Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Fuse and Electrical Questions

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm just going by the diagrams in the database, so I don't have the car in front of me. ALLDATA says all fuse boxes are under the dash, so I don't know what to tell you. We are talking about a '90 Camry right?
  • danspinelldanspinell Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Here are pictures of the box and the fuses that are inside. I hope the link works. Please let me know if you have trouble and I will figure out another way to send it.

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/danspinell/Fuse%20block/
    Yep you're right. That's called "junction box #2" and here I was looking for a fuse block.

Anyway, my diagram says that you want to check the 20A fuse for the dome and interior lights.
    I have already replaced that fuse. Could the problem be the actual box or wires connected to it? I have probably changed all of the little fuses in that box. If it is the box or connected wires, where can I get one?
    Is it possible to look BEHIND that box somehow? I'm wondering if there's all kinds of corrosion in there.
    It's very possible, my grandmother owned the car before me. I am willing to bet no one has ever looked there...lol. I will look tomorrow afternoon. What do I do if I find corrosion, how do I get rid of it?
    edited April 2011
    Depends on how bad, but if you can disconnect the battery and buy one of those little wire brushes that fit on the end of a screwdriver, that's a good start. Sometimes you have to replace the whole box and re-wire. They also make an electrical cleaner (often right next to the Brak-Kleen at the store) and maybe you can blast that stuff out of there
    (WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES!!!!!) :surprise:
    Thank you so much for your help. I will definately try that, hopefully I will be able to get that done some time this week after work. I will let you know if it works.
  • mdevlinmdevlin Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 camry had the drivers side window go off the track. Dummy me, I tried to put it up and blew something because now all four Windows do not work. My 30 amp fuse is good and my 25 amp door fuse is good. Is there something other than a fuse that I might have fried?
  • jam_injam_in Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 1993 camry staionwagon, and my interior lights for the dash gauges went out, and i replaced the fuse, and had a air bag light that stayed on, i went through and played with a few fused and the ecu-b 15 took that light off, when i pulled that fuse......... the fuse is good?? so now gotta figure out why that airbag light doesn't click off?? so it has something to do with the airbag...?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Fuses controlling that circuitry are:
    - 30A Power #1
    - 10A ECU-B
    - 10A ECU-IG
    Check fuses which supply power to the Airbag computer:
    - 7.5 A SRS
    - 15A Cig/Radio
    - 7.5A IGN
    Could be a bad sensor. In any event, you probably have no air bag right now.
  • mdevlinmdevlin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for identifying the fuses. All three looked good but I replaced them anyways. Still have the sane problem. When I raised the off the track window I blew something other than the fuses that makes all the windows not work. Do you know if there is something other than the fuses that could cause this? Thanks!
    edited April 2011
    There's a couple other pieces of electronics involved.

The body ECU computer, sends power to the "Power Relay" to turn on. That relay then allows the power from the 30A power fuse, to connect to both the master door switch as well as the individual door switches.

Verify that none of the door switch window switches are working. If the drivers master doesn't, but an individual door switch is working, then I would suspect the master door switch is bad. You can verify with a voltmeter whether you are getting power to the switches or not.

If none of the door switches work, then I would next inspect the power relay (and this is what I suspect might be bad). The way the relay works, is that you provide voltage to it's primary (+12 volts to pin 1, ground to pin 2), and that energizes a magnetic coil inside the relay. The secondary connection are pins 5 (which gets power from the 30A power fuse), and pin 3 (which supplies the power to the door switches).

With the relay out of the socket, and no power connected to the relay, the resistance as measured with an ohmmeter should be infinite between pins 3 and 5. When you connect 12v to pin 1, and ground to pin2, you should hear and feel the relay click. The resistance measured between pins 3 and 5 should now be zero.

If you don't have a multi-meter (could get one for 10-20 bucks at autoparts or radioshack), borrow one.

As a diagnostic technique it is technically possible to bypass the relay by temporarily shorting out the socket with a wire (pin 3 to pin 5 secondaries), but I wouldn't recommend that. If you mistakenly touch pin 1 or 2, you will either blow up the computer or blow the 30A fuse.

You can however put a voltmeter on pin 1 of the socket to engine ground, and you should find 13ish volts on that pin. That would confirm that the 30A fuse is good, as well as the wiring over to the relay block.
  • bigbean73bigbean73 Member Posts: 1
    After replaced valve cover gasket on 2000 Toyota Camry, and degreased and cleaned engine, Head relay is making buzzing sound? Just head relay bad, I assume that means head light relay?
    That is correct. That relay is turned on by the combination of the integrated circuit "integration relay", and the column mounted headlight switch. The head relay, when turned on, provides power to the headlights.
  • davecanadavecana Member Posts: 2
    I left the ignition on overnight in my 2004 camry. Tried to jump it in the morning and when I hooked up the cables the horn went off. Battery is now tested fine (even triend a new one) , lights will go on, and I get some lights on the dash showing the water indicator and door open but when I turn the key, no click and the engine won't turn over. No window power, radio, heater, etc. Wonder if I cooked a main fuse?
  • dprkr79756dprkr79756 Member Posts: 1
    there is a fuse box on the left side of the stering wheel. Mine looks like an ashtray. Pull that out and you will find fuses there also. That is where I had to replace fuses when my tails lights wouldn't work.
  • davecanadavecana Member Posts: 2
    Brought it to the mechanic and the main fuse was blown as well as the ignition and the radio fuse. Cost of fuses was $7 and $70 for the hour to figure it out. main fuse is tricky to get out and has a bolt going through it so you have to remove the fuse box to get it. Hope this helps someone else.
  • bugs8bugs8 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2009 Camry with digital radio display (not a navigation system) . Sound is working but no display. Can only change channels and modes by using the butttons on the steering wheel. If I touch any button on the radio the unit shuts off. Any ideas?
    Take it to the dealer, for a warranty replacement radio
    When my air conditioner is on, my car cannot hold highway speeds higher than 60mph. The further I try to drive the further I have to push down the gas petal to fight with the speed. Also, when stopped at a light, it hesitates and slowly gets up to city speeds. If I stop too fast, the car stalls.

It is fine when the AC is off. None of the problems happen.

I have changed the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires and the fuel filter.
  • amberlivesamberlives Member Posts: 1
    hi there, my driver window motor is totally shot and i can see it needs a total replacement however the passengers side stopped working but appears to be fine after taking of panel and looking at mechanism. when I use the window button I can hear power but nothing happens. Looked at fuse box on driver side but can't pull it out and no idea which fuse operates windows. Also my vent on sunroof opens and closes but my sunroof will not open all the way. It stops at about 3 inches then won't budge. I'm a do it yourselfer mostly but putting the whole window motor together might be too much hassle by time I figure it out. Looking for encouragement. Either way I have to purchase entire motor, it's totally shot and missing pieces on dr. side. Pax side look fine but doesn't work...THanks!
  • sid007sid007 Member Posts: 12
    A year ealrlier My head lights and doors stopped working for my 1997 Toyota Camry LE. I could track down the problem with the integration relay.I bought it from the junkyard and replaced it. It worked fine for a few weeks.Everything was working. But then one day it rained and I was back with the same problem. Everytime I turn the ignition there is a whirring noise inside the integration relay. The headlights /Taillights power windows don't work.The engine starts though. I am absolutely sure the integration relay went bad this time too.There must be something that is burning it out.possibly a short which happens when it rains.May be the water seeps in from somewhere that does this. How can I trouble shoot this.May be look for electrical shorts.But where do I start and how ? I will appreciate a solution
  • limsndlimsnd Member Posts: 1
    My turn signals and emergency lights stopped working. Everything else works just fine. I'm about to check all fuses, but I think they are fine. I understand it might be flasher relay. My question is, I saw pictures with the location of it, I just don't know how to remove the panel. Screws seem to be hidden. Is it possible to remove that panel without removing top panels? If so, maybe anyone has suggestions or pictures. Thank you.
  • gankhuyaggankhuyag Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Hi
    my toyota camry 1998 LE (no day light, V4) has no headlights, taillights and dash lights. No Power locks too. I checked the headlight relay and it is good (just put on another camry-same year 1998 camry LE). The 40 A fuse is also working. No power on 15A fuses (headlights fuses). I tried to be smart and shorted terminal 1 & 2 on the headlight relay socket (when i took off the head light relay) using a loose wire. I lights came on, but never come off by switch ( only front head lights came on, but tail lights no). Then I also shorted 3 and 4 on the same socket and the lights are not on again. I also double checked by meter terminal 1 & 2 on the socket - there is resistance. But on terminal 3 & 4 nothing. What shall i do? do you think that can be a problem of integration relay? PS: all fuses (except 15A), 30A working fine too!!!
  • josh61josh61 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I have a 1990 Toyota Camry, the first thing I noticed go wrong was the dome light went out, i checked the bulb and it was fine. A week or so later I noticed that the fan in my heat/air conditioner unit would only work on high. Later I noticed my break lights did not work, but my tail lights still did. I checked my fuse box and noticed that by break light fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and as soon as I tuned the car on it blew again. What would be causing all these problems? Could it be one thing or are they all unrelated?
  • josh61josh61 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot too add, but I do not think this applies. At about the same time as everything else went out, It wouldn't let me shift out of park. The only way I can shift out of park is to hold down shift lock button while shifting.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It's the brake light voltage that is used to energize the solenoid that releases the park shift position. Most likely cause is a shorted bulb filament, bulb base, or bulb socket.
  • pct108pct108 Member Posts: 4
  • pct108pct108 Member Posts: 4
    The Multi-Information Display on my 2011 XLE has developed a few problems. The OAT reads low by as much as 15 degrees. Fuel consumption reads 37.7 highway and stays there until I turn the ignition off. Average speed is low also. I tried disconnecting the battery for over 1 hour in hopes of a reset, no luck with that. Anyone experience problems with this?
    It also has the tranny problem as well and lately has developed a strong transmission fluid smell when the tranny is nice and warmed up.
    Thanks to All,
    Bill
  • jpcfmartinsjpcfmartins Member Posts: 1
    My AUX outlet appears to have quit working. I have tried new cables so it is either a fuse of the acutal outlet. Can anyone tell me where the fuse? If you have similar issue? How to fix it?
    Thanks
    Check your owners manual, it will show you where the fuse box is, and has the fuses labeled for you.
  • legalballerlegalballer Member Posts: 4
    All options running from my 1997 toyota camry electrical fuse box under the dash have stopped working. Any help? I have checked every fuse and all are okay. Was having trouble with alternator connection burning the connecting wire. Alternator checks out and good and have a new battery. i have seen two other posts describing the exact problem that I am having but could not follow the solutions given. I have traced the wires and harness but all look good. All the components from the fuse box under the hood work properly. Something is stopping power from getting to this particular fuse box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    battery installed backwards?
    No. I am certain that the battery is installed correctly. Keep in mind the headlights, horn and every thing else that is associated with the fuse box under hood works properly. But everything that is tied to the fuse box under the dash does not.
  • burnscjhsburnscjhs Member Posts: 1
    Did you get the answer to your question? I own a 98 Camry and it looks like we have the same issues. I just replaced the water pump in mine and now I have no power to AC, windows, gauges, Radio, or radiator fan. Also can not get the car out of park had to use to override button. I have checked all fuses and replaced fuses.
    No I have not. But it is the exact same problem. I also have to use the shift over ride button to get the car out of gear. No park lights stop light nothing. There have been issues described exactly as ours but no posts carried the conversation all the way through to the solultion. Someone out there has to know because it is an issue that has repeated.
  • vtsnowbird1969vtsnowbird1969 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    I just went out to start my 2005 Camry LE V4. It does not start nor is there any power anywhere. Fortunately I was able to unlock the car before it did this. I have never had a stick of problems with this vehicle before and I am original owner, It has only 61,000 miles on it. Would this be an electrical issue? There is nothing working on this car at this point.
    Thanks.
    edited July 2011
    Well by all means check for loose battery cables and clean and tighten those up.

If the car starts right up with a jump, then something has been draining your battery.

Once your car starts up, get it to a charging station. Don't let your alternator try to charge up a completely dead battery.

in fact, if you could charge the battery up a bit PRIOR to jump starting it, or instead of starting it, that would be safer for you and the car.

If you are going to be the one applying jumper cables to a battery that has been charging, wear safety goggles.
    I solved the problem we were having. It was the 100 amp fuse in the box under the hood. Although at first, it appeared that the fuse was not blown, once I remove the cover and attempted to test with a test light it was obvious it was blown. Heads up. You will have to remove the fuse box to remove this fuse. There are four plastic pins on the side with most of the fuses and two on the top part that holds the 100 amp fuse. Once these are removed the fuse has two screws that have to be removed. I hope this will solve your electrical issues.
  • crasecrase Member Posts: 7
  • crasecrase Member Posts: 7
    My reverse lights don't light up when shifting my manual transmission 2002 Camry into reverse. I checked all the fuses and didn't find a fuse marked "reverse lights."
  • rachelbabyy13rachelbabyy13 Member Posts: 1
    Very interesting! I have a 90 camry and I have had all the same problems! My fan only will work on high and the setting which is second highest. My brake light fuse has blown twice now and I keep having to replace it, about every 2 weeks. And when I have my car in park, it will not shift unless i press the shiftlock over ride button. Did you ever find out the problem with the brake fuses? It's just annoying having to keep replacing them. And I'm definitely not car savvy so I dont know how to find a short or any of that stuff.
  • andreimandreim Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 toyota camry the starter goes on and is shuting off the engine when i put it in Drive, not when i put it in R or 2 or L.
    I had a problem with the starter and i replaced it with a new one and it worked fine for over a week but after it the same problem started i couldnt start it then i changed the ignition switch thinking that that may be it but nothing then i foulnd the bad fuse replaced it and if i put the same switch for 5 A for the starter it blows off right away and tthe same with the the one for 10 A it doesn't blow only the 30 A one and for some reason when i put it in dive it starts the starter, what can it be that starts the starter and that blows out the proper fuse?
  • ecoli73ecoli73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2006 camry. When I step on the brake only the middle brake light lights up. The light bulbs both light up; but back up doesn't change light intensity. This happens on both sides; any clue as to what is happening?

thanks!
  • lisa1963lisa1963 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 camry won't start...it just clicks. I have headlights. Also noticed the other day (not sure if it's related because it has done it before) but the radio cuts off and all pre-set stations scramble. Also noticed the lights around my fan A/C controls aren't lit.
    First thing check your battery and battery cables. If the battery is dead, charge it up, clean and tighten the cables and then see if it starts. If it does, then you have to find out why the battery went dead (you aren't done YET). I would test the alternator output.

If your car's battery is 5-7 years old, it's past normal lifespan regardless of other issues.
  • lowertwinlowertwin Member Posts: 8
    Check the cable on the starter