Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Tires & Wheels

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Wow. What if we plead for a few pictures? I've been thinking of a similar conversion and would like to see other ideas that are out there. The Geo ATS is a great tire...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• catharinescatharines Member Posts: 1
    8 sets of tires in 85,000 miles. Always running bald on the inside from driving with only 5 PSI. Guess what the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) light would never come on. I have spent more money Quarters and tires. Now I run around with regular tires( not run flat) a AAA card plus a can of fix a flat. The marriage between Toyota and Dunlop is not a very good one, now the public has to pay. Toyota has only greed, not safety in mind. And to think that they use to be a great company. Well just look at all the recalls for Japanese and Chinese company products. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I SAY. Sorry so many people are effected. And what do they say- Buyer be aware.
  • 06sienna_mass06sienna_mass Member Posts: 3
    Is Dunlop a Japanese or Chinese company? It is really unbelievable that such a garbage is still on market. I hope Toyota will someday recall their Siennas for their tires, not only brakes and gas pads. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think Goodyear owns 75%.
  • trsv48trsv48 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2000 Sienna with the tow package. My questions are:
    * Does the Sienna normally come with a full sized spare tire or a bicycle tire?
    * The manual says to access the tire lowering mechanism from the back of the van. The carpet appears to be very securely fastened. Does it in fact get pulled up to access the tire lowering mechanism?
    * My Low Tire Pressure indicator light is keeps coming on yet the mounted tires are fine. Would a low spare cause this problem?

Thank you for any insights you can give
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    If you look under the van at the rear you should see a full-sized spare. Also, in the carpet, near the back edge, there should be a small "U" shaped flap. Lift that up and you will see a nut the same size as the wheel lug nuts. Simply use the car's lug wrench to drop the spare down. Bring the spare up the same way.
  • moevtmoevt Member Posts: 4
    Regarding your low tire pressure light, is it possible your sensors are not installed? Or, are your sensors not programmed?

My light is on also (2010 Sienna AWD) but that is because I am using winter rims & snow tires and even though I bought additional sensors, I didn't realize they had to be programmed at the dealership every time I switched tires (2x per year in Vermont at the cost of $75 each time). Due to the cost, I am just "living with" the light being on all winter.

If you just purchased the car, was the light on when you bought the car?
    That little U is what i was looking for. Thanks!
    I don't believe that the 2000 Sienna (which I think is similar to my 1998) uses sensors like the newer Siennas do. My 2008 Avalon has the new system and the spare tire is included. With the new ones the valve stem is the sensor and transmits to a computer. With the older cars you don't have to program the wheels. I've heard that the car senses the RPM of the wheels; a flatter wheel has a smaller diameter. This means that your spare tire's pressure would not be detected by the car. Make sure when you adjust your air pressure you set the sensor by pushing the reset button and letting the tire indicator light blink 3 times.
    The TPMS with the sensors in the wheels was added for model year 2007 Siennas.

For a couple of years before that I think they used the ABS-style TPMS, i.e. they measured wheel speeds to see if there was a variance in pressure.

In 2007 each wheel got an actual sensor.

That should mean no issues with wheel swaps 2006 and prior.
    as a last resort i read the manual. The previous owner had just put new tires on and on the 2000 there is a manual reset button that needs to be pressed and held until the idiot light blinks 3 times. After doing this all is well.
    You reset with that button every time you put air in the tires.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    has anyone tried to put a full size spare in that well where the spare sits?? looks like diameter wise it would fit but would protrude below the bottom of the car by another inch to two inches, does that matter?
    I've only seen people put full-size spares inside, in the cargo well.

If they did that, it's probably because it didn't fit under the car.
    On my '98 Sienna I've always put a full sized spare under the car where it belongs and it's never been a problem.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    edited March 2010
    Cptplt, yes, you and Tfelton are correct; the opening is wide enough for a full-size tire and it does protrude down a little.

I believe the newer Chrysler minivans with Sto-n-Go are different. For sure, on the new 5th gen T&C, the spare is located under the front of the van between the front seats and it is a baby spare, even for those with the towing package. In that case, the full-size tire just removed from the vehicle would not fit back in the opening and, as Ateixeira says, will need to be stowed somewhere else.

Also, be sure to note the orientation of the spare tire as you are lowering it out of the opening in the rear. Life will be easier if you remember it when cranking the tire back up. IIRC, the fancy side of the wheel seen publicly faces up. Tighten it snug, but don't over do it.

One final thought. It's a good idea to exercise the spare tire cable once every year or two and lower it enough so you can spray some lubricant on it. There have been incidents where the spare tire would fall out after the cable broke due to corrosion. I'd recommend performing this little task now while, at the same time, practicing what needs to be done in case of a flat tire on this vehicle. All the best. -Ken
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    Hi - considering the AWD 2011 Sienna and wanted to know - are runflat tires still an issue? How expensive would it be to replace them for snow tires?
    Would AWD suffice or do I need snow tires for buffalo NY?
  • nananomnananom Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone gone a size bigger in 2004 sienna tires (ie.235/60/17) ? What were the results in terms of ride quality and handling? All inputs would be very much appreciated. I'm seriously thinking of doing this. BTW,the 2011 sienna comes in that size.
    I'm looking and the 2010 models were available with slightly smaller 225/60R17 tires.

If you up-size I'd get those, since your 2004 is similar to the 2010.
  • albrockalbrock Member Posts: 1
    Looks like that spare tire has been problematic. My wife had a spare tire wobble issue and then discovered her rusted wire, which made it difficult to reset tire firmly, per mechanic:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i3CZPJXvtZZ46SY9bcMupivluKswD9- F4M7TG4

Toyota recalls 600,000 Sienna minivans
    By KEN THOMAS (AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — As congressional investigators dig further into potential electronic problems in runaway Toyotas, the automaker is facing other safety concerns, recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans over rusting spare tire holders.

The recall Friday came as House investigators said they would hold another hearing in May to review possible electronic problems in runaway Toyotas. The Japanese automaker has recalled more than 8 million vehicles because of faulty accelerator pedals, humbling a car company long known for its quality and safety.

Company leaders vowed to respond quickly to the safety concerns.

Separately, Toyota said its engineers in Japan had duplicated the same results of tests that led Consumer Reports to issue a rare "don't buy" warning on the 2010 Lexus GX 460 over rollover concerns. Toyota responded by halting sales of new GX 460s and conducting tests on all of its SUVs.

Lexus spokesman Bill Kwong said the company was evaluating potential remedies for the GX 460 but it was "too early to speculate (on) the details of the remedy and its timing."

Toyota said its latest recall covered the 1998-2010 model year Siennas with two-wheel-drive that have been sold or registered in 20 cold-climate states and the District of Columbia. Toyota said rust from road salt could cause the carrier cable that holds the spare tire to rust and break, allowing the tire to tumble into the road. The problem could threaten the safety of other drivers.

Toyota said it was unaware of any accidents or injuries. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it received six complaints of spare tires falling off Siennas.

The company said it was working on a fix. In the meantime, customers will receive a notice telling them to bring their vehicle to a dealership for an inspection.

The recall involves Siennas in the District of Columbia and the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Steve St. Angelo, Toyota's chief quality officer for North America, said the company was providing free inspections of the spare tire carrier cable across the nation, including states not included in the recall. Owners can call (800) 331-4331 for more information.
    Guess I'll be getting one of those letters.

I should check to see if there's any rust on mine. MD uses plenty of salt, unfortunately.
  • blschooseblschoose Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Sienna Limited 60,000 miles with bubbling alloy wheels. Have contacted local Toyota dealer "not covered since 3/36 warranty is over". "Not covered under extended warranty". Called Toyota's 800 number, and spoke to manager who is giving me the same "not covered since 3/36 warranty is over". Any suggestions as to who to contact next?

Thought this would be a no-brainer and fixed without any issues. Having previously owned a Toyota Camry, and currently owning 2 Lexus ES sedans, I am extremely disappointed with Toyota Motor Corp.
  • visco2visco2 Member Posts: 5
    blschoose:

Suggest you go to http://www.nuckleslaw.com/software-negotiations-expert/toyota-alloy-wheels-bubbl- ing-toyota-quality-concerns/

Someone started an independent posting at this site with pictures for people with bubbling rims. There are over 50 postings of problems with Toyota rims bubbling. Only one or two has Toyota stepped up and made an attempt to resolve.

In my own case, I was well within warranty (2005 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD) when I discovered it and brought it to the dealer and subsequently Toyota's attention in 2006, so warranty means nothing to Toyota. All they did was offer me two "free" rims if I paid over $900 for the other two. You'll find at the posting above that others that had rims replaced had the same problems with replacements, and it includes Lexus. I ended up paying $500 to have all four rims refinished. I have had no problems with the refinished rims. They have gone through a winter, less cleaning than we performed when new, and hold up to rim cleaning products when we do wash the van so the problem is with the Toyota materials or process.
    They only cover corrosion if it rusts all the way through, a rule meant for sheet metal panels but one that applies here as well.
  • wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    2006 LE AWD after 1 year and 18,000 miles runflat tires were woreout. Went to dealer in 2007 concerning tires and paint coming off the wheels. 3 months passed before the rep came to town and I needed to buy new tires before he came to town. Saw the rep about tires which I replaced and wheels that looked bad. The rep has the wheels refinished and tells me Toyota will replace the tires when these new tires are woreout. NOW 3 years later Toyota DID replace the tires like they promised. Had my doubts for awhile but they did what they said they would do.
    Glad to hear it.

Also, thanks for reporting that update.
  • ljames50ljames50 Member Posts: 1
    You are more fortunate than I am. I have a 2008 Sienna LTD with OEM Bridgestones. Treadwear at under 15K indicated replacement. I have not replaced them and will continue to ride on them (if I don't need to travel) until the wires are exposed. This is because from everything I've read, Sienna's are tire eaters. Yes, I am an aggressive driver, but this is ridiculus.
  • mpumpkinmpumpkin Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased the 2011 AWD with run flats. Do not like the drive at all. I've tried to find some possible solutions, but no luck so far.

Can I replace the AWD tires with regular tires and risk driving around w/o a spare? Would this actually improve the ride on the car??? I I replaced the RFTs with regular tires, would this NEGATE my extended 100K warranty that I purchased when I purchased the car? Is driving around w/o a spare a crazy thing to do?

Any suggestions on what to do, tire suggestions -- anything would be helpful.

Thanks very much.
    You could on 2010s, so that's very likey.

I don't see how it would affect the warranty, perhaps with the exception of the wheels themselves and maybe the suspension components like the shocks, but even that's a stretch.
  • jcortneyjcortney Member Posts: 7
    I can't believe that toyota is still trying to use the run flat tires. I have a 2005 and have changed to non run flat tires. I carry an air pump, two cans of flat tire fixer, and AAA. Even if you can find a non run flat tire a tire shop that has been business for 35 years could not get the beads off the rim. After having replace 7 tires , Toyota replace 4 for early uneven wear I replace 3 more due to nails and I finally gaveup!!!
  • mgoldsteinmgoldstein Member Posts: 58
    Replacing OEM tires on my 2006 Sienna XLE FWD (thankfully, not the run flats!).

Which would you recommend:

TOYO EXTENSA

or

YOKOHAMA AVID TOURING S

Thanks.
  • acgator42acgator42 Member Posts: 2
    2008 xle awd and I have averaged around 18-20k with 2 set of dunlops. I think it's time to make the switch to non-rfts. The ride is harsh, tread wear is low-in the 300s- and they're loud. For those of you who have made the switch, what brand/model have you gone to and how has it changed your ride? I am worried about not having a spare, and was quoted 4-500 for the donut from the dealer. I looked at the option of a full size spare via toyota parts cheap .com has anyone gone this route?
  • rjeokrjeok Member Posts: 7
    The original equiptment tires for my 2011 LTD FWD are Goodyear Eagle RSA. When I looked up these tires on Tirerack.com, it shows the tire is only rated 5.5, as the marks for light snow and deep snow were only 3.1 & 3.2.

Has anybody had good or bad experience driving the LTD with these tires in the snow??

Thanks for the info.

Tire rack link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+RS-A&p- artnum=355VR8RSA&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=20- 11&autoModel=Sienna FWD&autoModClar=Limited
  • sienna45sienna45 Member Posts: 5
    I replaced the run flats on my 2006 AWD Sienna with Yokoham Geolander ATS's and could not be more pleased with them. They're much quiter (surprise), ride better, get 1/2 MPG better gas mileage, and really dig into snow and mud -- I live in central Pennsylvania and drive on mountain and dirt roads (even light off road) quite a bit. I have added a space saver spare that you can pick up at an auto wreck yard fairly cheaply. By the way, I converted it into a VW Westfalia-esque camper and it worked out quite well.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    I went with the Yokohama Avids on my 2006 Sienna the first time. At about 40K miles they lost any and all winter traction. Just put on a set of Michelin X radials. Only have 100 miles on them, but they work great on ice and hardpack snow so far. Very quiet and smooth at 70 MPH. You can only get them at Costco or Sams club, but they are quite an upgrade from the Yokohama Avids and I got a set of 4 out the door for $608.00. Have a 800 mile road trip next week that should tell the tale...
  • dkwarrendkwarren Member Posts: 9
    A year-and-a-half ago, my service manager contacted Toyota HQ and told me that Toyota would replace my defective wheels. She also told me that I could get them replaced at my convenience even if I waited until the car was past the 36,000 mile limit. I waited until 42,000 miles, mostly because I was out of town. A few months ago, the dealership was acquired by new owners and there was a new service manager there. He found the old notes from the previous service manager and contact Toyota HQ, again. Within five days, I got my new wheels at no charge to me. The new service manager was surprised, but Toyota took care of the problem and the dealership got paid to do the installation.

I am happy with the service. We still don't know what the root cause of the problem was, or if the paint job on the new wheels will hold up. Time will tell, but this problem seems to have affected mostly the Sienna 17" mag allow wheels and not those with other styles on other models.
  • kittykat40kittykat40 Member Posts: 2
    Can I replace my 215/70/r16 with a 205/70/r15? what is the difference?
  • kittykat40kittykat40 Member Posts: 2
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    No.

Not only would you get a new set of rims (15" vs 16"), the total radius is too small (13.9" vs 13.1") and would make your speedometer and odometer inaccurate and cause the engine, transmission and traction control computers to have problems.

A quick tutorial of what the numbers in the tire size mean for 215/70/r16:
    215= width of tire in millimeters
    70 = ratio of sidewall height to width, meaning the tire's side wall is 70% the dimension of the width or 0.7*215=150.5mm
    r16 = radial tire to fit a rim 16" in diameter

A good place to look to experiment with sizes of tires to work without messing up the total combination radius :http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • my_last_toyotamy_last_toyota Member Posts: 5
    Not sure if this is a record, but our 2006 Sienna XLE has 52K miles and we are on our sixth (6th) set of run-flat tires (excluding the original set). To be fair, the Toyota dealership (Palo Alto) has replaced seven of the 24 tires because of installation issues (i.e. they screwed-up) and these tires didn't last a week. In contrast, our 2003 Subaru Outback (157K miles) is on it's second (2nd) set of tires.
  • dkwarrendkwarren Member Posts: 9
    I'm not certain about what to say about the run-flat tires. I'm still on the originals with just under 50,000 miles on them. I rotate them at every 5000 mile oil change interval. My Toyota service manager says that they should last 50,000 miles, but may even go beyond that. I have read the other horror stories about run-flats wearing out prematurely.

I am an automotive engineer with some experience in axle and suspension designs. Aside from the quality of the materials in the tires and the tire production processes, there are several factors in the adjustments of the suspension system and wheel alignments that can cause tires to fail prematurely. What does your dealer say about your suspension and wheel alignments?
  • my_last_toyotamy_last_toyota Member Posts: 5
    dk - not sure what to say myself, other than this has been a very disappointing experience
  • fdemetzfdemetz Member Posts: 6
    Run-flat tire runners beware! My 2005 Sienna AWD dealer replaced original Dunlap run-flats with free new set of Dunlaps run-flats at 17,500 mi due to class action against premature ware, so Toyota does stand behind their vehicles. At 27,000 more miles a bubble the size of a grapefruit developed the morning after an 80 miles night run on high speed freeways. Tire shop said the run-flat layers had separated with no sign of curb or other impacts visible. Since I do this trip often, I purchased a new set of standard tires and found a much smoother/quieter ride, and hopefully much better tire life. Now to find a spare tire for the roof rack for trips far from a tire repair shop if I pick up a nail.....
  • bmwk75sbmwk75s Member Posts: 21
    I wouldn't waste the money on a spare tire that you'll carry on your roof rack and never use. Get a plug kit and small compressor or a roadside assistance/towing membership that will tow up to 50 miles in case a tire is shredded.

Does anyone have any feedback on the tire wear for the 2011 AWD Sienna? Did they make any changes to improve the premature wear?
  • rjoegregrjoegreg Member Posts: 2
    I had to change 3 times in 5 years and last year, i changed to normal tires with spare tire to the boot / baggage space for the car.. there is no problem with the tire but the weight of the vehicle is adding lot of stress to the tires and worn faster because of reinforcement built.. Overall its Toyota Sienna AWD Limited edition is a disgrace to toyota with many issues. to me, engine,transmission and all other components that go into this AWD couldnt cope up with the heavy built vehicle with AWD ..
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are disappointed in your run-flat tires and/or wish that your car had a spare tire, please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 15, 2011 and be sure to include your city/state of residence and a few comments on the subject.
  • fdemetzfdemetz Member Posts: 6
    What a coincidence......I just added a set of standard 60,000mi Cooper tires to my 2005 Sienna and had to purchase from Toyota Parts a space saver spare wheel and tire to put in my luggage compartment. This was because of my very bad luck with the Run Flats which came with my Sienna XLE. Due to class action suit Toyota gave me a new set of Dunlap Run Flats at about 22,000 miles from new. At 27,000 on the new set I developed a very slow leak in one of the new tires which was so slow we couldn't find and repair it. Then a few weeks later I felt a bump-bump-bump and found a grapefruit size bubble had developed on another of the 27,000 mile Run Flats. Toyota would offer no further adjustments on the second set so I went to my friendly independent tire dealer and bought a set of standard tires. Surprisingly, the Sienna runs much quieter on the standard tires, probably due to the very stiff sidewalls on the original Run Flats. For those interested in purchasing a Toyota Parts space saver spare: Wheel Part #42611-AE050 was $121.26 + tax; Space Saver Tire size T155/80R17, Part # DT001-26829-BS was $282.90+tax. In fairness to Toyota they have voluntarily provided free warranty repairs on rear hatch gas-filled struts, seat belt attachment, the new set of Run Flats, and replaced a bad Laser Cruise Control Sensor. All-in-all this Sienna is the most trouble-free car I've ever had. Interestingly, the friendly Toyota Salesman tells me that all new XLE Sienna's no long use Run Flats, and have a Space Saver Spare instead!
    Fred in California
  • january8888january8888 Member Posts: 1
    Coincidental that I just saw your message....
    We are getting ready to get our 2004 Sienna XLE Limited AWD its 4th set of tires (~82,000 miles). I just dropped you an email. :-)
  • timothjtimothj Member Posts: 1
    Have worn out 3rd set of Bridgestone 380 RFT at just over 80k miles, of course that doesn't include the pair on the rear, which are newer. Was left stranded with shredded rear tire, towed to Toyota dealership, only to find they did not keep the tire in stock. Had to be in next city that night, so bought a tire for one day and then got a pair of full price 380's in next city. If they are going to sell the car, they should stock the tire. RFT's would be ok, though expensive, if you weren't still at risk of being left stranded at the side of the road. Am currently considering buying non-RFT tires and carrying a spare when traveling out of town. Will never buy another vehicle with out a spare. As it is, we put the extra, unmounted tire in the car on trips, so why not get regular tires?