Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Navigation System

Comments

• robocatrobocat Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the Air Force and plan on taking my 2004 Sienna to Germany this summer. Is there any way to update the navigation system with maps of Europe? I've read a couple of websites and get the impression that the made for the USA system is incompatible with the made for Europe system. Am I correct about this? Are updates with European maps available for my Sienna? :confuse:
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    That's correct. It's not possible. You'd have to swap out the entire nav unit.
  • rockinrobin26rockinrobin26 Member Posts: 1
    My GPS is suddenly not working. The GPS indicator at the top left part of the screen is missing. I have manually reset the nav system MANY times and it is still not right. I own a 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD. Any suggestions? I will be calling the dealer on Monday to see if this is something they can help with. I have had trouble with the run flat tires and have already had to replace them (at a RIDICULOUS cost!). I am no longer a Toyota fan and this is just one more reason to support my claim!!
  • krohrer6krohrer6 Member Posts: 1
    Mine has not worked since Feb. Got all 4 new tires, reset and re-calibrated but it would only last about 5 miles before I was off track again. Took it to the dealer - there is a technical service bulletin that they have access to indicating that they need to order a replacement part or disc to fix the problem. Would have been nice if Toyota notified people of the problem rather than waiting for them to complain.
  • smedley2smedley2 Member Posts: 2
    purchased a 2006 van with GPS in June 06. Have used garmin products, use Lexus, Audi, Cadillac to name a few - was so sad that a vehicle listing over $40K had such a poor GPS - local streets not there - missing interstate and Pa Tkpe exits, etc. Checked with dealer and was told had latest disk - 5.2 Less than 9 months later they want $305.00 for an update. Wonder if I can return it if it is as poor as original. Should have a free up-date for some period after purchasing new vehicle - did appreciate posting indicating latest part number.
  • cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
    i am starting to get familiar with the nav. system. so far, i am really happy with it. no missing streets, exits, etc.

the feature i like the best is you can search based on phone number and poi name. I have used laptop gps such as delorme and ms streets and maps (pharos system) .. the toyota one is definitely easier and more user friendly.

i bought my sienna last month ...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's hard to say if it would be worth it. Maybe see if a new 2008 model in the dealer has those maps, and if you can find a street that's missing on yours?

With my Garmin, I found the CitySelect v8 maps MUCH better than version 6, and it was easily worth upgrading. Of course that's $85 in Garmin's case.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Go to your local Toyota dealer and ask them to refer to EL012-06. They can easily fix your technical issue regarding the missing GPS icon.
    Go to your local Toyota dealership and have them refer to EL012-06. This will fix the issue to resolve the navigation positioning being inaccurate.
  • mrademrade Member Posts: 2
    my 2004 sienna gps system is accurate as to location, but all of a sudden the routes that it chooses are all local sidestreets. I know it is a change because it happens on familiar routes that I've taken before. For instance, in traveling on a major interstate between 2 states ( I-95 for instance) the navi will guide me off the road onto side streets, whether I choose "quick" or "short" for the route preference. Is this a known problem? It will get me to the location.
    You must have the highway avoidance enabled. That's what it's called on my Garmin, at least.

Avoidances include highways, toll roads, U-turns, etc. When on, the GPS will avoid each of those.

That's gotta be it.
  • mrmyselfmrmyself Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited, and have never upgraded the GPS software. What are the benefits and cost of upgrading the GPS software? Also, does this have to be purchased from the dealer, or are there other options?
  • mn49mn49 Member Posts: 2
    How do you play a DVD movie on the front navigation screen? I know this is possible, it has started to play a few times when I first get in and start the car.
  • theooutbacktheooutback Member Posts: 19
    I just picked up my 2008 XLE with Nav at a dealership in Maryland. I llive up in MA and found the best price on an 2008 down there, so I did the drive down in 2004 Sienna with my new Garmin 760 (use it in my Subaru Outback). The Garmin picked the normal route down I-95. It has done a great job with picking routes that make a lot of sense. When I picked up the 2008 XLE, I used its Nav system to guide me home - expecting to take me on an obvious route. I've sat through the LONG series of videos on the Toyota website on the Sienna Nav system and checked what was selected on the allow list (interstate, toll roads, etc.) It - again and again - picked strange routes. I got on I-95, but it kept telling me to get off on side interstates - through NYC - there is only one really good route - I-95 - it wanted to take me off to the west on Central Park Ave over to I-87 and then back to CT-15 - back onto I-95 for a little bit - then onto another side road instead of I-91 north (again the only 65 MPH straight route available and a no brainer). I left the guidance on to see if it would eventually correct - again and again it kept trying to pull me off 95 and 91. I turned on the Garmin around NYC to see what it suggested - 95 N to 91 N to home.

I just couldn't believe that the Toyota Nav system would get it so wrong. I sat in the van tonight (playing with various new functions) and did the route preview for the 3 offered routes. I thought perhaps I'd just selected the wrong route (although it was the one the Nav system identified as the quickest). The preview function itself was great! But it again went through all sorts of side highways and other interstates instead of just I-95 to I-91. It actually suggested that a series of side roads (off to the west of the interstate) was the faster option than the 65 MPH interstate in one option. Scratched my head again - and even though interstates were in the mix, checked to make sure that they were allowed in the options.

SO - what the HECK is going on with Toyota Nav??? Is there some sort of additional preference screen that could remedy this? This unit would get you there but it's going to take one out of the way and on slower roads with lots more turns and complexity and through town traffic. I just can't believe this system is so much worse than a $799 Garmin add-on.

Please help if you've worked through this issue to a solution. :confuse: :cry:
    Are you in park with the brake on? I just did it playing with a new XLE and it was just a matter of hitting display (I think - one of the buttons, I tried a few but it only took 30 seconds or so of experimentation) with it in park with the brake on.
    Are you sure, the allow-freeways and toll roads preferences were on? Was it taking other freeways or always trying to avoid any kind of freeway? Give me a start & end location and I'll try to punch in the route in a Camry.
    The benefits are updated maps & POI information. If you're in a growing area, the changes could be significant.

I don't know of any other purchase options except the dealer.
    Yes - as I said, it used all sorts of interstates - it just kept trying to pull me off the obvious routes. As I noted - I've check and re-checked that allow freeways, toll-roads, etc. was on. I went through the route again at home - checking everything again - used the preview feature to try all three suggested routes as noted.

Try a starting point of 1000 H street, NW in Washington, DC and a destination of 100 Piper road in West Springfield, Ma. The Garmin route - and the one that would make sense would be 50 out of DC to 95 and then 95 all the way to 91 and then exit in West Springfield. The closest the Sienna system got was 95 and 91 for part of it but still pull one off on to I-87 around NYC and then took you off 95 around Baltimore - off and on and off and on if I recall the preview correctly. I wonder if the Camry system logic will be better - let us know.
    Sorry for not replying sooner. That's a long route and I'm not familiar with it so it's kind of hard for me to tell if I'm getting a different route or not. I went to the turn-list screen and, ignoring all the short-distance segments, this is what it is trying to do in the Camry (map version 5.1).
    I-295 for 31 miles, I-895 for 13 miles, I-95 for 56 miles, I-295 for 5 miles, US-40/NJ TPKE for 73 miles, I-95 for 113 miles, CT-15 for 21 miles, I-91 for 44 miles.
    The main difference that I see between this and Google maps is that that Google stays on the interstate through New Haven while the Camry takes Hwy 15.
  • lconeylconey Member Posts: 6
    I was told there is an override process used for the navigation system to allow usage while the car is in motion. Can someone please give me the process and maybe post a picture or some visual instruction? There has to be a way to get around this stoping/parking restriction and not allowing a passenger to input information or do searches.
    2006 Toyota Sienna Ltd. - Do you have instructions as to how to find the override on the GPS System to enable the passenger to make changes while driving?

If you can help it would be much appreciated.
  • fangsf15fangsf15 Member Posts: 4
    On our 2005 LandCruiser, you go to the Menu Hard Button, then select Volume Menu (not the radio volume) , and hit two spots on the screen that don't actually have any buttons. Three total presses, starting (i think) with the upper left corner, then lower left corner, then upper left corner again. That brings up a service menu; the item you want is labeled "override". Press and hold this, and voila! You can now access pretty much any menu item on the go, with the exception of manual dialing the cell phone from the nav screen.

Hope this helps.
    It worked... I can't thank you enough.
    Thank you === thank you. It Worked! I sent another message, but since I am new at this I am not sure that it went to the right place. Thanks again.
  • fangsf15fangsf15 Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad to be of help for once. lol.

I understand the legal reasons why they did this, but I would think it would be pretty easy to link the ability to do this with the 'Passenger Seat Belt' light that already exists. This, and perhaps a modification to the 'I Agree' screen, should limit thier liability. The sad thing is that ALL the aftermarket GPS systems let you search on the fly.
    My Garmin does, however you have to turn on the safety mode. You only have to do that once, though.

I agree with the seatbelt idea. The sensor is there, use it!
  • siennatoyotasiennatoyota Member Posts: 1
    hello
    Great site and thx everyone to write
    I have 2004 Sienna Limited. As you know, I have the navigation system with ver 3.1
    Anyone know which upgrade version is work for mine??? 2006 or 2007??? ver 6.0??? thx for reply
  • gpsjunkiegpsjunkie Member Posts: 15
    I too have a 2004 Sienna XLE(not limited) and I have noticed a lot of navigation upgrade disks on Ebay. The problem is what version of navigation system is installed in the 2004 model? Is it Gen. 2 or 3 or Gen. 4? Also does anyone know the disk number for say the 6.1 upgrade disk? The number looks something like: 42XXX-0990. It would be nice to be able to pick up someone else's older update for the 2004 Sienna and live only a couple of years behind in map data. I've called the dealer and he gave me a long part number which has no significance outside the Toyota parts department. Thanks.
  • mrademrade Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 XLE Limited with Navi. I noticed several posts giving info on how to change the Navi feature which disables the system while the car is in motion. Does anyone know any tricks that would work on the 2004 system? Anything I can do to bypass the system so that it can be used (by my passenger!) when the car is in motion? I believe the previous posts were for the later Navi versions.
    2004 SIENNA GEN 3

The part number on the disc should be 86271-3303X. The higher the last digit (X) the newer the version.
    Thanks. I'll try that number and see what damage I can do.
    You can override the system in a limited way (just the navigation controls, the radio info button for example will still not show anything until you stop).
    To override the navigation safety, follow these steps:

1. Make sure you're not moving. The best time to do this is after you've started the car.
    2. Push Menu.
    3. You will see a button in the upper right of the touchscreen called DVD, press it.
    4. In the DVD window, press in rapid succession upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left, lower right. It may take several tries.
    5. You will see a new screen, press and hold override until it beeps and turns green.
    6. You're set.

Note: If you are in a situation where you want to override and you have an opportunity to stop at say a stop sign, hit menu button and as you roll to a stop hit the DVD button and then give it gas and go. The sequence of button pushing will work even when you're moving, the trick is getting to the DVD button.
  • hudson125hudson125 Member Posts: 3
    I too have the 2004 Sienna and am looking for the upgrade from the 3.1
    Did this part number work?
    Yes and no. I know what to look for now, but sadly, none are for sale on Ebay beyond a 3.1.
  • linsand60linsand60 Member Posts: 5
    I have a big problem and am hoping that someone can give me advice. I have an 2004 Sienna xle the sound does not work on the radio the screen comes up and states that the nav system is not hooked up when you press the nav button and the dvd player does not work. for a wile when I hit a bump in the road things would start to work. Now nothing. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was the main computer in the back of the van behind the sub woffer. I took the back apart to see what they were talking about and just was more confisued. anything would be a great help! Thanks in advance!!!
    The dealer may be right, but if you're not under any extended warranty, you might try pulling the screen unit out and checking to see if all your cables are seated properly. The head unit comes out pretty easily if you pull up the two plastic trim pieces on either side. Something plastic that allows you to hook the edge and pull up from the top will make it easier. Be gentle. Once the two trim pieces are removed you'll see 4 screws holding the head unit into the dashboard. Remove the screws and pull the head unit up slowly and push on all connectors (there are a few). Before you screw everything back, you can turn on power and check to see if anything has changed. I've never messed with the main computer, so I'm no help there, but it definitely sounds like a loose cable somewhere.
    Yes, I finally found that number and the disk worked!! Now I'm only two years behind.
    Thank you for the advice. Could you tell me where the main computer is located? That would be a big help also. Thanks
    Could anyone tell me if you can have the main computer for the nav system repaired if not is their any place you can recommend to purchase a used system?

Thanks in advance!!
    I am looking for the location of the main computer for the radio and the nav system. Thanks in advance.
  • holleholle Member Posts: 10
    does this work in making the dvd controls accessable while driving too? (being able to view the dvd controls on the front screen while in motion?).

if this doesn't work..does anyone know an override way to allow the dvd controls to appear on the front screen w/out having to be stopped and with the parking brake on?
    I have a new 08 model, not sure if these override's have been elminated on the 08's or not.

thanks!
    I think the main computer located under the pass seat is not working It is a 2004 JBL system I was quoted 2,000.00 to purchase a new one from the dealer. That is too much! Is thier a place where I can have this unit repaired or another place where I can purchase a new one for less? Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    The short answer is no, dvd controls are not available when driving. However, there are overrides available(were available, I haven't checked in a long while). They used to cost about $70-80 and attached to the system. It should be understood that most states have laws about dvds, tvs, even laptops being used in the front seat while the vehicle is moving. What sucks about the law is that it covers even a passenger in the front seat, which can be really stupid. Almost as stupid as locking out the information like hotel or restaurant phone numbers on the navigation system when there is a passenger sitting in the seat activating the sensor for the seat belt indicator if they're not wearing a seatbelt, but somehow that doesn't translate to a non-driving person being able to work the navigation controls. Yikes, don't get me started!!
  • holleholle Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the response.
    I just don't understand why the sienna doesn't have controls on the dash somewhere to control the dvd. (play/stop/forward..etc). it's only on the touch screen and can only be seen when the parking brake is on. using the remote (facing towards the back) is just awkward and a dumb design. i might be missing something since i just bought this van last week,..but i don't even see a volume control on the remote.
    i understand not being able to watch the tv while in motion (obviously saftey and against the law)..but not being able to even control the dvd when in motion is silly to me.

again..thanks for the response. i guess i'll just have to get use to using the remote and stretching my arm back there to change out the dvd's while in motion or at a stop sign. (yeah,..THAT'S not dangerous). ha!
  • qjessaniqjessani Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I took delivery @10 days back of new Sienna XLE AWD. I had purchase XLE with Navigation and Dvd package. Reading the manuals and playing with all th e features, I finally realized that instead of giving me XLE with the DVD package theat includes rear seat entertainment (as my lease states), my dealer found me an XLE and installed DVD at the dealership. This has resulted me not getting the features like controlling the DVD on the touch screen since this DVD player is not an 'integrated' one from the factory. Similarly, my 'ipod ready' features (included with the DVD package) can only up & down tracks but wont list my folders (playlists, Albums etc.)etc. I am in Canada ...please advice what options I have. Thanks.
  • haysusanhaysusan Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to transfer the contacts from my Palm Centro phone to the Navigation System phone book. The transfer worked, however the data is in alpha order by first name where on Outlook and in the phone it is by last name, the group info was not received, and only the area code of the phone number was received.

What do I need to do to correct this?
  • steveko23steveko23 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of my new 2008 XLE Sienna so I thought to try out the navigation system on the drive home. It was working until I got close to my home and I decided to turn right onto a street just prior to the street it was going to tell me to turn on which would intersect with the street my house is off of. I wanted to test how well it updated itself. It was complete and utter fail! It did not update itself. For some reason it did not understand the road. I could see the road on the map, it had the road list at "Lytle 5 Points" and I could see myself driving on it, but it would not update the map. Later that evening I went to Kroger and again went off route and took Lytle 5 Points and again the navigation did not correct itself until I got off that road. It's like it knows the road exists because I see it in the map, but doesn't know how to handle it in the system. This is a pretty main road that has been around for a minimum of 20 years.

And then last night I tried the navigation somemore to navigate me home and I went off route again using a backroad...but a backroad that it a pretty main road that has been around for a minimum of 20 years and again I could see me driving on the road and it knew the name of the road, but it would not update the navigation. This time I tried to reset it by attempting to start my navigation from where I was. So I stopped the car and retold it I wanted to go home overriding my previous destination. Now it gave me a light blue line and told me to follow that until the darker blue line started where the navigation would start. Following the lighter blue line directed me the correct route and then about halfway down my street the darker blue line took over. I don't understand 1. how the navigation can start working in the middle of a neighborhood street (and actually it started working on the newer half of the street (within the past 10 years new as opposed to 10-20 years old) and 2. why the navigation couldn't start when the light blue line was able to direct me to where the navigation could start.

Please help.

Steve
    You are in a non-detailed area. If the roads are a mustard color they have not confirmed the roads for turn-by-turn guidance... consequently no-turn-by turn voice prompts. It will simply provide a highlight line for a suggested route.

Once the roads are black, blueish/aqua, or maroon it will provide turn-by-turn guidance.

Call Toyota at 800 331 4331 and give them the area that is not detailed. They will inform the map suppliers in order to have them verify the area for safe guidance.
    You require a GEN3 udpate DVD map disc for our 2004 Sienna, or Toyota part number 00110-GEN23-07 - Version 7.1.

Call around for the best pricing since they dealerships are free to establish their own pricing.
    The navigation ECU is located under the passenger seat. Just slide the seat forward, remove the plastic splash guard and confirm the the connections at the rear of the component. If they are secure and undamaged, you might have to look behind the radio for any intermittent connections.