Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Navigation System

Comments

• navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The Palm Centro is not an apporved handset for Toyota. You may be able to get it to pair but the Transfer Phone Book feature will not work. In fact, you may find lots of features that dont work with that Palm device, or any other Palm device.

For approved Bluetooth devices go to:

http://toyota.letstalk.com/brands/toyota/mlh_toyota_splash.htm
  • jkirby26jkirby26 Member Posts: 1
    Hello gpsjunkie...I have seen your post and most of them are usefull....THANK YOU, but I have done a mistake though by following your override guide. You know when you get to that screen when you press the override button until it becomes green....I went to loading button instead and the JP-TSW is highlighted, I switch to US-RSW and now I have an error of unable to access program with some Chinese characters on it. How do I get back to that override screen. I tried doing that upper lefet lower left stuff...but does not work anymore on that caution screen because I cannot access the screen with the menu button to go to the dvd button. Please help.
  • mrpbjnancemrpbjnance Member Posts: 1
    Can Anyone tell me if those override procedures work for a 2005 Sienna XLE Limited.
    Also I called the dealer and they could not tell me the latest version that is out. Does anyone know.

Thanks You for your help
  • mhcoopmhcoop Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 6.1 DVD. What is the latest version for upgrade? Will a DVD Gen 5 V7.1 work?
    You just changed your system to another country. Now you will need that countries disc to then change it back to the US.
    A GEN 5 DVD map disc with Toyota part number 86271-5302X is compatible with your 2006 or newer Sienna.
    Check different Toyota dealerships for an 86841-45010-OW. Each dealership is free to set their own pricing.

At this time there is no repair program available to my knowledge.
  • bksktsbkskts Member Posts: 1
    Hi, We recently purchased a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE from Carmax. The navigation version is quite outdated- version 4.2 and we'd like to update it but don't know which generation our navigation system is. Which disc do I need to buy - I'd like to buy it on ebay since they are about $200 cheaper on there but they are all different and I'm so confused.
    Thanks for your help!
  • flowerkidzflowerkidz Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to respond even though this is over a year old. I have a 2004 Sienna and Toyota has given me 3 sets of run flat tires. If you havent gotten your money back for the tires call toyota they know the tire problems and most have been recalled. my first pair were bald at 12,000 miles the second lasted 8,000 miles. Hard to believe they still put them on the cars.Hope they refund you.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Oddly enough they added the run-flat option on the RAV4. Makes no sense to me.
  • akinakin Member Posts: 24
    Hey folks,

Is the radio supposed to mute or lower the volume when the nav voice commands come on? I just picked up a Sienna last night and on the drive home noticed that the radio volume never lowered or muted whenever the nav voice commands were broadcast. Is there a setting for this?

The unit must have the capability since whenever a phone call comes (through bluetooth) the radio mutes until you get off the phone.
  • h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone had a good experience using bluetooth capability with a phone? I want to buy a new phone and was wondering what would be a good choice as it concerns the use with the Sienna. Any provider or non-contract phone is up for consideration. I have viewed toyota.letstalk.com but that gives some information, but does not have reviews from users. Any phones that you would recommend?
    :confuse:
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Only the left front speaker mutes. Either raise the guidance volume in the navigation settings menu, or lower the radio volume. You can also use the voice commands "louder" and "softer".
  • otkaotka Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody succeeded on a 2008 model? I tried this sequence many times and have not been able to get the Override screen to show up.
  • mantoumantou Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know what the most recent version of the generation 2/3 systems (e.g. for a 2004 Sienna) the override menu function works? Does it work for firmware 2.1, 3.1, etc? I've definitely heard it still works for 5.1, but was disabled for 6.1
  • mantoumantou Member Posts: 9
    2007-2008 models use generation 5, which can only be overriden/disabled with a modified DVD or some wire cutting/soldering... I see the modified DVD on eBay occasionally
  • gpsjunkiegpsjunkie Member Posts: 15
    I've got 6.1 update which should be two years out of date on a 2/3 general system and the override works fine. The latest version should be 8.1, but I have no idea about the override on 7.1 or 8.1.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    Is there a way to use the Navigation system while moving? Like an override or something?
  • rhadarhada Member Posts: 2
    I have been trying all the things to get the over ride to work on my new 2009 Sienna, and I can not get any to work. Is there any over ride for the 2009 GPS

Thank You
    rehada
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of a 2007 or 2008 minivan, SUV or crossover that is loaded with two or more high-tech features such as a navigation system, DVD player, heated mirrors, parking sensors, rear view cameras, iPod connectivity, radio data system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, tire pressure monitoring, universal garage door opener, Sync, etc. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your vehicle.
  • toddhftoddhf Member Posts: 1
    I just talked with Toyota customer service discussing the age of data on the GPS Mapping disk in my 2006 Toyota Sienna. They informed me that they stopped selling the version 7.1 three months ago and released v8.1 a couple weeks ago. I'm on my way to my dealer to get my copy. Hope it doesn't cost me $200 because I have two Toyota cars with mapping software (and they are vastly different in display, function, and features even tho they are the same version).
    Don't be surprised if the 8.1 update costs way more than $200. The real rub is I can go to Walmart and pick up an update disk for a Garmin system for way less than $100. Where does Toyota get off charging so much for marginally updated disks?
  • oceancruiseroceancruiser Member Posts: 1
    how did you upgrade. I also have a 2004 XLE limited. I took the 3.1 ver out and put the other cd in and the screen said Caution please insert correct program cd. I put the old one back and it still give me the error. PLEASE HELP
    I hope you had a dvd, because there is close to 8 GB of data. I have put in downloaded disks and got the same type of error. Putting the original disk back in would fix the problem. In your case, you might turn off and then back on the power and see if it resets itself. If that doesn't work. Check your original disk for fingerprints or smudges. I can't discuss the actual upgrade process ;-)
    The Toyota DVD map disc includes databases from NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas as well as more POI information. In addition to POI info from NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas, other POI information comes from infoUSA - over 11 million POIs total are included. All of the licensing cost money per copy which raises the DVD map disc cost. Garmin POI count is less than 8 million.

Plus, restaurants, shopping, gas stations, hotels, ATMs and coffee shops are branded on the map.
    Yeah, but you can get those 8 million POIs for $65 on sale in a circular I saw this weekend.

Why should 11 million POIs cost more than 3 times as much?

Auto makers have made these serious cash cows for themselves.

Mazda is supposed to offer a $500 Navi option on the new Mazda3, hopefully others make their OEM GPS systems similarly affordable.
    Consumer and automotive electronics are different beasts. The relatively low volume products will cost more.
    They're buying the DVD from the same map suppliers. Aren't there just two main providers? NAVTEQ and I forget who else.
    Navteq & TeleAtlas are map data suppliers however there are more than two suppliers for POI data (which explains why POI quality is not as consistent between systems).

Most systems use one map supplier but the Toyota system uses both Navteq & TeleAtlas data (which could add additional cost as well).
    C'mon, If your backup camera goes out, Toyota charges something like $600 for the replacement. Go to Sam's and you can pick up a COMPLETE backup camera system with an 8" screen for something like $140. So it doesn't matter what the source of the data on the DVD, Toyota is getting their pound of flesh out of you. And with less cars selling, they're depending on sales of overpriced parts to weather the financial crisis. My $0.015 (deflation).
    POIs, that explains part of it.

Garmin still is missing the McDonald's in Bridgeville, DE, that has been there for decades.
    Well, those are not integrated. I like the ones built-in to the rearview mirror, but the installers still have to splice wires.

I found a simpler solution - a fish eye lens. It just sticks on with water, and comes right off. Works very well when lighting is good, fair when it's dark. I doubt a camera would be much better in dark conditions.

A camera would help if you have a hitch, though, to line up a trailer.
  • trav2trav2 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited and am frustrated by the fact that the passenger cannot access most of the GPS while moving. I understand that for the 2008 Toyotas there is no quick access to the override screen without purchasing a modified DVD. What is that modified DVD called? Also, can I get a 2006 DVD for the GPS system, load that DVD, then use one of the screen methods to override the moving issue?
    I was under the impression that you can't "downgrade" your GPS software. So you are probably stuck.You would think an override exists though.
    It is called a Hybrid disk and they are available. Check out Siennaclub.org

There is a lot of info there. We have a hybrid disk for our Sienna and it works!
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Is there a way to disable the prohibition against using the nav in my 2007 Sienna while the car is in motion? It seems reasonable to me that a passenger should be able to use the nav while the car is in motion.
    Would you be interested in selling a copy of the hybrid disk or where did you get yours from? Thanks for the tip on Siennaclub.org. It looks like without re-wiring, the hybrid disk is the simplest solution, so I am looking for a copy of the DVD. Thanks.
    Is there anyway to get the 2008 Toyota Sienna DVD to play on the front screen? I know it works when one is parked with the parking brake on, but is there anyway to bypass this 'safe' mode so the passenger can watch DVDs? :confuse:
    I now have a Hybrid disk and the navigation system works fine, all the features are now accessibile while moving. I did notice then while on 'Override' mode, I cannot switch between DVD and CD while moving. I can switch from CD to DVD, but not the opposite. I have to stop to switch back to CD mode. Also, I can't get the DVD to play up front while moving with 'Override' selected. I have the parking brake signal to the Navigation system grounded so I can watch DVD without the parking brake on, but still no DVD while moving. Have you noticed anything similar?
  • astridm23astridm23 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 2005 toyota sienna xle awd the navegation system, the rear camera, the dvd player nothing works the front screens shows a message Please insert map dvd, but the disc is inside already and i can't take it out. Any suggestions??
    Sounds like the DVD is bad and has locked up the system. Need to get DVD out and get another one installed, either buy from dealer or on e-bay.
  • boulderdonboulderdon Member Posts: 2
    Where can I buy the latest Navigation DVD for my 2004 Sienna? How do I install the new DVD? Is there a way to allow the shotgun passenger to use all navigation functions while moving?
    Thanks
    See http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyota-Prius-Navigation-Gray-out. If your DVD is not the latest version (version 06 and not 07 or later), this override system will work. This override will allow your passenger to access all the GPS functions that are now grayed out when moving. If you GPS DVD is 07 or later, you have to burn a new DVD, put in the start up section from 06 version on top of the 07 or later version to allow this override to work as shown in web page. There are instructions on how to do this on this Forum. Not overly complicated to burn the new DVD, but does take about an hour to complete. I had an 08 Sienna with 08 DVD GPS. The burned DVD works great and allows us complete access to the GPS while moving (for the passenger to access) and still have the latest maps loaded. Good luck!
  • yankeejoyyankeejoy Member Posts: 1
    I doubt there is an over ride. I find it a bit frustrating at times and have to come to a complete stop at a light (actually wishing for a red light at times) so I can put something in. It's a safety feature and probably a good one. My husband has an Acura and doesn't put anything in his NAV until he starts driving. It drives me nuts..
  • dramexpertdramexpert Member Posts: 2
    I have tried Siennaclub.org, and the website has apparently changed orientation. Is there another source for the Hybrid disk? I can burn it myself given instructions and a Version 6 or 7 disk. Thanks for your help. I have a 2009 Sienna.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    It's probably a good idea for the driver not to be distracted by tinkering with the nav while driving, but there's no reason to prevent the passenger from entering the info.
  • adiehl13adiehl13 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2005 Sienna XLE. Thank god I found this website on how to override the lock out/safe mode on the Navi system. How stupid that a passenger can't even enter in an address? I'm even mad that we can't operate the DVD. I have to drive, lean all the back just to push play on the DVD for the kids. How safe is that?! come on people, wise up!
    http://community.myride.com/_Car-Tip-Toyota-and-Lexus-Navigation-Override/blog/1- 2339/3898.html
  • gmva1gmva1 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2009 Sienna w/NAV and rear entertainment system. I was not aware that when the vehicle is in motion many features of the NAV are locked out for both the driver and passenger. While I can understand the legal reasons why this decision was made, I am very unhappy that my wife cannot fully control the NAV system to search for places to eat while we are moving. I hear there are other limitations to the Bluetooth calling capabilities but haven't learned the extent or reasonableness of them.

We agonized over spending the extra money on this option so I am writing to help make buyers aware of this limitation so that they can make an informed decision as to whether it is worth the additional money for the NAV system. I wish I had done a little more research before buying. This limitation certainly seems worth mentioning in the main Edmunds review.
    I could not agree more (and I didn't even buy NAV).

They could use the passenger seat occupant sensors to determine that an adult was sitting there to even turn off that "safety" feature.

Ridiculous.
    We had a Hybrid disk made and we can override the lockout. With the disk all you do is go to menu and click on volume and go to the left side of the screen and click in the upper corner and lower corner 4 times then this screen appears and you hit the override button then you have full control of the navi. We use it mainly on longer trips. It makes the Navigation system so much better than without.

You can check out Siennachat.com for more info.