Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Navigation System

Comments

• gmva1gmva1 Member Posts: 4
    Does the hybrid disk have any drawbacks? Is it older software with flaws that have been fixed? Thanks for the suggestion.
  • s4f4ms4f4m Member Posts: 19
    No issues here.

The only thing that I found is that the NAV DVD reader is VERY finicky. It will reject a disc (even the original NAV) if there is dirt or a slight scratch...and cause the system to be slow and lock up.

My first hybrid started locking up, so I put the original NAV disc back it.
    It must have had a small scratch on it b/c the NAV locked up will it also.
    Luckily in making the hybrid, I copied all the disc's files to my hard drive.

My second hybrid works great.
  • sienna1981sienna1981 Member Posts: 1
    I've burned the updated navigation DVD. How do I install it? Do I swap out the old DVD? If so, where is the old DVD? I mean physically in the car.

Can someone provide step by step instructions?

Thanks!
  • boulderdonboulderdon Member Posts: 2
    The DVD drive is located under the passenger front seat. To replace the DVD disk
    access the DVD drive from the back of the front passenger seat and use a flashlight to get a better view of the DVD drive door.
    There is a small slide on the drive that you can slide to the open position revealing tthe drive eject button. With the ignition key turned to the on position, press the eject button. The DVD drawer will open and you can swap out the disks.
    Good Luck.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    One thing she can do is turn on the restaurant icons so they appear on the map. Then scroll around and touch an icon to find out what it is or to set a destination to it.
  • joefrmtxjoefrmtx Member Posts: 1
    Will you sell a copy of the hybrid disk as the Siennaclub site is no longer valid?
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    I don't know how to make copies but I got mine from a guy by the name of TonyStewart, he is on siennachat. Go check out that site.
  • installermaninstallerman Member Posts: 2
    the newest version is now the v8.1 unitl late this year.the the v9.1 should be out.
  • farticusfarticus Member Posts: 1
    Our Navigation system is showing that we are in Oregon, but we are actually in Las Vegas NV, any help on how to switch it or reset to our actual location? We have a 2007 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited, thanks!
  • trav2trav2 Member Posts: 10
    There is a MAP section for your GPS. You must have Section 1 of the MAP section selected (Or, Wa, Id). You need to switch to Section 2 (Ca, Nv.) Goto DEST on your GPS. You will see a Map of the US, with the upper left section probably highlighted (Or, Wa, Id). Pick Change and switch to US2 for California, Nevada. You have to do these steps everytime you physically move from an area in the US that is not covered by your present Map area. Hope this helps ;)
    Here are the instructions for making your own Hybrid DVD. It took me about an hour and it works great. We override the speed lock out features and my passenger can now access all parts of the NAVI while moving. I tried to swtich the DVD player to the front screen also when moving, but was not successful.

I got all this info off the Sienna Web site about 4 months ago. Good luck!

DVD Override:
    I have received numerous requests for how to make the v06.1 Navi DVD w/ the version 5.1 override capability. You will need to author a Dual Layer DVD+R w/ all the files from your v6.1 NAV DVD & replace the v6.1 loading .kwi w/ the v5.1 loading.kwi in the main directory of the DVD.

I just uploaded the loading.kwi file, and you can find the loading.kwi file here:
    http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=255527

Look for the download button in the mess of all the ads ... sorry needed free file hosing for a 46MB file & this is the best I could do!

once you burn this new "hybrid" DVD, you can do the volume screen service menu procedure to get to the override button!

Good Luck ... this took a few tries to get it right, but I can verify that this procedure DOES Work ... I have been running this "hybrid" dvd now for about a month now on my XLE w/ no problems!!!

DVD Override2: Making the Hybrid 5.1/7.1 NAV DVD

1) I obtained the 5.1 loading.kwi from a link found in this forum.
    2) I downloaded imgburn (freeware)
    3) I put the 7.1 disk in my LG GSA-H55L "Super multi dvd writer" ($49 at Sam's club i think)
    4) Once the dvd mounted, I noted down the volume name (I don't know how important this really is)
    5) I then copied all the files and subdirectories to a folder on my hard drive (I only created this folder to keep the files togeather on my pc. DO NOT change the directory structure when creating your iso)
    6) Next, I copied the 5.1 LOADING.KWI over the 7.1 version

7) I then launched imgburn, and From the dropdown menu "Mode", I selected "Build"
    8) I selected all the original subdirectories and files from the copy on my HD and dropped them into imgburn
    9) Under the "Options" Tab I left the default selection "ISO9660 + UDF" for File System
    10) Under the Label Tab I entered the volume name I wrote down in step 4
    11) I then built the ISO

12) Once the ISO was created, From the Drop Down Menu "Mode", I selected "Write"
    13) I selected the ISO file.
    14) I put a blank Memorex DVD+R DL disc in the drive (Actually made by Rietek)
    15) NOTE: I did not burn at the max speed of the drive. ( I used 2x. 1X may be better)
    16) Clicked Burn and grabbed a beer.

17) About an hour later the burn was complete.
    Loading the Hybrid Disk in My 2008 Sienna

1) I turned on my ignition but did not start the vehicle.
    2) ejected the 7.1 NAV DVD
    3) Inserted the 5.1/7.1 dvd.
    4) Turned off the ignition.
    5) removed the negative cable from the battery fro about 5-10 min
    6) replaced the negative cable.
    7) Turned on my ignition. ( Nav complained a little about reading the new DVD, but loaded anyways.
    8) Volia, The stupid "I agree screen" popped up.

Using the Hybrid DVD

To activate overide:
    1) press menu button
    2) select volume
    3) touch upper left corner
    4) touch lower left corner
    5) touch upper left corner
    6) touch lower left corner
    7) Press and hold the "override" selection for a few seconds. It will remain a blue color
    8) press back and you are ready to roll.

--- Override can be enabled at any time even while moving.
    --- All previous settings remained, except the last screen tilt selection.

Everything worked like it did in 7.1

--- Bluetooth works
    --- Satellite radio works
    --- FM radio Works
    --- DVD player works (not in front without the parking brake engauged. Maybe a hard wire bypas will work now.
    I hope this helps everyone that has been trying to make a hybrid 5.1/7.1 disk

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!
    It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:
    • Read - Read a disc to an image file
    • Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
    • Write - Write an image file to a disc
    • Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
    • Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing
  • stasmatiosvstasmatiosv Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE and am trying to insert my upgrade DVD. However, the original Map DVD doesn't eject.
  • hengelhengel Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2010 Sienna with the nav system (8.1) for less than a week, and every day I drive the car I hate the navigation system more. Should have done more research because I didn't know about the lockout while in motion, and lots of other stuff. I miss my Garmin.

Anyway, is it possible to continually display the audio screen? I just want to turn off the map and have the station identification show up. :mad:
    To answer your second question to get the audio on all the time on the screen, on your front screen go into INFO and SCREEN SETTING and click OFF for automatic screen change from audio to navigation.

To answer your first question, I had the same frustration. I created a hybrid DVD with info from this site that allows me to keep the navigation system on all the time (no gray out) while moving so my passenger can access the navi while in motion. I have a 2009 Sienna. Here is the jest of that hybrid DVD that I downloaded from another user on this web page:

'DVD Override: I have received numerous requests for how to make the v06.1 Navi DVD w/ the version 5.1 override capability. You will need to author a Dual Layer DVD+R w/ all the files from your v6.1 NAV DVD & replace the v6.1 loading .kwi w/ the v5.1 loading.kwi in the main directory of the DVD."

With the change in the loading.kwi file, you can now override the in motion lockout of your navi system. It works great!
  • less3less3 Member Posts: 1
    A relative tinkered with the navigation system on the 09 Sienna before I got to use it. I changed the system back to the appropriate geographic area, but the device wants to take me home via freeways/major highways rather than by a quick route. Somehow the only option that comes up as I punch routes is the one enabling various items (i.e., ferries), and there seems to be no way to get to an option that designates "quick." Has anyone a clue about how to get to the appropriate screen? The map gives the ferry/freeway etc. options only.
  • jmt27jmt27 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone clarify how to override navigation for 2007 Sienna Limited AWD. Is the software update the only way? Thanks.
  • adiehl13adiehl13 Member Posts: 28
    Are you trying to override the motion lock out? There was a website on how to do this. It works on my 2005, but not sure on the newer models. You go to the menu and to the screen where you control the volume (you see on the screen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ). This sounds crazy but it works: you touch the top left hand corner of the screen, the bottom left corner of the screen, and repeat until you see this hidden menu come up. Then you hold down the "override" button until it beeps. you can then press "go back" and now you can work the navigation system while you're driving (or your passenger can).

Now, I'd just like to find this solution for the DVD. It's crazy one of us can't work the DVD controls while the car is in motion. IT causes one of us to have to lean all the way back to try to see the screen and figure out how to get to the next show etc. Really STUPID. Have the owners sign a waiver or do what HERTZ does. Press the "I agree" button at the beginning that says you won't operate while driving.
  • jmt27jmt27 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I heard that there was a way to override the motion lock out. I tried going to Menu screen and touching the upper left, lower left as mentioned in a few threads, but it didn't work. Possibly because we have a newer model.

Would you happen to know how to get the DVD player to play on the NAV screen while the car is in PARK?

Thanks for your input.
  • superkelsuperkel Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad to hear that there is something that can be done to fix this frustrating issue with the Navi. I too just purchased my 2010 Sienna 2 weeks ago and not happy that my passenger cannot put in our destination while I am driving. I read the post on creating that hybrid disk. I went out and purchased the dual layer disk trying make that one . The problem is ... I am not savy with it with all the codes. Can someone walk me through the process of creating the hybrid disk? I would really appreciate it.
  • navbrokennavbroken Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a few years old but I have the same issue today. Where nav system works but the unit shows me being somewhere completely different from where I currently am at. has anyone had this issue fixed yet? If so what was the cure? The dealer says i need to buy the latest Map and it will fix it....But honestly I can tell just from the conversation they aren't really confident about that....it seems so one told them and they are 100% sure it will work or they are just outright guessing.

I just am looking for verification on the solution and I am open to any other remedies.

thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Do all models with Nav also have the backup cam?

Do they add trajectory lines?
    This could mean that it's not getting a GPS signal. Did you have any work done, add a satellite radio tuner, etc before you noticed this? If so, it could simply be that the GPS antenna is unplugged.

Another thing to look at is the compass symbol in upper left corner. Just under that, there should be a "GPS" icon. If the icon has disappeared, it means it is not getting GPS reception. (No reception is normal in a parking garage or tunnel but it should never disappear out in the open road.)
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Toyota just released V9.1 today for $199. I bought one 3 years ago for $265.

The part numbers for the Siennas are:

86271-GEN23-09 2003-2004
    86271-GEN04-09 2005
    86271-GEN05-09 2006-2010
    86271-GEN06-09 2011
  • mal168mal168 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Sienna Limited AWD. Due to the lock up of the navigation system while in motion, I have burned a hybrid navigation disc with 5.1 loading.kwi & Version 8.1 data. However, I was unable to get to the override screen as mentioned in this forum. Could someone clarify here whether the hybrid disc is good for 2009 Sienna?

Thanks!

Mal168
  • dramexpertdramexpert Member Posts: 2
    I followed the instructions in Message #160, and the hybrid disk I made does work fine in my 2009 Sienna. You have to press the "I Agree" button and the motion lock-out has to be disabled every time you start the van, but then all functions are available.
    Hi dramexpert,

Thanks for your reply. I also followed Trav2's instruction to create the hybrid disk. However, there is no response in the screen after numerous attempts. The hybrid disk just works as my original V8.1 Navigation disk. I don't know which parts went wrong.

Mal168
    After further research & investigation, my problem was eventually resolved by clearing out the memory in the navigation system. As my Sienna is a newer model, it is still utilizing the current loading.kwi due to the memory in the navigation system even I have replaced the hybrid disc with older version of loading.kwi. We have to clear out the memory by removing the power from the navigation system either disconnecting the negative cable of the battery or the Radio fuse from the main fuse box for a while. Once power is reconnect, it will reload the older firmware version of loading.kwi from the hybrid disk. I realize some of us, who have newer Sienna, have encountered the same problem, and I would like to share with you my experience. I can now override the nav system any time for my 2009 Sienna Limited AWD.
    Thanks for documenting this fix.
    In order to get the DVD to play on the Navi, the emergency brake has to be on. I do not know at this time how to override this without having a mechanic rewire everything to trick the car into thinking the emergency brake is on. This is also another one of my chief complaints. AT least let the passenger work all the controls for the kids movies on trips etc. Hrmmmmph.
  • lucabeanlucabean Member Posts: 1
    i need an updated navagation disk for my 2006 toyota sienna.the one that came with my car was outdated when i purchased it. thanks r.livingston
  • bindcbindc Member Posts: 3
    We bought our used 2006 Sienna last year and for some stupid reason we didn't get the extended warranty on the navigation system. It is now kaputt and we are told it will cost $2500 (not including labor) to replace it.

We don't care so much about the nav system b/c we have a Garmin (which as a MUCH better interface) but we can't use the radio or play CDs or see anything in the rear view camera. We're told that we can't have a regular CD player installed because of the wiring and harnesses to hold the nav system.

Anyone else have to replace their nav system? What did you do? Did you shell out the dough for a brand-spanking new one or are there other options? We just want to be able to listen to the radio and play some CDs.
    A while ago I priced a system from the Solara, which is newer, and it was $1600 or so, something like that. You can get a better price.

The Venza also has a newer Navi system, so try to find out if that's compatible.

Spend less and get a better system installed. Or just have a stereo shop put in a double-DIN stereo with a faceplate adaptor and use your Garmin.
  • jcm123jcm123 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Lock pic from http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm
    It worked as advertised but didn't work far up north due to a weak GPS signal.
    It overroad everything with a simple push of the on - off button and all features were available as if I was parked. I do recommend it.
    Wow- this is exactly what I've been hoping for. How does it work? I'm assuming it's just a CD that you insert? Do you do it once and then it's fixed, or do you leave it in?

We have a 2005 Sienna- it doesn't have a disc changer- just 1 CD.
    One more question- you mentioned the Navi but not the DVD? I'm assuming that it allows you watch/program the DVD as well? thanks. Amy
    Thanks. We're looking into our options. I just think $2500 is outrageous.
    >

I don't know if anyone has given you an answer but in order for you to watch the DVD player to play on the nav screen, you have to engage your emergency brake.
  • nboernernboerner Member Posts: 8
    I just got my 2010 Sienna and I am not sure how to get the nav to display turn by turn directions. The manual shows and icon like a pie with a piece highlighted and the other half a few rectangular bars but that icon does not appear when i am using the nav, does it only come up on certain occasions and what would they be. Also, It seems sometimes when I am driving I get the telephone dialer to work (the keypad) I thought it was suppose to deactivate when driving. Does it work at low speeds or when you have your foot on the brake but are still in drive? I know I have dialed while driving.
  • davemcdonald4davemcdonald4 Member Posts: 6
    Is the Nav system on a 2010 Sienna XLE better (more accurate) than a Garmin Nuvi?
  • nboernernboerner Member Posts: 8
    so far i have to say the nuvi is better. it gives you street names where the toyota doesn't except for freeways. The newer nuvi has a mode to show buildings and the toyota doesn't. I also find the nuvi to be a lot more user friendly. the toyota does a lot of strange split screen things automatically. maybe i will change my mind after using the toyota more.
    I agree, but built-in systems do have dead-reckoning, so if you enter a tunnel it doesn't complain about a lost signal like a Garmin will.
  • macvanmacvan Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Toyota nav system recently started giving me the wrong directions, or would tell me I was somewhere I was not (like in the middle of the ocean). Toyota dealer doesn't know what to do. Is there a reset? Would it work to disconnect battery?

Also, not clear on the best way to get the system to override the lock (to enter direction when driving)?

Thanks
  • abell5abell5 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my sienna a few months ago and when i bought it the navigation worked just fine. Then about a week ago I went to use the navigation it kept saying "please insert the DVD disc" or something about a DVD disc. The radio works and the CD player works just fine. The dealership says that an update DVD for it is available but that the old software should still work. I am puzzled about why it will not work. Any ideas?
  • klaudiadangklaudiadang Member Posts: 2
    Hi my toyota sienna navigation system, along with rear cam, DVD, STereo clonked out, does anyone have any suggestions?
  • klaudiadangklaudiadang Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to mine. Did you replace yours?
    It will show turn-by-turn directions automatically after you enter a destination. Or do you mean you want to see the turn list? If so, you can press the button on the bottom left side of the screen (just above the zoom-in button) then select "Turn List". If you can't see your current position (pie-like icon) press the Map button.

Yes, you can dial when going very low speeds. Once you speed up, you'll see the keyboard become disabled.
  • crawdaddy2666crawdaddy2666 Member Posts: 1
    My navigation system in my 2006 Toyota Sienna has the same issue. We took it to Toyota and were told it would cost $3000.00 to have it looked at. To have a new navigation system installed would be $5000.00.

Just curious, did you recently replace your battery? Someone else said they had the same issue when they replaced their battery. I think that is when my system started to act up as well.

I wonder how many others are having navigation system issues?????
    Check to make sure there is a "gps" icon just below the compass icon in the upper left corner. If not that means you are not getting a gps signal. The antenna connection could have worked itself loose and might simply needed to be plugged back in securely.
  • gregh2gregh2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Sienna with an OEM NAV system. I would like to have one that is equipped with the traffic update capabilities. Is there an After Market solution for this? Do the newer Sienna’s NAV systems have that capability?

Thanks, GregH2
    Well, that's the problem with embedded systems. Techology improves and they sort of stay still. Even getting map updates can be hard/costly.

If you do go aftmarket, consider a Kenwood. They use Garmin Navi and the updates are very frequeunt. Just to give you an idea, they are on v2010.20 right now, 20 updates just for the current year.