Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Headrests

drc28drc28 Member Posts: 1
I am in the process of choosing between a SAAB 9-3 and the Solara SLE convertible. My major problem with the Toyota is the poor visibility out of the rear window with the headrests and the small window. Also, a recent article in Motor Trend said that the rear window turns into "jelly" and is a very difficult to see out of when that happens. I do love the style of the Toyota especially when the top is down , however, am concerned about the visibility. My current car is a sedan and the rear visibility is perfect. However, i know that it is different in the convertible. I didnt expect it to be dangerous. I have read all the posts and would still love any comments on how everyone manages to drive with it and can live with it.

Comments

• indykenindyken Member Posts: 6
    Regarding your concerns about the rear visibility...I just got out of a tundra access cab with excellent visibility and when i drove the solara converible off the lot I was sure I was going to hate it. A few days later and I don't miss the tundra one bit!

The back window does take a little getting used to, but once you're there and you know how to use the mirrors, etc, it is a breeze. My back window does not "turn to jelly." Overall, I'm really VERY impressed with how stable the windshield, dash and rear window are. Sure, there is a little shake, but not nearly what I noticed with the Volvo convertible, and the Sebring? GET OUT OF HERE! That thing felt like it was going to fly apart over every bump in the road.

I have about 700 miles on my car (with a lot of rainy midwest days) and I've never, after the first few days, felt there are ANY visibility problems. It's a learning curve, but don't let it stop you. I didn't drive the lates Saab convertible, but the Solara is much better than the last saab body!

Good luck!
    Ken
  • ravenmaniacravenmaniac Member Posts: 8
    No problems w/ the rear window "turning to jelly", but the small rear window and the headrests definitely take some getting used to. I was in an Accord sedan and could see everything. Ater 1,000 miles on the solara, I'm pretty comfortable in normal driving, but backing up is still an adventure and I dread the thought of parallel parking in a tight space.

I mentioned the visibility problem to a friend. He quoted a trucker friend who is fond of pointing out that the center/rear-view mirror is a luxury... just rely on the side mirrors. So the other day I let this friend drive - with the top down - and he too complained about the headrests obscuring his view!

Buy it anyway!
  • candycandy Member Posts: 4
    I was thinking of removing the back seat headrests to create more visability. Someone mentioned to me though that they might offer some protection in a roll over. Didn't read anything about any type of roll over protection in the owners manual at all. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
  • smz2smz2 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone successfully removed the rear headrests from an '04 or '05 convertible?
  • smz2smz2 Member Posts: 7
    Were you able to remove the rear headrests? If so what did it entail and what did you put in there place? Thanx (I think it would be great)
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    The headrests are part of the roll-over protection system. They cannot and should not be removed.
  • tstarkeytstarkey Member Posts: 2
    I've done my research on convertibles and decided that the Solara SLE is the best value for the money... but I hesitate to buy one because of the IMHO major visibility problem seeing what's behind you. I drive on heavy traffic, high speed Xpressways in Miami, night and day. And the view you get out that rear window with the top up just isn't good enough for safe Xpressway driving, let alone backing out of a spot in a crowded parking lot. I saw a white Solara convertible yesterday that simply removed the rear head rests completely. Is this legal/advisable? Are there any other ways of getting around this (IMHO) fatal flaw in this otherwise excellent convertible.
  • douggreendouggreen Member Posts: 10
    The rear headrest serve as rollover protection, primarily for those in the back seat. If not illegal, at the very least it is inadvisable to remove them. If you are ever in a wreck and anyone in the back seat is injured, you can say goodbye to your house, car, and everything else you own.

Visibility in the Solara is only slightly worse than other convertibles. IMO, the blind spot caused by the side of the top itself is a bigger issue than the headrests. This is part of the price you pay for a convertible.

By the way, the visibility with the top down is great. If I lived in Miami, I'd probably never put the top up unless it was raining.
  • tstarkeytstarkey Member Posts: 2
    Doug, even in Miami, 90% of the time you're going to have the top up. When I got behind the wheel of the Solara at the dealers, and tried to figure out what rapidly moving traffic behind me would look like, especially at night on the Xpressways, I just didn't feel confident that I'd have the visual information needed to drive down here. BTW, I have owned three convertibles in the past (in Miami), and while there's always less visibility than in a regular coupe, I've never seen this much visual obstructuon of the rear window (or such a small real window either).
  • fiordlandfiordland Member Posts: 1
    do you know when the '06 Toyota Solara SLE convertible refresh is coming out? I heard from a dealer here in No. Cal that they have builds in the system now -- should be avail late Mar or early April 2005. Can anyone confirm? This would explain their $1k cash back on the '05's right now...

thx.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    My 2005 convertible (which I'm having major regrets about due to the discussions about rear visibility -can anyone see anything out of the rear view mirror? I never sat in or drove the car before ordering -I just drove the coupe) is due around the first of April. What will be new or different on the 2006? Perhaps I should have either waited or ordered a coupe. Of course I couldn't see anything out of the rear view mirror on the trucks I've rented either and I seemed to drive them ok on expressways.
    I really worried about the rear window visibility after reading all these posts but after taking delivery of the convertible I don't really have a problem with it. You can see traffic behind you and on the corners of the back window -which is pretty big for a convertible- but really need to use the mirrors for side views because of the top. The rear headrests cut into visibility but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
  • breyerchickbreyerchick Member Posts: 3
    I had so many regrets on my 2005 Solara SLE convertible purchase that I traded it back in for a 2002 identical to the one I traded in for the 2005.

I am short and the lack of visibility was a real safety issue for me. I didn't notice the problem when I purchased it because I test drove it with the top down.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Visibility is an issue as it is with most glass-backlight ragtops, the past two generation Corvettes being some of the biggest offenders. Becoming proficient at using your side mirrors is a pretty easy fix for 99% of the situations that you find yourself in though.
  • breyerchickbreyerchick Member Posts: 3
    I drive an Econoline for a living. I am proficient at using side mirrors. I have to be in a van that large.

I think the true bottom line for me is that I just didn't like the vehicle as much as I do the previous generation Solara. The outside package is outstanding. It's what drew me to trade my old one in in the first place. It just didn't live up to my expectations in handling, maneuverability, or visibility as well as the ' 02/03 version does.
    that is too bad, the previous generation Solara, aside from some shake, was a very nice car. You were lucky to get your old one back!
  • smjoesmjoe Member Posts: 1
    You mentioned that the rear headrests of the solara convertible serve as rollover protection. The dealer mentioned the same thing, but did not seem very confident in it. The
    convertibles with pop up rollover like bmw, audi, volvo, saab etc. all advertise their rollover protection but toyota does not? Do you know if toyota is safe in a rollover and where I might be able to find more info on it?

thanks.
  • kittylady5kittylady5 Member Posts: 13
    Can the rear headrests be removed like the front in the 05 convertible? I find that they block 2/3's of the small window view.
    You're right. It was the first thing I noticed. The front headrests come out entirely. They should design it so that the rear ones can come out as well. I find that they take up 2/3's of visibility. Backing up will be no joy.
    I noticed a Lexus convertible the other day. It seemed to have the same headrests. Someone said that the back window on the 2006 Solara was larger than the one on the 2005. The headrests in the back contribute to roll over protection I understand. They don't have them on other convertibles though -perhaps Toyota is a safety leader.
    There wasn't headrests in my 04 coupe. Someone should come up the the brilliant idea of designing a "pass-thru" on a convertible.There is way less trunk space in the rag top. I noticed that the boot sits very high compared to my Mustang Convertible. You can't see headlights on the car directly behind you. I wish I could take them out. I'm getting a vinyl "boot" bag made for storing the boot. My Mustang had a case. They should come with one for storage during the winter. I found some beautiful laser cut clear floor and trunk mats from Exactmats. You can still see the colored carpet through and they are slipproof. The trunk mat is great for spills.
  • adam10adam10 Member Posts: 7
    I bought an 06 SLE in May, and the rear headrests are terrible vision blockers on top of a small rear window to begin with, especially compared with my past 2 Sebrings. Being an engineer, I had to take them apart to see why. I took a bunch of photo's but since this is my first post I don't know how to add them, Any body know how?
    In any case, the rear headrests are indeed rollover bars of about 1@1/2 inch tubular steel shaped like an upside-down letter 'U' with some flat sheet steel bracing for a child car seat to click into. See the owner's manual for reference.
    Surprisingly with the plastic and foam headrests removed (easy), the vision out the window is greatly improved, and if the center bracing was removed (welded on) they would be no problem at-all to rearward visibility.
    I'm looking at a way of removing the sheet bracing and painting the roll bars 'tan' like the seat and making the headrests slip-on-off as the case may be. 'On', if passengers are in the rear seat or the top is down, 'Off', when the top is up, especially from Nov-Mar in St. Louis.
    If there were more Solara Convertibles around, I think after market suppliers would latch onto a fix. I think Toyota will eventually offer alternatives like pop-up roll bars like the 'big guys'.
  • aspinneitaspinneit Member Posts: 1
    I agree with your opinion of the rear head rests. We VERY rarely have anyone in the back seat, and want to remove ours. Any information you are willing to share would be appreciated. As they are part of the safety systems of the car, our dealer is not willing to help.

Have you devised a cover for the mounting area that is exposed?
  • suzannes1suzannes1 Member Posts: 11
    I am not sure how to post pictures, but would be very interested to see what the head rests look like without the plastic and foam. I have a 2004 which the rear visibility is horrible, from what I hear the headrests and window is slightly better on the 05-06 models, but still terrible. Please share whatever information you can on removing the headrests, I think many people would be as interested as I am. Thanks for your posting! Suzanne in CT
  • wtfay13wtfay13 Member Posts: 2
    Adam 10:
    I am not an engineer. I am a toy salesman. Would you share with all us frustrated Solara convertible drivers---how do you remove the entire head rest or at least how do you remove the plastic & foam
    thank you
    Neil
    The desperate driver.
  • socalnewbiesocalnewbie Member Posts: 2
    I've had my new 06 for a week now. I mentioned to the dealer during the test drive that I'll just remove the rear headrests for better visability; he didn't bother to mention that the headrests are not removeable. So this thread is of great interest to me!
    Please pursue an answer.
    Thanks in advance,
    SocalNewbie
  • wtfay13wtfay13 Member Posts: 2
    I am not sure if the 2006 rear headrests are the same as the 2005. So this question might not apply but I will ask anyway.
    HOW DID YOU GET THE REAR SEAT HEAD RESTS OFF?
    Right now I am more concerned with the visibility aspect than with the roll bar aspect.

I hope to hear from you
    Thanks in advance,
    WTFAY
    My best guess is that they do not come off, at least easily. They are safety items, not meant to be tampered with. Kinda like the old practice of cutting out the seatbelts. For all of you non-automotive types and kids, yes, this really was considered an ok thing to do, especailly when automatic shoulder belts were widely introduced in the early '70's.
    My reccomendation, learn to drive with your mirrors. I will admit that they are difficult to see around but you can adjust.
    I have back-up sensors on my new truck and have to admit, they should be standard equipment on EVERY new car or truck produced.
  • ktremktrem Member Posts: 9
    I am going to be picking up my 06 se solara convertible next week. I am interested to learn about the sensors, Where to get them and cost?
    I am also interested to know what else I should know when I pickup the car?
  • wknightwknight Member Posts: 1
    I've been enjoying the forum for a couple months, it's time to join. I plan to buy a new car next year and am between the Solara sle convertible, the acura tsx, and the acura A4 (convertible if at all possible $$ wise). Of course my dream car is the new T-bird but that's another matter . . .
    I do like the look of the solara, wish it could be a little shorter (and more Lexus-like). Am concerned about visibility - the 06 is supposed to have a different headrest but I haven't seen it.
    I've read many reviews and it's pretty well rated except some find it boring. With enough hp and torque, I don't mind boring.
    wknight
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    A little shorter would mean a useless rear seat. Maybe that isn't important to you, but if you've ever seen a Lexus SC with the driver's seat adjusted very far back, and you'll see that there is NO leg room at all. But for $62,000, who cares?
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I've had my 2006 Solara SLE convertible for a month now, and I don't find a problem with the rear view. It may be because my other cars have high rear ends as well, and I've become accustomed to side mirror driving. Nonetheless, the rear view in the Solara really isn't that bad top up or down. What a nice car. I'm glad I bought it.

I read this site before I purchased, and wanted to look at and sit in one before hand, but there was none to be had. The only ones are those that are ordered, and they are off the lot as soon as they come in, as with mine. My car arrived late Saturday 9/4/05, and they told me that I'd better hurry to get it because others were offering $$$ to buy it out from under me. And really they were.

Even as I was doing the final paper work on my purchase, many still wanted me to back out of the deal. A beautiful car (black with dark gray leather) and the only one on the lot, I sealed the deal and told them to place the sold sign on it. I've been back to the dealer a few times since my purchase, and still haven't seen another one on the lot. So they are moving fast. I haven't seen many on the road though. That makes it rare, and that's a good thing.

thebug...
    They are roll over bars inside them for safety. You shouldn't remove them. My 04 coupe didn't have back headrests.
    You shouldn't they are covering roll over bars for your safety. I just got used to them.
  • ktremktrem Member Posts: 9
    Anyone feel the car is a bit sluggish from 0-20 mph?
  • plengpleng Member Posts: 14
    I had a 2004 that had a noticeable lag in downshifting when exiting a turn or otherwise wanting to accelerate from low speeds. This made the car seem sluggish until it downshifted and then it took off more than I really wanted. The dealer reaction in 2004 was that the car would "learn" to downshift sooner if I drove more agressively. I now have a 2006 and there is no lag in downshifting. I have read that here is a technical service bulletin TC006-05 that addresses the lag in downshifting. You may want to check this with the dealer.
    Long overdue response to you and Suzannes #800, and Wtfay #814. I laboriously wrote an 1,000 word response, which evaporated while trying to enter the link to the photos, don't have the energy to do it all again. I think ordinary people will get all they need from the pictures , if they are there. Adam 10">link title
    Well, lets try again, this time using 'photobucket'. Pictures included,
    (I hope) about the Solara Convertible Rear Head Rests vision blockage. Go to the link below where I have posted about 15 pictures on the subject. My explanation of each one vanished just after finishing, and I'm too lazy to redo it, its pretty obvious anyway.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/c351/gcadam/">link title
  • rojoand8rojoand8 Member Posts: 1
    Just got on the message boards for the first time to find out about our "oversized: rear headrests on our 05 Solara. How do I access your link. I think I need your password.
    Joyce
  • herobergheroberg Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a problem seeing with the oversized rear headrests? Can they be removed?
  • crimescenecrimescene Member Posts: 10
    I bought mine 4 weeks ago. When I test drove it, the top was down and there was no problem at all. Once back at the dealership, I checked the top and how well it went up and down. I never paid attention to the poor visibility...until now. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it because of the poor visibility out of the rear window. Other than that, I love the car. Let me know what changes you've made. I'm willing to try anything.
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    The headrests in the SLE convertibles are another b-i-g change - now you can see thru the centers of them.... definitely improve the visibility factor!
    Really? I wonder if you can change out the headrests rather than changing out the entire rear seats? We've had ours a month and were actually thinking of trading it in.
    Prbblem solved!!! I went out today and traded in my 2006 (5 weeks old) for a 2007. The visibility out of the rear is greatly improved. NOW, the wife is happy!!!
  • h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    How much extra did the trade cost to upgrade to the '07?
    Wow...you don't dilly-dally, do ya???
    Where did you do the trade? I actually would prefer an 06 (I know, call me crazy, but I don't like the redesigns front & rear :P )...maybe I can buy your "old" one! :)
    The difference in price was about 4 thousand. But, the '06 already had a little over 20 thousand miles on it when I bought it. Since I've done business with this dealer in the past, I managed to get just about everything back on the trade in. The 4 thousand was worth it. The '07 is much nicer. :)
    I prefer the 2007. If there had been any on the lot, I would have gotten one of those first. The 2006 was all they had and the wife fell in love with it. The '07, I think is much sharper and crisper looking. They are both the SE models but the 07 has much more standard features. The hollowed out rear headrests make a huge difference in visibility. I love the hands free phone system where you pair your phone to the car and then touch the button, say the name or the number you want dialed, and BOOM, you're all hooked up, handsfree. The conversation comes through the audio speakers and the microphone is above the rear view mirror. This has less than 200 miles but I swear, the ride is much smoother. It was well worth the money to "upgrade" to the 2007. If you're in Florida, you can pick up the 06 at Sun Toyota in New Port Richey. :)
  • h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    Wow! You did great. The '07 sounds nice. What color combo did you get?
    Ah... a gadget junkie! ;) We have a GMC Envoy XUV with OnStar, and the handsfree capability of that IS neat - when it works! Voice recognition hasn't been quite perfected yet.... I just use the earpiece for my cell.
    Anyway, the 06 SLEs are disappearing fast... lots of SEs around, but I would like an SLE - with tan top and ivory interior but I don't want red or black, or cars bought at auction from a 'major car rental company' in Florida (lots of those around...hmmm...). Maybe I'm picky, but I'm driving a 1990 Maxima 5-speed that is fantastic..and still m-o-v-e-s! I've scouted dealers from NC, VA, DE, and NJ. So, after 16 years, I figure if I don't see what I really want, I'll wait. But I'm glad you & your wife like your 07...happy drivers make the world a better place!