Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Basic Maintenance Questions

cr35cr35 Member Posts: 1
Has anyone experienced significant oil consumption? I have owned the car for 2 months and have gone through 1 1/2 quarts w/in 2,400 miles? Of course, Acura Customer Service claims "it's completely normal for the engine to go through 1 quart per 1,000 miles." This is a ridiculous statement to make, and one made solely to cover themselves. If people have not experienced a problem, I would really appreciate it if you could respond with a simple "No", so I can keep track for statistical purposes (no names will be used, obviously). If you respond with a "Yes", I would appreciate any insight as to how Acura is handling this for you. Thank you, everyone, I really appreciate it!

Comments

• elrod03elrod03 Member Posts: 12
    I just recently purhcased a TSX. The salesman told me my first scheduled maintenance was at roughly 5,000 miles (I'm not sure of the exact mileage partly because at this point in the transaction I was just excited to get in the car and drive it, but it was between 3,750 and 7,500). However, the owners manual indicates the first scheduled maintenance is at 10,000 miles! Basically the only thing they do is change the oil and inspect the car. The manual doesn't even ask you to change the oil filter at 10,000 but wait until 20,000 miles. Have modern cars changed that much. I used to drive a 1993 Honda Accord and changed the oil and filter every 3 to 5 thousand miles.

Anyway, what do you think of not having your car looked at until 10,000 miles. The salesman told me it is very important to keep this initial service date because if anything appears out of wack they can address it immediately.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    No one changes the oil without changing the oil filter. I think you may have read that part wrong. I have an '02 Honda CRV with a variant of the same engine. The service interval is indeed 10,000 miles. When I had other Hondas that had the 7500 mile interval, I had an oil change done every 3750 miles. It probably wasn't necessary, but it looks good when you get ready to sell, as almost everyone besides the manufacturers seems to think its necessary. To stay on the 10K miles interval, I now have the oil changed every 5000 miles. (yes, the filter also). It probably doesn't need the extra change either, but its only $25 at the dealer. I must say, I do enjoy not having to take it in as often.

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Does the TSX use the same oil and air filter as the 4-cylinder Accord?
  • id888id888 Member Posts: 12
    I don't have the manual in front of me, but I vaguely remember being surprised that Acura did not want a filter change with every oil change...
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The owners manual for the TSX calls for 4.4 qts of oil to be used if also changing the filter. So, at my first oil change I checked the oil level and it appeared to be about a 1/2 quart low. So I get it changed, then check it again. Still, about a 1/2 quart low. The only thing I can conclude is that with the recommended 4.4 qts of oil, the level will not read at the upper mark on the dipstick.

So I check the manual, and it says to run the engine 'til warm, shut it off and check the level. If it reads low, add oil until it reaches the upper mark. But if you do that you'll have more than 4.4 qts in the engine.

I guess my point is, why the heck don't they just tell you to put 5 qts in to begin with? It takes what it takes.

What have you guys been doing? I've read other forums where drivers complain about the engine burning oil. I think what's really happening is what I described above.

Johnny
  • red23red23 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody experiencing oil consumption between oil changes? I've been down ~1 quart prior to the last 2 oil changes. The dealer would like to perform oil consumption tests at 800 mile intervals.
  • copseyalcopseyal Member Posts: 36
    Dealer said it was 5K, but am thinking I read it was 10K in the manual. Anyone know?
  • mokeyjoemokeyjoe Member Posts: 4
    My dealer h=gave me a coupon for a free oil change at 3750 miles...so I would guess that is the first scheduled oil change. He did however say that the maintenence schedule was set at every 10,000 miles.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The coolant level in our TSX is now just at the minimum level when cold. It used to be half way between min and max level when cold last time I checked about 4 months ago. Where did the coolant go? Is this normal?
  • kenn_tsxkenn_tsx Member Posts: 3
    when accelerating in 1st gear(man) i hear this sound coming from my engine then it stops... it only does this when accelerating from 0... any one know what this is...
    and i drive my tsx like a champ right!!! but can any one tell me how i bought the car in july 04 checked the oil a couple of times then my oil light came on the other day got to work and check the oil there was like just about nothing in there... i have no oil leaks at all.. i have zero spots on the ground nothing where did it go... one last thing theres a switch in the glove compartment... on the left top side what is that for ... anyone... thanks
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    The switch disables the exterior trunk release (under the license plate).
    If you read back, I also complained about disappearing oil. This engine somehow does burn the oil. I cannot spot any leaks either, the oil simply disappears. My dealer told me it was normal for high performance cars to burn some oil. I think this is one lousy car. I would never touch another Acura.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Don't write off your Acura just yet. You do have reason to be concerned; however, I had this same experience in a NEW Toyota some years ago and it turned out ok. The oil in my Toyota was completely and mysteriously gone (yes, drain plug was securely fastened), to the point of the engine making a clattering noice. To make a long story short, it didn't do any damage to the engine and this same engine has provided over 300,000 reliable miles.

My situation my be different than yours (my experience with this only happened once and wasn't a recurring problem), but I thought I would throw this story out there just the same.
  • azscottazscott Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to purchase an '05 TSX 6spd in the coming months and this is the first time I have heard about oil burning problems. A co-worker of mine recently purchased one and hasn't had any complaints. Of all the TSX complaints I've heard this seems to be most serious.

My question is, how hard are you driving your car? If you driving like a "champ" and are constantly pushing it to redline and pushing it to its limits because then I would expect some oil consumption. However, if you are driving it "normally" I wouldn't expect any oil burning. I'd be upset if I bought a new car and it used oil regularly. The only car I owned that regularly burned oil was an MG--and that was an expectation. I currently have a '97 CL V6 with close to 100k miles and it doesn't use any oil.
  • kenn_tsxkenn_tsx Member Posts: 3
    really it just depends on how you drive your car normal driving should not have any effect on the oil.. but i push my car to its limits and that was a first for me... just never heard of that(how it disappeared like that)
  • jintsfan1jintsfan1 Member Posts: 5
    Folks, just lurking out here as I contemplate a change and want to comment on the oil consumption concern. Currently driving a 2001.5 Passat GLX (V6 Auto). Standard oil consumption on this and most Passats with V6 is usually 1/2 to a quart every 5,000 miles. I've got 73,000 miles and running as smooth as the day I picked it up. I just accept the usage and replace when necessary. I've never seen a drip or blue smoke, or any smoke for that matter. I think there is a level of "normalness" in oil consumption.
    For what it is worth, I have about 20,000 miles on my TSX. I'm not a very aggressive driver, but I drive it every day under fairly harsh conditions (Los Angeles stop and go traffic). I change the oil and filter very regularly, and do not use synthetic oil or anything like that. I have not had any troubles whatsoever with burnt oil, and nobody I know who has a TSX has had any problems in this area. I see it as a non-issue.
  • ajg003ajg003 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem of disappearing oil. My car loses 1.5 to 2 qt per 5000 miles. I can't see how this would be normal, but the dealer insists that 1qt per 1000 miles is within their spec. Does anyone have any other insite to this?
    Every manufacturer adheres to this standard.. One quart every 1000 miles.

So, unless you can find a specific problem related to yours losing 1 quart every 3000 miles, then you just have to live with it.. As long as you are checking your oil at least monthly, you should have nothing to worry about.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"Every manufacturer adheres to this standard.. One quart every 1000 miles."

Interesting. Of all the cars I've owned over the years, I can't recall one that ever had a consistent oil-usage problem. This is the first new car I've owned, and the only one that does use any oil.

It just seems to run counter to common sense. You'd expect that a new engine would be less prone to this. Especially if properly broken in.

However, you're right, manufacturers do adhere to the one quart per 1000 miles tenet.

Just thinking out loud. The TSX runs great otherwise.

Johnny
  • jpmistjpmist Member Posts: 14
    I almost hesitate to ask this, because I know it might start a "tastes great, less filling" debate, but here goes.

Checking my oil at 1500 miles while filling up the gas tank, I was a bit alarmed to see that the level was just at the bottom "pit" of the oil stick. Checking it later after the engine cooled down for more than an hour, the oil level was just under the top "pit" where I expected it.

I'd always believed that you never check the oil when hot because so much of the oil hasn't drained to the oil pan.

But the manual specifically states that the oil is checked when the engine is warm.

So the question is, have Acura's engineers designed the oil stick markings for a warm engine? Should I not read the stick at the gas station and just check it when the engine's cold?
    Not in Canada mate. Canada is not considered as ideal driving conditions, in fact it is classified as severe driving conditions due to the weather and everyone here change their oil and filter at 3000 mile intervals. What my mechanic said was that the oil filter looked in "pretty bad shape" (he disassembled it, to prove the point) and that the dealer was not replacing it. I looked at my service record and it did say that they replaced the filter on each and every oil change. From this criteria:

1. Either my dealer is lying.

2. Or the engine is in bad shape that it is clogging up the filter rather quickly with fragments.

Conclusion: Crappy car or Crappy dealer or both.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    My bet is on your dealer cutting corners. After all, he's Canuck.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    How tough is it to change the oil and filter yourself with the car on the ground?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Oil is easy, filter is a real [non-permissible content removed]. The filter is on the back of the engine and can only be accessed from below the car. You will need a socket type filter wrench to get it off.

Craig
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    I have just purchased a certified 2004 TSX when it had 17,600 miles. I have just hit 20,000 miles and the maintenance schedule says it is due for a check up. Two questions:

1. Is this necessary after the dealer did the certified checkup less than 3000 miles ago?

2. The dealer quoted me $165 for the checkup including the oil change, rotating tires, etc. Is this price normal?

Thanks for the help.
    The 20,000 mile service is essentially an oil change, rotate tires, and check the brakes. $165 for that is ridiculous.
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks. I thought that was really high. I found another dealer that will do it for substantially less. So even though it is probably still more than I would pay somewhere else, it will be good for them to go through everything after a cold winter and keep up the certified warranty without hassle.
    See I do not think that is an individual dealer being bad. It does really look like to be an Acura policy never to admit fault. What good is a warranty if it does not cover you come problem time. Acura has finally fixed the rear wheel bearing for us, but that is after I got a written report from my own mechanic that the rear wheel bearing is failing. Initially they said, this is not possible, we have never heard of that, Acura's do not have this problem. So far they have replaced the steering wheel, front wheel alignment, rear wheel bearing, fixed the ac drain hose under warranty. Many remaining issues which are more expensive to fix, and they refuse to acknowledge the problem. Burning oil (have to top up between oil changes), jerky transmission(recent), lots of paint damage on the front hood, it seems the smallest grain of sand will chip the paint on our TSX, creaking noises.
  • jgkjgk Member Posts: 5
    I was always of the opinion that an early oil change was a good idea (about 500 miles). I have always followed that for all of my new Hondas over the past 25 years and have never had an engine failure nor one that burns or leaks oil.

I did see a Honda service bulletin that stated that Honda includes breakin conditioner additives in the orginal oil from the factory and early first oil changes are not recommended. I thought I would pass that on to you.
  • orilliaorillia Member Posts: 5
    I contacted my dealer today and he suggested getting an oil change every 3000 miles and to ignore whats is in the manual . He mentioned synthetic oil would be the only reson to get a change over 7000 miles.

Comments?
  • jimbyjimby Member Posts: 5
    Ignore your dealer and follow what the manual says. The dealer wants to see your car in his shop as often as possible. You will be wasting money and oil if you change every 3000 miles.
  • meg9713meg9713 Member Posts: 21
    I am looking into buying a 2004 tsx but was wondering what the average cost of repairs are.......do they tend to be higher than say for example, an accord or maxima? I am concerned that Acura, being a more expensive car, will lead to more expensive repairs or service. Anyone who has experience w/ repairs, service, even oil changes, please let me know if the tsx is going to cost me much much more than the 98 altima I have now.

Thanks!
  • jimbyjimby Member Posts: 5
    Well, almost all the TSXs out there are still under manufacturer's warranty (it's a 4 year, 50k mile warranty) so there is probably not a lot of data in yet about overall cost of repairs. I would expect the costs to be in line or slightly higher than current Accord. The TSX is basically a modified Euro Accord, so it's not like parts will be scarce. Dealer service and repairs will almost always be higher than independent shops.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Does anyone have any ideas on why the owner's manual indicate NOT to change the oil before 10,000 miles during the break-in period??? I always thought that you wish to change the oil rather soon for the first time as you have all the cuttings from the assembly process.

Also...wouldn't it be best to change the oil at say every 5k and not stick to the 10k recommendation?
    I contact Acura and they replied that the oil not be changed before 10,000 miles because of 'break-in' additives in the first oil fill from the factory.

** Does anyone know what the heck is being added to our oil ?
    ** Anybody disagree with the concept of waiting for >10,000 miles?
    ** With this understanding, I am going to wait for 10,000 miles to change my oil AND filter.

Below is the reply from Acura (Comes directly from an Acura Dealership Service Department...which has a vested interest in getting us in early and often) -

Acura says that you don’t need service before 10000 miles or one year if your driving conditions are “normal” and not “severe” according to the description in the owner’s manual. Southern California driving conditions tend to be a bit severe, so many of our customer’s elect to replace the oil filter with each oil change and to perform an oil and filter change between each 10000 mile service interval at 5000 miles. If your driving conditions are not severe, I might recommend that you not change the oil for the first time before 10000 miles because the factory sometimes adds a break-in additive to the first oil fill. It is important to check your oil level on a periodic basis because some oil consumption in a 10000 mile period would be normal.

:blush:
  • peonymanpeonyman Member Posts: 6
    The Acura dealer was emphatic that I not change oil until 10,000 miles because of special additives to help the break in process.
    Then I get a card from Acura (not the dealer?) advising me to come in at 5,000 miles for the initial oil change. This was a reminder card, not a notice that their policy was changed.
    I have found no reference in the owner's manual stating when the first oil change should be.
    Conventional wisdom was always that changing sooner than later is beneficial to flush out any metal particles from the breaking-in process. Creation of those particles would be highest at the git-go and taper off as engine hours increased.
    Who should we believe?
    Split the difference and change it at 7,500 miles.

I also had the same question and I reside myself to wait until it is closer to 10,000 miles. I totally agree with past wisdom of changing initially at 2,500 miles, but I have to believe that the engineers have considered all factors.

The owner's manual does specifically state NOT to change the oil until 10,000...in the break-in section. Please look at your booklet to confirm.

Now...one thing that I will be doing is to change my oil AND filter every 8,000 miles subsequently. Why not...cheap enough. See my previous post #106 in the Acura TL 'Care and Maintenace' forum.
  • willyboywillyboy Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jimby,
    How are you?
    I'm WiLL and I am new to this so please excuse me I am indeed placing this inquiry in the wrong section of this forum.
    Perhaps you can direct me to the right section if I am indeed in the wrong place?
    I have an 2004 TSX. I am a NYC resident but I bought it off the dealer in Maple Shade, NJ just because it was a little less expensive. I bought it at 1,800 miles floor model. It is now nearing 9,500 miles and the maintenance light is beginning to flash (not steady). I called a few dealers up for the maintenance fees and what it entails. They all ran quotes from $130 - $150. Is there any possibility I can find a place cheaper then that? $150 for a maintenance of oli change, filter change, tire rotation is kind of expensive to me.
    Thank you,

WiLL
  • goregore Member Posts: 1
    Hello

You can probably save money if you just change oil and rotate tires. This is what I did. For a fact on 10k Miles there is nothing needs to be done except these 2 things. read user manual for maintanance and see what you have to do,.
  • stillookingstillooking Member Posts: 17
    I replace mine at 10k mi w/o problems, nor complaints by service reps. A long time ago, I read that Honda ran a car for a 100K mi at the track; changing oil as per the factory recommendation ( I think it was 7500 mi at that time). They tore down the engine at the end and found very little wear.

My prior car was a Mazda Protege with 135K mi. I got the same milage towards the end as I did in the beginning changing oil every 7500 mi.
  • stillookingstillooking Member Posts: 17
    Will this extend life of transmission and provide better gas milage?
    No, it probably will not improve gas mileage. It may extend tranny life on some miniscule level, but it will be many moons before you even need to consider changing the fluid in the 6 MT. Leave it alone.

Johnny
    The more times you drop a pan to change the oil...the more likely you will get contaminated. Go with a 'complete power flush' where the pan isn't dropped....and which will ensure completly new fluids.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    I purchased a 2005 AT TSX 3 months ago and have driven roughly 2000 miles so far. I know I have time, but I have to ask what the real timeframe is regarding oil changes? Acura says to service every 10k miles and the dealer told me to have it done every 5k. Then I am reading about certain break in additives in the oil that should be left in the car for the 1st 10k miles. Does anyone know what is the most prudent thing to do to ensure longevity of the car? Thanks for the help
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    I don't know if "break-in oil" in Hondas is urban legend or not, but there are a lot of dealers out there more than happy to tell you to go to the "long" interval on the first change. That tells me maybe there is something to that. Either way, the days of doing your first oil change at 2K seem to be gone. If it were me, I'd be in there around 6000-7500 just because the tires would already need to be rotated.

As for the 5K/10K debate beyond the first change, read the manual! I bet Acura recommends a 5K interval for "severe" driving conditions, which seem to fit the conditions that the vast majority of cars are subjected to. And you may encounter dealers that think the "severe" interval isn't severe enough, but they should really be ignored unless you want to make the general manager's boat payment.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    I think the "break-in oil" does exist. Although I don't see myself waiting to get the 1st oil change at 10k miles, I most likely will wait to 7500 miles. I agree with your suggestion on when to get the 1st change. Afterwards I would look to service every 5k miles. But let's not forget that we should, and I do, check the oil every week or every fill up. The oil looks very clean after 2k miles, although I did have to add 1/2 qrt at about 1k miles. That seems to be the norm though. Thanks again for your help.
    I like changing at every 5K miles, as it keeps you on the 10K service interval for the rest of your services....

I can't imagine that any break-in oil hasn't done it's job by the time you've driven 5K miles... though, I'm not a Honda engineer... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This question was posted on several forums here...but I say that the responses on this forum is consistent with my thoughts.

I would allow the 'break-in' additive to perform its duties by allow it to remain close to the mileage recommendation of 10k. However...if you have driven the car more harshly during that time...change it at 7.5k. After the initial oil change...change it at 5k but no later than 7k.
  • pj_columbiapj_columbia Member Posts: 12
    Can someone tell me how to turn off the Maintenance Required light? I usually do my own oil changes, etc., and would like to make this orange light stop blinking. Also, the mechanic at the dealership said it would start blinking at 7k miles (it's a 2005 TSX) but no servicing would be required until 10k (had the first oil change at 5k). Not sure if car has to be hooked up to the computer to turn off the light or not? Thanks!