Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Problems

Comments

• shelleypaceshelleypace Member Posts: 3
    No, it happens continuously. The turn indicators and etc. work fine, but the dash gauges all seem to have a heartbeat (Heartbeat of America? :{ ) Anyway, I am trying to diagnose a complicated situation with little or no knowledge. Thanks for your suggestions and any other help you can offer.
  • nelsonrnelsonr Member Posts: 9
    my wife works in a dealerhsip (chrysler) about the light coming on she asked one of the mechanics and he said the
    damn hated light might come on if the ignition key shows
    signs of excessive use (worn out)***this is only one of 1,000000 reasons **********************because the computer
    isn't getting a full reading of the key, and it can also
    kinda delay your ignition when starting up the car.
    he said to replace the key. I called the dealer it would
    cost me about $ 12 bucks.isn't too bad. im trying this first
  • rschaffnerjrrschaffnerjr Member Posts: 1
    How did this problem work out for you. We are having the same exact problem.

Thanks
    Robert
    schaffnerjr@cs.com
  • nelsonrnelsonr Member Posts: 9
    we have not done anything yet. the light hasn't come on since the last time I wrote about the problem. (6,days)
    but I am damn sure it will come on tomorrow just because im
    writing about it. I dont know anymore. I haven't had the chance to go get the key made, but I will some day.
    does anyone know about this problem ?????
    lowes got the key for $$4.80
    home depot for $$ 4.00
    wal-mart $$ 3.50
    dealer $$ 12.00
  • csquirescsquires Member Posts: 1
    To all,
    I have recently had the same/similar problem. I now no longer have any instrument cluster light. The turn signal, cruise, idiot lights all work and so does the gear indicator (but it is extremely dim). I have checked the fuses and they all seem to be OK. I have no idea if it could be the BCM or not as it's only the illuminating lights in the dash that have been effected. Please help.
    Thanks,
  • eray2000eray2000 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same no start problem with my 02 impala since last May. Have been to dealer three times and they just can't duplicate it. I decide to take a look myself. Just wondering if anyone could point me to a step-by-step instructions on how to locate BCM and repair BCM connectors.

Many thanks.
    Hi, 0patience,

I have the same security light/no start problem on my 02 impala.

I tried to remove BCM from under dash but did not succeed. I can see a black box with 3 connectors ( I suspect it is BCM ). But somehow it seems hard to get it out since there is very limited space around. I tried to remove connectors first but did not find the right clip to disengage them.

Just wondering if you could give me some glue on how to disengage the connectors and get the BCM out.

Many thanks.
  • kemookemoo Member Posts: 2
    My IPC lights went out about a week ago. Did you get your's fixed. If so how did you repair? Thanks
  • kemookemoo Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem - Did you get yours fixed? Thanks
    I have experienced no start/security problem for my 02 impala since last year. Decided to take a look by myself. Finally I managed to take the BCM off. I noticed a lot of yellow dots on solder points on the BCM board (both in front and back). Please take a look at

http://mysite.verizon.net/hhlloregon/bcm01.jpg
    http://mysite.verizon.net/hhlloregon/bcm02.jpg

Is it possible that the BCM is defective? Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I believe the yellowish material on the circuit board either is solder flux material or conformal coating. The use of conformal coating is very common on automotive products

Solder flux is used for helping the soldering process: make solder flows better and reduce short between adjacent pins. It is no difference than the solder flux that we use at home for soldering water copper pipes.

The conformal coating material is a liquid coating to insulate the electrical circuits from moiture condensation (that causes virtual short or detuning circuitries). That use is common in some vehicle modules

I do not think they are electrical burn marks. Besides, if they are burn marks, you should recognize the electrical burn smell right away upon opening this box.

I have read somewhere in the Impala discussions about the cause of most BCM module problem is on the main connectors themselves : intermitten due to loose terminals (metal mating parts of the connectors). That causes the BCM computer to go crazy.

jt
    Thank you very much for the information. I have decided to have a mechanic permanently bypass the passlock system. Hopefully that will work.
  • batmasterson17batmasterson17 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced one of the modules but nothing changed. There is supposed to be a 30 amp fuse that may be the culprit but I can't seem to find it. Does any one have a clue as to where it is? There are a bunch of wires that I am afraid to move. Could it be under there?
  • blackimpalablackimpala Member Posts: 2
    Hi -

On our '00 Impala, it has the "homelink" feature and all works fine except that the outside temperature reading is about 10-12 degrees colder than actual.

I've noticed a variable setting, but nothing about it in manual and from "trying it" I can't seem to calibrate it.

Does anyone know how to calibrate this thermometer setting ?

Thanks in advance !
  • fnonefnone Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I have the same problem and have not yet fixed it. The calibration is for the compass zone, not the temperature on my car. I'm guessing that I'll have to replace the computer or the temp sensor. I decided to wait until I need service on something else before I have it looked at.
    Rob
  • lindaflindaf Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem lot of you are having. The security light will come on then off again. I have been stranded about 4 times where my car would not start after it had been sitting a while. Called dealership they advised this big routine to go through. I know I have to wait 10 mins then it will start. Very frustrating. My impala is 2001. Dealership cannot find problem unless it is happening when I bring it in. Called GM to ask for recall. Have not heard anything back yet. :sick:
  • thekrautthekraut Member Posts: 7
    Please tell us how you found a mechanic that could bypass the passlock system. Dealer? Independent?
  • thekrautthekraut Member Posts: 7
    Did the $12.00 key fix your problem? Thanks
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    My father inlaw's Impala is driving him nuts with the intermittent security light and no start condition. The dealer suggests he spend $700 on a new module but they cant guarantee that will fix it. They even gave him a copy of the bulletin, doc ID 1547837 below with his written estimate.

"BCM - Security Lamp ON/No Crank/DTC's Set
    Bulletin No.: 04-08-47-003
    Date: August 31, 2004
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Security Light On, Engine Will Not Crank, Diagnostic Trouble Codes B2958 and/or B2960 (Repair Poor Terminal Connections at Body Control Module)
    Models:
    2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    Condition:
    Some customers may comment on an engine that will not crank. Others may comment on the security light
    being on. Technicians may find DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) B2958 and/or B2960.
    Cause: These conditions may have several different causes. In each case, however, testing of the BCMs (Body
    Control Modules) replaced for these conditions are frequently found to be operating to specifications and are
    believed to have been replaced needlessly.

The following are the likely causes of these conditions:
    1. Damaged or loose/unseated terminals in these BCM connectors may cause a security light or no start
    condition:
    ^ BCM connector C1 (24-way, pink in color), terminal B9 (white wire, circuit 1459)
    ^ BCM connector C1 (24-way, pink in color), terminal B12 (black wire, circuit 1835)
    ^ BCM connector C2 (24-way, grey in color), terminal A3 (yellow wire, circuit 1836)

Blah blah blah, etc...etc..

SO...they use the words "replaced needlessly" and "likely caused by" yet attached to this I have an estimate to replace part# GM10489422 module at a cost of $700 total parts including labour. I now find that the part number is an Electric Ignition Control Module. Huh??

I want to get the BCM removed so anyone with info or tips please let me know. The yellow spots on the circuit board someone is referring to are indeed solder flux, a very normal thing to find and is NOT the problem. What one needs to look for is cracked solder connections. Those usually show up as a small crack or ring around the solder connection and most often when found are on the larger type connections such as the posts which a plug goes onto.

Cracked, cold or otherwise poor solder connections is imho probably the single most common reason for equipment failure, of any type. The second most common problem is electrolytic capacitor failure which has become almost epidemic in the past few years. I dont see any electrolytic capacitors of crap on the picture of the BCM module.

I'm an electronic tech and in the past 25 years or so I've repaired 1,000's of bad solder connections on circuit boards and modules in various equipment (not vehicles) and the pattern is always the same. This module is not any different in construction than one found in a TV, computer or similar electronic device. I need to get it out and inspect it closely. While it's out I will most likely resolder all connections on the plug posts and check the plugs for corrosion or other problems.

Now I need to be able to get it out, if the father inlaw allows me to try this. Any info someone may have to get this thing out would be appreciated :)

I would of course post my findings here if I got through with the removal, inspection (and hopefully repair).
    Eray2000, thx for the pictures of the BCM! Those are great high res pictures and I can almost say that some of those solder connections along that row by the grey socket may be bad. Thats on the file bcm02.jpg. Fantastic shot!

I know if that was my module, out of the car like that one is, I'd be resoldering every one of those joints.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    The following are the likely causes of these conditions:
    1. Damaged or loose/unseated terminals in these BCM connectors may cause a security light or no start
    condition:
    ^ BCM connector C1 (24-way, pink in color), terminal B9 (white wire, circuit 1459)
    ^ BCM connector C1 (24-way, pink in color), terminal B12 (black wire, circuit 1835)
    ^ BCM connector C2 (24-way, grey in color), terminal A3 (yellow wire, circuit 183

Based on this info, it is not the BCM pin (inside the BCM module) not soldered properly. The problem is limited to the vehicle wiring harness that is connected to the BCM module.

Every copper wire is terminated with a metal terminal by crimping . The terminals (female type) are then inserted into the vehicle connector housing. I bet either the crimping job were bad or the terminals got loose from the connector housing and then cause electrical disconnection.

Good luck

jt
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    If any of you have the dreaded turn signal/hazard light problem, you can replace the hazard switch yourself in about ten minutes with simple tools.

Here's some photos of how to do it:
    http://www.flickr.com/gp/93599926@N00/7ru3N6

The hazard switch is GM part #10359031
    http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/
  • terri411terri411 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for this info!! I will be ordering the switch tomorrow and replacing it myself. :)
    shadow5599, thank you very much for pointing out the possible bad solder connections. Recently, I had a mechanic to permanently bypass the PASSLOCK system through PCM code hacking. Not sure if it works or not and I have to wait for several months to see. I will post back when I am sure the problem is fixed.

In fact very few mechanics have the equipment and knowledge to perform this kind of hacking (I believe most dealers don't know how to do that either except ripping you off for no-sure fix). I also found a link at other forums

http://www.e-z.net/~iei/vatts.htm

Follow the procedure and you should be able to bypass the PASSLOCK system too.

Good luck to everyone who has trouble with the security/no start problem.
    I havent looked at the car yet but not quite understanding the bypass procedure. Especially where the resistor goes. I can see it goes between the black wire and a point labeled as 87. Where is this point 87 on the diagram physically located? Is that block they show a relay or?
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I always seem to have water/condensation in my driver side headlight and foglight. About a year ago I took out my headlight, dried it out with a heatgun and put a little clear silicone sealer around the edge to make sure it wouldn't leak, but the darn thing still has water in it, as does the foglight. Driver side only which is weird, passenger side is fine.

Any ideas on where this water could be coming from??
  • saclfasaclfa Member Posts: 3
    Just.curious.if.this.fixed.your.problems.I.have.the.exact.
    same.symptoms.
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    Replace the "passlock" sensor, that should fix the "no-start" problem.

:)
    I have moisture in my headlights too.

I tried silicone around the headlight lenses. Seemed to lessen the amount of water/moisture.
    Problem still occurs occasionally!

My 02 Impala is a total lemon!
    I will never buy CHEVY again!

I had to have the dealer replace the BCM right after the factory warranty ran out!!

Then a year later the "Passlock" sensor went bad!

Not to mention I have to put stop leak in the radiator because the intake manifold gasket leaks!

My High/Low Beam combination switch doesmn't work properly!
    Some times when I switch to high beam the lights shut off!

If GM doesn't recall these defective headlight switches, some one is going to get killed!! Can you say "Class action law suit?" :lemon:

My new Japanese SUV hasn't given me any problems!
  • saclfasaclfa Member Posts: 3
    Im.going.to.have.the.passlock.replaced.this.week.Should.
    I.also.have.the.bcm.replaced.to.correct.the.other.problems.
    Because.my.traction.control.comes.on.all.the.time.and.the.
    security.light.comes.on.while.driving.and.the.tachometer.is.really.eratic.Not.to- .mention.the.battery.is.dying.every.
    night.Thanks.for.the.help
    I was replying to "lindaf"

What year Impala do you have? and what model?

I would replace the "passlock" sensor if you have the intermittant "no start" problem.

Typical symptoms of a defective BCM is the clicking noise in the dash, air bag warning lights stay on, headlights blink erratically, and security light flashes.
  • icartaicarta Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Impala for 2 years. Never had any problems until my warranty expired. Now I am having electrical issues (so I believe). One of my low beam/daytime running lights went out, so I had it replaced. Within a few days, the light went out again, then I noticed both of my lights were out. I had finally found noticed that the connectors for the lights were totally fried. Had them replaced about 2 weeks ago. Today, my the driverside light is out again! Checked the connectors, fine. Checked the bulb, fine. Anyone have any ideas before I spend a whole bunch of money I don't have to fix a car that I've already put way tooo much money into???

:mad:
  • emx72emx72 Member Posts: 3
    had the same problem check your fuse, and although it may look good take a closer look, my fuse was really popped but was connected by like a hairline causing the connector to melt and the other problems you mentioned, don't just test the fuse actually pull it out to look at it. Regards
    To those with similar problems, the intermittent no start/security light thing.
    If you have the original battery, change it.
    That solved my father inlaw's problem. He changed the battery about 4 weeks ago and the no start problem hasnt occurred since!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've got a 2000 Impala, and I believe I've changed the battery 3 times in the last 8 years. Each time prior to the battery going out, I had weird electrical things happening that didn't make any sense, but that cleared up once the battery was replaced. I know the last time I had trouble with the steering wheel mounted radio controls; I'd hit the button to advance to the next station, and the radio would seek indefinitely and such. I figured the radio was going out, but then I was out one night and got in the car and it wouldn't start. Called AAA and got a jump, took the battery to AutoZone and had it tested, and it was bad. The thing I wonder is if maybe there isn't a problem with the alternator that is ultimately causing the batteries to go bad or not.

In any event, if you start experiencing weird electrical issues with your Impala, you might want to pack a set of jumper cables just in case! :-)
  • 77067706 Member Posts: 2
    My headlights and turn signals stop working and start working again randomly.The dealers say`s I need a new multipurpose switch.$365 plus $140 labor.Is this a common problem because it sounds like a factory defect.I am thinking of contacting the BBB Autoline to see if I can get the manufacturer to reimburse the cost to me.
    If your turn signals can be "jump started" by depressing the hazard switch, that's probably the cause of your turn signal problem. Don't know about the headlights, but when my turn signals quit working all that was required was replacing the hazard switch. Granted your problem could be different, but if that's all you need it is something you can pretty easily do yourself, if you're not too scared to take the front fascia of your dash off to get to the back of the panel to pop out the switch. Don't remember the cost of the part (or the number at this point), but the cost of the part was well under $100. If you can't find more details in this forum, you might also check www.naioa.com and search their threads for specifics.
  • intimidator3csintimidator3cs Member Posts: 3
    I have a 00 Impala and now when it gets dark out and the automatic lighting kicks in all the lights on the dash, radio, console shifter go extremely dim, heater control lights are dim, to the point where I can't even see the time on the radio, nor the speedometer needle. During the day when the sensor kicks back to day mode the radio lights light up full and I have no other issues. Any one else have this problem?? Thanks everyone
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Do the lights respond to the control knob that adjust brightness? The same knob is generally the one that manually turns on the interior light. There may be a malfunction in that switch and resistor. Clark
    They don't respond,they just stay dim all the time, even if I try to turn up/down the brightness. If the switch/resistor is bad would the lights be on dim like mine are?? Is the switch/resistor an all in the one piece that is right behind panel?? Easy to replace?? Cost?? Again thanks again for the help
    Have you tried turning up the dimmer switch on the headlight pull out knob.
    I believe if you turn the knob ;) clockwise your dash lights will get brighter again.

My 02 Impala does the same thing. I just turn up the dimmer switch.
    No, the lights don't respond brighter/dimmer whether I turn it clock/counterclockwise, just stay really really really dim.
  • loosenutloosenut Member Posts: 165
    i am SO glad i stopped driving bowtie stuff a while ago..a friend who makes some extra coin changing brahes and other minor repairs had a friend of his dad's with a-02 impala-the turn signal's stopped flashing after five times..seems the flasher is integrated with the sound system to alert dummies when they leave their signal on for miles..UNFORTUNATELY, to replace the stupid thing requires pulling the top of the dash just to get to it,THEN the flasher was $150. of course,you couldn't just replace it with a regular flasher..
    mom had a-89 baretta,and it was another one where the turn signal and brake lites were always screwed up,and she bought it new!!
    ..i stear clear of G-ENERAL M-ALFUNTION products,and it's a shame,they used to be the industry standard..when they can't turn out a product with the electrical systems any better than the english,it's time to close the doors and go home!!
    I don't know what the cost is, or what the procedures are for replacement, but it sounds like the resistor/rheostat has gone bad. It generally varies the resistance as you turn the knob, and thus decreases/increase the current flow and the brightness of the light. Sorry--I just know the electronics principles; I don't have any practical experience working on the Impala.

Anyone out there have experience replacing the dimmer switch; any help for intimidator3cs? Thanks, Clark
  • 77067706 Member Posts: 2
    The multifunction switch was shorted out.The dealer has no idea why niether does general motors.Just had to replace the switch.no guarantee it wont do it again.A very expensive repair to keep the headlights on.Its no wonder Toyota has the top spot now.
    The car I had before my Impala was a Toyota, and it had as as many (or possibly more) problems as I've had with my Impala, though neither has given me enough trouble for me to consider either of them "bad" vehicles that I wouldn't buy again. Thus far in life I've owned one Dodge, a Buick, a Toyota, two Chevrolets, a Jeep, two Fords, a Geo, and a Honda. Each had their share of problems, but other than one of the Fords (which was actually my wife's car originally), I really couldn't complain about any of the others. The Honda has probably given us the least trouble, but it's only a few years old, so I wouldn't expect it to start having issues at this point. A quick google search will show you that no manufacturer is immune from building lemons; each makes some vehicles that are better than others, but you can't make blanket statements about an entire manufacturer's product line much anymore, since they've all got some good, and some not so good car out there.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Amen! Bashing of American makes (which are more and more non-American made) is really getting old. I've owned American cars exclusively (with the exception of the mostly Mazda Ford Probe) since the late 80s. I've had cars that were solid black circles from Consumer Reports and yet, I've had no real problem with any of them.

The general perception out there, perpetuated by the press, is that American makes are inferior. But, the folks who are parroting those claims usually have no idea about the modern car business nor any mechanical knowledge about how a car "works." Once the seed is planted, owners of American cars will see every minor flaw as proof of the American car curse while owners of import brands will discount any problem as an exception to the rule. If you look for negatives, you'll find them just as you would positive attributes.

Even though the Impala is an old design underneath its fairly fresh skin, it's a great car for the money. It's packed with features, many of which aren't available on its competitors, and the major technology is tried and true. Are there some recurring problems, sure (the ISS comes to mind). But, most are annoyances rather than REAL problems. In addition, repairs are usually half of what they would be with a Japanese or European brand (and that's being generous).

Before anyone buys a car, they should feel confident in their decision and have confidence in the company to which they're paying such a large amount of money. If not, then they only have themselves to blame. Wallowing in self-pity and blaming problems on an old truth isn't an effective way of dealing with problems.
    I have an 02 Impala with a defective combination switch too! I totally agree with your post!

I can't believe GM doesn't recall this item!! I have driven down the road and my headlights have gone out when switching from high to low beam!!

Eventually, after someone gets killed, GM may respond after the family of the deceased sues them.

I've had American Cars almost all my life- my 1967 Nova with the inlicne 6cyl was more reliable than my 2002 Impala!

Chevy just doesn't care about quality or customer service any more! :mad:

The Impala is a complete lemon! :lemon:
    So far my impala had:

1) Defective BCM (causes "security light to blink and headlights/dashlights to blink)
    2) Defective Passlock sensor (Ignition system- causes delay in the key working properlY)
    3) Defective intake manifold gasket (leaks antifreeze!)
    4) Defective Combination switch (headlights go out while driving at night!)
    5) Steering wheel noise (defective input shaft)

These items should be part of mass recall!!

I actually purchase a Japanese SUV last year. 18k miles with no problems!!

Bye bye Chevy!!
  • toddhartleytoddhartley Member Posts: 1
    To all those with "BCM" issues on the Impala:

I have an 01 with a 3.4 L engine, and I have experienced many of the same strange electrical problems as many of you on this thread. Specifically, I have encountered the following:

- Intermittent no start/no click/no crank - no nothing
    - Parasitic drain on the battery that can be traced to the circuit hosting the BCM/CLSTR fuse
    - Radio possessed by the devil
    - Interior lighting that turns on and off whenever it wants to.
    - ABS light on constantly
    - No trouble codes set
    - I honestly don't know how much $$ I have spent replacing perfectly good parts.

Now, some of the common issues I've seen on this thread that my car has NOT exhibited (at least not yet):
    - Flashing security light
    - Combination headlight switch
    - Four-way flasher switch.

Here is what I've done so far:

By last week, I had hit so many dead ends with this car, that I decided to roll the dice and buy a new BCM. I installed it, and much to my delight, my car started right up every time, and there was no sign of the other issues either. This excitement was short-lived however, because about six hours later - all the problems were back.

So, after I finished an epical temper tantrum in my driveway, matched only by the great Steve Martin, I proceeded to: (1) print off about 100 pages of wiring diagrams and (2) rip apart my dash. I chose to go after the parasitic battery drain first, since I thought that would be easier to find (and I was hoping it was all related).

After about a week, I finally found it. I actually have 10 volts of power coming OUT of the BCM on the Ignition 0 circuit (#1500) - even with the key off. This is the purple wire in position A12 entering the BCM via connector C1 (the pink connector). If you have access to a wiring diagram for this circuit, you will notice that this wire is supposed to SUPPLY voltage to the BCM, not carry it from the BCM. Also note that there should be NO voltage on this circuit unless the ignition switch is in the "run" position.

This leads to the parasitic drain on the battery, but the BCM itself is not using the power, it is supplying it to the instrument panel cluster (the "I/P") via the purple wire in position A8 of the I/P connector (Ignition 0, or circuit #1500). This voltage, in turn, powers the servo motors in the I/P that control the guages. However (in my case at least) although it is not noticeable simply by looking at the I/P, these motors are using enough power (about 500+ m/a) to drain the battery in short order. At this point, I cannot place any blame on the I/P itself, because it is just using the power that is being sent to it.

More (perhaps even MOST) importantly, I cannot blame the BCM either. Although it has a problem, it is not THE problem. You see, I still have my old BCM as well as the new one, and it also has voltage exiting the BCM on the "A12" wire. In other words, there is a short somewhere else in the car that is "blowing" the BCM. So it doesn't matter how many of these things I buy, I will not have a permanent fix until I find the true culprit.

So in summary, if you have similar issues, you may not want to go blow $400 on a new BCM just yet. Perhaps you may want to instead learn from my rather expensive mistake.

Now that I know what happened, I am going after the real culprit. This is not easy when you don't know where to begin, so I am trying to locate a company that will analyze my BCM's circuit board. This should tell me which circuit is shorted. Then I will find the problem, and post it here.
    Todd, I commend you for your Herculean efforts in tracking down and posting what you have discovered. You obviously have some exceptional electronics abilities combined with commitment and perseverence beyond the average person. I have read of the dreaded BCM problems for a couple years with fear that it would visit my car. Press on and keep us posted. Clark