Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
I have a 2003 SOLARA SLEv6 with 44k miles.

It has the original tires, which are 205/60/R16.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS on tires?

Cost is NOT a factor. SAFETY and HANDLING are my primary issues. Of course, I'm not looking to spend $200/tire, but I don't want to spend $50/tire either.

I've started looking at the MICHELIN MXV4s, but I'm also confused by how MANY they have.

I realize there is the "H" rating and the "V" rating, etc, but I have a feeling that the "H" rating should be sufficient. Right ?

I DO put on mainly HIGHWAY miles, and I tend to drive FAST (i.e. 60-75 if possible).

I live in the New Joisy and so we have a mixture of weather throughout the year.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• maid1maid1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a '99 Solara and love it. It has almost 60,000 miles on it and my RPM is having this strange problem. In the morning when the engine is almost at the median temperature, the RPM will (at idle) raise up to above 1000 and drop back down to 300 or 400 or so and will keep doing that until I give it a little gas. I was told that it is the TPS system, but I must wait for the problem to get more severe to fix....Can some explain to me what exactly is going on with the car? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the mechanics. Thanks bunches!!!
  • akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Anybody care to recommend a good alloy wheel for my Black V6 97 Camry. Getting tired of looking at these dinged-up plastic wheelcovers...
    Not looking for anything too fancy - just a clean 5 or 6 spoke design - something like that.
    Just in Sears replacing my battery and was overwhelmed by the Wall of Rims...
    Running Michelin Pilot XGT H4 (205/65/R15).

thanks,
    srp
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    I just replaced my old wheels (15") to 17" wheels.
    Make a lot improvements in handling, braking, cornering compared to stock wheels. I would recommend to replace stock tires to better tires.
    I got 17" alloy rims from IS300 and they fit perfectly on Camry with tire size of 215/50R/17. The diameter of new wheel has 0.1% difference compared to old tire, so I can still use spare tire.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I was thinking of the same upgrade on my 2003, the is300 rims are nice. Are you going to drop the car now? (because of the wheel gap) I think I will just upgrade to 16 inches, I think 17s are bit too much for me for regular driving.
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    I have an 02 LE with stock (steel wheels) and OEM 15" tires. I am thinking of going to 16 or 17" rims and grippier tires to improve handling. I will keep the old rims, and put winter tires on them. My question is: how much of an improvement in handling will I get between the 15" and the 16" or 17" wheels? And is the 17" worth the cost difference (about $50/tire)?

By the way, 16" wouldbe fitted with r16's 205/16R16 Yohohama Avids, and the 17" would be fitted with 225/50R17's with tires to be determined.

I figure the tires are cheaper than a new car. I do not car about straint line performance, but would like to get some more feel in the corners. I am leaning to the 17" with either Continental ContiTouringContact CV95 or Bridgestone Turanza LS-V tires. (all from tirerack).

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    "17" would be fitted with 225/50R17's with tires to be determined"

225/50R17 would rub against the shock for rear wheels!
  • clockerclocker Member Posts: 8
    About a month ago I purchased Goodyear Tripletred's for my 2003 Camry LE. They're the highest rated passenger all season tires at tirerack.com. They're fairly quiet, and handle well. My '97 and '03 Camry's both seemed to plow when turning. These tires helped reduce the plowing. Reviewers comment it's due to the Tripletred's relatively stiff sidewalls. I almost went for Goodyear's Comfortred tire, but I read where the Tripletred was designed with sport coupes in mind whereas the Comfortred was designed with larger luxury cars in mind. The Comfortred got some negative reviews regarding reduced gas mileage probably due to the extra cushion layer of rubber which gives that tire a very pillowy ride. Some folks also didnt'like the lack of road feel they gave. The Tripletreds are an 80,000 mile tire with a high treadware rating.
  • brownkcbrownkc Member Posts: 1
    Take a look at Tirerack.com. I recently bought a Camry and thought the tires were a little noisy. One of the websites I frequent mentioned tirerack as a great source of information. Think of an Edmunds built strictly around tires...that also sells tires. Not to worry though. It's free and I don't think I even had to register to check the recommended tires for my vehicle.

You can choose the decision guide, and it will give suggestions based on your answers. It also has a forum so you can review other users comments about the tires and maybe add your own.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    What is the best way to obtain 15" alloys for an 05 LE, the dealer, tirerack, etc. Any difference between Toyotas or other mfgs?
  • cemotocemoto Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I own a 2003 and a 1999 Camry and would like to put the 15" wheels (stock) from the newer year on the 1999.

Anyone done this?

The body style for the 2001w/ 15" looks the same, so I'm figureing it will work.

Any thoughts?.

Thank you.
  • akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Have a 97 Camry LE V6 - Michelin Pilots getting thin. Live in the Mojave desert. Stick w/ Mich? Bridgestone? Just want a quiet, reliable tire with good wear - not into 'performance'. Appreciate any recommmends.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    go to COSTCO. they carry Michelin and Bridgestone. And every once a while they take $40-$60 off for the whole set.

I think Michelin is quieter compare to Bridgestone (that's what I found out from the Internet)
  • happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    We recently bought a new 2005 Camry LE but wanted to immediately replace the Goodyear Integrity tires that came with the car. We bought the car for its safety features and then read about all of the hydroplaning complaints with this tire and decided to immediately go with something safer. I read all kinds of reviews on TireRack.com. So many people loved the inexpensive Kumho 716s that we decided to give them a try. They are very quiet and comfortable and rated way above the Michelins and all but the high-end Bridgestone Turanzas. We've now had the tires for about a month. They're very quiet and grip well in the heavy rains we get here in Florida. So, you might want to check 'em out.
  • philiphili Member Posts: 19
    I also want to replace the GY Integrity's on my Camry LE. I've been looking at GY
    TripleTred. Someone mentioned that the "speed ratings" are different from Integrity to TripleTred. Does that make a difference?
  • camry01camry01 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to replace a wheel for a 2001 Camry. The wheel is a 15 inch wheel and the symbol on the center cap does not look like any Toyota center cap I have ever seen. The wheel has five spokes with what looks like a figure eight or infinity symbol on the center cap. In addition, the rim has a MC insignia in script. Does anybody recognize these wheels? Can you point us in the right direction for a manufacturer or reseller?
  • jmoothjmooth Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I have an '02 LE with factory alloy wheels. Am thinking about upgrading them, with the primary objective being to fill the wheel wells a little better. What wheel/tire sizes have proven effective for this? Any pictures to share?

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Be careful about "filling the wheel wells." You may get interference when turning or using up all the wheel travel. Better check clearances at steering lock and with the suspension fully compressed.
    Look better with 17" wheels, 215 50R 17 which I have them on my LE.
    The OEM wheels (15") are too small for big body Camry, not proportional to the car.
    I can post the picture, but how I post it in here ?
    http://home.comcast.net/~lmacmil/images/CamrySE.JPG

The overall diameter is probably not significantly different than the smaller wheels but there's more wheel and less tire.
  • jmoothjmooth Member Posts: 12
    Perhaps "filling wheel wells" wasn't the best way to describe what I'm after. You did a better job in your later post when you noted that the stock tires/wheels are out of proportion with the car. That is what I'm looking to correct, rather than transforming my car into a racer-boy delight. ;)

I've seen a handful of Camry's with custom tires/wheels that look really nice, and suspect that, as you also pointed out, the hasn't changed, but there is less tire/more wheel along with a wider tire. The ones I've seen are typically in motion, so I can't check the tire size. :(
    Go the tirerack.com and you can see what the available wheels will look like on your car. There are 119 styles for the Camry!!!
  • joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    I had Walmart Douglas tires on my Mercury Villager and they performed very well. I'm almost due for tires for my 2004 Camry and am interested in hearing from anyone who has used these tires on their Camrys. Are they quiet? How about balance/vibration problems? Did they last as long as advertised?
  • clockerclocker Member Posts: 8
    Around Thanksgiving I purchased 4 Douglas Touring tires at Wal-Mart for my 2003 Camry LE. They were noisier than the original tires, and I noticed a slight vibration in one of the front tires. I had them take them back, and I purchased Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds based upon the ratings on TireRack.com. I really like Tripletreds since they're rather quiet and they handle well. Furthermore, they reduced "plowing" effect in the steering when cornering which is something that's had always bugged me with my '97 and my '03 Camrys.
  • kopcamrykopcamry Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 2006 convertible this week. In reply to my comment about excessive wheelwell space, the sales manager mentioned to me that "Toyota Racing" has replacement springs that bring the suspension down by an inch or two. Apparently this lessens the gap and improves cornering but makes the ride a bit stiffer - is that bad?! I've been quoted $700-800 (Canadian) plus tax for parts and installation. I am seriously contemplating it.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    If you're willing to pay the price, I'd go with the Toyota original equipment replacements (Toyota Racing Development, or TRD). This way, your warranty remains fully in effect, and your airbags will still deploy properly.

You have to decide if a stiffer ride is worth the tradeoff for better handling. Maybe the dealer has a car equipped with the TRD springs so you could go for a test drive?
  • ektaekta Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    what is the optimum tyre air pressure for toyota camry? i'm very new to cars and their maintenance, so I'm clueless.

thx
    Ekta :)
    The pressure recommneded by Toyota in the USA, for the 1997 Camry was 30 psi. The '96 Camry most likely uses the same pressure, although in my opinion, it is used mainly for comfort. I routinely went with 34-35 psi on my former '97 Camry and didn't experience uneven tire wear. (You should find a label giving the tire pressure recommendations on the driver door frame.)

If you look in the fine print in the owner's manual, it even recommends 35 psi when traveling above 75 mph. To me, that's further evidence that 30 psi is for comfort, as opposed to handling/safety/high-speed temperature resistance. It'll provide better fuel economy also.

If your really clueless about cars and maintenance, you should read your owner's and maintenance manuals from cover to cover. Don't have them? Try eBay.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Personal recommendation, follow the instructions for the tire given by the tire manufacturer. Often the car manufacturer recomends lower pressures than what the tire manufacturer does. All tires give you a minimum and maximum tire pressure listing. Most manufacturers edge toward the low end of those numbers for ride comfort. Some go lower than that (read that Ford with their Explorers).

Just a suggestion though.

Ken
    Only problem is by following the instructions by the tire manufacturer, the only readily available source is the molded label on the tire itself giving maximum pressure. Many if not most passenger car tires today have a maximum allowable pressures of 44 psi. That is too high for the Camry.

Regarding the Firestone/Explorer fiasco, it was only during the extensive publicity that Firestone's original recommendation of 30 psi for the Explorer came to light. Ford went with 26 psi, because of rollover concerns with higher pressures, overriding Firestone's recommendation.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Air pressure is usually stated near driver's door and can be seen when the door is open.
  • saxe10595saxe10595 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2003 Camry LE which came with 15" wheels and one of the worst tires I ever had Goodyear Integrity .Tread is alreay almost 1/2 at 16 K. I am thinking of changing the tires to improve handling and wonder whether I can change the wheel alongwith it as SE came with 16" wheels 215-60-16. This should improve handling and if I get better tires alongwith it ? What are cons of 16" vs. 15" ? Could I go for 17" ? Is this going to affect mileage ? Any suggestions ?

I feel 15" is small for car size of a camry.
    Go to tirerack.com and the site will tell you what size tires you need for 16" wheels.
    You can use 16" wheels with 215/60R16 tires, as these are the same as those used on the SE and XLE, as you noted. I'd get Toyota wheels to ensure the offset is correct. Your speedometer/odometer will be thrown off a bit as the overall tire diameter will be slightly greater (both will read slower/lower than before).
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    My 97 will need a new set of tires soon and I am trying to see which tires are good.
    I currently have Michelin, they are OK. I want to see what other band and model people are using and how they like it.

If I can get your feedback about the tires on your Camry, that will be great.
  • chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    used goodyears several times and the viva 2's at wal mart were great. cheap at $50 each or so for all the add ons and great wear/handling. Had uniroyal tiger paw somethings and they were great. have used michelin's made at a subsiduary called regal questas and they were great too. Have bridgestones on my new one now (really didn't like bridgestones or firestones) but they are okay for 1800 miles so far. have used kumos too and they were great.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    I had 01 camry and I used Regatta 2. I was very happy with them and now i have 05 camry and will buy the same in few years.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    Many people talk about radiator and transmission fluid change or flush. I understand what do they mean. In general flushing is more expensive but what is required for the camry maintainence?
    Flush the radiator, but just drain and refill the transmission, IMO.

You can use the old-timey way to flush the radiator if you're doing it yourself: drain and refill repeatedly with water until only clear (or nearly clear) liquid comes out. Then refill with antifreeze and distilled water.
    but make sure it's 100% antifreeze and not the 50/50 cause the block holds some of that water you flushed out with. I always had a hard time getting a full gallon of antifreeze in my 94 camrys after the drain, refill water, etc.. 3x or so. I always had to add the last pint or so in my resevoir. this way I was always about 55% glycol and 45% water. remember to drain, add water, ride it in your neighborhood (sitting idle takes a while to get to temps that will circulate the water through the block) and then drain, repeat 2x at least until the water comes out about colorless (clear is what your term was, slightly different). Anyway, for the trans, I agree. Drain, refill and then ride a few miles. Drain and refill and your good to go. I usually just drained and refilled and that's it but now my new honda (like the camry better), says drain and refill 4x with 3 qts to get an almost "complete" drain and refill with new liquid/fluid (about 94% new). Just costs money for all that fluid to dump and toss.
    Remember to drain, add water, ride it in your neighborhood (sitting idle takes a while to get to temps that will circulate the water through the block)

Just be careful doing this. I learned the hard way. You don't want the water to get too hot. I had a real "gusher" occur once with hot water blowing out of the radiator when I removed the cap. Luckily, Ford angled the filler neck back slightly toward the engine, or I would have been blasted with unexpectedly hot water.

I think it's safer to let the car idle, with the radiator cap off. It takes longer, but you don't take the risk of getting seriously burned. You know you've circulated the water long enough when the upper radiator hose gets hot.
    your points are well taken but sometimes the top hose doesn't get that hot just idling. also, I use a big rag or t-shirt or something to open the cap if it's that hot so the pressure is let out and I don't get scalded. I guess since I do this 3x or so, it takes less time to drive a block or two around my neighborhood to speed it up. Whatever works and you're fine with is okay.
  • sparkdog1sparkdog1 Member Posts: 1
    I like to use distilled water whenever I change the radiator fluid. No minerals to react with the aluminum or gaskets. I also use distilled water in the windshield res. Over an extended period of time mineral deposits will make a difference in the radiator and windshield res. I go to wally world or my local grocery store and pay about $.50 per gal. I usually keep my Toyota cars around 10 years before trading them. I currently have an '05.
    okay, guess that cost is nothing. I changed my anti-freeze every two years and flushed it. When my radiator went on one of my two '94 camrys, it was the plastic top, not the aluminum radiator. Pissed me off. Why couldn't they have metal tops??? Anyway, not sure if there are that many minerals in the water to ruin the insides and gaskets but distilled water definately doesn't have any. I think more problems occur when owners don't change the fluids for 10 years or so.

as to distilled H2O in the windshield resevoir??? the store brands have methanol in there to avoid freezing and to clean the grease from the shield. Do you mix distilled water with the blue stuff or go 100% water???
  • lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    Along the same lines.

I was able to get four Toyota 16" rims (8 spoke) from a 2002 Camry XLE. Will they fit on my 2005 Camry LE ? If yes, any suggestions on a long lasting touring tire.
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    lunarmist,

The wheels from the 2002 Camry XLE will definitely fit your 2005 LE. In fact I believe the Toyota website lists 16" wheels in the accessories available for the Camry LE. Regardless, no difference between the 02 XLE and your 05 LE that would prohibit this action.

As far as touring tire I've read some great reviews about the Yokohama Avid TRZ and Avid T4 tires ... not really sure if either is classified as a touring model, but I'm certain that Yokohama offers a touring tire. A good place to review tires is tirerack.com. Great reviews of hundreds of tires. Consumer Reports also just finished a review of all season tires that's very informative.
  • derridaderrida Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I'm new to the boards and have a question; I apologize if this has already been addressed.

My wife and I just got an '05 LE a week ago on sort of an impulse buy because it was a great deal. I know the car more than meets our needs, is of outstanding quality, is reliable, is the best seller in the U.S., etc., but after looking at it continually this past week, it just seems to need a little aesthetic help. From my pov, the 15" wheels are too small for the body. They make the main portion look a bit bloated and the wheelbase a tad too short. Anyway, my question is, do you guys think installing a spoiler would help, or would it just look goofy on those 15"s? I don't see this same problem when I study the SEs, but I know they're riding on 17inch wheels. Does anyone have any insight or comments? Thanks!
    I'm guessing you purchased a 4cyl ... I don't believe any of the 6cyl come with anything less than 16" wheels. I have the 4cyl SE with the 16" 5-spoke alloy wheels. They seem to fit the body better, but I agree the 17" wheels look nicer. You could look at ebay ... I usually see 1 or 2 sets of Camry 16-17" wheels for sale weekly.

I also have the factory spoiler on my car ... I like the look of it, fwiw.
    Ah, the problem of the impulse purchase...

Yours is the only opinion that's important. I have an SE-V6 with 17" wheels and spoiler and happen to think it's the best looking Camry. I agree 15" wheels look pretty puny these days. I guess it's all a matter of how much is it worth to you to improve the exterior appearance. Btw, you could check your local junkyard. They might have larger wheels in good condition cheaper than Ebay even. And don't forget the Tire Rack. You could probably get into a brand new 16" alloy wheel and tires for less than $800.
    Just my opinion, but I think spoilers look lame on family sedans. Sport coupes - okay, but not on everyday haulers. Like a rental car Malibu with a spoiler -- absurd!

As for the wheels, I'd avoid the junkyard. Wheels are too important for safety to buy used, especially if you don't know their history.

Yeah, the 15-inchers look a little small nowadays, but if you want to upgrade, I'd recommend going no higher than 16 inches. The proper tire size would be 215/60R-16 -- that's what the 4-cylinder SE and XLE trimlines use.

Again, for safety's sake, I'd recommend Toyota wheels from the dealer - sure they'll be more costly, but they'll have the proper dimensions, offset, etc., and your warranty and airbag deployment thresholds won't be adversely affected.

I think spoilers look nice on sedans.