Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Tires and Wheels

12346»

Comments

• tnanningatnanninga Member Posts: 10
    With only 4000 miles on the car a sheetrock screw went through the corner of RR tire. After an extensive search I found the Toyo Tire (Proxies J33) was proprietary design. Replacement was only available at the dealer, I would have to pay $100 extra for the exact match, or buy two, so the tread pattern matched on F\R axles. It was a roll of the dice, bought one tire for just $300. The tires have a non symmetrical tread pattern with diamonds to channel water on the inside and grooves on the outside. Comparable models are $150 to $190. Now I wonder is the 5,000 mile oil change really free?
    Mandy, Two prior Toyotas had problem with the "Security lug nut. Now, I have the dealer remove them at purchase. Performance Tools makes a great tool that will remove even the most stubborn lug nut lock.
    Old fix I remember from decades ago, was to remount the tires of one side of the car so they rotate in the opposite direction.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    I am the original owner of a 1997 Camry LE 4 cylinder with 85,000 miles. I am currently running the OEM 14" wheels [195/70 - 14], however, someone gave me their set of 15" steel wheels from a 2000 Camry and I'm considering stepping up to the 205/65 - 15s for appearance value only. I would buy the same brand and model tire - Michelin Harmony as I've been very satisfied with my present set [60,000 miles]. The 15" wheel was standard on the V6 models of the 1997 Camry and became standard on the 4 cylinder LEs in 2000 - same body style.

So other than having to find a set of the OEM 15" wheel covers from the 97-99 generation, is there a downside moving up to the larger wheel and tire? Road noise? Less traction in the rain and snow? Harder ride? I believe the car would sit perhaps a 1/2" higher but that's just half an inch less that I have to bend down to get into the car. :)

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.
  • camry4markcamry4mark Member Posts: 2
    Just a thought. Michelin makes this tire in V and H rated speeds. Make sure you really have the V rated. They look identical except code on sidewall. V rated tires were used on these cars for handling characteristics with the suspension. H rated and softer make the car handle poorly including weird trackingt or swaying. Made this mistake myself. Good luck!! Also to those reading this, if you buy a Camry used, make sure it has correct tires. Used car dealers are notorious for installing cheap but new tires.
  • ncalerncaler Member Posts: 14
    The Tire Pressure Display shows 4 tires but doesn't say which is for which tire. Has anyone figure it out which is which?
  • kingofjazzkingofjazz Member Posts: 1
    Camry has a soft suspension set up and Primacy is also a soft tire that tends to feel softly everything; this combination is very prone to produce severe groove wandering that can be dangerous. Primacy is a good tire but ... you can't have "everything" in a tire.
  • vicmnvicmn Member Posts: 5
    My 2013 Toyota Camry XLE came with Bridgestone Turanza 93V tires. I got the 'tramlining' or side to side sway you talked about on the new and old grooved surfaces on our Iinterstate 35 here by Duluth MN. So,,,, I just recently swapped the Brigestone out for the Michelin MXV4 93V tire set and they are just as bad if not worse. 'S' rated tires on my old 2000 Camry LE and 'S' rated tires on my current Dodge Durango are/were no problem on this road. The Edmunds expert just now told me to try a different tread pattern in the same speed rating or one a notch lower ('H') that is similar to my other 'S' rated tire. Have no idea where to go with that, treads all look pretty similar to me.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    The problem is the spacing of ribs in the tire - compared to the spacing of the grooves in the roadway.

Go back to the dealer you bought the tires from and make a complaint. They should offer to replace those with something that doesn't do that - and they should know what works as this should have popped up as soon as the road surface was regrooved.
    Thanks.

The tires on my Dodge Durango are the Michelin Latitude, are a wider tire and indeed the grooves are farther apart and ride good over all the new and old concrete surfaces ob I35.

However, my old 2000 Camry LE that I traded off for this Camry XLE, had Cooper CS4 'S' rated tires with pretty much the same groove spacing as my current Michelin Primacy and they had no problems on I-35.

A friend of mine just put 'S' rated Michelin Defenders on 2009 Honda Accord and he has no problem on the highway as well.

I will be checking in with my dealer to see how the new Camry LEs are performing with their 'S' rated tires and try to get this problem fixed as you suggested.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I'm confused - the Primacy MXV4's are outstanding tires, highly rated by Tirerack and Consumer Reports. Because of the ROAD, some tires, depending on the width of the grooves, are better than others. So you are saying the dealer should give you different tires because of the road you drive on?
    No, I'm saying that.

Because there is no standard spacing for road surface grooving, it is impossible to get the groove spacing in tires 100% right all the time. It's a matter of cataloging which tire groove spacing causes problems - and then not allowing that into production. But occasionally they'll get this wrong. It's happened to all tire manufacturers and this time it was Michelin.

The reason the tires should be replaced is that you can't change the grove spacing in a tire and since the issue is caused by something in the tire, the tire should be cheerfully replaced by the dealer - and Michelin should be informed.
    I called the dealer and talked to the service manager and my original salesman. They said since I had replaced the original tires already, the new Micheline Primacy were no longer under warranty thru Toyota and they would not be able to cover any costs for a different tire. THe way they sounded in general, I felt like I was being stonewalled, i.e. neither one had heard of the immediate tire problems on the new Interstate 35 surfaces, even though the service bay managers sang an entirely different tune saying they had been getting a lot of complaints. The sercice bay guys also agreed with you that the issue is more tread related than speed rating differences. I'm not convinced. I need to find AND TEST a 'V' speed rated tire that works before I spend another nickel. BUT, one way or another this has to be fixed!!! The tire companies probably wouldn't pay back anything under warranty since there isn't anything physically wrong with the tires from a mfg defect stand point. I'll be talking to my dealer service manager face to face next Monday.

Thanks for help.
    vicmn,

I'm a little confused. You said you replaced the tires and THEN you had problems. Is that correct? If so, why would the Toyota dealer be involved? (Unless he sold you the second set of tires - and in that case, the warranty would apply).

But re-reading this, it sounds like you had a problem with the original tires, then replaced them, then complained. Wrong order. You can't expect people to help you AFTER the fact.

And it also sounds like you are continuing to have issues - and that means whoever sold you the last set of tires is on the hook for addressing the issue.

Yes, this is all about tread groove spacing and not speed rating. The speed rating might limit your choices, but it is not the sourcing of the problem (discounting the fact that the REAL problem source is the new pavement grooving.)

Nevertheless, ALL tire manufacturers would accept returns based on groove wander. However, some dealers may not be tuned in to how to do this. Call the tire manufacturer's 800 number to get this rolling.

And one last thing: Complaints about groove wander would be handled for fairly new tires, but once you've put some miles on - say 5K, then it may be difficult to convince anyone that this is an issue they need to be addressing.
  • brianmcneillybrianmcneilly Member Posts: 4
    I assure you, there is a problem with the MXV4 Michelin tire. The manufacturer has softened the side wall to allow for a smoother ride. In doing so, they side walls do not hold the car in track when any side to side move is made to the steering wheel. I formerly owned a camping trailer business in Colorado Springs. When I had a customer with a handling problem I asked them what kind of tires they were running. The best tire I found at the time was the BFG T/A radial. That was and still is a truck tire but it has 3 ply sidewalls. It solved so many towing problems, I would just recommend them to all my customers. Michelin will not admit they have a problem until someone forces them to legal action. My father in law put a set of MXV4's on his Toyota Prius and now is afraid to drive on the highway do to it's swaying and feeling of driving on ice.
  • nlwaldennlwalden Member Posts: 7
    do you have a 2013 Camry SE? I just bought one and the four tire display that Iv'e seen on the 2012 is mysteriously absent from my 2013.
    Hello,
    The tire pressure display doesn't show on my 2013 Camry XLE as well, called the dealer salesman, he was surprised to find out that Toyota had removed it for 2013 model year, just as well, the 4 tire display didn't identify which corner the tires displayed were actually on. It's the least of my problems with all the trouble I'm having with the Camry tire tracking on our I-35 interstate here in northern Minnesota. It will be interesting to see how the Michelin Defender 'T' rated tires turn out.
  • camry002camry002 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone tried the Yokohama YK580 tires? When we ckd. with dealership, they didn't see them as a tire they can get. However, Discount Tire in Madison has them.

What about Yoko Avid Ascends for a 02 Camry, all seasonal?
    Looking for a V rating.

Prob. giving up on Michelin because of soft walls, not holding up to mileage, high price.
  • httytcamry12sehttytcamry12se Member Posts: 1
    FYI, I am having Toyota Camry model SE year 2012 with GPS and JBL audio system.
    everytime I press information on CAR tire pressure from system and screen showing 4 wheel with tire pressure, but I do not know how to identify which tire is which since screen show all 4 wheels in 1 line o o o o
    Please advise
    When we test drove a 2012 XLE, the salesman said there is no way to tell which actual tire is being displayed. On our 2013, this display went away entirely, (to the surprise of our salesman).
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    This is an interesting read, I (somehow) just got linked to this off another web site based on new Camry reviews. I formerly used Edmunds for years, however after buying a new 2012 Camry XLE 18 mons ago I am maybe on Edmunds 5% of the time compared to Toyotanation.

But anyway, one reason we got the Camry XLE vs say a Legacy was it came standard with Mich Primacy tires vs the poorly rated Bridgestone Turanzas. The Primacy handle fine for me however I have not been up to Duluth with this car, most trips are in SE MN or over to Madison or up to St Paul areas. We have 25,000 miles on the tires now and they have 7/32 left so I hope to get 40,000 miles. (I have also read good things about the Michelin Defender series so may consider that for next purchase). Despite the above average winter ratings given by Consumer Reports and on tirerack.com, the Primacy is just ok in snow, but I have an SUV if we get more than a couple inches of snow in SE MN. I know there has been a lot of I35 work up in Duluth, did MN DOT switch their concrete surface patterns?
    Again, no problems on newer Highway 52, or MN/WI I 90 or 94 driving; I rarely get on I35 so cannot comment on that although they have done a lot of repaving S of Minneapolis this summer.

I am curious to what you ended up getting for the next set of tires and if they are better?
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92

I bought a 2014 Camry SE with 17 inch tires. Is it possible to put 16 wheels and tires on it

• RichNJRichNJ Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in putting 4x4 style tires on my 2004 Camry LE; Is this possible? If so, any recommendations as to brand and style? Has anyone else done this? If so, what was it like? Did it help in the snow (that's my goal)? Did it affect gas mileage on the highway/city?
    Thanks for your replies!
    I don't think there are 4X4 style tires in a size that will fit under the fenders of a 2004 Toyota Camry LE. The closest you can get is a winter tire, but I assume from the way you worded the question, you don't want to go there.

Also, fuel economy is highly variable because it isn't size that is the key factor in rolling resistance. However, directionally, 4X4 tires are worse.