Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Navigation System

124»

Comments

• nananomnananom Member Posts: 11
    Anybody knows where '10 camry navigation disc is located and which version it is?
    Thanks in advance for all help. :confuse:
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The DVD map disc is located inside the navigation (in the dash). Find the open button, touch EJECT DVD on the screen and the DVD pops out. Piece of cake. To reinstall just load it back in label side up.

The version will be printed on the the top of the DVD... you probably have V9.1 or V8.1.
    V9.1 is available at any Toyota or Lexus dealer. Toyota part number is 86271-GEN23-09 or PT219-GEN23-09 for Lexus.

Please be sure to eject the old map disc and verify nothing is coating the bottom of the DVD. If its clean (no scratches, fingerprints, grease, etc) I might suspect the navigation unit has failed.
  • 193912940193912940 Member Posts: 9
    I'm purchasing a 2011 CAMRY with NAV. Does it have the capability to add your own personal poi's or add/insert a card with my personal external poi's on it?
  • knarlydknarlyd Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a used 07 Camry Hybrid with the NAV and I'm trying to determine which version maps I have in it. How can I find this out so I don't waste $$ to find out it already has the latest dvd version? Dealer wouldn't give me a dvd, only said I had to buy it if I wanted it.
    Also, I test drove some newer Camry hybrids with NAV and found that some of the newer camry nav units not only displayed NAV info, but also the fuel economy, etc info as well (kinda like the Prius units.) Can the 07 nav screen display this somehow? My dealer said no. If not, can it be updated to do this with a dvd?

Also, is Toyota pretty much the only place to buy the dvd updates? Don't really have $300 for it if that's what it costs.
    You can add stuff to your address book.... whether it be personal or POIs.
    First, the 07MY Camry does not show the mileage info. Only the 07' Camry Hybrid has this ability. Just like the Prius because of a special connection to the vehicle for hybrids. The new 11MY Camry has this connection standard.

Second, the map version you have can be found by ejecting the DVD. Its most likely V6.1.

Third, the map updates are available for $199. The only information updated are the mapping information and business listings.
  • stu16stu16 Member Posts: 1
    Eclipse makes one, go online and look it up
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    What really is a pain in the butt with Toyota and Lexus is the complete lock out feature their systems have while in motion. Every review I've read hate this lock out because its ridiculous, if you have front passengers that you have to pull over and park everytime you need to use it or change something on your route, which happens all the time when your traveling or looking for something. In their current set-up, even though I could afford it, I would never get a nav system in a Toyota or Lexus because of this stupid lock-out. If defeats the purpose of spending all those thousands of dollars on those factory systems.

Nissan/Infiniti is kind of in the middle with their nav. Its very easy to use and it only locks you out of a couple functions while the car is in motion but several things are still available in motion if you have to change them. Plus, their system is the easiest to use of the big Japanese 3.

Honda/Acura has the best system, in regards to graphic quality, no lock-out of anything while in motion, etc.

Toyota/Lexus should really take a clue from Acura/Honda and Nissan/Infiniti on how their nav systems work. I'd personally wish they would get rid of the lockout completely like Honda/Acura has but I know Toyota is all about safety so at the very least, they could do what Nissan does, and only lock out a couple of functions while driving and not everything.

Your really better with a Toyota or Lexus to just go and buy a portable Garmin or Magellan nav unit and just use that with no lock outs in the car!

I hope at some point Toyota and Lexus change their thinking/reasoning on this complete lockout feature on their nav systems because, at least for me, it deters me from getting them in their products!
    I would like to respond to your thoughts. It's true that Honda/Acura allows unfettered access to the navigation system in comparison to Toyota/Lexus navigation systems. The Toyota/Lexus navigation systems does allow you to look at Previous Destinations (1st page only), access your Quick Access links (home for example) and Emergency info while driving. I personally think that the passenger should be able to operate the system while the vehicle is in motion - but not the driver. Driver distraction is a big issue... just look at all of the laws surrounding cell phone usage and texting while driving. This issue is a hot topic in the world of Telematics and everyone is looking towards Voice Recognition (VR) as the solution.

The solution offered by Toyota/Lexus (and even Ford with their Sync system) is Voice Recognition. Most Toyota/Lexus navigation systems (sold after 2006) feature a voice recognition technology to allow you to input an address without taking your hands off the steering wheel. Just push the switch on the steering wheel and speak after the verbal prompts or tones... its very easy and very cool! The newest navigation system in Toyota/Lexus (GEN6) is awesome! The GEN6 system even allows you to call anyone in your Bluetooth cellphone without any 'voice training' or transferring telephone numbers after its paired. No need to turn down the stereo manually or hunt for the phone if you want to receive (or place) a call.

Looking forward I think you will see some changes that will satisfy your needs.
    Anybody figured this out yet? I need that badly.
  • uglybastarduglybastard Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2011 Camry with built in navigation. Sometimes I use navigation to get me going in the right direction, and eventually I don't need it anymore, like if I'm going home for example. Once you've started a route, is there anyway to shut off the guidance, other than the Pause button?

Thanks
  • christine27106christine27106 Member Posts: 12
    On my [older] version you can actually "suspend" guidance from the front menu. That satisfies my need to squelch the annoying voice.
    And, if you don't want to look at the screen anymore, press Display and turn "off" display.
    Navguy,
    Good response. I just received my 2011 camry XLE with nav and am shocked that I cannot make changes on the move.. This weekend on the way to Portland OR, my wife wanted to look for restruants for that night. Of course, by going to categories, dinning, it would not allow any changes. So, I used voice recognition and it only showed me 2 restruants within a couple of miles of where I was located. The only way we could do it by voice was if we had the address. It is a lousy system and I home Toyota comes out with a CD that will take care of this problem. 2nd question: If I'm in NAV going to a destination I want to quit navigating and turn on the audi panel. I know I can make the nav screen go black and then go to audio and listen to entertainment but the NAV is still spouting turn information. How do you turn the NAV off and be able to stay in the audio screen with no driving instructions coming up. Thanks ahead of time for your response. This is a bad one from Toyota.
  • christine27106christine27106 Member Posts: 12
    In my system, the POI function (push the icon for restaurants crossed knife and fork) can be done while moving. If you push a destination, it will ask you if you want to "add" or "renew" (I am doing this from memory, so it may be a different word).

As I mentioned before, to quit hearing the voice, you "suspend" navigation.
    In my system, the categories are grayed out so you can't access POI's while driving, How do you suspend navigation. The only way I can find is to go to disp then access black screen. When you do that then go to audio, you can still hear the nav in the background..
    Is there anything out there tht will override the system and allow operation while moving..Toyota never told me this or I would have never spent the money for the system. All you ever hear is "turn by turn instructions may not be available due to blah blah blah" My GARMIN never told me that. In fact, when the Toyota system was not showing me street names, my Nuvi 850 was. I compared the 2.
    I just purchased a Toyota after being a NISSAN owner for 25 years. What a mistake. I justed received delivery on my 2011 CAMRY XLE fully loaded. My wife and I took a trip from Florence Oregon to Portland Oregon about 200 miles. While on the way, my wife a passenger decided to look for a place in Portland for dinner that evening using the NAV system. We found that Toyota does not allow us to make any changes or look for something while moving. We had to pull over in a Rest Area to look. We did try the voice activation and it would only identify 3 places to eat close to where our car was located. This NAV system is a piece of crap and not worth a penny. My GARMIN NUVI costing $200 does a better job than that. I can look for radio stations while on the move or do anything else, but not change the NAV system. It is not against the law to do so so why does Toyota take it upon themselves to impose that limitation. Had I known this when I purchased this car, I would not have purchased a Toyota. After some research, there are many brands that do not limit you for changing locations while on the move. The least Toyota could do is let you choose a category and location to look for a place to eat which is voice activated. Terrible system save your money. What has happened to Toyota? If anyone out there knows how I can override this limitation please let me know. Hopefully Toyota will change this in their next version of CD's and send it to new owner's for free.
  • avvidladyavvidlady Member Posts: 1
    I have yet been able to get the data transfer feature to work on the navigation system in the car. My cell phone hands free is working fine. I have created and selected a group, and is stuck at the data transfer screen. It says it is transferring but never really does. I have left it in the data transfer screen for a long period while driving and I never receive a transfer complete. I checked and not one contact has been updated. What am I doing wrong?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Look up your phone at toyota.letstalk.com to see if there are any known issues with it or to check the transfer instructions.
  • jgallantjgallant Member Posts: 7
    Before you make the purchase check out the nav disc. I would bet that the 2011 car you are getting has a 2010 disc not a 2011. I went over to the dealer to check on it and it's not updated very much from the 2008 disc I got in my 2009.

You might be able get the dealer to through in the new disc when it comes out next month
  • againagain Member Posts: 2
    I cant believe how nice this is, latest map 10.1 and with override. Only works on Gen5 Toyota/Lexus NAV systems. I can tell you where it is available if you email me at cruisin@live.com I received it in 2 days by USPS Priority mail.
    It took me about 10 minutes to replace the DVD and reboot the NAV system and VIOLA. Man, this is GREAT STUFF>
  • nacho71nacho71 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else tried this Gen5 10.1 DVD Nav update with override referred to in message #185 above? It sounds good. Thanks
  • membluessmembluess Member Posts: 2
    You are totally correct the nav system on the 2010 and the 2011 Toyota are crap. I own a 2010 Prius, uses the same nav disk. Yours is version 10.1 mine is version 9.01. Wait till you use the nav to locate a street address. I JUST got my car back after them checking the nav system for 2 days. Complaining wont help. There isnt a damned thing wrong with the system itself. I will bet it shows you perfectly where you are as you drive down any road, but all the addresses are really messed up. It shows I live at a 127 on my street, there isnt a 127 and mine is 139. Not cool when you are driving down a busy road at 35 or 40 and trying to read the 4 inch high house numbers 50 or more feet from the street. I was told by toyota that my unit is within exceptable guidelines. It may be 300 feet or more off at any time. Trust me it has led me into places i wouldnt normally go and left me in the middle of a country road in upper NY telling me I have arrived. Call toyota, they will refer you to your dealer. Your dealer then needs to do a full test of your nav system and file it as some sort of test thing. I was told if enough people do this, the problem will get looked at more closely by the manufacturer. After this is done i was told to recall toyota and they started the arbitration process by sending me some paper work i should recieve in about a week. The part i find odd, I see exactly where I am on any road acuratly as hell. Its the numbering that doesnt even come close. I have driven as far north as upper Mi and upper ny. I live in Fl. Doesnt matter where i am it isnt correct. I slapped a 4 or 5 yr old Magellan on my dash for a week. Got me to the doorstep everytime. It only has one sat reciever where the toyota has 3. From what I have read toyota is in bed with tom tom. Which is garbage if you ask me. I actually owned one for less then 24 hrs a few yrs back. It like toyota relies on TeleAtlas definately one of the worst map makers on the face of the earth. So is it the firmware's inability to read the disk, or is the data disk just garbage? My bet is the disk, but i could be wrong. The dealer has no ability to "flash" the nav system or reprogram it in any way. Hopefully you have as much enjoyment out of the nav system that I paid 2500 for. It has almost gotten me run over, left me in the middle of a field with no houses in site, never gotten me to a POI correctly, they also rely on addresses. I get a really warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that my unit is within toyota specs. The only solution I see is if enough of us take the cars back to the dealer and start the process. But hay, at least the cars now stop. We may have no clue where, but the brakes now work. Actually i know how you feel. i was there when i first got mine. Your only hope, stay on the dealer, get it set up as a test case and get EVERYONE you know that has one to do the same. I do believe the problem is fixable, but it wont be worked on or the vendor pressured till enough of us make life a little miserable for the dealers and toyota itself. The whole situation sucks.
    With regrets and respect:

Bob D
  • membluessmembluess Member Posts: 2
    You SHOULD be able to change the destination and find points of interest using the voice system, there are shortcuts, but basically a lot of sub menus. Mine is a 2010 Prius, so i dont honestly know if you have voice. But they do show some hacks on u-tube. Dont know if i would recommend any of them, but they are on the net.
  • grahamprixgrahamprix Member Posts: 5
    I am going to comment on first, the address the GPS says you are at. Emergency services (police, fire, etc.) use a grid system to find addresses. When homes are built, the streets are usually laid out to abide by the grid system, but when you sit in front of your (or anyone elses) house, the gps shows what address the grid system is for that spot. It will be near the address. That is close for emergency responders who, when close will use spotlights to identify a specific address.

I have a couple '07 Toyota Hybrids (Camry & Prius) and recently got a '10 Prius. They all have nav and I have found them to be quite useful. I have a real estate practice. The system gets me within a few doors of the home. Sometimes it is spot on, but that is all random. All lots are not the same size and if the numbering on each street is in "2's" the grid system will be approximate.

I have successfully merged the '05 file for the Camry, but the Prius, with its DVD player under the drivers seat seemed too sensitive to take anything but an original disc, but the merged copy works well in the Camry.

I'd be interested in a Gen 5 and a Gen 6 if anyone has access to them.
  • john72653john72653 Member Posts: 2
    I am an on-the-road salesman covering appointments in 3 states. I relied on my Garmin Nuvi to deliver me over the past 3 years in just-traded Impala. After 2 days with the Toyota Nav system, I put my old faithful Garmin on top of the dash, as the Toyota system isn't worth the powder to blow it where a GPS can't find it !!! I can add address on the fly with the Garmin; I can tell within +/- 1 minute when I will arrive at the entered address, even on a four/five hour trip; I can turn off the voice very easily with the Garmin. The Toyota Nav system cannot do any of these things! Totally frustrating. On a trip from Memphis to Mountain Home recently, I put destination addresses in both units and the Toyota told me I would be there 2+ hours later that the true time delivered by the Garmin. Unacceptable for being on time (the correct time) for appointments. I like the Audio system part of the Nav system, and would like to be able to set the default screen to see what title/artist is playing; but NO.... it stays on for 5 seconds and then switches back to the navigation map that I cannot use anyhow. Someone from Toyota's design department please tell me why it is safer to not allow you to look away from the road to enter an address while moving, when I have to constantly look away from the road and push buttons to see what music is playing??? BRILLIANT!!!
    If I didn't like the rest of the vehicle's features so much, I would park it back on the dealers doorstep.
  • shc7shc7 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a Camry Hybrid 2011 with Nav. I was a Garmin Nuvi user with a Camry 2004 XLE. I liked the Garmin. The 2011 Nav is one of my favorite things on the vehicle. Enter the Address before you leave and there's no issue. It does give you a time estimate and works off the XM Traffic. You can select preset addresses while driving and you can use voice commands.

It doesn't allow you to type in addresses while driving, which I consider a good thing. Turning off the Camry Nav voice is just as easy as turning off the Garmin voice. You can also turn off auto screen change not to back to the map in 5 second in the settings under setup general.

I would never go back to a Garmin Nuvi that I have to pull off the dash and store away every time I leave the vehicle. I love my Camry Nav. The Camry Nav woman's voice is great and I would never want to change it. I could never find a decent voice on the Garmin and I love the Camry Nav lane assist.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited February 2011
    Different strokes for different folks, I'm exactly the opposite as I prefer the portable Garmin. It's more personal tastes.

- costs substantially less
    - have them in all our vehicles, so no matter which vehicle one drives the GPS operation is the same. No learning curve when moving vehicle to vehicle, or if the vehicle is replaced with something else.
    - can carry and use in a rental vehicle when travelling, or take with you when someone else is driving their car (just in case)
    - can buy a brand new one and get the latest maps, for less than an update CD for manufacturer installed units
    - passenger can change destinations while driving, finding gas stations, food, points of interests

Not having to put away when stopped, and the 'look' of an indash unit remain advantages to car manufacturer indash units.
  • john72653john72653 Member Posts: 2
    The points you make are valid; for some circumstances! I load my first address before hitting the highways, however, quite often I will receive an appointment cancellation and a new address to proceed, and I can have that entered into my Nuvi in about 10 seconds while still avoiding those idiots crossing into my lane while texting! Safety-wise, you are absolutely correct, and if I were that type person, I should also be checking my tire pressures, all my fluid levels under the hood, verifying all my lights are working, all before hitting the road. But that's not me. In fact I have never met that person. But do tell, how do I get the Nav screen to stay on AUDIO function as a default?
  • rozilrozil Member Posts: 1
    hey guys !!! how do you fix 1997 toyota camry's dash clock that is near the steering wheel ??? every thing is working good but just the clock doesn't work ..... what should i do ???
    reply soon plZZZzzz
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    check the fuse
  • camry2002camry2002 Member Posts: 2
  • camry2002camry2002 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2002 XLE. It comes with an in-dash console fro audio and GPS.
    Here's the issue I can't seem to fix. When its on the radio (audio) the panel display turns off after a few seconds. So if I want to change the radio station I need to press Audio and then chnage the station. How can get the panle display to stay on...always? Thanks
  • AXM23AXM23 Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone know of anyone who has/had a defective NAV screen? 1500 miles into my 2011 Camry my NAV screen cracked as I was attempting to enter a new destination address with my pointer finger! I can no longer use the touch screen but the map and radio still work.

Toyota does not want to cover the damage under warranty. I am shocked that they are not covering the damage under warranty. Even the service dealer acknowledged that the damage appeared to be caused by a finger but still refused to replace the unit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I have had this happen to me every time I tried to pair my phones. What I did discover was that when the screen says it is transferring and seems to be frozen, I would make a call and my phone was then paired and stayed that way until I got a new phone. That was the result of many hours of trial and error. My actual discovery came when I was attempting to pair and received a call. It worked. Good luck. No such problems in my "07 and '10 Prius'
    Street addresses in the NAV database are configured using a matrix grid system on a map. Basically, the grid has house numbers spread evenly along the grid. In reality, the builder and the post office spaced the numbers in numerical order. This permits locating a street address in its approximate position to assist emergency responders. To create a database with the exact location of every building in the country is not practical. Driving down the street looking for 127, you will know when you are in the right block and you can slow down to look for it. Before the grid system, homes were all over the place. The 1500 block of different streets would have no relation to each other on the map. This is a pretty good system. Many people expect it to do more than it can.
    Go into the general settings menu and turn off auto screen change.
  • againagain Member Posts: 2
    When contacting cruisin@live.com for the NAV DVD with OVERRIDE, make sure your Toyota/Lexus uses the Gen5 navigation system and not the newer gen 6 found on 2010 and 2011 cars as it will not work. Also, the disks will not work on any Prius due to a inferior DVD player. AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 2011 will be Ver 11.1 with override for Gen5. email your requests now.
  • awp6awp6 Member Posts: 1
    2011 XLE Camry. In dash navigation system: Entering addresses: How do I enter a dash - in a phone number? There is no dash on the screen for me to select so I enter a star to separate the first 3 numbers from the following 4 numbers. The owners manual picture shows a dash in a phone number but I can't find the command to enter the dash.
  • gobetsgobets Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I just bought a pre-owned 2010 camry with all the bells and whistles. I was very excited with it at first, till I tried to use the navigation. Even when stationary, I cannot input addresses as the button is grayed out. I can also search POIs only with phone number !!! All other options are grayed out!!! this is ridiculous. The voice command also does not work, even though the botton on the steering wheel is recognized in the diagnostic screen, which means the button works.

Does anyone know anything about this? I am very disappointed with the Toyota.

I appreciate any replies or help in overcoming this.
    Which button, exactly, is grayed out? Did you make sure to set up your region at the beginning of setting a destination? You can't go to set an address without first setting the area you are in.
    Should be no need to enter a dash. Just enter in the numbers.
  • lee1991lee1991 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question: i just bought a 2012 Toyota Camry SE with NAV, but some how the Navigation is not working right. anyone able to help me? when i drive on the highway the NAV not showing all exits or street name alone the highway..
    for ex:
    || ||
    ||*Fish Hatchery Rd ||*Park St
    || ||
    ========================================== highway
    || ||
    || ||
    || ||

not showing any exit or the street name on the Map, just the road with no exit and no name of the street.">
    Is this the "Display Audio" system (it has an "Apps" button) or the "Premium Nav" system (it has a "Map" & "Dest" buttons)?

In any case, this sounds like something you might to contact Toyota for.
    http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    We don't permit buy/sell offers in our Forums. In addition, this "backup copy" may (or may not) be illegal to sell or redistribute.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jgkkmillsjgkkmills Member Posts: 1
    we are in the same boat, was curious if you were able to figure this problem out.