Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    TOM..
      Looks like we are thinking the same thing.
    I just finished cutting my lawn. HOT HOT HOT.
    Unlike our host with 14% humidity, 100% here.
      I used to use a rider & a push mower. I gave up & just use the Push. I need the exercise.
    I can regain that 72 pounds I lost in 2000.
      Be carefull Tom.. remember your a grandpa now.
    Go get ya some SWEET TEA cool off.

BT
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Still at work so I get a chance to sneak a peak at the board every so often.

If we did not have brown stuff, you would not be able to see all the stuff that can bite you or sting you. Just wouldn't be Texas. You remember.

We picked up a 13 month old pup from the pound a few months back. Could not believe how active the thing is. I guess I had kind of forgot how they are since I had not had a pup for about 8 years or so. She is so fast that she has caught several birds that were in the back yard. She is incredible to watch.

Sorry this one didn't work out for you, but there is a dog out there with your name on it.

Bamatazz,
    pleassssssssssssssssse send Tom a shirt. The neighbors will thank you. Does he have a redneck because he lives in Kentucky?

Still a happy camper.
  • dopleedoplee Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I have a 2000 Wrangler with a 5 speed manual. Today as I was driving I noticed a small rattling noise coming from my transmission gear box. The noise is very similiar to the noise you hear when you have wind blowing on a plastic shopping bag. I noticed the noise gets louder when I accelerate and goes away when I'm rolling on neutral. It seems like something is loose inside the gear box. The shift stick seems a little loose as well. Does anyone know how I can look inside the gear box? I've tried looking to see how I can look underneath the rubber base but I didn't want to damage anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I guess if that pup was "the one," you would know it. With Ross Allen and me, it was love at first sight.

I didn't even know that my daughter was getting a puppy, since she didn't bother to ask, and when I got home from work and saw her out in the front yard with him, I said, "No, Dawn!"

Well, the words had hardly left my mouth when I got the first good look at him, and that was all she wrote. No way I was gonna send that little guy back to the pound. I did just the opposite: I took over his care. ( I would have had to anyway, cause no way my daughter would have tended to him. )

Oh well, guess I'd better get back out and work on the yard some more. Just about done with the trimming, and I will be on that riding mower soon.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I guess you know that the NV3550 tranny is notorious for a noise it makes when it is in neutral with the clutch out and the engine running. They ALL do that. It sounds like marbles rolling around in a tin can.

You could have either the AX-15 or the NV3550, since you have a 2000 Wrangler. The 2000 model year was the transition year between those two trannies.

You wouldn't be able to see anything under the rubber boot except your transmission linkage and the top of the transmission. Doubt if that would tell ya anything about what's going on inside the tranny or the transfer case.

Old Mac will have a tip for ya, I'll bet, but I would have to take the thing to a mechanic and have it checked out. I have never heard of the NV3550 making noise when the Jeep is going down the road in gear. I only know of it making that noise in neutral with the clutch out and the engine running.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Unless what you have is a very common problem, as indicated by tsjay, diagnosing noises over the internet is very difficult, and to be honest it's pretty hard in real life too!

First, you can't look inside the transmission without removing it and tearing it down, and if it has an internal problem then that is what will have to be done. Second, before you take it to somone who has the skills to recognize what the problem might be, try checking the fluid levels in both the transmission and transfer case. Better still, change both lots of fluid and check the old stuff for evidence of metallic particles.
    Thanks tsjay and mac,

Before I took the car to see a mechanic just wanted to know what kind of problem I've had. Where can I check the transmission fluid and the transfer case on Jeep Wrangler 2000 Sport? I've checked the manual and it tells me how to check/fill the fluids but it doesn't tell me where it is in relation to the other engine components. Perhaps I have to lift the car?

Thanks
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    Took our black lab wheelin then took a dip in a clear cool stream today, forget about yard work! I met a local guy yesterday that has a beautiful 2000 TJ Sport with the works-37" tires,big lift,gears,bumpers,Warn winch,light bar,it was really clean,too. He confessed that he had never been off pavement!He just really likes "The Look".I wonder if I should try to convert him to my religion, or let him continue to live in sin? TJRay
    Thanks tsjay and mac,

Before I took the car to see a mechanic just wanted to know what kind of problem I've had. Where can I check the transmission fluid and the transfer case on Jeep Wrangler 2000 Sport? I've checked the manual and it tells me how to check/fill the fluids but it doesn't tell me where it is in relation to the other engine components. Perhaps I have to lift the car?

Thanks
    It might be smart to just take that puppy to a DC service department and have them change your t-case and tranny fluids. See if you can get them to "cut you a deal" and come off that official price for that service.

That way you will get the right fluids in there, and the mechanic can check the old fluid to see how much metal might be in it. I think SOME amount of metal particles would be normal, right Mac?

It is VERY important to get the right fluid in that tranny! Some types of fluid eat the brass synchronizers. Not saying any particular brand is needed, just the right class of fluid.

It would be good to establish a friendly business relationship with a DC service manager somewhere. They can discount stuff big time, if the shop isn't real busy, and if they believe you will be a regular customer.

I had my Jeep's tranny fluid and t-case fluid changed at a GM dealership where I go for service on my vehicles. They gave me such a good price for the labor, it wouldn't have been worth the trouble to do it myself. (I had brought in my own fluids, which I bought at a DC parts department.) I have bought four new cars there in the last 7 years, so maybe that's why they take such good care of me? :)

That was back in my crazy days of car trading all the time, but Thelma Jane has cured me of that.

Tom

What a pity! A Jeep set up like that and it never goes off road!!! SHAME!

Glad ya had a good day. Sounds like a lot more fun than I had. :(

Tom

Thanks tsjay and mac,

Thanks
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Headed for Anacortes, WA (from Seattle)yesterday just for fun. Kind of overcast so I put the bikini top on. I haven't had it that long and was surprised that at 75 mph it just raised itself up in a bubble and didn't flap at all. My passenger, for once not my dog, thought it was pretty cool since it cut down on the wind whipping through the cab too.

Toured some boats I can't afford, had some alder-smoked salmon at the Eagles club BBQ and took the Jeep down lots of back roads.

Then I stopped at the Honda dealer and we took an S2000 for a little test drive. Hoooeeee, that's another kind of fun.

Anyway, the bikini top, a good investment, not much money and it stores under the seat.
    No, you don't have to lift it. Just slide underneath with the handbook in one hand and compare the pictures with what you see. If you can't make sense of it, be sure to have your mechanic give you a basic checkout on all the stuff under there.
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Yikes! Tom, I think that image has burned itself into my retinas... Frightening. At least the streak isn't over, you managed to get some form of wheelin' done. ;-)
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    I was at my Jeep dealer this morning dropping mine off for some work (squeaky clutch) and climbed under a few '04's. I noticed than only the automatics had the new "shovel" member up front. None of the 5-speeds had it, they looked just like my '02.

On a more humorous note, they had a TR Rubi that they were asking $40K for (that's US dollars!). It was a completely stock TR edition with no dealer installed accessories. They listed an additional $10K for "market adjustment." I don't know what market they think they're in....

-Pete
    lol. Maybe that's the one that comes with Angelina Jolie...

Glad to hear that the crossmember has been changed though.
    What's so funny about a $40,000 Wrangler???

That's about what Thelma Jane will end up costing me with interest and all. :)

That's counting the debt I carried over from that 2000 Grand Prix GT into the deal for Thelma Jane.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The dealer I went to where I test drove the TR edition only had his usual markup posted - about the same that he puts on everything. I doubt he manages to get that very often, but probably does help him do better than if he didn't have any markup posted at all (see, I'm discounting this vehicle...). I actually had another dealer (Toyota dealership) do that to me, and then try to convince me that MSRP was the dealer invoice...
    No, nothing wrong with a $40K Wrangler. In fact, if someone is as happy with their vehicle as you are with T.J., then it doesn't really matter what it costs (as long as you can afford it).

The part that struck me as being funny was the additional $10K "Market Adjustment" they added. As if MSRP wasn't high enough, in these hard automotive sales times. It strikes me more of a "Sucker Adjustment," that I just have to laugh at rather than telling them what I really think. Too bad I can't tack on a few extra thousand for market adjustment when I sell or trade-in my older cars. Actually, I'm usually told they don't like to sell whatever I'm trading in and they want to deduct a few thousand as another kind of market adjustment. [/rant off]

The weather here is nice today, it's sunny and about 75F with 65% humidity (a little wet for this time of year).

-Pete
    Yes, I agree, they probably do close more deals with that extra markup because of the illusion of discounting a vehicle. I've also had them try that "MSRP is our cost and we have to mark it up a little..." bit on real hot selling cars.

How did you like the seats in the new '04's? Sitting in a couple, they seamed a little more comfortable than mine. They sure look different. I like their design a little better too. The handle on the passenger seat to flip it forward instead of a little rip cord to pull. The back seat had a nice handle top center to fold the seat up instead of that little metal lever on the older ones.

-Pete
    Yeah, I knew what ya meant. Just struck me as funny that Thelma Jane will actually cost me about the same amount as that TR with the "market adjustment."

Thelma Jane might cost me almost double her sticker price when all is said and done, but she has sure cured me from trading so often! So, I guess in the long run, she will actually save me money.

I'll trade weather with you!

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I have a '98, so I don't know what the '03s were like. I liked the handle on the back of the back seat - much easier than the lever. Of course, my seat is rarely in mine, so I guess it doesn't matter much. I didn't notice the passenger seat, though anything would be better than the rip cord. I find it really hard to do sometimes, and I can't figure out what I'm doing differently.

They are definitely lower than my '98, which would take some getting used to. They weren't so low that I felt uncomfortable (I won't ride in certain cars because I'm so small, and it is totally unnerving if I can't see the hood) but definitely something I'd have to get used to (do prefer the higher seats). I laughed at the red seatbelts (TR Edition). I felt like I was wearing red braces with my shorts. Would not be my choice, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Tom - would you like to exchange weather with me? I could sure use a break - I'm tired of summer, and there is no break in sight at the moment.
    That's what I meant about trading with Pete. It is miserably hot and humid here. I am ready for some nice fall weather!

Tom

• jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Tom
    Thanks for the information on getting the build sheet. After receiving the build sheet and doing a car fax. I got the YJ. It gives Mary (wife) a Jeep closer to a CJ (Mary just doesn’t like the dash of a TJ) and I got the 4.0 with fuel injection that I wanted. The spec. on "Sally” is White with a black soft top, auto, ps, pb, tilt, air, 2” body lift and 31’s, aluminum wheels? The first thing Mary did Monday was ordered a set of 8” AR-767. She said that the aluminum wheels would not last long in the woods.
    Thanks again
    Walt

You're most welcome. Good luck with that new Jeep. White with black top? Hmmmmm. That sounds really gorgeous! I admire your taste. :)

Tom

P.S. Tell Mary "good choice" on the wheels too!
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I currently drive a 98' JGC 4x4 which has been a great vehicle. As the miles mount up im thinking of purchasing a new vehicle. I have been looking at the wrangler with auto sport/sierra/rubicon with full doors and hard top. I drive about 35,000 miles a year as a residential real estate appraiser. I do not off roading other than at camp jeep the last 2 years. Money/gas mileage are not an issue just the ride quality. I wanted an opinion as to the ride and comfort of the wrangler for such use and many miles a year. Thanks, Jeff
    We are each "programmed" differently. To me, the ride and comfort of my Jeep are fine. I used it as my daily driver for the first several months after its purchase, and I drive 27 miles one way to work.

I have also been on fairly long trips in the Jeep, the longest being over eight hours. Once again, no problem.

Maybe it's just the "fun" factor overcoming any shortcomings in ride quality, but whatever the reason, I am no more tired when I get where I'm going than would be true for car travel. It is just plain enjoyable driving a Jeep!

Tom

It really is so subjective. Mine's a d/d and I love it, but it doesn't mean you will. Are you able to rent one for a week?

By the way, a Sierra isn't a Jeep, and the Rubicon won't make a good commuter. Look at Sport and Sahara models.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I'm sure Jeff meant Sahara. :-)

Jeff, stepping down from a JGC to a Wrangler is a huge step! I'm sure you will be pleased if you choose one, they are serious fun.

Wrangler TJs are coil sprung, and have both front/rear solid axles, like your Grand. (Are they?) Because of the shorter wheelbase, the ride will be choppier. Because you are not offroading, I believe you can skip grabbing the Dana 44 rear axle.

Wrangler TJ seats are comfortable...for me. They weren't too hard, or too soft. (But the last I checked was in '01, so I don't know how the new seats are)

As for gas mileage, you might gain a couple MPG because of it being a smaller vehicle, but I wouldn't count a large difference.

Did you also know that the Jeep Wrangler is one of the cheapest vehicles to insure? I believe it's number 8 or so...

Good luck with your decision!

Hug your Jeeps for me! :-)
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Have you test driven a Wrangler? You might know right away if it's not for you. For sure it's not a smooth ride, some people don't like getting in and out and you might consider you'll be losing some storage space too, especially if you want to leave the rear seat in.

They are great for whipping in and out of tight spaces around town though. I commute 25 miles each way in mine, I love bouncing around. It drives me crazy to ride in a normal car. Rubicon would definitely be out for your kind of driving.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    and quick response i seem to be able to get honest answers from the jeep community. I did mean sahara btw. I have driven the rubicon and sahara. I love the look of the rubicon but thought the sahara handles better and a slightly better ride. As ya'll know test drives are short rides usually a couple of miles or less so its hard to get a real good feel for the wrangler for me. I do like how quick they turn and the acceleration of the sahara i drove was as good as my I-6 GC. IMO jeep has the best looking suv's i really like the look of the grille and the heritage behind jeep. What other vehicle has the history of jeep and is american made? Thanks Again, Jeff. I will keep ya'll posted on my decision..... :-)
    With mounting repair bills on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport ($4500 in 1 1/2 yrs) I am seriously considering buying an extended warranty. I came across a company called Direct Vehicle Service Contract (www.directservicecontracts.com) From what I hear and read, it looks pretty good. The rate was reasonable. I liked the fact that there's a $100 deductible per visit (not repair). The underlying insurance company is rated A- by AM Best, though I couldn't find the insurance company on their website. As far as claims go, they will pay it directly to the repair shop/dealer as opposed to me footing the bill first and waiting for them to pay me back. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this company. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Doplee, there's a half dozen similar questions on Town Hall about Direct Vehicle, but no answers - I'm thinking the company must be new or just did a big advertising push.

There's some general extended warranty info in this discussion of interest, esp. in the last 8 or 10 days:

1Source Experience

Steve, Host
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I bought the extended warranty on my 2000 Wrangler from my dealer. I think I ended up paying $1,100 for four more years with $50 deductable. I think the price has gone up some since then. The dealership is negotiable on the price for the extended warranty. I think they started out at close to $1,500.

I was dealing with an internet outfit for a couple of months getting prices etc. They went out of business before I could buy (thank goodness).

At the dealer, you have to buy before 36 months or 36,000 miles.

Be careful.

Terry
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Still waiting for the 04s to show up in my area. I had been concerend about the Ravine Wheels, until someone posted a pic. Now, this talk about the seats has me concerned. Anyone have any first hand info? What's the pattern? Are they higher/lower/the same? (Sport seats specifically)

While we're on it, did they change the top/interior colors? The 03s I think were slate and khaki; the 02s agate and camel. Variations on a theme I suppose.

Thanks.
    embeeduece- I can't answer all your questions about the '04 seats, but can tell you they are different than my '02.

The seats seem to be lower in the vehicle, just a little bit. I liked that because I sit up too high in my '02 and have to look over my steering wheel to see the speedo instead of looking through it. Although, I love how much stuff I can cram under the driver's seat (out of sight) of the older higher mounted seats.

The front seats still feel very comfortable. The shape is different, they look taller to me, or at least wider higher up. It may be an optical illusion, or just my poor memory though :)

I really liked the passenger seat handle for flipping the seat forward, much better than the rip cord I've got. Same goes for the back seat, a nice handle on the top center to fold the seat forward. Again, maybe it's me, but the back seat seemed to have a slight contour to the front lower section. Over all, they looked more modern and refined - I wouldn't worry about not liking them.

-Pete
    I got my Wrangler back today. The squeaky clutch was the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, so they replaced it and the master cylinder.

My transmission noise was normal, just bearing roll they said.

Engine ping at high temperature, they couldn't duplicate or fix. They attribute it to my "oversized" tires. Even though it did this with stock tires? Oh well, I'll try again later.

Weather strip around the rear door was separating from the door. They replaced with new weather strip around door and base of soft rear window. The new weather strip is a different design than the stock one. This one is larger and definitely seals better.

-Pete
  • nautalusnautalus Member Posts: 1
    I am moving to Vermont for college this fall, and am seriously considering getting a new wrangler next summer. However, insulation from the cold (sometimes well below zero) and the heating capabilities of the wrangler have been a major concern.

if anyone could shed any light on this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

Brian
    While I am actually just in the market for a Jeep, a good friend of mine owns one ('99 Sport). For the last couple of winters (which can be mighty cold around here in Alberta), even with the soft top on it was actually really comfortable. I wouldn't worry about the heating capabilities at all - but I would suggest getting the hard top for the winter as you don't want to scratch the windows on the soft top while scraping ice...

Andrew
    The seats changed in '03. The most noticable difference being that they are lower than earlier models. There's now a little kit of spacers on the aftermarket to bring them back to their original height.

While there's a lot of things on Wranglers that people complain about (some quite justifiably!), keeping warm in the depths of winter isn't one of them, even with the soft top. A block heater is an inexpensive factory fitted option that's worthwhile if you're consistantly in low temperatures. Costs around $50.
    Interestingly (or sadly, depending on your climate preferences) enough, a block heater isn't even an option for Jeeps sold here... it's always there.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    looks like it's standard equipment in Canada according to jeep.ca

Some other interesting things I noticed about the Sport base standard equipment:

- Canada gets the 16 gallon tank where all TJ's for US get the 19 gal. This is an easy mod on older Jeeps, not sure if you can mod the new ones the same way.
    - Canada get half doors as standard where the US gets full doors standard with half doors being a no cost option. Given the climate - seems odd, maybe a way to hold down base price.
    - I didnt' notice an SE model avalable in Canada. I may have missed it, though.

-twylie
    That's what I meant... hence it's always there.
    :-)
    having one of those days where simple things seem to pass me by! I did learn some new stuff about CA market Jeeps, though!

-twylie
    No worries, I thought that might be the case. I've been there before - I tend to shut my brain off after arriving at the office in the morning (and most of the time I forget to start it back up).

- As far as the different models available here, as far as I can tell it's limited to the Sport, Sahara and Rubicon. I haven't seen an SE or X model here...

Andrew
    It may be that the dealers choose not stock the SE or the X model for commercial reasons, but I'd be surprised if they were unavailable and you couldn't order one.
    I can't find anything on the Jeep.ca site that mentions the SE or X. Does seem odd in that those vehicles are "price fillers" around the other models.

-twylie
    Say it ain't so... ;-)

It's sort of odd, but I've talked to a couple of dealers who seemed to draw a blank for a few seconds when I referred to a TJ as a Wrangler. There is also no option to take the 4-banger engine so it looks like you can't even option out a Sport into the equivalent of an SE or the X...

Andrew
    Well, color me surprised! I've seen SEs, though not Xs, in Canada but I guess they must have been imports.

DC does a lot of inexplicable things though, like no ABS on a Wrangler D44 axle, or continually showing a beautiful Inca Gold Rubicon on their print and internet advertising (check their site). Of course, Inca Gold was discontinued earlier this year!!! I won't even start on the ill fated APEX edition!