Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Problems

Comments

• jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Todd,

What a heroic effort !!!

On the BCM problem, I have read somewhere in this forum that one of the culprits is the BCM vehicle connector itself of being intermitten. There was a TSB on this subject that stated some connector terminals are not making stable connection to the BCM module. That may explain the reason for your new BCM not working just like the old one since they are not the real problem.

Ways to check for this problem:

1. Visually inspect every wire in the BCM vehicle harness to see any one of them work its way out of the connector housing. You may want to gently pull each wire to see that problem. This may be caused by:

a. Lousy terminal blocking mechanism design of the connector housing
    b. The cable is not long enough and causing natural pull on the wire
    c.Manufacturing defect: wire not inserted fully into the connector?
    d. The connection terminal (metal piece that is crimped onto each wire) is not crimped properly

2. Electrical continuity check (aka. Ohmmic check, resistance check) between every wire on the vehicle connector and the circuit board connection of the BCM module. For this step, you need to open the BCM module so that you could probe the main mating connector on the BCM's circuit board. Note that a lot of Automotive circuit board use "Conformal coating" (a coating that protect circuitries moisture built-up problem) so you may have to probe past that coating layer to get to the connector pins. This will tell of there is intermitten problem. While doing that , you may just want to wiggle the vehicle cable a bit to see if certain wire(s) has the problem. For this step, you do need to connect the BCM module with the vehicle harness and ignition off. Be careful with ESD (Electrical Static Discharge) since that will zap and damage electrical circuits. So to avoid that, you use Ground trap between your body and the metal part of the car. If that that is not practical, then at least touch a metal part inside the vehicle (while holding a key) first before touching the BCM module. In the winter, ESD occurs more common due to dry air

Good luck

jt
  • pbotapbota Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Impala with an intermittent headlight problem. They fail to come on automatically and even when I pull the manual switch. The automatic turns on the taillights, but not the headlights. If I leave it run for a while and cycle the manual headlight switch they usually light up, but I am worried that they are going to stop working altogether and then I am done. I have had it into the dealship and they could not find the problem as it wasn't doing it when it was there.
  • shygrl1387shygrl1387 Member Posts: 5
    My boyfriend owns a 2002 Impala, its got about 120K on it so its starting to get up there. We have been experiencing electrical problems within the past 6 months with the wiperblades, turn signals and the change oil prompt on the dash. I used to have the same problems when I owned a 2000 Cavalier, lights inside would work wiper intermittent would get stuck.... His car is starting to do the same. His windshield wipers get stuck in the middle of the window when on intermittent and then after a few seconds start to go again, but if you just tap it to go once they are fine, go all the way without getting stuck. Also, occasionally his turn signals won't turn on and the only way to fix it is to tap the hazards and then they start to work again. Lastly, his change oil light keeps coming up even thought the oil was change about a month ago, that light just started to show in the past 2 weeks or so. What the heck is going on? Is there anything we can do to fix these problems, or is this just something because the car is getting old and it's end is near...??
  • pbotapbota Member Posts: 2
    I had my car into the dealership to talk through my lighting problem, he asked about other wierd conditions, like false warning lights, lights shutting off or not coming on, etc...he said the BCM (Body Computer Module) controls all of that stuff including the headlights, unfortunately they are a couple hundred bucks, but at least it should fix the problem. These newer cars with all of the computers, you never quite know what they are controlling on the vehicle any more.

My headlight problem ended up being the relay...$8 versus $200+ for the BCM or $400+ for the turn, dimmer, switch assembly.

Good Luck
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I think you've got separate problems instead of one major one. I don't know about the wipers, but the turn signal not working and being able to jump-start them with the flasher button is a sure sign that your hazard switch needs to be replaced. You should be able to dig around online and find the part number fairly readily; replacing it does require removing the front of the dash, but it's actually pretty simple as I recall (removing some screws, and then popping the face plate off).

On the oil change light; does he know for certain that the oil change light was reset when the oil was changed? The light comes on based on time/usage since the last time it was reset, but it doesn't actually examine the oil to know if it's dirty or not. You can reset the oil change light via the radio controls; I'd try that first and then if it comes back in within a week or so then you've probably got a problem.
    Thanks for all that information... how do you reset that through the radio controls?
    I sold my Impala last month :cry: but I do still have a pdf of the 2000 Impala owner's manual on my computer, so I looked up the details.

Basically turn the key to the ACC or ON position, but don't turn on the radio. Push the DISP button for 5 seconds, until SETTINGS is displayed on the radio. Press the SEEK button up or down until you come to OIL LIFE. Press the PREV or NEXT button until RESET is displayed, then press the DISP button. You should hear a chime and DONE will appear on the radio. When you're done just keep scrolling with the SEEK button until you come to EXIT, and then hit DISP.
    Thanks a lot. We figured out the main problem as to why the relay isn't working properly. He has a security system installed a few years back and the wiring is all messed up. They are going to remove it for him and rewire the car correctly and see if that helps any. But thanks for letting me know how to change the oil light. I'll definatly try that next time I'm in the car.

We are going to be trying to see his Impala as well in the spring any suggestions?
    Does "see" = "sell"? If so, I ran mine in the local paper, and got maybe 4-5 calls, but all from people who wanted to know if I'd take about half the price I had listed in the paper. I'd pretty much decided to keep the car around for a year and let my 15-year-old daughter drive it when she turns 16 in 2009, but then I tried listing it on craigslist. I only had one response, but I sold it to that person. I didn't get what I was asking for it, but I did get more than people were offering from the newspaper (and at least this guy came and test drove it before he started negotiating the price). Considering the money I saved on insurance and the partial refund I got on the sales tax (for selling it within 45 days of buying my new car), I pretty much got what I was asking for the car. My only other advice is to get the car detailed; I meant to but really didn't think I'd have any luck selling it...if I'd had it thoroughly detailed I'd have probably gotten several hundred more dollars for it.
  • danw213danw213 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has an 07 impala that has some intermittant problems that i was wondering if anyone else experiences. While driving all guages shut down, still drives fine but is scary. It wont start at times, either by remote or key. When that happens, windows and lights work, onstar guages and radio do not. Been in shop 4 times, cant figure it out.
  • policeimpalapoliceimpala Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 police edition impala. I recenetly had a problem with the power windows. I went down, but not up. I took it to a mechanic, and he checked the switch, cable, and motor, and it was none of faults. He said it was electrical problem. i been to other shops and no one seems to know how to mess with the electrical system. What can i do?
    I had a 2000 model and had the window quit in the down position at one point...my problem was the switch; I'd had some warning signs previous to it's failure though...found at time I had to hold the switch a certain way for it to work and such. I'd say if you were having some similar signs you should probably consider the switch, especially if it was only one window (likely the driver's side).

FWIW when mine went out I couldn't leave it down, because I was going to a conference the next day and would have to leave the car parked overnight downtown. I went to Radio Shack and bought a set of small jumper wires (with alligator clamps on each end); I removed the switch from the door, unplugged the wires, and then jumped the wires for the driver's door to the adjacent switch for the passenger window, and was able to use that switch to roll the window up. Then I left the switch out of the door, so I wouldn't absentmindedly open it again by mistake (the switch would open fine, but not close).
  • torque3k1torque3k1 Member Posts: 2
    :cry:

I have been struggling with a problem with my 2003 Impala Sport over the last 6 weeks, and there seems to be no solution.

It started when my impala lost the ability to spray washer fluid, it just stopped, and the whole arm unit with the wiper controls that sticks out of the steering column was the culprit, so that whole unit was replaced. $800.00 later, I could spray washer fluid. I went to pick my car up from the dealer, and the battery was completely dead. After a boost I was on my way home. This was Friday, and on Monday my battery was dead again.

I took the car back to the dealer, and they put a new battery in, and worked fine for almost a week, and then it died. They replaced it with another one, and another week later, died again. I made an 'x' on the batteries, so knew that they were replacing them for sure.

I decided to take the car to another dealer, and they had it for days, saying in the end that no problems were found with anything like alternator, starter, trickle power draw, and the battery itself. Eventually, when the battery had died again, they declared the faulty battery was the cause. cry. So they put another battery in, and I went home (40 minutes north) and 2 days later (yesterday) it was dead again.

Initially, the dealer assumed it was my satellite receiver, but that is never plugged in overnight, only when I am in the car. That was ruled out after leaving it at the dealer for the weekend after they put their new battery in (all batteries have been delco), and was dead in their lot over the weekend.

SO, here is my conclusion, which I mentioned to the dealer:

The replacement of the Wiper control arm is the cause of the subsequent power problems. Somehow. Not sure how, but could it be faulty? Or put in wrong? A short maybe? Could it be something else completely?

Although the dealer agreed this could be an issue, they just keep replacing batteries, and I am getting very frustrated.

If anyone here has any thoughts, would appreciate it. I am planning on just going to another dealer, and asking them to go right to where I believe the problem is, and paying them to check the part and reinstall it. I really don't know what to do, but I commute 40 mins to work, and having a constantly dead car is causing me and my wife a lot of headaches.

Thanks,
    Russell
  • emx72emx72 Member Posts: 3
    Check for a parasitic drain, the way its done is below you can use a test light or volt meter, I also would be concerned that if its not a grain it may be BCM related (but rare). Let us know what happens

1. Remove the negative side battery cable from the negative battery terminal.
    2. Attach an ammeter(this measures amperage) between the negative cable and the negative battery post. wait a few seconds to several minutes for the car to go into sleep mode. i.e. when you make the contact with the test light the cars computer systems "wake up" after a bit of time they will go to "sleep".
    3. If the ammeter is reading over 25-50 milliamps, something is using too much battery power.
    4. Go to the fuse panel(s) and remove fuses, one at a time. Pull the main fuses (higher amp ratings)last.
    5. Watch for the ammeter to drop to acceptable drain. The fuse that reduces the drain is the draw. Consult the owners' manual or service manual to find what circuits are on that fuse.
    6. Check each device (circuit) on that fuse. Stop each lamp, heater, etc. to find the drain.
    7. Repeat steps 1&2 to test your repair. The ammeter will tell you exact numbers.

EDITERS NOTE: The original author listed this repair using a 12v test light. As an ASE certified mechanic, the best place for your test light is the trash. A test light doesnt measure voltage; it shows if enough voltage is present to light the lamp.

1. An ammeter meaures current (in amps), and that is what you are fighting against if you have a parasitic drain problem.
    2. Harbor freight sells a $3 digital multimeter (dmm) that has an amps setting. I use a Fluke, but it's whatever your trying to spend your dollars on.
  • graychildrengraychildren Member Posts: 3
    I have a 3.8 01 Chevy impala c3 and its driving me crazy here some of the symptoms

1. Security warning light lights up( head lights flash without warning)
    2. Power locks do not work
    3. Low tire air warning light
    3 Check engine soon light does not shoot off
    4 head light go from low beam to high beam by themselves
    5 ABS light does not go off ( break pedal gets stuck)

Please help me guys I'm about to drive it into a canal....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I looked up the symptoms and it says to drive it into a canal.

No JUST KIDDING....

Ay, ay, ay--what a mess we have here....one would have to assume this is computer-related because I can't imagine all these different circuits actually short-circuiting by being adjacent to each other.

Can you have the alarm system totally disconnected and see what happens?

I really don't know where to start with this one....ay, ay, ay.... :sick:
    and to add problems to the list now it won't start i have to disconnect the battery wait like five minutes then connect the battery back up for the car to start..

sorry for the added troubles

besides that the car is in good shape..
  • lbrooks4lbrooks4 Member Posts: 4
    WOW, sounds like the same problems i had w/ my door locks etc and all the accessories in the car! it was the BCM then and i had that done back on November 26th, 2006 and guess what? Now having problems where the heat and rear defogger won't work. also the driver information center doesn't come on right away and during this time the sunroof won't open. When all finally does decide to come back on, the radio goes blank until i change the current station and go back. Nice huh??? i am beginning to think that my BCM is going bad again or it's something else, who know's, i'll find out today! it's CRAZY :P
    Well went to the dealer today for the mentioned problem with my car (message #274) and low and behold, they told me it is the ignition switch (the electrical part of it) nice. Went to another dealer and purchased the part for $116.00. Luckily hubby has the know how to install himself! Dealer told me they were looking at approximately $500.00 plus or minus. the dealer gets $110.00 an hour!!! :sick:
    April 23, 2008 having the same issue, just took my 01 impala ls to the dealer and they told me it was the ignition switch. bought the switch today and will probably change this weekend!! will keep posted if interested on how it goes
  • jayvee1jayvee1 Member Posts: 3
    To the one who replaced the ignition switch on their Impala. Did you have to have anything re programed in the computer or how difficult was it to replace the lock and the switch? I'm having the same problem with a 2000 Impala.
  • towmotortowmotor Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Impala that shortly after it reached 110,00 miles, the Security message light and the battery light came on and dinged. Last night, coming on to dusk, the Security light came on and there was a clicking noise and the instrument panel lights kept cutting out. After arriving home we noticed the headlights where blinking on and off. We've had the battery checked and is fine. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!
  • intstydrvnintstydrvn Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have the same problem everyone else does My questions is where is the BCM located on the impala. My car always recovers from this so I think its the connection to the BCM that is the problem not the computer itself

Thanks
    Jamie
  • danhilsmitdanhilsmit Member Posts: 4
    I was having most of the problems that you all had, with lights going on and off and locks opening and closing...I thought my vehicle was haunted...sometimes my interior lights just wouldn't go off. Someone at work would disconnect my battery and then reconnect and everything would be fine. I finally took it to another mechanic and he said that even though my battery was registering fine, I should change it anyways. I did this about 6 months ago and I haven't had a problem since. Now that I have posted this, I'm sure Murphy's Law will now kick in..
    On my 2000 Impala my battery failures were ALWAYS preceded by weird electrical glitches that went away once the battery died and was replaced.
  • jsannerjsanner Member Posts: 2
    Over the past winter my two guages were starting weekin out on me..When i first had trouble with them, they wouldn't start to move until the vehicle warmed up. Now they've stopped working all together. I am not sure on what to check first. The gas guage still works ok. It is a 2005 Chevy Impala, 3.4L. Please help.
  • sdanielsdaniel Member Posts: 7
    Hello,I am having similar problems with my 2003 impala. did changing the ignition switch clear up the problems?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Here are my woes with this car...recently...started having weird things happen...can be driving down the road with cruise on and all of a sudden it turns off...I can try to re-activate it but it won't work...seems i turn off the car and it fixes the problem...till next time...

Just got new batter and resistor replaced for blower motor...these problems occurred previous this work was done and still occur now.

I can be driving down the road and all of a sudden my left blinker doesn't work when turned on ...the right one is OK...this fixes itself after a number of minutes...
    When starting the car..the driver information center takes a longer than usual time to light up...but not always...while driving I have had the blower motor turn off for a few minutes and then start back up as if nothing wrong...

so it seems from past posts that this is either a BCM issue or an ignition switch issue...any educated quesses on which one it is? What are the approx. costs for a BCM and the ignition switch? I am in Canada eh...

Thanks in advance...so far I haven't been stranded but I can't wait for that to happen...

Scott
    To the people who replaced the ignition switch, could you do it yourself or was there programming required by the dealership?Does anyone know if I replace my ignition switch if there is some kind of programming required by the dealer ship? I have a 2003 ls 3.8L.
  • jitterjivejitterjive Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Impala. I have experienced the turn signal/ hazard light situation, but now I have a new one. All of my dash gauges have stopped working (fuel, speed, and temp). The mileage displays, but the gears do not (P,R,N, etc). My message center flashes between security, low fuel, battery, and have serviced soon. Additionally, my air blows but it is not cooling. All of this happened today at the same time! Does anyone have any advice or information on what could be causing this?
    Its your BCM, it happened to me..now the dealer were i got the car refuses to fix it...I'm stuck like Chuck on this one...
  • screech552screech552 Member Posts: 7
    not neccesarily your BCM ! i had removed it and ac still worked as with my engine still running. (the radio went out though) had some of these problems jitter, try wiggling your ignition switch to start while the engine is running. this will not grind your starter. there is some safety for that. my compass, a.c., started working. then try to tweek it back to on if it shuts off, its your switch. if you go to far the car will stall, so be gentle.

my new problem is in my driver door latch. the radio and dome like do not go on/off when i open the door, as with the retained accessory power features.

good luck!
    if you look in this thread for my issues...I believe they are now all fixed...I had the ignition switch replaced....Cost about $270.00 canadian ...

It has resolved all my weird problems.....just check above for what they were...

My thoughts are for these weird issues is that it is one of 2 things..either the BCM or the ignition switch....in my case it was the ignition switch....which by the way DOES NOT REQUIRE any re-programming....You might be able to replace yourself and save 1 hour labour charge....

Scott
  • 513phill513phill Member Posts: 2
    Need to find a replacement BCM for a 02 Impala 3.4, heard Autozone had pre-flashed or already flashed refurbished units, is this correct or are they even available ? it's my step sons wife and they are college kids with not alot of money so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thaks and happy 4th:) !!! :sick: :sick:
  • 513phill513phill Member Posts: 2
    hi ibrooks could you post a step by step on how to replace the ignition switch i'm having to do the same thing here. thanks in advance.
  • burg2412burg2412 Member Posts: 1
    have dash out & the lights that light up gauges are burnt out. however, cannot replace they are soldered into board. anyone know where you can find a new one or how to replace
  • onegod4meonegod4me Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the combination switch on my 2004 Impala. I have not been able to get the tilt steering lever off so I can get the steering column cover apart so I can get access to the combination switch. Does anyone know how to remove the tilt steering lever from the steering column? Any help would be appreciated.
  • bkhartbkhart Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your headlight problems. I have a 2002 Impala and my lights were doing the same thing. Now they do not come on at all. If i drive at night i have to drive with my brights on at all times.
  • anunezanunez Member Posts: 3
    hello i really need help i have a 2000 chevy impala 3.8 i drive for about twenty minutes and as soon as i shut the car off it wont turn back on i have to wait about twenty minutes or so then it will start right back up again please help i have changed the ignition control module and cole and it helped for about one week then started up again with the same symthoms please help
  • warkelwarkel Member Posts: 1
    My wifes Impala (114,000 miles) just recently started having a problem with the interior lights coming on at random. Even when the car is not being driven (parked in driveway) the lights will come on. What could be causing this? I removed the fuse so they would stay off, but I know this is only a band aid fix.
  • cabbbaileycabbbailey Member Posts: 12
    My wife's 2000 Impala has a weird problem where from time to time the turn signals will quit working. It happens at different times, seemingly for no reason, but we can push on the emergency flasher switch and the turn signals will start working again. I've already had it at a dealership, but they can't seem to find the cause of it until it does it there. That might not happen but once a month or so. It's a very intermittent problem, and not serious, but one that just bugs me. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • cabbbaileycabbbailey Member Posts: 12
    Actually it's a fairly common problem...the fact that you can "jump start" the flasher by hitting the emergency flasher is the key to knowing what the problem is. You need to replace that emergency flasher switch; you can do it yourself, but it involves removing the front of the dash (which isn't that difficult really; if you search around on the Impala forums here you should be able to find step-by-step directions, as well as the part number...I think I ordered mine online). It's been a couple of years since I dealt with this, but I'm thinking the part costs somewhere between $40-80, and it took maybe 30 minutes or so to do. You basically remove the front of the dash, disconnect the wiring on the back of the hazard switch, pop it out, pop in the new one, connect the wires, and put it all back together. Also know that your turn signal will likely sound different (I think generally quieter) than the old one.
  • poucchiepoucchie Member Posts: 2
    flashers stops working and when i put my emergency light it works again....they
    change the arm and it does the same thing...before we use to change a part<
    i don`t remember the name but it was changing that part for heavy duty and that
    would do the job...but now with everything electrical i don`t kwnow....would you
    know the name of that part or what do you think it would be....
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    Yes you are suffering from the dreaded hazard switch problem. I have step by step instructions on how to replace the switch without opening up the dashboard.

Chevy Impala Turn Signal Switch Replacement:
    Click here

The hazard switch is GM part #10359031:
    GMParts
  • poucchiepoucchie Member Posts: 2
    THANK YOU FOR THE TIP AND INFORMATION ABOUT MY IMPALA 2001
    YOU WERE RIGHT IT WAS THE HAZARD SWITCH THAT WAS THE PROBLEM
    THANKS AGAIN.....REAL SMART...
    POUCCHIE
  • 04impalaguy04impalaguy Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading about electrical issues with the Impala, but couldn't find this particular issue. Yesterday at work in the parking lot the alarm kept going off. On the way home the door ajar light would flash and the doors would lock/unlock repeatedly. I stopped and slammed the doors a couple times. Didn't seem to make a difference. I read about no starts and am trying to head this off before I end up there too. Any suggestions?
  • danhilsmitdanhilsmit Member Posts: 4
    I never had the alarm go off but I have had the rest...I would disconnect my battery for about 10 minutes and that would help for a couple of months....I finally just had the battery changed (even though that battery seemed fine) and I have not had that problem (knock on wood) for some time now.
  • killsmicekillsmice Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Impala 4 door sedan with a rear window defogger that has stopped
    working. Power gets to the switch and to the relay.
    Plug at window looks OK. Any ideas?
  • AC5FFAC5FF Member Posts: 1
    I just found this forum and just scanning threw these posts, it appears a lot of good information can be found! Hopefully it'll work for me too! :)

Tonight coming home from work I noticed when I pressed my breaks and the ABS would kick in (been snowing all day) the electrical system just seems to dim. I first noticed it when the radio volumn would go very low and then slowly build back up to where it was set at. Then I started noticing panel lights dimming. At one point it was like the car shut off (electrically) and kicked back in. Everything reset just like when you start the car - however the engine didn't 'stall' or anything that I noticed.

I'm open to ideas. I've been having problems with my ABS as it is (intermittant light) and my thermostat (stuck open). Saving up to repair those has been tough with the holidays - i am not looking forward to having something else to get repaired. :sick: