Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Fuse and Electrical Questions

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The 100Amp'er is harder to get out. Read this forum up earlier, think it's post #127.
    Thanks kiawah. I don't hear any sounds when I try to roll up the window. Does that give me a clue as to what might be wrong? I'm a noob when it comes to fixing automotive stuff so forgive me if my questions are stupid

You'll need to get into the door, and see what's going on. At this point you really don't know whether:
    - switch and motor good, but window is binding in track or off track
    - switch is good, window able to move easily, motor is bad
    - switch is bad
  • v_ohriv_ohri Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am having the same problem. The power outlet is working but not cigratte lighter,clock as well as side mirrors. I have replaced the 15A cigarete fuse and I noticed one thing the fuse is blowing out continously. Whatever the new fuse i am inserting it is getting short circuit and blowing out again and again. I am not able to figure it out what is the cause.

Thanks,

Vishal
    Check the connections to the devices for a short in lighter, mirror switch, or clock. You're going to have to get behind each of those and unplug them one by one to see what eliminates the short.
    Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am suspecting the short in lighter because I was using the car vaccum from this outlet and suddelny it went off. Can you suggest me how to open the cigrate lighter hood.Also do I need to start looking from the cigratte lighter end or from the fuse end?

Thanks,

Vishal
    I'd start at the device end of the wiring, and at the lighter. Get to the back of the lighter and disconnect the wiring from it.
    Thanks again,

Is it really easy to open the cigratte lighter assembly and look for the wires or the car needs to be repaired by some tech.

Thanks
  • theocrookstheocrooks Member Posts: 1
    One day my 1990 camry's gas gauge stopped working. The next day the temperature gauge stopped working. (They are on the same gauge, each on taking up half the circle) I checked all the fuses I could find- the ones under the hood, and the ones at the drivers left foot and could not find a blown fuse. I was wondering if anyone knows whats up or knows where to get a diargram of the fuses.

I guess while I'm at it I'll ask another question. Does anyone know if I REALLY have to take my car in to the dealership after my friend hit the emergency exit switch? My automatic seatbelts will no longer come down Thanks for any help.

Theo
    There is a common 7.5Amp "Gauge" fuse, which powers water temp light, check engine light, oil temp light, fuel light, fuel gauge, tach, brake indicator, etc.
  • dchen2003dchen2003 Member Posts: 34
    I own a 03 4-cylinder Camry. My battery is still going strong, just like 4 and half years before. I just wondering now long can batteries last? I am planing to have a trip from Alabama to Atlanta GA and to New Orleans LA. The temperature is not cold in the southeast. Should I get a new battery before the trip? If I need to replace the battery where should I get it and what brand should I get? What are the factors of selecting a battery? Except looking at the batterey life indicator( the one shows red or green), how can I determine the battery performance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.
  • firstcar99firstcar99 Member Posts: 2
    On my 1999 camry remote i used to could start my car with the remote by clicking the green button twice but now only the unlock buttons work. Any Help Please?
  • firstcar99firstcar99 Member Posts: 2
    My CD player is skipping whenever I turn. I have tried cleaning the cd player with a cleaning CD, but no luck. I think some wires or something maybe cross up? I also found how to make the remote starter work. There was a toggle switch beside the brake pedal.
  • ml_333ml_333 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Camry and when I turn on the engine the car starts but there are no lights on the dashboard other than the battery light.. the door, windows, radio , lights all do not work. I even try to back out the car but the gear stick will not move so that I can put the car in reverse. I checked the fuses ( only the 10, 15 and 30 ones) under the hood but all looked fine ...the others I am not familar with...does anyone out there no the cause and repair for this problem... I will be stuck ..unable to get to work Monday with out a quick fix...
    Can you verify that neither your dome light, hazard lights, nor horn work.
    I have a 03 camry (4 cyl), the battery is still stock. Does anyone know what is the resonable life of a battery? I am going to a road trip and I just want to knwo is it the time for me to replace the battery. What kind of battery should I get? How to determine it is a good or bad battery (only consider CCA?) Are there any more factors to decide what battery to use?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You can have the battery and charging system tested for free at chain auto parts stores like AutoZone and Advance. Battery life is quite variable, but I'd think if yours has never been allowed to fully discharge and doesn't have any buildup of corrosion on the top, it should be fine. But I'd still get it checked out.

As for replacements, Consumer Reports publishes test results every fall. I think their last review was in the October or November 2007 issue. IIRC, the Camry uses a size 24 battery, one of the most common sizes. As to CCA, the Consumer Reports article has these values, and almost any replacement will likely have specs equal or better than the original equipment battery.
    Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will get my battery checked soon, and that will give me peace of mind during of my road trip!
  • creed5105creed5105 Member Posts: 1
    Man, thanks for this post. I just replaced the fuses on a 2001 Camry I just recently bought. Thought I was getting a decent deal and so I could live without the clock and auto-adjustable rear view mirrors for a while before I brought it somewhere to get them fixed. However, two replaced fuses and both are totally functional. Thanks!! BTW, I got the fuses from the spares that are stored in the larger fuse box by the engine.
  • rcordeiro12rcordeiro12 Member Posts: 2
    98 Camry- Turn Signals+Hazard dont work off all a sudden! :cry:

When I was driving one morning to church, I noticed my turn signals dont work at all! I dont know where this came from????? The hazard signals dont work either....
    I checked all the fuses, and they seem to be working just fine. No shortages.

If some could instruct me in this field, that would be greatly appreciated!

I work on my Camry all the time and keep her tuned up. Im finally stumped and admitting I need help!

Thanks for your time!
  • matt59matt59 Member Posts: 1
    On my 1995 Camry the left rear power window went out 2 years ago and the driver's side went out 2 weeks ago. The other two windows work fine. Where should I look for the problem to fix this? There is not even a sound when the switch is pushed.
    The circuit basically is comprised of a drivers door switch which handles all four windows, a switch on the other three doors that works in parrallel to the drivers swich, wire in the door jamb that flexs back and forth, and a motor/regulator in each door.

Open up a door, check your voltages, figure out whether the problem is the motor (getting the voltage but not moving)....or is some problem upstream (not getting the voltage to the motor), and work your way back to the drivers switch.
  • regorego Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am trying to do a DIY wiring in my Camry 03. I have run the wires and connected one wire to the fusebox, to one of the fuses with add-a-circuit. I need to connect the other wire to an earth.
    I tried looking inside or around the fusebox under the steering, but could not locate any nut that I can tie the earth wire terminal to. Can someone suggest if there is a nut or screw around the fusebox that I can use?
    Thanks.
    worst case you could go behind the left kickpanel, just to the left of the drivers foot.
    Thanks for the quick response. I will try looking there. Do you know if the fasteners are inches or metric? This might seem dumb, but this is my first DIY in the 4+ years of owning the Camry.

And thanks for moving the post. I realized that I should have posted here, but did not know how to move it as I could not delete the first post.
    Just FYI....when you post something, you have about 1/2 hour or so to edit or delete your own post. If you look at your post, in addition to the 'save' and 'reply' function, you will also have a 'edit' and 'delete' function.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Very good info - but once a discussion is created or a post is posted, it takes a host to move it to the right place and/or delete a discussion.

No matter, we're all in the right place now and we're glad to have rego on board and getting help. :-)

Thanks, as always, for your very valuable assistance in the Forums!
  • jsandstromjsandstrom Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Camry and seem to have blown the fuse for the secondary cigarette lighter. The main one still works fine, but I have no idea which fuse controls the secondary power outlet. can you help? I'm hoping to use it to keep my GPS unit powered. I'm one of those people who doesn't know much about cars, but should.
    Can anyone help? :(

Thanks,

Jonathan
    The fuse that controls the power outlet, is a 15Amp fuse. It is the top center of the main Junction Box (it's on the same box as the cigarette lighter fuse). It might be labeled *1. It is the fuse that is directly above the 7.5Amp fuse labled OBD.
  • jsandstromjsandstrom Member Posts: 2
    where is that main junction box located? Again, the neophyte checking in.......
    :confuse:
  • aojoca1aojoca1 Member Posts: 1
    I need help identifying the fuse for the backup light on the fuse box. When my car is in drive D, the R lights up as well on the board. Both backup lights fail to light up when I put the car in reverse. I have changed the two backup bulbs, still no luck.
    will someone kindly send me a schematic of the fusebox? thanks
    Look behind the dash, by your left knee. Check behind the tray. I thought you had said you checked the cigarette fuse and it was fine. I think your owners manual will have a picture and how to get at the fuses, if my memory holds correct.
    The fuse for the rear backup lights, is the 10 Amp fuse marked Gauge.

If the fuse checks out okay, then I would suspect the reverse switch, which is up in the engine compartment on the transmission.
  • dorothy04dorothy04 Member Posts: 4
    I can not figure out how to change the bulbs in 1996 Toyota Camry tail light is out, Please help!!
    Sylvia, I answered it over in the other QA area.

It's a 15A fuse, labelled Cig Rad, in fuse slot #8, on the backside of the junction block#1. Look behind the ashtray by your left knee to find junction block#1.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Thanks! And look... you earned points for answering the question there ;-)
    If you have the owner's manual, it will tell you (toward the back). Otherwise, you'll have to remove the trim inside the trunk to access the bulbs. There should be a kind of "trap door" for the outer bulbs (the ones not mounted on the trunk). Remove the door or trim, then twist the appropriate bulb socket one quarter turn counterclockwise, then pull straight out.

Then to remove the bulb itself, either twist slightly counterclockwise while pressing inward on the bulb, then pull straight out OR just pull straight out (I'm not sure what kind of socket the '96 model uses). Installation is the reverse. Try not to touch the new bulb with your bare hands -- use a cloth or tissue.
    Thanks Kiawah.

I finally found a sheet metal screw behind a small plastic lid below and right to the steering wheel. It worked fine.
  • slynn701slynn701 Member Posts: 1
    03 Camry...While rewinding tape, suddenly system "froze". word "tape" shows on screen. No buttons work, not even on/off switch. System remains "on" even with engine turned off, dial remains lit showing "tape".
    Went to dealer who had no time to diagnose but removed and replaced SAME fuse and everything worked normally once again.
    Later tonight, I was fast forwarding and exact same thing has happened. I have not removed fuse.
    Any ideas? Is it electrical? Is it the unit? Should I take it to the dealer? Should I take it to a radio shop?
    Appreciate any advice, Thanks
  • krrusskrruss Member Posts: 1
    The right rear electric window went out on my 2006 Camry CE. I was going to try the obvious things like checking the fuse. Unfortunately, I can't make sense out of what the owners manual indicates for fuses. To make sure I had the right fuse, I pulled the fuse that said it was for the window on the left door. With the fuse out, that window still operates. I realize this is unrelated to my original problem, but it is hard to troubleshoot when you can't rely on the information you have. Anybody have a vowel I can buy?
    There's actually 3 fuses which feed different parts of the power window circuitry.

- 30 Amp Power#1
    - 10 Amp ECU-B
    - 10 Amp ECU-IG

Check your krruss@carspace.com email. Go to Mailbox tab in the grey bar upper right corner.
    I know from removing it that the first fuse you listed (30 amp Power #1) controls all 4 windows plus the moonroof (if equipped). I had to do this to "initialize" the moonroof in my 2004 Camry (easier than disconnecting the battery).
  • arortizarortiz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and the interior lights don't work. The overhead light, the door lights do not work. I checked most of the fuses and they were good. Is there anything else to check ? The overhead light bulb is good so it is not the bulb. Help please.......
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Must be the switch in the door/door jamb. If you can pry it out you can pull off the two wires and touch them together and see if the lights then work. That would by-pass the switch.

How did you test the fuse and the bulb? Visually is not good enough. You should use an ohm meter to test for continuity through the fuse or through the bulb.
  • rvilesrviles Member Posts: 1
    I have read all the previous posts regarding this particular problem. However, I believe mine is a bit more unique. I have replaced the fuse, and as soon as I turn the ignition switch to accessory, or on, I can watch the pink 30A fuse glow red, and then fail. Takes about 2 seconds. Further research, shows approx 12 volts on the 3 volt fuse when power is applied. I feel there is a short in the system, or a window that is stuck in the up position, but not sure how to begin troubleshooting the issue without taking off all the door panels and disconnecting the window motors on all 4 doors.

Any ideas? :sick:
    Which 30Amp fuse are you blowing, AM2?

If so, then AM2 feeds the keyswitch, and then feeds 2 downstream fused circuits:
    - a 5 amp fuse for ignition coils
    - a 5 amp fuse for starting circuit, feeds first a clutch switch, then starter relay, then starter primary.

If this AM2 fuse is blowing immediately, try pulling the two downstream 5 amp fuses (they are in the circuit AFTER the ignition switch). If it still immediately blows (which undoubtedly it will since the fuses downstream are only 5 amp each and would have blown), your ignition key switch is probably bad.
  • ralphwiggum1ralphwiggum1 Member Posts: 31
    i recently replaced my battery, but my car still won't start. i'm sure it was a battery issue because the car started when my last battery was jumped. i think the factory alarm/ignition kill is preventing the car from starting--the horn sounds when i open the door, the alarm light is on, and i hear the alarm clicking. i don't have the remote and i haven't figured out how to bypass the alarm. would taking the alarm fuse out bypass the system? if so, where is the fuse for the alarm? any ideas would be appreciated.
  • rsd61rsd61 Member Posts: 1
    I need too require help identifying fuses however for the Rear Driving/Running Lights and Interrior Dome & Dash Lights Only. All forward lights, Backup and Rear Directionals all work but NOT the Rear Driving/Running nor Dash & Dome Lights.
    She has no Owners Manual for mt to look at. Does anyone know where to find a wiring schematic of the lights / fusebox? I have been told that there is a "Modular" that could be the issue. Where / what - I don't know. All the fuses look good.
    Please post reply here and email me directly @ roscoe.diamond@comcast.net and I'll post findings/results here for all.
    Thanks Again :confuse: roscoe.diamond@comcast.net
    - The dome light is fused with a 7.5A fuse called 'dome', which is up in the engine compartment junction block#2, on the inside of the left front wheel well. The dome fuse is in the lower left quadrant of the block.
    - The rear taillight problem could be either the taillight relay, or the 10A fuse called 'tail'. The fuse is on one side of the junction block by your left knee behind the ashtray, the relay is on the backside of that block. There is a row of three relays going across the middle of the block, and the tail relay is the one on the far right while looking at the relays. Can you verify that your license plate light is also not working...thanks

Good luck.
  • salsaqueensalsaqueen Member Posts: 9
    Hello! Both turning signals and the emergency lights quit working on my 01 Camry. We checked the fuses and bulbs and both are good. I was told I need to replace the relay flasher. Can anyone tell me where that is located? And is it complicated to replace?
    Thanks! Any advise you can offer is greatly appreciated.