Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Security System, Remote Start and Keyless Entry Questions

Comments

• hoppyjrhoppyjr Member Posts: 2
    Yes -

Since the seat fold-down release levers are in the trunk, all you do is remove the small metal key from the keyless fob, then put in in the trunk lock and turn counter-clockwise. This will lock the trunk and disable both the remote fob trunk release (for valets) and also disables the interior trunk release.

It's also listed in the owners manual, FYI.

Hoppy
  • youmeyoume Member Posts: 11
    Please read your manual. It is in there.
  • cgerlitzcgerlitz Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to test their theft deterrent system on the 07 Camry by rolling all the windows down and opening the car from the outside by sticking your hand on the inside?? I can't get my alarm to go off when I do that, any suggestions??

Chad
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    If the alarm was set when you did it, it should go off.
    You have to wait for the security light to flash before opening any door, trunk or hood.

Your owners manual says to take it to the dealer for service if it doesn't alarm.
  • cgerlitzcgerlitz Member Posts: 2
    The security light flashes as soon as you hit the lock button on the keyless entry, and it keeps flashing after that. The manual says it should blink then come back on after 30 seconds, but mine stays on forever.
  • youmeyoume Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I just want to know if you could open both driver and passenger door without turn on the alarm. On my TCH, the alarm goes on if i open the passenger door. It is ok if i open the driver side. My dealer said that the way it is. Only one door could be opened with key in the pocket.

I did not believe it is true.

Thanks
  • john_avogadrojohn_avogadro Member Posts: 2
    My wife remote started our Camry 2006 V6 LEand upon entering the car hit the brake before putting the key in. That shut down the car completely. The security system was factory installed. Now we can't find a way to start the car.

Now when I try to remote start the car, the lights flashes and for a few minutes the battery comes alive, but then everything shuts down again. I get the same results with the key in the ignition. Strangely, even after I remove the key and close the door, I can hear a strange purring sound of the starter from the outside. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nothing that's electrical on that vehicle works right now, including the door locks.

The car dealer wants me to spend $150 to tow the car, which I know will take the dealer 30 seconds to fix. They don't want to offer me any advice over the phone on how I can revive the car for obvious reasons.

If there's anybody out there that can offer me some simple advice about how I can revive the car I would really be grateful. I don't think there is anything wrong with the electrical system. My gut feeling tells me that somehow we need to kick start the security key system and there must be a simple method involving a few key combinations that will bring the car out of its stupor.
  • bugman61bugman61 Member Posts: 2
    The owners manual to my 2007 camry says that several keyless entry features can be changed, such as holding the trunk button to open, pressing it to open, or disabling it. Does anyone know how to do this without taking the car to the dealer? It shows how to change which doors unlock with the door proximity sensor, but everything else says to contact the dealer. Any help would be appreciated.
  • timmypootimmypoo Member Posts: 1
    Since the new Camry models have this anti theft system which shuts down the engine if stolen, would installing any random alarm system not given from the dealer possibly interfere with that system?
  • grizzlyboygrizzlyboy Member Posts: 1
    So I purchased a 2008 base model 2008 Camry without keyless entry. But I didn't realize that would miss keyless so much. I see that the security system is in the car. Can I just purchase the key fobs off of ebay and program it to the car?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No. The only security thing that is in the car now is the engine immobilizer system, so you would need to add keyless (about $200 aftermarket).
  • leejacstuleejacstu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Camry with an alarm system. I don't know if it is aftermarket or OEM. It goes off every time we open the car, or walk by it. We have to use the keyless entry to turn it off. I have been told to turn down the sensitivity on the sensor. If this is true, where can I locate the sensor?
  • snairsnair Member Posts: 1
    One thing to know for the CE Camry buyers (the cheapest Camry) if you plan on saving $1500 bucks by not getting the LE, don't plan on installing your own keyless entry system... (the only difference between CE and LE is the keyless entry system and power seat controls) - Toyota has PURPOSELY wired the CE so bad that you won't be able to install a keyless entry system yourself. I brought my new 08 camry to best buy and the tech was able to install a viper keyless entry system for me - BUT the lights do not flash on and off when you lock/unlock nor does the horn work when you click alert. Nor does the trunk unlock when clicking AUX. It only locks and unlocks. Nothing else. The tech at BestBuy told me everything was wired backwards and if he made it so that it would flash the lights, it would have short circuited the electronics system.

Looks like Toyota has the last laugh - and they purposelly did that to screw over anybody who wants a good deal.
  • desperado1desperado1 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter lost her alarm FOB and I purchased a new one on E-bay. Can I program/sinc this new FOB to the current alarm? If so, are there instructions somewhere on the net?
  • apostolicgirlapostolicgirl Member Posts: 1
    I purchased key fobs from ebay fro my 2006 corolla. They came with programming instructions. If your model of Camry is anything like my corolla you will have to get the instructions. You won't believe what is involved in programming, it's very simple but there is no way you can know how to do it without the instructions. You may be able to buy them online or you can take it to a dealer.
  • safetrip1safetrip1 Member Posts: 15
    I'm trying to get another key for my camry. The dealer wants $350 for it which is outrageous. Luckily you can get a new blank key for $80 at ebay but it doens't come with programming instruction. Does any one have info on that?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    There are two types of keys that will work on your Camry LE, the key with the integrated keyfob, and the valet key. Both of these keys have an integrated security chip in them, and must be programmed to work with the security/starting system. You can have up to 4 keys configured to work with your vehicle.

If you get a key blank without the security chip, your car will not start/run.

The non-keyfob valet type key blank, can be cut to be either a valet key(unlocks door and starts car), or a main key (unlocks everything including trunk, and starts car). Again, it has an integrated security chip. You are given one of these with the new vehicle.

The integrated keyfob is cut to be a main key. You are given two of these with the new vehicle. The integrated security chip is configured to work with the security system, the keyfob is configured to work with the door lock/unlock.

So 3 of the available 4 keys are currently issued to you with the new car. You can only add one more key. If you want, you could eliminate the valet key, and buy 2 keyfob type keys to have a total of 4 keyfob keys.

The dealer will charge you for a blank(two diferent prices, depending if it is a non-keyfob valet type key, or a keyfob), they will charge you labor for a.) cutting the key, to either the valet or main key, b.)programming the security (required for either type key), and c.) for the lock/unlock keyfob programming (if the key bought is an integrated keyfob).
  • zubamarkzubamark Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bought Camry LE 2008 with the keyless entry.
    How to integrate security alarm system by using same remote pad?
    The dealer wants $600 and sad It's possible.
  • trini19trini19 Member Posts: 1
    I recently graduated college and bought a 2001 camry le which i really like. I was wondering if I would be able to get an engine immobilizer system installed in it. Can anyone let me know? Would a Toyota dealer be able to install one as I still have a 3 year full warranty so don't want to install it outside and my warranty gets voided.
  • toyseqtoyseq Member Posts: 8
    Two keys came with the vehicle. Dealer wants $350 per additional key. I'm not sure if this is the same key system refered to elsewhere on this forum. Any suggestions on how/where to get additional keys, and implications?
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Try other dealers and let us know if you find a better price. Replacement Smart Keys are just plain expensive. It's one drawback to the system, imo. Lose it, drop it, spill coffee on it, have your dog mistake it for a toy, etc, and you may be wishing you had an old fashioned key.
  • larry1larry1 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2000 Lexus ES00. Maybe the key system is similar to yours. The Lexus dealers near me all acted as though the only thing they could do was to sell me a "remote master key" (which means it has buttons to open the door, trunk, etc.), and charge me to "program" the key, all for some outrageous price, like $400 per key.

I found a Lexus dealer online that sold me a "non remote" (no buttons) master key, cut the key to work with my car (using my car's VIN), and mailed it to me, all for $51. Then using instructions found on the internet, I programmed the key myself. (involves stepping on the brake and gas pedals certain numbers of times and opening and closing the drivers door certain numbers of times). Saved me $349 per key. But without buttons, I am FORCED to have to put the key in the lock. :)

You don't even have to have official Toyota keys. There are generic keys with built-in transponders that can be cut, and probably programmed by most locksmiths. Do some digging on the internet.
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I recently purchased a 2006 Camry LE, how can i tell if i have the engine immoblizer system? I dont see any security lights, was this an option on the LE models?
  • emonenaemonena Member Posts: 3
    Please who knows should help me with some answers. Does 2002 Toyota Camry, XLE 3.0L V6 engine come with keyless entry as a standard?

What about security alarm system for this car? Is it built with it?
  • tpassagetpassage Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 09 camry CE without the Keyless entry but has power door locks, any way to make it a keyless entry that is factory not after market?
    I'm not an expert on this, but I doubt it. I have the factory manual for my 07 Camry, and the door lock and wireless section of the manual is 270 pages. A lot of this is all computer controlled as part of the ECM, so I'm guessing even if you were able to add all of the missing components, you'd potentially have a different software load for the computer that you'd have to get done at the dealership.

I think the thing to do is to ask at your dealership's part desk, to see if there is a bill of materials available to purchase which adds the wireless functionality.
  • dare2dare2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2008 Camry from a used dealer. I was wondering what's up with the 1-800 number at the side on my doors?

If it was to get stolen, which I don't think they are. I call the number then what?
  • zubamarkzubamark Member Posts: 2
    This is information center. 1-800-GO TOYOTA (800-468-6968).
  • thefamthefam Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,

Just a quick thanks for having an awesome board like this, that the average person could go to to get answers.

I just purchases a 2009 Toyota Camry SE, that came with a manufacturer installed alarm system.

My question is, what would be the best (quality,affordability) Remote Start System to install?

And also is it possible to have the remote starte installed in the Key that came with the car (which only has buttons for lock, unlock, trunk and panic) instead of having those big clumpy remotes attached to the key.

i.e. Like is it possible to put it in the door unlock function button that when you unlock the doors then hold it down for five seconds the car starts....

Thanks in advance for your help... the board is great!

- Anthony
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 camry without keyless entry, Any idea to install keyless entry, not after market.
  • middlecogsmiddlecogs Member Posts: 1
    I have a camry LE of the same year, and mine is equipped with an engine immoblizer system. I was told at the dealer that is was a standard feature on the camry, and has been since 2002. :)
  • CSURamCSURam Member Posts: 1
    Both of my keyless entry keys do not work on my Camry LE 2007. It just happened recently. I push the lock button and the lights flash on the Camry. Here are the problems:

1. Both keys cannot open the car locks or trunk.
    2. Both keys cannot lock the car, but the hazard light flash.
    3. When I try to lock or unlock the locks via the button on the driver/passenger side it does not work.

What is the problem? Electrical?

It just happened.
    You'll need to take it to the dealership. Suspect the programming for the keys somehow got whacked up, but it could be a problem with the computer itself. They won't know until they try to reprogram your keys. Take ALL of the three original keys to the dealership (2 w/key fobs, 1 without fob), plus any others if you purchased them after the sale.

There are two programming connections that have to be made with the keys. Each key has an immobolizer chip in it, which the computer needs to be told which immobolizer chips should be allowed to start the vehicle. For the keys with the integrated keyfob, the computer then needs to be programmed to accept those wireless signals.
  • hvtec2002hvtec2002 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone installed these by yourself and made it work. I installed the remote stater first and it was working fine when i tried but it stopped after i drove the car around the block. I also installed the GBS for the car and neither are working. Please help! :sick:
  • bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    My wife just bought a 2009 LE with a dealer installed remote starter. I have received contradictory information from their service people about the remote starter overriding the engine immobilizer and therefor negating the insurance discount that comes with it. It would seem to me that the remote starter would not cancel the immobilizer function as this would be counter productive. The remote starter was a weekend throw in promotion so we didn't have to pay for it- just ask at the end of negotiatons. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • installermaninstallerman Member Posts: 2
    first, i have to know the remote starter installed in the car. what is the brand.
    also the engine immobiliser bypass system should not have been shut down. what i use is the integration units. i do not shut it down, only bypass it during the start cycle. what is done is that i use a module that learns the immobiliser code and incorporates it to the remote starter. it can only be activated with the remote starter during the start cycle, and cannot be triggered by an out side source. as always though the quality of the installations by most shops is not of the highest quality. i have the luxury of working at a dealership that affords me to take the time to do a precise and neat installation on all vehicles that i work on.
  • philb676philb676 Member Posts: 1
    By using wiring diagrams provided by UNGO and a cheat-sheet for the Camry, I properly connected all the wires. However, both lock and unlock buttons on the keychain lock the car. Even when I turn the ignition off or on, the doors lock. Will I need a diode/resistor for the unlock wire? If so, which one?
    Also, where is the tach wire (color & specific location)? The diagram says it's black and behind the driver's strut tower. However, I only found a black w/ a white striped wire. It's not allowing my autostart to keep the car running and the diagnostic light says there's no tach signal. Any help would be appreciated.
    In adding an aftermarket device to your vehicle, you are really dependent upon UNGO for the very specific instructions if they are to work in your year and make Camry.

The door lock and unlock 'relay' (actually an integrated circuit board), is under the dash on the passenger side. Not sure where (and how) you are connecting in to the door lock circuitry, which wires you are connecting into, and how the UNGO is supposed to integrate/work with that circuitry.

I've always found aftermarket add-on's to be pretty iffy, given that vehicles are different in how they control the different functions in the car. It can be different from year to year (like one year of Camry to the next), different from one model of a manufacturer to another (like Camry to Corolla), certainly different across manufacturer.
  • vasanivasani Member Posts: 2
    hi i am looking for tech wire too, for toyota camry 1996,
    I am trying to install AUTOSTART Remort start ,I did find out tech wire
    please give me hint if you know
  • vasanivasani Member Posts: 2
    hi i have toyota camry and i am looking for black Tack wire
    please some one help me. There is no black wire at check connector
  • jasisonfirejasisonfire Member Posts: 1
    hey guys i am in need of desperate help with a keyless entry remote. on the weekend my mate pushed the button on the remote a few times which locked and unlocked it a couple of times. now the remote doesnt work at all but the car still locks and unlocks with the key. i was wondereing what wouldve happened and if anyone on here has experienced something like this and could help. thanks jase
    - If you have a second remote, check to see whether that works okay or not. If the 2nd one works okay, then you know the problem is in the keyfob itself. Try changing battery, and making sure any key buttons aren't stuck.

- Using the door buttons, check to see whether the lock and unlock work. If the inside door buttons don't work, then you may have blown a fuse.
  • peaches71peaches71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Camry XLE. I bought it in December 2005. Recently I noticed that the keyless entry fobs have not been working as well and when used I would get more than 1 beep from the car when it used to be just one. I changed the batteries in both and they were both working sporadically and now they are not working at all. I changed the batteries again but no change. Could there be a problem at the car and not the remotes? Could it be a fuse? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • theblade20006theblade20006 Member Posts: 1
    I had the dealer install a Toyota remote start in my new 2010 Camry. The range is terrible and you can not tell if the car is running till you arrive at it. It works at about 30 feet away, but by the time you press all the buttons you need to start it you can be at the car. A friend just bought a new ford truck with a ford factory remote start and his works at about 300 yards. Does anyone know what the range is for my Toyota remote start? The dealer did not know the range and none of their accessories pamphlets had any range listed. when I contacted the phone number on the little instruction key tag the lady told me 2-3 feet. Really who would spend $500 if you had to be next to the car to start it. I told the lady she must be wrong and she accused me of not taking her answer as advice
  • dofferdoffer Member Posts: 16
    Our remote and key were stolen for our 2000 Camry XLE and we need some assistance on how to proceed. We still have the remaining remote and key--should I order a new remote and key from the dealer and have them reflash the existing remote and key (and spare) along with the new ones? Consequently, the worst case scenario would be that the thief could enter the car, but couldn't start it. I assume I will get hosed on this deal, but don't know what else to do. I contacted a local locksmith and he said the dealer is the only one who can reflash the security code on the car. I'm sure this must have happened to others and wanted some advice. Thanks :(
    Take all existing keys and remotes to the dealer, buy the additional keys or fobs that you need thru their service dept/parts, and they'll program the system to match what you now have. The lost key and fob will be worthless (unless you find them, and then take everything back to the dealership again, to get reprogrammed a second time).
  • dofferdoffer Member Posts: 16
    Thanks kiawah. :)
  • dino31dino31 Member Posts: 1
    my both remote controle for camry 1995 sedan 2.2 csx stopped working i bought new remote from toyota and i tried to program it but it didn't work , and the man who works in toyota told me it will not work coz none of the remote working. my mate told me there is a way ( manualy ) to make the new remote controle works .i can open the car and drive it but it will be good to have a remote if u can help me to programe the new remote send me an email telling me what to do . thanks alot..dino 31
  • tigeroltigerol Member Posts: 1
    need to know how to override antitheft so I can start my car'''''

desperate
  • bigrob2010bigrob2010 Member Posts: 1
    For no apparent reason my keyless entry system abruptly stopped working. 4-yr old Toyota Camry kept in good condition: no accidents, no new installs, etc.
    Paid $200 to the dealer to diagnose it & they could only intermittently fix it by jiggling the wire harness connection to the computer chip. It stayed "fixed" for 1 day, and hasn't worked since. The dealership says their only other idea is to replace the computer for $800.
    It's not worth paying any more money to fix this problem, I'm just hoping it isn't a wire short that could eventually cause other problems to happen!

Anyone else ever seen this?