Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

Comments

• igrigr Member Posts: 17
    I've put Michelin Primacy™ MXV4 on my Camry 2004 LE in September 2007. Good grip of the road and quiet ride. I've been driving with them through snowy Toronto winter and had no problems. The only con of these tires is price :(
  • jeep1988jeep1988 Member Posts: 40
    We are ready to replace the OE tires Bridgestone Protenza tires. I do not want to get them again as they did not last very long. Any suggestions as to tires that will last longer and not loose the ride quality.

We are looking at the Cooper CS4 H/V that seem to be recommended. I believe Toyota recommends the V-rated tire - why I do not know. Any suggestions on tires that will not cost an arm and a leg? Thanks.
    After doing some more research, Here is a list of tires that I have come up with.

Michelin Pilot Exalto AS
    Goodyear Assurance
    Sumitomo Touring LSV
    Yokohama AS430
    Cooper CS4 V
    Toyo - something (I cannot remember the name of the tire)

Any suggestions as to which would be best for a 2006 Camry XLE for ride quality, handling, and treadlife? Thanks for any help.
  • smythesmythe Member Posts: 10
    Same here (2007 LE I4 5SP AT). Discovered that front passenger side and both rear struts were blown at 35k miles. The guy at the tire shop said he's seen a lot of '07 Camrys with premature strut failures. The dealer replaced the front pass strut but not the rears. I think the driver side one has now failed. Not much oil on it, but it feels wobbly. I wonder of an internal seal has failed. I have also noticed that there is strange cupping appearing on the shoulder blocks of my new tires (6k miles). The alignment is recently adjusted and was pretty good to begin with, so I wonder if the replaced strut has now failed, so I've got bad ones all around, and that's what's causing that strange looking tire wear. The car definitely doesn't handle like it did originally...
  • busterbunnybusterbunny Member Posts: 16
    The dealer said have to rotate the tires. To me is a bunch of BS. Without rotating tires, it should not wear the way it does. Yes, i just met a friend who works for Toyota, he also said the struts they are using is "JUNK". Hopefully it's not over the milage for you to bring it back in for them to replace your struts. Smythe, please let me know how things went. Toyota should do a recall on the 07 camrys. After this issue and treatment I got from the dealer I bought from, I'm staying away from Toyota the next time I buy a car!
    Well, I did get new tires. I opted for the Sumitomo Touring LSV Tires....and.....boy and I glad I did. Man, these might be the best tires I have ever owned. I will definintley get another set when wear out, in about 60,000 miles or so.

The ride is great, they handle well in the rain; I cannot wait to try them in the snow. These are great tire for the Camry. We have a 2006 Camry XLE. I highly recommend these tires. The price is right too; about 1/2 the price of Michelin. :D
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    This past weekend, we made a trip to visit a relative (150-mile 1-way). We stopped by a gas station on the way there and upon inspection of all tires, we saw a nail about 1/2 inch sticking out of the right back tire. We managed to make it to a local Walmart store where we purchased 2 brand new Douglas Xtra-Trac II (215/60/R16) tires and had them installed in the rear. They were the least expensive ($65/ea). The nail was about 3 inches long!

Does anyone have any experience with these Douglas tires? I can't seem to find any reviews anywhere out there.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    What tires come from the factory on 2008 or 2009 LE I4 Camry?
  • justejuste Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the Sumitomo Touring LSV tires for my 2007 Toyota Camry and I love them! Great handling and quiet!
  • davidg10davidg10 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 06 camry LE with 15 inch hubs but i want to change that and put rims. I have 16 inch acura rims from about and 01 CL, before taking it to the get it checked out by a mechanic i wanted to ask and see what you guys think. Two things, first is it possible for it to fit and surely that means a change in tires and i should mention that both tires are 215's? and secondly would there be a way to change the center caps to toyota center caps if the acura tires do fit?
    Thanks in advance.
  • goobeegoobee Member Posts: 8
    You need to keep the overall diameter of the tires within 3% of the stock. What are the sizes of the 2 tires? For example, 215-15-60 has a diameter 25.15 inches and 215-16-60 is 26.15 inches which equates to being 3.83% larger than stock and unrecommended. In order for the 215-16 tire to fit on your car, you need 55 or 50 series tires. The hubs sizes for both cars are different, you would need hub centric rings to get a good fit. Post up the tire sizes and I can tell you whether or not they'll work.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    My 09 LE came with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 from the factory. Can someone comment how these tires hold up on the long run?
    Thank you for the immediate responce and i have to correct myself. The tires on the camry now are Goodyear Integrity's and are 205-65-R15. The acura tires are put on tires in my backyard that are 205-60-R16.
    And please tell me what you think about the centercaps?
    I doubt that acura centercaps would fit but if anyone can positively tell me that it will work then i am going to go ahead and put them on since it all depends on the centercaps because it would be really weird to have acura rims on a camry?
    Thank you
    The 205-65-16 is a lower profile tire and will result in a +1.96mph change in your speedometer reading. Fitment wise, it is approximately 3.2% smaller in diameter than the 205-60-15 tire which is not recommended. You'll probably be OK but most experts will recommend you to stay within 3% +/- from stock size.

As far as the center caps goes, the hub sizes between Toyota and Acura are different. As such, the center caps most likely will not fit.
  • jlong5jlong5 Member Posts: 5
    I currently have approximately 29K miles. All four tires are shot! Bridgestone Turanze EL400 P215/60R 16.

Any suggestions from anyone in terms of decent tires to buy? Not looking to get top of the line. Just something comparable with better quality.

Thanks
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    We recently got 4 tires at Sears. They were BFGoodrich Traction T / A 94V rated tires for about $100/ea.
    I just got 17 inch camry rims and i want to upgrade from my 15 inch hubs (205 65 R 15). What would be the safest tire size for the 17 inch rims?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    go to tirerack.com. Find the diameter of oriignal sized tire. Using that diameter, find the corresponding 17" size equivalent.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    If the Camry is made in USA, it comes with Bridgestone tires.
    If the Camry is made in Japan, it comes with Michelin tires.
  • igrigr Member Posts: 17
    My Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires are 1 year old (about 11,000 km driven). Have rotated tires recently and according to mechanic front were 9 of 32 and rear 8 of 32 worn.
  • adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    My Kentucky built Camry LE came with Michelin Tires
  • jph560jph560 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Camry LE V6 with 120,000+ miles. I need new tires--again--my third set. My problem is terrible traction on wet roads - almost no traction on snow.
    Any suggestions on a good wet weather tire? I've had this problem since I bought the car--hence the three sets of tires.
  • Aria200506Aria200506 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you have any advise for, if on Toyota Camry SE 2007 I can replace my current 17" rims to 16 " rims.

The issue is that I have 215/55 R17 all season tires and I am currently in the market looking for winter tires and 215/55 R17 tires are very expensive.

If I go with 16"rims they are less than half in price.

My issue is would the 16" rims fit my car as I am not sure on the clearance in the hub for the calipers, discs, ABS sensor and other stuff if I switched to 16" rims.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.
    Sure, you can go with 16" wheels/tires. The stock size for CE/LE/XLE models is 215/60/16 which will fit the SE fine. Just be sure to get wheels with the 5-114.3mm bolt pattern and offset around 38. You may need hub centric rings as well.
  • gshellgshell Member Posts: 4
    Just got a used 2006 Camry LE....60K miles...the tires are Firestone Firehawk GT size 205/65-15 92H M+S .. with like new tread on oem steel wheels. I have a lot of "road" noise! Very loud! What would you suggest for replacements? Need all seasons here! And what year and model wheels will fit so I can have a set of snows for the winter? Thanks :)
    I believe the original stock tire size for your Camry was 215/65-15. Who ever replaced them before probably got smaller ones to save money. Just keep in mind that your speedometer is slightly off, it reads a bit faster due to the smaller rolling diameter.

I replaced my high priced Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge tires because they rode harsh and loud with the inexpensive Falken Ziex ZE-912. I am very happy with the smoother ride and lower road noise. See my response 2 posts up for wheel requirements/specification. There are too many wheels on the market to list any specific ones.

You can move up to 17" wheel without too much ride quality loss. You can pair the 17" wheels with 225/50-17 tires for best results. Note that with 18" inch and above tires/wheels, you'll start feeling all the imperfections in the road.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Actually, 205/65-15 is the stock tire size for Camry base and LE models for the 2002-06 model years. All 15-inch steel wheels used for these model years are identical. I have a 2004 Camry bought new, and it came with this size tire -- the Goodyear Integrity brand was used in my case. These tires don't have the greatest reputation, but they were quiet and gave me reasonable tread life.

I replaced them with Hankook Optimo H417 tires, same size. These were also quiet, and were wearing evenly with no issues. More recently, before the Optimos had to be replaced, I was able to obtain a nearly new set of 2006 Avalon XL stock alloy wheels and tires, size 215/60-16. This size was standard on the 2002-06 Camry XLE and is standard on all 2007-09 Camrys except the SE. The tires are the infamous Bridgestone Potenza RE-92s, but the rapid treadwear others have noted aren't a problem for me.
  • lasercatslasercats Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Camry LE with the less than desirable six spoke wheel covers and I have found the 6 spoke alloys from an SE for pennies from a relative. They are the 17 inch wheels. Will these fit without a problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    They will fit without problems. Of course, you'll need new tires. The wheel offset could be slightly different if the SE wheels are from a pre-2007 model.
    They are from another 2007.
    Any recommendations on tires?
    The proper size is 215/55R17. As to brand and type, it really depends on your preferences. I'd suggest looking at Tire Rack. They have lots of info to help you decide.
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    I have an '09 LE V6 with stock 16" wheels and tires. I have new 17" rims coming in 3 to 4 weeks and need help deciding between tires. I originally posted this in the '09 Camry forum; but this looks like a place where I am more likely to get help -possibly from someone that has replaced tires on an SE V6. I have already done what 210delray said to do in his post #189 to this forum so I am caught between the two tirerack.com choices that they tested on a BMW and possibly experience someone else has with replacing tires on an existing SE with 17" wheels. Here is an edited version of what I posted yesterday:

I bought an ’09 LE V6 about a year ago and love it except for the cheap looking plastic wheel covers which I knew I would replace when the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 215/60R16 UTOG rated 260AA 94V which I projected at the time of purchase would wear out at around 20K miles. After 8K miles, I could no longer take looking at the el cheapo hubcaps so two days ago I ordered up a set of 17" Motegi US7 17x7 Brushed Aluminum Hyper Black wheels (with OEM 5.114 bolt pattern) which are on backorder and will arrive in three or four weeks. I will replace tires with 215/55R17’s - the standard size for the SE. I have tentatively boiled my choices to the Bridgestone Serenity UTOG 440 AA 94 V which meets OEM specs and carries a 50,000 mile warranty OR the Michelin Primacy MXV4 UTOG 620 AA 94H which does not meet the OEM V rated spec but carries a 60,000 mile warranty.
    Both tires cost about $750 for a set of four, installed with TPMS, computer balance, & tax. [The OEM Michelin MXV4 Energy UTOG 440 AA 94V is out because they cost $1050 for a set of four and get poor wet traction reviews on Internet postings]. TireRack.com tested both tires on a BMW and rated the Primacy slightly higher than the Serenity. Any advice or opinions on these two or any other tires would be appreciated before I just “flip a coin” to make my choice. I live on a school bus route that is 1.2 miles from a suburban Kansas City fire station where they keep the local snow plows so driving through snow and ice is not much of an issue. Thanks.
  • hvtec2002hvtec2002 Member Posts: 19
    Hello all,

I have the 17" rims and the stock tires size is 215/55/17. It is too much noise coming in the car and my friends told me to replace the tires with 215/60/17 and the noise will be gone. I understand it will give more rubber but will it ruin anything to the car? :confuse:
    I think you'll find the noise is more a function of the tire manufacturer, tire compound, and tread pattern.....than the slight size modification you have suggested.

Go check www.tirerack.com

And look for their assessments of tire/road noise
  • leejohn65leejohn65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 09 SE and I wonder if I can fit 19" Highlander 2009 on my the SE or not?Appreciate any help.
    P.S: Plz reply to this address hoangnam87@rocketmail.com.Thx a lots.
  • mitermiter Member Posts: 2
    The were on our 2007 XLE...90% highway driving...and need to be replaced now at 30,000 miles...disappointing to say the least.
  • mitermiter Member Posts: 2
    Replacing the OEM Bridgestone EL400 after 30,00 miles...looking at the Michelin MXV4 S8...Tire Pro says it replaces Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and said that the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 S was "inferior". Got over 50,000 tires on previous MXV4 Plus tires with a 99 Maxima.

Any suggestions...I live in Rhode Island...some snow concerns.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    New cars come with tires geared to low rolling resistance for better mileage and handling, but often at the expense of traction and durability. I try and trade right off the bat. I've been very happy with Goodyear Comfort Tread and Michelin Harmony. You also don't really need that H speed tire in most situations which will often save money up front and increase tire wear as well.
  • gshellgshell Member Posts: 4
    Hi ....Thanks for the info....I was given a pair of 215/65-15 snow tires and was wondering if they will fit on the front of the 2006 camry since the stock tire size is 205/65-15? Thanks :)
    They'll fit, but I wouldn't do it. It's not like the old days when you put snow tires on the drive wheels. Now you should use snow tires on all 4 wheels. It's the wrong season anyway to be using snows.

How about selling them on Craigslist?
  • iluvjesusiluvjesus Member Posts: 1
    Can I ask would a 235/55R16 fit on my 07 camry se? It comes with the original 215/60R16. I found my car a bit unstable under strong wind. TIA.
    I doubt changing the tires would help the crosswinds situation; save your money.
    Not sure what you mean by "unstable" but yes, the larger size will fit. I doubt you will feel any more steady in the wind as the side wall height of both tires are virtually the same (5.07 inches vs 5.08 inches). Lowering the center of gravity of the car may help you with wind buffeting (think Nascar and how low they sit) but just changing tires will not.
    "I found my car a bit unstable under strong wind"

You need a better excuse............
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    I'm thinking of buying a Camry XLE 4 cyl. I'm a nut about quiet on the highway, and I've seen posts recommending either Bridgestone Turenza Serenity, or Kumho Esta LX Platinum as being very quiet.
    Worth switching out for these at a discount tire place if it's a good deal?
    Yes, the OEMs are good enough. If you're lucky, you'll get the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires, which have worked well for me and a co-worker.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I agree with 210delray - I have the Energy MXV4 S8 - good for an OEM tire.
  • redevil999redevil999 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have BF Goodrich Traction T/A 94V tires and need to replace the front tires. I can only find the Traction T/A tires in 94T. I am not tied to this brand, but need to get something that will work ok with the rear tires.

Can you put 94H or 94T on the front if you've got 94V on the rear?

I recently got laid off, but can't put off getting front tires any longer. Can you recommend a reasonably priced quality tire that I can use with the rear tires that I am keeping?

I currently live in NC where we only get snow a couple of times a year. My plan is to move to FL after this winter season. I mostly just drive on the streets and I think I just need a basic Grand Touring All-Season tire.

Unfortunately, I just found out I have to go to Florida right away and have to buy the tires tomorrow. Can anyone make a quick recommendation?

I've been looking at Tire Rack.com, but am a bit overwhelmed. If I can get something for under $100 each, that would be ideal.
    Unless you intend to drive faster than 118MPH (the speed rating T), those would be more than adequate.

You'll be in Florida behind some old ladies, Your maximum practical speed will be 35!

If you shift brands and models, you want to keep the same tire on both right and left of the same axle, so the sidewall flex is the same. If you are pleased with your old tire performance and lifespan, I'd go get those T's tonight.