Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Audio Questions

Comments

• mrdoonmrdoon Member Posts: 9
    I don't know if you've found this out yet or not but there was a time during the 2007 model year that Toyota used an iPod connector instead of the now standard "mp3 connector". When that was the case, you could indeed use the controls on the steering wheel to control your iPod. Unfortunately, for those of us who own iPods, we lost this functionality for the sake of compatibility with all mp3 players.
    I have been a Sirius subscriber for the last 3+ years but when I purchased my new '08 Camry SE, I didn't purchase the upgraded JBL stereo with the CD changer/bluetooth, sat. ready/etc. Does anyone know for sure if I can swap out the basic stereo for the upgraded stereo using the same wiring, connectors, etc.? If nobody knows this, can somebody direct me to where I can find the wiring diagrams online? Thanks!
  • brendrewsmombrendrewsmom Member Posts: 4
    I too bought an 08 Camry SE. I did get the upgraded stereo w/bluetooth and all, but still have not been able to get my sirius installed. After alot of work I have finally gotten the part #'s and someone that will be able to install it. The total will be $475.00 (the equipment alone is $300.00). I am told that if you do not have the upgraded stereo, you can't use the sirius through the head unit. I was told you have to have the satellite botton on your stereo to make this work. Asking around, I was told the only way to make it in dash and compatible (through the head unit) is to purchase an after market upgrade that will run about $1000.00 and then the price of the Sirius unit (installed and after market should run around 475.00). I was told that there is additional wiring needed if you are going to make the upgraded stereo work..also they said that you need to make sure you get a "fit kit". I know this probably isn't too much help, but Good Luck and Best Wishes on that Camry. I love mine!!!
    I appreciate the info - it's not what I want to hear but I suspect that it's the way things are. As much as I miss having Sirius, I won't pay nearly $1500 for the pleasure. Oh well, I guess it's time to break out the CDs again! Good luck with getting yours installed...
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    mrdoon,

First of all, I would MAKE SURE that disabling the stereo unit doesn't affect the vehicle's warranty whatsoever. That is the most important thing to check out.

Second, you should be able to use all of the same wiring if you installed an aftermarket cd player, dvd player, nav system, etc. There are a lot of different wiring harnesses and such.

You may need some special modifications or moldings on the dash. The factory head unit is rather large, and most aftermarket parts are not that large so some custome work may be required.

Make sure you don't void the vehicle's warranty by doing anything yourself.

Good luck!
    Thanks.
  • amnjamnj Member Posts: 3
    I'm having this same problem with my 2008 Camry. I've only had the car for 7 days so I'm quite frustrated. If you happen to find out what the problem is and if it's something easily fixed please let me know.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I am sure any dealer would be able to fix it under warranty.
  • flycast1flycast1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Camry without a owners manual. I see the radio has a MP3 logo on it. How do I get the MP3's played? Do I use an iPod, a CD with MP3's or those radio accessories?

What is the way to play MP3's?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    - you can put in a cd, which has folders of mp3 files in them. They will play after pressing the cd button on the radio. You can also play regular old audio cd's as well, but a cd doesn't hold many songs that way.
    - you can have mp3s on an ipod, and connect the ipod with a cable to the plug that is in the back of the trapped door storage area underneath the radio. There is a 12v outlet and aux-input plug in there. They will play after pressing the aux button on the radio.
    I make "data" or "mp3" cd's and play them in the cd player. Depending on the size of the songs, I can generally fit 120-140 songs on a cd. I've been listening to the same few cd's for months now.
  • kerstinpkerstinp Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an iPOD and would like to use it in my 2007 Camry using the aux port, but can't find out what cable to use to connect it and where to get that cable. Does anyone know what the aux connector is called and where to get an iPOD-to-aux port cable? How about the name of that cable?

Thanks!
    You can get the cable many stores, I got mine 18 months or so ago at Radio Shack, and posted the pn and price. As I recall, they typically are about 5 bucks or less, and come in different lengths (like 1 foot and 6 feet). I got the 6 footer, so the kids in the backseat can play whatever they want, and gives them something to do.

It's basically a male-to-male plug. If you look at your headphone jack that plugs into the ipod, it's that same connector on both ends of the cable. Get it Radio Shack, and I'd bet BestBuy, CompUSA, Target, Walmart...anywhere technology accessories are sold.
  • eugene08eugene08 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any help on the following.

I've just bought a new '08 Toyota Camry LE, and while the car has many good things about it, I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the stereo system. Even my friends who have '07/08 Camrys agree with me that the sound is thin, muddy, distant, and cold. I've tried altering the Bass/Treble EQs and the front/rear balance but the general quality remains poor.

Brief history: My previous car was an '03 VW-Passat, which came with a 'MONSOON' system. That one was excellent, with a very rich and powerful warm sound.

Since listening to music is crucial for me, what are my options? I spoke to some of my friends, and they gave conflicting advice:

1) One said that the key issue is the head unit, the in-dash player itself. According to him, sound quality greatly depends on that; so I should look into getting an Alpine or Kenwood CD player.

2) Another (sales guy in a store) told me that the main problem is the speakers+amp. The head unit itself isn't the main issue, and I should really upgrade the speakers. He confirmed that many Toyota owners came to him complaining of a distorted and quiet sound.

As proof of his words, and an explanation for why Camry's sound is poor, he pointed out that the tweeters in a Camry are adjacent to the windshield (a very stupid location), whereas normally -- for a bright and 'close' sound -- they should be on the side doors, as they were in my VW-Passat.

3) Yet another option is to ask the dealership to install JBL for me. The JBL system comes standard with an XLE. But, the guy at my local dealership told me he's "never heard of anyone doing that for an LE" (I find it hard to believe that most people don't notice the bad stock sound, however). Will that be more cost/time-effective than other options?

Any comments, advice, or experience much appreciated. Thanks
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Take another LE with the same stereo system out for a drive and see if the same problem is there. Maybe you have a speaker or system problem in YOUR car..........just a thought.
  • chalupadropchalupadrop Member Posts: 2
    I have an '07 LE with the JBL system installed as an original factory option. In a word, the system is awesome, sound, function, bluetooth etc. I dont know if they can install it after market or not, as they would have to install speakers in the dash, doors, and deck. If it is possible, can assure that you will be satisfied with the sound.
  • maj4maj4 Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased an Ipod and want to play it in my camry. I have found some information very helpful on the site. After reading about what type of cable to go and purchase I am still having problems getting the ipod to play thru the stereo. I have the male to male cable...one end plugged in the ipod the other in the console of car. I have turned the ipod on and then hit the auxillary button on the stereo and nothing happens. No sound at all. I have checked the volume on radio is fine..any suggestions as to what I may be missing??
    Turn up the volume on the ipod.
  • fo60445fo60445 Member Posts: 1
    Hey eugene08!! I just purchased a 2008 Camry LE a few days ago and I agree the radio system really sucks. The sound quality is VERY poor. My last car had a BOSE and I guess I took it for granted.

If you really want to replace it, I would start by purchasing some good quality speakers. However, if you are looking to achieve some great results, I would replace the whole system.

Me, personally, I'm not in the car enough to warrant such an expense. I'll deal with it, but Toyota needs to step it up.

F
  • tnrtnr Member Posts: 10
    Does the LE come standard with the JBL sound system?

Katie
  • texas6texas6 Member Posts: 1
    I am assuming that the aux jack size is 3.5 mm which is the size of the aux.jack for the IPOD Nano3? Some have said the size of the car aux jack is 1/8" which is smaller than 3.5mm when converted to metric but I am assuming that the difference does not make a difference.
    Katie,

The JBL stereo does not come standard. I have the JBL stereo in my car and is is soooooooo much better than the standard stereo. I like loud music and a lot of bass, so the JBL stereo definitely rocks.

Sit in two camrys with the regular and upgraded stereos, you'll be able to tell the difference. lol.
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    Did someone really ask if the JBL came standard with the LE - after someone just said it was an upgrade? Okay, back to to some other stuff.

It is a shame that so much effort is required to get SAT radio installed into a unit that is "sat ready". I had bought a kit and when I found out that you had to take half the car apart to install it, I opted out and sold the kit. I now have my XM plugged into the power port behind that little door, and all the extra wire stuffed in there. The sat attenae wire does run up the front and sits on the front dashboard. Not pretty, but it works just fine. A side benefit is that it takes 20 seconds to remove it and use in another car when if we travel or whatever.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I notice the 2009 Corolla comes factory-equipped with a color-matched satellite antenna on the roof so you don't have to deal with an ugly antenna installation if you get the XM radio installed. XM is standard with JBL or with the nav system on the 2009 Corolla.
    Not only does it look much better when using this antenna, it saves on amount of labor required at the dealer when you get Sirius or XM.

Is this happening with 2009 Camry also?

If not, what is the cleanest and neatest XM exterior antenna install you can get on a 2009 Camry with JBL?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The Toyota web site lists $449 for XM (plus installation).
    What are people actually paying (total cost with labor)?

Is the dealer the best or only place to get XM fully compatible with the factory JBL stereo installed?
  • mmayrinckmmayrinck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Camry LE V6 standard radio, changed the speakers 4 6x9 polk better than the JBL GTO that I had in the previois Camry 2005 and added a subwoofer with own amplifier, sound pretty good, but I wanted to change the radio for JBL w/bluetooth....going to the point I bought the JBL radio w/bluetooth on ebay like new, when I finally took the original radio found out the some conectors on the back are different from the JBL.
    Anybody can help me
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone tested the 08 According premium sound system vs JBL in the 08 Camry? I am currently has the JBL, and the sound is very good, and the bluetooth speaker phone is wonderful too. I know the Accord does not have the bluetooth except the with navi system.
  • soundfreaksoundfreak Member Posts: 1
    i previously owned an 08 Accord V6, but traded it in for an 09 Corolla with the 440-Watt JBL stereo because i needed to downgrade for financial reasons. Let me tell you something now: i don't miss my 2008 Accord at all. To me, the Corolla is just as good a ride as the Accord, plus now i have bluetooth without the need for a navi system, AND the best thing is that the JBL stereo system totally blows the Accord's 270-Watt "premium" stereo system right out of the water. Honda still doesn't get it in terms of the stereo part of their offerings. They continually install [non-permissible content removed] PAPER speakers and subs into every new generation Honda they manufacture, just like that f ' ed up 8" sub in the new Accord which distorts so damned much (even at low volume) that i was afraid it'd rip (or blow) at any time without warning. My music sounded hollow in the front and paper-stretched out in the back. Honda's sound system has always sucked, and it's actually gotten worse this year, come to think of it.

As for the Camry, i didn't have a chance to hear its JBL system, but in the Corolla, it was almost pure musical bliss even if it lacked a sub. The music was so much cleaner and more pure, and the separation/sound-stage was almost PERFECT !!!
  • liquidpremiumliquidpremium Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my stock stereo with a Panasonic unit so that I could have a Sirius receiver connected directly to my stereo to get interference free sound. I had the basic OEM system with no aux. jack or cd changer. The Panasonic unit that I have sounds a million times worse than my Toyota stock radio. :mad:

I'm not sure what to do. If I put my old system back in, then i wasted a lot of money and don't have sirius.

a) should I put the old Toyota radio back in and then get Sirius via an FM modulator? Will that still require an aux. jack?

b) I also would like to listen to my iPod in the car. What should I do?

c) I was thinking of installing a fancier Toyota factory system like the one from the Camry XLE with the CD changer so that I could have an aux jack. Is that a realistic idea?
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2009 XLE and tried to connect my Ipod to the stereo through the Aux input. The sound was awful! The volume had to be cranked up on the stereo just to hear the Ipod sound. This was the case even after turning the volume up on the Ipod itself.

Has anyone else had trouble with the volume on the Ipod when running it through the Aux input?
  • rsantan1rsantan1 Member Posts: 11
    Nope. Ipod sounds great on my 2007 SE V6. Make sure the cable you have is good quality and connected properly to the iPOD and the AUX input jack.
    Nope, works fine...use it all the time.

Would suggest isolating the problem, by trying a different cable, and a different ipod. Make sure you are using the right cable, check closely the plugs on the end, that they have the correct number of metal partitions (each one is for a different internal wire), and that the diameter is correct.

The plug on both end of the cable, should look exactly like the regular ipod earphone jack.
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    It was the cable. I went through some old cables I had and found one that worked perfectly. I had bought a brand new one at Radio Shack so I figured that should do the trick. The plugs were the correct size and the connections were tight. But the cable must have been bad. Now, it sounds great.
  • lagirl1lagirl1 Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a 09 XLE with a JBL audio system. Almost no sound comes out of the woofers in the doors. When we brought the car to the dealer, they compared the sound from the speakers in our XLE with another XLE on their lot - the speakers worked the same in both cars - so they said nothing's wrong with the system!!! Am I crazy? When I turn up the bass and turn the high and mid range down, more sound comes out of the mid range speakers in the dash than out of the woofers in the door!! This can't be right. Help!! What should we do? How can we convince the dealership that's not how the audio system is supposed to work???
  • robinn37robinn37 Member Posts: 1
    My iPod sounds fine when I play it using the AUX adapter in my 2009 Camry. However, if I also connect it to a charger placed in either of the 2 power outlets, there is noise coming through the speakers. Therefore, I can either charge the iPod or play it, but not both at the same time. I tried the same iPod, cables, and charger in someone else's 2008 Avalon, and there was no noise when both playing the iPod and charging it at the same time. Any suggestions? I am going to contact the dealer this week but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks.
  • chrisg43chrisg43 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my 1999 Toyota Camry will lose the radio memory when i shut the car off about 75% of the time. I have checked the fuses and the battery all is ok. Any info would be greatly appreciated
    There are two fuses which feed the radio power circuitry, the 20A Radio#1 fuse, and the 7.5A Radio#2 fuse.

The 20A fuse is connected to a buss which gets it's power from the fusible link block up in the engine compartment, thru the main 3watt fuse. That is connected to the battery.

The 7.5A fuse, gets it's power from the ignition switch when turned to accessory or ignition position. So this power is expected to get turned off. Doubt this would be a problem area for you.

You should check the 20 Amp fuse, and might also want to check for corrosion and continuity on the fuse buss...although I would think you would have other problems if the fuse buss was a problem.

If those fuses turn out okay, then I would check that the voltage at the 20A fuse is at least 13Volts.You may have corrosion in a cable or connector somewhere which is dropping the voltage too low.

If all of those check out, then your radio might itself be the problem. Personally, I'd hang a voltmeter off of the 20A power feed at the radio and watch it carefully when it fails, before I'd run out and replace the radio. If the voltage stays up at the correct voltage and you loose the stations (from the power dropping on the radio#2 fuse as it should), then the radio would be the problem. If the voltage off the power feed drops too low, then you need to back up thru the circuitry to measure where you are dropping the voltage.

You should also recheck your battery voltage with a digital voltmeter, just to make sure it's up where it should be.

Good luck.
  • timcamtimcam Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the 2009 Camry LE I purchased yesterday. The sound is horrible. The 2006 Solara I traded in had much better sound. The sound I have now reminds me of cars I had in the 1980's. What's really scary, though, is the account given at the site below, a guy who hated his 2008 Camry sound system enough that he replaced everything with $1,500 of pretty good gear, and still has mediocre sound (though at least vastly improved). He fears the speaker placement may be part of the problem.

Some of the posts at the other site suggest that JBL is not producing much quality these days. I don't know enough to comment, but if the Camry systems are any indication, that assessment is correct. You might try pushing all the sound to the front speakers to see if you like that any better, and maybe jack up the treble to +2. Shouldn't have to add much if any bass. Good luck, but I fear we're screwed here. A nice car with crap sound. How sad is that. http://www.camryforums.com/m_10578/tm.htm
    It is very sad. I am continuing to pursue the issue with Toyota. So far we've been told that the system performs the way it was designed. If that's the case, they need to go back to the drawing board. Their own advertising says the system provides "dynamic bass response." http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_camry/default.asp From their website: "The new Camry is the first Toyota to take advantage of JBL’s new Distributed Subwoofer System (DSS), which optimizes base response throughout the cabin in unique fashion, utilizing 4 unique, high performance 6 x 9 inch woofers in the front and rear of the cabin to accomplish this feat." The problem is, the sound from the front woofers isn't as advertised - it's distorted - not even close to "dynamic." I don't know what the fix is. I think it may be that there isn't enough power to push the woofers. In any event I will continue to complain until something is done about it. I hope others will too. Toyota and/or JBL needs to step up and fix the problem. I shouldn't have to take money out of my pocket to fix their faulty design and/or equipment.
  • tomi21tomi21 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an 07 SE V6 in Dec 07 and I have had my stereo replaced already for the same reason mentioned above and that was approximately 2 months ago. Well I had my car into the dealer for some warranty work and as I pulled out the radio would not change - turn off on. I turned around and went back to the dealer to show them that this was happening again and what do they suggest. I did not have my ipod plugged in and have not had plugged in for a while but this is getting really old to have this happen - any suggestions. I am calling back on Monday to set up another appointment - somehow I do not feel the problem will be resolved with another replacement if the first one didn't work.
  • jferreljferrel Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased on 09 LE with the standard stereo and aux jack for the ipod. We are thinking about installing a new stereo that has bluetooth and navigation, don't have to have xm or disc changer since we can connect the ipod. I called the dealer and was told it was around $1600 to order and they told me to look into the aftermarket somewhere else. We have found several sites online, including e-bay, to purchase the system and install ourselves. Has anyone done this and how did it turn out? What brand of system was purchased and installed? I really don't want it to look as if it was not a factory installation. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Three months later, after much effort -- and even after we were told by Toyota that all XLE audio systems sounded like ours (and no thanks to the service dept. at dealership in Opelousas, LA where we purchased our 09 XLE) -- we were able to get a second Toyota rep to evaluate our audio system. He brought along a rep from an audio vendor. They listened and also ran a test mode on our system and found that the amp was not performing properly. Thank goodness someone finally agreed with me!!! I was beginning to think I was crazy. The amp has been changed and it's made a big difference. My music no longer sounds "unplugged." I am happy with the outcome, but I am not happy with the fact that it took so much time and effort to get results.
  • rataeratae Member Posts: 1
    I have a camry 2004. Does toyota sell new MP3 players and install them?
    ratae
  • harpofworshipharpofworship Member Posts: 2
    I have had problems with my CD player for a while now. I'm a single mom and went the easiest route - I bought a used one, same model. So all I have to do is switch them out.

However, I have looked and looked online and can't find out the steps to take apart the dash to get into the head-unit area. I found a couple of sites for similar cars, but I'm really hoping to find step-by-step instructions for a beginner like me - without having to pay anything. Any ideas?
  • rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    What year is the Camry with the bad CD player and need installation instructions?
  • harpofworshipharpofworship Member Posts: 2
    2004 - and yes, I need installation instructions.

Thanks.
    message #9,10,11 in this forum has instructions.

I replaced radios all the time on late 90 Camrys and it sounds like the procedures are the same.

Use a screwdriver with tape covering the tip and pry up on the edge of the plastic trim around the back edge of the console gear shiter, left and right side. Then work around the rest of the piece until it comes out completely pops up. Next remove the 4 bolts that hold the radio in place. You need a 10mm size socket with a ratchet or a Phillips screw driver will work if you press hard.

Let me know if this is good info or not. When I see a 2004 I'll know if this info is the same for a 97 removal.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    Is the jbl option worth it or could I do better with an aftermarket speaker/amp setup for around the same price? I'm looking for a refined quality, not boomy sound...thanks
  • yvonne4yvonne4 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have a wiring diagram to help us wire a radio into our car. was bought used and does not have radio
    I don't have the diagram handy, but I can tell you the wires usually without stripes are power on, power accessory, power lights for face plate.

Id would buy a cheap voltmeter from Radio Shack, $4.00. Hook it up to the wires one at a time and go through the positions on the ignition key, and the power from the interior light fuse for the lights on the radio.

Car volts are not harmful you can put your hands on the battery post, Neg. and Pos. and you won't get shocked.

I have a spare radio but haven't trouble finding the right connector for it so I can use it in my old car, and wire it up to the the wires that are there.