Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Audio/Entertainment Questions

jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
I don't know what forum to use to ask this question, so I'll start here. I know the new Siennas have a jack for an iPod. From what I gather, you plug a wire from the iPod to the radio jack and hit the MP3 button. Two questions: first does this mean you don't need one of those iTrips that run through an FM station on the radio? Second: Where do you get this wire? Thanks

Comments

• maxellmanmaxellman Member Posts: 43
    Can anyone share how they can play Ipod in the van?

There is aux plug in on the DVD player and also I think there is a plug right next to the in-dash 6 disk CD player, will those work? and what kind of connector do I need?

Thanks,
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    You're probably right. On the right side of the audio system you have a "AUX-IN" jack, to plug in any accessories, like an ipod, laptop, cassette player, etc. Then press the AUX button on the radio.

I think the silver trim on the '06 LE is better than the '05 glossy black. The new '06 gauges are also welcome. The XLE Limited finally features memory seats and mirrors, and signal mirrors.
  • maxellmanmaxellman Member Posts: 43
    Mine is a XLE with Option 4. I feel it is more luxury than my 02 RX300. The blue gauges are very nice. Not cheap though, but nice.
  • 4wheels14wheels1 Member Posts: 23
    It is just a simple mini-plug to mini-plug wire, you can get one for a few bucks at Walmart (by the iPod accessories). So you do not need an FM transmitter, the wire plugs into the iPod's headphone jack.
  • edinctedinct Member Posts: 1
    I have one of the new Sienna's with the auxiliary jack. You plug the output of your Ipod (or any audio device; I use both a Sirius receiver and my Ipod) into the jack, hit the aux button, and it plays. You don't need the Itrip, since it's a direct input -- the sound quality is much better than the FM modulator and you don't have to worry about a strong FM station "stepping" on your signal.
  • bjw122bjw122 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a preowned '04 Sienna that's equiped with the optional rear seat audio sytem. The car did not come with a remote control and I'm assuming the dealer (a non-Toyota dealer) wouldn't know anything about it if I called them on it. Am I correct in saying that I can't use the rear seat audio option without the remote control? Also, does anyone know how I might go about getting a replacement remote?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would take it to a Toyota dealership and ask them to order a remote for me.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I've seen many of these remotes for sale on Ebay.
  • ziggyboyziggyboy Member Posts: 2
    The MP3/WMA player in my 2006 Sienna CE skips after playing a handful of MP3 songs flawlessly. When the skipping starts eventually it just stops playing. When I eject and re-insert put the same MP3 disc, it will just keep showing error. This happens to all MP3 discs. This occurs when playing chronologically or random.
  • wacalwacal Member Posts: 2
    I haven't tried mine yet. I will check if I have the kinda of problem. I just bought a Sienna LE 06 less than 2 weeks but observed a problem. I can hear some sloshing sound coming out from the fuel tank underneath. Have you ever come arross hearing that sound making especially when you park your car in garage or outdoor parking lot. Try it when you turned off any music.
  • winston7winston7 Member Posts: 11
    i dont hear any sound from my sienna, in as much as its just two weeks try to visit the dealer for some test.
  • wacalwacal Member Posts: 2
    Yes I will. What if the sound won't go away after the dealer services tested and tried to have it fixed but not successful. What do u suggest? Do i leave it that way or go thru the arbitration procedures for claim. That sound worries me too much because it is gasoline movement under.
    Thanks for advice and reply.
  • ziggyboyziggyboy Member Posts: 2
    No, I don't hear that slushing sound. Everything else works fine except for the MP3 player problem.
  • winston7winston7 Member Posts: 11
    If after all the fixing fails you have no choice but to go thru the arbitration for claiming. Just be firm regarding your complaints coz its all warantied so you dont have to be afraid of anything. If they cant fix it, replace it!
  • blackedge88blackedge88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I got my LE pk#2 just a week ago and yah..thought I could hear the same underneath when parking and a sound of like a brake pad touching the drum in the rear but very minimal..Have you checked with the dealer yet?..Any info as to what is it causing the sound? Please advise. Thanks!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I have never heard that type sound in my 2006 Sienna LE. Maybe your ears are better than mine.
  • mmf2mmf2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have just got a new sienna, and before leaving the lot, heard the sound. They told me it was because it's an AWD and the fuel was topped off. they said after driving for a few days, it should go away. It's still there and now they call and say this is normal and will be expected for life of the car.
    Hmm...

Thanks
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for answering my question about how to play the i-Pod in the Sienna. Here is another: Does the i-Pod continue playing when you turn the engine off? With the i-Trip you have to remember to stop the i-pod because even though the radio goes off with the engine, the i-Pod continues playing. Thanks for any info.
  • alpyaalpya Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I could not find place holder for DVD releated problems and so thought of posting the issue here. All of a sudden DVD player in my 2006 Sienna LE seems to have malfunctioned. The DVD is still inside the player and the DISK light is always illuminated. When DVD/AUX button is selected you can hear the DVD play but the screen is blank and none of the buttons function. Even the remote does not assist. Has anyone encountered the issue and what was done to fix it?

Regards,
  • hondaoddityhondaoddity Member Posts: 25
    I haven't got a Sienna with a DVD player, but I have an Odyssey with one. It experienced a similar issue when we bought it. I would suggest you check your fuses and make certain they are all good. There may be more than 1 for your system.
  • kbinsturnerkbinsturner Member Posts: 4
    I've been unhappy with the radio reception in my 2005 XLE since I got it (about a year ago). Basically, stations that used to come in crystal-clear in my 05 Sequoia (which also had in-glass antenna) now don't come in well at all, both FM and AM. The dealer replaced the radio under warranty but it really didn't fix the problem. My husband's 2006 LE radio sounds better and has better reception with his wand antenna.

Has anyone had this problem? Is replacing the in-glass antenna a good option? Or is the radio itself to blame?
  • henkel1henkel1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what/where to purchase an iPod connector for the AUX adapter on the '06 Sienna?
  • labagitlabagit Member Posts: 19
    Have I just missed an option for a cassette player in the Sienna? I know they're old school and all, but my kids and I have a ton of books on tape that we really enjoy on long trips. I know the Odyssey has it as an option, but I haven't seen it listed for the Sienna.
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    I'm sure you have your answer by now but Radio Shack has the 1/8" to 1/8" miniplug cable to connect the Ipod to the Aux adapter and it is in various lengths. Also if you have a video Ipod you can connect it to the Sienna entertainment center 3 prong adapter by the following cable-
    GE JASAV97592 iPod(R) Video Cable for about $5. Tanker
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    To add to the info above on the 1/8" male to male cable costing about $6 when used to connect Ipod to van audio system. In order to get proper level of the sound thru all speakers you have to adjust the settings on the Ipod. Go to "Settings" and then click on "Volume Limit" and adjust it to "Max". You will now have continuous quality music thru the adapter. You don't need the FM transmitter or line amplifiers. You can also hook up the video Ipod thru the 3 video adapters in the rear left wheel well of the 2006 Sienns XLE Limited. Tanker
  • gmoore2gmoore2 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 04 sienna XLE with the rear radio. Can I have a DVD player installed in place of the radio. Does anyone know how much it costs?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just get a roof-mounted one.

Costco has an RCA 10" model for $650 installed on their web site, last time I looked.

Best Buy had one that I saw in person last weekend, it was $500 for a 10" screen, but installation was extra.

Both include 2 wireless headsets. IMO those would disturb the front passengers far less than a seperate rear audio system would.

-juice
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    I know I can get i-Pod mini plugs to connect it to the Aux jack. But most places have 6 foot lengths. Radio Shack did have a 1 foot length. Anybody know if they make a cable between 1 and 6 feet long? Even the Apple Store has only 6 foot length.
    I finally got mine, an 07 LE with package 3.

Guess what? My radio reception is poor as well.

Do they all have in-glass antennae now? Thing is, I can't find it!? It's supposed to be in the rear quarter window, but I don't see any lines there. I've seen them on Subarus, unless they look very different on Toyotas?

Do some models still use mast antennae? Mine has the mount for it, but no mast.

BTW, we had a Jenson 12.1" DVD player installed, and that thing ROCKS! :shades:

When we arrived at the beach, the kids asked if they could finish watching the movie. LOL :D
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Please post make, cost including installation and where did you have this installed at?
    Mine is a 2007 Sienna LE, package 3, with the base 6CD changer that comes as OE on the Sienna LE.

Basically the factory stereo, not the JBL one.

I did have a Jenson 12.1" DVD movie screen installed, but it is not hard-wired to the radio, and should not affect the antennae on the radio, especially since I get poor reception even when the DVD is powered off.

Circuit City installed it, $900 total.
  • practicalpractical Member Posts: 53
    Just got XLE w/ DVD last month. Today, while I was listening to my radio at front, kids turned on the DVD.

Then, I just pushed the PWR/VOL knob to shut off the radio, they shouted. It turned off the DVD as well. After reading the manual and tested a few times, the "RES DVD Lock" on/off is to respond/ignore the remote.

Now, how can I just turn off my radio meanwhile keep the rear DVD alive? :confuse:

I guess to turn down the vol to 0 might be a workaround. Isn't it dumb?! :blush:
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    On the 04 LE, it came with rear audio controls. This is where I would be installing the aftermarket overhead LCD DVD player. Is this something that I can do? I haven't tried removing the screws of the existing assembly yet but do power cables come all the way to this area of the ceiling or do I really need to hand this job to the professionals?

Also, I am toying around with the idea of buying those cheaper DVD unit that are sold on eBay. At barely over $200, these are so cheap that I am willing to risk. Some models even come with capability to play MP4 movies which is great. Does anyone here have any experience with these players?
    I had mine professionally installed, a Jenson unit.

Here's the thing. You probably can get power, but if it comes with a dome light you have to wire it up to the switch all the way up in the dash, or at least the one on the driver's door.

Depends on the unit you choose, I suppose.

The reason you need to wire the dome light is so that it turns on when you open the door.
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    How many hours of labor did they charge for the installation?
    It was included in the $900 price.

I got the on-line price, but the store honored in. The in-store price was $999.99.

I figure it's a 12" screen so the price was probably $600 for the unit, the rest labor. It was there for a day.

Mine had no hole in the roof (07 LE models don't have that rear audio setup) so they had to cut one themselves.

They did a good job though they could have vacuumed the interior a little better. Everything works, though.
  • kpmnkpmn Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 XLE that also has the rear audio controls. I went with the 12.1" Jensen unit from Circuit City. The installation was included in the $999 price. (No $900 online price for them to honor - the web site has the same price as the store now.)
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Jensen-12-1-Overhead-DVD-Player-Package-JMV12/sem/rpsm/oid/149464/catOid/-13104/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It was a gamble going into the install since the Jensen unit was just slightly smaller than the rear audio control unit. Circuit City installers said they'd see if it fit and if it didn't then I could return the unit for a full refund and try a different alternative.

To sum it up the Jensen was slightly smaller but still covered the hole of the rear audio unit (barely). There is a slight indentation where the rear audio pressed up against the fabric of the ceiling but it was better than what I was anticipating and I'm hoping over time that will completely disappear. Even if it doesn't I'm rather particular about those things and I'm OK with the real slight fabric indentation, you basically have to look carefully to see it.

A couple other notes regarding the Jensen installation. They did a very good job (may vary by the tech you get I guess). They do unhook your rear audio controls (I didn't need them or care so works for me). They are just secured up in the ceiling so you can get them back if you reinstall the rear audio control panel. The other note is that the dome lights built-in on the Jensen unit won't work. There isn't a separate power supply in the ceiling for them. They can add that if you want to pay an additional installation fee for them to run a separate power wire up to the ceiling (I didn't).

If that's not your cup of tea there is a Myron & Davis monitor you can put in the flip down part of your existing rear audio unit. It's a smaller screen but that's because it replaces that flip down storage compartment. (Plus you don't lose the rear audio controls as with the Jensen approach.) Another down side there is that it is just a screen. The DVD player needs to be added separately. Here's a link to one web site that sells a combo of the screen and then a separate DVD player small enough to fit in the glove compartment:

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MV&Product_Code=ATY178PKG

I can't comment on the Myron&Davis unit since I didn't go that route but I can tell you the kids think the 12.1" screen is awesome! I'd give that install a thumbs up.
    I agree, size matters. Go with the big screen! :shades:

Once your kids have sampled a 12" screen, a 7 or 8" screen won't do.
  • aflandersaflanders Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just bought a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited. I installed an ipod2car connection kit and it worked fine with my iPod including wheel and volume controls.

The only problem is that the dvd player in the back stopped working. When I disconnected the iPod adapter the DVD player was OK, when I reconnected the iPod adapter the DVD player went dead.

Is there any sort of an a/b switch that I can install so that I can switch from one to the other without having to tear my dash board apart? I like being able to play my iPod, but the grandkids love the DVD player.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

aflanders :confuse:
  • rickervbrickervb Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I currenly have a 2004 Sienna that has the rear audio controls on the roof. I know that the DVD system will fit up there.
    However, does any one know if the cord would be the same? I assume it is using a 12 pin din or something like that>

I guess the question is can I swap out the rear audio for the DVD and use the existing wire or will I need to run a new wire to the head unit.

Thanks a lot.
    Rick
    I have LE package 3 and it has mast antenna. Maybe it missing that's why the reception is poor.

2nd, LE does not have dome light. How big of whole they're going to cut to install DVD player :cry:

I saw two screen dvd player for under $600. Also, 15"... are these too big? or 12.1 is good enough.

Wireless headsets... are these FM transmitters? How do you get more headsets... I might need 5 when friends are accompanying us... That's I liked the old plugged-in option where you can use y-cables to connect as many wired head-phones you like. Can you piggy-back on a wireless head set using regular wired headset?
    That's a lot of questions! :D

Let me try to answer them one by one, at least the ones I think I know...

Yes, LE3 has a mast antennae. Mine was missing, delivered without one. Dealer ordered one and replaced it with no fuss.

My overhead DVD player came with a dome light. That solves your problem, 2 birds with one stone.

15" is enormous. My 12" screen block the top half of the rear view mirror, so a 15" screen would probably block the entire view. The huge side mirrors compensate somewhat.

Extra headsets were $40 at Circuit City. The 2 that came with it were enough for me, at least for now. I do not think they use FM transmitters, because they work no matter what FM frequency I choose on the DVD player. Not sure how they work, come to think of it, but they do.

The headphones only work inside the car. Range is not that great (shouldn't matter), but the sound quality for my kids is fine.

I need to look to see if there are sockets for wired headsets on my player, not sure. I don't think the headsets have any outputs.

Basically, for the 2 of them, we use headphones. If there are more people in the car, we just pick a movie with a nice soundtrack. I don't mind listening to The Sound of Music or High School Musical while I drive, just as examples of what we've played for a bigger audience.
    ateixeira, thanks so much...
    "If there are more people in the car, we just pick a movie with a nice soundtrack. I don't mind listening to The Sound of Music or High School Musical while I drive, just as examples of what we've played for a bigger audience."

Here I assume that you play the sound on car radio? or DVD player is connected to your aux port of the stereo?

Thanks,
    Yeah, you pick one of 4 FM frequencies, then it plays over the radio. For me I found a good one that has almost no static at all, and I just made it one of my FM presets.

Cool thing is I have audio controls on the steering wheel, so I can turn the sound track on and adjust the volume without taking either hand off the wheel.

The DVD player is just set to that FM frequency all the time, so if it's on, I control all the sound at my finger tips.

I do have an aux port, but it's not used in this case. All FM frequency.

My installer told me there was indeed a power source in the ceiling for him to use, but I didn't see it personally. I do think they can draw power from the ceiling where your audio controls are without splicing, but don't quote me on that.
    Thanks very much!

How big of a whole they make on the roof? I'm a little nervous having them cut the ceiling. If the light was already there, they would just replace the current light fixture and install the DVD player.
    Depends on what DVD player you get, I suppose.

The Jensen came with a template, he used that to cut out the hole.

I can't see any trace of it not being factory. We're happy.
  • philtsphilts Member Posts: 3
    I have a '07 LTD AWD. Whenever I play a DVD, the volume needs to be turn up very high as opposed to nomal radio or CD volume.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Thanks,
    -Phil
    What is difference between JBL and regular audio system that's installed on LEs? If I get hold of JBL, would I be able to swap it or both have different connectors in the back? I have Thundra JBL which looks same as LE except small letters stating JBL. Is is easy to take the current system out?

Is there any different speaker system for JBL?

Thanks,
  • wats00437wats00437 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Sienna XLE with the JBL Audio System. I recently bought a Double Din DVD Player (Clarion MAX675) along with headrest monitors, reverse camera and sub. I already have gotten hold of a wiring harness that will allow me to tap into the stock system however, I am looking for a DOUBLE DIN MOUNTING KIT for the van. I have searched and searched and have not found anything yet. My friend installed a DOUBLE DIN KIT for the Sienna Previously but claims that it came from Japan. Does anyone out there know of any Double DIN kits for this van? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
  • wats00437wats00437 Member Posts: 2
    I have the JBL Synthesis System with the DVD and the Sub in the back. If you were planning on paying extra to get it... don't. It isn't worth it. I thought that it would be better and having an OEM system would be just easier and good enough, No way! My friend has an older Sienna and put in an Alpine CD Deck, replaced all of the speakers with simple Infinity replacements and put in a small 6" powered sub... and it sounds better than mine! He got almost everything at Best buy, everything is hidden except for the deck and it really sounds clean and good for the few hundred he paid for the equipment (about $700). Trust me, that is the way to go. I am replacing my JBL system with a Clarion MAX675 DVD (if I can find the mounting kit) or a flip out DVD with head rest monitors, rear view camera (a must! Don't use a mirror monitor because it is too dark, I have one on now) and a replacement powered sub and tapping into the factory speakers for now (only because of the center channel). The problem with the factory sub is there is no adjustment for frequency and it just doesn't sound good. Getting a smaller powered sub and tuning it to how you enjoy listening is a better option. Spend a little slowly and make it sound really clean and good for a lot less money (if you are not a die hard audio guy). Good luck!