Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture Transmission Issues

2»

Comments

• cach22cach22 Member Posts: 12
    No, I never did. The jerky shifting seems to come and go whenever it pleases. I have noticed that it is most notable when it is hotter outside. Why? No idea. The Lucasoil treatment seems to have made an improvement although it does not solve the issue completely. I have just learned to live with it. I hardly notice it when driving anymore even though it still happens.
  • gwmsgwms Member Posts: 3
    The trasmission shop went through 4 transmissions, the last a new factory transmission, the main computer, new transmission cooler, etc. In the end they were still wanting me to keep it so they could figure it out. It was costing us both too much money so put a halt to it and traded it in. It was a money pit for me and them. They said over the years they get a situation like this 1/1000 that they just can't figure out. I'm glad I got rid of it.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    If you do decide to bring your car to the dealership and would like Customer Assistance to help you work with you and your dealership towards a resolution, please email Christina via the email provided on the forum with your name and contact information, VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • grimmfamgrimmfam Member Posts: 2
    Sarah
    we just found out that our 2002 Chevy Venture with only 75,000 miles on it has a slipping transmission. Is that normal for those low miles? We had an extended warranty on the vehicle that we purchase when we bought it used in 2004 (was a really great warrant that took us up to Nov of last year - 2010 I think). Any chance of getting some help with that transmission? I've also noticed many times of the past year that the transmission will buck when shifting at about 30 to 40 MPH. I love my van and do not want to give it up at this point (paid off and low miles). Thanks for your help.
    Laurie Grimm
    newport Vermont
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We would be more than willing to look into this for you, but I cannot make any guarantees up front. Please email us your contact information, VIN, and the name of your involved dealership and we’ll begin our processes here.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mmaskillmmaskill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chevy Venture. It was leaking what I thought was oil for a while, turned out to be leaking transmission fluid from the transmission cooling line. Off and on for about 5 months it would not go from "park" into a gear right away. Now it is doing it most of the time. Yesterday we changed the cooling line and the trans fluid read "full" even though a lot came out when we changed it. I drove it last night and it was fine. Today same issue, taking almost 5 minutes to "jerk" into gear. When I am driving it, it seems fine and shifts fine. It is only when it is sitting for a spell. I am trying the "do it yourself" options before I sink a lot of money into it. Any suggestions on what to try next?
  • monelmanmonelman Member Posts: 1
    It is a selinoid in the transmission. Cost to repair in Huntington, WV at Jerry's transmission was $500.00 two years ago when mine was repaired. Have put another 30K miles on it with no problem.
  • bdolatabdolata Member Posts: 1
    sarah,

I am having same problems love my van but hearing the nightmares I want to make sure before I do anything costly I am a loyal GM customer and want to keep it please help. Let me know how I can get into contact with you .

Thanks

Brian
  • karl44karl44 Member Posts: 1
    hello i was wondering if you figured out what was wrong with your transmission? mine is taking around 30 seconds befor it moves. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
  • teverittteveritt Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT that we've owned since new. The car has 90K miles on it and has never been in any accidents. The car has been well maintained by the dealer including their recommended transmission flush service every 30K miles. The transmission has been working fine with absolutely no whines, harsh shifts, or anythings. All of a sudden last week, while my wife was accelerating up our driveway, the transmission just lost all gears and seemed to be in neutral (It does shift in and out of park ok, and reverse gears seems to work. Only forward gears are gone). No trouble lights or check engine light every comes on with the transmission not working. We had the car towed to the dealer and they say we need the entire transmission replaced at a cost of $3000. Has anyone had this occur where the transmission goes from working OK to suddenly needing to be repaired with no indication of trouble? The dealer is eagar give us $700 toward the purchase of a new vehicle which is indicating something fishy going on here.
  • grimmfamgrimmfam Member Posts: 2
    Don't do anything until you contact GM. I'm having trouble with my 2002 with 80,000 miles and am trying to work with them to have it repaired. The more they know these vans and the transmissions issue the more likely it is we will all benefit.
  • jantoniojantonio Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out anything from GM? I have a 02 venture with transmission problems.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2012
    Although possible, a failing transmission will often give warning signs. Ours started downshifting hard and making clunk sounds when doing so. When that happened, I pulled the dipstick and noticed black fluid and the burnt smell. It then went to the dealer and was diagnosed as transmission failure. Specifically, the GM dealer service receipt said: "REMOVE AND TEAR DOWN TRANS PLANTERY GEARS AND SHEEL IS BUSTED REBUILD TRANS."
    Parts replaced were carriers, dam, bearing assembly, bearing, gear, transmission kit, torque converter (remanufactured part used), gear rear, cleaner, and ATF fluid.

Ours is the Olds Silo version with the same tranny and was purchased new in Sept. '01. Tranny failure occurred Sept. '03 at app. 26,286 miles. All repairs were covered under warranty. So far so good at 11 years and 130K miles on odometer. I changed the tranny fluid and filter myself at app. 75K miles.

I hope GM/dealer will lower the price below $1K to get your tranny rebuilt or replaced, especially considering that you had all service done at GM dealers. There is no reason for a properly built, maintained, and normally used automatic transmission to fail before 200K miles of use.
  • uniq1979uniq1979 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

That sounds a bit fishy to me. I say that because I have a 2003 Chevrolet Venture and it has over 200,000 miles on it and the transmission has never stopped working. I have been having problems with the shifting and it needs a TCC Solenoid, other than that it's still going. I know I will need one after awhile. If you have been maintaining transmission flushes and you only have 90,000 miles on it, I don't see how all of a sudden you need a new transmission and a offer to buy a new vehicle. Doesn't sound right at all!
  • ethan100ethan100 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Chevy venture has 120K miles. Until recently is was fine as far as the trans goes. Now it works for about 200 yards, the trans whines, and I'm without thrust. Before I go down the money hole, what happened to my trans?
  • akinpaakinpa Member Posts: 2

I'm getting a low toned winding down noise when slowing to a stop. Occasionally I will get a bump before the van gets moving from a stop. Haven't noticed a pattern to it's exhibiting these signs. It has107K miles and 24K from the last transmission service (fluids). Thanks!

• akinpaakinpa Member Posts: 2

Another ques. My owners manual is MIA, from something I read elsewhere, can't find it, there is a special procedure to checking the transmission fluid. Can someone tell me what it is?

• gerrywitjesgerrywitjes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Venture, and only recently started experiencing this same slipping transmission and noisy clunking gear shifts, with a high whine for the engine. I noted that this seemed to occur mostly after having to accelerate out of a turn (Hwy on ramp, accelerate into traffic from corner turn, etc.) or if needing to apply some power when climbing an incline (usually when on 20%+ Hwy grade). Stopping the car for a few minutes and turning ignition off seemed to reset the issue until it started to recur.
    + Again, since this only just started to occur, I was reminded that we had some cooler mornings of late, and I needed to use the defrost setting for the fan. This means that the compressor is being activated. So lately I've been trying to see if the problem recurs when I intentionally don't engage the compressor (front window defrost) or air conditioner. So far, so good. At least that may resolve symptoms for why it occurs, but not yet how to fix it.