Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Audio Questions

1235»

Comments

• Karenls1956Karenls1956 Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery on my 2009 Camry XLE V-6 with the Navigation system and JBL. How do you keep the radio stations displayed on the screen so it doesn't disappear in 10 seconds? I have searched the manuals and internet without a hint of how to do this simple task.

Also I am having a problem finding the "sweet spot" setting up the stereo sound and was wondering how others set it up. I know it's a personal preference...but I prefer hearing all speakers.

Thank you!
  • lagirl1lagirl1 Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like you've got a defective system. I own a 2008 Camry with the JBL system and the radio station is always displayed.
  • amorrow0amorrow0 Member Posts: 5
    I have the Camry XLE JBL head unit with dealer installed XM radio and the text for artist and selection does not scroll sideways to expose the full information.
    8 of the 10 characters that can be displayed at once seem to load and no more.

Is this the normal behavior of that unit's display?
  • maninveilmaninveil Member Posts: 1
    I have recently bought a Clarion DXZ585USB for my 2008 Camry LE. I have never installed an aftermarket stereo unit before and the Clarion manual ask me to have everything prepared before tear up your dashboard.

So my question is, do I need to buy something else before I can start? Like some dash kit and wiring harness?

Thanks for any information!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That is a question that would be better asked on the Clarion website, since they're the ones making the aftermarket stereo.

Given the integration with the steering wheel keypad switches and the wheel speed sensors/combination meter, personally, you wouldn't find me tearing apart the dash to install a different radio. There are 6 different fused circuits feeding the radio circuitry (or items/devices that are input to the radio circuitry). I'd hire a professional shop to install their branded/supported radio that they assure will work with the vehicle yr/brand/model/trimlevel/existing radio option wiring, if I absolutely HAD to have a different radio.

Good luck!
  • dfitzpatrickdfitzpatrick Member Posts: 1
    hello,
    my dad just bought a 2009 camry LE and he said i could hook my ipod up somewhere in the car. so i checked it out and im not sure what kind of cord i need.
    HELP!!!
    It's a male/male cable. You need a cable that has the type of jack that plugs into your IPOD (like what is on your ear buds), on both ends of the cable. You can buy them at Radio Shack, probably even Walmart. You'll find the place to plug the cable in the car, inside the flip open area directly ahead of the gear shifter.....all the way inside on the 'front' wall. See the owners manual.

Get a 6 footer if you want the kids in the backseat to be able to control the music, otherwise a 3 footer is fine.
  • Karenls1956Karenls1956 Member Posts: 2
    After trying the earphone cord purchased from Radio Shack I found that the sound was okay but not great so I did some research and found this "Cables To Go 35508 4ft iPod-Compatible 3.5mm to Dock Connector Audio Cable" at Amazon.com. I tried to get it at Walmart, Radio Shack, Best Buy but only Amazon had it and it's well worth the money. It sounds so much better using this then the other.
  • theroyalmiketheroyalmike Member Posts: 7
    I am trying to find information as to where I find the speed sense wire in the cabin on a Camry LE 2007
    Thanks in advance
    You'll need to explain what you are trying to do. You talking about the speed sense wire from the transmission, which tells the computer how fast the vehicle is going?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    has anyone upgraded the base radio on a 2006 Camry LE with radio controls on steering wheel? I'd like to add a radio with an HD tuner, satellite radio and has an "aux" jack. Also is it possible to replace the antenna with an aftermarket antenna?

thanks
  • odugsodugs Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I want to add an ipod interface to my LE could anyone tell me the best ones and the best deals out there for purchase and installation?

Also, I am interested in a stereo that has one or all of the following: bluetooth and or navigation equiped. Please advice also on devices and prices. Thank you. I appreciate the help.
  • cpebach6cpebach6 Member Posts: 1
    It is sad, very sad. I listen to classical and if you try to listen to anything with any kind of dynamics, you do indeed pay a price. I was thinking of contacting JBL directly and inquiring about replacement drivers (speakers) that hold up. Another thought is what is the actual power of the amp. The spec says 440 watts? I would like to know what the continuous power rating over what frequency range at what value of distortion? If you play the system at low levels then it isn't an issue.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    several years ago in an edmonds test of mid-sized cars, the reviewers rated the jbl as the best of all stereos in the tested vehicles..wonder if jbl quality has dropped lately...
  • lzklzk Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2007 camry - sedan model CELEXL. I can't figure out if it has Bluetooth capacity or not...the manual talks about Bluetooth, but how do I know if my model car has Bluetooth? thanks for your help.
  • madman09madman09 Member Posts: 1
    i have a cd/cassette jbl player factory. about 5 weeks ago, my stereo went completely out. no power no sound no nothing. my friend was going to give me a kenwood exelon cd player. i bought the harness and it hooks up fine, even though the harness does not have 2002 on it. my friend hooked the kenwood cd player and the player will play but no sound is coming out of the speakers. and i know my car year normally does not have jbl because my book that came with the car does not mention anything remotely close to factory jbl. all it mentions is my setup or a 6 disc changer set up. thats all. i believe it is the amp but i am wondering if i replace the amp to another toyota jbl amp will it work or is it even the amp. my factory radio has not worked since it went completely out about 5 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP ME! I'M LIKE LL COOL J, 'I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUTH MY RADIO!"
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    Does anyone know if toyota will soon be offering a HD radio option, either from the factory or dealer? If not, is installing it to the factory stereos possible?
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    Can you scroll thorugh playlists, albums without atually changing the selection? It seems when you scroll down the playlist, where ever it lands it will change to that playlist. Is there way to set it so your just browsing and can then select the playlist you want?
  • campbekecampbeke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Camry XLE, purchased new. One or more bands on the radio (e.g., both FM bands, the AM band, all three XM/Sirius bands) periodically goes silent. I have full display -- can see song/artist info, score in a ball game, etc. -- but have no sound. Sometimes this resolves within a few minutes; the longest outage I've documented was more than 30 minutes of XM/Sirius silence.

The dealership replaced the original radio unit, absolutely no hassles. But the new unit has precisely the same problem. Obviously, this is pretty minor matter; I could listen to another band or put in a CD. But when I want to listen to a ball game and can't get XM, then it gets serious!

I've searched Edmunds and the web generally, but found nothing similar. Any suggestions (beyond just living with it)?

Thanks.
  • donmac1donmac1 Member Posts: 1
    When I put a CD into my player it rejects and accepts repeatedly for about 5-6 times then accepts but the screen shows Err 3. Can anyone throw any light on this problem?
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    I'm wondering the same thing about the XM radio not seeming able to scroll. I have a 2010 XLE. I can't live without seeing what year various Shaun Cassidy songs were released. :cry:
  • only07carysewionly07carysewi Member Posts: 3
    I have an Se 2010 Camry and I am using an Ipod touch via the usb jack in the Camry. Every so often or more often than none the radio displays an error message stating usb device or Ipod not operating correctly please check device. I then have to disconnect the Ipod from the usb jack then plug it in again for it to work again. Any ideas or do you have this issue?
  • only07carysewionly07carysewi Member Posts: 3
    have an Se 2010 Camry and I am using an Ipod touch via the usb jack in the Camry. Every so often or more often than none the radio displays an error message stating usb device or Ipod not operating correctly please check device. I then have to disconnect the Ipod from the usb jack then plug it in again for it to work again. Any ideas or do you have this issue?
  • thepro1980thepro1980 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    Well with the JBL system the doors are 6x9s and the rear deck has 6x9s as well, in the dash there are tweeters. As far as the regular system, the doors have 6x9s as well and the rear deck is the same. The main difference is the tweeters in the dash. As far as power the jbl system will have more power, how much I'm not sure. Most of the time they run an amp in the jbl system that puts about 45 to 50 watts to each speaker, which will sound better then the stock non-JBL system. The appearance on the other hand is not much different between the two. Hopefully I have helped.
  • thepro1980thepro1980 Member Posts: 6
    In some cases the factory radio will not recognize the after market cables for the Ipod. It is quite common in most factory radios. Either you can deal with it or upgrade.
  • matrimblematrimble Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2007 Camry with aux input. We have purchased the 3.5 male to male cable and have plugged it into an ipod and an mp3 and can't get it to work. What are we doing wrong? Its is like the stereo is not seeing that the cords are plugged in. Please help.
    edited April 2010
    did you select the aux input, on the radio? and turn the volume up on the mp3 player?
  • matrimblematrimble Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I did. I don't even see that aux was selected on my radio. I keep hitting the cd/aux button and nothing happens.
    edited April 2010
    Assuming the audio volumes are turned up on both the ipod and the radio, and you selected the aux input, then I'd suggest you buy another cable.

Either the cable you have is bad, or you bought one with the wrong plugs.

It's been a couple years since I bought the cable, but I know I posted the part number somewhere in these forums long time ago. IIRC, I think I even bought two, one at radio shack and another later at walmart. We have one that is 6 foot long that reaches the back seat, and a shorter one for front seat occupants.

The plug was the standard size (at the time), that fit our mp3 players and headphones. I know my new blackberry has a thinner diameter plug, which is not the correct diameter.

I'm suspecting you may have the wrong diameter plugs on that cable.
  • raghushankarraghushankar Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Camry with JBL Premium sound . When i play my mp3, for most of the songs i get rattling noise from back speakers while bass is rich. Its getting worse day by day. (the same CD/song used to play good six months back). Toyota dealer said once that the way i ripped my MP3 is the problem. But it plays good in other cars and more over the same song played good few months back. I think the cover on top of the speaker is making the rattling when bass is heavy. The base is only in '3' when it keep it in -1 it goes away. Is it the way its supposed to work ? any help?/advice please.
  • swampdragonswampdragon Member Posts: 35
    I just leased a 2011 Camry and wanted to get XM radio running on it. I had XM on my Pilot and had mentioned the sales people that I liked it.
    I spent about a half hour on the phone with XM trying to activate my car but they couldn't find any record of it. Didn't make any sense to me.
    I spoke with my sales guy and he didn't help and eventually had to speak with the dealers customer service head.
    He (with a lot of attitude and some confusion) explained to me that my car was xm "capable" and that meant I could buy and have toyota install a receiver (behind the radio (with satellite written on it ) for about $350 and then I could subscribe to XM. I was fine subscribing to XM but thought that Toyota is running some kind of scam selling cars that are XM capable without explaining what that means. He also suggested I go to bestbuy and have them install XM and they dont install on factory toyota units.
    Am I the only one making this complaint or do other know the difference when they buy the car?
  • madhouse22madhouse22 Member Posts: 1
    This issue is very difficult to explain. I think my amp might be shorting out or not always working. For instance, I may listen to my ipod and have the bass at -2 and 30 is VERY loud. Other days I can listen to the same song, but I have to turn the bass to 0 and up to nearly 40 just to get the same amount of volume. It is very noticeable. I'm having to adjust my bass daily and the volume always fluctuates.

Today, when I left work, my setting was -2 and volume at 27. I changed from aux to radio, and back to aux, I had to adjust the base to +1 and volume to 39 just to get the same quality of stereo as before... Make any sense?? If you can give any suggestions please do.
  • 05camgurl05camgurl Member Posts: 1
    i have a 05 camry se and i want to upgrade my radio system so that i can have aux output. my current radio is JBL... what options do i have as far as replacing my old system?
  • mprice1947mprice1947 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2010 camry and was sold this radio/stereo package. I want to hookup a mp3 player for audio books to listen while I travel. Any suggestions on mp3 players that work great.
  • duvalcounty904duvalcounty904 Member Posts: 1
    2009 Camry with regular audio system.
    :cry: I turned my car on (the radio stays on i never turn it off) and the cd popped out. The radio won't come back on, doesn't give error message. A radio display is flashing. The manual isn't giving any help. What can I do to figure this out without taking it to the dealer?? Help!
  • gman2774gman2774 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue. I had a 08 Honda Accord that was fully XM capable. I just got a 11 Camry LE as a company car and was excited to transfer my XM from the Accord to Camry. Went to Best Buy and was told the same story. I think it sucks that Toyota advertises the car as XM compatible when it's really not. It's only about 50% compatible. I'm not going to spend the xtra cash on a fleet car.
  • birdman16birdman16 Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 Camray keeps losing the signal for the sat. radio. Display says "no signal" and after several minutes will say "Loading". Have taken to dealer and they cannot find the problem. Suspect the problem may be the ant. Can I install an aftermarket ant. and where does it connect to the receiver? This problem may occur several times a day. Dealer cannot duplicate the situation. This happens when the vehicle is on the open road with no obstructions above vehicle. Also this is a factory istalled unit and vehicle is still under warrenty

Thanks

Birdman16
    It's under warranty, don't mess with it or you may void the warranty.

Keep taking it back until they replace the radio and antennae if necessary. Have video phone available to record symptoms when you are driving, so they can see it occurring, since they can't seem to replicate it. You may have to open a record with toyota corporate help desk. Keep excellent records of every date/time it fails, every dealer repair, etc.
  • robertdavidrobertdavid Member Posts: 6
    2007 Camry with JBL audio system. Recently (never did this before), when using an MP3 player plugged into aux jack, I get a whining noise which corresponds to engine acceleration. In other words, when coasting it is barely noticeable but gets annoyingly louder as I accelerate. Any ideas on how to remedy this will be appreciated.

David
  • catmom41catmom41 Member Posts: 1
    We have a new Toyota Camry2011 SE we are having problems with static on sirius and am-fm when we are in car it is intermittent The radio has been replaced by dealer and we are still having the same problem
  • onyx2005onyx2005 Member Posts: 5
    Did you tint the windows? some of the new tint carries metallics that can affect radio/sat transmissions
  • robertdavidrobertdavid Member Posts: 6
    Figured out my problem. I was using the dc power source that's adjacent to the aux input. Once I plugged the ac adapter into the power source on the console, the whining stopped. I guess those 2 being that close together was causing interference.
  • birdman16birdman16 Member Posts: 2
    Follow-up. Dealer installed a new antenna and no more lost signals. Been working great for over a month. New antenna fixed the problem. If you are having a simular problem with XM radio I suggest you try a new antenna
  • robert011robert011 Member Posts: 1
    Had similar problem, was in radio. Keep getting radios that work with the bluetooth or SAT, not both. Radios seem to be a piece of crap. Heard that new company is supplying the 2012s.
  • mmichaud9mmichaud9 Member Posts: 1
    i recently installed a custom gps unit in my 2009 camry le. when i was done i realized that the shifter lights and the temp control knobs dont light up. i believe there is a seperate wire for these two that plugged into the back of the oem stereo, am i right about that, because if i am i m gonna have to rewire and reroute them. just need to know it thata the problem thanks
  • ruizj91ruizj91 Member Posts: 1
    is anyone here familiar with the asl settings ?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    asl = automatic sound leveling. It just turns up the volume a little when going faster, and back down when slower. The higher you set the asl, the more it adjusts the asl.