a fuel system cleaner to solve the problem. I ran a bottle of Valvoline SynFuel in with a fill-up of Chevron Premium fuel and the condition cleared within half a block after I left the service station. Waaaay cool! Thanks Forum members! Oh and my gas mileage shot back up again. I must have gotten hold of some bad gasoline somewhere. I normally run Shell regular only with addition of Synfuel cleaner, Techroline or BG44K every 3,000 miles. Seems to work well doing that. :shades:
  • topazesqtopazesq Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem. Its been at the dealer for 2 weeks and they claim they can't recreate the problem. No codes show up. Funny, it happened right after I picked it up from the dealer and then again when I dropped it off. It was happening for months, very intermittently, but then when it got hot, it happened every time I turned off the car. It would take minimum 20 minutes to reset it. The last time it took over 4 hours. I have a 2002 LS with about 43,000 miles on it.

Please let me know if your dealer figures it out. email me at topazesq@hotmail.com
  • jrhss2jrhss2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2003 Monte. It has happened twice. The first time I took it to the dealer they said the sunroof was not draining properly. (bunch of crap) but it has happened again. I have to take it back this Tuesday. I wonder what they will say this time. If you find out anything let me know. I will do the same. My email is jrhss2@sbcglobal.net

Thanks you, Jr.
  • impalatimpalat Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having problems with oil consumption? We have a 2004 Impala LS and it is using more than normal amounts of oil.

Thanks,
    T
    What type of driving are you doing and how much oil are you using? I have a 2001 LS and my son a 2003 LS........He just did a motor trip (highway driving) 3300 miles and used about a litre of oil, or 1 US quart. I use about the same in my 2001 LS mostly city driving. I find that quite acceptable.
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    My 01 Imp LS 3.8 has 137,000 miles and uses no oil between changes. I run MobileOne synthetic and change usually at 4-5,000 miles. For me that is about every 60 days. My travel is about 90% freeway with no stop and go. I put it on the synthetic oil at 40K miles. Is synthetic worth it? I'll let you know in a couple of years. :-)
  • impalatimpalat Member Posts: 2
    The type of driving was highway and city, and I had to add 1-quart at 1500 miles.
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    I have an 04 LS thats on it's second compressor in 30k miles.
    It makes a whiny noise most noticable in first and second gear(auto trans).
    I'm thinking about having the dealer look at it again, but I'm wondering, does anyone else have(had) this problem also ?
    Under acceleration does your Impala make the same whine ?
    Perhaps I'm being too critical ?

Thanks.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I called the dealership service department today and reported my pulsating brake pedal and rumble sound when braking at higher speeds. They said it is probably warped rotors. I told them, geeze, the Impala is a 2004 with only 12,000 miles on it! They said, oh, we've seen rotors go that fast. This car was bought in November 2003. I pulled off the wheels and can see rust spots on the rear rotors only. It feels like the problem is in the front though. The car goes in next Monday.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Talking to the dealer service department today and inquiring why the rotors on my 2004 Impala need to be replaced even though the car has just 12,000 miles on it, they said: It could be the new hard composition of the brake pads building up heat on the rotors, hard stopping, or driving through a puddle when the rotors are hot.
    There have been issues with the brake rotors on some of these cars. Many have posted during the past few years. Brake rotor problems are not exclusive to the Impala. I think most car makes have had brake issues. My friend has a 2001 LS, like I have and he had his REAR rotors replaced at 15,000 miles under warranty. The service manager indicated his rotors were defective. It could be a problem with bad batches of rotors, or brakes not adjusted properly. A lot could be to do with driving habits. The Police Impalas use the same brake set up as the civilian cars. Going through water when rotors are hot is really not an issue with warpage. They are designed for all weather purposes. Many who drive highway miles exclusively have reported over 70,000 miles of no trouble and little wear on the pads, and the rotors still true. Hopefully the dealer will replace your rotors under warranty.
This discussion has been closed.