Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    I dont want to be labeled a "amsoil zealot" whatever that is
    but I have been using it over 25 years in all my vehicles,
    they have a broader range of oils,they make their own oil
    and air filters.I am a dealer but mainly to get the oil easier,will get to anyone who wants it for my cost.they do not have a filter for the av yet so I have been using the
    toyota one.I will probably change the filter at around the
    4 or 5k life of the oil and go from there.(will check color
    and maybe take a oil sample).
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    Personally I use Mobil One (Syncrude Canada where I work is partly owned by them) however I do not have the easy availability of Amsoil to test (400km from Arctic border). I think the Ams is as good (if not better) then any other fully synthetic oil. Understand however that when we ship our synthetic crude it goes to a variety of buyers. Amsoil does not have a crude oil refinery they simply purchase synthetic basestock, and add additives to it and further separate out the differing weights we purchase as consumers.

Bottom line: Use Amsoil or Mobil 1, you are 450% better off then conventional oil if you drive with heavy loads, extream heat conditions or cold conditions. (Or just like me, like to have the peace of mind knowing that your 25k+ baby is looked after to the best of your ability.

Would you agree?

Netwon
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    Unless they show you a bulletin from toyota themselves and you should even get a copy of the special bulletin, the owner's manual "ALWAYS" prevails. If he didn't produce an bulletin, he can not force you to do all those things unless they actually need them. Did he threaten your warranty with Toyota? I'd call Toyota cust service and file a complaint. A dealer has no right to threaten to void your warranty by refusing optional service not in the manual.

Steve :shades:
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    a quick question for you guys... I have an 07 Avalon xls...when the car hit 1000 miles, i went ahead and had the dealership change the oil and filter using toyotal conventional oil and filter... I told the service writer that I would be switching over to sytnthetic oil probably at around 5K... he told me I shouldnt do it, that I should wait until the car has at least 10 to 15 thousand miles on it...he said i could hurt the seals by going to synthetic. Personally, I have to wonder about that... after all, corvetts, porches, and a number of other high end vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil in them... why dosn't it hurt thier seals? and is there any reason I should wait for 10 or 15K to switch over?

Roland
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    A couple of weeks ago, the MAINT REQ'D light came on to indicate the need for an oil change. I thought I could turn it off by holding down the trip odometer button while the ignition was on. Didn't work and I still don't know how to disable that message. Anyone have a suggestion?

Dandydon
  • rustyroyrustyroy Member Posts: 1
    Have a 06 Avalon and did my first oil change a month or so ago thanks to the instructions I found here on this site.
    I've used AMSOIL for about 15 years now thanks to a tip from a guy at work. Ran a 86 Camry on it 'til I gave it away, still running but not much power, at 220 thousand. Ran a 96 Camry on it from new til 100 thousand, my daughter has it now and still running AMSOIL. Also use it in a 94 Civic and a 87 Nissan pkup. Last but not least I used it in a 79 Chevy pkup.
    Instructions I got from my friend that I follow is to add 1 quart instead of regular oil at an oil change then use just AMSOIL at the next. Per AMSOIL I run 6 months, change my filter only, then at 1 year change oil and filter.
    One of the things that made me a fan - The Chevy truck leaked from every gasket and the main shaft seal after changing to AMSOIL, heard it would do that on an old engine but I was younger and more energetic then! Changed all the seals and then ran the truck for a year when it blew a head gasket, ( inline 6's do that). Decided to tear it down and do rings and bearings while getting the head ground. Inside the engine I found that everywhere oil was sprayed under pressure the metal was as clean as new with NO sludge at all, other places had quite a bit of buildup, these were places that did not have oil sprayed at them.
    Truck was sold at 185 thousand due to body rust. The engine went into a delivery truck and had daily use for about 5 years after - not sure what oil was used.
    Engine maint. lite I cleared by following the owners manual.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Hello guys.. quick question for you. do any of you that use mobil 1 oil, also use the Mobil 1 EP oil filter.. if so, can you tell me which filter is the correct one for the 2007 avy... the reference book at the autozone I went to today didn't have any mobil 1 information for this years filters. thanks.

Roland
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    Loosen the filter slightly and then put a Baggie or equal around it to catch the oil and spin it off. Zip the Baggie shut.
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    My book for the 2005 Avalon tells me to:
    1. Select the total milage odometer.
    2. turn the engine power off.
    3. hold the odometer toggle button in.
    4. power up the engine (not start it).
    5. hold the above until the milage reads all -----.

That's it.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Thanks, John. Works like a charm, but I sure couldn't find it in my 2006 manual.

Dandydon
  • manav82manav82 Member Posts: 16
    I have found replacement blades for the 2007 Avalon. Samsclub.com has them for the lowest price I have seen ($14 each). They are also available thru cardomain.com for a little bit more.

You can get more info at gobrands.com or call them at 888-485-8468.

Valeo ULTIMATE® OE Wiper Blade
    Make Selected: TOYOTA

Model Selected: Avalon

Year Selected: 2006

Driver — Part No: 900-26-7
    Pass. — Part No: 900-20-7
  • schaffnerschaffner Member Posts: 2
    Have a Toyota 2004 Avalon and am stumped on trying to get the glove box to drop out of the way so that I can change the filter located behind the box. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think you just press the sides together at the bottom of the drawer and it falls down.
  • schaffnerschaffner Member Posts: 2
    WOW! your answer came in just a few minuets. It worked and I do thank you.
  • gatorleetgatorleet Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting ready to change the timing belt on my '97 Avalon. I'm considering getting the water pump replaced too while they are in there. What other items should I go ahead and have changed? Camshaft Seal, crankshaft seal, Crank/Cam Sprockets? I would think it would be a good idea to get them changed out now as if they fail/leak in the future, I would have to shell out the same amount to get them replaced. I have about 90k on the Avalon now. Thanks.
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    One of the things you should change also besides the water pump and sprockets is the belt tensioner.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • gatorleetgatorleet Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Steve.
  • cps21cps21 Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious as to the mileage on your '97 and is that
    what is prompting you to change the belt? I also have a
    '97 with 56k miles with some oil leaks, and am debating
    change the belt. Thanks cps
  • cps21cps21 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97XLS with 56k miles, Toyota says replace at 60k,
    I'll be taking a trip soon should I go ahead and get it
    replaced now. Are there any signs, noise etc that a belt
    needs to be changed. Your suggestions, Thanks cps21
  • amberpamberp Member Posts: 1
    I also want to change the engine air filter but on my 2005 Avalon. I see the 3 clips but still cannot get the top off to get to the filter. Has anyone done this???
  • obafunque1obafunque1 Member Posts: 13
    My Toy. Avalon 2000 XLS with 120K miles. Worked with Eng. light on for almost 6 months. Suddenly, car shut off when depressing gas pedal. Scanned with OBDII and codes for the three Oxygen sensors shown. Replaced all three with brand new sensors ( Nippon Denso). Engine light continue on and same problem shutting off when gas pedal depressed. Scanned again and this time shows Bank 1 Sensor 2 faulty?????? Sick and tired with this problem that I am facing since last year. I have spent almost $600.00 and looks that nothing is getting better. Very frustrated with "good quality Toyota". Any help, please?
    Obafunque
    :mad:
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    The air box has two hinge type pivots on the back side, you don't need to fully remove the top of the box, just release the front clips and pull the top up enough to get the old filter out and the new one in. Be sure the top lines up and fully seats in the bottom before reattaching the front clips. If you have partially dislocated one of the back hinges you will have to move the top around until it goes back in before the clips will attach correctly.
  • domoadomoa Member Posts: 1
    I have been changing the oil on my cars since my 1950 Chevy, in-lie 6, with the oil filter cartridge on top of the engine and very easy to get to. What has happened to the old days when things were simple and engineers didn't outdo themselves making things more and more complicated.

This new oil filter system on the new Toyotas in which you only change the filter element has me confused. After reading the instructions on the filter element box, I am still confused. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks Don Morrison
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Domoa, think of the filter assy. like this :
    The small removable cap in the end is simply to drain excess oil from the filter housing-slick idea. Take it off, plug in the plastic fitting and oil will run out (the piece of hose makes it more controllable).
    Use a filter wrench to unscrew the main filter housing. Remove old filter, insert new filter (It will only fit on center post one way), replace big o-ring. Re-install filter/housing on engine. This is a metal to metal fit (o-ring provides seal) so finger tight is not enough. Torque slightly.
    Replace o-ring on small cap and reinstall, again metal to metal fit.
    It looks complex on instructions, but if you do it once, it's pretty simple. It's the old filter cartridge with more pieces!
  • jmilkovitzjmilkovitz Member Posts: 1
    I am about to take my 2006 Avalon, Touring in for the 30,000 mile service. I know that the dealer is going to try to talk me into doing things that are not really necessary. What really needs to be done at 30,000. I would say that I am an average driver driving under suburban conditions. Would you say that the Edmunds maintenance schedule would be a good guide?
  • toofasttolivetoofasttolive Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Avalon just passed 110K miles. I bought it new. Other than oil changes and tire rotations I have never done any maintenance. Never had a problem. It runs great. Should I do something or just leave well enough alone?
  • eddenniseddennis Member Posts: 4
    Use the service schedule in the owners manual that came with the car. While Edmunds is OK, they don't build them or warranty them. If you want to do some of the work yourself, you can buy and install the air filter yourself.
  • r6264r6264 Member Posts: 1
    Need to replace fog liht bulb in my 2003 avalon, anyone know the proceedure w/o going back to the dealer??
  • zizzerzizzer Member Posts: 1
    I like to change my own oil most of the time. I just purchased a 2006 XLS 2006 avalon and when I got under the car I didn't see a n oil filter but I did see a metal thing that looked like it could contain a filter but it hadd a square hole in the center of the metal cylinder. Is the filter inside this cylinder? Whats required to get it off if it holds the filter? thanks

Zizzer :confuse:
  • marstilmarstil Member Posts: 5
    I used to work industrial trade shows and often ended up in a booth with the Royal Purple regional guy. He had an interesting test rig with which he would put pressure on a rolling ball with various oils lubing the ball. The synthetics always outperformed the mineral oils by a longshot. Interestingly, he also had lots of testimonials and oil test results from truckers, etc. who would run their rigs a million miles and not change the oil, only change the filter and add oil. I started doing that with my cars and have run every one of them to over 150k miles with no oil related problems. I even have my Iawn tractor and snowblower on the stuff. I do hedge my bet and drop the oil in the cars at 50k miles and refill, though. I just bought an Avy 2007 and changed to RP at 4k miles. I drop the filter at 3k and add, just as I've done with all my cars. I expect this Avy to run with no problems just as long as the three Toyotas, one Chrysler 300m, and a Dodge Durango that I've done this with. Wife's '97 V-6 Camry has 89k on it now and I took the valve cover off to check on it because that type of Toyota engine has been known to sludge up and fail. Engine galleys were clean and shiny. Son now daily drives the 300m and it now has 178k on it. Synthetics are the way to go.
    See # 232 in these discussions. It's easy to do; it's simply a retained filter housing with a paper filter inside. You remove the housing and replace only the paper filter inside along with a couple of o-rings...very simple. And the filters are cheap, too. I've found my local Toyota dealer to be the cheapest at around $5.00/ea.
  • alan48alan48 Member Posts: 1
    After changing oil in car, with smart key system how do I get maint. required light out? called dealer and they said hold trip A button in while starting, did not work. Also tried odometer button as book says and trip B button, no luck. Please help
    Oil Change Reset Procedure

Step 1 Switch display to the odometer.

Step 2 Turn the "ENGINE START STOP" switch or the engine switch to the OFF position.
    Step 3 While pressing the trip meter reset button, turn the "ENGINE START STOP" switch or the engine switch to the ON position. Continue to press and hold the button until the trip meter displays 000000.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Does anyone know where to locate the transmission dipstick on the '05-'08 Avalon?
  • dodge77dodge77 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately I don't have an owners manual for my 2007 Avalon Touring. I have read elsewhere that it is necessary to recalibrate the TDMS system after rotating tires. Can anyone provide me with the procedure to accomplish this recalibration.

Thanks
    Manual says system will not work properly if tires are rotated on vehicles requiring different front and rear pressure (07 Avalon pressures are the same) or if normal tire pressure is changed. I have rotated tires twice with no problem.

If re-initialization of TPMS is required:
    Adjust all tires to correct cold tire pressure.
    Turn ignition switch to ON.
    Push and hold tire pressure warning switch (push button located under dash to left of steering wheel) until TP Warning Light blinks slowly three times.
    Wait for a few minutes with ignition switch ON, then turn switch OFF.

If TP warning light does not blink slowly three times, try procedure again.

Hope this info helps.
  • dodge77dodge77 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you popsavalon for sharing the information concerning the TPMS on my 2007 Avalon. I can see that I am going to have to break down and purchase an owner's manual in the near future. Happy motoring !!
  • gilseidmangilseidman Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone have a suggestion on how to change the car battery without losing the information in the computer in order to avoid reprogramming the radio and other accessories?
    I know mechanics have a special device for this but this advertisement claims it does the same thing: (scroll to bottom of page).

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/auto-jumper-jumpstarts-car-without-cables.cfm

You dont need a very big battery to preserve radio presets.
  • arif_csearif_cse Member Posts: 1
    hello guys,

i got a new avalon 02 XL, there is dash board light which is on.
    the light is right down corner one.the symbol is is yellow.
    and symbol shows a car and arrows @the back .iwant to know waht that light means........

PLZ help ......

thanks in advance...........
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Hello arif cse

I'm not sure what that indicator light is on your car.. I have an 07 xls and I looked in the owners manual to see if I could find any warning lights that looked like what you described... the only thing I found was a symbol of a car with 2 squiggly lines, also at the back. According to my owners manual, this symbol is; 'slip indicator / traction control system off light. This may or may not be related to your icon... but hope it helps none the less.

Roland
  • markjsmarkjs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Avalon, and would like to change the spark plugs. The front three are cake but the rear three are under the intake manifold. I have two questions:
    -- Must I take off the intake manifold in order to be able to change the rear plugs, or can it somehow be done with the manifold in place?
    -- If I only manage to replace some of the rear three, will it cause any problems? (My gut is that it will cause some kind of imbalance if some plugs are old and some are new.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I had a 1997 Camry that described the rear (3) spark plug change as "may be necessary to remove the intake manifold". However, I found that with various combinations of long and short extensions and a universal connector, it was actually pretty easy to get at all the plugs and change them. I came up with a workable combination for all rear plugs before I actually removed any of them.

You are correct about the need to change all plugs at the same time.

I seriously doubt that dealers remove the intake to change plugs on these engines.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    the dealers may be well aware that these days changing spark plugs is mostly a waste of time, money, and knuckle skin.
    Check out the site below. I has a good description and good pictures of the procedure.

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf
  • markjsmarkjs Member Posts: 2
    Well, since posting this issue I jumped in and attempted to change the plugs without knowing whether I'd be able to do it or not; I was able to do it! And, I didn't have to remove the intake manifold!!

It wasn't easy -- what should have taken a half hour took three hours! -- but I got it done. It's unbelievable that you can actually maneuver everything around so that you can replace the rear three plugs, but those clever people at Toyota have made it so that it's just barely possible. The trick is to have enough tools so that you can situate your wrench at just the right distance from the plugs (there is only one spot where it will work). So, you have to have at least a short and long extension for your socket wrench. Also, it's important that they all fit together tightly so that you can extract them if necessary (and, when you put a plug back in, it's necessary).
  • chiczchicz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Avalon w/70k miles. The Toyota dealer recommends an engine flush and a Valve Clearance Check be performed. They want almost $500 for the Valve Clearance Check and I am concerned about the engine flush. Does anyone have any suggestion about whether or not these would be required or have any experience with either?

I also thought that the 2000 Avalon had VVtiming w/hydraulic lifters; if so, shouldn't they be self-adjusting?

Chic
  • hawiianavownerhawiianavowner Member Posts: 76
    I just had the same error light...it means one or all of your 3 brake lights are bad. In my case it was the center one. I had to slide the rear center speaker (sub woofer) housing forward to get at the brake light. Since I've already changed the gasket on my sub woofer, it took like only a few minutes.
  • dpm4dpm4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Avalon. Specifications in the manual call for 6.4 qts of oil with a filter change. Problem is that after after draining the oil and installing a new filter cartridge, when I have added back only 6 qts, the dipstick shows full or a little over. Should I go with the manual requirements and put back 6.4 regardless of what the dipstick indicates or should I believe the dipstick that the engine has a full load of oil. Thanks, dpm4