Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Start Up/Ignition

124»

Comments

• 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Are these the new body style Malibu's or the "Classic" Malibu body styles? In 2004 and 2005 GM made the "Classics" and the new body styles. It may help to figure this out if we knew which ones for sure?
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    I have a 2005 malibu LS 3.5 liter engine and i have had similar problems with the starter still cranking after the engine has started and the key has been released from the start position. There is a service bulletin (hot start) starter not disengaging after starting ,had the computer re flashed with updated software upgrade and solved the problem. Now eighteen months it occassionaly does the hot start and does fire the engine but not like when it was new.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    From 2004 and on there is a Classic and Malibu Z body. When I read a Malibu post 04 or newer I never know if it is Classic or Z body. Not everyone knows the difference.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Chevy made the Classic in 2004 and 2005 as a fleet car. The new body style was also made starting in 2004.

There was also a Malibu classic in the 70's as well as a Silverado classic in the 90's.

It is used often to use up the old body style parts even though a newer body style has been introduced.
  • mstred82mstred82 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 05 malibu classic, it has about 90,000 miles, I have delt with many problems with this car like the anti theft lock, wich i was willing to cope with. about 2 weeks ago I tried to turn on the car and everything shut off there was no electric current as if the battery had died. After a while it would re-set but every time i tried to turn it on, the same thing would happen. I read in a forum that this had happened to someone else and they put the car in nuetral, and cranked it. So I tried this and it worked. It was working fine but now sometimes it will do the same when in neautral has anyone had this problem.
  • bav_fan07bav_fan07 Member Posts: 68
    We have a 2004 Chevy Malibu LT. For some reason, randomly the car does not start. We are wondering if its the battery but I doubt this since the car starts on other occasions. Also when the car doesn't start, the radio, turn signals and dash all light up and work.

The only way to start to car is to give it a boost. Besides the battery needing to be replaced has anyone else heard or experienced this problem before? We are also suddenly having problems with the remote starter. When we try to remote start, the light just flashes and the starter gives up.

thanks
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    Check TPS for smooth and linear electrical response over the entire range of motion. If not, replace.
    No 1st, 4th or TCC lockup available, Manual 2nd, 3rd and Reverse are only available gears, CEL is on: Transmision is either in limp-home mode or has lost electrical power. If there are lots of error codes in the PCM, check the underhood fuse that powers the transmission, and if it pops again, look for a short in that circuit like an O2 sensor harness touching exhaust. Otherwise, check PCM codes for a particular fault in the transmission causing the PCM to put it in limp-home mode.
    EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid failed. Easy fix in pan. Fix as soon as possible or hard parts will eventually break.Broken spring(accumulator)
    Just some things to look at !
    We are having a problem with our horn. When we honk, the noise is not clear, it almost sounds as if the horn is worn out. Anyone know if this can be replaced?
  • azdougazdoug Member Posts: 9
    disconnected battery on a 98 malibu 3.1, when battery reconnected the gas gauge will not return to show amount of fuel ,it is on the opposite side of the pin that arm rest on ,tried disconnecting battery again, but gauge wont reset help
  • rhobdyrhobdy Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I had the same issue, I had to have the key ignition replace. The key was not making contact, and this would cause my anti-system to shut down. Once I have the Ignition replace the problem stop.

The problem that I am experiencing now is with my car is not getting gas. I've had the fuel pump replace three times, and I am still experiencing the same issue. Hope you can advise.
  • maliboo04maliboo04 Member Posts: 1
    My car just did this same exact thing to me...except its not starting at all now. Calling the dealership to come get it and check it out. I know its time for a tune up but to stop starting all together...just hoping its not too expensive this go around. I will post again once I know the outcome.
  • lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    For those of you who have a 1997 - 2003 Malibu and have been having problems with the Security system keeping you from starting the car, read on....

I am a retired GM Electrical Engineer. I own a 2002 Grand Am, and had this problem two years ago. I bought a Shop Manual for my car ($130.00), and worked out a way of bypassing the Passlock II system on my vehicle. After making the modification on my car, I have not had a single instance of No start caused by the Security system.

Last week, as a favor to a friend, I performed the same modification on a 2003 Alero. It took less than an hour. (not counting the time I spent taking photos of my progress) The modification was successful on that vehicle.

Details of the modification are posted on my personal website at:

http://www.bergerweb.net

There are instructions on how to do the modification using two methods. Both methods bypass the security module in the ignition circuit. One bypasses it at the connector to the Body Control Module, which is under the glove box. The other does the bypass near the ignition switch, which can be reached by removing the radio.

The Malibu, Grand Am, and Alero all used the same security system in certain models, and the bypass method works for all of them. Please post back if you find the instructions useful.

Richard Berger
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    Richard,

I have 2005 and 2006 Malibus, and have no such problem, but I did take a look at your site... Wow, what a treasure!... I've got to explore the stuff there, later -- seems very instructive no matter what model I have...

Thank you for sharing your experience in such a thorough way!
  • lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    edited October 2010
    malexbu,
    Thanks for the compliment. I doubt if the instructions on my site will help you, as your vehicles have (I think) a newer system, which uses a key with an embedded chip, and is considerably more reliable than the Passlock II system. (My 2007 Cobolt has the new system). You can tell because the keys with the embedded chip have a "+" stamped on them right below the plastic handle. There is, however a way to keep from spending $35.00 per key for replacement keys. When you lose one of your keys, take the other one and go to a hardware store and have two common duplicates made, at $1.50 each. Then take your remaining key with the chip in it, open up the shroud that is around your ignition switch, and tape the transponder key inside the shroud. You will then be able to use ordinary keys to operate your car. The key with the embedded chip needs only to be close enough to the ignition switch so the vehicle can receive it's signal.

Docl B.
  • carrie16hcarrie16h Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I know you posted this a while ago. I have the exact same car and the exact same issues and every time i take it in the car won't do anything so I look like im making it up. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?
  • carrie16hcarrie16h Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Malibu LT with 74000 miles on it. I have had problems with it not wanting to start unless I give it gas. It does not happen all the time and I tak it in and they find nothing. I have ad problems with the remote start not working and the curise will not work all the time and of course it works when I take it in. Any Ideas I need Help asap as my warranty is up friday and the dealer says they don't know what is wrong with it
  • rajinder_palrajinder_pal Member Posts: 4
    hi,
    my problem was that my car's battery got discharge problem some time once a month. i just check the pattern and found that there i used to remove my car keys when my transimmission stick is on Drive "D" (i.e my ignition switch) was faulty.
    Yeah...the starting problem was COMPLETELY the battery.

I had the battery checked before, and the meter showed it didn't need to be replaced...but someone at the GM dealership recommended the battery change...instead of paying through the nose for diagnosis, I went with an independent mechanic and replaced the battery (it was 5 years old.)

That did the trick. No problems starting since.
  • awil28awil28 Member Posts: 13
    Hey everyone i could really use some help ive been trying to fix my sisters car and im stumped. we bought the car with a 3.4l in it from a chevy venture, it had overheating problems and suspected head gasket failure w/ no oil coolant mix. I have replace the following; head gaskets, head bolts, heads were resurfaced and a shim was added with head gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, throttle body gaskets, injector o-rings, spark plugs, plug wires, oil change and filter, thermostat, cooling system flush, power steering pump, air filter, fuel filter, and fuel pump along with some other things like tires and rotors and brakes but those wouldnt cause the problems. after all that work was done and the car was reassembled it will just crank all day but wont start, there is no fuel pressure but there is spark and proper compression. the relay under the hood clicks but neither the old pump or the new one makes any noise and the there is no power at the connection. i was looking around and came across all of the complaints about the passcode theft system and it deactivating the pump and injectors. my theft light is on and it stays on and does not blink. i have tried the ten minute reset thing and i tried the resistor bypass thing, and the car still only cranks and will not start. anybody have any help at all they can offer ill answer any other questions you might have. thank you for any help,
    Only one post for same problem please, avoids confusion.
  • rmjrjayrmjrjay Member Posts: 1
    hi, I have a chevrolet malibu classic 2004,and i did the bypass thing to it and it didnt work,the car start in the cold morning but after driving the car for around 20 min it wont start,i place the key in on position and the check engine light is on and i can hear the fuel pump working and the car can start,but if i place the key in on position and the check engine light dont come on then the fuel pump doesnt work and the car wont start,i replace the fuel pump relay and still having the problem,i took out the relay and i place a tester in one of the slots and then i putted the key to on position and the tester light was weak and the check engine light off and when the check engine light is on the tester light is stronger,looks like the relay is receiving low volts from somewhere
    plz HEEEEELP
  • synfulyxinsanesynfulyxinsane Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you have a short, they are very hard to catch in the act. Keep at it.
    Maybe ignition switch, the electrical one not key. Should be mounted on back of key switch assy.
  • bullred00bullred00 Member Posts: 4
    I am having the exact same problem, my mechanic or dealer can't find out what the problem is. Seems like outside temp is effecting what is happening. Same exact problem with check engine light, hearing fuel pump, etc. Where you able t find what the problem was, cost, any info will help. Thank you!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    bullred00

Were you planning on taking the vehicle to the dealership to be looked at? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Thanks for you reply! I already took it to the dealership and they had no clue after diagnostics. They just wanted to change the fuel pump to see if thats what it was, $700 for the pump alone! Also my reg mechanic of 11years diagnosed it as well. outside hot temp seems to have a definate effect. What do you suggest? Thank you!
    Caron, just got to my car after the heat of the day and the check engine light came on when I turned the key to on, heard the fuel pump come on and she cranked up right away! The problem started back in April when the temps started to get hot here in Pensacola, FL. Also when the check engine light does not come on, the fuel pump relay makes buzzing sound, changed that out.
    Thanks!
    bullred00,

I would recommend having the dealership involved Technical Assistance. I would also like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Thanks, email sent tonight.
    Thanks,
  • kacilynnkacilynn Member Posts: 1
    im wondering if u found out what was wrong with the car i have a 05 malibu that has been nothing but problems. got in to leave today and same thing only in addition i had to disconnect the battery cuz it was starting to smoke and stink. omg hope u have some insight for me.
  • fparker187fparker187 Member Posts: 1
    For what it is worth, I had a long history of the car intermittently not starting. I tried all of the standard remedies and finally took it to a shop near me. Turned out to be the ignition switch itself. Changed it for about 300$, have not had any problem since.
  • chevy_malibuchevy_malibu Member Posts: 1
    p1676
    p1665
    p0135
    p0141

P1665 GM EVAP Vent Valve Solenoid Control Circuit
    P1676 GM EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control CKT

as a note, this vehicle has a bad battery. I plan on replacing it tonight. Not sure if that could possibly be related.

I've got two o2 sensor codes which I've had forever. I've now got the two top codes related to the evap.

car won't start unless i spray some sort of flammable spray into the air system. Then it runs just fine. I don't know where to start. I've hear an ignition system is a common cause of this which would suck because I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder. should have replaced the whole thing. LOL.

I've also heard that if the EVAP is having problems it can blow gaskets, foul plugs etc. It also says something about vacuum leaks but I would think the car would show that when running. It runs fine. Just won't start without spray. And I wouldn't think the ignition would be this either but I obviously don't know much.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well sounds like your problem is fuel delivery. I wonder if your fuel pressure regulator is draining (leaking) and you're losing fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Have you done a fuel pressure test with a gauge plugged into the fuel rail just prior to a hard start/no start?
  • striker180striker180 Member Posts: 3
    What you would like to do first is get a pressure tester on the fuel system and see what it reads whenever you just turn the key on......it should read around 60-65 psi. If it does that's great but let it sit and see if the pressure drops....If it does drop then that will cause a hard start whenever it sits for a while ie. when you try to crank it in the morning...To fix that problem you would have to pull out the fuel pump and take out that line between the actual fuel pump and the line coming out of the fuel pump top.....it looks like a line with 2 humps which contains the check balls that go bad.....replace that with a simple straight fuel line and you'll never have a problem with that again.....

If you get no pressure at all, you will want to start by going to the fuel pump relay and finding that lead that supplies power to the fuel pump itself.....send power to that wire and listen for the fuel pump to kick on, you can also see it on the fuel pressure gauge....if you get nothing then put it all back together and have someone beat on the tank with a rubber mallet or just straight hammer will you try and crank it and if you get it running that your for sure in the market for a fuel pump.......

I hope this helps
  • striker180striker180 Member Posts: 3
    a Gm doesn't leak fuel pressure at the regulator but more so the check balls inside the tank between the fuel pump and the line coming out......replace that double hump setup with a straight fuel hose and your good to go...
  • grlmalibugrlmalibu Member Posts: 1
    HELP anyone. two weeks ago my malibu was stolen. (why i have no idea) any ways i now have no ignition just the plugs to plug one into. So i went to pic n pull got what i needed but now have to have key made. does anyone no how to put it in after i get a key made? someone told me it cant be done but i just dont think that is true. what wasn't there i have now so its just the connecting it all that bogs me. aggravated and fed up.
  • 05mal05mal Member Posts: 1
    I've had similar problems for the past couple months. I've also had issues with the vehicle not starting right when it is "luke warm". It usually starts the second attempt, but struggles the first time. I have noticed that my gas cap isn't fitting appropriatly and that needs to be replaced. But EVERY time I fill up with gas, when i'm driving down the road after the gauge goes to empty and the low fuel indicator comes on. Some times when i'm driving it will build back up, sometimes it takes until I start the car next.

Did you have any luck in resolving this?

I have a Chilton Car manual and the trouble shooter section says that the fuel pump and or fuel filter may need to be replaced. I'm capable of both tasks, but Before I spend a few hundo on parts, i'd like to think that im' buying somethign that will actually solve the problem.

Thanks

Tom
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Did you ever figure out why your Malibou engine temperature gauge was not working? I am having similar problem now on my 04 Maxx.
  • sparkle8sparkle8 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having trouble with my 2000 Malibu starting. It was working fine. Then my engine had problems, and I had to have the gaskets replaced, as well as the battery and some other parts. Now, it takes several tries to get the car to start. If I turn the key to the "on" position first and let all the lights come on and stop blinking (usually takes 10 or so seconds), the car will start the first time maybe around 70% of the time. Also, every once in a while, the engine stalls when I am driving it. It will restart immediately. I took it to the mechanics, but they couldn't reproduce the problem, so they couldn't diagnose it. What could be the problem?
  • cpaiz89cpaiz89 Member Posts: 1
    did u ever find out what wrong with your car. because i have a 2003 chevy malibu with similar problems
  • newlatitudenewlatitude Member Posts: 3
    There is a sensor on the ignition assembly, and a magnet in another part. We ended up replacing everything, key and all. We were reluctant to spend money, when we did not know it would fix the problem. But that did solve the problem. I would recommend getting all of this off of ebay, or Amazon.
  • lhw87lhw87 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I am having the same issues with my 2005 Chevy Classic. Have had the ignition replaced twice. I keep telling the dealer that the problem is the theft deterrent system, but what do I know, I'm a woman!!! Anyway, my key does not have the "+" stamped on it, and the dealer also keeps telling me that the system cannot be bypassed. Do you think your instructions will work on my vehicle? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • sperksperk Member Posts: 1

Does anyone think this new ignition recall will be effective regarding the passcode problems?

What troubles were you experiencing with your passcode, sperk? If this is something we can look into further just private message us your VIN and mileage, with a few more details of your concern. Thanks!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@sperk said:
    Does anyone think this new ignition recall will be effective regarding the passcode problems?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited July 2014

If your Pontiac Grand Am or Chevy Malibu has ever had ignition problems, a reporter would like to hear from you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 15, 2014 to share your story.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews