Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Security System Questions

2»

Comments

• jm777jm777 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 TSX and it was broken into about 3 weeks ago shortly after I purchased it. They also were able to get in with no signs of a break-in. Took a duffle bag, gunglasses but did not take my CDs or the wheel locks that were in the car.

I live in SF and bought my car at Marin Acura. I think someone else said they service their TSX at Marin Acura. (I wonder how many of us either bought or get service at Marin Acura.) I called them and the service manager I spoke with says he was familiar with the problem and just advised me not to keep anything in the car. He said, in particular they seem to want the Owner's Manual. I also spoke with a Customer Service manager and she said that she gets about 3 calls a month from people they sell to in SF. I have no proof but something seems quite fishy. I have filed a police report and I encourage others to do the same so at least they can track it and maybe see a pattern or something. I wish I had read these posts earlier but I am now garaging my car to prevent future break-ins.
  • kierkier Member Posts: 1
    I am so relieved that I'm not losing my mind.

I have a 2004 TSX. The owners manual was liberated during its first year in Noe Valley. I have taken to keeping the quarter dispenser stocked in hopes of appeasing whomever kept getting into my car. The dealer (South City) assured me that the car was impenetrable short of throwing a brick thru the window, so I must have left it unlocked....

My neighbors have grown tired of me clicking the lock button thru the kitchen window with it's reassuring click, several times a night. You can never be too sure.

So what happens?

They stole the shifter knob!!!

That one piece costs $150

The next one goes on with lock-tite.

But, now all I need is an aftermarket alarm to stop the madness.

Thank god, I'm not going senile.

K
  • desbadtz7desbadtz7 Member Posts: 2
    Yesturday, my 2005 TSX got broken into!!!! (no signs of breaking in)

This happened at Stonestown Mall - near the Borders/Nordstroms entrance. Nothing valuable was in view... And all they stole was... from the glove compartment was some cash and my Owner's Manual!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I do some research online about getting a new owner's manual or why this is being stolen and I ran into this forum just now... and I can't believe this has been happening to others too! I wonder what can I do to avoid this happening again!?!???

Also had another TSX-break-in last year at Harrison/Main St - w/ broken window & nothing stolen. But I found my silver sunshade opened on top of all the broken glass, which I always kept closed-up on the floor. They must have assumed the silver on the floor was a laptop or something.

So since then, I made sure there is absolutely nothing in site... But STILL, there are TSX break-ins for the Owners Manual????

Everyone, please do your police report so someone can track this pattern... And I wonder if Acura should do a recall of their carlocks or something? I don't know, what should they do or what should we, the car owners, do?
  • csquared23csquared23 Member Posts: 1
    Breakin News: (no pun intended)
    Here's a story we're all familiar with...My '04 TSX got broken into twice in SF - First time earlier this year - they got my golf clubs out of my trunk. No signs of forced entry, so just like others have said, I figured I forgot to lock my doors one night and chalked it up to the price we pay for living in the City. Second time was a few weeks ago....This time I KNOW my doors were locked and they got away with a laptop and some misc personal items (but not my owners manual). Again, no forced entry, and my car was locked when I returned. This time I filed a police report.

So yesterday I get a call from SFPD - Ingleside saying to come down to the station - they possibly had some of my property. Turns out they arrested someone on a routine traffic stop that had property belonging to me and 4 or 5 other people....all who own TSXs! The officer had some keys that I assume were taken from the dude who got arrested and tried to open my door with them -- a few of them actually fit the keyhole, but none of them opened the door....I'm not sure if I should be relieved or more worried at this point. I have got to believe that somewhere on the streets there is a key, or multiple keys, or special "jiggle method" that opens the doors to our cars.

This news is so fresh that the case is still being written up, so there's not a whole lot the police can let out yet....but I hope they can nail this guy and anyone else he is working with.

So if we are forced to park in public and assuming that there may be physical keys out there that open TSX doors, what are the best measures to combat against this?
  • airwalk905airwalk905 Member Posts: 3
    I just found out today that my car was broken into without force on Saturday. It was in a garage in the Mission where i was supposedly paying for it to be "safer" than out on the street. My car is a TL...not a TSX, but i still wanted to get the word out that Acuras continue to be broken into in SF! My gym bag, ipod, and new camera were stolen.
    Has anyone heard from the police or Acura any news of these events?
    Any ideas other than getting a new non-Acura alarm and not keeping anything of value in the car?
    Thanks in advance for any comments!
  • ksolo2ksolo2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 TSX was broken into, no force entry on 1/11 this was the second time it's happened in SSF. Like everyone else I thought I had forgotten to lock the door. The first was in Sept. '07, no entry, and the only thing taken was my owner's manual and my registration information. Which I thought was odd. But on 1/11, my cd's, my shoes, clothes and my wheel locks were taken.

I went right away to Serramonte Acura to get my wheel locks replaced. I also spoked to the Service dept. and the only thing they suggested is to install a secondary car alarm. I contacted Marin Acura to see what they can suggest and per the General Sales Mgr Michael Gafford - he's never heard of this happening. But after reading all the messages, I'm sure he's known about it. His only advice to me was to contact Acura USA for a client relations rep.

I filed police reports both times. It's not comforting to know that someone out there has access to my car. I no longer keep any valuables in my car, but now I'm thinking of also NOT leaving my registration info in there as well.

There's got to be something we, as Acura owners and car theft victims, can be compensated for by Acura. At least replace our current alarm systems! This has gotten out of hand. How many more Acura break-ins will need to happen before the company takes action?!
  • natsfnatsf Member Posts: 2
    Airwalk 905 you are absolutely right. Acura should compensate us in some way for the loss of our valuable, security, and right to protect our car. My car was broken into in September and I posted my experience. A few months later (November) I was contacted by the San Mateo police department. They had arrested a woman on car theft charges. She had stolen a Honda Accord and inside the police found my drivers license and contacted me. This woman supposedly broke into numerous cars with a "shaved" key according to the officer. I felt at ease that the theif was caught but not but two weeks later my car was broken into again! Luckily, I don't keep any valuables in my car so they were not able to steal anything.
    The beginning of January, San Mateo indicted the original theif on number of counts and I was subpoened to be a witness in her court hearing but she pleaded guilty before the hearing.
    Pretty much, my "anti-theft" system right now is to leave nothing in my car and before I lock my car I leave my glove compartment, center consule, and astray open just to show any theif that I don't have anything in my car. This has seemed to work since November.

I know everyone on this forum has a busy life, jobs, family, etc. But if we could all pull our stories together and bring it to Acura USA we may have something. It's a big job that I think no one really has time in their life to address. But if we all volunteer and break it down to specific duties we could possibly get something accomplished. Strength in numbers, right. Anyways, I'm just putting it out there but I would like to get together some sort of live chat, conference, whatever to get an action plan going. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please speak up. After all we have put our hard earned money into an expensive automobile. It would be nice if it locked.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    sorry to hear of your tsx getting broken into-Is it just tsx's or other cars. A few years ago I owned a mazda that was locked but someone was able to get into it. They took the ashtray that had loose change in and some c.d's. If fact alot of other cars that were locked had things stolen from them. This was in the Stoudsburg area of Pa. The car thieves were caught but there are others out there to take their place. I think higher fines and jail time might deter some.
    Natsf-
    I am definitely willing to do whatever we think is necessary to bring to Acura USA about the problems their cars are causing us. I am now not even driving my car into SF right now because I fell no sense of security for it...and this is causing a lot more grief on my commute. Anyway...if anyone else is interested in going as a group to Acura USA, please join in. The more numbers and events we can bring to them, the better.
  • ksolo2ksolo2 Member Posts: 2
    I am with you 110% on coming up with some sort of a "game plan" with all the rest of the members of this forum and vigilantly contact Acura USA's Client Relations Department. In fact, I actually called them today. Such BS- they claimed that they have never heard of such break-ins w/ no forced entries?! This lady (Jessica) said that she has noted this information/complaint on my account; not only that, she also stated that the more complaints they hear from other owners having these similar experiences, the faster some kind of action will take place. SO... if THIS is the only way they'll actually do something about it, PLEASE... IF YOU'VE BEEN A VICTIM OF SUCH BREAK-INS, PLEASE CONTACT THE FOLLOWING AND RAISE AWARENESS!: TOLL FREE# 800-382-2238 (6am-5pm, M-F, PST).

Let's all raise some hell!!! THANK YOU!!!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Just curious, have you looked into this problem for Accord and TL owners too? I seem to remember someone (here?) mentioning that an employee of a dealership was arrested (last year?) and might have been involved in cloning keys?

Since the Accord, TL, and TSX are basically variations of the same car, I suspect that they share the same keys/locks/alarms.

Just wondering...
    My car that was broken into a week and a half ago in the Mission is a TL...so I think it's definitely an Acura problem. I haven't heard anything about Accords having these type of break-in problems.
    I am still very curious how someone got in because there's no one at the Acura dealership that has any connection to where my car was when it was broken into.
  • kahunamikekahunamike Member Posts: 2
    2 hours ago, my car got broken into in San Francisco's Mission District. There were no signs of forced entry and they were able to take everything out of the cabin and my trunk. My trunk was full of leftover groceries from my last ski trip and a new box of animal crackers. It doesn't seem like they cared what they were taking, just taking everything. The interesting thing is that my CD changer had 5 CDs in it. I found two of them had been taken out and set aside. This must mean that they were able to turn the ignition in order to turn the stereo on but the keys were on me the whole time. Something seriously is lacking in the key system of the Acura's and I'm about to fire off letters to Acura corporate, the San Francisco Chronicle and make some phone calls tomorrow. Breaking into cars is supposed to be difficult right? Apparently not.
  • desbadtz7desbadtz7 Member Posts: 2
    i can't believe they were able to turn the ignition on too!! acura corporate, sf chronicle, etc needs to know about our forum!! kahunamike, please keep us updated if you do make these phone calls/letters... let us know what else the rest of us can do to help too...
  • satoautosatoauto Member Posts: 22
    The Lock confirm should have a setting in the Multifunction Display to enable/disable the beep.
  • colleen419colleen419 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Acura TSX was also broken into for the third time on 1/26 or 1/27 in San Francisco (Noe Valley). This is the third time with no forced entry. They also took all 5 of my CDs meaning they were able to turn the ignition.

There is something seriously wrong here with Acura's lock system and they need to do something about it! I also agree that there is a SF TSX break in ring from reading all of these posts.

Did you file a police report with SFPD and what was there response? Any response from the Acura dealership? I am taking mine there tomorrow and am going to raise hell!
  • kahunamikekahunamike Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear that colleen. I know how you feel. You can actually remove CDs without turning the ignition by just holding down the eject button. It cycles through, removing each CD one at a time. I just found that out last week but that still doesn't explain how they got in, opened my trunk and took everything out without my key.

I filed a police report but it's just an online form and I didn't get a response. I think the city has more important things to deal with than thefts... unfortunately. I haven't spoken to any of the local dealerships but did call the Acura Client relations dept and they said they've only heard of one other instance. I would give them a call to help raise the alarm. 1-800-382-2238 option 5

Bottom line is that car thieves can get into pretty much any car. it just sucks that the Acura alarm system is pretty much useless and that they're being targeted because they're high end. i can think of really only 2 options at this point. 1: don't put valuables in there and 2: get an aftermarket alarm system. Either way isn't the real solution which would have to come from Acura themselves - a new lock/alarm system that's not vulnerable to what these thieves are using.
  • colleen419colleen419 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. I just filed an online police report as well. I will call Acura Client Relations tommorrow as well. I will also write a letter.

I am going to the Acura dealer tommorrow to at least report the problem to them and see if they can change the code of the remote locking system. I am going to start unlocking and locking my car manually. I know that they did not get in with a master key and here is why. The passenger door lock on my car was already not working and I had permanently locked it manually-it does not respond to my remote. When I came to my car this morning the three other locks were open as if by a remote. If they had a key only the driver door lock would have been open.

I am going to get one of those random code security systems I think.

Thanks for the input.
  • Allicat135Allicat135 Member Posts: 1
    I realize it's been a year since anyone posted anything on this forum, but I just had my 2005 Acura TL broken into on Friday night on Filbert St between Gough and Octavia (in SF). My story completely mirrors everyone else's: no evidence of forced entry, manual and registration was taken, as well as a clean sweep of the trunk. I am SO frustrated/violated and I'm going straight to the Acura Dealer tomorrow. I filed a police report and am very worried that this string of Acura Theft is still happening. I will be calling the Acura USA customer service line as well; if anyone is still interested in joining forces - I'm in.

:mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • TSXOwner42TSXOwner42 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me in San Francisco earlier this week.

No sign of break-in, manual and registration was stolen.

I called Acura Client Relations and they were downright rude. I am *deeply* unsatisfied by the response by acura. I'm filing a police report today.

I'm glad to hear there are a number of other people with the same issue. Hopefully this helps catch whoever is behind this.
    sorry to hear that. Is it only acura's that are getting things stolen from. When living in Stroudsburg, Pa a few years ago the same thing was happening. We owned a mazda that was locked but someone got in somehow. They stole the ashtray that had coins and tokens plus the manual. I know they have done that to bmw's.
    I can see taking the registration to get your address, but why do they steal the manual?
    I have no idea but it was taken. I used to leave the service receipts in my car-I no longer do that-I also do not leave my registration or anything that has my name and address on it in the glove box.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    There is a market for owner's manuals.
    This sounds like an "inside job". Someone who works for one of the Acura dealers in SF area must either know of a vulnerability in the locking system of TL and TSX, or can duplicate a "master key' that can unlock the cars.
    Well, these kind of TSX break-ins have been talked about here at Edmunds since 2004 at least.
  • concord94518concord94518 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 TSX was broken into last night in Walnut Creek. It was parked directly outside the service entrance to Walnut Creek Honda while we were hanging out in the downtown area. If you're familiar with the area, you'll also note that this is not 150 yards away from the police station! Typical thing - no sign of forced entry, took my old CD's, jacket and prescription glasses. Left the owners manual. Very frustrating - it's like those things don't have any value to anyone else, but will cost me hundreds of dollars to replace.

Anyway, because of the proximity to the Honda dealership and the police station my first inclination is that this has to be some sort of inside job, as whomever did it obviously knew what they were doing. They had to have been fast and didn't worry about looking suspicious to the police. Well, lesson learned - I'll never keep anything in that car again.
    Was your car still armed when you returned to it, or did they somehow managed to disarm the alarm? I wonder if an aftermarket alarm would deter these break-ins since obviously there is the TSX has some weakness in its securty "armour" that has become public knowledge.
  • concord94518concord94518 Member Posts: 2
    It was locked using the key fob transmitter. However, I think that if you open the door with the key, it also disarms the alarm. An aftermarket alarm would indeed still sound if the car was armed and the door opened with a key without disarming the alarm first.
    and I would also be curious if any owner of an '09 TSX (2nd generation) has had his car similarly violated.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    is, if you drive a TSX, to keep it the hell out of the Bay Area, so long as you have a choice.

I drive quite a bit in CA, but I'm making sure I don't spend the night in that vicinity with my '08 (the last one before the beak).

An insider clearly has the key(s) to the kingdom.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kwokadooskwokadoos Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 TSX has been broken into twice in the last six months in the Cow Hollow neighborhood of San Francisco. Just like the break-ins noted by other TSX owners in this forum, mine were unforced entries as well. The first time I thought I forgot to lock my doors so I didn't do anything about it. My bluetooth headset was taken. My owners manual and registration were left alone, thank goodness. The second break-in occurred this past weekend. My car battery was taken this time.

Thanks for all the posts. I'm looking into getting a second alarm system for the car. I will also contact Acura Client Relations tomorrow. I'm so paranoid that every time I walk up to my car, something will be taken.
  • lcarch65lcarch65 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, my '09 was hit just this morning. I walked out and my truck was open. I thought maybe I had accidently hit the button as I was going in last night but after I realized the interior had been gone through and that they didn't crawl thru the trunk it was though the doors. I'm sure I locked the car and now reading these comments I realize there's something up.
  • hdjcpahdjcpa Member Posts: 15
    Is it possible that when you enetr your TSX, there is some other electrical devise in your possession that is causing interference with your key fobe or security system (like a cell phone, blackberry, laptop, etc)?
  • tragictragic Member Posts: 2
    I believe there is a master key out there where the person can just get into your car without setting the alarm off. (if you have a stock alarm) I had my car "broken" into sometime early this morning, I filed a police report and noticed that the person went through the glove box and etc. I am glad that not much was taken and the fact that there was no force entry (which is way better than replacing a window). This happened around the Nob Hill area in SF. Yes, like everyone else, I thought I left the car unlocked the first time, now I believe there is a "key" out there.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    that there is a master key or something similar afoot in the Bay Area. It's certainly been a consideration for me when I travel up there, which I do from time to time.

If you drive a TSX in the Bay Area, especially in the city itself, beware -- big time. Park in a locked garage or take everything you value out of the car when you leave it.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tragictragic Member Posts: 2
    I called the Acura's Client relations department and found out that there is nothing we can do about the "master key" or "remote cloning" issues. They are "unaware of such issues or any reports".

I went to my dealership and had my remote fobs reset. The guy told me to "install an after market alarm system" (Acura of Serramonte). Like someone suggested, use your key or just get an after market alarm system.

Acura's Client relations: 800 382 2238, option 5

**I also suspect that someone will set your alarm off - wait till the owner disarms and clone your remote when you disarm.
  • sn1980sn1980 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Tsx has been broken into 6 times in the last 2 years. Each time they've only opened compartments in the front seat area. However, last night, they had the guts to go through my trunk as well. I live in North Beach - it's a safe and well-lit neighborhood.

I will also contact client relations as well.

Although they never stole anything of large value, it's a violation of privacy.
    Can not be that safe of a neighborhood if your car is broken into that many times-
  • rayraysorlorayraysorlo Member Posts: 1
    Maybe this is the result of technology where iPhones were used to disarm the cars since you can use them to pretty much turn on/off many high tech items. I do hope Acura did something about this for the 2nd gen TSX... more specifically the 2012 model which I just purchased...
  • vsabia84vsabia84 Member Posts: 10
    I am in the process of financing a 2012 tsx. They are offering me the python 1601 security/remote start system for $525. The sales manager said the acura remote start system is too expensive??? Does anyone know if its worth getting?
  • vsabia84vsabia84 Member Posts: 10
    The best price I got do far for a 2012 tsx with tech package is 31,851 with $500 towards the down payment. Would you consider this a good deal? This is the price before taxes n fees.